Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #26693

Subject: "THE GHANA JOSEPH PROJECT (attention: all diasporic Africans)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Sun Jan-16-05 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"THE GHANA JOSEPH PROJECT (attention: all diasporic Africans)"
Sun Jan-16-05 03:40 PM

Let me know what you think of this and whether 2007 might be the year you finally make it over there, if you haven't been already.

http://www.ghanatourism.gov.gh/main/advertdetail.asp?id=1

(note: I've made spelling and grammar corrections)

The Ghana Joseph Project...

The Ghana Government intends to use the year 2007, 50th Anniversary of the country’s independence, to celebrate African excellence and to inaugurate the Joseph Project. Ghana will use the year to bring together, more closely, people in Ghana and brothers and sister in the Diaspora, and establish herself as the true Homeland for Africans in the Diaspora.

The Genesis

Over almost 400 years, millions of Africans were transported across the Atlantic Ocean from West and Central Africa to the Americas. Almost as many as survived the crossing died during the journey.

The Atlantic Slave Trade remains the greatest example in history of man’s inhumanity to man. The memory of it can never be erased and so many of its negative consequences continue to weaken us today.

Nevertheless, it happened and we are not wise enough to question God’s wisdom about why it happened. However, we believe that the time has come for us to gather some strength from this otherwise cataclysmic event.

Joseph

Those of us who believe this take our inspiration from the story of Joseph in the Bible. For we believe that God loved Joseph and yet saw him cast into the hell of slavery and brought out in triumph, to magnify the scale of his favour.

Genesis 37:28 “Then there passed by Midianites merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit and sold Joseph to the Ishmaelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt”. 45:26-28 “And told him, saying, Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt. And Jacob’s heart fainted, for he believed them not; and they told him all the words of Joseph, which he had said unto them: and when he saw the wagons which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob their father revived; And Israel said, it is enough; Joseph my son is yet alive: I will go and see him before I die”.

Africans in the Diaspora

While it is miserably true that there are far too many Africans held down by the legacy of their chains, it is also true that there are many, like Joseph, who have risen and are shining examples of the best of the human spirit and of what man can achieve. History is replete with the names of those who rose not only above their chains but rose above those who sought to chain them.

Today there are, by God’s will, many such distinguished people so many diverse fields who continue to be held high and to inspire us all.

Ghana the Homeland

Ghana is a nation of similar achievement to those luminaries. Ghana was the first African colony to gain its independence. The Black Star of Africa inspired and drew inspiration from the fight for the full emancipation of Africans in the Americas, especially the Civil Rights struggle in the U.S in the 1950s and 60s.

It is in Ghana that the remains of the late W.E.B. Dubois are interred. Ghana has also struggled and continues to struggle for the full emancipation and dignity of the black race.

Ghana today is a beacon in Africa of good governance: Ghana is the example of the capacity of the African to manage his/her own affairs in a decent, humane, disciplined and respected manner. Ghana is a natural inspiration for African pride.

Ghana is a natural choice to spearhead the research into the slave trade and telling the real story of what happened. From Mauritania to Angola where the slaves were taken, Ghana lies at the centre.

There are some 40 forts, castles and trade posts that were used in the transportation of the slaves still existing in Ghana. Far more in Ghana than in the rest of West and Central Africa combined. Many of those in Ghana are well preserved.

Ghana has dedicated itself to finding out the full story of the evil trade and making sure that this truly African story is told by Africans. Ghana has set up a Multi-Sectoral Committee to research and trace the slave route. There are historians, archaeologists and restorers working together on this. Routes that captives took have been identified, where they bathed, ate, camped, and existed to the Americas.

Why 2007

In addition to being Ghana’s 50th Independence Anniversary, 2007 is also the 200th Anniversary of (1) The Act of March 2nd 1807, passed in the U.S., which forbade trading in slaves with Africa.

