Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #7823

Subject: "Music, Television, and Your Children" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Invisible-Genius
Charter member
845 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 02:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Music, Television, and Your Children"

I was a teenager when 'I wanna Sex you up' was a really racy song. I was in elementary school when Madonna's 'Like a Virgin' was on tv and my mother wouldn't let me watch it. My parents wouldn't let me and my brother watch Purple Rain because it was Rated R (of course we found a way). So, in a time when they have 'It's Getting Hot in Herre' playing on every radio station and video is in heavy rotation, how do you monitor your kids? Or how do you think kids should be monitored? Even a couple of weeks ago, as I watched NYLA on BET at 8:00 p.m., I was repulsed by the scene of shaking asses on the screen from a bathing suit contest held in Texas. Women bending over shacking their asses, and BET's camera man was more than happy to catch each and every jiggle.

Do you think that music, television, just pop culture as a whole is creating 'out of control' children? Is it appropriate for a 7 year old to watch 106 & Park? Do you change the radio station when you hear anything that might be inappropriate for a 10 year to listen to? It is understandable that you can't not watch a child's every move, but by you letting that child know what YOU think is acceptable, isn't that setting a standard for your children?

I'm not a parent, but I am very much aware of the things that children are being exposed to on an every day basis. If I cringe at something, then I know it's not appropriate for a 7 year old to see or hear. But that would eliminate so many things.

So my question is what do you do, if anything, to make sure that your children are not exposed to inappropriate things in music and on television?

"Men often stumble on the Truth, but usually dust themselves off & hurry away..." - Winston Churchill

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not a parent yet
Jul 10th 2002
I think that this culture is not condusive to raising a
Jul 10th 2002
it is absolutely possible
Jul 10th 2002
yeah...
Jul 10th 2002
too much
Jul 10th 2002
exactly
Jul 10th 2002
RE: yeah...
Jul 10th 2002
      yep
Jul 10th 2002
      shoot....we never came in.
Jul 10th 2002
           lol
Jul 10th 2002
      i'm all for
Jul 10th 2002
islamic countries
Jul 10th 2002
Kids have their own tv and dvd players nowadays
Jul 10th 2002
that's too bad
Jul 10th 2002
no video games?!?
Jul 10th 2002
hell no
Jul 10th 2002
      i keep forgetting you're a woman...
Jul 10th 2002
      B-O-R-E-D games
Jul 10th 2002
           hahahahaha
Jul 10th 2002
                ur kids
Jul 10th 2002
                     adjusted to what?
Jul 10th 2002
                          no
Jul 10th 2002
                               RE: no
Jul 10th 2002
      My mother used to
Jul 10th 2002
           RE: My mother used to
Jul 10th 2002
w/o video games...
Jul 10th 2002
      fcu k madden
Jul 10th 2002
           RE: fcu k madden
Jul 10th 2002
           Madden is GOD
Jul 10th 2002
RE: Kids have their own tv and dvd players nowadays
Jul 10th 2002
in this one
Jul 10th 2002
RE: Kids have their own tv and dvd players nowadays
Jul 10th 2002
i dunno
Jul 10th 2002
      College
Jul 10th 2002
           differences
Jul 10th 2002
                RE: differences
Jul 10th 2002
as far as i'm concerned
Jul 10th 2002
      the phone thing
Jul 10th 2002
      I even offered to pay for my own line....
Jul 10th 2002
      RE: as far as i'm concerned
Jul 10th 2002
           True...and they are desensitized.
Jul 10th 2002
i felt left out too
Jul 10th 2002
i'm with u
Jul 10th 2002
i'm quick to change the station
Jul 10th 2002
RE: i'm quick to change the station
Jul 10th 2002
NO.
Jul 10th 2002
disney
Jul 10th 2002
      haha. i reluctantly let them watch that
Jul 10th 2002
mortal kombat - only i can play that now.
Jul 10th 2002
Radio solutions: 2 channels you can listen to
Jul 10th 2002
i don't sweat cussing
Jul 10th 2002
      me neither. but my views
Jul 10th 2002
RE: Music, Television, and Your Children
Jul 10th 2002
Jul 10th 2002
      exACTly
Jul 10th 2002
           RE: exACTly
Jul 10th 2002
Video Games Killed the adventurous child.....
Jul 10th 2002
exactly
Jul 10th 2002
*sigh*
Jul 10th 2002
Jul 10th 2002
I think you're missing my point
Jul 10th 2002
^
Jul 18th 2002
Jul 18th 2002

