Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #10077

Subject: "The Film Snob's Dictionary" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"The Film Snob's Dictionary"
Mon Mar-17-03 10:23 AM

I was gonna post about this a couple of weeks ago, but I figured there was no point. later, I thought about it and felt that apart from being entertaining, it raises some interesting issues…

The Film Snob Dictionary in this month's Vanity Fair is kinda funny… it's a spin-off from their annual Rock Snob's Dictionary. but what I find interesting is how much more vicious they are towards the people they perceive as Film Snobs than they are towards Rock Snobs. but that's not surprising, because I've found that in general, people are more accommodating of exacting tastes in music than they are of the same in film. the Rock Snob is viewed as a passionate, somewhat overzealous misfit, while the Film Snob is more of a… well, just a snob. here's how they define it:

"The Film Snob's stance is one of proprietary knowingness - the pleasure he takes in movies derives not from the sensory experience of watching them, but from knowing more about them than you do, and zealously guarding this knowledge from the Julia Roberts-loving masses, who have no right whatsoever to be fluent in the works of Samuel (White Dog) Fuller and Andrei (the original Solaris) Tarkowsky."

I don't know… some people have called me a Film Snob, and most of the entries in this directory are contents of my everyday vocabulary. but I swear to God, I watch these films because I honestly like them. and I don't get into things just because I think it's cool to do so. for example, I still reject 80% of Godard's oeuvre, no matter how genius he's supposed to be.

how about you? do you praise certain films just because they are revered by "Snobs"? and do you diss stuff just because it's popular?

anyway, here are a few sample entries… obviously, I can't reproduce the entire article, and no, there is no link. enjoy.

Bollywood: Broad term for India's Bombay-based film industry, which, though it has produced visionaries like Raj Kapoor, more routinely pumps out soapy, mass-market movies that, when projected in theaters in American university towns, somehow morph into art films.

Cahiers du Cinema: The single greatest force in inviting ridicule of French intellectuals as absurdist twits. Founded in 1951, the still-extant Paris-based monthly first attracted significant American attention when, in 1954, it published contributor Francois Truffaut's auteur theory, which posited the director as the sole author of a film. Subsequent issues built auteur-ist mythologies around such red-blooded Americans as DON SIEGEL, SAMUEL FULLER, and Nicholas Ray, putting far more thought into analysis of these directors' B pictures than the directors had put into making them. Cahiers du Cinema also abetted the French mania for Jerry Lewis, deeming him "le Roi du Crazy."

Criterion Collection, the: Achingly tasteful video-reissue company that, like Starbucks, has found success by convincing consumers that connoirsseurship always comes at a cost. (The lovingly packaged two-disc Criterion version of Straw Dogs - with Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0, a Peckinpah documentary, and a new interview with Susan George! - will set you back 40 bucks.) Having all but cornered the market on the works of prestige directors like Jean Cocteau, Federico Fellini, and Akira Kurosawa, Criterion has branched out into repackaging rock documentaries (Gimme Shelter, Monterey Pop) and "acceptable" fun movies such as My Man Godfrey, Armageddon, and Withnail and I. (AFKAP'S note: I didn't know there was a Criterion Armageddon! wtf!)

Film Comment: Smug, aggressively elitist bimonthly magazine published by the Film Society of Lincoln Center. Where Snobs go to read (or write) dithery articles about BOLLYWOOD and despairing critiques of popular cinema.

