Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #24519

Subject: "New Search & Seizure Laws!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Tue May-30-00 03:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Search & Seizure Laws!"

From Davy D. This ish is VERY SCARY! What do y'all think?

> Clinton Proposes New Search And Seizure Laws
>
> *So while all this is hoopla including the historic trade bill with China is taking place on Capitol Hill, the Clinton administration has been hard at work with another 'amendment' that will simply blow you away and leave you gasping for breath. Congress is set to look at 5 different versions of a bankruptcy bill. Seems like a lot of creditors don't wanna have us be able to simply declare bankruptcy and not pay them back when we get into trouble. But that's another story. Whats really at stake, according to columnist Dan Gilmore of the San Jose Mercury news, is a sneaky ad on to bill HR 833 that would give law enforcement the authority to secretly break into people's homes and businesses to conduct searches and not have to tell you about it.. They could do when you're not present and it would be up to you to figure out that your local policeman decided to search your house. Go ahead re-read what I just wrote.. In fact read what was written in Tuesday's San Jose Mercury by Dan Gilmore:
>
> >THE uproar was fierce but quick last summer when an internal Clinton administration document leaked out, revealing yet again the ministration's hostility to fundamental liberties. The idea was to give law enforcement the authority to secretly break into people's homes and businesses to conduct searches, including discovering what was on computer hard disks or even plant rogue programs on the machines to record keystrokes or transmit data to the government.
> >
> >The idea was considered a legislative non-starter, and it sank out of sight -- or so we thought. But this administration and its congressional allies are nothing if not persistent.
> >
> >Like burglars in the dead of night, they've quietly attached the proposal to several pieces of legislation, including an utterly unrelated bankruptcy reform act. Like masters of deception, they've hidden it in language that no lay person could possibly unravel.
> >
> >``We've never had a hearing on these provisions,'' says U.S. Rep. Bob Barr, R-Ga., a vocal opponent of what are being called the ``secret search'' portions of the legislation. ``They're very, very substantive, and they're being snuck into legislation without a
> >chance to have light shed on them.''
> >
> >It's happened before. In 1998, Congress passed a law that included a provision greatly expanding law enforcement's wiretapping authority -- a provision that lawmakers had explicitly rejected when it stood on its own.
> >
> >The most immediate threat this time appears to be in the bankruptcy legislation, which goes by the designation HR 833. The House and Senate have passed differing versions of the bill, and it is now in conference committee. There, lawmakers might still be persuaded to strip out the secret search proposal and other attacks on the Bill of Rights, which appear to have been copied wholesale into the Senate version from an unrelated anti-drug bill that's not quite as far along in the legislative process.<P>
> >
> >In a section titled ``Notice; Clarification'' the bankruptcy and anti-drug bills say that ``Section 3103a of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new sentence: `With respect to any issuance under this section or any other provision of law (including section 3117 and any rule), any notice required, or that may be required, to be given may be delayed pursuant to the standards, terms, and conditions set forth in section 2705, unless otherwise expressly provided by statute.'>
> >
> >That obscure language, according to experts who've studied it, would dramatically expand the government's authority to conduct what are called ``sneak and peek'' searches.
> >
> >The government ``could enter your house, apartment or office with a search warrant when you are away, conduct a search, seize or copy things such as your computer hard drive and not tell you until months later,'' the American Civil Liberties Union and National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers recently wrote in a letter to members of Congress.
> >
> >With equally obscure language, the legislation would ``relieve the government of giving the property owner an inventory of seized intangible items, such as the contents of your computer,'' according to the letter from the ACLU and defense attorneys.
> >
> > ``The law normally requires that an inventory of seized items be prepared on the spot and presented to the person whose property has been seized. Combined with the secret search provision, it is doubly dangerous because the government could enter your home when you are not present, look into your computer files and never tell you they were there.''
>
> To see the complete story head on over to
> http://www.sjmercury.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg052300.htm
>
> I think this brief excerpt just about says it all. The current administration intends on using the advent of new technology to justify trampling on our rights. Now how does all this relate to Hip Hop? Look at this new proposal in the back drop of the current 'war on youth' and the rising 'prison industrial complex'. Already there have been new powers granted to law enforcement for search and seizure based upon suspicion. Anytime law enforcement can come barging into your house and not even tell you about is a problem that will directly impact the Hip Hop generation. There is already a sense in Washington among elected officials that the Hip Hop generation doesn't vote and is not down to be politically active. I guess people figure they can roll up on us and we'll do nothing and remain silent... Its up to all of us to remain alert and active to all these new changes that people are proposing to come down the pipe. With respect to HR 833 please take some time out and email your congressman and let them know you ain't going out like that...
> http://congress.org/ Also be sure to contact the members of the
> Judiciary Committee that is overseeing this bill
> http://www.house.gov/judiciary/mem106.htm. It is chaired by Henry
> Hyde of Illinois. He was one of those congressmen who was 'gung ho'
> during the Impeachment proceedings.
> Please take time out to write them or call them up at 202-225-3951.

love and respect,
El Rey

"We live the now for the promise of the infinite." - Mos Def

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org
http://www.mumia911.org

EFF AN OFFENSIVE QUOTE! MAY IS NEBBIE APPRECIATION MONTH:

"I done already took you off the topic and now you just fallin prey to what evea i say.....I be you govment now!!"

