Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23355

Subject: "Sexual Intellectuals" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 10:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sexual Intellectuals"

I made this post a few months agao, and Boodaah just reminded me about this.

I want to say as a black woman, it's really hard now at days to find a black man. I don't want just any black man. I want an intellectual. I want a conscious brotha who is aware of what's going on in the world. A brotha, a king that will be my compliment and treat me like the queen that I am.

However, why is it, that most of the brothas that I meet that are so-called down for the cause are the worst dogs?

I mean, they give me that same bullshit excuse that they just love woman so much. I have heard this soooo many times. How can you call us queens and be so-called rightous brothas, but try to hit eery sista you meet and dog us out?

Frustrated as hell!!

Are you happy now IMPROV? (big baby)

Check out my artwork.
http://homepage.newschool.edu/~chunga01

**Having a house warming next month**

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Really?
Jun 29th 2000
even men for the cause....
Maat511
Jun 29th 2000
RE: Sexual Intellectuals
WISDOMFC
Jun 29th 2000
honestly
Jun 29th 2000
let me add...
Jun 29th 2000
RE: let me add...
Jun 30th 2000
you're making me blush again
Jun 30th 2000
      Wedding Date
Jun 30th 2000
And let's not forget
Jul 28th 2000
couldn't have said it any better
blue
Jun 30th 2000
      RE: couldn't have said it any better
Faction
Jul 03rd 2000
Jul 05th 2000
Here is the answer to your question:
Jul 05th 2000
Poetical Waxing (first draft)
Jul 25th 2000
Spade
Jul 25th 2000
spade that was gonna be my question...
Jul 26th 2000
The Questions
Jul 26th 2000
      Boom!
Wise_7
Jul 27th 2000
RE: I'm one.....
FG
Jul 27th 2000
good points
d-Best
Jul 28th 2000

beautifulpeace
Charter member
2363 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Really?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been out of the game for a while now but because of unfortunate circumstances, I'm back in the game. (damn, I'm not ready )

"Seems like everybody's lost their minds/ and I just might be the next one in line" - Amel Larrieux

work like you don't need the money
love like you never been hurt
dance like you do when nobody's watching--Mindstorm

"I crave more than anything truthful and intense human interaction"--el_rey

"Who loves ya baby? Nobody like Jackie-O...cook, clean, break up ya weed, and I give ya nasty throat"

"When a guy fingers a lady and then smells, licks, sucks the juice off his finger and sighs as if in heaven, she knows this is her lucky day"

Maat511

Thu Jun-29-00 11:24 AM

2. "even men for the cause...."
In response to Reply # 0

can be fakers. at least the ones who arent for "the cause" are honest about being fakers. the "down" ones just hide behind some outdate 60s rhetoric, walking around callin women "sister" while trying to get into your thongs. this goes for women out there, too. theres fake people where ever you go.
by the way, stop looking!!! when you LEAST expect it, that man will find YOU. not that im looking but i have this theory about seeking...
good luck (?)
peace

WISDOMFC

Thu Jun-29-00 11:38 AM

3. "RE: Sexual Intellectuals"
In response to Reply # 0

I BELIEVE THAT MANY OF OUR BROTHERS AS WELL AS OUR SISTERS ARE SO CAUGHT UP IN THE WAYS OF THE WORLD, ALWAYS SO QUICK TO SAY WELL, "I'M YOUNG I WANNA HAVE MY FUN". I NEVER KNEW SO MANY PEOPLE INTERPERTED THE DEFINITION OF FUN AS ONE NIGHT STANDS, VAGINAL DISEAES, FATHERLESS BABIES, AND SO ON. WE HAVE TO BE MORE AWARE AND TAKE OUR LIVES MORE SERIOUSLY. TO ALL THE WANNA BE CONCIOUS BROTHERS WHO HAVE NO CLUE OF THE WORD CONCIOUSNESS I THINK YOU MUST ELEVATE YOUR MIND INDEPTLY AND KNOW YOURSELF BEFORE YOU TRY TO GET TO KNOW A SISTER. TO ALL THE SISTERS WE MUST ACT IN A WAY ACCORDINGLY TO THE WAY WE WANT TO BE TREATED. IF YOU WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE A QUEEN RESPECT AND CARRY YOURSELF LIKE A QUEEN. WHORES ARE TREATED LIKE WHORES AND QUEENS LIKE QUEENS BUT TIMES ARE STARTING TO CHANGE FOR THE WORST. I'VE SEEN BROTHERS DISRESPECT THEIR QUEENS AT HOME FOR A QUICK PEACE OF ASS. DON'T LIVE THE LIFE OF THE UNRIGHTEOUS, STAND YOUR GROUNDS AND RESPECT YOUR TEMPLE(YOUR BODY).
Wisdomfc a.k.a GENii

