Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #9769

Subject: "pregnancy, childbirth, babies" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 09:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"pregnancy, childbirth, babies"

hey, i didn't think to ask, but now i suspect i should- anyone have any questions or anything they'd like to discuss on this topic?

there are plenty of things ya don't learn in your childbirth education classes that will help you greatly-

anyone curious about natural childbirth things? nursing? any of that kinda stuff? anyone welling over with some advice to share?

anyone knocked up? how far? how's it going? got children? how old? how's it going?

yall probably know i have a 2 month old who is curious, active, and cute as hell cuz i talk too damned much.

==**peace**==

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

DomePoem Poets; redefining the third dimension of spoken word

"Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere"
- Amiri Baraka

http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines

BUY MY BOOK- only $6! Inbox me for details

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
laboring naturally
Dec 28th 2001
hey, when did your water break?
Dec 28th 2001
      right before i delivered
Dec 28th 2001
           me too...
Dec 28th 2001
i had c section...
Dec 28th 2001
RE: pregnancy, childbirth, babies
Dec 28th 2001
abortion is so old
Dec 30th 2001
      Agreed.
Dec 30th 2001
      This rings true to me from my 2nd hand experiences (I'm male)...
Jan 09th 2002
31 weeks..
Dec 28th 2001
RE: 31 weeks..
Dec 28th 2001
RE: 31 weeks..
Dec 29th 2001
also
Dec 29th 2001
      realistic tips...
Dec 30th 2001
           Diapers
Dec 30th 2001
           !
Dec 31st 2001
Here's a little advice.....
Dec 31st 2001
alright.....
Jan 02nd 2002
      copy
Jan 02nd 2002
      evenflo
Jan 04th 2002
           i just bought
Jan 04th 2002
                that's cool! yeah...
Jan 04th 2002
                     did you use
Jan 07th 2002
                          man,
Jan 07th 2002
msiverson
Jan 02nd 2002
right there with you
Jan 02nd 2002
i'm convinced size 1
Jan 02nd 2002
      it's amazing
Jan 02nd 2002
"bestfeeding"
Jan 04th 2002
is it true that
Jan 04th 2002
      i lost most of my weight
Jan 04th 2002
babbling babies
Jan 07th 2002
Ha!
Jan 07th 2002
i'm so excited for all that
Jan 07th 2002
      RE: i'm so excited for all that
Jan 07th 2002
           -i can imagine-
Jan 07th 2002
whispering/screaming...
Jan 07th 2002
      RE: whispering/screaming...
Jan 07th 2002
i'm a doula
Jan 07th 2002
i've been wondering-
Jan 07th 2002
      i get asked this a million times a day!
Jan 08th 2002
           i tell you what
Jan 09th 2002
heptu
Jan 09th 2002
the sick months
Jan 09th 2002
      RE: the sick months
Jan 09th 2002
      RE: the sick months
heptu
Jan 09th 2002

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 09:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "laboring naturally"
In response to Reply # 0

1. do not use up your muscles to brace yourself
2. do not break concentration long enuf to scream
3. use the time between contractions
4. every pain that comes goes. concentrate on the end of it
5. breathe breathe breathe. vary your breathing patterns, breathe deep
6. make eyecontact with and breathe with your coach
7. be completely comfortable with your coach, and make sure you choose a good coach
8. no pain no gain. everything hurts. so HURRY UP AND DO IT ALREADY!
9. chew ungodly amounts of ice

==**peace**==

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

- Amiri Baraka

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 09:59 AM

2. "hey, when did your water break?"
In response to Reply # 1

i followed all those techniques, except i took a bath instead of chewing ice... but when i look back on how manageable the pain was, i remember that my water was broken right before i delivered and the childbirth class instuctor said labor can be more painful when the water breaks early... just thinking...

______

"Money isn't real." - BLOW
______

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 10:07 AM

3. "right before i delivered"
In response to Reply # 2

and after 3 weeks of early labor, i only had to push for 10 minutes, which is good cuz i injured the hell outta my arms grabbing the bed through the night

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 10:14 AM

4. "me too..."
In response to Reply # 3

not early labor, but i got to the hospital around 12am, was 9.5cm and by the time they undressed me hooked me up to everything, broke the bed - i started pushing and about 10 mins later i had her... at 1:20am. (november 16 a year ago... do you have a scorpio baby?)

