Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #114854

Subject: "Ryan's Student Film Tales Version 3.0 (WATCH MY FILM!)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43736 posts
Tue Dec-27-05 05:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ryan's Student Film Tales Version 3.0 (WATCH MY FILM!)"
Tue Dec-27-05 05:24 PM by Ryan M

So, I'm done and graduated from film school - but that's not to say that I am done with the films I worked on while there. I currently have 2 films that I produced that are pretty much done. Let's start with the bad and go toward the good, shall we?

Remember this film?

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=40661&mesg_id=40661&listing_type=search#40662

Yeah...it's not done. Wanna know why? Well according to their website:

"12.09.05

we have finished shooting all of the additional footage for “the great misfortune of charles proctor.” the film is in its final post stage now.

decisions have been made and a few additional scenes for “the great misfortune of charles proctor” are going to be shot. the rest of the film is finished. the film will be released soon. "

That's that. They actually raised money (which is crazy cause they couldn't raise any when we were shooting) for additional scenes to "put the director's stamp on the project". Yeah, they built sets and all that. Know why? Cause when they cut the film together it didn't work AT ALLLLL. I laughed. I didn't cry, cause a rough cut, good or bad, was all I needed to get my A. I'm done with that project and them.

I am DYING to see it though. I'd also love to do a commentary on it, as I said, but that won't happen.

Here's a few stills:
http://palliumcortex.com/pvp/images/p12.jpg
http://palliumcortex.com/pvp/images/p04.jpg
http://palliumcortex.com/pvp/images/p08.jpg (thats the director in our "lab")

Here's one of their "art films" that they do often:

http://palliumcortex.com/pvp/videos/Windless_MEDFI.mov

(It's bad.)

Anyway now on to the good...

The film I produced for my NYU homie is 99% done and aside from a few problems, I think it's good. I'm proud of it. Again, it's an excercise but here it is in all it's glory:

hxxp://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2C02QZFQVECHN3AZMZIX8ALRN2

Lemme know what you think, good or bad.

That's it.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Okay, I'll do a bang-by-bang analysis as it goes.
Dec 27th 2005
Also, that art film is fucking awful.
Dec 27th 2005
they aint ready for Arthaus Tu (also with an umlat)
Dec 31st 2005
      Son, we need to work on that before you return to G-Ville for good.
Dec 31st 2005
Thank you sir.
Dec 27th 2005
No problem. I was just glad it didn't suck.
Dec 27th 2005
And the response.
Dec 28th 2005
      A few quick response responses.
Dec 29th 2005
Bump.
Dec 28th 2005
LOL @ the 'art film'
Dec 28th 2005
Ha. I know right?
Dec 28th 2005
      Hilarious.
Dec 28th 2005
           wouldnt it all be just be chaotic?
Dec 28th 2005
                those are anarchists you're thinking of
Dec 28th 2005
                     aah.
Jan 01st 2006
                          They care about nothing Lebowski
Jan 03rd 2006
Bump.
Dec 28th 2005
Booya...an anchor.
Dec 29th 2005
Y'know bad feedback is okay too.
Dec 29th 2005
Okay, no hard feelings but:
Dec 30th 2005
No problem.
Dec 30th 2005
Yeah the music was kinda iffy.
Dec 30th 2005
      I actually liked the music
Jan 03rd 2006
I'm not going to do a big review of it.
Jan 01st 2006
Thanks for the review.
Jan 01st 2006
Windless>>>>>>>Strangers
Jan 03rd 2006
the ysi link is down
Dec 31st 2005
*** NEW LINK ***
Dec 31st 2005
RE: *** NEW LINK ***
Jan 01st 2006
RE: *** NEW LINK ***
Jan 01st 2006
      Question, cuz I've always been interested in this
Jan 02nd 2006
           film stock homes
Jan 02nd 2006
           RE: Question, cuz I've always been interested in this
Jan 02nd 2006
                I'm literally looking to do something as cheap as possible
Jan 02nd 2006
                     RE: I'm literally looking to do something as cheap as possible
Jan 02nd 2006
                          How so?
Jan 02nd 2006
                               unless you have a genius cinematographer
Jan 02nd 2006
                                    Oh, he meant in terms of visual?
Jan 02nd 2006
good stuff
Jan 02nd 2006
Anyone else?
Jan 05th 2006
If I can post "Arthaus Film" and "Arthaus Tu: Umlaut Rising"...
Jan 05th 2006

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Tue Dec-27-05 05:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Okay, I'll do a bang-by-bang analysis as it goes."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-27-05 07:07 PM by Frank Longo

Pre-title scene- I'm not really feeling this shot. It just doesn't grab you...then when the light came on, I wasn't really sure where this was going. Once the title came up, I dug it more. "Strangers"...what are we talking about here? What does he see? What kind of stranger? I didn't like the shot really, but I liked the set up, it puts the title in a great place to help define how the first little scenelet is relevant to the film, and it cuts you off before we see what the hell the light is, adding mystery. I didn't turn the film off at this point. I wanted to keep watching, I was grabbed.

