Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #14007

Subject: "Homicide: Life on the Street" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jul-26-02 07:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Homicide: Life on the Street"

If there has ever been a better show aired on network TV I've never seen it. I didn't get to see this show much during its original run, I think it was on Friday nights at 10 and I was probably out raising hell somewhere when that time of the week rolled around. It's now being rerun in syndication at 1 AM Mon-Fri. on Court TV. If you haven't watched it regularly, do it this time around, if that doesn't fit into your schedule tape it and watch them at a later date. It's well worth it.

This shit is on a level reserved for only the best HBO shows and in my opinion it can top or match almost any of those (this is made all the more difficult by having to do it by network standards). The characters are some of the most well-developed and multi-faceted put onscreen. The actors who portray them are all phenomenal (the best probably being Andre Braugher as Frank Pembleton, he literally owns every scene he's in. Some day I need to make it a point to watch everything he's ever been in because between this show, Glory, Get on the Bus, Thick as Theives, etc. he's one of my favorite actors working.). The storylines are generally good and somewhat open-ended, leaving you thinking instead of just resorting to the usual "good guys-get bad guys-episode over" formula that even the good legal dramas usually do. Not to mention, many great actors have done guest spots for an episode here or there because of the show's rep and many a reknown director has helmed the show for an episode or two.

I guess all I'm trying to say to those uninitiated is "watch this show"! And to those who have, post your thoughts/impressions below. peace.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i'm a pembleton fan.
Jul 27th 2002
did u see the movie???
Jul 27th 2002
never saw it.
Jul 27th 2002
      yeah
Jul 28th 2002
they had
Jul 27th 2002
great great great show...
Jul 27th 2002
RE: Homicide: Life on the Street
Jul 27th 2002
RE: Six Degrees of Tom Fontana
Jul 27th 2002
Jul 27th 2002
Jul 29th 2002
BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 27th 2002
RE: BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 27th 2002
Jul 27th 2002
Jul 29th 2002
I love Homicide
Jul 28th 2002
RE: I love Homicide
Jul 28th 2002
Jul 29th 2002
well he's on law & order: svu now...
Aug 05th 2002
      RE: well he's on law & order: svu now...
Aug 05th 2002
My favorite drama ever.
Aug 05th 2002
Aug 05th 2002
Aug 05th 2002
Aug 09th 2002
i'd buy the dvd.
Aug 10th 2002
subway episode.
Aug 11th 2002

Gloworm
Charter member
6077 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 03:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i'm a pembleton fan."
In response to Reply # 0

it was a great great show.

the guy that was cut in half by the subway train...best episode maybe...
was bayliss gay
did bayliss kill that guy
felton's head....

i love homicide.

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 05:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "did u see the movie???"
In response to Reply # 1

†holy smokes & jesus†

www.uppitynegress.gov

Gloworm
Charter member
6077 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 01:15 PM

8. "never saw it."
In response to Reply # 3

answered some of those ?'s, huh

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Sun Jul-28-02 04:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 8

†come to the park & play with us†

www.uppitynegress.gov

Zesi
Charter member
24062 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 05:59 AM

5. "they had"
In response to Reply # 1

a pbs special about the train episode...the documentary, and then the episode...w/no commercials! we taped it, it MAY be around the house somewhere. But that one sho was good.

I love Pembleton, but Meldrick was my MAN!

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 05:03 AM

2. "great great great show..."
In response to Reply # 0

if it weren't for my mother it'd had been lost on me
they usually show a marathon of it on memorial day {or is it labor day???} then u can really catch up

~a bit of trivia
amy brabson who plays frank's wife on the show is his wife in real life

†holy smokes & jesus†

www.uppitynegress.gov

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 05:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: Homicide: Life on the Street"
In response to Reply # 0

I LOVE "Homicide"! I'm just pissed that Court TV relinquished it to the late-ass 1am timeslot. A while back, it was on at 11 or 12 and that was a lot more doable when I had to be at work in the morning!

Are you watching "The Wire" now? Quite a few Homicide alumni on there! And I adore Andre Braugher, although I never really got into "Gideon's Crossing". I'm not sure why...maybe it was the writing? I think the show was cancelled, anyway. Wouldn't it be great if Braugher showed up on "The Wire"? Like, maybe he could be the new lieutenant after it's revealed that Daniels really is dirty, like McNulty's FBI buddy warned. ks

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I predict...................Nadal will embarrass dudes" - Deebot

http://www.facebook.com/kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.last.fm/user/TasteeTreat/

FamineisDead
Member since Jul 04th 2002
29 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 05:10 PM

9. "RE: Six Degrees of Tom Fontana"
In response to Reply # 4

If you pay attention Tom Fontana is a writer on the show. If you continue to Pay attention Fontana created OZ. Alot of the actors on OZ are the same on Homicide. You may also remember a Law and Order/Homicide crossover. Much is now on Law and Order-SVU. Also Edie Falco was a character on Homicide and went on and did work on OZ and Sopranos. The episode with the man trapped on the train featured Vincent D'nofrio(Law and Order:Criminal Intent) and a patolwomen (can't remember her name) who plays the officer on Oz that sleeps with ryan O'relly. And In a final piece of connection The man who created Homicide created The Wire.

