Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #14058

Subject: "any SIGNS reviews?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
SugarCane
Charter member
12416 posts
Fri Aug-02-02 04:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"any SIGNS reviews?"

just want to know what people think. should i go see it?

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i'm going to see it today
Aug 02nd 2002
ok...it does look good
Aug 02nd 2002
mixed feelings
Aug 05th 2002
... mixed feelings ...
Aug 04th 2002
Yes
Aug 04th 2002
RE: Yes
Aug 04th 2002
      nope....
Aug 04th 2002
I loved it but...
Aug 04th 2002
Very disappointing
Aug 04th 2002
touched by an angel?
Aug 04th 2002
It had many good points
Aug 04th 2002
      well i didnt think it was that preachy
Aug 04th 2002
      RE: well i didnt think it was that preachy
Aug 04th 2002
      I agree
Aug 05th 2002
      RE: well i didnt think it was that preachy
Aug 05th 2002
      did you see frailty?
Aug 04th 2002
           nothing wrong with religion
Aug 04th 2002
           RE: did you see frailty?
Aug 05th 2002
*maybe some spoilers ahead*
Aug 05th 2002
frickin' great
Aug 05th 2002
I didn't like the ending
Aug 05th 2002

the2ndsurvivor
Charter member
3106 posts
Fri Aug-02-02 04:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i'm going to see it today"
In response to Reply # 0

it looks pretty interesting so i'll report back

Look over to your left...yeah, up in the corner. As a suggestion, you may want to take two.

SugarCane
Charter member
12416 posts
Fri Aug-02-02 04:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ok...it does look good"
In response to Reply # 1

i hope it is.

the2ndsurvivor
Charter member
3106 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 01:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "mixed feelings"
In response to Reply # 1

what i liked...the alien/supernatural stuff was more of a backdrop, it wasn't the primary focus of the movie; the point of the movie was basically showing how things aren't always coincidence, sometimes it's just meant to be

what i didn't like...i would have liked to have seen the issues of the main family developed more, it would have gone on better with the point of the story; developing the characters more in the beginning would have made the ending a bit better

overall...i'd give it a C+

Look over to your left...yeah, up in the corner. As a suggestion, you may want to take two.

halfthejob
Charter member
860 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 04:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "... mixed feelings ..."
In response to Reply # 0

I went and saw the movie last night ...

... See, I enjoyed MOST of the movie -- I loved it up until one particular scene (which I will not mention for fear of ruining someone's experience of it). But, where the movie lost me was in it's philosophical message -- or in the theology which was cloaked over the message. I'm a practicing Buddhist of the Mahayana tradition, and my world-view does not always mesh with Western beliefs, Christianity, or American pop-culture. And, this was a movie where I experienced this clash of beliefs ... This movie has its share of both pop-culture and Christianity ...

... But, I loved the movie up until a certain scene (and that scene is very late in the movie) ... I imagine most folks will enjoy it ... Peace.

Peace

halfthejob

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 08:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Yes"
In response to Reply # 0

it's good.

I liked it more than his last 2 flicks, but you'll definitely see his steez.

one
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

INKtheZionCrewRep
Member since Jun 27th 2002
14916 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 10:36 AM

5. "RE: Yes"
In response to Reply # 4

does it have a really good twist at the end as his first two did??

Kenny Fresh
www.Bling47.com

(by the way, my screenname's lame.)

THEdirtyone
Charter member
12088 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 11:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "nope...."
In response to Reply # 5

no twist....
this is not really a spoiler.... If you go see the movie, after about the 1st 1/2 hour you'll realize there's no twist.... there's some dry humor, that's not really haha funny, but some people were laughing I guess....
there are certain scenes that are supposed to make you jump out of your seat, but if you're familiar w/ the suspense/horror genre, you'll be more entertained laughing at other people jumping out of their seats....
7.5 out of 10,could have been a high 8 or 9, but the ending sort of fizzles out as M. Knight gets psuedo-theological/philosophical....

You know, we could all be reading a book right now.

Melanism
Charter member
20451 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 01:33 PM

7. "I loved it but..."
In response to Reply # 0

...if you competely hated 'Unbreakable, don't go see it. You might not appreciate it.

m e l a n i s m

"think of how humbling it is to realize that the world wouldn't be the same if one person did not exist"
--Radiohead musings
------------------

MELANISM.COM'S MP3 OF THE MONTH:
Freeway - What We Do
(produced by Just Blaze)
http://melanism.com/song/freeway.mp3

http://www.melanism.com (updated August 1st)
Come Visit The World-Ignored Web Site!!!
------------------
http://dropheavy.net/5dvs (updated June 19th)
The Five Deadly Venom Spitterz are Back!!!

The Moderator is infallible
Any questions: http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

-------------------
http://twitter.com/Melanism

jsmooth995
Charter member
2752 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 03:05 PM

8. "Very disappointing"
In response to Reply # 0

There were a lot of things I liked about this movie, in fact it could have been great...if it didn't turn into an episode of Touched By An Angel.

I could never give thumbs up to a movie that insults my intelligence (and my beliefs) this much. Very disappointing, I really thought M Night was hipper than this.

http://www.illdoctrine.com - where hip-hop vlogs?

SugarCane
Charter member
12416 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 03:58 PM

9. "touched by an angel?"
In response to Reply # 8

damn. i'm still gonna check it out eventually. i did hear that i shouldn't expect any real "thrills" even though they are calling it a thriller.

jsmooth995
Charter member
2752 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 04:26 PM

10. "It had many good points"
In response to Reply # 9

i really liked about 75% of it. good suspense, great comedy, m night is second to none working with child actors.