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 04:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "honestly"
In response to Reply # 0

many people are caught up in "the game". they but on a mask and pretend to be whatever to reach the end they desire. the whole "conscious brother" thing is one method brothers (and sisters) use.

but the thing is that the truth will always rise to the surface. one must be diligent to not set themself up for a fall. be cautious and be smart. don't ignore "faults" that you see, because hindsight will kick your tail everytime. anyone who is fake will give themselves up eventually, the key is just to not be caught out there when the facade comes crashing down.
------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah
OkayActivist Moderator

Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
step 1. inform yourself
step 2. inform others
step 3. discuss the problem
step 4. DISCUSS SOLUTIONS
step 5. EXECUTE SOLUTIONS
step 6. evaluate how well the solution worked
step 7. start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
-----------------------------
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Jun-29-00 06:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "let me add..."
In response to Reply # 4

In some cases failure to be a good man/woman doesn't have much to do with ones desire to help in "the struggle". Dogs come in all flavors. It may seem as though one can't truly be down with helping society rise if they bring down their mate, but sadly for some the two things are exclusive. this is in no way to to excuse foul behavior, but one must never forget that people are just people. selecting "righteous" as a desirable quality won't necessarily get you anyone better than "smart", "fine", "tall" or whatever else would. Any label or a trait is just a starting point. It's the melange of a person's experiences and the fruit of the life they lead which should be a guide when deciding if someone is worthy to select as a mate. And even then, because you can't predict the future, it's still a crapshoot.

as a guy who has been through the trenches of trying to find somebody, and who now stands at the threshold of marriage, i can look back and remember being dogged and dogging. I made mistakes and I caught a few bad ones. But now that my season has come I need to look back and learn the lessons that those experiences taught me. To all of you who are looking I say: be diligent, be patient, and prepare yourself for the day when YOUR blessing arrives.

BooDaah
OkayActivist Moderator

step 1. inform yourself
step 2. inform others

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Fri Jun-30-00 06:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: let me add..."
In response to Reply # 5

She is a very luck woman. Know that. And make sure she knows that as well.

Hope to meet you someday in the future.

Check out my artwork.

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Jun-30-00 06:16 AM

7. "you're making me blush again"
In response to Reply # 6

stopit . honestly, if anything, I'm the lucky one.

she is the personification of everything I've ever wanted and more. I can't begin to tell you what a blessing, inspiration, friend, and partner she is to me.

there is no compliment I could give her that would do her justice.

...by the way, does this mean the wedding is off again?? hahahaha

BooDaah
OkayActivist Moderator

step 1. inform yourself
step 2. inform others

GirlChild
Charter member
56000 posts
Fri Jun-30-00 07:43 AM

8. "Wedding Date"
In response to Reply # 7

I guess I need to set a date huh? Got any ideas?

Well, I ery happy for you that you have been fortunate enough to find someone that wonderful. I wish I had what you have. I guess I should be more patient.

Check out my artwork.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 05:55 AM

19. "And let's not forget"
In response to Reply # 5

that we're all human, we're all struggling, we're all trying to grow up (no matter what our age is). Adult human relationships are just about the most mysterious and challenge-filled things in the world. Every person has more room to grow, and in my experience, it's actually rather rare to find someone who consciously wants to be insincere in relationships. Usually a tendency in that direction indicates that the person has had one or a series of hurtful relationships (romantic, friendships, family), or hasn't had any good examples of how to treat others the way they would like to be treated.

