Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #12018

Subject: "drumline." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
isis
Member since Jul 13th 2002
3491 posts
Thu Dec-05-02 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"drumline."

-weak story line.
-great concept for a movie.
-wasn't elaborated upon in the movie.
-the drumline was AMAZING, for each college featured.
-they weren't actors but the intensity was caught on
camera real WELL.
-main actor, he dumb.
-left me asking in the end, where his daddy at?

and my final thought.
"i want to go to atlanta tech and see those fine ass
niggas beat on some drums for me" =)

i give it......5 out of 10..because the drumline,
and the whole marching band was AMAZING...there was
no solid story behind it though.

----------------------------
i s i s.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I liked it.....
Dec 06th 2002
you went to the premiere?
Dec 06th 2002
      groupie
Dec 06th 2002
a lot of them were high school students
Dec 06th 2002
Dallas Austin
Dec 11th 2002
RE: Dallas Austin
Dec 11th 2002
Dec 11th 2002
Dec 12th 2002
if they can do it i can do!!!
Dec 12th 2002
      PHAT BEACH 2??
Dec 12th 2002
Dec 12th 2002
blast!
Dec 13th 2002
Ebert gives it 3/4
Dec 13th 2002
WHAT THE F IS "clark a&t??????"
Dec 13th 2002
It was Atlanta A&T....
Dec 13th 2002
my bad, "atlanta" a&t
Dec 13th 2002
RE: WHAT THE F IS
Dec 29th 2002
I liked it!!!
Dec 13th 2002
PAC 10 bands
Dec 14th 2002
I liked it a lot
Dec 14th 2002
I disagree
Dec 27th 2002
Movie was GOOD!!!!!
Dec 27th 2002
i thought it was cute for what it was
Dec 30th 2002
was feeling it
Dec 30th 2002
I enjoyed it a lot
Dec 31st 2002

BlakGirlSoul
Member since May 21st 2002
14430 posts
Fri Dec-06-02 05:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I liked it....."
In response to Reply # 0

I think the story could have been developed a little more, but I am all about Black college bands, becuz I did not go to a black college....I went to the premiere, but I would see it again at the theatre..It is just a feel good movie.

"Wouldn't you have sex if you were guaranteed to cum 99.9% of the time and did not have to carry a child?" ~ My man Isa

"I was a swarthy 6th grade girl with sideburns." ~Big Fat Greek Wedding

Check This Out: www.verbalisms.com

<--- Welcome Home Baby!!!!
http://blackgirlsdontdate.blogspot.com
Black Girls Don't Date - Coming soon!

latenitemix
Charter member
51255 posts
Fri Dec-06-02 08:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "you went to the premiere?"
In response to Reply # 1

did u see jc chasez from *nsync?

______
gnap.

BrainChild
Charter member
25933 posts
Fri Dec-06-02 01:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "groupie"
In response to Reply # 3

--me--

how long will it last?

--me--
www.djbrainchild.com
www.gordongartrellradio.com
www.twitter.com/djbrainchild

Zesi
Charter member
24062 posts
Fri Dec-06-02 08:01 AM

2. "a lot of them were high school students"
In response to Reply # 0

not even in college. Georgia has great high school black marching bands.

afropuff
Charter member
7580 posts
Wed Dec-11-02 08:08 AM

5. "Dallas Austin"
In response to Reply # 0

did you know, the story was based on Dallas Austin? i did not know that, and i did not know he exec. produced either...

Hitmaker Austin follows familiar beat in 'Drumline'
By Steve Jones, USA TODAY

Long before Dallas Austin became a hitmaking producer for the likes of TLC, Boyz II Men, Michael Jackson and Madonna, he honed his musical skills on the drumline of his high school's marching band.

Austin's experiences serve as inspiration for the Charles Stone III-directed film Drumline, which opens Friday. It is a window to the competitive world of black college show-style marching bands, a flamboyant and funky world where spectacular choreography and exhilarating rhythms can make the halftime battles of the bands bigger attractions than the football games played around them. Austin is the film's executive producer as well as its executive music producer.

Drumline revolves around a talented but undisciplined freshman drummer (Nickelodeon's Nick Cannon) who butts heads with the stern band director (Orlando Jones) at fictitious college Atlanta A&T. The tension between the two threatens the unity of the band on the eve of a $100,000 winner-take-all competition.

"This is a part of black culture that is so important but hasn't really been exposed," says Austin, 30, who went to high schools in Columbus, Ga., and Atlanta, where marching band battles attract thousands of fans every year to the Georgia Dome.

"When I first took it to (20th Century) Fox, they asked, 'What's so interesting about marching bands?' I told them about the struggle that goes into the competition, not only within the bands but with other schools."

The high-energy marching style, which steers clear of the military lockstep and John Philip Sousa music of traditional bands, has been a decades-long tradition at Florida A&M, Grambling and other colleges and high schools throughout the South.

