Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #13074

Subject: "Mulholland Drive" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Fri Oct-18-02 07:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mulholland Drive"

ok, so i finally got around to watching this movie after picking the DVD up used at Blockbuster. all i can say is WOW!! this movie rocks.

lots of my friends saw it when it came out in theaters months back and i made sure to not get any sort of info from them and also made it a point to not read about it. anyway, the only thing i kept hearing about it was that it was really confusing. personally i found it a pretty simple plot, but the way its told and the use of metaphors is what confuses people.

great movie, see it if you havent yet.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You should read this....
Oct 19th 2002
YES!
Oct 19th 2002
well...
Oct 20th 2002
RE: You should read this....
Oct 21st 2002
      HEY
Oct 22nd 2002
RemovedTheChaptersFrom.
Oct 21st 2002
why was it so hard to get than Memento?
Oct 21st 2002
exactly
Oct 21st 2002
RE: exactly
Oct 21st 2002
Oct 21st 2002
Oct 22nd 2002
WithALegUp.
Oct 21st 2002
      i agree...
Oct 22nd 2002
RE: RemovedTheChaptersFrom.
Oct 21st 2002
RE: RemovedTheChaptersFrom.
Oct 23rd 2002
RE: Mulholland Drive
Oct 21st 2002
exactly
Oct 21st 2002
      see...
Oct 21st 2002
           RE: see...
Oct 21st 2002
what did the box signify?
Oct 21st 2002
the blu ebox
Oct 21st 2002
      RE: the blu ebox
Oct 21st 2002
Oct 21st 2002
Oct 21st 2002
Oct 21st 2002
Oct 22nd 2002
Oct 22nd 2002
Oct 22nd 2002
                     My Bad, Pimp Soup. n/m
Oct 24th 2002
Lynch sucks
Oct 22nd 2002
A little overdone...
Oct 22nd 2002
RE: Lynch sucks
Oct 22nd 2002
      CoSign.
Oct 22nd 2002
      I'm sorry y'all
Oct 22nd 2002
      let the choir say amen to this!
Oct 22nd 2002
      yup
Oct 22nd 2002
FUCK that movie!!!
Oct 22nd 2002
shedding some light
Oct 22nd 2002
RE: shedding some light
Oct 23rd 2002
oh, I get it.....
Oct 23rd 2002
RE: oh, I get it.....
Oct 24th 2002
      stop that...
Oct 24th 2002
there were a couple things I didn't 'get'
Oct 23rd 2002
old people
Oct 23rd 2002
      that makes sense...
Oct 23rd 2002

DMAGON
Charter member
903 posts
Sat Oct-19-02 04:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You should read this...."
In response to Reply # 0

http://maddox.xmission.com/david_lynch.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"I was so poor growin up...that if I wasn't a boy, I wouldn't have had anything to play with." - Rodney Dangerfield

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Sat Oct-19-02 04:09 AM

2. "YES!"
In response to Reply # 1

Suicide, give it a try...

hahaha

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sun Oct-20-02 03:41 PM

3. "well..."
In response to Reply # 1

i didn't say i was confused. i didn't think the movie was hard to follow at all. the guy that wrote that is just pissed because he's one of the confused ones.

eq8tor
Charter member
261 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 01:19 PM

15. "RE: You should read this...."
In response to Reply # 1

confusion isnt totally bad...are u gonna tell me... that the first time u saw memento u totally understood it....i doubt it...
and david lynch movies like all movies need to be seen multiple times to really be soaked in correctly...
and by the way...mulholland drive is the bomb....
fuck who ever wrote that......cuz he prolly thought xxx was great...

http://www.myspace.com/fourtwoseven
come get some...

mc_delta_t
Charter member
8260 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 05:48 PM

35. "HEY"
In response to Reply # 15

xxx WAS great

HE JUMPED OVER A BARN WITH A MOTORCYCLE AND THE BARN EXPLODED UNDERNEATH HIM...........you can't front on that

but i love david lynch, especially mullholland drive

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 02:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RemovedTheChaptersFrom."
In response to Reply # 0

I like how they removed the chapters from the DVD so there's no skipping around. But overall, I just like watching the movie to catch what I missed the first time. My first time watching it, the first 80% of the film just DRAGGED! I try to tell people that they just have to stick with it, and watch it a minimum of two times to fully get it. I'd say Mullholland Drive requires more views than Memento. I put it on my dad's list on Netflix, and he's holding on to it for a lil' while longer so he can watch it again.

