Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #24528

Subject: "African women (our struggle and victory)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Sun May-28-00 04:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"African women (our struggle and victory)"

I have been sitting here for about three hours trying to figure out how the hell I’m gonna single handedly inform and re-cultivate the entire population of African women. I come up for air from my long soak in the waters of frustration only to conclude that if I think this task is possible I might as well save myself the trouble and drown. I do understand that it took me a certain amount of time to attain all that I have and it goes without saying that I haven’t reached my final destination. I cannot say that I have arrived, because that would mean that I have no further miles to travel mountains to climb, nor journeys to embark on. However I am aware of my position, and that there is a path for me to follow, and what the ultimate goal is in my development

I wake up every morning revived from rest, inspired by the sunrise and I venture out with newfound hope. But as I observe what’s going on around me a certain familiar pain and disappointment began to envelop me. I turn on the TV (which is something I do with very low expectations) and see sistahs not even near the lowest standard of what a woman should exemplify. I look in the magazines and I loose my appetite. I look in the newspaper and tears start to form. I go outside and I am forced to combat the glares of competition, low self-esteem, ignorance, self-hate, fear and apathy coming from my very own sistahs. I can continue to testify and vent but I will use that energy to say this. The thing that throws me in such a way when I see all of these images isn’t the fact that I am looking at somebody I care for, or that I wanna see succeed (which I am). Or the fact that I worry about the future of my children if this continues to persist. It goes way deeper than that what and many people have failed to understand when I try to explain my commitment to my people (my sistahs in particular) is that when I look into the eyes of the desolate and misguided I see myself. When I turn on the television to these oh so very infamous music videos that feature royalty in harlots clothing I see what I have become and the vast struggle that waits in my future. I cannot just sit on my thrown… or even make way to it for that matter knowing that far behind me traveling in the opposite direction is the sistah that I see when I look in the mirror, on TV, in the streets and everywhere else.

When are we gonna reclaim our thrown is what I continuously ask indirectly but I never get an answer because so many of us don’t even know that it awaits. There are so many misunderstandings and misconceptions when it comes to the way that we define ourselves as people and especially as women.
This is the topic for the next issue of my newsletter (ALIVE) "the queen reclaims her thrown". I believe that if I can constantly hear and witness my very essence being maligned and misrepresented, then I can display, testify, explain, affirm and exemplify the true definition of a what a woman was still is underneath all of the dis(ease and denial will continue to be.

As a part of the renewal we must first examine the given definitions of women and womanhood. So Webster says:
Woman
1. An adult female human being
2. A female servant
3. Possessing feminine like qualities

Its obvious that those who have manifested these definitions did not value nor have the correct understanding of what a woman truly is. Now as I read this I wonder what words and images others use to describe and define womanhood. So just out of curiosity, I ask what words come to mind when you are asked to define women?

(Everyday I will post something else pertaining to this topic. Sometimes asking for question and or thought, and other times using this forum as an out line for my newsletter… your feedback will be of tremendous help and obviously is appreciated but will not determine the progress of purpose of this)

Peace

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

with each word you manifest reality...
speech is by nature and must continue to be divine.

Limitations are self manifested...

perfection changes daily as revolutions continously take place...

-Amina

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: African women (our struggle and victory)
May 28th 2000
peace sis
May 29th 2000
      RE: peace sis
caramel deluxe
May 29th 2000
May 29th 2000
           jumpin outah my fuckin skin over here
May 29th 2000
May 29th 2000
definition of a woman
May 29th 2000
RE: definition of a woman
May 30th 2000
May 30th 2000
May 30th 2000
mzilakazi
May 30th 2000
           I understand your frustration
May 30th 2000
Define Sisterhood
May 31st 2000
RE: Define Sisterhood
May 31st 2000
      yup
May 31st 2000
RE: African women (our struggle and victory)
RudeGirl/Virgo
Jun 03rd 2000