The Act of the British parliament in 1807 abolished the Slave Trade with their colonies. This had an immediate impact in South America leading to the trade being declared illegal in Venezuela and Mexico in 1810, Chile and Argentina in 1812. 1807 is thus recognization (a recognizable?) and acceptable date for the abolition of the Atlantic (slave trade).

As every Muslim must visit Mecca at least once in their lifetime so we want to establish a pilgrimage to Ghana, one that every African in the Diaspora must undertake at least once in their lifetime.

For our Pilgrims there will definitely be sadness and anger in the homecoming pilgrimage but yet it will be an upliftment, a catharsis, a self re-discovery – a Strengthening. They will reverse the journey that started with the “Door of No Return”.

Once in Ghana they will retrace the route from the coast to the areas where people were hunted. They will visit the Slave markets, the baths, and the rest stops on the long journey to the slave lodges, forts and castles from where people departed through the “Door of no Return”.

This part will be painful. But we will attempt to lift up hearts.

We will build in one of these slave castles, from which our people were shipped out supposedly never to return, a museum dedicated to those Africans in all walks of life who triumphed over slavery, who triumphed over every diversity, who triumphed and continue to triumph over those who sought to enchain them: - we will build a monument to The True Joseph. At this monument you will relive the story of Mary MacLeod Bethune… (note: I'm thinking they mean to include more names here -Chike)

All those of blessed memory and you will also meet the Josephs of today, those still alive, whose lives are an inspiration to us, whose lives are blazing torches of the true African spirit. Here you will find the inspiration to overcome all of life’s challenges.

Here we will share the strength and power and inspiration of those who rose to triumph.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
that's tight
Jan 16th 2005
No problem
Jan 16th 2005
in short...
Jan 16th 2005
      I'm already feeling strong admiration
Jan 16th 2005
           thanks n/m
Jan 16th 2005
financing?
Jan 21st 2005
this is good for ghana
Jan 16th 2005
I can support this
Jan 16th 2005
up
Jan 17th 2005
This sounds like a great idea
Jan 18th 2005
Hey you... no problem :)
Jan 18th 2005
i've been wanting to go
Jan 18th 2005
RE: i've been wanting to go
Jan 18th 2005
Something else to consider: FIHANKRA INTERNATIONAL
Jan 18th 2005
I'm not sure how I feel about living in...
Jan 18th 2005
      RE: I'm not sure how I feel about living in...
Jan 18th 2005
           So Maia
Jan 18th 2005
                i'm actually considering
Jan 21st 2005
                     RE: i'm actually considering
Jan 21st 2005
                          that's quite a ways away...
Jan 21st 2005
                               this is what I thought...
Jan 22nd 2005
my name is joseph
Jan 19th 2005
Heard about this
Jan 19th 2005
RE: Heard about this
Jan 20th 2005
so who is SERIOUS?
Jan 21st 2005
lol
Jan 21st 2005
but are you?
Feb 09th 2005
what about Ghanaians in America? lol...
Jan 21st 2005
who have never yet been home?
Jan 21st 2005
you know how much $3,500 US is in Ghana???
Jan 22nd 2005
I've seriously given a thought to dual citizenship.
Mar 05th 2005

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Sun Jan-16-05 03:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "that's tight"
In response to Reply # 0

2007 was my personal deadline for establishing my business plans in east africa. i was leaning towards Ethiopia, Kenya, or Burundi, but not really fixated with any one place. i hadn't really considered ghana or any west african countries, but its something to keep in mind. thanks for the heads up

_¸»¬æ¤º²°¯¯°²º¤æ¬«SiG»¬æ¤º²°¯¯°²º¤æ¬«¸_

“Stand out firmly for Justice as witness before God, even against yourselves, against your kin and against your parents, against people who are rich or poor. Do not follow your inclinations or desires lest you deviate from Justice. Remember, God is the best of Protectors and well acquainted with all that you do.”
-Qur’an 4:135

