Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #10812

Subject: "About Schmidt-what a movie" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
jefleejohnson
Charter member
18315 posts
Sun Jan-19-03 09:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"About Schmidt-what a movie"

And what a concept and this movie is for anyone who thinks they failed in life,thinks they dont matter,thinks they cant make a difference. This movie is for all yall.

This movie opens your eyes to those watching and says

"Everything you do is important to someone. Dont EVER forget it"

One of Jack's finest roles. And you know you hit a nerve when everybody in the theater is saying
"OH,you do that" and laughing hard at the scenes.

This movie should be a requirement for people who think they dont matter and are insignificant.

Because it goes deeper than a "popularity"contest and "accomplishment lists"

This movie is a great example of the Human spirit when you think your life is over and theres nothing to look forward to.

The ending is one of the most moving scenes I have EVER seen.
Jack Nicholson is a revelation as Warren Schmidt.

I wont give the storyline or the plotline away. But damn if you think anyone can touch Jack? You are effin mistaken

Rating:A

Au80: the Gold Standard in Hip Hop and R&B.
10-12 PM CST

http://kanm.tamu.edu

Foley-Time:Clock of Da Universe (it comes out when it dro

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
great movie
Jan 19th 2003
RE: great movie
Jan 19th 2003
RE: great movie
Jan 20th 2003
great movie!
Jan 19th 2003
co-sign
Jan 20th 2003
that movie is a lullabi
Jan 20th 2003
Might I reccomend Kangaroo Jack...
Jan 21st 2003
no need for recomendations
Jan 21st 2003
RE: Might I reccomend Kangaroo Jack...
Jan 21st 2003
RE: that movie is a lullabi
Jan 21st 2003
maybe they do
Jan 22nd 2003
      RE: maybe they do
Jan 23rd 2003
Feb 03rd 2003
Feb 13th 2003
well now that you put it that way
Jan 21st 2003
Dear Jefflee
Jan 22nd 2003
RE: About Schmidt-what a movie
Jan 24th 2003
do you think jack can still get it
Feb 03rd 2003
RE: do you think jack can still get it
Feb 03rd 2003
i just can't wait
Feb 12th 2003
RE: i just can't wait
Feb 20th 2003
      RE: i just can't wait
Feb 24th 2003
RE: About Schmidt-what a movie
Feb 25th 2003

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Sun Jan-19-03 12:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "great movie"
In response to Reply # 0

jack nicholson owned the role, but i still wanna see daniel day-lewis take the oscar home for bill the butcher.

.zero.

Reflect
Charter member
2473 posts
Sun Jan-19-03 07:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: great movie"
In response to Reply # 1

I saw the movie tonight. I agree with all of your points. I think the movie did a good job of portraying how the pity and the condolences people give you when a loved one passes away can sometimes just add to grief. The faces Jack makes after a person says, for the 100th time, how wonderful a person his wife are priceless.

I was actually anticipating what happened in the ending but that didn't take away from its emotional impact. I was almost in tears.

This is one of those movies that inspires, that moves you to start helping someone or to continue helping someone despite how much you want to just be selfish and only help yourself. I reacted in this fashion to this great movie.

These past two weeks I had been getting fed up with tutoring my younger cousin and started to avoid her phone calls. But after I came home tonight, I called her up and helped her with whatever she needed for about an hour and a half on the phone. Her parents
can't help her and she only has one smaller sibling. I'll end by saying that it just feels very good to be able to help someone and sometimes someone or something, something like this movie, helps you regain your commitment.Peace.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jan-20-03 11:04 AM

5. "RE: great movie"
In response to Reply # 1

>jack nicholson owned the role, but i still wanna see daniel
>day-lewis take the oscar home for bill the butcher.
>
>.zero.

Havent seen it yet but Jack got the Golden Globe 4 it last night. Altho he thought the film was more a comedy than a drama

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sun Jan-19-03 07:59 PM

3. "great movie!"
In response to Reply # 0

there have been 2 posts here on it already and theyve dropped like birdshit. Apparently more people would rather go see Kangaroo Jack.

Anyways Im glad some people here are going to see this movie. I cant reccomend it enough. Its really touching, funny and entertaining. Jack is the man, his performance is Oscar-worthy (though I think Daniel Day Lewis may have edged him out a little)

I cant wait for it to come out on DVD. It will definitley get heavy rotation

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Mon Jan-20-03 10:41 AM

4. "co-sign"
In response to Reply # 0

good film. very inspiring. i agree on all your points.

Every battle is a chance to see another cat lose to me/I don't write battle raps. I write eulogies. ~Blueprint

Every dog has his day, and even more so in rhymin'/So I decided that I'd never play the fire hydrant. ~Blueprint

=

OG OKP.
I don't come around as often but I check in now & then.