Office Space: Mildly diverting 1999 comedy about cubicle life in corporate America, puzzlingly accorded classic status in Snob circles, where ritual mass viewings are common. The sole live-action feature by Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill creator Mike Judge, Office Space is representative of a whole strain of underperforming studio films that only Snobs "got," such as John Boorman's Excalibur, the Keanu-Swayze surf movie Point Break, the Val Kilmer vehicle Real Genius, and the PAULINE KAEL-anointed Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
was this in April 2003?
Mar 17th 2003
yeah, the Hollywood issue
Mar 17th 2003
RE: Stealin movies?
Mar 18th 2003
Point Break and Real Genius ARE CLASSICS
Mar 17th 2003
i never really got Point Break
Mar 17th 2003
its on TBS every other sunday
Mar 17th 2003
      Evolution sucked, B
Mar 17th 2003
      dont listen to this man
Mar 17th 2003
      RE: its on TBS every other sunday
Mar 17th 2003
           That and Shawshank Redemption
Mar 17th 2003
                and Roadhouse.
Mar 18th 2003
                     lol I hate Roadhouse!!
Mar 18th 2003
                          Wolverines!
Mar 19th 2003
RE: Point Break and Real Genius ARE CLASSICS
Mar 18th 2003
all this sh!t is SO true
Mar 17th 2003
Excalibur
Mar 17th 2003
but you ARE a snob
Mar 17th 2003
RE: all this sh!t is SO true
Mar 17th 2003
Mar 17th 2003
Mar 17th 2003
           Forrest Gump vs Pulp Fiction
Mar 18th 2003
RE: The Film Snob's Dictionary
Mar 18th 2003
i have to admit, i read Cahiers
Mar 18th 2003
whos on the cover of this issue?
Mar 18th 2003
um... a bunch of folks
Mar 18th 2003
      Ben Affleck?
Mar 18th 2003
      RE: um... a bunch of folks
Mar 18th 2003
           if you can't find it
Mar 18th 2003
my best friend
Mar 18th 2003
does he go ga-ga over Godard's 'Contempt'?
Mar 18th 2003
      Well, fuck me too
Mar 18th 2003
      shoot...
Mar 19th 2003
           RE: shoot...
Mar 19th 2003
                merci
Mar 19th 2003
      i have no idea what you're talking about.
Mar 19th 2003
By the Way
Mar 19th 2003
armageddon was...
Mar 19th 2003
its Tarkovsky! not tarkowsky!!!!!
Mar 19th 2003
and the No-Prize goes to...
Mar 20th 2003

afropuff
Charter member
7580 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 10:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "was this in April 2003?"
In response to Reply # 0

cuz this is a CLASSIC issue! it's like, to be saved for your library! i can't believe i missed this "Dictionary", but since I'm by no means a film snob, maybe I passed it by....

At 500 pages, this issue is CHOCKAFULLA HOLLYWOOD and, not to mention, the infamous Michael Jackson article which talks about his voodoo dealings, the molestation cases, etc.!

This month's Movieline is good too, with an article on "Movie Stealers", i.e., Angelina Jolie stole Girl, Interrupted from Winona; Jude Law stole Talented Mr. Ripley from Matt Damon, etc.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "yeah, the Hollywood issue"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Mar-17-03 10:07 AM

it's on pp. 350-352

see... i can't get into Movieline, though. i guess i'm too much of a Snob for that!

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 01:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
29. "RE: Stealin movies?"
In response to Reply # 1

>This month's Movieline is good too, with an article on
>"Movie Stealers", i.e., Angelina Jolie stole Girl,
>Interrupted from Winona; Jude Law stole Talented Mr. Ripley
>from Matt Damon, etc.

Did they have anything about Colin Farrell stealin scenes from almost every movie he's been in thus far?

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 10:20 AM

3. "Point Break and Real Genius ARE CLASSICS"
In response to Reply # 0

Giving You True Lesson Moderation Since'03

Want something archived? thats what an inbox is for

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 10:22 AM

4. "i never really got Point Break"
In response to Reply # 3

but Real Genius WAS dope.

anyway, the copy of PB i watched was extra-bootleg, so i could barely even see the film... keep telling myself to give it another try, but never get around to it...

