Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #115195

Subject: "The Eighth Annual Spilled Latte Award WINNERS!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 04:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Eighth Annual Spilled Latte Award WINNERS!"
Mon Feb-23-15 02:37 AM by Frank Longo

Behold, the results of PTP's own annual film awards, the Spilled Lattes!

For Best Original Score:
In 5th place, Alexandre Desplat for The Imitation Game.
In 4th place, Justin Hurwitz for Whiplash.
In 3rd place, Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross for Gone Girl.
In 2nd place, Hans Zimmer for Interstellar.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Original Score... Mica Levi for Under the Skin!

This marks only the second time in Lattes history that the winner of Best Original Score failed to be nominated for the Academy Award that year.

For Best Cinematography:

In an unprecedented FIVE-WAY TIE for 3rd place, Robert Elswit for Nightcrawler, Daniel Landin for Under the Skin, Emmanuel Lubezki for Birdman, Robert Yeoman for The Grand Budapest Hotel, and Bradford Young for A Most Violent Year.
In 2nd place, Hoyte van Hoytema for Interstellar.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Cinematography... Bradford Young for Selma!

This is only the second time that a cinematographer has been nominated twice in the same year-- the first time was the first Spilled Latte Awards, when Roger Deakins was nominated for The Assassination of Jesse James... and for No Country For Old Men. Deakins, like Young, also won the Latte.

For Best Adapted Screenplay:

Tied for 5th place, Mark Bomback, Rick Jaffe and Amanda Silver for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and James Gunn and Nicole Perlman for Guardians of the Galaxy.
In 4th place, Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth, and John-Henry Butterworth for Edge of Tomorrow.
In 3rd place, Paul Thomas Anderson for Inherent Vice.
In 2nd place, Gillian Flynn for Gone Girl.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Adapted Screenplay... Damien Chazelle for Whiplash!

Chazelle continues the undefeated streak of first-time Latte nominees winning Best Adapted Screenplay. This is also only the second time a person nominated for both Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay won this award-- the other being Paul Thomas Anderson for There Will Be Blood in the First Spilled Lattes.

For Best Original Screenplay:

Tied for 4th place, Steven Knight for Locke, and Richard Linklater for Boyhood.
In 3rd place, Paul Webb for Selma.
In 2nd place, Wes Anderson for The Grand Budapest Hotel.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Original Screenplay... Dan Gilroy for Nightcrawler!

This marks the first time that a pair of siblings has won Spilled Lattes! Tony Gilroy, Dan's brother, won the Best Original Screenplay Latte in the First Spilled Lattes.

For Best Supporting Actress:

Tied for 4th place, Jessica Chastain for Interstellar and Laura Dern for Wild.
In 3rd place, Carrie Coon for Gone Girl.
In 2nd place, Carmen Ejogo for Selma.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Supporting Actress... Patricia Arquette for Boyhood!

This is the fourth time in six years that the Supporting Actress Latte has lined up with the Oscar winner.

For Best Supporting Actor:

Tied for 5th place, Mark Ruffalo for Foxcatcher and Henry G. Sanders for Selma.
In 4th place, Josh Brolin for Inherent Vice.
In 3rd place, Ethan Hawke for Boyhood.
In 2nd place, Edward Norton for Birdman.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Supporting Actor... J.K. Simmons for Whiplash!

After the first five Spilled Lattes for Best Supporting Actor went to the eventual Oscar winner, this is the first time in three years the Oscar and Spilled Latte have lined up in this category.

For Best Actress:

Tied for 4th place, Jessica Chastain for A Most Violent Year and Essie Davis for The Babadook.
In 3rd place, Reese Witherspoon for Wild.
In 2nd place, Scarlett Johansson for Under the Skin.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Actress... Rosamund Pike for Gone Girl!

This is the second time a David Fincher leading lady has won the Latte-- previously, Rooney Mara won Best Actress for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

For Best Actor:

in 5th place, Ralph Fiennes for The Grand Budapest Hotel.
In 4th place, Oscar Isaac for A Most Violent Year.
In 3rd place, Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler.
In 2nd place, Michael Keaton for Birdman.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Actor... David Oyelowo for Selma!

In a year with plenty of close races, Oyelowo won by the largest margin of the victory in any category. This is only the third time in the history of the Lattes that the winner of Best Actor failed to receive even a nomination from the Academy.

For Best Director:

Tied for 5th place, Jonathan Glazer for Under the Skin and Christopher Nolan for Interstellar.
In 4th place, Damien Chazelle for Whiplash.
In 3rd place, Richard Linklater for Boyhood.
In 2nd place, Alejandro G. Inarritu for Birdman.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Director... Ava DuVernay for Selma!

It's not only the first win in three nominations for female Directors (Kathryn Bigelow being both of the other two nominees), it's the first win for a woman in a non-acting Latte category, period.

For Best Picture:

In 9th place, The Grand Budapest Hotel.
In 8th place, Nightcrawler.
Tied for 6th place, Inherent Vice and Interstellar.
In 5th place, Birdman.
In 4th place, Boyhood.
In 3rd place, Under the Skin.
In 2nd place, Whiplash.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Picture... Selma!

Selma ends the night with four wins, tying it with 12 Years a Slave, Drive, Inception, The Wrestler, and There Will Be Blood for the most wins in Lattes history. Every other film takes home only one award.

Thanks again to everyone who voted! See you all next year!