First scene- First of all, that teacher is sexy. Nice face, soothing voice...that is a TILF through and through. She's a pretty good actress too, she definitely has the reassuring quality of a elementary school teacher. The mom I thought was a shitty actress and had no chemistry with her son, but maybe I'm nitpicky and she'll sell me later. The son I thought was really good too... that kid seems like a real kid, not "child actor playing normal non-child-actor child". The only shot I didn't really like in this scene was the kid leaving, which to me was like this: "I want to put the camera in a different place than all the other shots...you! Walk this way...good...good...stop. Cut." I had no problem with all the close shots of the characters staying around the desk. It's an intimate meeting, and each character has an interesting relationship. I don't need to see the kid walk out of the room, I know he's leaving. I feel like the only reason the shot exists is to show the room. Technical and acting views aside, I like this scene too. I still haven't turned the film off. I wanna see the kid's project, I wanna know what happened in that scene with the light. Me likee.

Second scene (the asshole dad scene)- There's been a couple of shots where the film loses the focus that I think it desires, which is on the boy, the main character, what he knows, what he wants to know, et cetera. The p.o.v. shot of the parents watching was weird to me. Why couldn't it have been of the boy watching the parents? It seemed like another "this could be a good camera angle that shows the room" shot, when I don't really give a shit about the room, I wanna know what that boy knows. I LOVED the zooms on the TV and then the boy. You little fucker, what do you know?? (although I did wonder, what kind of a show leaves a sketch of an alien stereotype on the screen for twenty seconds? and when the dad talked, were they watching this show on mute?) The kid is interesting, and when the focus is on him and inviting us to think about what he knows/wants to know, I really am interested in the film. But the p.o.v. shot is problematic, cuz I don't want to see what he sees...I want to see him seeing it. You feel me? I'm trying to explain what I can't quite put my finger on, but I think that's what I'm trying to say. The stereotypical asshole dad reminded me of Aaron Eckhart in Nurse Betty. I don't know how I feel about the asshole dad yet either.

Third scene (the alien child molester scene)- NICE! I did NOT expect that alien arm, that shit gave me chills. Now also I see why all of those shots of the kid in bed are kind of at a neutral point...I said in the pre-scene that I wasn't feeling it, but now I understand...they show us his very immediate surroundings, but deny us the whole picture. At first I wanted something closer and more intimate, or something more whole and farther away, but now I'm feeling it. Nice alien effects too by the way.

Fourth scene (the annoying daughter scene)- Arrrgh I fucking hate that girl. She REEKS of "look at me! I'm acting!" Her dialogue doesn't help matters either. The mom is very cold towards the son though she says warm things, and the less said about the unconvincing asshole dad, the better. The cut when he banged the table was very well done though, and I like this little kid as an actor. Otherwise, I don't like this scene...at all. It doesn't really further the story. We know the dad's an asshole, we know the kid saw something. I just don't see the point as to this scene.

Fifth scene (the camera setup sequence)- I REALLY like this. It's all about watching the kid, watching him think, how is he going to solve the problem, et cetera. I also love the Kermit arm around the camera. I like the direction this film is heading in, especially because I was scared it would stall after the last scene.

Sixth scene (he turns it ON)- I just really like this kid. I don't know if he could fool an alien with his "casual stretch and push remote" thing, but hey, good idea for a kid. I can't wait to see what he taped.

Seventh scene (he turns it IN)- GOD I WANTED TO WATCH IT WITH THE CLASS! I like the kid's makeup, I like the very believable class setting. It feels like some fourth grade shit. I can dig it. Good scene. "Why I Believe" and the teacher's warm reception of what she knows is bullshit= cool.

Eighth scene (mom leaves/ dad is somewhat docile)- I hope that stuff has a point, cuz it's scenes with the worst actors in the film, that annoying fucking daughter, and makes the "asshole dad" thing seem like a cheap setup to leave the two of them alone. WHEN DO WE SEE THE TAPE? The fact that the two of them are alone better have a kickass payoff.

Ninth scene (teacher opens the tape)- That's a nice couch for an elementary school teacher's salary, LOL. Anyhow, I like this. The pictures are pretty spooky, and her reaction is cut off JUST before it hits a firm reaction, so it leaves me in suspense as to (a) what the hell is on the tape, and (b) how she'll truly react. Good sequence.