______

______

LordLadypharr
Charter member
3467 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 02:23 PM

5. "i had c section..."
In response to Reply # 0

so i missed out on the whole labor process...
my diva is four months and into everything...

"Me fail english?That's unpossible"-Ralph Wiggum

"REAL thugs wear corduroy"-Aphroteck

01001101-01011001-00100000-01001110-01000001-01001101-01000101-00100000-01001001-01010011-00100000-01001100-01001001-01001100-01001100-01001001-01000001-01001110-00100000-00001101-00001010-01000001-01001110-0100010

Max
Charter member
4801 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 03:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: pregnancy, childbirth, babies"
In response to Reply # 0

Nope. Had an abortion a lifetime ago. Still working on what it means. I'm not in any way religious so don't feel criminal or anything like that. Just wondering if motherhood is in the cards.

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Sun Dec-30-01 08:06 AM

12. "abortion is so old"
In response to Reply # 6

women have been doing it (or attempting too) since humans learned how babies were made. And the world kept turning.

Motherhood, if you want it, can be in the cards for you as long as there are no damaging physical effects from your previous choices. And ironically, you may be a better mother for it all.

C'mon how you gonna diss the ?uestion like that, of course he wasn't a Fat Boy. Now previous to Roots life, Quest did appear on television. He played Shirley on "What's Happenin?" - fxsnyc 6/19/01

Max
Charter member
4801 posts
Sun Dec-30-01 08:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 12

I don't have any guilt feelings about it. You are right in that I had untold millions of predecessors so I understand it as a part of life.

I just wonder if I'll ever be prepared or have the desire to sacrifice so much of myself.

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Wed Jan-09-02 04:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
44. "This rings true to me from my 2nd hand experiences (I'm male)..."
In response to Reply # 12

>Motherhood, if you want it, can
>be in the cards for
>you as long as there
>are no damaging physical effects
>from your previous choices.
>And ironically, you may be
>a better mother for it
>all.

Especially the last comment. I've seen young women terminate unwanted pregnancies and then several years later have kids. The difference being that the women were more prepared for the reality of children in that they wanted the kids and had the means to provide completely for the little ones (emotionally, physically, financially, spiritually, etc).

♀¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤♀

don't be fkn evil.

paperdollpoet
Charter member
2238 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 03:44 PM

7. "31 weeks.."
In response to Reply # 0

and counting...

i feel overwhelmed with questions but at a lost for words when it comes to form them...

every time i go to the baby super stores i walk out empty handed because i get a headache when i begin to realize that there is sooo much i need and i don't even know where to start.

which leads me to my first question...

what does a baby really need for the first 2 months of his/her lives?

do i really need a bassinet?
is a electric breast pump god's greatest gift?
how many pampers should i invest in ahead of time?
changing table or use the bed?

i feel so disorganized.

why do i feel so much pressure on my pelvic bone?

keep the motion
paperdollpoet
----

march 11

www.sheflypaper.com

Prcless
Charter member
20 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 04:10 PM

8. "RE: 31 weeks.."
In response to Reply # 7

I will attempt to answer some of your questions, I have a seven year old.

I never used a bassinet...my son sleep w/ me for the first two months or so and then I put him in the his crib.

I didn't breastfeed, but I would suggest tryin' the pump b/c if you baby eats as much as my son did you'll definitely be tired of flashin' your breast to feed him/her.

Have as many pampers as possible b/c they're gone before you know it.

I didn't use a changing table...the bed worked fine.

You should definitely feel overwhelmed and disorganized...no matter how much advice you receive you never know what to expect when the baby arrives.

Pelvic pressure...I had labor in my back...meaning no stomach pain b/c my son was siting towards my back.

I hope I helped a little.

Salaam
Prcless

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Sat Dec-29-01 04:55 AM

9. "RE: 31 weeks.."
In response to Reply # 7

>and counting...
>

congrats!