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 10:27 AM

5. "its on TBS every other sunday"
In response to Reply # 4

the end really is classic

FBI Agent Johnny Utah standing on the beach in the rain watching the bank robbing surfer paddle away to certain demise

and when questioned about it, he flings his badge into the surf

phew...

i would also like to point out that "Evolution" was also not as appreciated as it should have been

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 10:32 AM

6. "Evolution sucked, B"
In response to Reply # 5

Brandard
Charter member
11908 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 10:34 AM

7. "dont listen to this man"
In response to Reply # 6

that movie is fantastic, orlando jones should have been nominated for that role

nando242
Member since Sep 17th 2002
363 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 11:30 AM

11. "RE: its on TBS every other sunday"
In response to Reply # 5

"valla con dios"

Mynoriti
Charter member
38819 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 09:43 PM

15. "That and Shawshank Redemption"
In response to Reply # 11

or is that TNT?

fats
Charter member
2470 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 08:48 AM

24. "and Roadhouse."
In response to Reply # 15

another genius swayze movie. he had quite a run of, well, 3 watchable movies.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38819 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 01:48 PM

30. "lol I hate Roadhouse!!"
In response to Reply # 24

Red Dawn!! Now THAT'S a Swayze flick!

Bo_De_Ga
Charter member
2315 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 08:20 AM

36. "Wolverines!"
In response to Reply # 30

n/m

Bishop
Charter member
1780 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 12:55 PM

27. "RE: Point Break and Real Genius ARE CLASSICS"
In response to Reply # 3

"I. Am. A. Federal. Agent!" - Johnny Utah

"I've got hundreds just like you, and I'll have a thousand 'fore I'm through." -- Johnny Cash

Mynoriti
Charter member
38819 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 10:35 AM

8. "all this sh!t is SO true"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-17-03 10:42 AM

This reminds me of when I was walking out of "Adaptation" and I overheard someone say "yeah I liked the begining but the ending was really stupid"."Ha that was the point you idiot!" is what I thought to myself so proud and wanting to pat myself on the back because I was one of the ones who "got it" ah yes it was a proud day for Mynoriti! (yes very sad I know). But in thinking about the movie later I was actually pretty pissed off that Kaufman took such a great movie and ruined it by turning it into a Hollywood in joke. Was THAT what the guy that was walking out of the theater was alluding to? Did he really get it? (hey who knows) Was I the REAL idiot for assuming I was somehow "superior" as a film fan? hmmmmm...Either way you look at it YES

To answer your question though I like what I like but I will admit I have at times been more quick to give a film a chance if it gets praise by the some so called experts. I have friends that can't understand why I like all of that "Subtitled arty shit" and then I have friends who I suppose could be considered film snobs who cant understand how I could possibly like a movie like Forrest Gump

And yeah I tripped when I saw the Criterion Armageddon at the store too

Point Break? Buckaroo Bonzi? I dont know about all that but Office Space is Academy material

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 11:04 AM

9. "Excalibur"
In response to Reply # 8

Damn thats my favorite fantasy movie (the sword and sorcery kind, even though it was sorcery lite). I think its infinitely better than LOTR (we'll see how the next one does since I liked TT a lot). My favorite scene has to be at the end when Mordred runs Authur through with the spear and that hunk-o-meat plops out. C'mon I liked a hunk-o-meat coming out of someone, so I guess I'm no snob.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38819 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 11:09 AM

10. "but you ARE a snob"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon Mar-17-03 11:10 AM

Excalibur is listed in the article as an acceptable film. Cant you snobs read?

King_Friday
Member since Nov 22nd 2002
3087 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 11:57 AM

12. "RE: all this sh!t is SO true"
In response to Reply # 8

>
>To answer your question though I like what I like but I will
>admit I have at times been more quick to give a film a
>chance if it gets praise by the some so called experts.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing. A good critic can point you in a good direction.

