Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #12481

Subject: "Cowboy BeBop" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 07:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Cowboy BeBop"

The teaser trailer got me gassed.
I've been seeing sets at Best Buy and I'm wondering what's the deal. Should I cop this? and which ones

thanks

"Cats are still using the same five curse words. If you take out 'shit,' 'bitch,' 'nigga,' murder,' and 'killa,' (the)mother-fuckin' record would sound like an instrumental!"
-MF Doom

"The payoff is much sweeter than the payback"
-Dave

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Cowboy BeBop
Dec 01st 2002
There already is a movie...
Dec 01st 2002
RE: There already is a movie...
Dec 01st 2002
Dec 01st 2002
The Movie
Dec 01st 2002
HAAAAAA!
Dec 01st 2002
      Where should i start?
Dec 01st 2002
           watch a few of the early ones
Dec 01st 2002
           RE: Where should i start?
Dec 01st 2002
Thanks
Dec 01st 2002
RE: Thanks
Dec 01st 2002
Dec 01st 2002
go on ebay and.....
Dec 02nd 2002
Here's the deal
Dec 02nd 2002
      yeah...I
Dec 03rd 2002
           You just have to look for the so so ones...
Dec 03rd 2002
                RE: You just have to look for the so so ones...
Dec 03rd 2002
                Well
Dec 03rd 2002
                     Like he said...
Dec 04th 2002
                I'm just pissed cause....
Dec 03rd 2002
Dec 02nd 2002
Dec 02nd 2002
co-sign
Dec 02nd 2002
mostly drum and bass and techno, right?
Dec 04th 2002
      Really? I thought from the show....
Dec 04th 2002
           RE: Really? I thought from the show....
Dec 04th 2002
                Cool....
Dec 04th 2002
                Yoko Kanno is a woman...
Dec 04th 2002
                     on my...
Dec 05th 2002
Favorite Episode? Why? (Don't include spoilers)
Dec 04th 2002
my top few.
Dec 04th 2002
anything with EDWARD!!!
Dec 05th 2002
the real folk blues.....and.....
Dec 05th 2002
COWBOY ANDY!!!
Dec 05th 2002

Elektrokut
Charter member
141 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 08:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Cowboy BeBop"
In response to Reply # 0

what, are they making a movie or is this just for the dvd box set? Cause that is one awesome series.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 08:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "There already is a movie..."
In response to Reply # 1

Came out in Japan about a year ago. I know they are supposed to be showing it in a few indie type theaters...maybe they decided against it and are bringing that shit on dvd. Its off the frigging hook.

Abstrackdt
Charter member
1293 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 10:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "RE: There already is a movie..."
In response to Reply # 2

yeap. I have it on DVD. Try uhm, discountanime.com or something like that. do a search, my girl bought me the whole set, all episodes & the movie + soundtrack, etc. I've had it since the beginning of THIS year. I'm not really an anime-head(but i like animation), just when something is done really well, i like to have it & Bebop is one of them thangs, maannn...

Motto
I play it cool
And dig all jive
That's the reason
I stay alive
My Motto,
As I live and learn,
is:
Dig And Be Dug In Return

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 08:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: Cowboy BeBop"
In response to Reply # 1

Methinks its the series
I'll try and cop some today then

"Cats are still using the same five curse words. If you take out 'shit,' 'bitch,' 'nigga,' murder,' and 'killa,' (the)mother-fuckin' record would sound like an instrumental!"
-MF Doom

-Dave

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 09:17 AM

4. "The Movie"
In response to Reply # 0

Is scheduled for a 2003 U.S. release

-MF Doom

-Dave

Afrotec
Charter member
16652 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 09:32 AM

5. "HAAAAAA!"
In response to Reply # 4

YESSSSS!

I've been waiting for that for so long!
It was ill on a computer screen, so I can't wait to see it on the big screen with a huge sound system.

