Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #29555

Subject: "Oprah in the projects???" Previous topic | Next topic
hopnva
Charter member
1527 posts
Thu Mar-24-05 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Oprah in the projects???"

Is this black exploitation?
Do you feel that Oprah is right for doing this?
feel free to express your thoughts and views........

OPRAH MOVES TO THE PROJECTS ... FOR DOCUMENTARY: TV host will spend a month in Chicago public housing.

*Oprah Winfrey has finally jumped onto the reality TV craze. The talk show maven, one of the world’s richest women with a net worth of over $300 million dollars, will put her riches to the side to live for one month in a Chicago high-rise housing project for a reality series on America's inner-city housing crisis, reports WENN.

A spokesperson for Winfrey’s Harpo Productions company told WENN: "She has interviewed just about every major celebrity and done shows on almost every subject imaginable. But now she intends to tackle really tough, serious issues, putting herself right in the front line."

Oprah will bring along some security guards to keep the gawkers at bay during her stay in the building, but the spokesperson adds: "In every other respect she will have to fend for herself, just like the many people who have to live in these sub-standard conditions."

Damn if I know?
"the ghetto code"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
crossing my fingers
Mar 24th 2005
Yeah, she was on it.
Mar 25th 2005
While the projects story is still important to tell
Mar 24th 2005
exactly
Mar 24th 2005
      maybe she's goin there next...
Mar 25th 2005
she picked a fine time to do this
Mar 24th 2005
Good points...nm
Mar 25th 2005
who cares about this neo-coon
Mar 24th 2005
she's neither a coon nor a neo-coon!
Mar 25th 2005
RE: You must be one of those:
Mar 25th 2005
You are TRIPPIN
Mar 25th 2005
Oprah is from the projects
Mar 24th 2005
cosign ....
Mar 26th 2005
RE: Oprah is from the projects
Mar 29th 2005
RE: Oprah in the projects???
Mar 25th 2005
i thought this sounded too good to be true....
Mar 26th 2005
oprah agrees w/ chrisdefendorf that Blacks need Ghetto passes
Mar 25th 2005
OPRAH'S A TOM
Mar 25th 2005
NO YOU'RE A TOM
Mar 25th 2005
      i need more to go on
Mar 25th 2005
           Tom is an OKP NYC_upt_ JUX... ( a fictional charachter)
Mar 26th 2005
                i dont know wut the hell u r sayin
Mar 28th 2005
Mar 25th 2005
Mar 26th 2005
she got hers
Mar 26th 2005
      no she didn't. if she pays taxes NOW.
Mar 26th 2005
      ((_MMMMMMM_)) DROP ??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ((_MMMMMMM_)) DROP ??!?!?!?!?!?!?!...
Mar 28th 2005
      RE: Thank You!!!
Mar 28th 2005
Didn't anyone de-bunk this for yawl?
Mar 26th 2005
Noble idea
Mar 29th 2005

suave_bro
Member since Nov 19th 2002
9433 posts
Thu Mar-24-05 10:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "crossing my fingers"
In response to Reply # 0

oprah didn't shy away from talking about the infant-rape phenomenon in south africa, so maybe she will expose some truths about whats really going on in the projects with this documentary.

SONJEVITY
Member since Nov 07th 2003
4478 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 02:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Yeah, she was on it."
In response to Reply # 1

I hope she does keep it as real as she can.

This should interesting.

---------------------------------------
"We're not weeell...and we cain't teeell" (c) Badu

http://www.myspace.com/sonjevitysgroove

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Thu Mar-24-05 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "While the projects story is still important to tell"
In response to Reply # 0

This is the age of gentrification with poor folks being pushed out to the suburbs... maybe she should spend that month in one of the south suburbs that has received an infusion of former projects inhabitants...

Cre8
Charter member
17379 posts
Thu Mar-24-05 11:05 AM

4. "exactly"
In response to Reply # 2

since the beginning of the voucher program the crime rate in burbs like Harvey and Maywood have skyrocketed. Majority of folks remaining in the pjs are single mothers w/ a bunch of lil kids awaiting an apt w/ at least 4bdrms.