https://digife.com

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 06:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "why was it so hard to get than Memento?"
In response to Reply # 4

>I like how they removed the chapters from the DVD so there's
>no skipping around. But overall, I just like watching the
>movie to catch what I missed the first time. My first time
>watching it, the first 80% of the film just DRAGGED! I try
>to tell people that they just have to stick with it, and
>watch it a minimum of two times to fully get it. I'd say
>Mullholland Drive requires more views than Memento. I put
>it on my dad's list on Netflix, and he's holding on to it
>for a lil' while longer so he can watch it again.

it actually isnt..its still david lynch so its an automatic that youll never TRULY get what's going on...but if you watch very closely, a lot of what happens in the third act (last 40+ minutes of it) is revealed early on in the first two acts--subtly..im getting the general impression that folk expected everything to be laid out in front of them one thing after the other one...but its a very good film. i see why folk either hate it or like it...but, its really not that hard to figure out, at least it wasnt for me.

Ryan

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 06:44 AM

8. "exactly"
In response to Reply # 7

i don't think its hard to figure out either. that is, if there's really anything at all to figure out. i just like how Lynch takes a simple plot and presents it in such a interesting way.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 07:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RE: exactly"
In response to Reply # 8

>i don't think its hard to figure out either. that is, if
>there's really anything at all to figure out. i just like
>how Lynch takes a simple plot and presents it in such a
>interesting way.

BINGO! but you know how a lot of folks are: people find his movies to be quite deep..and they are. but they arent as confusing as folk believe--at base levels, lynch tends to deal with issues of identity and impression: i.e. what you would tend tot hink about a character isnt AT ALL who the character is once you watchthe film...

like with laura palmer (from twin peaks) in the tv show, y ou learned that she was hiding a serious past of being abused by her father, etc. in the fire walk with me prequel you see HOW the consequences of that abuse were acted out by laura (the whoring at the canadian hoe house, the cocaine abuse, etc.) and the two "identities" she had: one as a straight a cheerleader the other as a coked out victim of abuse...nothing deep about that all. lynch used these wild and surreal techniques to discuss how people whove dealt with severe trauma in their life have multiple or distinct personalities or ways of navigating through that trauma...."Killer Bob" was actually laura's dad..but since laura couldnt obviously reconcile that, "Killer Bob" was born.

all o fhis films are like..dealing with some kind of degenerative identity (or identities) in a character. good stuff..cool for psych majors and deconstructionists.
Ryan

Get Out the Room

kevineras
Member since Jul 11th 2002
4979 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 07:57 PM

19. "RE: exactly"
In response to Reply # 8

i really don't think the "plot" of mulholland drive is simple at all. i'm not even sure there is much of a tangible plot to follow. i'd be interested in hearing what you think the movie is about, because there are obviously are many different ways to interpret it and i think that it is definitely not a simple movie plot-wise. i think that there is a lot that is going on and a lot to figure out, and while i think that i *mostly* understand it after 6+ viewings (including a film study session w/ roger ebert...that was cool), it is definitely NOT a movie you can figure out just like "that." i think that it is almost the kind of movie that confuses you more the more times you watch it if you're not careful.

ni**as gonna fuck around and get they balloon popped! straight up! - GF

keep it real...represent what? my nuts - KK

J-Live - All Of The Above(WOW!!!!!)
Blackalicious - Nia
AZ - Aziatic
Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers
Public Enemy - Best of...
Lagwagon - Trashed
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
All the Phrenology tracks I can find

mc_delta_t
Charter member
8260 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 05:51 PM

36. "RE: exactly"
In response to Reply # 19

holy shit, that was your 666th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 09:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "WithALegUp."
In response to Reply # 7

I don't know about other people, but I needed a second viewing to really appreciate the film. I enjoyed it the first time, and I did get the concept of what Lynch was trying to do, but I didn't catch everything. With the second viewing, I started the movie with a leg up...and was now looking for things. You sit back and say..."Oh snap! That's what that was."