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 09:56 AM

6. "Where should i start?"
In response to Reply # 5

with this series?
Can i just jump in or do I have to start w/ the first episode?

-MF Doom

-Dave

Afrotec
Charter member
16652 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 10:25 AM

7. "watch a few of the early ones"
In response to Reply # 6

just to get a feel for the characters.

i haven't seen close to all of them, but i know enough to follow along.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 11:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: Where should i start?"
In response to Reply # 6

Any of them, except the later episodes(like from 18-19 on). Even through most of the episodes have self contained storylines, towards the end the start getting deep into the final storyline and the series starts to get alot darker.

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 05:23 PM

9. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 0

to those who replied.

I ended up getting Sessions 1 and 2 (i think six episodes a piece) and the Best of (w/ another six episodes)

I just watched Episode 5. Off the handle
I'm not the biggest Anime fan but this stuff is off the meter.

-MF Doom

-Dave

Rashid78
Member since May 01st 2003
0 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 08:04 PM

10. "RE: Thanks"
In response to Reply # 9

They show the seriers on Adult Swim on the cartoon network. I dont watch it.

CrushingSteps
Charter member
1219 posts
Sun Dec-01-02 10:07 PM

11. "RE: Cowboy BeBop"
In response to Reply # 0

When you say movie, do you mean ANOTHER one? I've seen & HAVE the movie. It's called Knockin On Heaven's Door(or something like that), and it's about 2 hours long(give or take)...man download Kazaa & do a search you can get ALL those jammies fo' F R E E and burn em to a DVD.....All 26 episodes & the movie... That's what I did anyway...

+sig+

In social and professional relationships, the attitude is the same as that of the warrior, even when there is no discord. The mindfulness to observe the dynamic of situations, even in a group, is the art of war.
-Yagyu Munenori

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Mon Dec-02-02 04:29 AM

13. "go on ebay and....."
In response to Reply # 0

get the whole DVD set. I got mine for about $40. Its not the same perfect sessions they sell here in the US. (its only on 3 disk) But it is DVD & in english. And its worth every penny! Warning though!!! After you see Bebop, it will be hard for another anime series to live up to the standard it will set. Its that good.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Dec-02-02 06:24 PM

17. "Here's the deal"
In response to Reply # 13

In hong kong, the bootleg dvd market is big. Dvd collections of whole anime series that go for hundreds of dollars here, are dirt cheap over there(they pretty much burn their own versions off the vhs or dvd official versions).

The Cowboy Bebop Perfect 3 disc sessions, the ones you see on ebay(make sure they are the ones with english dubbing), is a picture perfect version of the original USA Cowboy Bebop that goes for a few hundred dollars. Supposedly that version, and the version of Trigun flying around are also near perfect. Some of the other series vary in quality, but supposedly those two are the best. Thats why yoy get like 24 episodes for like forty buck

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Dec-03-02 04:10 AM

18. "yeah...I"
In response to Reply # 17

could kinda tell they must have been boots, but they look real & play perfectly. A friend of mine has the real perfect sessions. I played one of his & then put in one of mine & I could not tell the difference. (besides the fact that mine are on fewer disk) I've had my eye on that Trigun collection for some time now. Really what I want is one of the Kenshin TV collections, but since there are so many eps, they are still kinda costly. Cartoon Network really needs to pick that show up.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Dec-03-02 04:54 AM

19. "You just have to look for the so so ones..."
In response to Reply # 18

Like i hear the Bebop and the Trigun ones are flawless if you get the right ones. Personally the one i bought was Neon Genesis Evangelion which is ok, however, around the 20th episode the subtitles start to be written in very bad engris

Bebop/Trigun are on my list next tho, possibly a personal x-mas gift to myself. I honestly would have picked up the normal bebop perfect edition, but hundreds of dollars on a disk set(supposedly even worth more since not many were printed) isnt in my budged yet;)

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Dec-03-02 05:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "RE: You just have to look for the so so ones..."
In response to Reply # 19

im not a big anime person, but ive seen the Trigun series multiple times and that series is mad sick...