>every time i go to the
>baby super stores i walk
>out empty handed because i
>get a headache when i
>begin to realize that there
>is sooo much i need
>and i don't even know
>where to start.

true. i signed up at babycenter.com... they send you an email every week to update you as to what's going on inside your body, what to "think about" (also had a book that was day by day info as well as a journal) and they just have great general to specific info. stores overwhelmed me as well, i ended up ordering most everything online.

>which leads me to my first
>question...
>
>what does a baby really need
>for the first 2 months
>of his/her lives?

just a lot of milk, a lot of diapers/wipes, a lot of onesies, and a lot of blankets. and last but really first, a lot of love and attention. babies are messy. they will poop all over everything. onesies will mostly catch the poop, but it's good to have at least one outfit and nightgown/sleeper for each day of the week. blankets get drooled up... you need one in each room, not just for cold but for wherever you want to lay the baby, for comfort (and in case the poop does stray or to catch breastmilk/formula). you have to have a carseat if you are delivering in the hospital, they will not let you take the baby home without one. also, think about how you want to carry the baby when you are out... because i'm in an urban area i used a sling, then a front carrier, then a stroller...

>
>do i really need a bassinet?

i bought a cradle but rarely used it. my daughter always slept with me at night... it was easier for both of us. i breastfeed, needed to be close to her... she would wake up, feed and go right back to sleep. i did not want to make nighttime feedings a big production. i never bought a crib, i'm looking at toddler beds now...

>
>is a electric breast pump god's
>greatest gift?

honestly, i did not get one for 3 reasons,
-they are expensive
-i was too "lazy" to go to the hospital and rent one
-i was annoyed by the sound of the sample ones i heard, and did not want to take that to work... (all punk moves on my part)

the hospital gave me a manual breast pump for free... i used it for six months. the more often you pump, the more ample your milk supply will be. it's all about how much you have time. actually, if you have the money to invest in a medela double pump, you may want to because the money you save breastfeeding... buying formula hits the pockets hard.

aside - i would highly recommend breastfeeding, even for as little as 2 months. there are so many PROVEN benefits of breastfeeding... i'll post that separately.

>how many pampers should i invest
>in ahead of time?
>changing table or use the bed?

On average, you'll need 7-9 diapers a day. diapers now are so absorbent, you can barely tell when your baby wet once/twice... breastfed babies poop more because they eat more frequently (but the poop does not smell as bad as formula...). i used a changing table because it seemed cleaner, never knew where the poop/pee was going to go... and also for storage.

>
>i feel so disorganized.

you'll be fine. that's how you are supposed to feel... that means you "care" and you are becoming a mother. once the baby comes, she/he will get you into a routine, things will fall into place.

>
>why do i feel so much
>pressure on my pelvic bone?
>

i would say it has something to do with your body structure and the baby's size, or your baby's head has moved to some position that causes pressure... but ask your doctor, really. or...
http://www.babycenter.com/mybabycenter/131.html

also, if you have not or have not signed up, i highly recommend taking a childbirth class. you can never know/learn too much...

______

______

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Sat Dec-29-01 12:49 PM

10. "also"
In response to Reply # 9

if it's just going to be the baby and you, all or most of the time, you might think about getting a bouncy seat like for when you take a bath... so you can put the baby in the bathroom with you. i was promised a bouncy seat but never got it, so i had to use the carseat. those seats are also supposed to stimulate the baby, and it's good for the baby to sit/nap upright every now and again...

______

______

paperdollpoet
Charter member
2238 posts
Sun Dec-30-01 07:37 AM

11. "realistic tips..."
In response to Reply # 10

THANK YOU!

i guess with this being me and my husband's first child...i just want to give her EVEREYTHING! all the things that i didn't have..all the things that i see on tv...only problem is i don't have the "everything" money. but i am slowly coming around to truly understand that "everything" isn't the answer for parenting. and as a baby she won't care if she sleeps in a $300 crib or is she sleeps in her parents bed..just as long as she sleeps.

i'm getting there...

but i truly appreciate all words of advice...

truly.

btw.. babycenter.com has been my jawn since preconception ..thank goodness for it.

keep the motion
paperdollpoet
----

march 11

www.sheflypaper.com

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Sun Dec-30-01 03:49 PM

14. "Diapers"
In response to Reply # 11

my mother always used cloth diapies and washed them out.
read: "Welcoming Spirit Home" by Sobonfu Some'

i know many women who wrap their babies on their backs with cloth and after a while they know exactly when the baby needs to go, they then sit them between their legs on the toilet resulting in early potty training.

very many congratulations on the blessed ocassion.
touch your belly and send greetings to the little one from us.