Tenth section (dad in chair/teacher uses phone/kid washing face)- The dad in the chair was lame, I didn't see the point to it. It was too long and god I hate the dad. The teacher's gonna call, I like where the narrative is headed. Also, the shot of the kid in the mirror is the second most impressive of the film (first being the alien arm), it's really solemn and kinda fucking spooky. I expected to see the alien reach around and grab him or some shit. Pretty cool stuff. But again, boy do I hate that dad.

Eleventh scene (Halloween party)- The setup is too long. It should go from outside to the mom looking towards her purse. I liked the cut to closer on the mom's face as the kid ran by, that was smooth. Also, her reaction is the best acting she's done in the film. She has more chemistry with a phone than her own son.

Twelfth scene (um...holy shit)- A series of nice shots in here... the creep up the stairs, the editing for the montage at the end, the parallels for the hands...I won't give away the ending, in case people want to watch the film unspoiled, but it wasn't totally unexpected. However, there was a damn good job done covering up the truth throughout the film. My only problem is in spoiler:

*SPOILER WARNING!!*

Why did the kid turn in that tape to the teacher? Did he watch it first? Why wouldn't he give it to his mom? Also, why did he draw the pictures of aliens if it wasn't actually an alien? I felt like afterwards when I thought about it that the whole turning in the tape was just to lead us away from the truth, and I don't know if it's made clear why exactly he turned it in to her.

*SPOILER OVER!*

In conclusion, I liked it. Some really nice shots, a good kid actor, and an interesting story to tell. The scenes I complained about now seem much more justified, considering the direction the film needs to head in towards the end. However, maybe there's a way to establish the family better? (better actors could help...though the mom did alright by the end) Maybe there's a better, less stereotypical way to establish the asshole dad/ the mom who doesn't understand/ the annoying sister. I don't know. Thinking back, the fourth and the eighth scene are much more necessary and really cool in relation to the film's conclusion (also including the dad in the chair). Maybe the film just needed a better couple of actors in the family. Maybe the dialogue needed a bit o' extra spice. I'm not sure. The only big problem I had was with the family subplot, which can't be cut, so maybe it's just the actors.

Really nice work done here. Good little short film, and I'd certainly trust these people (with a better dialogue writer perchance) to make a full-length of some sort.

Things to be proud of:
- that kid
- some of the cinematography
- the execution of the narrative and the structure, which maximized my interest

Things that could use work:
- acting
- the shots that didn't stick to the central point of "seeing what the kid sees" until the point in the film where it becomes important at the end what the teacher and mother see
- dialogue (the scenes without dialogue and the least talkative character, the kid, are the most interesting things in the film)

This is some shit to be proud of. Not your typical shitty film student film. This points towards a lot of potential for growth and further talent to come.

Cheers.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Tue Dec-27-05 06:01 PM

2. "Also, that art film is fucking awful."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Dec-27-05 07:05 PM by Frank Longo

I made a movie once with DubSpt that we called "Arthaus" (put an umlaut over the U). It had more meaning than that. Someone saw Schizopolis one too many times, didn't understand any of it, but thought it looked cool.

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Sat Dec-31-05 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "they aint ready for Arthaus Tu (also with an umlat)"
In response to Reply # 2

Droppin knowledge on 'em!

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sat Dec-31-05 01:56 PM

21. "Son, we need to work on that before you return to G-Ville for good."
In response to Reply # 20

I finish work Tuesday...let's crank it out before college.

Ryan M
43736 posts
Tue Dec-27-05 07:47 PM

3. "Thank you sir."
In response to Reply # 1

I'll do a further response later, but I really appreciate the fact you did the play by play.

Thanks

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Tue Dec-27-05 08:24 PM

4. "No problem. I was just glad it didn't suck."
In response to Reply # 3

Ryan M
43736 posts
Wed Dec-28-05 12:55 AM

7. "And the response."
In response to Reply # 1

>Pre-title scene- I'm not really feeling this shot. It just
>doesn't grab you...then when the light came on, I wasn't
>really sure where this was going. Once the title came up, I
>dug it more. "Strangers"...what are we talking about here?
>What does he see? What kind of stranger? I didn't like the
>shot really, but I liked the set up, it puts the title in a
>great place to help define how the first little scenelet is
>relevant to the film, and it cuts you off before we see what
>the hell the light is, adding mystery. I didn't turn the film
>off at this point. I wanted to keep watching, I was grabbed.

Good That's really what the hope is...just a catchy kinda opening shot that intrigues someone.

