Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #30024

Subject: "Axum obelisk finally returned to Ethiopia" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Wed Apr-20-05 01:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Axum obelisk finally returned to Ethiopia"

... 58 years after Italy agreed to return it. They've been delaying this forever so I didn't know when they'd ever get around to it, so this is great news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/africa/4458105.stm

Obelisk arrives back in Ethiopia

The first section of a 1,700-year old stone obelisk looted by Italy nearly 70 years ago has arrived back in Ethiopia.

The Axum obelisk is regarded as one of Ethiopia's national religious treasures.

An Antonov plane landed on Tuesday with the middle part of the obelisk; the top and bottom should follow within a week.

Italian troops seized the obelisk in 1937 and took it to Rome, where it has remained ever since, despite a 1947 UN agreement to return it to Ethiopia.

The plane carrying the first part of the obelisk appeared over the horizon just before dawn.

A crowd of Ethiopian ministers, priests and other VIPs cheered and clapped as it landed.

AXUM OBELISK
1,700 years old
Weighs 160 tons
24m tall
Looted in 1937
Return costing $7.7m
Due to be re-erected in September

"I am excited, overjoyed and delighted," said Ethiopian Culture Minister Teshome Toga.

"This is a very historical moment for us, we have waited so long to have the obelisk back," he said.

Pealing bells and chanting priests could be heard from a nearby cathedral, reports the AP news agency.

The ornately decorated 24-metre (78ft) obelisk is regarded as an outstanding example of architecture from the ancient city of Axum, itself seen as one of the four great kingdoms of the ancient world.

It stood for years outside the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation in Rome, despite an Italian commitment to send it back to Ethiopia.

Celebrations planned

It was eventually dismantled by Italian experts in 2004 in readiness for its journey home.

The operation is costing Italy an estimated 6m euros ($7.7m).

But the obelisk's return had been beset by "technical difficulties" and repeatedly postponed.

The most recent delay came just last week, when it was postponed "indefinitely" amid concerns that the airstrip at Axum could not handle the cargo plane.

The 160-ton monument had to be broken into three pieces.

The delay was a disappointment for Ethiopians and the country's government, which had planned a national celebration to mark the return of the obelisk.

Shortly after the obelisk's return, traditional dancers took to the streets of Axum to celebrate.

The obelisk will be re-erected after the rains in September.

Many Ethiopians see the obelisk as a vital national symbol, and the prospect of its return stirs strong emotions.

Abebe Alenayehu, 81, watched Italian troops seize the obelisk from Axum, but never expected to be alive to witness its return.

"The memory still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth," he told the Associated Press news agency.

"Every day for the last 67 years I have thought about the obelisk."

Steel bars

Lattanzi, the Italian company responsible for transporting the obelisk to Axum, has described the obelisk as the largest, heaviest object ever transported by air.

Heaters were installed in the plane to protect the monument from freezing air temperatures.

The obelisk was wrapped in steel bars to stabilise it in case of turbulence during the six-hour flight, Lattanzi director Simone Pietero told AP.

In addition, the airstrip at Axum had to be upgraded to handle the vast Antonov-124 aircraft, and radar was installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Nurse Roberts: She googled your ass.

Dr. Kelso: Don't you use your street lingo on me!

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is damn near anchor worthy. Terrific. I'll read this lata
Apr 20th 2005
yeah, this is a really big deal for Ethiopia
Apr 21st 2005
that's a mighty fine obelisk right there
Apr 20th 2005
this means so much, but this really got me...
Apr 20th 2005
RE: this means so much, but this really got me...
Apr 20th 2005
sheeeeeit!!!
Apr 21st 2005
yeah, Italy only agreed to return it under a post-WWII UN agreement
Apr 21st 2005
      yeah, why 58 years specifically?
Apr 22nd 2005
           their excuse was that transporting the obelisk would damage it
Apr 22nd 2005
The British?
Apr 21st 2005
      the British have TONS more stuff than the Italians, or anyone else
Apr 21st 2005
yeah, that made me think of how my grandmother must feel
Apr 21st 2005
      YOU SHOULD TALK TO HER ABOUT IT...
Apr 21st 2005
           she doesn't speak English & I don't speak Tigrinya or Amharic
Apr 21st 2005
                cool!!! thanks n/m
Apr 22nd 2005
cool
Apr 22nd 2005
hooray for the return of AquamansWrath's big, black cock
Apr 23rd 2005
i recently chaperoned a field trip to DC for 5th graders (including
Apr 24th 2005

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Wed Apr-20-05 04:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is damn near anchor worthy. Terrific. I'll read this lata"
In response to Reply # 0

www.northernarc.net
www.myspace.com/egyptianknight

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 02:04 PM

8. "yeah, this is a really big deal for Ethiopia"
In response to Reply # 1

and for Axum, you have no idea. My father used to live just down the road from the stelae field where the obelisk stood, he used to play there as a kid, so this is a REALLY big thing for us.

Freduardo
Member since Nov 12th 2002
983 posts
Wed Apr-20-05 07:10 PM

2. "that's a mighty fine obelisk right there"
In response to Reply # 0

mmhmmm

SONJEVITY
Member since Nov 07th 2003
4478 posts
Wed Apr-20-05 07:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "this means so much, but this really got me..."
In response to Reply # 0

>Abebe Alenayehu, 81, watched Italian troops seize the obelisk from
>Axum, but never expected to be alive to witness its return.

>"The memory still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth," he told the >Associated Press news agency.

>"Every day for the last 67 years I have thought about the obelisk."

