Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #12802

Subject: "The Godfather (the genius of this film)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 05:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Godfather (the genius of this film)"

I fell in love with this film all over again last night. I don't know what it was, but I was bored, so I just put it in the DVD player and sat back. Maybe it was because the room was dark, and seeing the man appear from darkness talking about his daughter just hit me...I don't know. Honestly, The Godfather is the perfect combination of cinematic storytelling I have ever seen.

Now I have met some people that don't care for or understand this movie. Hey, it's a matter of taste, and I'm not here to argue or convince anyone of my opinion. I'm here to discuss/point out some of the stand areas of this film. After watching it last night, some things just became clear. For example:

** Like I said, that introduction of the film was fantastic. Just from a cinematography standpoint, I'm sure starting the film in such a dark room was challenging. If you listen to the commentary on the DVD, Francis Ford Coppola talks about his DP (can't think of his name at the moment) and how he shoots a lot of the scenes in low lit situations.

** The intro again...the way Vito Corleone talks to the man. This is probably Marlon Brando's best performance in my opinion. He's sitting in his chair playfully playing with this cat telling this man that he won't do his favor because he hand't invited him over for tea. But you can see he's a reasonable man, very negotiable, but firm. By the end of the scene, you're almost scared of Vito...you don't know what he's capable of.

** The wedding. A brief introduction to all the characters in the film. As Kay meets them, so do you.

** Vito again (yeah, he's my favorite), turning down the Tattlia's (sp?) for funding their drugs. When he's done speaking, there's a sense of respect given there because his reasoning is so on point. This is a man who takes his time making decisions.

There are countless other areas this film is unbelievable (Al Pacino's performance, the twists and turns of the storyline, etc...), but I just wanted to touch on these stand out scenes because if you can believe it, there are some who have not seen it. If you haven't seen this film, go see it.

All the hype you've heard is true.

https://digife.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the storytelling is striking
Nov 14th 2002
RE: the storytelling is striking
Nov 14th 2002
      thanks man
Nov 14th 2002
           RE: mafia mythology (spoilers)
Nov 14th 2002
RE: Grazie
Nov 14th 2002
guilty
Nov 14th 2002
      RE: It's all good!
Nov 14th 2002
Nov 14th 2002
                goodfellas=shotest 3 hours on film
Nov 15th 2002
Nov 15th 2002
Its a PERFECT film
Nov 14th 2002
RE: Its a PERFECT film
Nov 14th 2002
this movie influenced me so much
Nov 14th 2002
perfect ending!
Nov 14th 2002
the commentary?
Nov 14th 2002
RE: the BEST commentary!
Nov 14th 2002
RE: The Godfather (the genius of this film)
Nov 14th 2002
that scene
Nov 14th 2002
RE: Deniro
Nov 14th 2002
RE: Deniro
Nov 14th 2002
thats a great outtake
Nov 14th 2002
RE: supporting actors
Nov 14th 2002
      RE: Al Lettieri
Nov 14th 2002
GF1 and GF2...
Nov 14th 2002
Don't
Nov 15th 2002
I agree
Nov 14th 2002
RE: I agree
Nov 14th 2002

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the storytelling is striking"
In response to Reply # 0

i mean u arent really allowed to tell a story anymore in films by and large. its all about instant gratification. the way they develop the mythology and the storytelling is why i have seen this movie so many damn times.

"The game's in the refrigerator, the door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and the Jell-O's jiggling." - Chick Hearn

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: the storytelling is striking"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Nov-14-02 06:37 AM

>i mean u arent really allowed to tell a story anymore in
>films by and large. its all about instant gratification.
>the way they develop the mythology and the storytelling is
>why i have seen this movie so many damn times.

Check this link, I really recommend it.
http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Since you speak of the mythology, you'll find so much theories and insight on the Godfather films. I also learned so much on character motivations and "mob" theory on that site. Especially GF2, there's so much debate about the story line.

I also suggest reading the novel, there are so many character nuances and descriptions of their thinking and motivations that are only touched on the surface in the films.

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "thanks man"
In response to Reply # 3

i'll check the site. but i dont think people udnerstadn that teh fascinationw ith good mob flicks is the underlying mythology. i read an article recently about how puzo worte the novel because he couldnt maek any cash with more "serious" work adn then it became a success adn kinda pigeonholed him, thus he was never able to write the 'serious" novel that he was trying to do along.