>
>First scene- First of all, that teacher is sexy. Nice face,
>soothing voice...that is a TILF through and through. She's a
>pretty good actress too, she definitely has the reassuring
>quality of a elementary school teacher. The mom I thought was
>a shitty actress and had no chemistry with her son, but maybe
>I'm nitpicky and she'll sell me later. The son I thought was
>really good too... that kid seems like a real kid, not "child
>actor playing normal non-child-actor child". The only shot I
>didn't really like in this scene was the kid leaving, which to
>me was like this: "I want to put the camera in a different
>place than all the other shots...you! Walk this
>way...good...good...stop. Cut." I had no problem with all the
>close shots of the characters staying around the desk. It's an
>intimate meeting, and each character has an interesting
>relationship. I don't need to see the kid walk out of the
>room, I know he's leaving. I feel like the only reason the
>shot exists is to show the room. Technical and acting views
>aside, I like this scene too. I still haven't turned the film
>off. I wanna see the kid's project, I wanna know what happened
>in that scene with the light. Me likee.

The classroom scene was a tough day for many reasons but Crystal (the teacher) was great. I thought she had the exact look and feel neccessary for the scene, and when the director and I were going through audition tapes, she never occured to us as one who was in the running...but when we re-watched, it was obvious she was who we wanted.
>
>Second scene (the asshole dad scene)- There's been a couple of
>shots where the film loses the focus that I think it desires,
>which is on the boy, the main character, what he knows, what
>he wants to know, et cetera. The p.o.v. shot of the parents
>watching was weird to me. Why couldn't it have been of the boy
>watching the parents? It seemed like another "this could be a
>good camera angle that shows the room" shot, when I don't
>really give a shit about the room, I wanna know what that boy
>knows. I LOVED the zooms on the TV and then the boy. You
>little fucker, what do you know?? (although I did wonder, what
>kind of a show leaves a sketch of an alien stereotype on the
>screen for twenty seconds?

Haha, well let's talk about that for a second. I'd agree with you on the POV shot...I like the shot, but I'm not entirely sure how neccessary it is. The push ins were done without the TV on, so later that stuff was created in After Effects (I believe). We didn't have the money to reshoot a TV show type scene on video and throw that in, so that was all we had really. I thought it was done decently given the existing footage.

and when the dad talked, were they
>watching this show on mute?)

No - the sound mix isn't 100% done yet. That'll be added in.

The kid is interesting, and when
>the focus is on him and inviting us to think about what he
>knows/wants to know, I really am interested in the film. But
>the p.o.v. shot is problematic, cuz I don't want to see what
>he sees...I want to see him seeing it. You feel me? I'm trying
>to explain what I can't quite put my finger on, but I think
>that's what I'm trying to say. The stereotypical asshole dad
>reminded me of Aaron Eckhart in Nurse Betty. I don't know how
>I feel about the asshole dad yet either.

Cool - this is excellent feedback.

>
>Third scene (the alien child molester scene)- NICE! I did NOT
>expect that alien arm, that shit gave me chills. Now also I
>see why all of those shots of the kid in bed are kind of at a
>neutral point...I said in the pre-scene that I wasn't feeling
>it, but now I understand...they show us his very immediate
>surroundings, but deny us the whole picture. At first I wanted
>something closer and more intimate, or something more whole
>and farther away, but now I'm feeling it. Nice alien effects
>too by the way.

Man, lemme tell you how much of a bitch that alien effect was. We had a GREAT make up artist who said she'd be able to do that effect...and man it was rough. Our arm model is a friend of mine, and she literally sat in that makeup for 4-5 hours after having it done. Sounds not so bad, but her arm itched, it was heavy, and she couldn't use the arm whatsoever. Our effects guy said it'd be better for us to do the arm in camera with makeup rather than putting it in CGI style which we were going to do, and I agree. Anyway that's the poster shot right there...that scene gave me chills to shoot.

>
>Fourth scene (the annoying daughter scene)- Arrrgh I fucking
>hate that girl. She REEKS of "look at me! I'm acting!" Her
>dialogue doesn't help matters either. The mom is very cold
>towards the son though she says warm things, and the less said
>about the unconvincing asshole dad, the better. The cut when
>he banged the table was very well done though, and I like this
>little kid as an actor. Otherwise, I don't like this
>scene...at all. It doesn't really further the story. We know
>the dad's an asshole, we know the kid saw something. I just
>don't see the point as to this scene.