BoilingWaterGenitals
Member since Jun 24th 2002
6802 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 06:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "RE: Six Degrees of Tom Fontana"
In response to Reply # 9

The Wire is the shiznit!

the internet's best: www.theonion.com

a pic of me wearing a Raggedy Ann wig, a skirt, and a Puff Daddy(R.I.P.)shirt, and playing an accordion: www.thevirginsofpolaris.s5.com

"Signed to Rawkus? I'd rather be mouth-fucked by Nazis, unconscious"
-El-P

"Payola scams twist DJs like a rubberband" -Kool Keith

--------------------------------------------------------------

illgaluminati - oblong as fuck

my avatar: the amazing Metal Storm VLE, the world's first totally electronic handgun, with a fire rate of up to half a million rounds per minute! www.met

p5d
Member since Jul 01st 2002
422 posts
Mon Jul-29-02 04:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "RE: Six Degrees of Tom Fontana"
In response to Reply # 9

i thought i was the only person that noticed that...........

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 06:34 AM

6. "BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I never thought anybody appreciated this show like I did. I was a die hrd, watched the entire series from start to finish. Loved the movie. Anybody catch the PBS special Making of Homicide? They took an episode (the one where the guy gets pushed inbetween the subway platform and the train) and documented its creation from start to finish. Good stuff.

__

fairweather

ESFlexx
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1981 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "RE: BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

I agree, court tv is a blessing lets me catch up all the episodes that I missed. The NBC movie could have been better, but it was nice how they put nearly everyone in it. The show was highly underrated, and NYPD Blue has nothing on it. Do they have the full season's on DVD yet?

somehow I always find my self standing alone thats why I stand on my own.

FamineisDead
Member since Jul 04th 2002
29 posts
Sat Jul-27-02 05:11 PM

10. "RE: BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

"^"

p5d
Member since Jul 01st 2002
422 posts
Mon Jul-29-02 04:48 AM

16. "RE: BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

same here but i really didn't feel the movie....it seemed rushed to me and didn't have the quailty of the first 5 seasons, with andre (when he left it went downhill, but was still better than anything else on television).

i love the first season, very raw and grity and hilarious esp. the exchanges with pembleton and felton. also, how in the first or second episode how pembleton was able to breakdown the suspect in the box and the exchange between he and bayliss that followed...

can't wait for this to come out on DVD

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Sun Jul-28-02 12:53 PM

12. "I love Homicide"
In response to Reply # 0

I never watched it when it was really on cause i figured it was another cop show then I watched it at like one in the morning and it was the episode where a black frat member got killed by some white racists and all this racism stuff is going down on the campus, but it was actually members of his frat house wearing white masks and stuff, shit i was hooked. aint watched it in a while, can someone tell me what time it comes on now, if at all? i hope reruns are being shown, cause of course you cant get it on DVD (yet)

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Jul-28-02 03:27 PM

13. "RE: I love Homicide"
In response to Reply # 12

1 AM Monday thru Friday on Court TV. peace.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

justin_scott
Charter member
19868 posts
Mon Jul-29-02 05:50 AM

17. "RE: Homicide: Life on the Street"
In response to Reply # 0

the character richard belzer played was my favorite.

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 05:30 PM

18. "well he's on law & order: svu now..."
In response to Reply # 17

but he doesn't have the same ppl to play off of
& he's not a central detective
tutuola does not compare to meldrek

†come to the park & play with us†

www.uppitynegress.gov

justin_scott
Charter member
19868 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 06:56 PM

20. "RE: well he's on law & order: svu now..."
In response to Reply # 18

yeah, him and ice-t are the reasons i watch that show.

jsmooth995
Charter member
2752 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 05:47 PM

19. "My favorite drama ever."
In response to Reply # 0

Long live Pembleton.

(BTW this show, and Pembleton character in particular, are a brilliant example of how the themes of faith and religion can be explored intelligently and insightfully.)

http://www.illdoctrine.com - where hip-hop vlogs?

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 07:15 PM

21. "RE: Homicide: Life on the Street"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Aug-05-02 07:23 PM

Indeed...my all time favorite Cop show, begining when i was a young child who watched Hill street Blues and Cagney & Lacey up until now with The Wire (HBO and not Network, so i cant compare). The show was great, I felt the same way when the Cosby show was cancelled as i did when they abruptly pulled the plug on Homicide. Andre Braugher is one of my favorite actors because of that show alone.

If only I could just find a young perfume wearer with pretty feet (boomerangs)a fatty, a fondness for Homicide:Life on the Streets, and a taste for Life Cereal, who likes long rides in Grand Wagoneer's...I probably couldnt get along with her because she's too much like my type and i'd end it quick , so i can go find the same kind of women i usually deal with.

(just josh in)

HieroHero
Charter member
437 posts
Mon Aug-05-02 09:50 PM

22. "RE: Homicide: Life on the Street"
In response to Reply # 21

best show ever made..and my all time fav...the final scene between pembleton n bayliss in the movie was classic..i have the script to this and if u see what they do..2 of the finest actors...meldrick was fantastic..and clark johnson is absolutley nothin like this character makin it even better..munch s hilarious, and the only reason i watch svu...now if only id won pembletons hat when every1 was sellin props from the show on ebay!

http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com -> takin it back to the ol skool

http://www.myspace.com/hierohero

miss_nette
Charter member
325 posts
Fri Aug-09-02 04:31 PM

23. "RE: Homicide: Life on the Street"
In response to Reply # 0

I used to tune in faithfully on Fridays for that show.

http://www.myspace.com/missnette

Gloworm
Charter member
6077 posts
Sat Aug-10-02 03:09 PM

24. "i'd buy the dvd."
In response to Reply # 0

if there was one.

Steve
Charter member
10919 posts
Sun Aug-11-02 10:03 AM

25. "subway episode."
In response to Reply # 0

nuff said

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #14007 Previous topic | Next topic