Shemhotep
"There is something dreadfully wrong
with an education/socialization process
that leaves us ignorant of our past,
strangers to our people, apes of our
oppressors, and creatures of habitual,
shallow thought, and trivial values."
-Dr. Asa G. Hilliard,III

"general group behavior patterns matter
more than individual exceptions. and
past group behavior is indicative of
future group behavior." - yuckwheat

"Everyone has their myths which is
fine. However when one parades "myth"
as "fact" especially concerning ANOTHER
group of people independent of the said
myth-making group then we have a
problem. The myth now becomes a LIE." -
Solarus

Kemetian
--------------------------------------
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

"Pour libation for your father
and mother who rest in the
valley of the dead. God will
witness your action and
accept it. Do not forget to
do this

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Mon Dec-31-01 03:35 AM

15. "!"
In response to Reply # 11

>btw.. babycenter.com has been my jawn
>since preconception ..thank goodness for
>it.
>

i did not mean to mention it in a manner like, "whatchu dunno?" but if others were reading... the babies make me all gitty, i overstate the obvious... happy delivery!

______

______

d-nice78
Charter member
209 posts
Mon Dec-31-01 04:02 AM

16. "Here's a little advice....."
In response to Reply # 7

I have a five month old and this is what worked for me:

Don't get a bassinet; my little boy grew so fast it was incredible. I wanted a bassinet at first, but they are so small, you probably won't use it for long. Getting a playard with a bassinet attachment works wonderfully.

I didn't stock up on many pampers early, just try to shop at discount clubs for them, you can get like 230 for $28. That should last for like a month and change.

To bring the baby home just make sure that you have plenty of t-shirts(onesies and side snaps for until the cord falls off), tons of blankets(this is what I used the most of all), socks and tons of sleepers. After that, just buy what you need when you need it. If you have a baby shower it's even better, cause usually you get most of the things you need to start off with there. I was fortunate to have two showers, so I didn't have to purchase anything for my son until he was three months. But I STILL was in Babies R Us every damn da ! Gifts are nice, but nothing beats shopping for your little one.

Hope this helped some.

Good Luck and Congrats!

That Girl
d-nice78

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jan-02-02 04:08 AM

17. "alright....."
In response to Reply # 7

first, the "what you need" list

things you need for a newborn

1- one birthing class, one book about childcare with more pictures than text

2- babyshowers are lifesavers- get as involved in the planning of it as you can- if you don't already have one in the making, lemme know, because i'm dying to commune with other mothers and mothers-to-be

3- at least 9 onesies- there will be times when you'll want to cut them off instead of pulling them over your baby's head

4- one package of newborn pampers (has a notch for the umbilical cord) and one package of size one storebrand diapers, one package of wipes with no perfume or alcohol (newborns are sensitive to fragrances, and you'll start out using cloths before wipes)

we are in love with those disposable peewee changing pads- they're waterproof, so if she pees while we're changing her, we can just pick it up and throw it away and the mess is all gone

5- uhhhhhhmmmmm if you can- a diaper genie- otherwise a trashcan with a lid

6- a temporary or full sized crib or someplace to sleep the baby when you and your husband want the bed to yourselves

7- a monitor, depending on your housing situation

8- an evenflo bottle starter set (compatible with pumps, if you use one), a big pot for boiling/ sanitizing bottles, starter nipples (if they don't already have holes, make them- there is nothing worse than trying to feed a hysterically hungry baby with a closed nipple in the middle of the night

9- if you plan to be away or want to share feedings with your husband, and you're breastfeeding, get an electric breastpump. i'm working full time, and i couldn't imagine not having it- if you'll be at home, wait on this. some women never pump. nursing bras if you're breastfeeding (cheaper and the milk comes in anyway- may as well use it)
lansinoh disposable nursing pads and lanolin (for leakage and nipple soreness), softshells to keep nipples from scraping up against bras when they're sore

