Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23342

Subject: "Give Ideas 4 New Edu.curriculum." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
colourboy
Member since May 01st 2003
88 posts
Thu Jul-27-00 02:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Give Ideas 4 New Edu.curriculum."

Uhh yes I posted up the no music in schools and you all helped me out heavinly. But with that I'm hittin the other side i guess you can say. Because as we all the curriculum they give public school kids sucks. I need your help. Once again I say this here in baltimore they have really I mean really put in work for all elemantry school students to ensure a better education. So right now I'm not worring about the little ones as much because what they have done for them and there plans for them. So really I would like to here it for the kids in grades 9-12 and 7-8 as well. All ideas are deeply accepted. It can for just one class/subject or the whole thing. If you need to know more like how or what they are already teaching or whatever. Then hit me up at colourboy@blackplanet.com or leave it here. Thanx and peace out.

"the king is back..."

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Critical/Independent Thinking
Jul 27th 2000
RE: Critical/Independent Thinking
Jul 28th 2000
      We have differences?
Jul 28th 2000
College Prep
Jul 27th 2000
How Could I forget!!!
Jul 27th 2000
READ
Jul 27th 2000
RE: Give Ideas 4 New Edu.curriculum.
Jul 27th 2000
revamped history
Jul 27th 2000
RE: revamped history
Jul 28th 2000
      I agree with Mister...
remedy_one
Jul 28th 2000
      Know what though
Jul 28th 2000
      Zinn is my god
Jul 30th 2000

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Jul-27-00 04:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Critical/Independent Thinking"
In response to Reply # 0

Is what education should be about. You learn that skill, and pretty much everything else lines up after it.

But if I went back to high school here is my dream curriculum

- personal economics - how to make sense of your finances. Not just merely balancing a budget, but understanding credit, leasing vs renting, investing et cetera.

- small business entrepeneurship - how to create your own money.

- a second or third language - which would include an obligatory 3 months abroad for 4 or 5 summers.

- Art - painting, scultping, music,

- effective written communication - I didn't understand what writing was about until I stopped taking english classes. When I had to start writing briefs or research papers, it started to dawn on me.

- philosophy/comparative philosophy - Indeed comparative everything would be tight. Investigate how different folks around the world handle problems that we face everyday.

I could probably think of some others, but those are the ones right off the top of my head.

k. orr
house of phat beats

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 08:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: Critical/Independent Thinking"
In response to Reply # 1

Yo i know we have had our differences in the past but your idea is tight!

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 10:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "We have differences?"
In response to Reply # 9

>Yo i know we have had
>our differences in the past
>but your idea is tight!

We're just trying to build a dialog. Every point that you have I make a counter point and vice versa. Communication and sharpening of ones skills.

peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

MisterGrump
Charter member
32144 posts
Thu Jul-27-00 04:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "College Prep"
In response to Reply # 0

For the majority of school curriculum's, a college preporatory curriculum should be used. The goal is to supply a solid foundation in english, history(US, World, and any others), mathematics (calculus and below), and the physical sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology/Astronomy). This fills the need of more post secondary educated workers in the workforce.

Also, for this to work for the greater good. A better, safer school environment needs to be available so that the students will have less distractions from learning.

Ju-LIE QUOTATION for the Week************************

"Can't You See" was our biggest hit. All because of Biggie!!!
-----kec(Pam)

MisterGrump
Charter member
32144 posts
Thu Jul-27-00 06:46 AM

4. "How Could I forget!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Classes in Foreign Languages (Spanish, French, Japanese, German, etc).

-----kec(Pam)

annastesia
Charter member
51 posts
Thu Jul-27-00 04:52 AM

3. "READ"
In response to Reply # 0

The importance of being able to do this is imperative, and there are so many students who can only get by in public with their reading skills.

I'll send you more in an e-mail.

-TC

"How U ever gonna win if U let 'em all see your hand?
Playin' the queen don't work on your knees as if U understand." -Prince

nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Thu Jul-27-00 07:58 AM

5. "RE: Give Ideas 4 New Edu.curriculum."
In response to Reply # 0

i know that you asked aobut high school but i must say that if they first and foremost need to be properly prepared for high school. the most crucial ages are 0-3 then K, 3, 6......

foreign lang. the brain and the ability to pickup sentence structure, lexicons, phonetic transcription etc...... is when the child is a toddler. waiting to teach a child a foreign lang. in high school is counterproductive.

critical thinking, needs to start at an early age as well.

little things like if a child doesn't know how to spell a word, start them looking the word up in the dictionary at an early age.

computers, although we are in a technological age. i think that computers have become a hindrance for young minds and that they should not be heavily relied upon.

history, all kids need to know the TRUE history of this country.

test taking skills, start preparing kids for taking standardized tests at an early age. there is a method to the madness of standarized test.

man, i can go on and on but i will stop here. i apologize if i went back to k-8 but i think that the foundation is needed here first. and though baltimore is trying to make improvement k-8 there is a long way to go.
Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon
Aqua Beats and Moon Verses: Volume I
http://www.spokenexistence.com/aqua_moon.html

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
Member since Jun 09th 2002
155 posts
Thu Jul-27-00 05:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "revamped history"
In response to Reply # 0

teach about colonialism, and have history of the whole world, not just the US and ancient Europe.

Caribbean history - this would be entirely too interesting to keep the dropout rates as high as they are.

history of India, Latin America, colonial Africa, the Pacific, Australia...

and also analyze the European superpowers and their treatment of those countries

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
giving you true posts since 1999 - effa charter member

"I can assure you, we won't be putting money into a society which is not transparent and corrupt."
-George W Bush

MisterGrump
Charter member
32144 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 05:39 AM

7. "RE: revamped history"
In response to Reply # 6

Howard Zinn got ya covered. School districts and Superintendents just need to order his books or ones by his colleagues.

-----kec(Pam)

remedy_one

Fri Jul-28-00 08:45 AM

8. "I agree with Mister..."
In response to Reply # 7

I think a little brief with Howard Zinn,Noam Chomsky, maybe Edward Said, would shed a whole new light on history in general. I also believe that critical, independent thought is paramount.

MisterGrump
Charter member
32144 posts
Fri Jul-28-00 08:55 AM

10. "Know what though"
In response to Reply # 8

Fundamentally, how can you use these cats' works to reach/teach the kids. Granted most books used in schools pertaining to Social Studies are "user friendly". They got any of their shit like dat?

-----kec(Pam)

DJ_scratch_N_sniff
Member since Jun 09th 2002
155 posts
Sun Jul-30-00 01:49 PM

12. "Zinn is my god"
In response to Reply # 7

nuf said.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
giving you true posts since 1999 - effa charter member

"I can assure you, we won't be putting money into a society which is not transparent and corrupt."
-George W Bush

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23342 Previous topic | Next topic