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Mon Jan-20-03 08:22 PM

6. "that movie is a lullabi"
In response to Reply # 0

it was too boring. maybe i missed some of the points you stated but damn i was sleep.

him: "what did you see?"
me: "about schimdt"
him: "what was it about?"
me: "about shit"

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Tue Jan-21-03 08:40 AM

7. "Might I reccomend Kangaroo Jack..."
In response to Reply # 6

perhaps the #1 film in America will keep you awake

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Tue Jan-21-03 10:41 AM

8. "no need for recomendations"
In response to Reply # 7

that's why i went to see that boring piece of shit movie. the son-in-law and his wife were the only good characters, everybody else was just dead.

kev

kevineras
Member since Jul 11th 2002
4979 posts
Tue Jan-21-03 02:19 PM

10. "RE: Might I reccomend Kangaroo Jack..."
In response to Reply # 7

is that seriously the #1 movie in america???? and our president is Dubya? coincidence? i think not....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

i fell in love with a baked potato....

kevineras
4979 posts
Tue Jan-21-03 02:21 PM

11. "RE: that movie is a lullabi"
In response to Reply # 6

>him: "what was it about?"
>me: "about shit"

i think that is kind of the point of the movie, or at least thats how he views his life (as shit). it is slow and its obviously not "Action-Packed," but i guess some people just need explosions/killing/sex every 5 min. to pay attention.

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Wed Jan-22-03 09:07 PM

13. "maybe they do"
In response to Reply # 11

not me though. i just thought that this movie sucked. no need of explosions, sex, guns, or drugs.

one of my favorite movies is hav plenty which had none of that. don't assume, nah fuck it, go ahead, do you. by the way, where did you find that sifyl and oly picture? i'm glad i recorded them when they were on. that was some funny shit.

kev

kevineras
4979 posts
Thu Jan-23-03 12:47 PM

14. "RE: maybe they do"
In response to Reply # 13

i'm not saying that that's why you didn't like it (the lack of sex/violence/etc.). i just remember thinking that after having seen the movie...that it wouldn't be all that popular because there wasn't a whole lot of "exciting stuff" going on in the movie, other than the dude's life.

as for the sifl and olly, here's a site:

http://www.alluvium.com/~wes/siflolly/pics/

there are others...hopefully they'll release more episodes on DVD. they released the never-shown third season, but the first two seasons still haven't been released. the first two season were bomb too.

DJ TANNER
Member since Aug 04th 2002
769 posts
Mon Feb-03-03 09:20 PM

17. "RE: that movie is a lullabi"
In response to Reply # 6

agreed
one of the most boring movies ive ever seen
although jack was real good, i was envious of the girl two seats away who actually did fall asleep

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Thu Feb-13-03 06:08 AM

20. "RE: that movie is a lullabi"
In response to Reply # 17

>agreed
>one of the most boring movies ive ever seen
>although jack was real good, i was envious of the girl two
>seats away who actually did fall asleep

Well I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get a really nice nap during this film.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

delafro
Charter member
3352 posts
Tue Jan-21-03 01:32 PM

9. "well now that you put it that way"
In response to Reply # 0

I might just have to go see it then

buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Wed Jan-22-03 07:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Dear Jefflee"
In response to Reply # 0

I will never, ever, take the advice of one of your movie OR music reviews again. about schmidt was about shit.

yours sincerely,

buildingblock.

...a child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind, god is smilin' on you and frownin' too, because only god knows what you gonna do...©melle mel

Saadiq
Charter member
1254 posts
Fri Jan-24-03 01:30 AM

15. "RE: About Schmidt-what a movie"
In response to Reply # 0

look forward to catching this when it comes out in the UK.

http://twitter.com/haroonharry

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Mon Feb-03-03 02:02 PM

16. "do you think jack can still get it"
In response to Reply # 0

up?

grandmasterfletch
Charter member
1500 posts
Mon Feb-03-03 09:32 PM

18. "RE: do you think jack can still get it"
In response to Reply # 16

>up?
hope he did not stick it to Kathy Bates fine ass!! damn that was balls her, doin that nude scene. Anyone read the article in Newsweek with her and other great supporting actors? it was pretty decent.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Feb-12-03 03:25 PM

19. "i just can't wait"
In response to Reply # 0

to see Kathy Bates nekkid

what a hottie

sosa
Charter member
9375 posts
Thu Feb-20-03 05:40 PM

21. "RE: i just can't wait"
In response to Reply # 19

I'm bout to see this tomorrow.

sosa
Charter member
9375 posts
Mon Feb-24-03 07:57 PM

22. "RE: i just can't wait"
In response to Reply # 21

I couldn't find a listing in Manhattan. Instead, I went to see City of God at the Angelika. Anyone know where in NYC, i could catch About Schmidt?

Saadiq
Charter member
1254 posts
Tue Feb-25-03 06:12 AM

23. "RE: About Schmidt-what a movie"
In response to Reply # 0

loved this movie a lot. very subtle movie.

http://twitter.com/haroonharry

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #10812 Previous topic | Next topic