There's one unscripted line in that scene - can you find it? In fact when we were watching the dailies, the director said, "Ugh, I hate my dialog man...that's the only good line." I disagree cause the dialog is alright, but the line was the best part of the scene (at least in terms of dialog). Now, the little girl was an absolute dream to work with. She and the mom were absolute professionals and both were super cool. The girl is a stage-type personality, but she's young and she'll learn. Grant, the little boy, is a helluva actor but can be problematic (actually very much so, but I won't get into that). Kristen, the mom, I thought was fantastic...but that's me

>
>Fifth scene (the camera setup sequence)- I REALLY like this.
>It's all about watching the kid, watching him think, how is he
>going to solve the problem, et cetera. I also love the Kermit
>arm around the camera. I like the direction this film is
>heading in, especially because I was scared it would stall
>after the last scene.
>

I believe that was our first day of shooting. The kermit thing wasn't a last second throw in, but the arm around the camera was. I dug it.

>Sixth scene (he turns it ON)- I just really like this kid. I
>don't know if he could fool an alien with his "casual stretch
>and push remote" thing, but hey, good idea for a kid. I can't
>wait to see what he taped.

Yeah, the stretch is a....well, stretch, but you got it. Leap of faith, suspension of disbelief, whatever. Hahah.

>
>Seventh scene (he turns it IN)- GOD I WANTED TO WATCH IT WITH
>THE CLASS! I like the kid's makeup, I like the very believable
>class setting. It feels like some fourth grade shit. I can dig
>it. Good scene. "Why I Believe" and the teacher's warm
>reception of what she knows is bullshit= cool.
>

All those extras were the shit. So fun to work with...especially the kid wearing the Prince gear. It was a thought to dress up a kid as Flava Flav, but we opted not to. Anyway, with so many kids, it was a rough scene to shoot, but we lucked out getting that classroom. The decorations are actually my mom's Halloween decorations and if you look closely, you'll see most of them jump around from scene to scene, hahaha.

>Eighth scene (mom leaves/ dad is somewhat docile)- I hope that
>stuff has a point, cuz it's scenes with the worst actors in
>the film, that annoying fucking daughter, and makes the
>"asshole dad" thing seem like a cheap setup to leave the two
>of them alone. WHEN DO WE SEE THE TAPE? The fact that the two
>of them are alone better have a kickass payoff.
>

And yeah, that scene had a point

>Ninth scene (teacher opens the tape)- That's a nice couch for
>an elementary school teacher's salary, LOL. Anyhow, I like
>this. The pictures are pretty spooky, and her reaction is cut
>off JUST before it hits a firm reaction, so it leaves me in
>suspense as to (a) what the hell is on the tape, and (b) how
>she'll truly react. Good sequence.

In fact, that couch was right about...oh, 10 feet from the dining room at the house we were shooting. Of course, you wouldn't know that, but it's good to know people buy it as 2 different locations. I loved shooting that scene just for the fact that the TV light was artificial. It looks great to me, the footage was awesome.

>
>Tenth section (dad in chair/teacher uses phone/kid washing
>face)- The dad in the chair was lame, I didn't see the point
>to it. It was too long and god I hate the dad. The teacher's
>gonna call, I like where the narrative is headed. Also, the
>shot of the kid in the mirror is the second most impressive of
>the film (first being the alien arm), it's really solemn and
>kinda fucking spooky. I expected to see the alien reach around
>and grab him or some shit. Pretty cool stuff. But again, boy
>do I hate that dad.

That's probably my favorite shot of the film...and again, that scene *DID* have a point but it takes until the end of the film to find out what its point was. I can't believe you hate the dad so much, hahahah. Maybe that's a testament to his acting, or perhaps you just hate the character, but I dug him. He was actually a good actor and is now getting some work (Cold Case, a few commercials, etc.)

>
>Eleventh scene (Halloween party)- The setup is too long. It
>should go from outside to the mom looking towards her purse. I
>liked the cut to closer on the mom's face as the kid ran by,
>that was smooth. Also, her reaction is the best acting she's
>done in the film. She has more chemistry with a phone than her
>own son.

That's my living room, haha.

>
>Twelfth scene (um...holy shit)- A series of nice shots in
>here... the creep up the stairs, the editing for the montage
>at the end, the parallels for the hands...I won't give away
>the ending, in case people want to watch the film unspoiled,
>but it wasn't totally unexpected. However, there was a damn
>good job done covering up the truth throughout the film. My
>only problem is in spoiler:

Yeah, it was a good shot. What'd you think of the hands going back and forth? It was going to be better, but since the make up was on her arm for so long...it started to crack, so we couldn't get it at the shot we originally planned on...so that's what we have. Was it clear?

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>*SPOILER WARNING!!*
>
>
>
>

>Why did the kid turn in that tape to the teacher? Did he watch
>it first? Why wouldn't he give it to his mom? Also, why did he
>draw the pictures of aliens if it wasn't actually an alien? I
>felt like afterwards when I thought about it that the whole
>turning in the tape was just to lead us away from the truth,
>and I don't know if it's made clear why exactly he turned it
>in to her.