Austin says that thanks to his older brother, Claude, he knew all the marching-band routines by the time he got to high school. But he soon learned there was more to success than being able to mimic what the band did.

"I knew how to play better than everybody else," says Austin, who had taught himself several instruments, including guitar, keyboards and drums. "But I couldn't read music, and that's how they tried to hang me up. It's the same thing in the Drumline story."

The movie has been in the works since 1995, but Austin says getting the script right took time. He was leery of having it turned into a hokey comedy. Though Drumline has humorous moments, he wanted it to show the high level of athleticism and musicianship resulting from pride, respect and hours of hard work. Austin says shifting the setting from high school to college gave the filmmakers more dramatic leeway.

Atlanta A&T was created by redoing dorms and facilities at Atlanta's Morris Brown College and Clark Atlanta University. Clark's Panther Stadium got a makeover, although the school's mascot was retained so the Mighty Marching Panthers logo could serve Atlanta A&T's Pounding Panthers. Clark's band was combined with members of Atlanta's Southwest DeKalb High School to make up A&T's massive troupe, and real-life bands from Morris Brown, Bethune-Cookman and Grambling show up for the big battle sequence.

Because these bands play the most current Top 40 and hip-hop hits, Austin wanted to create songs that would actually be on the radio when the movie came out so the audience could recognize them in the band arrangements. The soundtrack's first two singles are Joe and Jadakiss' I Want a Girl Like You and Blowing Me Up (With Her Love) by 'N Sync's JC Chasez. There are also new songs by Nivea, Trick Daddy, Petey Pablo (who appears with the Morris Brown band), Jermaine Dupri, Alicia Keys, Nappy Roots and Monica.

"These bands play what's out right now," Austin says. "So we had to create music that wouldn't be dated when people saw it."

Austin stays in demand as a music producer; he worked most recently with Macy Gray. But he has other film projects up his sleeve. Production will begin soon on Jellybeans, based on a story he co-wrote with TLC's Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins. It will be a contemporary coming-of-age film centered on an Atlanta roller-skating rink. The original Jellybeans was a pre-stardom hangout in the '80s for Austin and members of TLC, Organized Noise and Outkast, many of whom first met at the Sunday soul skate nights there.

Austin and Watkins updated the story, however, because they didn't think younger audiences would relate as well to a period piece. He hopes the movie, which is being produced by Will Smith's Overbrook Films (Ali), will be released next fall. He's also developing a TV sitcom called Down South about a New York City kid who is sent to live with relatives in the South.

"We've sold so many records based on the Southern lifestyle," he says, "but it hasn't been depicted on TV as much. But down here, we still eat Sunday dinners together, and even the hardest thug still wipes his feet before he goes into Mrs. Johnson's house."

ne_atl
Charter member
18873 posts
Wed Dec-11-02 08:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: Dallas Austin"
In response to Reply # 5

I was at the ATL premiere... Niggas already have that movie on Bootleg.

"As If I'm Really Gonna Give A Fuck About What You're About To Say Right Now"
"I'm disappointed in ALL Okay artist in 2002. Your albums are let downs."

in my CD changer:

***MY OLD SCHOOL CDs in CHANGER***
Steady B - Bring The Beat Back (1988)
Krush Groove Soundtrack (1985) (tape converted to CD)
Paris - The Devil Made Me Do It (1989)
Big Daddy Kane - It's a Big Daddy Thing (1989)

User Tag: whoSneXt

likwit_crew
Charter member
5986 posts
Wed Dec-11-02 09:58 AM

7. "RE: Dallas Austin"
In response to Reply # 6

my brother saw that shit on bootleg in Afghanistan!

Long Beach is the spot where I serve my caine - Snoop

mamazgun
Charter member
330 posts
Thu Dec-12-02 02:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: Dallas Austin"
In response to Reply # 5

>Atlanta A&T was created by redoing dorms and facilities at
>Atlanta's Morris Brown College and Clark Atlanta University.
>Clark's Panther Stadium got a makeover, although the
>school's mascot was retained so the Mighty Marching Panthers
>logo could serve Atlanta A&T's Pounding Panthers. Clark's
>band was combined with members of Atlanta's Southwest DeKalb
>High School to make up A&T's massive troupe, and real-life
>bands from Morris Brown, Bethune-Cookman and Grambling show
>up for the big battle sequence.
>

Daaaang! don't nobody have something other than a panther for a mascot??!

Marching band was the shyte! when I went to Southwest a.k.a SWD. I'm so happy to see that they got involved with this project. They were supposed to play a track on Aquemini 'cause andre3000 is an alumn but apparently there was a problem, so morrisbrown got to do it instead. Still, Andre sported the band uniform in the liner notes . . a nice tribute to the band.