"The game's in the refrigerator, the door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and the Jell-O's jiggling." - Chick Hearn

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 07:02 AM

10. "RE: mafia mythology (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 5

>but i dont think people udnerstadn
>that teh fascinationw ith good mob flicks is the underlying
>mythology.

Word! The opening scene of GF1 where the Don is talking to the undertaker did it for me. It exposed me to their codes and ethics, and pulled me in forever.

The Don's refusal to enter the drug business and his shooting was all business! I was fascinated by the "Sicilian" honor that underlied this business move and assasination.

And Michael's decision to save the family business resulted in him killing in his own brother!...fascinating!

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:32 AM

2. "RE: Grazie"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-14-02 06:48 AM

>I fell in love with this film all over again last night. I
>don't know what it was, but I was bored, so I just put it in
>the DVD player and sat back.

First, check this site
http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
You'll find great discussions about the Godfather films. You'll find theories that you never thought of. People like to talk about Star Wars, but Godfather is where it's at! And read the novel, you won't be disappointed.

Simply, a gorgeous film to just lay your eyes on, great story, great acting, great directing, and fabulous music. I really don't think there's another film score that perfectly captures the essence of a film.

Ah, I agree with you. I posted on this film whenever posts talk about the greatest movies of all time, but they get no responses, shoot..it even lost to Goodfellas in the favorite mob movie poll on this board. There was a good post calling Godfather Part 2 "best damn movie period." I watch this film or part 2 probably once a month. Bravo is doing it justice by showing it on tv.

>Maybe it was because the room
>was dark, and seeing the man appear from darkness talking
>about his daughter just hit me...I don't know.

To me, the openings of GF and GF2 are the greatest in cinema history. It's not as technical as Fellini's "8 1/2" or other films, it's just simple and great, but think about it.....a great combo of the mournful trumpet followed by the greatest title screen, and you find yourself in the Don's dark office. Hell, part 2 is just as dope, when again the music starts it, and you see a close up of the Corleone caporegimes kissing Michael's hand, and the title screen. Not to forget, the lovely shot of the chair.

>Honestly,
>The Godfather is the perfect combination of cinematic
>storytelling I have ever seen.

Great story, and how it's told is genius. It has recycled elements such as an aging patriarch passing his power to one of his sons, family loyalty and betrayal, but it's done so well.

>Now I have met some people that don't care for or understand
>this movie. Hey, it's a matter of taste, and I'm not here
>to argue or convince anyone of my opinion.

I agree, it's a classy picture with a fabulous look, mood, acting, directing, music...and action and suspense...it's hard to figure out when people say it's not my taste, and they reply and say Scarface is a masterpiece...WTF!

>** Like I said, that introduction of the film was fantastic.
> Just from a cinematography standpoint, I'm sure starting
>the film in such a dark room was challenging. If you listen
>to the commentary on the DVD, Francis Ford Coppola talks
>about his DP (can't think of his name at the moment) and how
>he shoots a lot of the scenes in low lit situations.

The cinematographer is Gordon Willis and he's known as the "Prince of Darkness" because of his work in the Trilogy. The colors are so beautiful...a lot of muted colors, dark with beautiful shades of brown, etc. The darkness is supposed to symbolize the Mafia's "dark underworld." Gordon Willis said he wanted to light it so that you couldn't see Brando's eyes. The perfect way to catch the cinematography is to turn off the light's and enjoy, especially Godfather part 2.

>** The intro again...the way Vito Corleone talks to the man.
> This is probably Marlon Brando's best performance in my
>opinion. He's sitting in his chair playfully playing with
>this cat telling this man that he won't do his favor because
>he hand't invited him over for tea. But you can see he's a
>reasonable man, very negotiable, but firm. By the end of
>the scene, you're almost scared of Vito...you don't know
>what he's capable of.

This is my favorite scene in the whole Trilogy. Especially the slow zoom out, and the cut from Brando's back to his face...one of the best first appearances in a movie. Here's this powerful man only wanting friendship, and if you offer that and respect, he'll take care of you. For Brando's best performance I suggest "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "On the Waterfront", but Brando as Vito is my favorite!

>** The wedding. A brief introduction to all the characters
>in the film. As Kay meets them, so do you.