beautifulpeace
Charter member
2363 posts
Sun May-28-00 08:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: African women (our struggle and victory)"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah girl, I know exactly what you mean. It's sad as hell when you look around and all you see are vengeful competitive women, women only looking for the cutest men with the best bodies with no sense of self empowerment or desire to be next to God on their minds. Although i see all this, I still can't solely point the finger. I too can be jealous when I see young attractive men and the women they look at are the ones with the tight pants and the cleavage hanging out. So man, how can I continually love my sister when all they talk about is men and what man they're going home with tonight? I fight not to be judgemental but it's really hard though when you see women wasting their lives on "finding them a nigga" (Have you heard foxy brown's excerpt on "Thong Song"---horrible). It's sad to say that black women are not seen as intelligent or worthy because of the way that we present ourselves. In the song's nowadays we're either bitches or hoes (and I'm still bothered by the reference to women as bitches on Com's album too).

What words would I use to define womanhood. I'm not sure but the first thing that comes to mind is Proverbs 31(The wife of noble character). Not trying to be all religious or nothing, but I think that that defines a beautiful, responsible woman to a T. To me a woman is one who is open, not afraid to be vulnerable, but also incredibly strong at the same time. One who is concerned with truth instead of protocols, and has a desire to grow instead of sticking with what's mainstream.

When I think of some more, I'll ya back.

"Seems like everybody's lost their minds/ and I just might be the next one in line" - Amel Larrieux

"Who loves ya baby? Nobody like Jackie-O...cook, clean, break up ya weed, and I give ya nasty throat"

"When a guy fingers a lady and then smells, licks, sucks the juice off his finger and sighs as if in heaven, she knows this is her lucky day"

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Mon May-29-00 05:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "peace sis"
In response to Reply # 1

I understand what you talking bout when you say its hard to point fingers. so heres how I see it...
I know its often hard when you are already placed in a position to compete with other sistahs for the attention of brothss, status, and just about eveything else. this factor makes it so difficult to be the one who steps back and looks and says... well I know this aint correct and although its hard Im gonna be an example for my sistahs.. and ultimately when we rise the brothas have no choice.
when you let your light shine everyone will be drawn to you sistahs and brothas included. it may sound unrealistic sometimes but trust me its been proven on history.

and if we didnt present ourselves in the ways that we did brothas wouldnt accept it either. the standard of beauty must change in out minds first becuse we originally defined it and little in many ways we still do
Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

-Amina

caramel deluxe

Mon May-29-00 01:51 PM

3. "RE: peace sis"
In response to Reply # 2

What words come to my mind when I think of womanhood.

1. Respect ( giving and receiving from everyone I come across)
2. Loving
3. Dignity( a lot of sisters are lacking this)
4. Beauty (inner)
5. Peacemaker
6. Kindness
7. Intelligent
8. Keeper of the moral standard
9. Inner strength
10. Self-Sufficiency ( something my daddy taught me)

brzlngrl
Charter member
137 posts
Mon May-29-00 07:18 PM

4. "RE: peace sis"
In response to Reply # 3

when i think of woman...i think of...the undefinable balance of these and then some...

beauty (inner as well as outer in physical form)
intelligence
infinite (possibilities)
all-encompassing
omni-potent
luminous
tranquil
outspoken
determined
nurturing
respect
demanding, but giving
dignity
teachers (not just as an occupation)
sensitive
erotic
kinetic
strong
elegance
warm
gentle
passionate

and many many more...we are all encompassing...full of so much potential, the problem lies in sistas who are not aware, and have noone to teach them or show them their individual inner cultivation, from mother-like or father-like figures...and in speaking of young people my age, (19) and older...we have men, brothas, who do not show us the respect we deserve, making us feel inferior..raping us of our intergrity..and when it is never there to begin with...they are life-less...without passion, ambition, or desires...many live in the bliss of ignorance, not participating in the fight, or struggle because they know not of it...and also, because they are not taught properly..of their capabilities and what they ought to demand...equality..equal respect...this is a main goal..that is reached individually and as a group...but, they lack the heart and sufficient knowledge of self..all feminists and womanists are gay, don't shave...and are angry..it has to stop here..it should start at home...community centers, to go and talk to these young sistas, that have no one to encourage them to reach their aspirations..to set realistic expectations, so that do not internalize failure..know their self worth...one young girl...that is a first success, and then more and more...and if women, i believe, demanded more respect..and that would have to be a complete cooperation beyond color, occupational, religious, sexual lines then we could get somewhere...but, i do believe as a black woman (i am a womanist) there are certain racial aspects that do come first, but, that doesn't mean i could not help out young sistas realize their potential, we have waited long enough (too fucking long), we deserve first place on an agenda...and certainly on my personal agenda...

nubia: i am with you and reclaiming the throne, there are things i still need to learn about myself and others..let me know what's up sista...

tchau..amor y paz..

