Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #12162

Subject: "Frida" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
gravity508
Charter member
16465 posts
Fri Nov-15-02 06:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Frida"

I must say that this movie was an interesting look into the life of Frida Khalo. Her accident, husband, lovers, her art. Im not going to give anything away (don't worry)

Honestly i think that her marriage was extremely unconventional, but beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bitch, Im Broke- Cody ChesnutT

FREE SHAY

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
www.sneakshot.net
www.thecouchsessions.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Frida
Nov 15th 2002
yes
Nov 16th 2002
      RE: yes
Nov 16th 2002
i agree. and J-Lo would have been a wack khalo.
Nov 16th 2002
? about the movie:
Nov 16th 2002
Diego--fat bastard
Nov 20th 2002
he's the greatest Mexican painter
Nov 20th 2002
FRIDA was actually a better painter.
Nov 29th 2002
RE: Diego--fat bastard
Nov 29th 2002
I saw it, it was long as hell
Nov 20th 2002
It wasn't that Jon Blaze
Nov 21st 2002
that's basically been the sentiment of folks
Nov 21st 2002
RE: It wasn't that Jon Blaze
Nov 29th 2002
I didn't like it.
Nov 21st 2002
Worth seeing, but.....
Nov 23rd 2002
WRONG!!
Nov 29th 2002
Read this if you're a REAL fan - WARNING some spoilers!
Nov 29th 2002
RE: Read this if you're a REAL fan - WARNING some spoil
Nov 29th 2002
I just saw it last night
Dec 06th 2002
Dec 06th 2002
Dec 07th 2002
loved it
Dec 08th 2002
i enjoyed it but did wish it was in spanish......
Dec 16th 2002

allison
Charter member
25289 posts
Fri Nov-15-02 08:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Frida"
In response to Reply # 0

so its worth seeing ?

~You only know what you see. You don't understand what it takes to be me~

~Don't let other people's expectations of you determine your choices~

t510
Charter member
100002 posts
Sat Nov-16-02 09:48 AM

2. "yes"
In response to Reply # 1

allison
Charter member
25289 posts
Sat Nov-16-02 02:23 PM

3. "RE: yes"
In response to Reply # 2

thanks

~You only know what you see. You don't understand what it takes to be me~

~Don't let other people's expectations of you determine your choices~

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Sat Nov-16-02 07:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i agree. and J-Lo would have been a wack khalo."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Nov-16-02 07:40 PM

the movie showed how the context to frida's art was rich; the period, her comtemporaries, and how their lives overlapped. it very much depicted an unconventional marriage- one that would be just a little too complex for most of us.

i really liked this historical/biographical piece, and again, i can't fathom jennifer lopez in hayek's place. she would have made it like moulin rouge- with 1990's jams and dances back then, and her grinding a pole and painting.

"I'm never hesistant to say-
fuck the president!!"
-Akil, J5

www.summerproleague.com/highlights.html

"Friend, you have a .45 automatic on your lap. I've got a 35-millimeter camera on mine-- and I feel my weapon is more powerful than yours."
-Gordon Parks to Black Panther David Hilliard, 1969

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Sat Nov-16-02 07:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "? about the movie:"
In response to Reply # 0

can anyone remeber the name of the photographer that had an exhibit early in the movie? i know one of mexico's greatest photographers recently died as well.

"I'm never hesistant to say-
fuck the president!!"
-Akil, J5

www.summerproleague.com/highlights.html

"Friend, you have a .45 automatic on your lap. I've got a 35-millimeter camera on mine-- and I feel my weapon is more powerful than yours."
-Gordon Parks to Black Panther David Hilliard, 1969

soulman
Charter member
53 posts
Wed Nov-20-02 08:34 AM

6. "Diego--fat bastard"
In response to Reply # 0

I like how one writer described Diego Rivera: "A huge, frog-like man" who thought of extramarital sex as a "handshake" between two people. She added that it was unknown what someone like Frida would see in Diego -- fat bastard.

raool
Member since Jul 10th 2002
12355 posts
Wed Nov-20-02 03:39 PM

8. "he's the greatest Mexican painter"
In response to Reply # 6

Not to take anything away from Kahlo but Rivera's art( paintings, murals) is very important in regards to Mexican Art History. It's kinda weird that Frida is now the star when Rivera was such an icon...