I remember band shows being pure adrenaline, that's why, no matter how stupid this movie looks to ya'll, your criticisms will go unheeded. Obviously ya'll didn't have good bands at ya'lls schools and have no idea the kind of energy they bring to the field or the time or the committment or the skillz entailed. I pity the fool . . . and battle of the bands?! STOP PLAYIN' . . . that was pure SKILLZ. man, those were the good ole days.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~
Pero no amo tus pies
sino porque anduvieron
sobre la tierra y sobre
el viento y sobre el agua,
hasta que me encontraron.

-de "Tus Pies" || Pablo Neruda.

`````````````````````````````````````````
"She who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." --Frances E. Willard, How I Learned to Ride the Bicycle

Bicycling is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of bir

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Dec-12-02 09:28 AM

9. "if they can do it i can do!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

everybody making movies nowadays. im eagerly anticipating drumline tho, but i need to really start working on my script...something like road trip, but at a HBCU! how u love dat!

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Thu Dec-12-02 02:00 PM

11. "PHAT BEACH 2??"
In response to Reply # 9

or perhaps PHAT BEACH AFTER NEXT

"Cats are still using the same five curse words. If you take out 'shit,' 'bitch,' 'nigga,' murder,' and 'killa,' (the)mother-fuckin' record would sound like an instrumental!"
-MF Doom

"The payoff is much sweeter than the payback"
-Dave

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Thu Dec-12-02 01:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: Dallas Austin"
In response to Reply # 5

Dag, not one band member from NC A&T??? They had me all hyped on the commercial. This movie could've very well been about NCA&T because they were getting a bit "Star Wars-y" on us for a minute.

arispect
Charter member
2879 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 06:00 AM

12. "blast!"
In response to Reply # 0

i'll probably see drumline today... but if you liked the drumming in that, see "blast", it's incredible

www.myspace.com/thesmyrk

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 07:29 AM

13. "Ebert gives it 3/4"
In response to Reply # 0

When the first half is over, the show begins. So "Drumline" advises us, in a story centered on the marching band of a predominantly black university in Atlanta. Devon (Nick Cannon), a drummer so good he was personally recruited by the bandmaster, journeys from Harlem to the middle-class world of Atlanta A&T, where he is the best drummer in the band, and the most troublesome.

He's a hotshot, cocky, a showboat who adds a solo to the end of his audition piece and upstages his section leader in front of thousands of fans during a half-time show. The movie shows him gradually drumming himself out of the band, and out of favor with Laila (Zoe Saldana), the dance major he's dating. It also shows him growing up, learning some lessons, and making a friend out of a former enemy.

The film sets Devon's story against the background of the BET Big Southern Classic, a (fictional) annual competition between marching bands that's held in Atlanta. His school's traditional rival is cross-town Morris Brown University, a real school whose band is famed for its halftime shows. MBU's band is flashy and high-stepping, doing anything to please the crowd, while Atlanta A&T's bandmaster, Dr. Aaron Lee (Orlando Jones), has more serious musical tastes and believes the primary job of a band member is to learn.

"Drumline," directed by Charles Stone, and written by Tina Gordon Chism and Shawn Schepps, is entertaining for what it does, and admirable for what it doesn't do. It gets us involved in band politics and strategy, gives us a lot of entertaining halftime music, and provides a portrait of a gifted young man who slowly learns to discipline himself and think of others. That's what it does.

What it doesn't do is recycle all the tired old cliches in which the Harlem kid is somehow badder and blacker than the others, provoking confrontations. Devon makes the nature of his character clear in a heartbreaking early scene when, after high school graduation, he talks to his father, who abandoned the family, and tells him he doesn't do drugs, doesn't have a lot of little kids running around, and has a full scholarship to university. This is a movie that celebrates black success instead of romanticizing gangsta defeatism. Nick Cannon plays Devon as a fine balance between a showoff and a kid who wants to earn admiration.

The key rivalry in the film is between Devon and Sean (Leonard Roberts), head of the drum section and the band's best drummer--until Devon arrives. They develop a personal animosity that hurts the band, Dr. Lee believes. He disciplines Devon for violations of the band rule book, for provoking a fight with another band member and, most painfully, for keeping a secret that Sean makes sure is revealed.

Dr. Lee has a problem, too, with the school president, who likes Devon's showboating and thinks the band needs more pizzazz to please the alums. Orlando Jones makes his character a thoughtful teacher, a little old-fashioned, who believes in values. In creating this character, the writers must have been thinking about real teachers they admired, since they avoid the usual Mr. Chips/Dead Poets cliches.

The love story between Devon and Laila is sweet and remarkably innocent, for a contemporary movie. They share one tender kiss, although the eagle-eyed MPAA rates the film PG-13 for "innuendo." Oh, I forgot: The MPAA also singles out "language," although this is one of the cleanest-talking urban movies in history. If this isn't a PG film in today's world, what is?