"revolution is not only won by numbers, but by visionaries, and if artists aren;t visionaries, then we have no business doing what we do."
cherrie moraga

visit..http://www.blumagazine.net

"passion is not friendly. it is arrogant, superbly contemptous of all that is not itself, and, as the very definition of passion implies the impulse to freedom, it has a mighty intimidating power. it contains a challenge. it contains an unspeakable hope." james baldwin

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Mon May-29-00 11:52 PM

6. "jumpin outah my fuckin skin over here"
In response to Reply # 4

first of all much respect...
I am so used ta dealing with sistahs who have no emotion when it comes to thier own state of emergency and to see you with so much of it.... even evident in just the words you type brings much joy to this heart of mine

>when i think of woman...i think
>of...the undefinable balance of these
>and then some...

my point exactly

SIS I hadnt even peeped urs then I posted mine and to see that we have some of the same words just means that we are evidence of posibilty

>we are all
>encompassing...full of so much potential,
>the problem lies in sistas
>who are not aware, and
>have noone to teach them

yep... its a vicous cycle cuzz they have babaies that will feed off the same ignorance and miseducation that they do

>young people my age, (19)

I am 19 also... this disease unfortunetly ranges from conception to death... there is no age limit on confusion

>we have men, brothas,
>who do not show us
>the respect we deserve,

because they have none for themselves
its evident and obvious

>making us feel inferior..raping us of
>our intergrity..and when it is
>never there to begin with
exactly cuzz if it was noone would be able to posses or sway it

>are life-less...without passion, ambition, or
>desires...many live in the bliss
>of ignorance, not participating in
>the fight, or struggle because
>they know not of it...and
>also, because they are not
>taught properly..of their capabilities and
>what they ought to demand...equality..equal
>respect...this is a main goal..that
>is reached individually and as
>a group...but, they lack the
>heart and sufficient knowledge of
>self..

this is were it all lies thats why the these sistahs out here makin babies are puttin us in such a slump... they abuse thier womb and gift to give life... which ultimately results in the destruction of our people

>all feminists and womanists are
>gay, don't shave...and are angry..it
>has to stop here..

man Im glad you feel me... femenism isnt the damn answer aint nuthin natural or productiive about hatin men.... yes I said it we need men and men need us... thats the way of nature... but this is only to a certain degree... once we abuse our harmomy with the opposite sex... most times neglecting ourself and children... this is when the problems start

>it should
>start at home...community centers, to
>go and talk to these
>young sistas, that have no
>one to encourage them to

this is were we step in
this is a fight and struggle for all ages
we can learn as we teach and teach as we learn
I need ta know where you located because I am a part of a rights of passage (pan Africanist nationalist) organization.... and we focus on the development of our people whether it be individually or on a communal and national level
this is in Cali by the way

>have to be a complete
>cooperation beyond color, occupational, religious,
>sexual lines then we could
>get somewhere...but, i do believe
>as a black woman (i
>am a womanist) there are
>certain racial aspects that do
>come first, but, that doesn't
>mean i could not help

true... I say African women cuzz thats who I know about thats what I am but all women are sacred and they need ta know about it

>we have waited long
>enough (too fucking long), we
>deserve first place on an
>agenda...and certainly on my personal
>agenda...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!
im gettin excited because its just so hard when dont nobody hear you... but when they do its the best feeling

>nubia: i am with you and
>reclaiming the throne, there are
>things i still need to
>learn about myself and others..let
>me know what's up sista...