"Don't be deceived when they tell you things are better now. Even if there's no poverty to be seen because the poverty's been hidden. Even if you ever got more wages and could afford to buy more of these new and useless goods which industries foist on you and even if it seems to you that you never had so much, that is only the slogan of those who still have much more than you. Don't be taken in when they paternally pat you on the shoulder and say that there's no inequality worth speaking of and no more reason to fight because if you believe them they will be completely in charge in their marble homes and granite banks from which they rob the people of the world under the pretence of bringing them culture. Watch out, for as soon as it pleases them they'll send you out to protect their gold in wars whose weapons, rapidly developed by servile scientists, will become more and more deadly until they can with a flick of the finger tear a million of you to pieces."
--Jean Paul Marat, 18th Century French Visionary (and revolutionary), murdered in his bathtub by Royalist Charlotte Corday

www.supportblackowned.org

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Sun Jan-16-05 03:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "No problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Wanna share a bit more what these plans are?

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Sun Jan-16-05 03:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "in short..."
In response to Reply # 2

the plan is to provide renewable energy solutions for residential, commercial, and government establishments.

“Stand out firmly for Justice as witness before God, even against yourselves, against your kin and against your parents, against people who are rich or poor. Do not follow your inclinations or desires lest you deviate from Justice. Remember, God is the best of Protectors and well acquainted with all that you do.”

"Don't be deceived when they tell you things are better now. Even if there's no poverty to be seen because the poverty's been hidden. Even if you ever got more wages and could afford to buy more of these new and useless goods which industries foist on you and even if it seems to you that you never had so much, that is only the slogan of those who still have much more than you. Don't be taken in when they paternally pat you on the shoulder and say that there's no inequality worth speaking of and no more reason to fight because if you believe them they will be completely in charge in their marble homes and granite banks from which they rob the people of the world under the pretence of bringing them culture. Watch out, for as soon as it pleases them they'll send you out to protect their gold in wars whose weapons, rapidly developed by servile scientists, will become more and more deadly until they can with a flick of the finger tear a million of you to pieces."
--Jean Paul Marat, 18th Century French Visionary (and revolutionary), murdered in his bathtub by Royalist Charlotte Corday

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Sun Jan-16-05 03:58 PM

4. "I'm already feeling strong admiration"
In response to Reply # 3

I very much look forward to seeing how your willingness to help the Continent is received, wherever you first make headway.

zewari
Charter member
7113 posts
Sun Jan-16-05 04:27 PM

6. "thanks n/m"
In response to Reply # 4

GdChil1
Member since Dec 05th 2003
14709 posts
Fri Jan-21-05 06:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "financing?"
In response to Reply # 1

where would you gain financing from?

Wow, my login still works 🤦ðŸ¾â€â™‚ï¸

raool
Member since Jul 10th 2002
12355 posts
Sun Jan-16-05 04:05 PM

5. "this is good for ghana"
In response to Reply # 0

great marketing...

www.port-morgan.com
www.madeinmtl.com
www.darfurinfo.org

Mau777
Charter member
2780 posts
Sun Jan-16-05 08:01 PM

7. "I can support this"
In response to Reply # 0

Had plans on living there around then.

I remember about 6 or 7 years ago, this cat i knew said the Ghanaen government was calling for African Americans to come and build homes and businesses in Ghana and they would receive dual citizenship. That cat bounced out and i hadn't seen him since. You know anything about that?

RealTalkInfinite

---
If you release what is within u, what u release will save you. If you do not release what is within u, what u do not release will destroy u.

www.pitchblackgold.bandcamp.com

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Mon Jan-17-05 08:56 PM

8. "up"
In response to Reply # 0

I say.

karimah
Charter member
572 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 04:20 AM

9. "This sounds like a great idea"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll definiteley consider going for that time
Thanks for the info

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hit me up on myspace http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7764677
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.weareomniverse.com

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 08:13 AM

11. "Hey you... no problem :)"
In response to Reply # 9

How have you been? That visit was pure good times... nuff memories.