It is also, in a very sincere way, touching. It pays attention to its characters, gives them weight and reality, doesn't underline the morals but certainly has them. "Drumline" joins titles like "love jones," "Soul Food," "Barbershop" and "Antwone Fisher" in the slowly growing list of movies about everyday African-American lives. What a good-hearted film.

Note: The filmmakers filled the Georgia Dome with 50,000 extras for the rousing marching band showdown, which features the actual bands of Morris Brown College and Clark Atlanta University, Bethune-Cookman College in Daytona Beach, and Louisiana's Grambling State. Morris Brown was a good sport to allow its bandmaster to be portrayed as the villain.

Copyright © Chicago Sun-Times Inc.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 09:27 AM

14. "WHAT THE F IS "clark a&t??????""
In response to Reply # 0

I know aggies are pissed :-p

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

BlakGirlSoul
Member since May 21st 2002
14430 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 11:10 AM

15. "It was Atlanta A&T...."
In response to Reply # 14

But it was shot @ CAU

"Wouldn't you have sex if you were guaranteed to cum 99.9% of the time and did not have to carry a child?" ~ My man Isa

"I was a swarthy 6th grade girl with sideburns." ~Big Fat Greek Wedding

Check This Out: www.verbalisms.com

<--- Welcome Home Baby!!!!
http://blackgirlsdontdate.blogspot.com
Black Girls Don't Date - Coming soon!

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 08:12 PM

17. "my bad, "atlanta" a&t"
In response to Reply # 15

I know some aggies and floridians that will be livid...

__gigs__
__stuff__

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun Dec-29-02 09:33 PM

22. "RE: WHAT THE F IS"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun Dec-29-02 09:35 PM

It was a fictitious(sp?) school. kind of a spin-off of North Carolina A&T, and Clark-Atlanta Univ.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oooo baby I like it raw. Oooo baby I like it RAAAW!(c)ODB- Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Fri Dec-13-02 08:10 PM

16. "I liked it!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-13-02 08:11 PM

you hbcu types will like it too.....
losts of background development interms of the hbcu
band culture (kk psi, etc.)
I think Morris Brown Colleges should have won the
drum line stand up, but there main show sucked.
Peace.

__gigs__
__stuff__

cindylu
Charter member
10644 posts
Sat Dec-14-02 12:03 AM

18. "PAC 10 bands"
In response to Reply # 0

i feel like i missed out on the real college band experience because my college band was mainly white. but i definitely do understand the dedication that band members put into it in high school and college. i kinda miss the hs competitions.

¡la greñuda! combing my hair is a waste of time

https://cindylu.wordpress.com/

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Sat Dec-14-02 03:55 PM

19. "I liked it a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

a cute movie

great drumline/band sequences

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

Smoody
Member since Jun 11th 2002
12815 posts
Fri Dec-27-02 05:45 AM

20. "I disagree"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought the storyline was well done

I thought the concept was executed well

I was having high school marching band flashbacks (we didn't get to do the cool songs tho)

Good movie I'd recommend, especially for like a date or something

peace

Smoody

People of color are NOT a minority. Think Global.

Don't Let Hollywood fool you.

MisterGrump
Charter member
32144 posts
Fri Dec-27-02 12:53 PM

21. "Movie was GOOD!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

The percussion battles brought back memories from hgih school. It was also good to see actual sorrorities and fraternities in the film and play some susbstance in the film(Jason Weaver's character).

SugarCane
Charter member
12416 posts
Mon Dec-30-02 04:54 AM

23. "i thought it was cute for what it was"
In response to Reply # 0

but that white guy who got challenged looked old as hell!! i guess he's one of those 30-something actors who play 19-20 year olds.

twilite
Member since Sep 24th 2002
1979 posts
Mon Dec-30-02 08:31 AM

24. "was feeling it"
In response to Reply # 0

That movie was good cats had some real talent and the 7up guy did a good job. I seen him in a different way.

http://www.mijamag.com "It's not just a magazine, it's a movement"

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Dec-31-02 02:57 PM

25. "I enjoyed it a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

The commercials did that film NO justice. It is actually more of a drama than a comedy (the commercials had me thinking this joint would be a black Porky's with drums...LOL...but so many people told me it was good, I figured I would give it a shot and I liked it).

The chemistry between the male and female lead was great. I could have done without the throwaway "white boy drummer wants his respect" subplot (mainly b/c dude wasn't that great of an actor and was underdeveloped anyway), but the rest of the flick was pretty strong. orlando jones did a lot better than expected in a serious role (I've never even seen him in a serious role before).

The climactic drumline competition was classic.

It had some funny moments interspersed in there too.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #12018 Previous topic | Next topic