Well, the whole point of the story was a psychological masking...he didn't wanna watch it because of this, and the mom didn't watch it cause...well...it's a leap of faith for the story, hahaha. But yeah, he's masking the dad with aliens to take the sting away from the molestation.

>*SPOILER OVER!*
>
>In conclusion, I liked it. Some really nice shots, a good kid
>actor, and an interesting story to tell. The scenes I
>complained about now seem much more justified, considering the
>direction the film needs to head in towards the end. However,
>maybe there's a way to establish the family better? (better
>actors could help...though the mom did alright by the end)
>Maybe there's a better, less stereotypical way to establish
>the asshole dad/ the mom who doesn't understand/ the annoying
>sister. I don't know. Thinking back, the fourth and the eighth
>scene are much more necessary and really cool in relation to
>the film's conclusion (also including the dad in the chair).
>Maybe the film just needed a better couple of actors in the
>family. Maybe the dialogue needed a bit o' extra spice. I'm
>not sure. The only big problem I had was with the family
>subplot, which can't be cut, so maybe it's just the actors.

I'd agree with you for the most part...although I really liked our cast. Which is rare, cause usually I really hate actors. But yeah the dialog was iffy at some points, but overall I thought the "setup/punchline" type thing worked for this film.

>
>Really nice work done here. Good little short film, and I'd
>certainly trust these people (with a better dialogue writer
>perchance) to make a full-length of some sort.
>

Thank you, best compliment I could have recieved.

>Things to be proud of:
>- that kid
>- some of the cinematography
>- the execution of the narrative and the structure, which
>maximized my interest
>
>Things that could use work:
>- acting
>- the shots that didn't stick to the central point of "seeing
>what the kid sees" until the point in the film where it
>becomes important at the end what the teacher and mother see
>- dialogue (the scenes without dialogue and the least
>talkative character, the kid, are the most interesting things
>in the film)
>
>This is some shit to be proud of. Not your typical shitty film
>student film. This points towards a lot of potential for
>growth and further talent to come.
>
>Cheers.

I really do appreciate it man...great to get a little bit of feedback from PTP as I've done nothing but talk shit about other people's films
>
>
>

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Dec-29-05 01:34 AM

13. "A few quick response responses."
In response to Reply # 7

1. I just thought from the second he started talking, "Oh great, it's another asshole dad." I've had to write a big paper on the portrayal of child molestation in contemporary film and theater (Mysterious Skin, Happiness, Albee's "The Goat"), so maybe I'm biased because I think shit like that is so complicated and so bizarre, and there are so many abusive dad stereotypes in film anyhow, that immediately a red flag went up. Scenes he was involved in (particularly the messing with the belt on the couch, and the shot of him in the chair) were given more meaning and were more interesting upon second viewing. However, with first viewing, he seems so one-note off the bat that for the scene before the climax to be the first place where we see some real life in his relationships is a bit jarring. I still liked the conclusion and the concept as a whole... maybe there are times when he's warmer to his son? If he's such an asshole to his son all the time, and the only time he's visibly warm towards him is when the mom is gone, why would the mom leave him there in the first place? With such flagrant hostility, wouldn't there be some sort of suspicion earlier? Isn't a nicer dad in theory a more convincing and thus far more startling child molester? I'd imagine you'd have to exercise some sort of charm in order to get close enough to your molestee.

2. As for the mom and the daughter...well, one at a time. The mom just doesn't seem warm to me. Maybe I'm just from a warmer family and see things different, but for me, I didn't get from the few times the mom touched her son that "protective" feel, you know? She's just very passive towards everything, which I GUESS is important so that she doesn't care that the father's a huge asshole, she'll leave them alone anyhow... but then at the end, she seems more concerned about the welfare of her son, and if she loved her husband more, I'd think she say things like "You asshole! How dare you! You're horrible!" instead of "Leave him alone! Get your hands off of him!" You feel me? It's a SLIGHT difference regarding where her loyalties lay. She didn't protect her son at the parent-teacher conference, she didn't protect her son at the dinner table, and she leaves him alone with the father on the pretense that the son will behave for the father... yet at the end, she just wants to protect her son. There's just a level of warmth she shows at the end (where I saw that she certainly can be a fantastic actress) that she doesn't for the rest of the film.

3. As for the daughter...as a school of the theater (god that sounds pretentious), I've dealt with many a child actor. On the whole, I fucking hate all of them. The best ones downplay themselves and don't shout "HEY I'M A KID!", because as someone who also has worked as a camp counselor his whole life, I know that 99% of kids don't speak in that affected manner. That's why it's hard to get a great child performance. That's why I liked the son in this film, because his acting didn't seem affected. Sidenote: for a great daughter portrayal, I just saw Chronicles of Narnia, and the girl who played Lucy I thought was warm, loving, and wonderful.