Al_Tru_Ist
Member since May 25th 2002
4461 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 02:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "not a parent yet"
In response to Reply # 0

but i have a bunch of little brothers and sisters who love watching mtv. Censoring the tv and radio isn't necessarily the answer. having a relationship with your kids so that you can talk to them and ask questions about what they think of what they're being exposed to is important.

Okaysports 2004 Hall of Fame Inductee

**Love of My Life. Ella Angelica Ugarte, born 11-07-03.**

Al_Tru_Ist's Avatar...Getting to work. there's a dynasty to create here.

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 02:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I think that this culture is not condusive to raising a"
In response to Reply # 0

Even in Europe they look down on this lifestyle- so let's not blame them this time. This working 40-70 hours a week is crazy. When I was in Insurance, I would sometimes work on cases from 6am till 8pm, and think nothing of it...think I was doing good.

I would put off seeing my Queen so I can make the boss smile. I think that the entire popular culture is unhealthy in USA.

We get on the bible thumpers of the mid west...and I don't agree with many of their religious beliefs. But at least they still have some sense of community and family-prolly cus they are still farming communities.

" If we can't learn to live together despite the turmoil of past generations we are doomed." -Stern

"And where today is the stable community that would sustain such a couple, where one can be both poor and diginified and raise one's children with decency and hope... If the answer is education, does our society adequateley provide that tool of self-improvement to the less well off?"-- Sidney Poitier

" I'm not mad 'cus I'm losing! I'm mad 'cus I don't know how to win!" --Kevin Curtis Daniels Jr.

"And herein lies the tragedy of the age: not that men are poor,-all men know something of poverty; not that men are wicked,-who is good? Not that men are ignorant, -what is Truth? Nay, but that men know so little of men."
W.E.B. Dubois

"Slaves got options...cowards aint got shit." --PS
"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "it is absolutely possible"
In response to Reply # 2

but it requires a bunch of reversals in yr thinking and timing. no working overtime, changing yr definitions of success, letting some things around the house to slide in favor of spending time with yr kids, turning off the tv so u can interact, doing things together, making projects out of everything, ....

"Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere"
- Amiri Baraka

http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines

BUY MY BOOK- only $6! Inbox me for details

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 02:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yeah..."
In response to Reply # 0

i gotta do better about that. the boy is running around singing "MOVE...get out the way, get out the way..." and "my neck...my back..." the 3 year old is running around saying "who let the dog's out? woof! woof!" after hearing it in Men in Black 2...but it's so darn cute... you gotta let her.

when he should know the lyrics to "Knowledge of Self" and "The Ultimate" and songs like that...

the simple answer: no tv... and no radio... and having a group of kids around whose parents think the same way so that when they socialize, these things come up. and for god's sake, KEEP 'EM AWAY FROM AMERICAN CHILDREN as much as possible!

also... there's too much nature out there to be watching tv anyways. things to learn, experience and do! in downtime i really wanna start playing more spanish language CD's which the boy imitates all the time and DECENT music.

hell...i'm glad my parents kept the purple rain tape in a special drawer and made us close our eyes during certain parts...cuz damn, when i DID finally see Appleonia naked at Lake Titicaca it was TOO MUCH!

Red, Black, Green

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:02 AM

5. "too much"
In response to Reply # 3

yeh i was forbidden to watch horror movies and never developed a taste for them

not even silence of the lambs

- Amiri Baraka

Al_Tru_Ist
4461 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "exactly"
In response to Reply # 3

if you don't want your kids to watch tv, just make tv a non-issue. do things with them outside of the house. and the friends with similar views part is definitely important. my 15 year old sister has only recently begun talking about sex and lying to her parents after she started hanging with some people at her high school who do not share the family's values.