How does cowboy bebop compare? ive heard a lot about it, and so.. i've started, umm... "acquiring" it... w/o giving away anything, whats like the basic premise and themes of the series?

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Dec-03-02 06:06 AM

21. "Well"
In response to Reply # 20

In my opinion & in the opinion of most people that I've talked to, it is one of (if not the) best anime series of all time. I've seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kenshin, Outlaw Star, etc. (Basically a ton of anime. Trigun is the only one I have yet to get into.) And none of them can compare. Although they are all good, Bebop is just the best. It starts off ok & light hearted, but some where around the middle of the series it grabs you & don't let go. It about a group of strangers who become friends/partners as bounty hunters. As the series progresses you get to see them develop relationships with each other & you get a peak into some of their past. Towards the end of the series all of it collides & comes together. Check it out. And don't let any one ruin the last couple eps for you.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Dec-04-02 11:56 AM

27. "Like he said..."
In response to Reply # 21

Although ill say this.

Reason why Cowboy Bebop is imho one of the top series is that its very simple. No big alien threats, no deep eastern philosophical theories. Just a bunch of bounty hunters trying to make loot to buy their next dinner. Its the type of show that takes place far into the future in space, but could take place in nyc in present day and not lose any of its appeal. I think its the anime series thats the easiest for someone who's not into anime to 'get' because of that fact. Add to that excellent graphics, a great western music influenced score, and just fun characters all around...just make it a great show. Trigun I like alot, but its got some flaws(heavy reliance on comedy for the first half of the series the main one). Bebop, imho, has non

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Dec-03-02 06:20 AM

22. "I'm just pissed cause...."
In response to Reply # 19

the one I have does not have the new cool looking Perfect Sessions fold out cover like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1975707099
They started selling these ones like 3 weeks after I bought mine. This looks more like the US box. They're not even selling the ones I have any more. (though mine still has a box set case, cover art, etc.) I'm thinking of selling my set & picking up one of these. Only cause it looks a lil' cooler. *lol*

auset1
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
31116 posts
Mon Dec-02-02 06:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "RE: Cowboy BeBop"
In response to Reply # 0

i gotta have it......
thanks.

"im young, willing and able"
MINNIE RIPPERTON

Mixes
http://www.mixcloud.com/rachel-stewart/
Jewelry
http://rachelstewartjewelry.com/
Art
http://rstewart.artspan.com

zano
Member since Nov 16th 2002
121 posts
Mon Dec-02-02 10:25 AM

15. "RE: Cowboy BeBop"
In response to Reply # 0

get the soundtracks, too
i think its either 2 or 4 cds

failureant
Member since Nov 10th 2002
108 posts
Mon Dec-02-02 03:29 PM

16. "co-sign"
In response to Reply # 15

I think there's about 3 soundtracks and 2 ep's
All worth it in my opinion.

I Draw Stuff
www.failurecomics.com/basement

http://www.failurecomics.com/antarellis

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Wed Dec-04-02 08:08 AM

23. "mostly drum and bass and techno, right?"
In response to Reply # 15

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Wed Dec-04-02 08:52 AM

24. "Really? I thought from the show...."
In response to Reply # 23

that it would be more of a jazzy sound.

Faylock
Member since Jun 27th 2002
31 posts
Wed Dec-04-02 10:10 AM

25. "RE: Really? I thought from the show...."
In response to Reply # 24

>that it would be more of a jazzy sound.

I got the import boxset at Otakon this year for like $140. The first 3 cds are all of the cds released of cowboy bebop put into 3, with the last cd being a live recording of my man Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts. WELL WORTH IT!!! Almost all of the music is jazzy, with a little bit of techno into it. I'd recommend it to any cowboy bebop or jazz fan.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Wed Dec-04-02 11:20 AM

26. "Cool...."
In response to Reply # 25

I may check it out. Thanks.

KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Wed Dec-04-02 12:47 PM

28. "Yoko Kanno is a woman..."
In response to Reply # 25
Wed Dec-04-02 12:50 PM

She's become quite prolific with Macross Plus being her big breakthrough anime project. If you dig the Bebop soundtracks, I strongly suggest you try out her Macross stuff. More techno/pop but leaques ahead of the usual synth pop of most anime.

Supposedly Ed is inspired by her and her antics.

Later...
Kwesi K.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Thu Dec-05-02 07:01 AM

33. "on my..."
In response to Reply # 28

DVD set (bootleg from Japan) they have interviews with her & the people that voiced the cast. And none of them look like you would think. (1/2 of the were old. I mean old! *lol*) Only bad thing is its in Japanese so you can't understand what they are saying. And they don't show the american voice actors.

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Wed Dec-04-02 07:30 PM

29. "Favorite Episode? Why? (Don't include spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

I've only seen 4 episodes thus far..
but number 5 is just amazing. Why? The Cathedral sequence. Especially it's climax...WOW
hauntingly beautiful

-MF Doom

-Dave

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Wed Dec-04-02 11:51 PM

30. "my top few."
In response to Reply # 29

btw. if you think ballad for fallen angels was dope...you'll love the hell out of the last episode. and knockin on heaven's door.

but my to favs.

pierot le fou- probably one of the best villains in an anime ever. the backstory, which is revealed in the last few minutes is haunting in a 'five year old with a bowie knife' kind of way.

the real folk blues- the last of the series and the best one. explains a lot about spike and vicious' past with the mafia. makes you draw your own conclusions at the end.

speak like a child- one of the episodes with the least action in it. but it's a stand alone episode, explaining faye's past. it emotionally draws you in and at the very end, you realize what is going on. it actually made my girlfriend at the time cry upon seeing it. well that and the last episode.

toys in the attic- one of the most pointless but funniest episodes if you look at it a certain way. it almost is a parody of the alien and alien rip off movies.

mushroom samba- let's just say that...the crew gets high and it's full of hallucinations...hence the title of the session.

but most likely you can find it in virgin megastore...if there's one in your area. i found the cheapest ones for 20 bucks a dvd on some websites. and knockin on heaven's door should be out in 2003 in certain movie theatres. and if it's not worth the wait, you may beable to find someone to send you a burned copy that you can play on windows media player.

enjoy otherwise.

abe vigoda says "i like dick durbin!"
dick durbin: today chicago...tomorrow, the world.

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Thu Dec-05-02 06:31 AM

31. "anything with EDWARD!!!"

muhahahahahaha!

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Thu Dec-05-02 06:57 AM

32. "the real folk blues.....and....."

the real folk blues- once you see it....you'll understand.....

But I also like:

toys in the attic-only cause I love Alien/Aliens & this reminds me of it. Plus spike goes all out in the end trying to kill it.

ballad for fallen angels- yup. Thats a good one.

Sympathy For The Devil- Not sure why.... but I really like the concept.

pierot le fou- One bad MOFO!

And the one where Ed is playing the old guy in chess. (ya gotta love Ed)
Really all the eps are good. But those are my favs.
(EDIT)Its killing me not to go on ebay & buy or just download Knocking on Heaven's Door. I'm trying to hold out until it hits the big screen. But I'll be madd salty if its not showing in my area. (/EDIT)

KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Thu Dec-05-02 12:46 PM

34. "COWBOY ANDY!!!"

...and the ep. where they find Ed's father are up there for me. The tragic lunacy that both of these eps. kicked off really did it for me.

Besides someone already mentioned Mushroom Samba.

Best sad backstory eps. go to Jet though. Ganymead Elegy and Black Dog Serenade completed him and his quirks perfectly.

Later...
Kwesi K.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #12481 Previous topic | Next topic