The same goes with Memento. I GOT the concept of Memento, but when you watch the movie multiple times, you catch little things you didn't see the first time. That's why I said both of these films should be watched at least 2 times to catch everything. If you can catch everything in the first viewing...kudos.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 07:29 AM

30. "i agree..."
In response to Reply # 14

but im just shocked by people who saw this movie 5,6 or more times and was confused EVERYTIME they saw it. my whole thing is this: 2 times is cool--youll be able to formulate an opinion as to what went down in the film...

why people had the need to see it half a dozen times is beyond me...all i know isthat MD is a damn good movie and that Naomi Watts (and to aminor extent, Laura Elena Harring as Rita/Camilla) was cheated out of an Oscar nomination last year. But, she may get it for 21 Grams (her next film with sean penn and benecio del toro) OR Rain Falls (a movie about swinging marriage couples--Kate Beckinsdale is in it also) so we shall see.

right now, Naomi cant give a bad performance (THE RING doesnt count since its clear thats NOT amovie for actors its all about the atmosphere and the genres or horror andsuspense, etc. But she does give a strong performance in it)

Ryan

Get Out the Room

kevineras
4979 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 07:53 PM

18. "RE: RemovedTheChaptersFrom."
In response to Reply # 4

yeah the lack of chapters is thanks to david lynch. he doesn't have chapters on any of his dvd's (at least not any of the one's i've seen....maybe i'm wrong) but i guess he's said that he thinks that movies (especially his movies) are complete works, not to be broken up in any way. so he doesn't permit the dvd companies or whatever to break it up into chapters. i think thats kinda tight.

Blackalicious - Nia
AZ - Aziatic
Lagwagon - Trashed

moswhite
Member since Oct 18th 2002
39 posts
Wed Oct-23-02 02:57 PM

42. "RE: RemovedTheChaptersFrom."
In response to Reply # 4

but without the chapters you can't skip to the lesbian scenes!

I scuba dive beneath the street and rise from concrete with new and improved beats

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 03:34 AM

5. "RE: Mulholland Drive"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry, I got to say it, mehn. This movie was the most pretentious piece of ish I have ever seen. Little people running around? The grandparents chasing the girl? I'm sorry. I like movies that make me think, but if I have to sit down and do some intense research to get the ish, then it is no longer entertaining.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 06:12 AM

6. "exactly"
In response to Reply # 5

on the nail

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 06:46 AM

9. "see..."
In response to Reply # 6

that's the thing, there's nothing really to figure out in this movie. i don't know, maybe its just the way i see the movie, but everything you need to know is presented right in front of you.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 08:04 AM

12. "RE: see..."
In response to Reply # 9

>that's the thing, there's nothing really to figure out in
>this movie. i don't know, maybe its just the way i see the
>movie, but everything you need to know is presented right in
>front of you.

Well, I can understand your view. Movies meen different things to different people. But I just the change in the tone of the movie was drastic. Felt like dude was trying to make a mystery, and then just got fed up and said: "Yo, why don't we throw them for a real curve." It's like it was plodding along and then just jumps to hyper speed at the drop of the dime. It just goes to this alternate universe and starts racing without giving you time to let the change simmer. I'm sorry mehn, maybe I need to be a real movie aficionado to appreciate this, but if I ever reach that level, I'm still gonna hate it. Tell you one thing, won't be watching any Lynch flicks again. Just seems like he's being weird for the sake of being weird. I place him in the same category as those other directors who have random acts of violence and sex that really have nothing to do with anything but then try to make it seem like those scenes should appeal to your emotions. Like: "That scene with all of the underaged kids participating in an orgy is to show how society forces kids to express themselves in unhealthy ways due to that fact that they don't have a voice in this country." No, you're just a sick fuck who did it for the shock value. Kind of how I feel about Larry Clark and Harmony Korine (although I like Kids), but some of the stuff is just too far-fetched. But I digress, because that's a whole other post.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

CoffeeShopChick
Member since Jul 08th 2002
750 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 07:48 AM

11. "what did the box signify?"
In response to Reply # 0

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 09:05 AM

13. "the blu ebox"
In response to Reply # 11

it signified the guilt Betty Elms/Diane Selwyn would have after ordering the hit on Camilla Rhodes/Rita

remember what the hitman told her "youll know why I gave this to you after the hit has happened" (this was when he gave her the key..something to this effect)

at least, i assumed the blue box (as well as the old people who tormented her) were just physical personifications of the guilt she would have over what she did as well as the remorse and pain she will fill for eternity for killing the ONE person she loved....

Ryan

Get Out the Room

kevineras
4979 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 08:00 PM

20. "RE: the blu ebox"
In response to Reply # 13

dude thats what i thought too. man there really is a lot to this fuckin movie, and the fact that you need to watch it a coupla times to understand it is a good thing in my opinion. i thought the mini-elderly folk were also like her guilt (her past coming back to haunt her) pushing her to kill herself. did you see the blue box in the drawer when she opened it to grab the gun too? i think that it is there.