Aja
Charter member
21515 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:42 AM

38. "RE: yeah..."
In response to Reply # 3

>
>also... there's too much nature out there to be watching tv
>anyways. things to learn, experience and do! in downtime i
>really wanna start playing more spanish language CD's which
>the boy imitates all the time and DECENT music.

man, i remember a time when kids stayin in the house all day was nearly obsolete.......playin outside was the norm

now kids'll stay in the house watchin tv, playin video games, and eatin

nowadays you could tell a kid to go play outside and they'll look at you like you're speakin in old english

>
>hell...i'm glad my parents kept the purple rain tape in a
>special drawer and made us close our eyes during certain
>parts...cuz damn, when i DID finally see Appleonia naked at
>Lake Titicaca it was TOO MUCH!

yep my mom wouldn't let me even go to see the movie, let alone see prince in concert

she wasn't havin it

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:50 AM

41. "yep"
In response to Reply # 38

only came inside for koolaid and for cartoons during lunch.

and since i was in the country...we even Pee'd outside!

the boy is AFRAID of nature... absolutely afraid. but not for long... he's gonna have a castaway experience this weekend.

Red, Black, Green

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:53 AM

43. "shoot....we never came in."
In response to Reply # 41

we would drink from the hose...piss outside, and run around until it got dark outside.

" If we can't learn to live together despite the turmoil of past generations we are doomed." -Stern

"And where today is the stable community that would sustain such a couple, where one can be both poor and diginified and raise one's children with decency and hope... If the answer is education, does our society adequateley provide that tool of self-improvement to the less well off?"-- Sidney Poitier

" I'm not mad 'cus I'm losing! I'm mad 'cus I don't know how to win!" --Kevin Curtis Daniels Jr.

"And herein lies the tragedy of the age: not that men are poor,-all men know something of poverty; not that men are wicked,-who is good? Not that men are ignorant, -what is Truth? Nay, but that men know so little of men."
W.E.B. Dubois

"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

Al_Tru_Ist
4461 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:02 AM

45. "lol"
In response to Reply # 43
Wed Jul-10-02 04:02 AM

drinking from the hose! that was me for real! i'd be out playing, and i hated coming in. hosewater worked for me.

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts

42. "i'm all for"
In response to Reply # 38

a "bring sunshine back into kids' lives" campaign

- Amiri Baraka

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:01 AM

4. "islamic countries"
In response to Reply # 0

the news last night was knocking on islamic countries for repressing american pop culture, but i think they're right and they're smart to do it.

my parents forbade me to watch mtv and soaps, but i found a way. my mom always told me what it was that she dissapproved of, and i often tried to see it from her point of view. because of that, i was able to grow out of it early and avoid it like the plague afterwards.

i want to do the same with my own children- show them a better way- not buy cable- and then hope that our honesty and discussions lead her to know better.

mostly i want my daughter to grow into a proud & healthy woman despite pop culture

- Amiri Baraka

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:05 AM

7. "Kids have their own tv and dvd players nowadays"
In response to Reply # 4

Parents are crazy. I know I didn't own my first tv until my sophmore year in college. Growing up I could watch tv...but only PBS, Sports, The News, and the Cosby Show. I felt left out though...

W.E.B. Dubois

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:09 AM

9. "that's too bad"
In response to Reply # 7

i didn't until my 3rd yr of college, and my kids won't under my roof

no video games either

fortunately we have no cable and shitty reception anyway

- Amiri Baraka

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:12 AM

10. "no video games?!?"
In response to Reply # 9

gasp!

video games...at least SOME of them can be useful tools.

Red, Black, Green

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:15 AM

11. "hell no"
In response to Reply # 10

i am so happy i never learned to play games (well, duckhunt and super mario when babysitting). no video games. no computer games (solitaire and freecell briefly).

my kids will even have limited computer time.

get up off yr ass, go outside, and be a kid. encourages creativity.

- Amiri Baraka

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:18 AM

13. "i keep forgetting you're a woman..."
In response to Reply # 11

and as such don't possess the hand-eye coordination for things such as video games...

perhaps a game of conenct four?