C'est gully! - desus

Zorasmoon
Member since Aug 30th 2002
37997 posts
Fri Nov-29-02 12:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "FRIDA was actually a better painter."
In response to Reply # 8

Diego said it himself..

Recommended reading:

******Parable of the Sower- by Octavia Butler*******
Story about a hyper-empath who becomes the founder of a cult created to transform the destiny of humankind

******The spirit of Terrorism- Jean Baudrillard*******
A MUST read for every thinking being
online copy @
http://awake.sparklehouse.com/downloads/papers/baud_terr.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/kimmayluv

nando242
Member since Sep 17th 2002
363 posts
Fri Nov-29-02 10:17 AM

16. "RE: Diego--fat bastard"
In response to Reply # 6

without Rivera there would be no Kahlo; fame through association.
he might be a fat bastard, but his contributions to mexican art, especially in the mural form are priceless.
people still study and use his techniques for murals (as well as the other two mexican muralists orozco and siquieros).

Baron_Davis
Member since Jun 18th 2002
6725 posts
Wed Nov-20-02 09:38 AM

7. "I saw it, it was long as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

but entertaining....why she never shaved her eyebrow, I don't know...but that unibrow shit fucked w/me the whole flick...

you must love me © jigga

Wise_Is_The_Name
Member since Jul 07th 2003
0 posts
Thu Nov-21-02 07:05 AM

9. "It wasn't that Jon Blaze"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw right through it...that said, Salma acted her ass off.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Nov-21-02 07:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "that's basically been the sentiment of folks"
In response to Reply # 9

>I saw right through it...that said, Salma acted her ass off.

who have seen it: the historical accuracy of the film is questionable (her relationship with Diego Rivera wasnt EVEN as deep as the affairs/relationships she had with women but then again that's hollywood for you)

im bias sorta cause julie taymor is an alum of oberlin--she has an amazing visual style on film...TITUS isa must see for folk who think FRIDA is her first film...but she cant tell a story effectively. the visuals are there, but the transistion is not. oh well shell get better over time...

im hoping i can catch it if it comes out where im at....Selma will hopefully get a nomination for the movie (but its going to be a toss up: Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman, and Meryl Streep ALL got films that will make them oscar worthy coming out before the end of this year)...

ill have to catch that and FAR FROM HEAVEN when they come here..THE HOURS too.

i miss living in NYC--i would have seen all these films by now!
living in the midwest sucks big time, mayne...

RC

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

nando242
363 posts
Fri Nov-29-02 10:20 AM

17. "RE: It wasn't that Jon Blaze"
In response to Reply # 9

i have to disagree, and say shes an awful actress. her method of acting depends heavily on facial expressions and being loud, but in my opinion, she didnt convey any emotion, especially in the pain and hurt department.

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Thu Nov-21-02 12:57 PM

11. "I didn't like it."
In response to Reply # 0

The direction was great. I loved to colors (the bus accident was AMAZING!) and the way they incorporated Frida's art. AND I'm just praising the Lord that Madonna's or J. Lo's versions never got made. Good God, could you imagine how HORRIFIC that would have been, especially with Jennifer. Frida with a Nuyourican Bronx accent and some dance sequences? But I digress, as much as I liked about this movie, there was much more that I wasn't feeling.

-The historical inaccuracies got on my nerves.
-The Trotsky love scene was just plain gross.
-They dealt with her sexuality in a really cowardly, fetishized way, i.e. if Frida was indeed bisexual, OF COURSE that means she had to be a "freak"--having random sex with random women, while all of her relationships with males were meaningful, deeper than just sex.
-I kept thinking, "Now, why isn't this in Spanish?" And apparently the Mexican media agrees with me. They GRILLED Salma at the press conference that prefaced the movie's opening in Mexico, saying things like, "The real Frida would have walked out of the movie because she hated Gringolandia and everything it stands for" etc.
-I didn't come out of the movie any more enriched about Frida than when I had gone in. In fact, I knew more about Frida than the movie could have captured. And yes, I understand that movies can only show so much, but at the same time, the movie just ended up flat. Salma, for all of her blood, sweat and tears that went into making this movie...though I admire her tenacity, never fully brought Frida out of a two-dimensional frame. And this is directly related to the fact that...
-The screenplay didn't sufficiently centralize Frida in her own damn story. It needed to be a vehicle for Frida to carry in the embodiment of Salma, and it wasn't. It was always about Frida in relation to someone else, namely Diego. I didn't like that, especially a movie was FINALLY put together (from writing to production) about the life of a queer woman of color, and Hollywood (as I would expect) fell short.