Food/Drink PlayersCookbook Info:
To help: L9 Health Clinic http://www.commongroundrelief.org/node/242
DEADLINE: November 22, 2006
Please submit your recipes to playerscookbook@yahoo.com or inbox and don't forget PHOTOS.

chrisdefendorf
Member since Dec 27th 2004
1731 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 05:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "maybe she's goin there next..."
In response to Reply # 4

one show at a time....

who knows... it would be great if she does both... she's gonna do whatever she's gonna do...

http://profiles.myspace.com/users/10450673

"you fuckers brought chrisdefendorf out of crakctavist. thanksafuckinlot"
-okp rjcc

*chrisdefendorf joins janus on s.i.'s list of 'okps to ignore'

he aint racist. He's far from that- from what I've seen. IMO.

Cre8
Charter member
17379 posts
Thu Mar-24-05 10:57 AM

3. "she picked a fine time to do this"
In response to Reply # 0

all of the pj's in Chicago are marked to be knocked down, save for one which is no longer a project and sits in a $300,000minimum condo area. Most of the pj tenants have been given vouchers to move so its not as overcrowded. More security has been added to a majority of pj's for the sake of gentrification and the building of new townhomes and condos w/in those areas, and due to the fear of losing vouchers, penny drug dealers and other ills have layed low...i.o.w. its not as upfront in your face as say 5-8 yrs ago.

Food/Drink PlayersCookbook Info:
To help: L9 Health Clinic http://www.commongroundrelief.org/node/242
DEADLINE: November 22, 2006
Please submit your recipes to playerscookbook@yahoo.com or inbox and don't forget PHOTOS.

SONJEVITY
Member since Nov 07th 2003
4478 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 03:01 AM

9. "Good points...nm"
In response to Reply # 3

---------------------------------------
"We're not weeell...and we cain't teeell" (c) Badu

http://www.myspace.com/sonjevitysgroove

G_Smooth
Member since Oct 07th 2003
4109 posts
Thu Mar-24-05 11:30 AM

5. "who cares about this neo-coon"
In response to Reply # 0

her wealth again, but she will fail at addressing the social/economic structures of this society.....What's next...she will go live in S.Africa....The white women audience will feel sorry for US and contribute to the Negro College Fund......

chrisdefendorf
1731 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 05:14 AM

12. "she's neither a coon nor a neo-coon!"
In response to Reply # 5

-okp rjcc

rushpac
Charter member
542 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 11:33 AM

14. "RE: You must be one of those:"
In response to Reply # 5

If you black with money, you are a "coon" types. Black folk are hilarious sometimes.

divine_cp
Charter member
322 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 11:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "You are TRIPPIN"
In response to Reply # 5

>her wealth again, but she will fail at addressing the
>social/economic structures of this society.....What's
>next...she will go live in S.Africa....The white women
>audience will feel sorry for US and contribute to the Negro
>College Fund......

Where do you think she came from??? She came from poverty and now you are hating on her efforts to help now that she has money.

Peace to all Originals

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Thu Mar-24-05 11:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Oprah is from the projects"
In response to Reply # 0

The woman wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Deepster
Charter member
1823 posts
Sat Mar-26-05 03:24 PM

20. "cosign ...."
In response to Reply # 6

isnt she from somewhere in alabama though? .... and then she moved to chicago ..... either way, ive heard her upbringing was from an impoverished background ...

> Sig Starts HEre <

http://www.singleparentconnection.net

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT 2008!!

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue Mar-29-05 12:21 PM

30. "RE: Oprah is from the projects"
In response to Reply # 6

She lived on a farm, not in the projects.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oooo baby I like it raw. Oooo baby I like it RAAAW!(c)ODB- Shimmy Shimmy Ya

samsara
Member since Sep 15th 2002
3464 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 02:19 AM

7. "RE: Oprah in the projects???"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,12634157-10229,00.html

this site deleted the original story and replaced it with this one

"i fear no fate" e.e. cummings
"No girl. No fried chicken. I'm going back to get some sleep." - Haruki Murakami

hdub
Member since Oct 19th 2004
3265 posts
Sat Mar-26-05 03:53 PM

21. "i thought this sounded too good to be true...."
In response to Reply # 7

...i mean obviously this hypothetical project had its faults, but it could have been an extremely important project. the mainstream media always shies away from real issues so i dont knwo why i had my hopes up that somethign would come out of this