Red, Black, Green

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:23 AM

18. "B-O-R-E-D games"
In response to Reply # 13

<<snore>>

- Amiri Baraka

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:25 AM

20. "hahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 18

that's cute.

*cough* CHESS *cough*

Red, Black, Green

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:26 AM

23. "ur kids"
In response to Reply # 20

will have the high iq's, and my kids will be better adjusted

- Amiri Baraka

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:30 AM

27. "adjusted to what?"
In response to Reply # 23
Wed Jul-10-02 03:32 AM

here? america?

if plans go right.. i won't even be in the western hemisphere...except for vacationing in latin america.

Red, Black, Green

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts

30. "no"
In response to Reply # 27

sunlight

- Amiri Baraka

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:35 AM

34. "RE: no"
In response to Reply # 30

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

Red, Black, Green

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:19 AM

15. "My mother used to"
In response to Reply # 11

Take us to the Brooklyn Zoo, and Botanical Gardens, or the Museaum...that's what I want to do with my kids...we didn't want to watch tv...until it hurt us socially when we moved to Ga.

W.E.B. Dubois

Invisible-Genius
Charter member
845 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:22 AM

17. "RE: My mother used to"
In response to Reply # 15

Yeah, during the summer, my mother use to take me and my brother to the museums, parks, etc... We did art projects, read books for a program at the library. Our family played board games, even now. One of my friends use to call us the Huxtables. I use to think she was hating, now I guess she was envious. I had a very well rounded childhood.

"Men often stumble on the Truth, but usually dust themselves off & hurry away..." - Winston Churchill

Al_Tru_Ist
4461 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:16 AM

12. "w/o video games..."
In response to Reply # 9

I might just have to be a bad parent then. I can't imagine the year I don't buy the new Madden football for my ps2.

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts

16. "fcu k madden"
In response to Reply # 12

i never played ANY sports game past Double Dribble...

i'm talking problem soving, pattern recognition games... adventure games... THINKING games...

hell. tetris attack has a puzzle mode on it that i don't think most ADULTS could understand.

Red, Black, Green

Al_Tru_Ist
4461 posts

19. "RE: fcu k madden"
In response to Reply # 16

by no means am i saying that my sports games have challenged my intelligence beyond sports strategy. i just love em.

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:27 AM

24. "Madden is GOD"
In response to Reply # 16

And that is why It won't celebrated as such in my house...hopefully my kids will not go that route- I won't force them to not play it- hopefully I was a good enough parrent for them not to want to play at all.

W.E.B. Dubois

Invisible-Genius
Charter member
845 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:18 AM

14. "RE: Kids have their own tv and dvd players nowadays"
In response to Reply # 7

I don't know if having their own tvs influences kids so much as the parents influence on them. I had a tv when I was young. I had to turn it off at a certain time during the week. On the other end, I grew up with a girl who couldn't watch tv at all. Because of her sheltered childhood, she kind of had a nervous breakdown at the age of 22 and is weird now.

I don't think that life without tv helped her, nor do I think life with tv hurt me, I knew right from wrong. I knew what my parents expected of me. Parents let their televisions raise their children.

This is what pisses me off. They won't allow certain topics about sex to be discussed in schools. The education system has to walk a very fine line when it comes to sex education. But they will let their kids watch MTV and BET and whatever other shows that are sexually based, and their kids develop unreal and inaccurate ideals and expectations of sex. Then who do parents blame then?

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts

21. "in this one"
In response to Reply # 14

women's studies class we took we wrote down all of the slang terms we could think of that related to sex and then talked about the whole picture

the results were pretty amazing

- Amiri Baraka

NoShelter
Charter member
8725 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:29 AM

26. "RE: Kids have their own tv and dvd players nowadays"

Good Point, a lot of the cats here talk about not letting their kids have a TV, but once you send these kids to school, especially a public school, they are going to be very isolated and a shitty childhood can seriously fuck up a kid. It's one thing if a kid grows up poor, but another thing if the kid has no friends and only talks with family members. And if the kids are home schooled most likely the parents would have to decide on what friends the kid can make and that can stunt the kid socially. So there are too sides to everything

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:34 AM

32. "i dunno"
In response to Reply # 26

three generations of "isolation" hasn't hurt anyone in my family

- Amiri Baraka

NoShelter
Charter member
8725 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:40 AM

37. "College"
In response to Reply # 32

Yeah but I've met a bunch of kids who were isolated at home, and they would come here and hole themselves up in their room, or just go nuts partying.