I
>have friends that can't understand why I like all of that
>"Subtitled arty shit"

"Hey man, if I wanted to read I'd just pick up a book. If I'm going to watch a movie I want to just watch the damn thing."
If I had a nickel for every time. . .

and then I have friends who I suppose
>could be considered film snobs who cant understand how I
>could possibly like a movie like Forrest Gump

I know I probably shouldn't talk about this Gump thing after you caught me making that Raging Bull post way over in General, but didn't you ask yourself "What the hell is this?" when Forest started running near the end of the picture. Just back and forth across the country until he was a cult leader.

Also, that film was one of the first I can remember to have a character just sort of accidently fall into the "right place at the right time" over and over again, finding good fortune that way (or in this case finding himself in several historic settings).

Amelie is a more recent example of this phenomenon, as is another Audrey Tautou movie called "Happenstance". I'm not really a fan of this kind of thing.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38819 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 12:43 PM

13. "RE: all this sh!t is SO true"
In response to Reply # 12

>But that's not necessarily a bad thing. A good critic can
>point you in a good direction.

This is very true which is why I'm trying to see just about everything from just about every acclaimed director from the past. Trouble comes when people feel that they are "supposed" to like something

I
>>have friends that can't understand why I like all of that
>>"Subtitled arty shit"
>
>"Hey man, if I wanted to read I'd just pick up a book. If
>I'm going to watch a movie I want to just watch the damn
>thing."
>If I had a nickel for every time. . .

lol yeah, thing is the majority of my friends don't share the same interest as me in regards to film and music yet they're actually better friends than the ones who do

>I know I probably shouldn't talk about this Gump thing after
>you caught me making that Raging Bull post way over in
>General, but didn't you ask yourself "What the hell is
>this?" when Forest started running near the end of the
>picture. Just back and forth across the country until he
>was a cult leader.

>Also, that film was one of the first I can remember to have
>a character just sort of accidently fall into the "right
>place at the right time" over and over again, finding good
>fortune that way (or in this case finding himself in several
>historic settings).

LOL to clarify something I dont think Forrest Gump is a great movie and anything to be taken seriously. It's basically corny as hell but it's just a movie that I find fun, don't really know how else to explain it

>Amelie is a more recent example of this phenomenon, as is
>another Audrey Tautou movie called "Happenstance". I'm not
>really a fan of this kind of thing.

Now Amelie I really like. It's pretty much my "feel good" movie. Aside from the story, I love the colors and the camera work. It's also a great flick to put on for the ladies when they come over

King_Friday
Member since Nov 22nd 2002
3087 posts
Mon Mar-17-03 01:15 PM

14. "RE: all this sh!t is SO true"
In response to Reply # 13

>This is very true which is why I'm trying to see just about
>everything from just about every acclaimed director from the
>past.

Me too. It's mighty hard work. Just remember not to forget Charlie Chaplin. His film "The Great Dictator" is excellent. Please see my sig for a giant quote from this movie.

(This recommendation brought to you by the King Friday Memorial Commitee for Charlie Chaplin and Fred Rodgers).

Trouble comes when people feel that they are
>"supposed" to like something

Like Raging Bull you mean? Ahem. . . cough. . cough. . .

just kidding, just kidding.

>LOL to clarify something I dont think Forrest Gump is a
>great movie and anything to be taken seriously. It's
>basically corny as hell but it's just a movie that I find
>fun, don't really know how else to explain it

I understand. Hey I mean I love Ingmar Bergman, but I've seen plenty of Friday the 13th movies in my time too! I even saw "Tron" once. All the way through.

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 07:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Forrest Gump vs Pulp Fiction"
In response to Reply # 13

i read some article somewhere about how misunderstood FG was among the film snob community and how in a way it's much closer to the Film Snob Favorite of 1994, FP.

i wish i could find it.

it might help if i looked for it.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 12:28 AM

16. "RE: The Film Snob's Dictionary"
In response to Reply # 0

man that ish is too true.
My Dad used to subscribe to les Cahiers (we live in France), and it is sooo funny how they will justify liking a movie or not. I mean in their 100 best dvds they had like Jawbreaker and Can't Hardly Wait...
The Office Space ref is cool, although I never thought this was a movie liked among movie snobs (at least not those who revere Criterion editions and know who Pavel Longuine is), I thought it was more of a cult movie among 20 and 30somethings that have spent some time in the corporate world. Yeah it's not lol funny where it could appeal to anyone, but if you have that corporate experience and a sorta nuanced look at life, this movie is the Truth !