Now I'm not saying that it's appropriate to allow yourself to stay in a relationship in which your self esteem or your physical welfare is endangered. But we do have to ease up on our partners a bit. Not everyone can see all the way down the road at all times, not everyone is completely clear about their motivation at every moment, and people just do dumb things when their heart is at stake.

And unfortunately one of the best ways to learn how to make a relationship work is to TRY to make it work. But "try" implies "fail sometimes," right? Otherwise I would have said, "the best way to make a relationship work is to make it work."

So as long as we trust that our partners are trying, and as long as we are not endangering our hearts or our health, we have some of our best opportunities for spiritual and emotional growth by practicing understanding and forgiveness side by side with another person. (And remember that the other person is going to be practicing understanding and forgiveness with you, too. And don't even get me started on the word "trust").

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

blue

Fri Jun-30-00 10:44 AM

9. "couldn't have said it any better"
In response to Reply # 4

>but the thing is that the
>truth will always rise to
>the surface. one must be
>diligent to not set themself
>up for a fall. be
>cautious and be smart. don't
>ignore "faults" that you see,
>because hindsight will kick your
>tail everytime. anyone who is
>fake will give themselves up
>eventually, the key is just
>to not be caught out
>there when the facade comes
>crashing down.

I was just having a conversation like this with one of my girlfriends. I was telling her that in past relationships I've gotten this gut feeling that from the beginning that I chose to ignore. And then the relationship ends up ending because of those same reasons that I peeped in the beginning. I was always trying to give the benefit of the doubt or didn't want to seem paranoid. Hindsight is definitely 20/20. And I have learned the hard way to trust my intuition.

Faction

Mon Jul-03-00 02:50 PM

10. "RE: couldn't have said it any better"
In response to Reply # 9

WISDOMFC gets the post of the year for that one....I totally agree with that whole statement

Triptych
Charter member
30124 posts
Wed Jul-05-00 10:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
11. "RE: Sexual Intellectuals"
In response to Reply # 0

Posts like that scare me. I think that people who have been hurt once or twice are too quick to make generalizations about an entire gender. Have you had a bad relationship? Have you had 50 bad relationships? Does that mean that every brother you meet is a dog?

I know that no one but the blindingly ignorant believe that every member of a group of people is bad, but it's easy to allow bad experiences to influence our daily interactions. But not opening up yourself to new people because of what old people have done to you is silly. You're allowing these "old" people, who have already hurt you in some way, to control how you behave even after you've broken off contact with them. Not entering a relationship you otherwise feel good about because you've been hurt in the past is emotional suicide. I truly believe that you have to be open to being hurt to experience love- it's a fundamental absurdity of human relationships.

Note - this isn't to anyone in particular; I'm just voicing my opinion. Take it for what it's worth

peas and Love

"-The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Albert Einstein

http://instagram.com/yogikenan
http://instagram.com/shotbykenan
http://stackoverflow.com/users/43089/triptych
http://github.com/djtriptych

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Wed Jul-05-00 12:08 PM

12. "Here is the answer to your question:"
In response to Reply # 0

They don't have God in their life...... simple as that.

Peace!!!!!!

AIM: BurbKnight

- MAYIN HOLD UP!!!!!!! (c)Fellow Houstonians

-"What the devil is that on your answering machine"- Xzhibit

"The Friend Zone is the jack-pot for the good man...step into the realm." - Jude

Okayplayer Directory: http://theblackknight.tripod.com/okayplayer/okayplayer.html

My homepage:
http://members.tripod.com/~TheBlackKnight

cpoindex
Charter member
243 posts
Tue Jul-25-00 12:44 PM

13. "Poetical Waxing (first draft)"
In response to Reply # 12

I won't patronize your disillusions
with two bit solutions
that Oprah delivers more convincely
than the brother that discreetly packs his heat pulled back between his legs to hide the culprit as he tries to convince you he's not like all the others, only to be excited in that moment you confide; member becoming apparant reminding you how this predicament began with an equally soft spoken brother.

