Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23199

Subject: "Serving On A Jury" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 07:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Serving On A Jury"

Why is it that so many people avoid this?

Countless numbers of people complain about Mumia and the bogus trial he got...pick any recent high profile trial out of a hat and I'll bet you that somebody somewhere complained that the jury was wack.

I know tons of intelligent, fair-minded, down-to-earth people...who the jury system could definitely benefit from...and they run from jury duty like the plague...

But let any one of them people find themselves on the wrong side of the law and they'll be sitting at the table hoping that the jury is fair, logical and listens to all the evidence and follows the judges instructions...etc.

So how can we expect fair trials if no people with common sense wanna serve on juries? Are juries made up of unemployed attention seekers w/nothing better to do with their days?

Just something to chew on...

Damali

Check out my new poem in Freestyle called "Until"...I need feedback!

"I just walked by Robert Johnson from BET..damn where is my Boondocks t shirt when i need it?"- JSmooth

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I do serve on a jury duty...
Aug 02nd 2000
good :-) n/m
Aug 02nd 2000
RE: Serving On A Jury
Aug 02nd 2000
RE: Serving On A Jury
Aug 02nd 2000
someone mentioned...
Aug 02nd 2000
      RE: someone mentioned...
Aug 02nd 2000
      janey, I've BEEN elligible.....
Aug 02nd 2000
           Could be
Aug 02nd 2000
      in illinois...
Aug 02nd 2000
good point
Aug 02nd 2000

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 07:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I do serve on a jury duty..."
In response to Reply # 0

..if nothing more thzn to try and be that brother for another brother who could possibly be getting railroaded by the powers that be. I've only done it once so far, but still if time permits me I do it.

And you gots no respect for me, is that right?
Well jump your ass on the train witcha backpack tight
and keep rappin, I'm floatin past all the stops
In a clean ass Benz I have all the props
Fuck credit from a rapper can you match my Visa
I heard your girlfriend was a real dick pleaser- Todd Shaw

"For the bitches that love dick, and masturbate, no need for that I put it down"- Jay Dee

"Facing Left"- by Jason Moran on Blue Note Records IN STORES NOW!! www.jasonmoran.com

--------------------

blah blah blah

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 08:00 AM

2. "good :-) n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

"I just walked by Robert Johnson from BET..damn where is my Boondocks t shirt when i need it?"- JSmooth

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 08:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Serving On A Jury"
In response to Reply # 0

Copied from my post in another thread (which you may have seen):

I've been called for jury duty twice (third time coming up in two weeks). I served on a jury only once - a criminal trial in which the accused was acquitted. He was acquitted because the prosecutor was not able to make a complete case. Not because the defense (pd) proved the prosecutor wrong. But because even if you accepted all the prosecution's hard evidence as true, it still didn't add up to the conclusions that the jury was asked to draw. Now THAT's a subtle distinction and one that not everyone on that jury got at first. I am very very proud to be able to say that I have done my part to keep the criminal justice system honest. It's a big pain for me to complete jury duty, because it doesn't mean that I have any smaller of a workload. It basically means that during jury duty I have to work two jobs -- my regular job plus the jury duty job. But I'm willing and happy to do it because, among other things, I think it's a learning opportunity, it's an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life, and it's an opportunity to participate in my government. Because, you know, the justice system is a part of the government.

Thanks for making this a topic rather than a side issue.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

nushooz
Member since Nov 05th 2002
14 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 08:06 AM

4. "RE: Serving On A Jury"
In response to Reply # 0

EXCELLENT point, Damali!

Our "peers" deserve some of that impartiality that them other folk been handing out...n/m? Actually I KNOW you nahmean.......

They won't call me though.....maybe its a conspiracy...maybe THEY know I'm EAGER to serve.....

ummmmmmmmmmm..............

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

Live from the Shoe Sto, the Mall and NOW the courtroom

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 08:12 AM

5. "someone mentioned..."
In response to Reply # 4

that you have to be a registered voter to get called for jury duty. Can someone confirm this for me?

Damali

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 08:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: someone mentioned..."
In response to Reply # 5

In California, DMV records are used for jury pools, not voter registration records.

It's not a matter, generally, of whether you are allowed to serve, it's a matter of how your name gets on their list. I'm pretty sure that eligibility is based on citizenship only.

'Shooz, I guarantee you, once you get called, they'll never stop -- it's like you get on their "sucker" list (I mean that affectionately, btw, because I'm happy to serve) and as soon as you're eligible they pull you back in.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

nushooz
Member since Nov 05th 2002
14 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 09:11 AM

9. "janey, I've BEEN elligible....."
In response to Reply # 7

I've been registered to vote since I was 18...
Immediatley registered when I moved to Charlotte 10 years ago....
I've been driving (with D.L) since the beginning of time (it seems)......
I always forward my mail when I move.....
And I've only been called ONCE - to be honest......
I STILL think it's a conspiracy!

Live
Nu
I,I, I Can't Wait!

Live from the Shoe Sto, the Mall and NOW the courtroom

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 11:19 AM

10. "Could be"
In response to Reply # 9

or maybe you're just not on their sucker list yet. I was registered for...uh...a few years longer than you when I was first called, and now I can't get 'em off my back.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

wbgirl
Charter member
5929 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 08:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "in illinois..."
In response to Reply # 5

i think they use voter registration records.

which is weird b/c i've only been called once and that was the summer after i turned 18...and i'm 23 now. now you've got me thinking...

~~wbg~~
AIM: wbgirl218 (although e-mail's still the easiest way to find me...)

http://www.breastcancer3day.org
between this and the (re), Chicago in 2001 will be on some whole new fantabulous shyt! (c) me

August as Quotewhoulike Month (c) me:
"I've learned that someone else's no can be my yes. For every door that's closed, there's another one waiting to be opened. There's an inner spirit guiding me every step of the way. If I can just take the time to listen to it and be true to it, the right people, the right places and the right circumstances will all come into my life when I'm ready for them." (c) Dr. Suzan Johnson Cook

~~wbg~~
"I pray sometimes to keep my head together,
because you can use prayer however you want.
There are no rules one way or the other."
--Jami Attenberg

http://helpcde.blogspot.com
http://queeneulalia.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/queeneulalia

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 08:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "good point"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm down when the time comes

res->one

LPP for life (light pockets posse)
on some ol' broke shit.

peace, okayplayers...
----------------------------------------
And now for fire's August is Bitch month:

"some ni**as I know act like bitches without breasts, dickriders..."- jeru

-----------------------