...(the end)...

chrisdefendorf
1731 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 04:32 AM

10. "oprah agrees w/ chrisdefendorf that Blacks need Ghetto passes"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-25-05 04:34 AM by chrisdefendorf

cause it';s safe to be in the projects if you can afford a lawyer to protect you,

if you caint, the police are looking the other way as you're being fucked with, in that sensing.

That's why she's looking out for her brothers & sisters, looking out for her people.

That's why she's looking out for my brothers and sisters, looking out for my people.

That's why she's looking out for OUR PEOPLE

(MALCOLM X QUOTE: OUR people have a very serious problem).

As Malcolm said, racism in America is a HUMAN problem. It is a Black Problem, it is a white problem, but it';s a problem that affects the world, and is therefore a Human problem.

Al Jarreau sample: "We're in this love together..."

I hope they show some Angry Black people, angry as we saw Black people be toward Reginald Denny when they hit that guy with a brick. America needs to get some Brain Amplification, as addicted to the shit that Americans are.

Go oprah!

UHURU!

I think that Oprah is doing something that is very appropriate.

If you like Oprah, don't say she's ahead of her time, please. She's in the proper time for Oprah, in that sensing. Boyyyeee

"If you say Oprah, proper"
-interpolation of A Tribe Called QUest's "Check the Rhime"

-okp rjcc

NYC upt JUX
Member since Dec 19th 2004
10130 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 05:31 AM

13. "OPRAH'S A TOM"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont dig her at all. she is the ultimate assimalationist, the last thing any kneegrow needs to be. what will come out of this other than a few white women cryin in her audience. with her viewership and platform, maybe influence, where is she on real issues. i mean political issues, issues that challenge the order of the world's society.

i would be much more impressed with oprah if she had a few shows about the death of fred hampton and demand real answers and names into cointelpro. or maybe have a show to shed light on assata shakur. no, she has a show with robbin givins kickin dirt on mike tyson for an hour to show america how crazy a nigger can be.( the givins show was recent, i passed it while turnin the channel from 2-3 am in ny two nites ago).

she is such a part of the establishment, that the only changes if any to come out this will be more shit to keep negroes in their place and that has nuthin to do with money or jobs.

www.hiphopmusic.com

"What I don't like is Negro elders finally taking a stand for cultural ethics by way of Caucasian vomit. What this now shows young people is that white guilt is still more powerful than black unity." - Star

divine_cp
Charter member
322 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "NO YOU'RE A TOM"
In response to Reply # 13

>i dont dig her at all. she is the ultimate assimalationist,
>the last thing any kneegrow needs to be. what will come out
>of this other than a few white women cryin in her audience.
>with her viewership and platform, maybe influence, where is
>she on real issues. i mean political issues, issues that
>challenge the order of the world's society.

Your ignorance is killing me. How do you know what she does, obvisous nothing because you are asking those questions. I mean damn, The Roots, Common, Mos Def and most of these 'conscious' artists have more whites in thier audience then blacks, so have they assimiliated also? Tell me the last time any of those artist through the 10 point program in their songs.

Peace to all Originals

NYC upt JUX
10130 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 12:30 PM

17. "i need more to go on"
In response to Reply # 16

i can't uderdig your reply

www.hiphopmusic.com

"What I don't like is Negro elders finally taking a stand for cultural ethics by way of Caucasian vomit. What this now shows young people is that white guilt is still more powerful than black unity." - Star

chrisdefendorf
1731 posts
Sat Mar-26-05 09:08 PM

24. "Tom is an OKP NYC_upt_ JUX... ( a fictional charachter)"
In response to Reply # 17
Sat Mar-26-05 09:11 PM by chrisdefendorf

If you ad some Integrity and Dignity to that handle/alias you just might not BE a tom.