"I m raising a fuckin angelic being who is going to replenish this fuckin earths cuz in 2G all we fuckin do is talk.....im teachin my seed to turn his spirit inside out and spread beams of green light"

"fuck turning the other cheek menatlity.....i got an 75% accuracy shooting"

"save ya souls fuck all this elian goverment guilliani crap......they aint no control over the universe.....that shit has greater power.....time to align ourselves with the universe..."

"i am really cool as shit...and yes i would beat a person with a bag of rusty screw drivers."

"i refuse to put limits to my person by way of detail jibberish i evolve to rapid to answer....it is better you watch and see.....im movin movin movin growin growin growin expanding expanding expanding infinit infinity eternal eternal.....light speed.....god speed IAM!!!!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
up n/m
what if...
May 30th 2000
also...
May 30th 2000
I heard that too ...
May 30th 2000
      There was a thread awhile ago on that...
Jun 03rd 2000
DON'T SLEEP ON THIS PEEPS!
May 31st 2000
Wait, question?
May 31st 2000
self defence never works ...
Jun 02nd 2000
You would be charged with:
Jun 03rd 2000

what if...

Tue May-30-00 06:10 AM

1. "up n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

what if rosa parks had a car?
jesus christ was a superstar-
didn't imitate escobar
rosa parks had a car
-jazz poet's society
www.jazzpoetssociety.com

Gloworm
Charter member
6077 posts
Tue May-30-00 07:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "also..."
In response to Reply # 0

i do not know much about this...
but there has been discussion among those important circles of government to get rid of the Miranda Law ("you have the right to remain silent...etc."). not repealing the rights in the law itself...but having to recite them during an arest. why? proponents say that too many confessions or other evidence crucial to getting convictions have been tossed out on technicalities. opponents say it's unconstitutional...everyone won't have due process b/c they may or may not be aware of their rights.

if anyone has anything more "official" (like an actual news article to read for yourself) to add to this..feel free...

"Here's another speech you wish I'd swallow. Another cue for you to hold your ears. Another train of thought too hard to follow." - Fiona Apple

"I'm going to save R&B" - Sisqo

"Questioning why you should listen to my words, the way I say them, my flow.
Ignoring the fact that my spoken word will make your mind glow." - jose3030

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Tue May-30-00 10:23 AM

3. "I heard that too ..."
In response to Reply # 2

I'll try to dig up something that speaks to this.

love and respect,
El Rey

"I done already took you off the topic and now you just fallin prey to what evea i say.....I be you govment now!!"

"I m raising a fuckin angelic being who is going to replenish this fuckin earths cuz in 2G all we fuckin do is talk.....im teachin my seed to turn his spirit inside out and spread beams of green light"

"save ya souls fuck all this elian goverment guilliani crap......they aint no control over the universe.....that shit has greater power.....time to align ourselves with the universe..."

"i am really cool as shit...and yes i would beat a person with a bag of rusty screw drivers."

"i refuse to put limits to my person by way of detail jibberish i evolve to rapid to answer....it is better you watch and see.....im movin movin movin growin growin growin expanding expanding expanding infinit infinity eternal eternal.....light speed.....god speed IAM!!!!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Sat Jun-03-00 11:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "There was a thread awhile ago on that..."
In response to Reply # 3

There is actually a case before the Supreme Court right now to argue against the Miranda Rights. The lawyer arguing the case has repeatedly stated that he thinks the police and the government are more civilized/evolved now from the barbaric practices that originally required the law. Yeah right. Basically he is a full of shit right wing legal conservative. I'll look for where I originally found the article and repost it.
Good looking out on the Search & Seize update el-rey. I will have to contact my congressman (all of them).

don't be fkn evil.

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Wed May-31-00 06:32 AM

4. "DON'T SLEEP ON THIS PEEPS!"
In response to Reply # 0

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Blackmagicallydelicious
Charter member
9576 posts
Wed May-31-00 03:32 PM

5. "Wait, question?"
In response to Reply # 0

If I were to come home, and find intruders and begin to attack, shoot, etc, because I don't know if I'm being searched or robbed, what would be the consequences?

"I'm unfuckwitable."--Canibus, Source interview, June 2000

JUNE IS OKAYPLAYER (RE)UNION QUOTE MONTH:

Me: (naively) "Is it true that if you go to New York and look up, they'll know you're a tourist and rob you?"

TheGoodReverendDrJ: (looking at me like Mircale Whip past the expiration date) "Tourists? They're robbing niggas that live there."

do damage for damage be
unpredictable with map and compass
& weapons pressed against the cheek
--Sun Rise Missions, from Earthquakes and Sun Rise Missions by Haki R. Madhubuti.

Pick it up at your local black-owned bookstore today!

"Slaves have options. There's escape, revolt, or death. But for cowards, there's only consequences..."--from Passing Strange

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Jun-02-00 03:24 AM

6. "self defence never works ..."
In response to Reply # 5

when you eff up a cop, n/m?

love and respect,
El Rey

;-):-)
:-);-):-);-)
;-):-);-):-);-):-)
:-);-):-);-)
;-):-)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Sat Jun-03-00 11:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "You would be charged with:"
In response to Reply # 5

Felonius assault, attempted murder, resisting arrest, disturbing the peace, or anything else they feel like. And to top it off, they can kill you, and get off free of any consequence. Why, you may ask? Because all they have to say is that you presented them with a clear and present danger that required deadly force.
My question is this, why is deadly force ever required? If the officers have to shoot, why don't they wound the suspect instead of murdering them?

don't be fkn evil.

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #24519 Previous topic | Next topic