ABOUT THE LACTATION CONSULTANT::::: 5 minutes with a woman who has breastfed before will save you the $150 and the stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- have some formula on hand, either way- either a a supplement or a regular food. we got a ton of formula for free at the prenatal classes

10- one long sleeved button up the legs otfit for each day of the week or more, depending on how often you want to do laundry (two weeks is preferable). one snowsuit for going out in this weather. 1-2 pairs of socks. one "layette gown" (open at the bottom for quick pull up and diaper change- some babies take to these better than others, depending on their activity level- ours didn't take to them at all because she's so active
what size? start with 0-3 months. ours is about to grow out of these clothes at about 2 months old, but she is also very tall

baby detergent- don't believe the hype- i was using it and soon discovered my husband wasn't- and we couldn't tell the difference

11- one pacifier- don't buy more till you know if your baby likes them

12- 2 bibs for bottle feedings

13- bath-tub, baby wash/shampoo, nail cutters, nose-cleaning bulb, thermometer

14- a good mobile and a play gym- both can be lifesavers. they say that once babies get used to swinging they can't sleep otherwise, so we stayed away from that-

15- 2 or 3 books or when you start to feel guilty for not reading to your baby

16- if you're in the money, buy one of those rocking chairs. if you're not, sit in them wenever you go shopping to relieve your legs and stresses

2nd, the pressure on the pelvic bone:
in the last month or two of your pregnancy the baby starts to descend further into your pelvis, creating some discomfort. for the last month of my pregnancy i felt lik my pelvis would break.

i was upset, toward the end of my pregnancy, that tehre were no references on early labor. i had regular contractions for about 3 weeks before i was induced. i wish i would have known that was possible, so i could have relaxed about it instead of feeling like i was about to give birth at any moment- prelabor can be a bitch, but, in my case, after all that i had a very short active labor and only pushed for 10 minutes-

there ya go, summa my newfound wisdom.....

oh yeh- and make sure you're maximizing your cuddle time with your husband now- it helps INFINATELY

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

paperdollpoet
Charter member
2238 posts
Wed Jan-02-02 07:47 AM

18. "copy"
In response to Reply # 17

paste

save

and saved.

i appreciate it.

keep the motion
paperdollpoet
----

march 11

www.sheflypaper.com

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Fri Jan-04-02 08:10 AM

23. "evenflo"
In response to Reply # 17

seems to be my favored "big name" baby brand...
good stuff:

http://www.estyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=7850&SIND=1&frm=1&cmCL=non-disposablebottles&cmPG=gear&cmDM=36

http://www.estyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=7900&SIND=1&frm=1&cmCL=infantcarseats&cmPG=gear&cmDM=36

http://www.estyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=7887&SIND=1&frm=1&cmCL=slingssoftcarriers&cmPG=gear&cmDM=36
(after:
http://www.estyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=5410&SIND=1&frm=1&cmCL=slingssoftcarriers&cmPG=gear&cmDM=36)

also an infant tub that i think has been discontinued/redesigned...

consider:

http://www.estyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=4309&SIND=1&frm=1&cmCL=cribscradlesbassinets&cmPG=gear&cmDM=4

i have http://www.estyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=1970&SIND=1&frm=1&cmCL=cribscradlesbassinets&cmPG=gear&cmDM=4
if anyone is interested in buying it from me...

if you are going to get a $300+ crib, consider one that has a dresser attached and/or converts to a toddler bed...

______

______

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Fri Jan-04-02 09:11 AM

25. "i just bought"
In response to Reply # 23

a very cheap sling from the conceptionstore.com

also some very cheap medela nursing bras (relatively speaking)

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Fri Jan-04-02 09:22 AM

27. "that's cool! yeah..."
In response to Reply # 25

"i never pay full price!"
always with a coupon or "deal" or discount...

*aside* breastmilk bags were one of the things i wasted money on, pointless leaking things... i got the medela bottle set to go with my pump for storage, but could not use those nipples...