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:45 AM

39. "differences"
In response to Reply # 37

we all got socialized through our friends and schools, just not at home

the important thing is that our parents talked to us openly about *everything*

the kids who isolated themselves weren't very adjusted to social situations, but we always had/have other families/friends/people around. and the kids who drank up a strom in college did so as an experiment/rebellion, but our family historically experiences that stage of development differently because we were introduced to drugs & alcohol & their effects earlier and very openly

- Amiri Baraka

NoShelter
Charter member
8725 posts

44. "RE: differences"
In response to Reply # 39

I guess what I'm talking about are kids who lived in a house with no television or didn't listen to the radio or didn't have any toys the other kids have, once that kid gets to elementry or middle school, he will be lost one what the other kids are talking about, which will isolate the kid most likely. This can also happen with neighborhood kids. What I'm saying is this can have a damning affect on the child becuase the child might grow up knowledge-wise superior, but socially stunted.

But you are right about college, some kids can be isolated (like I was) and not get in with the party crowd. I only drank twice from birth to 18, but when i got to college, all that partyin and shit never affected me.

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:44 AM

50. "as far as i'm concerned"

a child under 12 or so should NOT have their own tv or phone in his/her room.

& i think that the other aspects of her sheltering had a lot more to do w/ homegirl's breakdown than not having a tv *smile*

but the problem is that most kids who have their own tvs are NOT monitored well (i did interviews w/ parents & we talked about that kind of thing. believe me, they're not watching like they should), and there's also cable. they could be watching anything, any time of the night.

a river would stop
its flow if only
a stream were there
to receive it

an ocean would never laugh
if clouds weren't there
to kiss her tears

the world is not
a pleasant place to be without
someone
(c) nikki giovanni

Nigger is a State
population too many
I'm finna move out
(c) thaanthology

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:50 AM

51. "the phone thing"
In response to Reply # 50

man how i begged, pleaded, scammed........

- Amiri Baraka

ladyboss08
Member since Jul 04th 2002
15772 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 06:31 AM

60. "I even offered to pay for my own line...."
In response to Reply # 51

and I NEVER GOT IT. NEVER!!!! when I went to college, my sister got one the next year. Man was I pissed. at 16- she got her own phone line. I had to move out to get one!!! Do I sound bitter? I am. I still don't let my mom forget that she's getting too soft.

Invisible-Genius
Charter member
845 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:56 AM

53. "RE: as far as i'm concerned"
In response to Reply # 50

I realize that all kids don't or didn't fear their parents like I did. But I think that so many things in our culture targets kids with overly mature material, thus creating an interest in other adult things.

Like when I was 10, I had no real interest in HBO other than those Brain Teasers that came on in the afternoon and Fraggle Rock.
Kids now hear about the Sopranos and Sex and the City so they try to tune in and see all kinds of crap that, again, make me cringe sometimes. I'm in my late twenties!

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 05:02 AM

54. "True...and they are desensitized."
In response to Reply # 53

I would get an opportunity to sneak and see these type of shows as a kid- they didn't interest me, but these kids eat it up.

W.E.B. Dubois

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:36 AM

48. "i felt left out too"
In response to Reply # 7

but i'm SO glad my mom didn't let me watch all the mess some of my friends were allowed to see.

a river would stop
its flow if only
a stream were there
to receive it

if clouds weren't there
to kiss her tears

the world is not
someone
(c) nikki giovanni

Nigger is a State
population too many
I'm finna move out
(c) thaanthology

~~~~

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:36 AM

49. "i'm with u"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Jul-10-02 04:37 AM

i think that's a great way of thinking of it

i hate the way we think everyone NEEDS to be exposed to the mess we've made.