Probably Coppola's greatest sequence. The complexity of introducing all the characters and interweaving the wedding outside w/ the Don's business in his dark office is briliant! I forgot what movie inspired this sequence. Ah, the wedding music!

>There are countless other areas this film is unbelievable
>(Al Pacino's performance, the twists and turns of the
>storyline, etc...), but I just wanted to touch on these
>stand out scenes because if you can believe it, there are
>some who have not seen it. If you haven't seen this film,
>go see it.

I've seen this movie so many times that the suspense is gone since I know the story so well.

Every performance is great!...even the smaller roles such as Al Lettieri as Solozzo the Turk. Richard Castellano as Clemenza. Sterling Hayden as the dirty cop. Duvall is so underrated, it's a crime. Ah, Apollonia!

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:49 AM

6. "guilty"
In response to Reply # 2

..it even lost to Goodfellas in the favorite
>mob movie poll on this board.

I voted for Goodfellas in that poll. Godfather 1&2 are IMO the best films ever made but Goodfellas is without a doubt my "favorite" film. Truly I am thankfull for all of them.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:57 AM

9. "RE: It's all good!"
In response to Reply # 6

>..it even lost to Goodfellas in the favorite
>>mob movie poll on this board.
>
>I voted for Goodfellas in that poll. Godfather 1&2 are IMO
>the best films ever made but Goodfellas is without a doubt
>my "favorite" film. Truly I am thankfull for all of them.

No crime there, my man!

I agree, Goodfellas is a masterpiece. I love it. But, I think GF1&2 are better and my favorites. They are apples and oranges tho'...one movie is about the higher ranks of the Mafia and a family, while the other concentrates on the "soldiers."

kevineras
Member since Jul 11th 2002
4979 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 01:12 PM

22. "RE: It's all good!"
In response to Reply # 9

i have to give godfather I&II the nod over goodfellas (either one is better in my opinion) because goodfellas just wasn't as tight or compact or complete i guess you could say as the godfather movies. goodfellas starts off and its one of the most amazing movies you've ever seen...it draws you in and you're mesmerized by ray liotta's rise to power. but to me, that movie loses some of its energy towards the end of the film. although it is definitely one of my favorite flicks ever, it just goes on too long and doesn't finish the way it started.

the godfather films, however (at least I and II), are perfect. they don't let up, and there is nothing bad that you can say about those films. they manage to instill a thrilling sense of excitement, even though there is very little real action in either movie. they are just...the shit.

don't get me wrong...goodfellas is badass. godfather I and II are both just better IMHO

ni**as gonna fuck around and get they balloon popped! straight up! - GF

fuck gettin money for real, get freedom - BT

the moon is out, tonight its time for experience - KK

reverse psychology got em scared to say when shit is wack/out of fear of being called a hater/imagine that - TK

Atmosphere - godlovesugly
J-Live - All Of The Above
Blackalicious - Nia
AZ - Aziatic
Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers
Public Enemy - Best of...
Lagwagon - Trashed
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
NOFX - Punk In Drublic
Sublime - Second Hand Smoke

the_lorax
Charter member
1353 posts
Fri Nov-15-02 05:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "goodfellas=shotest 3 hours on film"
In response to Reply # 22

goodfellas pacing is why i love this movie. i feel like it matches perfectly with what henry was going through. overall the movie really captures the psycology of why someone would want to be a goodfellas. however there are some other things. probably the main reason is that i feel goodfellas is better because its really a morality tale. not that it doesnt do its fair share of trying purposly or accidently making the life seem cool but we see through the arc of henry's character that there really are consequences. the consequences for miceheal are there but they are a lil more subtle and we really dont see the real impact of them till part 3. if you were writting a paper u could say that goodfellas end with henry essentially going to hell. the very thing he was trying to avoid getting into the life he end up there as a result of the life. banished from the garden because of his actions. from that stand point goodfellas is stronger.
just overal the violence the is harder to detach yourself from. looking at joe pesci stab ol boy in the trunk is troubling. just listening to the sound of that knife plunging into his flesh as he barely able to plead for his life is just...or better yet look at joe pesci death scene compare to james caan's. the 2 kinda leave you with a different feeling. godfather's violence is a lil more hollywood which makes it a lil easier to float over and forget. how every joe's body kinda floping onto the floor and the blood streaming out of his head is a lil harder to forget.

