Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22868

Subject: "Ups-n-Downs of Working with Children" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 10:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ups-n-Downs of Working with Children"

This a venting post......
1. Last week i get two kids who have flunked 3 times. Okay, shouldn't the read light go off in a parents head after the first time? Okay maybe not the first time but definately the second time?
2. If your kid has flunked kindergarten then that means you may not have been doing what you needed to do at home. yes it is possible some of them may have a learning disability but what if they don't have one, that means the parents aren't doing their do. i don't care if you only have a second grade education, parents, you find help for your kids at an early age. But now they come to me to be the miracle worker and fix it all.
3. i had my first real disciplinary problem yesterday. one of my student hit another student in the mouth. she is a smart girl but she is very aggressive and got a flip mouth.
4. what's up with these people having all of these damn foster kids and adopted kids. that's kool if you can handle them but if you are 55 years old you don't need 4 little rascals giving you a heart attack.
5. reading is fundamental and our kids are struggling to read and comprehend.

just venting........

Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon
Aqua Beats and Moon Verses: Volume I
http://www.spokenexistence.com/aqua_moon.html

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Coincidence
Aug 02nd 2000
kidz wuth problems
cipher8
Aug 03rd 2000
RE: Ups-n-Downs of Working with Children
REM
Aug 03rd 2000
Aug 04th 2000
Off the path a little...
Aug 04th 2000
I used to counsel "at risk and probationers"
Aug 05th 2000
ffunkknots
Aug 06th 2000
I feel you...
Aug 07th 2000
Aug 10th 2000
Children R The Future
Wise_7
Aug 10th 2000
RE: Children R The Future
Aug 06th 2000

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 06:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Coincidence"
In response to Reply # 0

My sweet man (who has been a resource ed teacher in elementary school for 11 years) and I were talking just last night about what it means to fail kindergarten -- isn't it more about socialization and attention span and emotional maturity in kindergarten than whether a child is "smart" enough to go to first grade?

He says (just like you do) that in his experience parents don't want to hear about the problems, they just want to know what YOU're going to do to fix them AND they also get mad if they think you're telling them what to do with their own child. In fact, he and I had a long talk about what kind of presentation style works in various kinds of conversations.

We must be on the same wavelength as you.

I too believe that teachers are angels, but my experience with teachers is pretty limited and mine is definitely an angel. I often get upset when I think about the way we as a society undervalue teachers by not paying them enough.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

cipher8

Thu Aug-03-00 08:50 AM

2. "kidz wuth problems"
In response to Reply # 1

I teach seven and eight year olds at a community center every summer. I started when I was eighteen and this is my fourth year doing it. I've had kids who were abused and molested, who've had ADD, who've been through so much. I had this one little girl who was so angry that she would go off at a moments notice and intimidate and threaten people. She got suspended form school everyday. One day she went off on this other little girl and made her cry while we were walking to the library for story time. I asked her why and she sat down in the middle of traffic and would not get up. I asked her if she was upset about being suspended form school and she just started crying and said she missed her mother. I think her behavior has to do with getting her mother's attention. She thought that I was going to tell her mother what she had done--I think she was expecting it. Instead, I talked to her, and later that day I gave her asome heart shaped stationary to write about her feelings. She was very bright and had a lot of potential leadership qualities so I decided instead of punishing her all the time, I would try to give her leadership roles. The first week that worked well, but I had to get on her about being bossy to the other kids. It was a hard situation: we couldn't let her terroize other kids, or reward her for acting out, but we didn't want to always be punishing her all the time either. One day when I wasn't there she got suspened from the club and she hasn't come back. That is the hard part of working with kids. I felt like we lost the battle with her.

keep ur third eye on the sparrow-common

"flesh is full of holes
It is made to breathe
secrate receive
it is nothing against bombs and bullets
It is not meant to be a barrier against anything
But this dark flesh will resist you
flee you who believe
you are not made of the same skin and bones"--Cherrie Moraga

Who gave u/permission 2 rearrange me?/ certianly not me!--e. badu

Well behaved women rarely make HISstory.

http://www.homestead.com/waxrevolutionz/getup.html

REM

Thu Aug-03-00 10:21 AM

3. "RE: Ups-n-Downs of Working with Children"
In response to Reply # 0

The truth about education in America is that we as a nation do not truely value education or children. If we did there would not be 30 kids in a class. If we did teachers would make more money. If we did all schools would have all of the books and supplies necessary for learning to take place.
Teaching today is first about nurturing souls. Many of our children are in pain. As a teacher I know that before I can teach, I have to connect to my students. I must work to nurture their emotional well being. However, I think that most teachers will agree that the love you receive from your students when they know you care about them is priceless -- There is nothing more rewarding. Smetimes I feel sorry for people who have to work around adults all day long.

PEACE

phalnangel
Charter member
6 posts
Fri Aug-04-00 05:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: Ups-n-Downs of Working with Children"
In response to Reply # 0

keep the faith
share the wealth
give the love
~b.