4. I thought the alien effects were great, and the cutting between the hands was quite effective. I don't care how much of a bitch the alien f/x were, they turned out reeeeeally good.

Ryan M
43736 posts
Wed Dec-28-05 12:34 AM

5. "Bump."
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone else wanna review it?

17x NBA Champions

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Wed Dec-28-05 12:40 AM

6. "LOL @ the 'art film'"
In response to Reply # 0

I was watching this shit actually thinking to myself 'okay, at some point there just needs to be a big ass red box sitting in a field somewhere'... and sure enough... BAM.

Hilarity.

Ryan M
43736 posts
Wed Dec-28-05 12:57 AM

8. "Ha. I know right?"
In response to Reply # 6

Worst excuse for a film ever.

It actually won an audience award at a festival too.

The Nihilist Film Festival.

(I can't make that shit up.)

17x NBA Champions

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Wed Dec-28-05 02:20 AM

9. "Hilarious."
In response to Reply # 8
Wed Dec-28-05 02:21 AM by buckshot defunct

Nihilists don't strike me as the 'event organizing' type

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Dec-28-05 10:51 PM

11. "wouldnt it all be just be chaotic?"
In response to Reply # 9

theyd be like "fuck this, fuck the world, fuck organising a fucking FESTIVAL".

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Wed Dec-28-05 11:00 PM

12. "those are anarchists you're thinking of"
In response to Reply # 11

Nihilists would just kinda be like ... "eh."

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Jan-01-06 05:59 AM

23. "aah."
In response to Reply # 12

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jan-03-06 03:44 PM

37. "They care about nothing Lebowski"
In response to Reply # 23

Ryan M
43736 posts
Wed Dec-28-05 02:35 PM

10. "Bump."
In response to Reply # 0

17x NBA Champions

Ryan M
43736 posts
Thu Dec-29-05 02:04 AM

14. "Booya...an anchor."
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks Longo

17x NBA Champions

Ryan M
43736 posts
Thu Dec-29-05 02:39 PM

15. "Y'know bad feedback is okay too."
In response to Reply # 0

I can take it

17x NBA Champions

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Fri Dec-30-05 04:42 AM

16. "Okay, no hard feelings but:"
In response to Reply # 15

-Generally overlit. Particularly in scenes when it supposed to be dark in the kid's room.
-Dad blows.
-Why Dad-by-fireplace turn off light except to show off lighting skills?
-Music trite.

Overall, not a lot of reason to care about anybody. Why do we like this kid? Is he being molested? If so, there's little reason for sympathy (other than the obvious philosophical ones).

--------

hell-below.com

Ryan M
43736 posts
Fri Dec-30-05 04:48 AM

17. "No problem."
In response to Reply # 16

Like I said, it's really an excercise in working with a full crew, etc. Kinda the culmination of film school...so, really there's no offense taken.

>-Generally overlit. Particularly in scenes when it supposed
>to be dark in the kid's room.

Well, that's a one light transfer. It hasn't been color corrected yet.

>-Dad blows.

Aiight.

>-Why Dad-by-fireplace turn off light except to show off
>lighting skills?

No...just to give off an ambiance about the house/room.

>-Music trite.

Can't agree with you here, but alright.

>
>Overall, not a lot of reason to care about anybody. Why do we
>like this kid? Is he being molested? If so, there's little
>reason for sympathy (other than the obvious philosophical
>ones).

I dunno...he seems like a bright kid with serious problems. I'd agree the characters can be 1 dimensional, but IMO it's well written.

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Fri Dec-30-05 07:54 PM

18. "Yeah the music was kinda iffy."
In response to Reply # 16

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Tue Jan-03-06 06:25 PM

39. "I actually liked the music"
In response to Reply # 18

I thought it was well-done and at times matched the mood of the scene perfectly.

just finished watching. I'll take another look before my review.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Sun Jan-01-06 04:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "I'm not going to do a big review of it."

Mainly, I just wanted you to know I watched it and I appreciate that you shared it with us. :-)

On the positive, it was a pretty good story, even though where it went was pretty disturbing. From what I understand, kids can be hard to work with, so I admire your ambition in using them in one of your first projects.

On the negative, I agree with what was said about the music. It's really bad, man. lol. Also, a lot of the acting was sub-par...however, the teacher was good and the little boy was decent, too.