but i LOVE the godfather. i love the scope of it all and the sense of family. the characters are moere interesting to watch. i understand why when the topic of best movies/films 1 or 2 always get mentioned.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Fri Nov-15-02 06:25 PM

27. "RE: It's all good!"
In response to Reply # 22

>to me, that movie loses some of its energy towards the end
>of the film.

see, I gotta disagree with you on that. The music sequence when Henry Hill is being followed by the hellicopter all day (and of course the combination of scenes themselves) is nothing short of genius in my opinion

In many ways its my favorite part of the film (well that and the Billy Batz bar scene). I dont feel it loses energy one bit

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:40 AM

4. "Its a PERFECT film"
In response to Reply # 0

so is Godfather 2

Perfect acting, perfect story, perfect cinematography. The only thing not perfect was Sonny's missed punch

Have you read the book? It takes NOTHING away from the movie. Its a great book that will do nothing more but make you appreciate the film even more. All of the deleted scenes on the DVD are straight out of the book. The book also gives you more of a story on the background of Luca Brazi and Johnny Fontane

Most people I know that said they "couldnt get into it" are people that dont care much about movies to begin with so it doesnt really bother me too much

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:53 AM

7. "RE: Its a PERFECT film"
In response to Reply # 4

>so is Godfather 2
>
>Perfect acting, perfect story, perfect cinematography. The
>only thing not perfect was Sonny's missed punch

Hahaha. Yea, only if James Caan moved his fist just an inch closer to Carlo's face.

>All of the deleted
>scenes on the DVD are straight out of the book. The book
>also gives you more of a story on the background of Luca
>Brazi and Johnny Fontane

The reason why I bough the novel was because I heard there was more about Luca Brasi, and the Luca in the book is a man not to be f*ed with unlike how he was the big dumb hitman in the movie. Then I was delighted to find how much more in depth the character's motivations are explored, and there's more Vito!

>Most people I know that said they "couldnt get into it" are
>people that dont care much about movies to begin with so it
>doesnt really bother me too much

Co-muthaF*in-sign! But, it still does bother me hehehe.

afropuff
Charter member
7580 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 06:54 AM

8. "this movie influenced me so much"
In response to Reply # 0

& i didn't even know it. i just wrote a short story & it started off just like the ending of GF2. Like the "happy" scene when everybody is getting ready for the GF birthday, Abe Vigoda bringing over the cake & them singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow", while Michael sits in the kitchen looking pensive....

i started off my story with my birthday party at the first of the year, how it was happy & touching, but i was not in the best mood, then my whole year went to crap after that.

only after i wrote my story & reread it did i realize the similarities to this movie. must've been in my subconsious!

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 07:22 AM

12. "perfect ending!"
In response to Reply # 8

espicially since Vito is nowhere to be seen, you really get the feeling that he's comming in

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 07:20 AM

11. "the commentary?"
In response to Reply # 0

how is the commentary? I havent listened to it yet, Im waiting for a rainy day.

Ive been told that the commentary on pt3 really helps to appreciate it more

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 07:43 AM

13. "RE: the BEST commentary!"
In response to Reply # 11

>how is the commentary? I havent listened to it yet, Im
>waiting for a rainy day.
>
>Ive been told that the commentary on pt3 really helps to
>appreciate it more

IMHO, Coppola's commentary on these films are the best of any director's commentary out there. People say Kevin Smith, and I'm like, huh? I listened to Scorsese's for "Last Temptation of Christ" for a few minutes, and it sounds like a good one. Coppola really is not concerned about keeping ideas to himself.

Don't save it for a rainy day. Watch it tonight even, start in order tho.' If you think Coppola is brilliant, you'll think even more of him and the films after listening to the commentary.

He drops great tidbits, too...technical wise.

And yes, his GF3 commentary does shed light on what the purpose of it was, and also what could've been. People I know who are GF fans, do appreciate GF3 more because of it.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 08:33 AM

14. "RE: The Godfather (the genius of this film)"
In response to Reply # 0

Fave scene: Mikey Corelone agreeing 2 kill the cop and getting the instructoins on how it should be done. That scene and the actual murder complete his transformation from army boy 2 made man.