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 03:18 AM

17. "i have to admit, i read Cahiers"
In response to Reply # 16

AND Positif.

not that i've seen or heard of 70% of the films they talk about, of course...

funk_baby
Charter member
648 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 06:59 AM

18. "whos on the cover of this issue?"
In response to Reply # 0

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 08:27 AM

21. "um... a bunch of folks"
In response to Reply # 18
Tue Mar-18-03 08:28 AM

Jack, Brad, the two Toms, Harrison... fold out to reveal Samuel L., Cheadle, Hugh Grant, Ed Norton, some other guys...

afropuff
Charter member
7580 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 08:39 AM

23. "Ben Affleck?"
In response to Reply # 21

what i noticed was the snub of Ben Affleck from those pics... i mean, they got Matt Damon, where's Ben? Daredevil? J-Lo? Hello?!

lol....

funk_baby
Charter member
648 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 09:07 AM

25. "RE: um... a bunch of folks"
In response to Reply # 21

cool, ill see if i can find it.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 09:15 AM

26. "if you can't find it"
In response to Reply # 25

let me know

btw, what's the current issue of Untold? and did the magazine disappear from the stands for a few months over there, too?

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 07:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "my best friend"
In response to Reply # 0

is getting his phd in film analysis.

he says "fuck you all".

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 08:28 AM

22. "does he go ga-ga over Godard's 'Contempt'?"
In response to Reply # 20
Tue Mar-18-03 08:29 AM

if so, fuck HIM.

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Tue Mar-18-03 01:07 PM

28. "Well, fuck me too"
In response to Reply # 22

cuz i love Contempt

"Cats are still using the same five curse words. If you take out 'shit,' 'bitch,' 'nigga,' murder,' and 'killa,' (the)mother-fuckin' record would sound like an instrumental!"
-MF Doom

"The payoff is much sweeter than the payback"
-Dave

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 03:24 AM

31. "shoot..."
In response to Reply # 28

"Le Mepris" shoulda been called "Le Merde," if you ask me...

benny
8435 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 03:40 AM

32. "RE: shoot..."
In response to Reply # 31

it's La Merde n/m

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 04:00 AM

34. "merci"
In response to Reply # 32

ma francais est tout charmant, mais jamais correct!

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 09:30 AM

37. "i have no idea what you're talking about."
In response to Reply # 22

lol

but i bet he does. hell, he's probably writing a paper or teaching a seminar about it.

benny
8435 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 03:53 AM

33. "By the Way"
In response to Reply # 0

when the hell is there goin to be an Office Space Special Edition ? This shit is waaaaaaaaay overdue (now that I've got the Swingers SE n/m)

lr_cuba
Member since Jul 08th 2002
616 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 06:43 AM

35. "armageddon was..."
In response to Reply # 33

dope! and the criterion edition is fucking great. it give awesome insight into the movie. the "what is true and what is not" of it.

also, brad pitt is a movie stealing machine. i can't believe no one has mentioned him.

fín.

------

___________________ <-- place your favorite catchy rap lyric here

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Mar-19-03 06:26 PM

38. "its Tarkovsky! not tarkowsky!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

infidel!!!!!!

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Mar-20-03 03:15 AM

39. "and the No-Prize goes to..."
In response to Reply # 38

i was waiting for somebody to point that typo out!

i noticed it after i had already left the one-hour editing window. but at least you've proven you have snob cred.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #10077 Previous topic | Next topic