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Sat Nov-23-02 05:16 PM

12. "Worth seeing, but....."
In response to Reply # 0

This film shouldn't have been called "Frida", it should have been called "Frida and Diego." Don't believe me? The first scene in the movie is about Diego. In fact, any time they dealt with Frida's homosexuality it was always just her way of getting back at Diego, which in real life COULD have been the case, but is widely believed not to be.

Visually however this film was amazing. It was simply beautiful to look at, especially incorporating the paintings into real life and real life into the paintings, it was able to completely show why Frida's work is so special and meaningful, and for that I appreciated it.

As a historical document, this fails, but I don't really mind that, because if I did not know anything about Frida, or if this was a fictional film than it would have been seen as excellent, it being based on facts though kind of takes away from some of it.

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Fri Nov-29-02 01:09 AM

14. "WRONG!!"
In response to Reply # 12

If I recall (I saw it less than 24 hours ago) the first seen is 46-47? year old Frida being taken to her gallery showing, while lying on her deathbed (literally).

There is then a transition (seamlessly and beautiful I might add) to her as an 18 year old schoolgirl running with her friends (inculding boyfriend whom she kisses)

THEN Diego appears--painting a model in the auditorium.

Thats like the 3rd scene, dude.

But I agree, the story does focus heavily on their love-hate relationship--

They spent 25 years together through political uprisings, painting, life in Mexico....etc.

He died only 2 years after her....I'm not usually the drama/romantce type, but I truly believe they were meant to be together, as COMRADES if not lovers.

Recommended reading:

Story about a hyper-empath who becomes the founder of a cult created to transform the destiny of humankind

online copy @

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Fri Nov-29-02 02:42 AM

15. "Read this if you're a REAL fan - WARNING some spoilers!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll never forget the first time I laid eyes on Frida's work. I as taking an introductory level 2-D Design class and we were learning about color theory.

We were to take a great painting and paint it 4 times each using different color schemes. I had a hard time deciding on a piece, so my instructor showed me a black & white photocopy of Frida's "Broken Column":

http://www.nowsurrealgalleries.co.uk/view_pic.php3?pid=444&aid=35

That was 6 years ago. Never in my life had a painting generated such an emotional response from me. I sought out more information about the artist and her work.

By far Hayden Herrera's biography of Frida (of which the movie was based) is THE best source of info, unless you read Spanish well enough to discern Frida's own diary, which has been published.

She was a proud Mexican woman of raw talent, emotion and beauty. I believe her integrity is what I admire most about her. She truly loved her country and its people. Frida had the amazing courage to think for herself. Despite her Catholic upbringing, which had great influence upon the iconography of her paintings, she was a free-thinking human being---a.k.a atheist.

She transcended gender, and I believe the movie does a great job of conveying that. As Frida, Salma Hayek, with the help of EXCELLENT costume designers, transforms herself constantly with great ease.

Yes, her many love affairs with women may seem to lack substance, but I'm not sure if its the "Hollywood factor", or the fact that Frida herself did engage in casual sex with women--I don't know of her having any long-time lesbian relationships, (correct me if I'm wrong) which leads me to believe that she had a stronger emotional preference for men (even though they caused her the most pain). I didn't feel that the film exploited these homosexual encounters, though. They weren't portrayed as obscene even as casual as they were. I thought the scene with her in bed with the anonymous Parisian black women was shot beautifully in particular. Who was that supposed to be anyway?? Looking (somewhat) like Josephine Baker!

Hayek gives an OSCAR- worthy performance!! I'm so proud of her, and I look forward to her being cast in better roles from now on. I remember first seeing her years ago in Desparado and being struck by her beauty. Just like Rosie Perez, she's about to show the world that she's not just a T&A latina cardboard cut-out.