Sonny teasin him on how it wasnt gonna be like shootin people in the army and how he had 2 get right up in their face always reminds me of the Donnie Brasco scene where Lefty tells Donnie that the mafia aint nothin like the army altho there is the chain of command.

Of course Al Pacino and Marlon Brando are great in this movie but as I watch it more and more I enjoy the supporting performances by James Caan and Robert Duval better.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 08:41 AM

15. "that scene"
In response to Reply # 14

>Sonny teasin him on how it wasnt gonna be like shootin
>people in the army and how he had 2 get right up in their
>face

Check out the DVD. In the screentest section, it has Deniro testing for the role of Sonny and reciting that line "its not like the army where you shoot em from far away" its really good.
It also has James Caan testing for the role of Michael.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 10:19 AM

16. "RE: Deniro"
In response to Reply # 15

I'll definitly have 2 check 4 that. One of the main reasons why I still put Goodfellas above the Godfather is on the strength of Deniro's performance. Joe Pesci won the oscar but Deniro was just as good IMO. Still Ray Liotta's best performance 2 date as well but lemme quit cuz I'm startin 2 post jack now.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 10:52 AM

18. "RE: Deniro"
In response to Reply # 16

>I'll definitly have 2 check 4 that. One of the main reasons
>why I still put Goodfellas above the Godfather is on the
>strength of Deniro's performance. Joe Pesci won the oscar
>but Deniro was just as good IMO.

How about De Niro as the young Vito Corleone in Godfather Part 2?

I love Goodfellas, and De Niro was great in it, but De Niro gives a better performance in GF2, IMHO. I think De Niro as Jimmy Conway is way behind Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Godfather Part 2, Mean Streets, and Deer Hunter.

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 11:07 AM

21. "thats a great outtake"
In response to Reply # 15

yeah deniro a sonny was interesting. i just love these movies.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 10:57 AM

19. "RE: supporting actors"
In response to Reply # 14

>Of course Al Pacino and Marlon Brando are great in this
>movie but as I watch it more and more I enjoy the supporting
>performances by James Caan and Robert Duval better.

Duvall is my man, way underrated, John Cazale as Fredo, too. Don't forget Al Lettieri who played Virgil Solozzo...this performance is way underrated. He nailed the part. His facial expressions and his voice tone and inflection and pacing are flawless.

Richard Castellano as Clemenza, and John Cazale as Fredo are great ones too.

In GF2, Michael Gazzo nailed the Pentangelli part. Hell, the guys who played Don Fanucci, Signor Roberto (the landlord), and the young Clemenza were all great.

Sonny stole the show in the very last scene in GF2!!! I wish there was more of Caan in GF1&2.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 11:00 AM

20. "RE: Al Lettieri"
In response to Reply # 19

>Don't forget Al Lettieri who played Virgil Solozzo...this
>performance is way underrated. He nailed the part. His
>facial expressions and his voice tone and inflection and
>pacing are flawless.

check him out in The Getaway with Steve Mcqueen, he's pretty good in that too

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 10:28 AM

17. "GF1 and GF2..."
In response to Reply # 0

are two of the greatest flicks I have ever seen, if not the greatest. Any and everytime they play on cable, I am there to view them. Bravo has had me captivated for damn near the last month with their broadcasts of both. Unfortunatley, I have never seent GF3. That will not be the true by the time Monday rolls around though. My interest in seeing the finale to this trilogy is piqued and I must purchase the Collector's Set immediately.

Each viewing brings gives me something new to affix myself to. Damned good post, my friend!

--- praying for peace, love, and power

AnaStezia
Charter member
45338 posts
Fri Nov-15-02 09:32 AM

25. "Don't"
In response to Reply # 17

I think it's better to have never seen GF3. It ruins the franchise. I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

okayyac
Charter member
5173 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 01:21 PM

23. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 0

The Godfather is a great film. Some people don't like it because they think its demeaning to Italians. Personally, being Italian, i dont think it is at all. it depicts a part of life in the community, one that isn't beneficial, but still is there. the acting and plot is great and well-developed.

also, anyone that likes the movie, read the book.

alexathens
Charter member
1453 posts
Thu Nov-14-02 11:41 PM

24. "RE: I agree"
In response to Reply # 23

can i add another high point for me, watching a young castellano (pussy from the sopranos), too bad he got splattered in number one cause i would have liked to see more of him

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #12802 Previous topic | Next topic