As much as I hate to admit it
I am just another brother who'll cap a perfect evening as a perfect gentelman with an invitation upstairs for coffee & Talk that'll extend into early morning when'll I'll warn you that it would be safer for you to stay the night and promise you that I'll make no advances and Tell you I only want to hold you. Doing just that until I interpret the firmness by which you press your body next to mind as an invitation for creeping fingers and maybe gaining access to buried treasures, I will have lost the charm that made me different from just another brother out to "get some".

"Lyrically Handsome"

Spade

Tue Jul-25-00 02:19 PM

14. "RE: Sexual Intellectuals"
In response to Reply # 0

Look it isn't just women looking for intellectual men. Brothers have a hard time too.

Me and my friends always wonder where are the intellectual females. Where are the black professional females? What happen to all those black women that went to college?

I'm sure they are out there but I haven't been crossing their path. I don't know where to go to cross their path. It's kinda sad but i don't give up. i keep plugging along.

I'm tired of meeting girls that work in drug stores, attend Gordan Phillips, work in a daycare center, work in the mall, etc.

There's nothing wrong with the above jobs but i want someone who's doing something different.

Ok i'm whining.

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Wed Jul-26-00 06:39 AM

15. "spade that was gonna be my question..."
In response to Reply # 0

you say you keep meeting all these down for the cause brothers that's down for the booty. i'm tired of meeting females that don't know what the cause is and don't have purpose in their lives. i guess that's me though, i didn't really know what my purpose was until a couple weeks ago. some people let living overtake their life.

oh and don't act like their ain't no shorties out there that's down for the cause but also eager to get their freak on.

peace

what we have is much more than they can see. - george benson

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

ASTRO
Charter member
1160 posts
Wed Jul-26-00 09:56 AM

16. "The Questions"
In response to Reply # 15

"just because I want to get sexual, does that mean I'm not a intellectual?"

"Just because you answer the phone 'peace', does that mean you not a freak?"

"If I want to have sex with you, does that mean i lack respect for you?" (ok not sure if i got that line right.)

Wise_7

Thu Jul-27-00 08:39 AM

17. "Boom!"
In response to Reply # 16

You said it best, or should I say
Common said it best.

"Maybe that's why I'm so exhausted
as a revolutionary
I realize I can't save everyone
I'm trying to save myself
and I'm afraid"- Pamela Sneed

FG

Thu Jul-27-00 03:54 PM

18. "RE: I'm one....."
In response to Reply # 0

....but I'm not a player! Ha ha. Word.

"I just f*** a lot...." - Method Man

d-Best

Fri Jul-28-00 08:16 AM

20. "good points"
In response to Reply # 18

just wanting to have sex, and get freaky doesn't necesarily imply a lack of respect. Our parents thought so, but we're smarter than that.

I feel this post, though. I know many cats who are "down" and yet who sometimes let me down.

I suppose there's being down and being down. We expect people who identify with progressive movements to be righteous, or at least, lacking major flaws.

Unfortunately, these people get snatched up quick. Everybody's got their flaws, and their vice. Many people, if not most, in our culture, have some type of weird approach to sexuality. Our behavior changes. Alot of cats become a little more "hey, now..." or "hey, girl..." and front.

Myself, I get all quiet and reverent like the body is temple, and I'm about to meet god. Perhaps more romantic, but equally as odd.

My point is this:

we know people are flawed. We can write them off for their flaws, or just decide how we'll deal with them. I don't want to be down with some of the women I've been with 'cause they've let me down, but that doesn't make 'em trash.

Now men being socially programmed to be more agressive, when they let a woman down, it's usually in a Ass-HOLE way, so it's tough to let by-gones be, but...

I FEEL YOU. It's a struggle for all people to find someone who fits their style.

Being intellectual is not usually en vogue. It is now, but it's still relatively new concept, maybe 7 years now, so cats are still finding where they exist in it all.

i don't know...

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23355 Previous topic | Next topic