Get at me sis
wordsdivine@hotmail.com Im down ta build no doubt about it
I have much info and many resources in many areas just let me know

>"revolution is not only won by
>numbers, but by visionaries, and
>if artists aren;t visionaries, then
>we have no business doing
>what we do."
>cherrie moraga

that is so true

Peace

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

-Amina

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Mon May-29-00 11:54 PM

7. "RE: peace sis"
In response to Reply # 3

when we define ourselves it should be like an affirmation... the qualities you list are what a woman is or has the potential to be
and by the way you have a smart daddy
thanks
Peace

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

-Amina

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Mon May-29-00 11:23 PM

5. "definition of a woman"
In response to Reply # 0

although no European words can describe what a woman means to me I will do use try and pinpoint my sentiment
cuzz somethings are just undescribable
in no particular order

Illuminating
Loving
Clairvoyant
Nurturer
Sacred
Graceful
Divine
Loyal
Understanding
Bearer of light and life
Regal
Strong
Independent
Proud
Definition of beauty
Healer
Mother
Conscious
Warrior
Complete
Committed
Balanced
Courageous
Genius
Wise
Manifested
Essence of nature
Foundation
Sun-like

Well okay… I obviously have a high opinion of my kind and myself… but all of these things (including several others I left out) are all that a woman is and should be… I have witnessed many sistahs wit this quality and potential. These are just random words although there is no one word or combination of to describe a woman, nor a man for that matter
Peace

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

-Amina

brzlngrl
Charter member
137 posts
Tue May-30-00 11:15 AM

8. "RE: definition of a woman"
In response to Reply # 5

i will definitely keep in contact with you...i am willing to put myself whole-heartedly into this project with you...thank you for your feedback..you are gifted in thought and passion...thank you for your post...it was very timely and needed...i also have some resources...

thanks, again..you are beautiful..

tchau...amor y paz...

"revolution is not only won by numbers, but by visionaries, and if artists aren;t visionaries, then we have no business doing what we do."
cherrie moraga

"passion is not friendly. it is arrogant, superbly contemptous of all that is not itself, and, as the very definition of passion implies the impulse to freedom, it has a mighty intimidating power. it contains a challenge. it contains an unspeakable hope." james baldwin

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Tue May-30-00 08:34 PM

11. "RE: definition of a woman"
In response to Reply # 8

>i will definitely keep in contact
>with you...i am willing to
>put myself whole-heartedly into this
>project with you...thank you for
>your feedback..you are gifted
>in thought and passion...thank you
>for your post...it was very
>timely and needed...i also have
>some resources...
>
>thanks, again..you are beautiful..

NO thank you... and you must remember that I am a reflection of you... I am beautiful then you are... you are than I am, and that goes without saying.

I am so glad that you have even shown interest let alone commitment to the victory of our struggle as (African) women. and even if this goes no further than our exchange of words through this particular forum (which I have no doubt that it will) indeed progress will be made.
I am in LA also... but I live in a small city called Rancho Cucamonga. the organization (SIMBA/SIS) that I am involved in is Pomona based but we have contacts globaly and building on every level. I go to school in the Inland Empire also at the (UC and CS in the area)
I will be traveling this summer (if all goes well) but I have also specifically set asisde time for networking. I would be more than willing to drive to LA or whatever is needed to link up.
what is 45 minutes when we talking about our future... so like I said, we can continue this correspondance via email if you like, drop me some info and we can build from there.

Peace abundantly and thank you so much for your time and rapid response

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

-Amina

brzlngrl
Charter member
137 posts
Tue May-30-00 11:16 AM

9. "RE: definition of a woman"
In response to Reply # 5

guess what!?!?!?

i am in la...i go to school in wa...but, i am coming home for the summer...i am definitely down..are you in la? where in cali are you?

tchau...

cherrie moraga

mzilakazi

Tue May-30-00 08:26 PM

10. "RE: definition of a woman"
In response to Reply # 9

i feel y'all sistas.yesterday iwas wit some homies trying to explain to them that women are not sexual objects and must not be treated as such.Men are the root of the problem 'cuz of how they perceive women.I hope they heard me!