~~~~

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:26 AM

22. "i'm quick to change the station"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't listen to radio much anymore b/c there's so much bullshit on that i ain't trying to listen too, much less, my kids.

usually its on a jazz station (my wife been flipping it to gospel lately). if its on any station, though, and a song comes on that's innappropriate, i'll switch. cuz don't sleep on the magic/classic oldies stations either, cause we had some trife shit in the 70's, 80's and 90's with NO RAP either.

hip hop is a conflict. there's some cd's i can listen to w/ the fam in the whip and its no prob. on some joints, i'm like a dj with NEW SHIT!!! and working the volume control like its 7 second delay. (when i used to bang LWFC all the time, it'd be like, "i'd never call you my _____ or even my boo..."

some songs, they're cussing on the low and its not something catchy or repeatable so it can slide.

as far as tv, they know the deal. nickelodeon, cartoon network, disney, animal planet, and like that. mtv and bet? hell to the naw.

my oldest (daughter, 10 years old), can watch some more mature stuff with me and my wife, but only if we're there.

video games iz strictly sports and adventure, no reaching in and pulling out someone's spleen. i think x-men is about as violent as it gets (or destruction derby).

we're pretty careful about what they're exposed to. and ask them questions if we think there's something they don't understand.

but they don't need to understand licking somebody's neck, back or asscrack while we driving to school. now cipher.

peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:28 AM

25. "RE: i'm quick to change the station"
In response to Reply # 22

what are the ramifications of mortal kombat?

what do you think abot movies like Spiderman? would you take a 5 year old to see that???

Red, Black, Green

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:33 AM

31. "NO."
In response to Reply # 25

Lilo and stitch, but not spidy or shrek.

W.E.B. Dubois

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:34 AM

33. "disney"
In response to Reply # 31

is the devil

- Amiri Baraka

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 05:50 AM

58. "haha. i reluctantly let them watch that"
In response to Reply # 33

(mostly its just too bland for me, and i definitely won't be letting them learn disneyfied history).

peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 05:30 AM

56. "mortal kombat - only i can play that now."
In response to Reply # 25

>what are the ramifications of mortal kombat?
>
>what do you think abot movies like Spiderman? would you take
>a 5 year old to see that???

we went to see spiderman. enjoyed it (youngest is 5 1/2). its not like they're forbidden to see anything but carebears or some shit. we basically draw the line on movies individually. an we quick to cover the little man's eyes if something is unexpectedly a little too intense.

the youngest two (boys) are the ones who love video games the most, so they don't play anything i don't play.

i splain to my youngest that when daddy is driving, i'm not trying to ram head on into traffic to pick up points like we do on destruction derby (where its part race part demolition derby). he knows the diff.

peace & blessings,

x

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:31 AM

28. "Radio solutions: 2 channels you can listen to"
Wed Jul-10-02 03:31 AM

With the fam..and still love every minute of it..they DO stream online:

. http://www.wclk.com/index.html
91.9 Clark-Atlanta University. The best station in the world. They have everything. It is an NPR affiliate with the Tavis Smiley show in the morning, then Jazz all day Daily, Hot Ice in the Afternoon(Neo-Soul/Acid Jazz/House/Smooth Jazz...), Community Forums every night from 4-6 (On various subjects), More Jazz..., Weekends: Salsa,Afro-Cuban Jazz, Reggae
...then Sunday Gospel.

2.. http://www.wrfg.org/home/schedule.asp 89.3

Jazz, Blues, African, Afro-Cuban, Spoken Word, and Featured Guest

Wednesday @ 6pm 89.3 I listen to this health show with Dr. What's his name. I also listen to this station if I don't like what I hear on 91.9...but that is so rare, this station doesn't get much play- it is good as gold though.