Perhaps you SHOULD "BE" Tom for 5minutes, so as to understand the fictional character so as to be understanding to actual, 100% Consciousnesses, Divine Human Bredren/Sistren.

And kitties, too.

Why pay for a Pet Rock when you can watch "Bamboozled" for free. look in the MIRROR!!!

-okp rjcc

NYC upt JUX
10130 posts
Mon Mar-28-05 10:31 AM

28. "i dont know wut the hell u r sayin"
In response to Reply # 24

also g.o.m.d. pleez.

www.hiphopmusic.com

chaunceygardiner
Member since Jan 12th 2005
147 posts
Fri Mar-25-05 02:27 PM

18. "RE: Oprah in the projects???"
In response to Reply # 0

Who cares how much money she's got. Unless she's going to use those millions to set up schools, buy books, buy out gun companies, fund computers for kids, educate young women about cherishing thier bodies,

she can eat a dils.

She's the devil. And the pink toes love her.

rhulah
Charter member
4409 posts
Sat Mar-26-05 10:51 AM

19. "RE: Oprah in the projects???"
In response to Reply # 0

Does anyone know, how does Ms. Winfrey feel about "reparations?"

sunngodd
Member since Feb 20th 2003
8324 posts
Sat Mar-26-05 06:22 PM

22. "she got hers"
In response to Reply # 19

------------------------------

“He may be friendly, but he's not your friend." - Malcolm X

chrisdefendorf
1731 posts
Sat Mar-26-05 06:49 PM

23. "no she didn't. if she pays taxes NOW."
In response to Reply # 22

because the tax system NOW keeps the Holocaust going on in Black America, Poor so-called "White Trash" Trailer Parks, Sudan, and Palestine. And among some Jews, too, fortunately and sadly.

And you can't callme Anti-Semitic, beacth, because I KNOW that Arabs are Semites too!!!

To be clear, I'm NOT in anyway advocating the punishment or Killing of anyone when I say fortunately and sadly there are Jews involved inthe current Holocaust.

I say Fortunately, because although tragic, it's ironic that NOW Jews can see that ISRAEL is a racist country against the Palestinians. Not as bad as England, STILL.

"TERMINATOR X is one of the members of the group"
Alan Colmes, from FOX NEWS, currently featured all over Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet", available now in several denominations: CD'S, Cassettes, and VINYL, and Fake UZis
Call your Def/Jam salesperson for your very own ...

((_MMMMMMM_)) DROP ??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"you fuckers brought rjcc out of crakctavist. thanksafuckinlot"
-okp chrisdefendorf, 'welcome to the terabyte'

chrisdefendorf
1731 posts
Mon Mar-28-05 03:15 AM

27. "((_MMMMMMM_)) DROP ??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ((_MMMMMMM_)) DROP ??!?!?!?!?!?!?!..."
In response to Reply # 23

Chris Defendorf: "We're not done!" (sampling KRS-ONE & PUBLIC ENEMY "HIT THE ROAD JACKKK"

Chuck D: "I KNOW we're not done..."

PE REDUCER Hank Shocklee on the words defendorf uses: "inciteful" (C) HS

rushpac
Charter member
542 posts
Mon Mar-28-05 01:48 AM

26. "RE: Thank You!!!"
In response to Reply # 22

chillsm00th
Member since Mar 25th 2005
6177 posts
Sat Mar-26-05 10:38 PM

25. "Didn't anyone de-bunk this for yawl?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-03-23

Correction -- Oprah Not Starring in Reality Series
On Sunday, March 20, WENN released an incorrect story that Oprah Winfrey had agreed to star in a poverty-stricken reality TV series. This report was incorrect and Winfrey has no such plans to do so. We apoligize for any inconvenience.

<--All-American couple

"people on here just be like " go for it man! its sex! god forbid you turn down SEX! *dances around the baal statue*" -- Stephbit

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue Mar-29-05 12:20 PM

29. "Noble idea"
In response to Reply # 0

but I'm not sure what good will come of it. King did this in the 60s, and not much has changed in the inner city of Chicago, since then.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oooo baby I like it raw. Oooo baby I like it RAAAW!(c)ODB- Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #29555 Previous topic | Next topic