*a conversation w/ my daddy*
D- B, go in there and clean the kitchen
Me- but daddy, I didn't even contribute to that mess...
D- (sigh) there are some things in life you just do because they need to be done. I mean, I don't ask the grass to grow, but it does...and I cut it

"how you gonna have a multiracial country but monoracial leadership?"
-readers digest (paraphrased)

"our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. we ask ourselves, who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? actually, who are you not to be? you are a child of God. your playing small does not serve the world. there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people wont feel insecure around you. we were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. it is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. as we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-maryann williamson, "a return to love"

Tank
Charter member
4903 posts
Fri Aug-04-00 05:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Off the path a little..."
In response to Reply # 0

My roomie Miss Maureen looks after some bastard rich kids for the summer. Anyweay, she was telling me about how horrible they are and how they treat her and I was like, "Wow, I could never do your job and I am never having children." So she turns to me and says -

"Oh I am definitely having children, if only for them to go and beat fuckers like them up!"

Peace,

Tank

Attention Vinyl Junkies - http://www.recordkingdom.com/

"I'm not older than you, I was just born first!" Miss. Maureen

"In the path of our happiness shall we find the learning for which we have chosen this lifetime." Richard Bach, Illusions

"As do many strong people, she had found herself a victim of the tyranny of the weak." Tom Robbins, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

---
"It's easy to blur the truth with a simple linguistic trick: start your story from "Secondly."" -- Mourid Barghouti

StirsDsoul
Charter member
27168 posts
Sat Aug-05-00 04:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I used to counsel "at risk and probationers""
In response to Reply # 0

Much respect to those of you in the field....and God bless you if you truly enjoy the work......there are SO many inappropriate people working with our chidren......

ffunkknots

Sun Aug-06-00 05:52 AM

7. "RE: Ups-n-Downs of Working with Children"
In response to Reply # 0

I just rejoined the Big Brother/Big Sis program last week, and one of my first questions was about disciplining...not that I want to really put my hands on someone else' child, but sometimes it is difficult dealing with unruly 12 year old boys, without worrying about a million dollar child-abuse lawsuit over your head.
Some kids have never had the care, love and attention they deserve, and their pain manifests itself. And unfortunately, some kids don't have any discipline because of their parents-not saying a belt will solve anything(or is even acceptable)but some mode of consequences must be established...
I feel your frustration and vent with you.
Not that it's very popular or politically correct today, but I believe in good old fashion whoopins(not beating or maiming)! ....memba when Grandmoma would make you choose the switch off the tree, and you thought that the smallest one wouldn't hurt? That 'switch' sound, slicing the air? Damn, just thinking about that make me wanna start blubbering!LOL

http://www.funkknots.com.
ORIGINAL HIP HOP INSPIRED ART!

"...The rooster had gotten horse in his old age, and sometimes his crow was nothing more than a whisper... but atleast that muthafucka tried!"
-Walter Mosely, Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Mon Aug-07-00 06:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I feel you..."
In response to Reply # 0

Parents these days seem to not want to take any resposibility for their kids actions. They always wanna pass the blame onto someone else. When I used to fuck up in school, my Mom always felt like it was because of something she didn't do, she never put blame on the teachers. God Bless good teachers like you, who care deeply about the children's future. I'm sure there are many parents who appricaite the guidance you give thier children.
________________________________________________________________________________
There are millions of stars, but there's only one Sun.
J-Sun - Professional Weed Smoker

~~~~~~~~~~ Celebrating August as Top 10 Month ~~~~~~~~~~

Top 10 Ways to Piss ?uestlove off.

10.Steal his Soul Train tapes.
9. Complain that "Like Water for Chocolate" is too 'musical'.
8. Beat him at laser tag.
7. Wait until he falls asleep on the tour bus and give him an S-Curl.
6. Complain about an all ages show for only $5.00.
5. Be Thickness
4. If you're D'Angelo, never wear drawers so he has to see your ass more than any hetrosexual man would ever want to.
3. Stand there like a zombie at his shows.
2. Steal his wooden drumsticks and replace them with turkey drumsticks.

And the number one way to piss ?uestlove off.........
1. Four words: Doug is a puta!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 10:25 AM

10. "RE: Ups-n-Downs of Working with Children"
In response to Reply # 0

if there is a heaven, whoever runs it makes teachers angels...except for Ms Beasley, my fifth grade teacher...she was dickhead...

keep striving...and imagine the good you do...and vent whenever you want

Bin luhvs the teachers...

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

Wise_7

Thu Aug-10-00 10:28 AM

11. "Children R The Future"
In response to Reply # 0

Word!!!!!!!
Parents need to take an active role in their child's life.
The one thing that really urks a teacher (a devoted one- that is) is that they have to be alarmed by a child who fails in his/her class just because the parents weren't doing their part.
Then the parents want to blame the Board of Ed. and the teacher because of this.
Yo, don't expect "school" to teach your child everything because "school" was not designed to do that.

"Webster's dictionary says wicked is evil, but yo, who is Webster"- ?

yoplay
Charter member
1440 posts
Sun Aug-06-00 07:53 PM

8. "RE: Children R The Future"
In response to Reply # 11

i agree with what you're saying, but i think the problem also needs to be looked at more deeply than just parents need to spend more time with their kids. the child getting some sort of education at home before starting kindergarten is extremely important. if they start kindergarten already behind the others, then it's only a matter of time, through tracking and ability grouping, that the gap between them and the other students is going to widen. sorry, back to my point. i think that the reason a lot of parents don't get their kids started at home is because they had such bad schooling experiences that they have no confidence at all with such matters. it puts a lot of pressure on the teacher to get that student caught up with the others.

there comes a time in every mans life when he's gotta handle shit up on his own Can't depend on friends to help you in a squeeze, please they got problems of their own---slim kid3

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22868 Previous topic | Next topic