Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #24698

Subject: "Earth conscious?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Fri Apr-14-00 02:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Earth conscious?"

Do you recycle? Buy recycled products? Turn off lights? Stop water from just running (like when you are brushing your teeth, shaving)? Just asking...

What it being done politically to encourage more companies/industries to become more earth conscious? For example, is any pressure being exerted on the automotive industry to use recyclable fuel sources and non-pollutants (such as hemp oil and electricity)? Just asking...

don't be fkn evil.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Earth conscious?
Apr 14th 2000
the auto industry...
Apr 14th 2000
Earth day!
Wise_7
Apr 17th 2000
No one cares about the earth?
Apr 18th 2000
RE: Earth conscious?
Apr 18th 2000
good points about the envr and govt
May 01st 2000
      Actually
May 02nd 2000
i LOVE the earth yo!
Apr 19th 2000
up
Apr 19th 2000
Earth conscious?
Apr 24th 2000
i recycle everything
Apr 24th 2000
Can we recycle land?
Apr 27th 2000
we already do
Apr 28th 2000
      RE: we already do
May 03rd 2000
           forests
May 03rd 2000
                eff a developer
May 26th 2000

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Apr-14-00 05:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Earth conscious?"
In response to Reply # 0

An even bigger question is whether it is really possible to get folk to pay attention to the Earth around them when it affects the amount of $$$ they can put in their pocket.

Cigarettes kill. Everybody knows that, but that doesn't stop folks from making billions. Gas prices are ridiculously high, are we looking for cheaper fuel sources? Not really. We stress the importance of quality education for our childeren, but how many would agree to an increase in taxes to pay more to teachers?

The list goes on...

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
Help BooDaah STAY the Moderator for the OkayActivism Board....

Fill Angiee's Mailbox full of requests for me (HAHA she'll LOOOOVE THAT!!!)

How's THAT for pandering HMMMM???

the_fifth
Charter member
7346 posts
Fri Apr-14-00 05:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "the auto industry..."
In response to Reply # 0

is making an effort to make less polluting vehicles, unfortunately the vehicles that are most popular right now are the damn SUV's, but there are companiesthat should be applauded for their efforts, like Honda, for making the Insight(a hybrid, gas & electric), as well as having a large line of ULEV's (ultra low emission vehicle), but every american distributed automaker is being forced to have an electirc vehicle on sale in california by, i beleive it's 2003, but i'm not sure. As for me, well two years ago i worked for an outdoor Education camp, teaching kids about nature, and how to help conserve and recycle, now i take mass transit to my job, and try to bring lunch whenever possible, good post, welcome to OKAYActivism people! thanks ang, newguy and boodah

RIP Alexus (aka erin)

member of SPAS, soon to be Vp, lol

member of A.A. - officially formed in the early hours of April 9, 2000

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

"I lecture about how i got God but don't got religion..." -common

Celebrating April as wack quote month
"Wake up!!! take the pillow from your head and put a book in it!" - KRS0-ONE

"Rest in peace, move in passion." -Khalil Gibran

APPLY LIBERALLY!!!!!

My homepage:
http://members.blackplanet.com/ugetme/

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Henry Roberts

Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers

Wise_7

Mon Apr-17-00 03:39 AM

3. "Earth day!"
In response to Reply # 0

It's real sad that we have only 1 day to "do positive stuff" for the Earth.
Not that it's the only day we can do things, but mst people don't think about the Earth on a regular basis.

"nawI'msayin,....nawImean!?"- Black thought

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Tue Apr-18-00 10:18 AM

4. "No one cares about the earth?"
In response to Reply # 0

up......

don't be fkn evil.

kec
Charter member
24829 posts
Tue Apr-18-00 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: Earth conscious?"
In response to Reply # 0

I do all of thee above. Also as a graduate student in env. policy and natural resource management, I can tell you there are a lot of laws and regulations out to control the industry...ie.

Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, RECRA and a lot of other progams that drop emmission levels etc. However, as some of you might know a lot of the enforcement and policies are political driven. Nevertheless, there are a lot of compliancy rules and regulations that companies and different industries have to abide by.

one
kEc
change is inevitable...

http://illkec.wordpress.com/

phalnangel
Charter member
6 posts
Mon May-01-00 09:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "good points about the envr and govt"
In response to Reply # 5

CAA, CWA, RCRA, etc. are all good, but theyre still political. i wrote in another post that the EPA, for as much good as it does, is as weak as it can get away with, because the govt is a business. thats why we have the "independent" envr lobby, the sierra club, greenpeace, etc.
we make too much money off industries that dont do enough of whats right, but whats legal to make stiffer laws/penalties when it comes to the envr.

the suvs are supposed to be hit w. tougher envr standards, and that cost is to trickle down to the consumer, as it should (in my opinion)
they do more damage to the envr, and as theyve increased in popularity, the globe is paying the price. if you wanna drive one, be prepared to fork out the extra change (im not certain how much more it will be, i think that depends partly on location)

there are small things we can all do, though. one of my more recent recycling efforts is grocery store bags. i pick paper and use the same bags until they tear.

sorta off the subject, but lets get together and plan a community clean up day!!!

keep the faith
share the wealth
give the love
~b.