Here are the nominees (a.k.a. the Top 5 votegetters) for the Eighth Annual Spilled Latte Awards. Note: some categories may have more than 5 nominees due to a tie in the amount of votes the nominees received. The results are in-- no need to vote on these-- and will be announced the day after the Oscars, in order to steal their shine.

Selma leads the way with seven nominations, tying No Country For Old Men, Drive, The Master, and 12 Years a Slave for the second highest number of noms for a single film in Spilled Lattes history.

The nominations are evenly dispersed, promising a number of very close finishes. Birdman, Boyhood, Interstellar, Under the Skin, and Whiplash all received five nominations, including Best Picture for each. Gone Girl, The Grand Budapest Hotel, and Nightcrawler each received four.

BEST PICTURE:

Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Inherent Vice
Interstellar
Nightcrawler
Selma
Under the Skin
Whiplash

BEST ACTOR:

Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler
Oscar Isaac, A Most Violent Year
Michael Keaton, Birdman
David Oyelowo, Selma

BEST ACTRESS:

Jessica Chastain, A Most Violent Year
Essie Davis, The Babadook
Scarlett Johansson, Under the Skin
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon, Wild

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

Josh Brolin, Inherent Vice
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Edward Norton, Birdman
Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
Henry G Sanders, Selma
J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Jessica Chastain, Interstellar
Carrie Coon, Gone Girl
Laura Dern, Wild
Carmen Ejogo, Selma

BEST DIRECTOR:

Damien Chazelle, Whiplash
Ava DuVernay, Selma
Jonathan Glazer, Under the Skin
Alejandro G. Inarritu, Birdman
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Christopher Nolan, Interstellar

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Dan Gilroy, Nightcrawler
Steven Knight, Locke
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Paul Webb, Selma

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

Paul Thomas Anderson, Inherent Vice
Mark Bomback, Rick Jaffe and Amanda Silver, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Damien Chazelle, Whiplash
Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl
Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth, and John-Henry Butterworth, Edge of Tomorrow
James Gunn and Nicole Perlman, Guardians of the Galaxy

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

Robert Elswit, Nightcrawler
Daniel Landin, Under the Skin
Emmanuel Lubezki, Birdman
Hoyte van Hoytema, Interstellar
Robert Yeoman, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Bradford Young, A Most Violent Year
Bradford Young, Selma

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

Alexandre Desplat, The Imitation Game
Justin Hurwitz, Whiplash
Mica Levi, Under the Skin
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, Gone Girl
Hans Zimmer, Interstellar

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Was the voting done in a post on here?
Feb 23rd 2015
Sure was-- it was anchored for nearly a month.
Feb 23rd 2015
      Damn...how da hell did I miss that?
Feb 24th 2015
you're a better mod than PTP deserves
Feb 24th 2015
Great job doing this as usual, Frank
Feb 24th 2015
Solid results....Under the Skin and Whiplash represented well
Feb 24th 2015

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 08:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Was the voting done in a post on here?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 08:08 PM

2. "Sure was-- it was anchored for nearly a month."
In response to Reply # 1

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 09:03 AM

5. "Damn...how da hell did I miss that?"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 04:44 AM

3. "you're a better mod than PTP deserves"
In response to Reply # 0

excellent work as always. did the new voting format increase participation any? i like the at-a-glance winners-only summary you posted in GD. that should be somewhere in here, if not at the top.

as for the awards, i usually trash our snobby latte-sipping tastes, and i'd be completely justified doing it again here (only one of our nine winners were from a film that cleared more than $50 mil at the box office). i won't though 'cause selma, whiplash, and nightcrawler are all excellent films and it's not at all hard to see why they'd appeal to our demographic. maybe dividing the votes up by category instead of having everybody make their own individual posts reduced the amount of ballots that were just one long humblebrag about all the obscure films someone saw. i wish more blockbusters got shine here (think guardians of the galaxy or lego movie, though i wasn't anywhere near as into those as most), but i can live with what we did here. we whiffed on interstellar, but at least there are no holy motors.

biggest snubs by far are eddie red, mayne, and julianne moore not even getting noms. i'm guessing not enough saw theory of everything or still alice, as they're not really in our lane (and honestly they're not so much legit movies as they are acting showcases), but then i see much more obscure movies getting noms and it's like hmm. our oyelowo and pike lattes are fine replacements for the academy's choices though. our biggest W is giving no hardware to the grand budapest hotel, which is an unwatchable disaster that the academy fell head over heels for.

and it goes without saying that we killed the academy this year. our nominees and winners are just head and shoulders above theirs. reading the anonymous ballots on hollywood reporter (and i realize they select those partly to stir up controversy), it's staggering how stupid the voting process is of actual academy members. "nightcrawler was gross, so that's out." "whiplash was all about abuse, i can't reward that." "i was really offended when the cast of selma spoke out against police brutality; we need to squash that kind of political posturing in the oscar race (i.e. the kind i can't relate to because i'm a middle-aged white man living in beverly hills)." just staggering.

all in all, take a bow, kids. we put another great year in the books and we've got an even bigger one coming up (tarantino, crooze, terminator, bond, jurassic world, avengers, star wars). don't forget to tip your boy franklin on the way out.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

notnac
Charter member
1607 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 05:00 AM

4. "Great job doing this as usual, Frank"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks!

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 09:48 AM

6. "Solid results....Under the Skin and Whiplash represented well"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm proud of the voters.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #115195 Previous topic | Next topic