______

______

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 08:23 AM

29. "did you use"
In response to Reply # 27

the medela bgs? cuz man oh man do i have a supply of those- but i hven't used them at all yet-

my biggest waste of money was playtex bottles

where do you find coupons and discounts? i'm always searching......

i love the medela bottles- great size and shape. i'm using my cousin's old nipples, tho- already poked and worn in............

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 10:56 AM

39. "man,"
In response to Reply # 29

>the medela bgs? cuz man oh
>man do i have a
>supply of those- but i
>hven't used them at all
>yet-

i only bought one package, i just could not use them... with the twisty tie and all... not so neat, or air tight.

>
>my biggest waste of money was
>playtex bottles

i just bought one starter, those nipples are not good... i used the gerber nipples as first, then the evenflo ones that came with the bottles, now i use the gerber traditions (™) nipples and bottles + spill proof cups. i think playtex is my least favorite, i don't buy any...

>
>where do you find coupons and
>discounts? i'm always searching.
like on http://www.flamingoworld.com/kids.php or http://styleforfree.com/kids.htm#BabyBazaar

i get a lot of discounts from estyle/babystyle.com...
you like - http://www.estyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=2305&SIND=1&frm=1&cmCL=towelswashcloths&cmPG=header&cmDM=36

______

______

msiverson

Wed Jan-02-02 08:28 AM

19. "RE: pregnancy, childbirth, babies"
In response to Reply # 0

I had a natural childbirth. My daughter is the most precious thing in this world to me. She is now 3 months old and is so alert. She tries to talk to me and she smiles a big smile when she sees me. I also breastfeed her and the girl is gettin' big. She jumped from a newborn diaper to a 2 in 1 month. I also named her amya (pronounce Ah-my-yah).

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jan-02-02 09:24 AM

20. "right there with you"
In response to Reply # 19

my 10 week old will be in size 2 diapers in a few hours (we're on our last 2 size ones)-

all i wanna do is coo with her

i can't help it. when she smiles i turn all noodly. i could talk with her all day.

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Wed Jan-02-02 09:40 AM

21. "i'm convinced size 1"
In response to Reply # 19

and newborn are the same...

i buy size 5 for my daughter (13 months) though she is not even 20 pounds because i'm not about the "perfect fit." she needs some back coverage... i remember those times in the first 3 months when there would be no poop in the diaper, it would be all up her back... the force is strong with them.

she was 7.7 at birth, jumped to 9 after the first week and a half, and has steadily gained about a pound to a pound and a half each month...

it is amazing how they look at you, study your face...

______

______

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jan-02-02 10:19 AM

22. "it's amazing"
In response to Reply # 21

when they first start to watch you move around the room

yeh those pound guides on diapers are *useless*- and sometimes, no matter what- the poops gonna come outside the diaper, especially when they've been constipated-

those are the "honey get in hre quick!!! ya gotta see this diaper!!!" times

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Fri Jan-04-02 09:08 AM

24. ""bestfeeding""
In response to Reply # 0

of course we know:

Why breast is best
Breast milk is the best food for your baby. Just ask pediatricians and other medical professionals, all of whom will say the healthiest way to feed an infant is to nurse her. The health benefits are so great, in fact, that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least the first year of a baby's life (exclusively for the first six months), and longer if both you and your child are willing. For details on the health benefits of breastfeeding, click here.

Breast milk is a complete food source; it contains all the nutrients your baby needs — at least 400 of them — including hormones and disease-fighting compounds absent in formula. Remarkably, its nutritional makeup even adjusts to your baby's needs as she grows and develops. And apart from the brain-building, infection-fighting benefits of mother's milk, which no formula can duplicate, nursing helps build a special bond between you and your baby. When you nurse, your child thrives on the skin-to-skin contact, the cuddling, and the holding. You will, too.

but also:

- it's cheap

- less stress / Breastfeeding itself is a calming act.  Sitting or lying down several times a day while you are snuggling a secure, comfortable baby is sure to make even a hyperactive person slow down. During the breastfeeding process your brain will manufacture chemicals that will calm you, give you a feeling of well-being and promote maternal behavior.  Your baby's sucking stimulates nerve endings in the areolae, which send messages to your hypothalamus and pituitary gland (in your brain), causing them to start releasing oxytocin and prolactin, breastfeeding hormones that will begin to calm and relax you. 