The other "top-billing" actors, Alfred Molina, Ashley Judd, Edward Norton, & Antonio Banderas put in damn good performances as well.

I now realize that this is not Julie Taymor's first bid at directing..and thanks to the person who recommended Titus..I will check it out. You may know that Taymor is famously known for her mastery of puppetry and costume fabrication.

http://disney.go.com/DisneyTheatrical/LionKing/index.html

http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/tdr/43.3schechner_figures.html

I can't think of anyone else who could have directed this movie better than she.

I could go on forever about how stunning the sparsely utilized visual effects were, and how the incorporation of animation into the story brought the surrealist element to life, but I'll let you see for yourself......can't spoil everything!

The fact that I'm writing this at 6:00am on a Friday (holiday, mind you) is proof enough that this movie left an impression on me last night.

I couldn't stop thinking about it, therefore I wrote this.
Recommended reading:

online copy @

nando242
363 posts
Fri Nov-29-02 10:23 AM

18. "RE: Read this if you're a REAL fan - WARNING some spoil"
In response to Reply # 15

Alfred Molina should get an OSCAR for his performance, but hayek didnt do anything for me, at all. and ed norton and judds cameos where simply for the sake of hyping the movie.

serena_love
Charter member
3404 posts
Fri Dec-06-02 11:10 AM

19. "I just saw it last night"
In response to Reply # 0

and it was the best movie i have seen in a long time. just the story of frida's life makes a great story line, but it was the director (a women...hell yeah!) and selma that made it the perfect movie. I haven't felt this good about a movie in a long long time and can't wait til it comes out on video. selma is a phenomenal actress, even though yes the movie should have been in spanish. But how else would you teach the gringo's about her life? (i coulda read the subtitles it's all good)

and the way her pictures were incorporated into the movie, how it would just go into claymation or a living collage. i wanted to cry. the crash itself was amazing.

this movie did to me what it set out to do...make me want to learn more about frida. the whole thing was beautiful and has won a place in my favorite movies list. damn that shit was dope.

Serena

Ever
Charter member
1191 posts
Fri Dec-06-02 12:28 PM

20. "RE: Frida"
In response to Reply # 0

Isnt Diego Riveras doughter upset about this film. She said it was a bad portrayel of Frida and Diegos life and how Salma was just trying to advance her career. She then went on to say that she had not seen the movie yet. HA!

"you know i rep LA city"-Amad Jamal

"you get diss in the source, your probably fresh"-Evidence

"If you can laugh at yourself loud and hard every time you fall, people will think you're drunk. " (c) Conan O'Brian

"the villain, trained by the hero for killing, now you twist 20 dollar bills up to see buildings"- Rakaa

qalyiente
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
1590 posts
Sat Dec-07-02 07:17 AM

21. "RE: Frida"
In response to Reply # 20

I saw the movie too and was impressed, I mean I never thought much of Selma as an actor but I think this was a great vehicule for her career, but be real, no Oscars until she gets some lesson. The film might not have been historically accurate ( I really wouldnt know) but you leave with a new appreciaton for her art fo so' and as a woman. And her and Diego, at least the way they were portrayed in the film, are defin. ment to be, a love like that sigh, barf Im confused... the crash scene is stunning, the blood, the fairy dust, the blessing in disguise, I didnt know what to do with myself, dear lard I am a dork.

Fat people are a joy to me. They give me great meal ideals and have taught me to do fat people things like combining foods that I would have never have thought to combine. <--okp fresh rain4u on fat people and the troubles of fasting.

L_O_Quent
Charter member
15348 posts
Sun Dec-08-02 07:45 AM

22. "loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

visually stunning, best I've seen since Amelia

great story

her husband is my hero

fast paced but slow at the same time

The offspring :-D

PSN & XBL: LOQuent

SugarCane
Charter member
12416 posts
Mon Dec-16-02 05:05 AM

23. "i enjoyed it but did wish it was in spanish......"
In response to Reply # 0

oh well. and where did they find ashley judd??

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #12162 Previous topic | Next topic