Overall, it was a good effort, though. :-)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
<-------------- You need to be watching this show.

kurly's Super-Duper Awesome™ DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.last.fm/user/TasteeTreat

Ryan M
43736 posts
Sun Jan-01-06 04:49 PM

25. "Thanks for the review."
In response to Reply # 24

I didn't write it or direct it (I produced...but had lots of creative input as far as the sript goes)...but yes, the kids were touuuuugh to work with.

17x NBA Champions

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jan-03-06 03:54 PM

38. "Windless>>>>>>>Strangers"

I keed.

Good short. Solid acting cept 4 the Dad. I did notice that the spider appeared in 2 different places. Music wasnt all that bad especially since I got 2 hear some Monster Mash. But I also agree that the scene w/ the kid whipping the belt @ the end didnt work 4 me. Nice use of the zoom tho.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Sat Dec-31-05 02:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "the ysi link is down"
In response to Reply # 0

the art film sadly remains in working order. That shit is terrible, how'd they get into a film school?

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Ryan M
43736 posts
Sat Dec-31-05 09:03 PM

22. "*** NEW LINK ***"
In response to Reply # 0

hxxp://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=37LI6G2CJ7ZN410SQBAU24UPVV

17x NBA Champions

Colin
Member since Apr 29th 2005
84 posts
Sun Jan-01-06 08:57 PM

26. "RE: *** NEW LINK ***"
In response to Reply # 22

this is a really good short film.

The dad is a poor actor, the rest of the acting is credible. I think the music is overdone, too dramatic at times and just too much of it.

But, a very good film. Still rough obviously in a few places but well edited an intriguing story. Good job.

I am a filmmaker myself so I wonder a few things;
what was this shot on
how many feet of film did you guys use,
how many days shooting
budget

Ryan M
43736 posts
Sun Jan-01-06 11:20 PM

27. "RE: *** NEW LINK ***"
In response to Reply # 26

>this is a really good short film.

Thank you very much.

>I am a filmmaker myself so I wonder a few things;
>what was this shot on

Super 16MM. Vision 2 stock.

>how many feet of film did you guys use,

Ummm, it's been awhile...I'd say about 6000 ft.

>how many days shooting

>budget

About $20,000.

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 01:39 AM

28. "Question, cuz I've always been interested in this"
In response to Reply # 27

Where does the money go?

Cuz I wanna make a movie, but goddamn I ain't got 20 thou. I'm gonna have to make a cheap-ass digital flick if that's the case.

But yeah, where did big chunks of your budget go?

makeda
Member since Nov 18th 2002
505 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 01:51 AM

29. "film stock homes"
In response to Reply # 28

the present is undefined, the future has no other reality than as present hope, that past is no more than present memory . . . the universe is comparable to those code systems in which not all the symbols have meaning, and in which only that which happen

Colin
84 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 04:22 AM

30. "RE: Question, cuz I've always been interested in this"
In response to Reply # 28

fuck digital though...how much do you got? I'll tell u what you can do.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 07:09 PM

31. "I'm literally looking to do something as cheap as possible"
In response to Reply # 30

Colin
84 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 07:22 PM

32. "RE: I'm literally looking to do something as cheap as possible"
In response to Reply # 31

Well, some digital films are made for virtually nothing but at our end of the semester film festival all of the digital films looked like shit. It seems strange but for some reason all of the digital films looked very unproffesional.

Rule one for digital if you must is to stay indoors and away from windows! If you shoot digital, shoot 24p, light carefully and stay inside...that is your best bet.

On the other hand, being a filmmaker is about being a storyteller. Telling a bunch of stories on the cheap on digital will familiarize you with your craft. BUT, people shooting digital tend to get lackadasical.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 07:38 PM

33. "How so?"
In response to Reply # 32

>BUT, people
>shooting digital tend to get lackadasical.

I'm not questioning you, I'm just curious. I have yet to film with digital at all, just the whole "I'm more or less broke" thing will come into play at some point.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 10:28 PM

34. "unless you have a genius cinematographer"
In response to Reply # 33

digital tends to look really cheap.

_

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 10:31 PM

36. "Oh, he meant in terms of visual?"
In response to Reply # 34

I thought he meant in terms of storytelling.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Jan-02-06 10:30 PM

35. "good stuff"
In response to Reply # 22

not really a topic that appeals to me but it does work, ant that's really impressive.
I still think the kid whipping the belt at the end doesn't work.

_

Ryan M
43736 posts
Thu Jan-05-06 03:57 PM

40. "Anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for all the reviews thus far, ya'll.

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Jan-05-06 04:36 PM

41. "If I can post "Arthaus Film" and "Arthaus Tu: Umlaut Rising"..."
In response to Reply # 40
Thu Jan-05-06 04:36 PM by Frank Longo

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #114854 Previous topic | Next topic