And hey, daughter of a Ghanaian, you should get home faster than that!

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 04:34 AM

10. "i've been wanting to go"
In response to Reply # 0

for years....

hopefully by '07 i'll have the means to do so.

~~~~
"Terrorism is only the privatization of war. Terrorists are the free marketeers of war. They believe that the legitimate use of violence is not the sole prerogative of the state." ~Arundhati Roy

strivin for self-determination since 1978

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 08:13 AM

12. "RE: i've been wanting to go"
In response to Reply # 10

indeed.

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 08:16 AM

13. "Something else to consider: FIHANKRA INTERNATIONAL"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.fihankrainternational.org/

Fellow Diasporans Worldwide,

You can acquire free land in Ghana! Not since the days of the Honorable Marcus Garvey, and those he inspired, such as Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's first President, has there been a more concerted effort by Diasporans to repatriate to Africa and make concrete contributions toward its development.

In Ghana, Fihankra International, an organization representing you has acquired a large tract of land that is now making available free to Diasporans who wish to relocate to Ghana.

Currently, houses and a civic complex are being built, periodic medical clinics are operating, farm projects are underway, and traditional institutions are being reconstituted. All designed to accomplish Fihankra's objective in Africa of building "A Way Back Home."

All of this has evolved from an historic pre-dawn which occured on 9 December 1994 in Accra, Ghana.

On that day more than 3,000 persons including, Diasporans, Chiefs from Ghana and Nigeria and dignitaries from near and far, assembled in the forecourt of the palace of the Jamestown Mantse (Chief of Jamestown) to conduct and bear witness to the historic ceremony now known as the "Purification of FIHANKRA".

The ceremony, which consisted of the ritual cleansing of two articles of African traditional authority, a specially carved stool and the skin of an animal, (both used for sitting), was conducted to atone (apologize) for the complicity of those past African Chiefs who promoted the trans-Atlantic slave trade. At the conclusion of this unprecedented atonement ceremony the newly purified stool and skin were surrendered to my custodianship on behalf of Diasporans worldwide, all of whom then customarily became Citizens of FIHANKRA.

The developments which followed the Purification of FIHANKRA, including the 1995 seven-city tour of the United States by a sixteen-member delegation of Chiefs and Queenmothers to explain the cultural and historic significance of FIHANKRA, the subsequent offer to Diasporans of more than 30,000 acres of land for resettlement and development, the various planned community construction projects including a day-care and library as well as Fihankra's international headquarters and the opening of branch offices on three continents are eloquent testimony to the history-making impact of FIHANKRA since its inception.

In the months ahead, Fihankra will continue building, from the ground up, a model community in Ghana, West Africa; inclusive of educational, medical, agricultural and cultural institutions.

We appeal to you to take this opportunity to join the growing number of Fihankra members, other Diasporans and Africans from the continent to dedicate some of your time and resources to guarantee that Fihankra programs are successful and benefit us all.

As you preview this site you will find many features that will be of interest to you, including:

How to acquire land or purchase a house in the Rosa Parks and Marcus Garvey neighborhood currently under construction;
How you may participate in the unique, personalized "Heritage Wall of Respect" project;
Information on how to become the lucky winner of a two-week visit to Ghana;
Details on how you may acquire published information on the continued work of Fihankra worldwide, and more.

Finally, it is my wish, that this site will inform you, as well as appeal to your sense of commitment to yourself, your family and the future.

On behalf of all Fihankra Citizens I want to thank you in advance for your kind support.

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 08:18 AM

14. "I'm not sure how I feel about living in..."
In response to Reply # 13