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Tue May-30-00 08:51 PM

12. "I understand your frustration"
In response to Reply # 10

But we cannot point fingers and place blame on men. That’s not the answer. Although some men do help to perpetuate the unhealthy images of women today they are not alone and should not take the full and complete responsibility for this. Truly we can start pointing fingers but that’s not really the answer either. A woman has to allow herself to be an object before any man has placed her in that category. So when we search for "the root" of the problem we must dig deeper than the surface.. But not just for the purpose of pointing a finger, but fir the ability to understand what caused this behavior… only to find answers and solution to the problems at hand.
But like I said I understand your frustration and I to have recognized a role that men play in the dehumanization of women... but once again they are certainly not alone and especially not in the context that you mention. And just a little for contemplation...

If you understand that women have unhealthy images and low amounts of respect for self... then it goes without saying that the men are experiencing the exact same devastation… and if nothing else look around evidence is everywhere

Peace and thanks for your input

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

-Amina

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Wed May-31-00 07:57 AM

13. "Define Sisterhood"
In response to Reply # 0

Sisterhood… yet another problem we face because we of absence of a correct definition…

So if you will give life to the word and explain what exactly it means in your family, and community and to you personally

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

-Amina

brzlngrl
Charter member
137 posts
Wed May-31-00 01:00 PM

14. "RE: Define Sisterhood"
In response to Reply # 13

one mo'gin...(lol) i got you!!

sisterhood, to me, is my knowledge of self and what i am capable of...my beauty..as a person...a Black woman...to encourage and help other sistas find theirs..to form a bond, be it biologically sisters, or friends...where you can turn to each other...trust each other..learn and teach each other..defend and protect each other..cry together...fight together...bleed together (a little extreme)...provide a level of comfort that can not be reciprocated with that of a male-female friendship because of difference in experiences...to give..and not be selfish..understanding...a deep bond...that in a sense is more than the average friendship..where petty misunderstandings do not threaten the relationship as a whole....and when you know it is time to be there...and when it is not...to push each other..to be each own's person....when i think of more, i will list...

i e-mailed you...and i have another question for you...are you of direct African descent?

tchau..amor y paz..

cherrie moraga

Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Wed May-31-00 01:13 PM

15. "yup"
In response to Reply # 14

my mother is Egyptian and my father is African (but of the American sorts) but odly enough I was born in the Dominican Republic...

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

-Amina

RudeGirl/Virgo

Sat Jun-03-00 09:11 AM

16. "RE: African women (our struggle and victory)"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I used to want to save the world, ( I still do), save my people, (still do...) and all of the little black babies, (okay, I still do.) Some of my fellow, well most of my fellow sistas disapoint me. I'm not trying to come off high, mighty, righteous, or above anyone, but, I dont walk around half ass naked looking for hot boys, and thugs. Just the thought of it, makes me vomit. Everything for me starts at home, my family is my foundation. I do my best to be an example for my three younger sisters, and an example for want type of a woman I want my three younger brothers with. Spending my time at my beloved center, I always told the little sistas to define themselves, and live to that definition. Truthfully, I dont believe, and will never believe you can help anyone that doesnt want to help themselves. Mina, as your twin sister, that was seperated from you at birth, , you know I'm here for your cause, our cause. You hold it down in Cali, and I'll be here in NY. The problems we have as a people will only keep getting worse in my opinion, if we have grown females that arent women, just grown females, continuing to spread ignorance in the home, the foundation. It is like a revolving door, yeah, brothas are to blame too, but, unless these sistas are right w/ self, they will not raise their daughters to be future queens, but rather a new breed of groupies. This isnt all the time true, but, sadly it is true enough, enough times for me. I swear I used to want, and still do, (I'm so in love w/ children) in a way, adopt some of the kids at my center. I just wanted to teach them, and love them, and tell the sistas that yes, contrary to popular belief, they must demand respect from these little brothas, and give it in return. I wrote a poem, called "the difference between a chickenhead and a woman", ima go find it, (somewhere in my relics) and reply again, I think it fits this post.

eff a sig.

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #24528 Previous topic | Next topic