Blackalicious - Nia
AZ - Aziatic
Lagwagon - Trashed

eq8tor
Charter member
261 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 01:20 PM

16. "RE: Mulholland Drive"
In response to Reply # 0

and what wrong with a movie that isnt spoonfed nonsense...
im not a child....i enjoy figuring things out.....fuck those movies who try to explain errything to me....dont treat me like a child motherfuckers......

sorry im a bit mad....cuz alot of movies are trash...

http://www.myspace.com/fourtwoseven
come get some...

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 01:43 PM

17. "RE: Mulholland Drive"
In response to Reply # 16

>fuck those movies who try to explain errything to me....dont treat me like a child motherfuckers......

i'm afraid that's why lynch doesn't like doing commentaries...
which is sad, because i enjoy his interviews... especially the one i saw on bravo or the ifc... i'm not sure...
--------------------------------------------------
♪ : The “efinitive” site for present
and future admirers of Me’Shell NdegéOcello’s g ♪
--------------------------------------------------

kevineras
4979 posts
Mon Oct-21-02 08:03 PM

21. "RE: Mulholland Drive"
In response to Reply # 16

a lot of movies are trash. thats why i love mulholland drive because it is subject to multiple watchings and NO one (thats right NO ONE) can ever be exactly sure what is going on unless they know david lynch personally. he ain't talking...and until he does all we can do is speculate. what i will say though is that during this "cinemus interruptus" thing we had at my school where we analyzed that film, someone whose friend worked on the film said that the whole cast and crew had a pretty sound theory as to what the movie was about....but i guess that lynch put something in their contracts that said they couldn't divulge any info on the movie. i guess we'll never know the truth about that flick but its alright with me.

Blackalicious - Nia
AZ - Aziatic
Lagwagon - Trashed

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 02:03 AM

22. "RE: Mulholland Drive"
In response to Reply # 21

>someone whose friend worked on the film said that the whole
>cast and crew had a pretty sound theory as to what the movie
>was about....but i guess that lynch put something in their
>contracts that said they couldn't divulge any info on the
>movie.

Yo, this is crazy. You working on a movie and don't even know what it's about? Damn.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 02:59 AM

24. "RE: Mulholland Drive"
In response to Reply # 22

>>someone whose friend worked on the film said that the whole
>>cast and crew had a pretty sound theory as to what the movie
>>was about....but i guess that lynch put something in their
>>contracts that said they couldn't divulge any info on the
>>movie.
>
>Yo, this is crazy. You working on a movie and don't even
>know what it's about? Damn.

So does that mean that Lynch is somehow required to sit everyone down at the beginning of the shoot and say, "hey, this is what I'm doing with this movie? This is what I'm trying to say?"

No. They are actors. They are paid to act. They are crew members. They are paid to *do their jobs*. David Lynch is under no obligation to explain himself to the grips, PAs or the craft services guys. The producer hires the crew members to help the pretty pictures come to life, not to sit around and speculate on the meanings behind what goes on.

And what does a no-tell clause in a contract have to do with "knowing" what the movie's about? You're a crew member. Do your job. If anything, not knowing what the movie's about should help to keep your mouth shut, shouldn't it?

And the whole deal with him not explaining stuff to the actors (which is implied by these previous posts) is a load of shit. I think what was meant by the first statement was that Lynch is known for giving his actors very abstract instructions. He doesn't tell them *exactly* what to do or *exactly* how to feel in a particular scene. He'll say "okay, try it this time with a little more pissyness" or something like that. No, that's not an exact quote, but the point is, Lynch is the kind of director that doesn't spell everything out for his actors. He gives them credit for being intelligent enough to figure out what's going on.

"WHAT!?"
-Stone Cold Steve Austin (I'da walked out too)

"God Bless The Microphone."
-Pete Rock

"...How's it feel to be me?"
-Eddie King, Jr. (NOT 'KANE')

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 04:58 AM

28. "RE: Mulholland Drive"
In response to Reply # 24

Chill dude. No need to get worked up. I was just saying that that would feel awkward, knowing the innate strenght of curiousity within human beings. Shucks.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Oct-24-02 10:37 AM

45. "My Bad, Pimp Soup. n/m"
In response to Reply # 28

"WHAT!?"