I can only imagine how he feels

---------------------------------------
"We're not weeell...and we cain't teeell" (c) Badu

http://www.myspace.com/sonjevitysgroove

anubis
Member since Apr 20th 2005
5 posts
Wed Apr-20-05 11:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: this means so much, but this really got me..."
In response to Reply # 3

OK

I hope this sets a new precedent. The british need to follow the italians and return all the shit they stole from asia, africa, and other parts of the world. The axum obelisk is so important to that country. Imagine if some Nigerians stole the Washington monument or the declaration of independence?

A

SONJEVITY
4478 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 04:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "sheeeeeit!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

>Imagine if some Nigerians stole the Washington monument or the
>declaration of independence?

Simple. Certain Masons would have "nigerian oysters" at their
next gathering...

i keed, i keed!!!

But seriously though, I really dont think any European nations
will follow suit.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 02:09 PM

9. "yeah, Italy only agreed to return it under a post-WWII UN agreement"
In response to Reply # 5

because they lost the war, and even then it took them 58 years to honor the agreement.

So I don't see other European nations returning stuff anytime soon.

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Fri Apr-22-05 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "yeah, why 58 years specifically?"
In response to Reply # 9

is their govt trying to generate a little good PR? Legal appeals finally exhausted? Were they just not returning the Ethiopian embassy's calls for the past 57 years?

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Fri Apr-22-05 03:16 PM

16. "their excuse was that transporting the obelisk would damage it"
In response to Reply # 13

when the Italians first took it they cut it into 3 sections to transport it to Rome (which is a fucking travesty, the obelisk's claim to fame was that it was the tallest standing monolith cut from a single stone in the ancient world), and re-assembled it in Rome using steel rods through the center that connected the 3 sections together. They said that it was now too fragile to disassemble and transport back to Ethiopia.

Also during the civil war in Ethiopia from the 70's to the early 90's they said it was too dangerous to travel to Axum because northern Ethiopia was a center of rebel activity. I will give them that one as a valid excuse, but beyond that they've just been dragging their feet.

>is their govt trying to generate a little good PR? Legal
>appeals finally exhausted? Were they just not returning the
>Ethiopian embassy's calls for the past 57 years?

I think they just finally ran out of excuses. Just last week they had said that they were going to postpone returning it indefinitely because the airstrip in Axum was too small to handle the jumbo cargo plane that would be carrying the obelisk, so I just thought it was the same-old same-old and that they were gonna keep putting it off forever.

So I was pretty shocked when I heard that they actually went ahead and brought back the first section, I really thought they might keep putting it off for years on end. So I'm still irked that they took so damn long, but right now I'm just glad that it's finally coming home where it belongs.

afrogirl
Member since Aug 16th 2002
16597 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 01:30 PM

7. "The British?"
In response to Reply # 4

Please, they have just as much stolen shit in their country as the Italians. I want African nations to start demanding the return of their stuff.

Please welcome baby Askia into the world!! 10/16/10.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 02:25 PM

10. "the British have TONS more stuff than the Italians, or anyone else"
In response to Reply # 7

the British Museum is packed to the gills with looted treasure from all over the world.

But there was a Scottish church that recently returned a tabot (a religious artifact that is a representation of the Ark of the Covenant) to the Ethiopian church it was stolen from. The Scottish Episcopal Church has called on all other artifacts stolen from Africa to be returned; unfortunately, they don't run the British Museum.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 01:27 PM

6. "yeah, that made me think of how my grandmother must feel"
In response to Reply # 3

she's from Axum, she was a small child at the time so I'm not sure if she remembers it, but yeah that feeling runs deep.

SONJEVITY
4478 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 07:15 PM

11. "YOU SHOULD TALK TO HER ABOUT IT..."
In response to Reply # 6

I would be interested in her perspective.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 10:49 PM

12. "she doesn't speak English & I don't speak Tigrinya or Amharic"
In response to Reply # 11

so communicating with her over the phone is kinda difficult

But I'll talk to my dad and my uncle, they both grew up in Axum, I'll let you know their perspective on it after we discuss it.

SONJEVITY
4478 posts
Fri Apr-22-05 01:43 PM

15. "cool!!! thanks n/m"
In response to Reply # 12

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Fri Apr-22-05 09:15 AM

14. "cool"
In response to Reply # 0

MANHOODLUM
Charter member
27788 posts
Sat Apr-23-05 02:12 PM

17. "hooray for the return of AquamansWrath's big, black cock"
In response to Reply # 0

BTWm how do you trace OKP alias bloodlines?

E-Boogs and Nayi

MANHOODLUM
Most sig'd okp.
No Aliases.

MANHOODLUM via Twitter
MANHOODLUM@live.com
MANHOODLUM@yahoo.com
Tommy Moran @ Facebook
MANHOODLUM@tmo.blackberry.net

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Sun Apr-24-05 05:36 PM

18. "i recently chaperoned a field trip to DC for 5th graders (including"
In response to Reply # 0

my son). as we walked past the washington monument i made sure to tell them that it was an obelisk, which was african in origin.

i didn't get all into the fact that george and his boys were masons and appropriated these egyptian/african symbols in an attempt to justify their fraternal orders as related to the kemetan mystery schools, but at least they know. i also mentioned that many of the obelisks were stolen by europeans in various wars and i'm glad that this one is being returned. (i'd read about it before but didn't know if it was back, yet).

peace & blessings,

x.

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all." - Iron Mike

my philosophy on free time:

"and next time when he get it he'll waste it on somethin' useful" - MF Doom

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #30024 Previous topic | Next topic