W.E.B. Dubois

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts

29. "i don't sweat cussing"

becuz i've been around it my whole life & it's pretty natural/normal

but i guess the word bitch really gets to me

- Amiri Baraka

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 06:28 AM

59. "me neither. but my views"
In response to Reply # 29

are *nuanced*. if someone asks me about it, i can go off and get into a discussion about what is really profane, and how arbitary language is, and intent, etc.

and i do cuss around the crib, but the reality is that my kids know not to necessarily repeat what i say. but if they here something on a song, its more apt to be repeated.

back when wu-tang came out, he said he listened to Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nothin' to F*ck Wit in his car twice, with his two year old, and a week later, his mother was babysitting him and he's walking around the house talkin' bout' "fuck wit, fuck wit, fuck wit, fuck wit..."

his little brain just looped that shit.

i ain't tryin to have to explain my theories on linguistic freedom in school or church or grandma's, nahmean?

peace & blessings,

x

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

kmycoolness
Charter member
47 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:35 AM

35. "RE: Music, Television, and Your Children"
In response to Reply # 0

I am a parent of a 7 year old. For a long time I was just like okay " No I am not letting my child look at all this ass shaking and sex like conduct on TV etc." I have found that it is a little unavoidable. so I got over the sickening part of it all and sat and talked to my child and told him the deal. "Look there are people that do such and such because they think it is cool and cute and the like but it is not acceptable." It worked. I dunno if he will be pulled into the Abyss with the other chidren but I do feel good about the fact thati have taught him you do not have to act like everyone else. you are your own person.

Al_Tru_Ist
4461 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:40 AM

36. "RE: Music, Television, and Your Children"
In response to Reply # 35

that's how i feel for the most part. make other things occupy kids time so they don't really worry about the tv, but when they do watch things deemed unacceptable simply talk to them about it, without freaking out "NO! don't watch that!!" just explain it to them. kids are impressionable and influenced by the radio and tv, but they're not too stupid to be able to think critically about those things if their parents raise them to do so.

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 03:46 AM

40. "exACTly"
In response to Reply # 36

well put.

- Amiri Baraka

ladyboss08
15772 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 06:40 AM

61. "RE: exACTly"
In response to Reply # 40

It doesn't help that half of the mothers out there are still young girls trying to do their thing. I was in BK w/ Quixotic last week and we saw this woman (who looked no older than 18) w/ 2 kids. She was dressed in these dukes that may have left permanent scares on her ass and this teeny backless top. Now this woman has two sons and she dresses like that? ....but she's not a woman and she has no idea what her image means to her sons.... now they grow up to be men..... and they expect women to look like that? lil girls w/ mamas dressed like that- grow up to look like that........see the cycle repeating? Part of the problem is that young girls are procreating and they should not be mothers yet. Parenting is a major responsibility. You are creating a life and taking responsibility for that life. Kids are soo impressionable...can you imagine what they are learning from thier 16 year old mothers who should still be learning about life themselves?

ladyboss08
15772 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:20 AM

46. "Video Games Killed the adventurous child....."
In response to Reply # 0

and I'll say so until the day i die. Technology is killing our kid's spirit. Kids are not outside anymore- they're in the house playing Grand Theft Auto.

While I'm all for kids learning how to operate computers and the freedom of speech and expression on our tv sets, ultimately it's up to the parents to monitor thier kids. When I was a kid the last day of school was also the last day of cable. My mom turned our cable off every summer on the last day of school. She told us we had to either read or play outside. She made us read books and write small reports on them. She taught us black history at home too. She worked 2 jobs, so I know it's possible to spend more time with your kids...

What would happen if you just turned your cable off for a few months? The problem is- the parents aren't willing to make that sacrifice either. They let that television become the babysitter for their child and then complain about the content. I'm frankly sick of parents wanting to censor the tv. If you don't like what's coming on- TURN IT OFF! Can you imagine the kind of changes that might be brought about if we simply turned it off?

Sadly, my younger sisters (7 and 11) won't have the same kinds of memories I have of my youth. They won't remember having kickball games that went until midnight, double-dutch contests, snowball fights and fortresses, bike races, walking to the swimming pool, roller skating, all day hide-n-go-seek games etc...