- weight loss / Breastfeeding burns calories.  Over 600 calories a day for breastfeeding women who don't supplement with formula.  600 calories!  That's like getting two hours of aerobic exercise each day.  A study published in the Journal of American Dietician Association shows breastfeeding melting off inches around your hips and buttocks.

- decreases infant risk of ear infections, diarrhea, rsv and other respiratory infections, sids, eczema; even into childhood...

- improves/enhances child's iq, cognitive development...

- decreases mother's risk of female cancers

http://www.breastfeeding.com/
http://www.babycenter.com/baby/babybreastfeed/index/
http://www.lalecheleague.org/bfinfo.html

______

______

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Fri Jan-04-02 09:13 AM

26. "is it true that"
In response to Reply # 24

breastfeeding mothers tend to have a surge in weight loss around 4-6 months?

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Fri Jan-04-02 09:26 AM

28. "i lost most of my weight"
In response to Reply # 26

by 5 months, so maybe...
i wear the same size i did before pregnancy, but i weigh more... visually, i can't figure out where the weight is...

______

______

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 08:25 AM

30. "babbling babies"
In response to Reply # 0

do your kids talk to their toys?

i have one very talkative kid.... she talks to her mobile, her gym, her seat, stuffed animals, people, anything or anyone that may listen...........

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

knumskul
Charter member
1038 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 08:40 AM

31. "Ha!"
In response to Reply # 30

That was my boy! He now has a very vivid imagination - will pretend his shoe strings are action figures and what not. Just wait until she turns 2 and begins to babble you silly...OH! and then 6! The age of never ending questions ("why is the sky blue...but then sometimes it's pink...and then sometimes it's..." OR the "But how come?" questions to every answer you give her. This is the never ending question. Every response you supply will be followed by a "But how come?" Try not to go batty w/ this one )

ANd congrats! When are you posting pics? or have I missed them already?

y'all *really* think" that you're tricking somebody into something don't you? what you don't realize is that most women decide within the first 5 minutes of meeting a dude whether or not they'll sleep with him. all your "game" is merely entertainment. - H

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 09:04 AM

32. "i'm so excited for all that"
In response to Reply # 31

at the request of my husband absolutely no pictures will be shared over the internet

she's a cutie, tho! maybe you'll see her on an ad one day--

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

knumskul
Charter member
1038 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 09:10 AM

33. "RE: i'm so excited for all that"
In response to Reply # 32

>at the request of my husband absolutely no pictures will be >shared over the internet

Gotcha

It's so great being a mom. It's a helluva lot of work but totally worth it. WHen my son was 3 he hugged me for drawing him a Peter Pan-style "treasure map" and said "You're the best mom I ever had!" I felt soo warm and fuzzy inside.

y'all *really* think" that you're tricking somebody into something don't you? what you don't realize is that most women decide within the first 5 minutes of meeting a dude whether or not they'll sleep with him. all your "game" is merely entertainment. - H

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 09:30 AM

36. "-i can imagine-"
In response to Reply # 33

they just have such a hold over you!!

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

somoney
Charter member
2247 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 09:55 AM

37. "whispering/screaming..."
In response to Reply # 30

my daughter whispers to toys, and to me when she is trying to be "cute" - like, "ashaashaaa asha..."
and puts here ear to ojbects like she can hear something...

or she just screams, glass-breaking-screams, for fun, she puts her hands over her face after...

______

______

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 10:02 AM

38. "RE: whispering/screaming..."
In response to Reply # 37

my daughter will intensely scan a face for a second and then give a huge smile and say what sounds like "hiiiii"

she likes to gurgle and pur and sometimes she moves her head down to her shoulders as she smiles (looks like she's being sneaky)

when she is lonely and wants attention she yells "hey! he-ey!! HEY!" louder and louder till someone responds (which i try not to)

she smiles at our backs to get us to turn around

sometimes she'll whisper-when she's in a less outgoing mood

and when she's completely carried away with delight she'll scream sometimes, but not very often

she *loves* talking on the phone

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

SampolinMoAko
Charter member
5728 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 09:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
34. "i'm a doula"
In response to Reply # 0

just thought i'd throw that in there

hi everybody

¤§¤OKP Jazzy Broads¤§¤

recognize i'm a fool and ya LUUUUV me! (c) Old Dirty Bastard

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Jan-07-02 09:29 AM

35. "i've been wondering-"
In response to Reply # 34

what exactly does a doula do?