But the other 25% was so lame I walked out wanting to punch Shyamalan in the face. A friend described it perfectly:

"The 'core' of the movie was a crappy, obnoxious, poorly executed 'this is a message from the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-day Saints' commercial."

delafro
Charter member
3352 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 04:53 PM

11. "well i didnt think it was that preachy"
In response to Reply # 10

but i also didnt think that we'd actually get to see the aliens, either

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 05:28 PM

12. "RE: well i didnt think it was that preachy"
In response to Reply # 11

Me neither. I mean the dude was a priest struggling with his faith. The events of the movie led him to again question his faith. Since the movie was told from his POV it made sense and it wasn't overly preachy. I'm sure if it centered arround his brother, the ex baseball player, it would have been rife with baseball and sports iconography (I'm not counting that one scene at the end). I saw the climax of the film a rationalization for him to indeed find strength in his calling especially after his brother berated him earlier. Believe me I'm no big fan of organized religion but I saw the humanistic quality in search rather than a spiritual one.

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 02:14 AM

19. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 12

I'm also no fan and I wasn't bothered much by all that. It was a movie about the family, not aliens.

-----------------------

kevineras
Member since Jul 11th 2002
4979 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 03:42 AM

21. "RE: well i didnt think it was that preachy"
In response to Reply # 11

nice avatar

"Ain't nothin' street about me, more like a light post/Shinin' above all, who are y'all to boast?"
- Pos

"My rhymes be blowin' up chat rooms all over the internet/And causin' collisions on the highway of information." - Talib

"Do what you feel, and feel what you do." - J-Live

Constantly Getting Play:

J-Live - All Of The Above
Sublime - Robbin' The Hood
De La Soul - AOI: Bionix
Weezer - Maladroit
Al Green: Greatest Hits
Deltron 3030
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
Ugly Duckling - Journey To Anywhere
N.E.R.D. - In Search Of...

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 05:31 PM

13. "did you see frailty?"
In response to Reply # 10

because in this you can still believe if you want to that it really was all just coincidence, whereas in Frailty ***SPOILER*** you find out that the crazy religious folks were right. Yet i didnt hear alot of complaining about that one. See in this he has a speech about the two groups of people and some people see coincidence as just that, so if you want to you can believe it really was just coincidence that the girl always drank water and that the moms last words were "swing away" especially since "See" meant nothing. and if that does steer him towards religion, why does that bother you? could it not have been the same movie if he had been a buddhist monk and all this led him back to his beliefs?

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

jsmooth995
Charter member
2752 posts
Sun Aug-04-02 06:08 PM

14. "nothing wrong with religion"
In response to Reply # 13
Sun Aug-04-02 06:52 PM

The fact that he turns towards religion does not necessarily bother me. In fact I think if I were christian I'd be even more offended by the ludicrous brand of "faith" promoted in this film. In the world Shyamalan presents here, if you only believe in God he will spoonfeed you the answers that tie up every single loose end in your life, so there is never any real tragedy or injustice or even ambiguity.

Yes he includes this speech suggesting there are two types of people, those who believe and those who don't. And as the film evolves he leaves no room for doubt as to which of those groups is on the right path. No intelligent film would have so heavy-handedly and condescendingly endorsed one side over another.

M Night is supposedly a big fan of "You Can count on Me", which is why he had the Culkin in this, and originally cast Mark Ruffalo in Juaquin's part. That's funny to me after seeing "Signs", because "You Can Count On Me" had the polar opposite approach to faith and spirituality, so much more nuanced and even-handed.

EDIT: I think I understand what you mean, that what he was really trying to get across was that Mel Gibson was interpreting everything as "signs", but from an objective standpoint it was supposed to remain ambiguous. But if that's what he was trying to do I don't think he did it well at all.

Mu5ic L0v3r
Member since Jun 24th 2002
562 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 01:04 AM

15. "RE: did you see frailty?"
In response to Reply # 13

> especially since "See" meant nothing.

*****************SPOILER********************

I thought that to, but upon further viewings I noticed that after his flashback where she told him to "see," they flashbacked to the part where he was telling his brother about the two groups. And how one groups views things as coincidence, and the other groups see's them as miracles. She wanted him to see the miracle in her death, is what I took away from it.

-------
http://www.myspace.com/robido_de_libido

soul creator
Member since Jul 06th 2002
10339 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 02:09 AM

17. "*maybe some spoilers ahead*"
In response to Reply # 8

yeah, I sort of had that problem with the movie also...I sort of rolled my eyes at the idea that God sends space aliens to cause a worldwide scare, and kill some folks, just so that one guy could get his faith back, lol. Some kids would probably be traumatized at an experience like that, not thankful to the lawd for nearly getting them killed.

But that's just my personal philosophical ideas I guess. The movie itself is pretty damn good and tense. I dare say it's his best directed movie (as far as cinematography, camera shots, pacing, etc.). I want to go watch sixth sense and unbreakable again to compare.

--

--
Rappity Rap: http://www.soulcreator.com/

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 02:12 AM

18. "frickin' great"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought it was his best movie, I liked it a lot more than Sixth sense and unbreakable. There were some great scenes in this movie. The end could have been handled a little better I think, but it wasn't bad.

-----------------------

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 03:07 AM

20. "I didn't like the ending"
In response to Reply # 0

I C how the writers tried to tie in all the "unrelated
incidents" leading up to the climax, however I didn't like
the spook explanation of it. Otherwise it was a good flick,
and gives a different perspective on ecosystem dynamics.
Peace.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #14058 Previous topic | Next topic