I've been trying to figure out what happened. It's not just the video games and television... It's our neighborhoods. When I was younger- we knew EVERYONE on the block. My mom was on a first name basis with all my friends parents. There was never a fear about sending your kids outside alone. My friends got beating when I got beatings. They stayed the night at my house and they're parents never had to worry. Now- no one feels like it's ok to let their kids run around the neighborhood and just be kids. It's not safe anymore....It's sad and I don't even know where to begin in the correction of this dilemna....

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:24 AM

47. "exactly"
In response to Reply # 46

- Amiri Baraka

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 04:53 AM

52. "*sigh*"
In response to Reply # 46

you are so right

i think another part of the problem is people not putting down roots anymore. you don't KNOW 1/2 the people in your neighborhood 'cause everyone's moving every couple of years. our parents' generation has more of a sense of what it is to stay at a job for 20 years, be homeowners (or at least aspire to it), etc.

the values of the society as a whole have changed.

sad.

a river would stop
its flow if only
a stream were there
to receive it

if clouds weren't there
to kiss her tears

the world is not
someone
(c) nikki giovanni

Nigger is a State
population too many
I'm finna move out
(c) thaanthology

~~~~

Vision
Member since May 29th 2002
1416 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 05:17 AM

55. "RE: Music, Television, and Your Children"
In response to Reply # 0

I only have a few things to say.

Pop culture should not be "creating" of rainsing your children, you should be shaping your child's mind, how they process and think about he things going on aroung them.

Kids should not be singing Ludacris's "What's your fantasy..." or for that matter Jigga Man "2 a.m. I'm diggin' her out..." or whatever or R. Kelly's "Feelin' on yo Booty..."

Really yall com' on. If your baby got problem in math but can mimic every word of JaRule's "I need a down A$$ B!tch" something deeper than "Pop culture" is going wrong there.

Just THINK ABOUT IT!!!!

click profile for avatar(Funny)

Thank you for your attention. You may now return to your regularly scheduled program, already in session.

Invisible-Genius
Charter member
845 posts
Wed Jul-10-02 05:31 AM

57. "I think you're missing my point"
In response to Reply # 55

Obviously parenting is lacking in so many ways. But even the bestparent can't watch their child's every move nor influences from friends. My question was what proactive measures are people doing as parents to make sure that when their children are exposed to these things, they don't internalize it. They don't begin to think 'oh if this girl in Nelly's video is getting all the attention, I need to do the same thing she's doing.' You know what I mean?

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Jul-18-02 09:46 AM

62. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Monique
Charter member
2511 posts
Thu Jul-18-02 10:46 AM

63. "RE: Music, Television, and Your Children"
In response to Reply # 0

Within reason I intentionally exposed my children to the good,bad of life.

When my youngest son was born,I always sat him beside classical music,or instrumental Jazz,which left him quite calm.Otherwise I am not one to play the radio,but they watch BET~MTV,other.
One day I found my son watching the animal,medical channel,I said ok now,he said see and u thought I just watch BET/MTV.
AVID fan of Emeril Lagasse the cook master and he will get in the kitchen whipp up some healthy meals.

That same son I covered his eyes for pg-13 movies when younger,age 9,public boobs,main attraction for him.

But,both children ended up listening to allll rap~hip-hop as they got older,we were away at work,whatever because they are old enough to be alone.
That I deemed negative they had to turn it off.
Now,one heavily into the blues,the other gospel.

Many 13 year olds in the family have gravatated to the blues,almost leaving pop,hip-hop behind.

Videos,my children watch,because they go to the beach and watch Reality Video in thong bikinis,almost no bikini,.ss hanginn out ,folks cuddling....they running back, forth,mama look!And we talk.

Now,living in the hood where all music is played,television atched,it is a quiet summer in part because no children are running wild,for they are in Mentoring programs with access to school work,arts,crafts,swimming,Bible School,computers,games,more!

Somewhat sheltered the children as very young,however oh the stories from Lil Johnny'sss houses,so I stopped the sheltering,they watched,I graphically taught and they are doing well.
Don't learn it from home,they will from that other house,public.

NELLY: I'm Humble In Life Taking Nothing For Granted

AFRICA: www.bbcnews.com

THE BROKER: John Grisham

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #7823 Previous topic | Next topic