-Pete Rock

"I am...whatever you say I am."
-Marshall Bruce Mathers III

Vern
Charter member
1705 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 02:24 AM

23. "Lynch sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

People just like movies that don't make sense because they feel like they're "supposed" to like them. I feel the same way about that dumb ass movie where after 2 hours of listening to a bunch of people bitch and whine, a shitload of frogs start falling from the sky.

--------------------
Hydrant Sippin: http://hydrantsippin.com/

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 03:19 AM

25. "A little overdone..."
In response to Reply # 23

...in your simplification of Lynch (and P.T. Anderson). I can understand why you might not dig it, but it's not that the movie doesn't make sense. It's just that some people don't want to make sense of the movie. Nothing wrong with that. But I wouldn't call neither of the movies stupid at all, they just might go out of the way to say something real simple.

--------------------

blah blah blah

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 03:21 AM

26. "RE: Lynch sucks"
In response to Reply # 23

>People just like movies that don't make sense because they
>feel like they're "supposed" to like them.

Damn those damn people! We should also damn those people who only like films like "Knockaround Guys" or "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" because they offer cheap thrills and easy laughs.

Me? I feel like people should know what they're seeing before they take their dates to it. That way, they won't think that something's "too weird" or say that "it wasn't what they thought it was going to be."

>I feel the same
>way about that dumb ass movie where after 2 hours of
>listening to a bunch of people bitch and whine, a shitload
>of frogs start falling from the sky.

That's funny, I feel the same way about people who give lazy opinions on movies that "don't make sense," then don't bother to a) explain what didn't make sense or b) bother to *actually watch* (meaning: PAY FUCKING ATTENTION TO) the movie.

Seriously, I'm sick of people who attack challenging films because they got high with the crew before seeing them, then decided that it was wack. Every movie is not made for "chillin'" with the crew or with the ladies. Every movie is not made for the sole purpose of serving as background noise for the hottest party. Every movie is not made for ADD kids who get off on explosions, fast cuts, and pretty faces. You want all that, then wait for the next Michael Bay joint at your nearest multiplex.

There are people in the world who...actually appreciate filmmakers who actually...respect their audiences enough to let them think for themselves. These people enjoy these films not because Roger Ebert told them to, or because it's the hip thing to do, but because (I'll repeat) the filmmakers respect them as an audience, and present them with something that makes people give a little thought to what they're seeing. And before anyone chimes in, I don't mean "get all deep" with the movie, just put a little more understanding into what's going on. Why is that so hard for people to grasp? Must we all dig "Sweet Home Alabama" just because it's popular?

"WHAT!?"

-Pete Rock

"...How's it feel to be me?"
-Eddie King, Jr. (NOT 'KANE')

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 04:55 AM

27. "CoSign."
In response to Reply # 26

You put it better than I ever could. So I reply with a simple, "Co-Sign". I guess it's a matter of taste really. I love that FROGS FALLING FROM THE SKY movie (aka Magnolia). When I finish watching it, I feel something. With every viewing, I connect and focus with a different, and it's almost a new movie every time.

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 05:31 PM

34. "I'm sorry y'all"
In response to Reply # 27

but Vern just made my whole fuckin day
hahahaah
and my sig too!!

I liked Mulholland Drive - just finally watched it - bout to watch it again.

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 07:31 AM

31. "let the choir say amen to this!"

OK?

just like i cant wait to see:
FRIDA
THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE
PUNCH DRUNK LOVE
CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND
THE VERONICA GUERIN STORY
HEAVEN
CIVIL BRAND..

2002/2003 will be a good year for movies, mkay?
RC

Get Out the Room

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 08:24 AM

32. "yup"

>That's funny, I feel the same way about people who give lazy
>opinions on movies that "don't make sense," then don't
>bother to a) explain what didn't make sense or b) bother to
>*actually watch* (meaning: PAY FUCKING ATTENTION TO) the
>movie.
>
>Seriously, I'm sick of people who attack challenging films
>because they got high with the crew before seeing them, then
>decided that it was wack. Every movie is not made for
>"chillin'" with the crew or with the ladies. Every movie is
>not made for the sole purpose of serving as background noise
>for the hottest party. Every movie is not made for ADD kids
>who get off on explosions, fast cuts, and pretty faces. You
>want all that, then wait for the next Michael Bay joint at
>your nearest multiplex.
>
>There are people in the world who...actually appreciate
>filmmakers who actually...respect their audiences enough to
>let them think for themselves. These people enjoy these
>films not because Roger Ebert told them to, or because it's
>the hip thing to do, but because (I'll repeat) the
>filmmakers respect them as an audience, and present them
>with something that makes people give a little thought to
>what they're seeing. And before anyone chimes in, I don't
>mean "get all deep" with the movie, just put a little more
>understanding into what's going on. Why is that so hard for
>people to grasp? Must we all dig "Sweet Home Alabama" just
>because it's popular?
>______________________________________________
>"The human race is becoming a disgrace."
>-Afrika Bambaataa & John Lydon
>
>"WHAT!?"
>-Stone Cold Steve Austin (I'da walked out too)
>
>"God Bless The Microphone."
>-Pete Rock
>
>"...How's it feel to be me?"
>-Eddie King, Jr. (NOT 'KANE')