distinctly Diasporan neighbourhoods. Doesn't it defeat the purpose a little bit? Weigh in, people.

Mslibrar
Member since Nov 13th 2003
21227 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 10:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "RE: I'm not sure how I feel about living in..."
In response to Reply # 14

>distinctly Diasporan neighbourhoods. Doesn't it defeat the
>purpose a little bit? Weigh in, people.

thats what I was thinkin, its i good start tho!

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 01:33 PM

16. "So Maia"
In response to Reply # 15

wanna hit up Ghana in 07 with me?

GdChil1
14709 posts
Fri Jan-21-05 06:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "i'm actually considering"
In response to Reply # 16

an consulting gig over there...but i'm assuming this new area would be nowhere near Accra?

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Fri Jan-21-05 07:17 AM

24. "RE: i'm actually considering"
In response to Reply # 22

http://www.fihankrainternational.org/land.html

1 hr 15 min

Foneticcus
Charter member
10424 posts
Fri Jan-21-05 01:28 PM

25. "that's quite a ways away..."
In response to Reply # 24

over an hr from where all the action is.

===========================

"Pimping ain't art...but grabbing guns is?!"
(c) Menphyel

"I've come to realise that I never loved Hip-Hop as a whole,
just a particular era that happened at the same time as
I was actively checking actively for new music."

GdChil1
14709 posts
Sat Jan-22-05 05:39 PM

29. "this is what I thought..."
In response to Reply # 25

because i've been told bordering Accra is a very expansive slum/shanty town area

ummah1421
Charter member
5479 posts
Wed Jan-19-05 08:29 AM

17. "my name is joseph"
In response to Reply # 0

do i get ot go for free?

http://instagram.com/schemeofthings

Blackmagicallydelicious
Charter member
9576 posts
Wed Jan-19-05 01:24 PM

18. "Heard about this"
In response to Reply # 0

There's also going to be a formal apology this August in Ghana from that country and several others that will be accepted by Jaramogi Kimanthi of the Pan-African Orthodox Christian Church (btw, my church). I'm trying to go for that, but if not, I'm making the trip in '07.

"Slaves have options. There's escape, revolt, or death. But for cowards, there's only consequences..."--from Passing Strange

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Thu Jan-20-05 12:43 PM

19. "RE: Heard about this"
In response to Reply # 18

nice

Where is this church?

emil
Charter member
10566 posts
Fri Jan-21-05 06:21 AM

20. "so who is SERIOUS?"
In response to Reply # 0

yaw be talkin real good like....

i'd like to start a bamboo plantation there.

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Fri Jan-21-05 07:14 AM

23. "lol"
In response to Reply # 20

who said that?

Most people have reacted the same way I did: "I wanted to go anyway... shooting for 2007 sounds like a good plan."

GdChil1
14709 posts
Wed Feb-09-05 11:01 AM

30. "but are you?"
In response to Reply # 20

Foneticcus
Charter member
10424 posts
Fri Jan-21-05 01:28 PM

26. "what about Ghanaians in America? lol..."
In response to Reply # 0

*raises hand*

this is interesting.

===========================

"Pimping ain't art...but grabbing guns is?!"
(c) Menphyel

"I've come to realise that I never loved Hip-Hop as a whole,
just a particular era that happened at the same time as
I was actively checking actively for new music."

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Fri Jan-21-05 02:39 PM

27. "who have never yet been home?"
In response to Reply # 26

You all don't have an excuse for not visiting yet.

GdChil1
14709 posts
Sat Jan-22-05 05:37 PM

28. "you know how much $3,500 US is in Ghana???"
In response to Reply # 0

31,326,750...i'm weary of that downpayment because that can buy you a whole damn village damn near in most parts of Ghana.

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Sat Mar-05-05 08:35 AM

31. "I've seriously given a thought to dual citizenship."
In response to Reply # 0

this is interesting.

time passes, you get so you
depend on 'em. That's
"institutionalized."

Red, The Shawshank Redemption.

"Slaves got options...cowards aint got shit." --PS
"Once upon a time, little need existed for making the distinction between a nigga and a black—at least not in this country, the place where niggas were invented" -- Donnell A

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #26693 Previous topic | Next topic