"how you gonna have a multiracial country but monoracial leadership?"
-readers digest (paraphrased)

"our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. we ask ourselves, who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? actually, who are you not to be? you are a child of God. your playing small does not serve the world. there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people wont feel insecure around you. we were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. it is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. as we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-maryann williamson, "returning to love"

kec
Charter member
24829 posts
Tue May-02-00 06:22 AM

13. "Actually"
In response to Reply # 12

Since I go to school and will be working in the public sector, I have to say that I trust the government a little better than I do these "independent" groups such as the ones you mentioned. The people who lobby for these causes are the ones who give big to campaigns and have personal agendas that for the majority do not emcompass aiding and helping everyone and people of color in particular. The term "environmental racism" is fairly new and the environmental battle has for the most part been dominated by rich white people. It wasn't until the 70's that you had grassroots groups steppin gup at the same time these groups with the NIMBY mentality still focused on middle class white.

Nevertheless, the point I was trying to get across was that the government gets a bad rap. I personally had a lot of conflicts and I'm still weary of the system. However, off teh past 3 years a lot of changes have been made and the older people with the whacked mentality on changes and shit are reaching retirement age. You have more young innovated people coming in with the a better grasp of how to implement change. Anyway, I just had to give some props to the gov. there are a lot of different ones outside of the EPA which is in need of reconstruction.

one
kEc
change is inevitable...

unity
Charter member
7184 posts
Wed Apr-19-00 05:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "i LOVE the earth yo!"
In response to Reply # 0

for real, this is an important topic. in my family we have always stressed the importance of conserving our precious resources, however many of my peers do not seem to share these values. thanks for posting on this issue blue tiger--okayplayers need to be okayrecyclers and whatnot

perhaps we can start generating a list of things that folks can do to help "save the earth"

here's a start:

1. recycle bottles (most grocerie stores will do this)

2. recycle newspapers

and the list goes on...

"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth."
--Baha'u'llah

---
http://beantownbrown.blogspot.com/
http://www.itsjusthair.com/
http://twitter.com/indigginus
http://bahai.us/

emil
Charter member
10566 posts
Wed Apr-19-00 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "up"
In response to Reply # 0

more later....

http://www.geocities.com/originalbluepeanut/

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Mon Apr-24-00 12:04 PM

8. "Earth conscious?"
In response to Reply # 0

Up!!!!!

don't be fkn evil.

emil
Charter member
10566 posts
Mon Apr-24-00 12:38 PM

9. "i recycle everything"
In response to Reply # 0

plastic, paper, aluminum, steel, eating utensils, whatever. also, i try to ride my bike when possible, or even walk. i try to buy recycled products as well as foods grown or raised using sustainable practices.

e

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Thu Apr-27-00 08:52 PM

10. "Can we recycle land?"
In response to Reply # 0

Instead of urban sprawl, strip malls, cut and paste suburbia, "business" centers, or basic effing parking lots, why don't we use the land? We devalue land (living spaces) so quickly, just based on the almighty dollar. Why is the ghetto a ghetto at all? Have we not ethics when we rape mother earth? (sarcasm intended).....

don't be fkn evil.

kec
Charter member
24829 posts
Fri Apr-28-00 11:42 AM

11. "we already do"
In response to Reply # 10

In case you didn't know there are various programs sponsored by the government that "recyles" land thru various ways. Brownfields is a big part of that program. And areas are not always redevoloped to make ay for a big shopping mall or development. Gardens are built, wet lands etc. I just did a webpage for class on Brownfields youare welcome to look for more info. Plus Ilisted the link to all the class projects that might be of interest to you all.

http://www.spea.indiana.edu/Richardsv625home/groups.htm

one
kEc
change is inevitable...

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Wed May-03-00 11:41 AM

14. "RE: we already do"
In response to Reply # 11

That's cool kec. How can we stop clearcutting of forests, etc that just make way for that new strip mall, parking lot, or apartment complex (All of which bring pollution to a previously necessary oxygen producing environment)?

don't be fkn evil.

emil
Charter member
10566 posts
Wed May-03-00 01:36 PM

15. "forests"
In response to Reply # 14

the only real way to keep forests from being developed is to have money-money to buy them from big developers and real estate hawks. that's how they're attempting to save the amazon rainforest-huge non-profits and philanthropists are buying up acres to keep them protected.

here in the states it's the same way. julia "butterfly" hill recently paid $50,000 to save a millenia old redwood/sequioa (i forget which) and the surrounding trees. sad to say but that's one area money holds more sway than anything else. of course, the government has lots of land but lots of folks want it open to the public, which often-times is detrimental to the ecosystems.

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Fri May-26-00 02:54 PM

16. "eff a developer"
In response to Reply # 15

I realize that $$$ makes the difference here, but I was hoping that there might be another way to combat the problem.

don't be fkn evil.

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #24698 Previous topic | Next topic