Golem_3
Charter member
1490 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 07:16 AM

29. "FUCK that movie!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I wasted 2 and 1/2 hours of my life.
I want my time back.

~the end was yesturday~

~the end was yesturday~
http://www.livetheatregang.com/shaquan_young.htm

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Tue Oct-22-02 02:47 PM

33. "shedding some light"
In response to Reply # 0

anyone who hated it, didn't get it, or loved it but wasn't sure why, try reading some freud (particularly dream theory), among other things, and then giving it another try. it may open up a whole new understanding.

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

Golem_3
Charter member
1490 posts
Wed Oct-23-02 10:40 AM

37. "RE: shedding some light"
In response to Reply # 33

okay, there may be some freudian stuff in there, but the ending just doesn't add up.

~the end was yesturday~

~the end was yesturday~

Golem_3
Charter member
1490 posts
Wed Oct-23-02 10:46 AM

38. "oh, I get it....."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm supposed to create my own meaning of the movie, because Lynch is too eccentric to develop a feasible plot.
He's a "special director" who "respects his audience."
HAHAHHA!!!!! *LOL*
"RESPECTS his audience"???!!!?
That's sheer mockery.
Right there, it is exemplafied that any nutjob with a major studio backing him/herself can make a movie about something and dupe the audience into believing that its about another thing (all the while, we're suppose to "use our own conclusion").
Why?
Because the director has his head so FAR up his ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

~the end was yesturday~

~the end was yesturday~

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Oct-24-02 10:34 AM

43. "RE: oh, I get it....."
In response to Reply # 38

*chuckles*

I'm going to laugh this off.

And go back to being "duped."

Read post 26 again. No, I mean *really* READ it.

Honestly.

"WHAT!?"

-Pete Rock

"I am...whatever you say I am."
-Marshall Bruce Mathers III

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Oct-24-02 10:36 AM

44. "stop that..."
In response to Reply # 43

>*chuckles*
>
>I'm going to laugh this off.
>
>And go back to being "duped."
>
>Read post 26 again. No, I mean *really* READ it.
>
>Honestly.
>_________________________________________________________________he's entitled to his opinion he really is (no matter how derivative it might be) a LOT of folk didnt get the film or like it....

so play fair!
RC

Get Out the Room

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Wed Oct-23-02 11:58 AM

39. "there were a couple things I didn't 'get'"
In response to Reply # 0

the significance of
~the old couple (I dunno about them representing guilt... that doesn't mesh to me...)
~the 'mafia' style casting of the film
~the cowboy (I realize she saw him at the dinner in the reality part of the film, but it was barely a glimse... why would she envision him talking to that director guy about anything? that whole convo was just weird...)
~the apartment they were in for the first 3/4 of the movie... why that apartment? Also I wonder if the lady who really lived there was hearing 'ghosts' when she poked her head into the bedroom and saw nothing (after we see the blue box drop to the floor)

help...

dovely divine
~s.l.o.c.~

People just like movies that don't make sense because they feel like they're "supposed" to like them. I feel the same way about that dumb ass movie where after 2 hours of listening to a bunch of people bitch and whine, a shitload of frogs start falling from the sky. ~ Okayplayer Vern

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed Oct-23-02 12:49 PM

40. "old people"
In response to Reply # 39

i saw it like this...the old people were personifications of her hopes, dreams, and ambitions. it was her ambitions that brought her out to cali to become an actress in the first place as seen in the beginning of the movie. however, after the hurt and jealousy her ambitions become much more sinister, namely killing camilla/rita. it is these ambitions and the guilt of knowing what she's done that haunt her and torment her which is represented by the old folks chasing her around.

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Wed Oct-23-02 12:56 PM

41. "that makes sense..."
In response to Reply # 40

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #13074 Previous topic | Next topic