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

SampolinMoAko
Charter member
5728 posts
Tue Jan-08-02 02:54 PM

40. "i get asked this a million times a day!"
In response to Reply # 35

:-)

a doula is a support person for a mother... birth doulas help during the labor process. there are also post-partum doula (which i am not)

the doula does nothing clinical, but is knowledgeable in the whole pregnancy, labor and birth processes, as well as pain management. she serves as an assistant to the mother and her parnter, and an advocate for her.

doulas have been shown to reduce the rates of cesarians, episiotomies and pain medication use as well as increase the mother's overall satisfaction with the birth.

for more info:
www.dona.org

¤§¤OKP Jazzy Broads¤§¤

recognize i'm a fool and ya LUUUUV me! (c) Old Dirty Bastard

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jan-09-02 03:41 AM

41. "i tell you what"
In response to Reply # 40

i wished and wished and wished i had a doula for the last month of my pregnancy when i had regular contractions for the last 3 weeks and could find no resources or people in similar situations-

maybe i'll get one for the next pregnancy- or maybe the first pregnancy will be experience enuf.......

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

heptu

Wed Jan-09-02 04:23 AM

42. "RE: pregnancy, childbirth, babies"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm three months pregnant. Tired, can't sleep, and with the worst case of gas you can imagine. No matter what I eat, it turns into air! I'm really excited about having this child but I can't wait to get past this 1st trimester,it's killing me!! Any suggestions. Did I mention the morning/afternoon/night sickness?

"If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more." -Harriet Tubman

"Until you're sure of yourself, you won't be sure of anything" - Gordon Parks

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jan-09-02 04:35 AM

43. "the sick months"
In response to Reply # 42

what they say in all the books is to keep crackers bedside and snack before ya get up. i suggest a lot of snacks of crackers and fruit and a lotta time taking it easy. don't overdo anything. don't move too fast. relax.

for some women the sickness ends at the end of the first trimester or never comes at all. for some it lasts longer. for me it dissappeared the day the first trimester ended.

i used to throw up every time i tasted toothpaste...

the thing is, in just about 6 months time you'll have a new baby in your life. and you'll be able to tease it for the rest of its life about your morning sickness.

also the second trimester is the best. it's when you're glowing and growing and you have your energy back. it's when you love being pregnant and dress to accentuate yur bump.

as for the gas- i don't know what to suggest beyond a sense of humor. you'll see you get very intimate with your bodily functions.

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

lionesslocks10
Charter member
191 posts
Wed Jan-09-02 05:07 AM

45. "RE: the sick months"
In response to Reply # 43

I just wanted to say that it's beautiful to hear sisters talking openly about the pregnancy, birthing and "me and my baby" stages.

I also wanted to suggest yoga for women who are currently pregnant. I'm not an instructor or anything but I know that there are tons of asanas that women should do through out their pregnancy to open up the hip/pelvic region which is supposed to make birthing easier. There are definitely asanas that can help reduce gas pains and cramps. Yoga is also wonderful because you become more in tune with the breath and you own bodies reponse to stress and pain. I would bet any amount of money that it's also good for once you've just had your baby. I'm sure there are lots of books on prenatal yoga and you can also yogajournal.com for more information.

Peace

heptu

Wed Jan-09-02 06:02 AM

46. "RE: the sick months"
In response to Reply # 43

Each night I write a letter to my baby in a pregnancy journal. I talk to him about how i feel both physically and emotionally. I plan on giving this to my child as soon as he's old enough to understand, so I always try to keep the entries as positive as possible. This helps improve my attitude about these early experiences. I figure no child wants to read about how miserable his/her mother was while pregnant.

"If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more." -Harriet Tubman

"Until you're sure of yourself, you won't be sure of anything" - Gordon Parks

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #9769 Previous topic | Next topic