Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22846

Subject: "Apathetic nonvoter right 'chere." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 01:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Apathetic nonvoter right 'chere."

About the only issue I care about is the social security and I'm guessing the soon to be powers that be will stick up fer the needs of the older senior citizens cuz...the Gen X-ers (ewwwwwwww, I'm in a fuckin group) like myself are apathetic non-voters. What are the 'real' stances that the Democratic and Republican parties have on this issue. Any other issue a Gen X-er like myself should care about? And I'm not glorifying the term Gen Xer either.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dear Apathetic nonvoter,
dividedwefall
Aug 01st 2000
Im for an equal tax n/m
Young_Isa
Aug 02nd 2000
You mean a flat tax?
Aug 02nd 2000
People don't vote because
Aug 10th 2000
      RE: People don't vote because
Aug 10th 2000
      everyone needs to vote
Aug 10th 2000
As a Gen-Xer
Aug 01st 2000
I have a problem...
Aug 02nd 2000
Think 401K or 403B
Aug 10th 2000
well holy fuck man.
Aug 10th 2000
      So....
Aug 10th 2000

dividedwefall

Tue Aug-01-00 03:27 PM

1. "Dear Apathetic nonvoter,"
In response to Reply # 0

Its obvious why there are so many apathetic voters, there aren't any choices!!! However, now we have one. Ralph Nader, running under the Green Party ticket, feels differently about issues than the Republicans and Democrats do. For example...

DEATH PENALTY : AGAINST
GLOBILIZATION : EXTREMELY LIMITED ROLE OF IMF AND WORLD BANK, NO MORE WTO
A PROGRESSIVE TAX WITH THE RICH PAYING THE MOST AND HEAVY TAX FALLING ON BAD THINGS i.e. POLLUTION

for more information visit www.votenader.com

Young_Isa

Wed Aug-02-00 09:07 AM

4. "Im for an equal tax n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

Make August Young_Isa quote month - Love him or Him..Just have a quote by Young_Isa or about Young_Isa

Click my Links there more intelligent that 62.38% of what I normally post.

}>
Learn about yourself -
http://WWW.STREETSCHOLAR.BIGSTEP.COM/
Mike Tyson speaking TRUTH -
http://espn.go.com/media/2000/q2/box_000624mt1a.wav
Beautiful woman
http://www.uvproductions.com/gallerywall0077.htm

Danny "Memo" Rameriz R.I.P.(World's #1 Triple H fan)

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "You mean a flat tax?"
In response to Reply # 4

Why? People who earn a whole lot more than everyone else should pay more b/c they get more from the system (politicians pay more attention to wealthy voters/contributors), because they can afford to pay more (assuming that there's a minimum dollar amount that a person needs to live on and anything above that is gravy, more or less), and because the more money you have, the more deductions you can create (i.e., like through charitable giving).

Charging everyone the same rate in taxes has been purported (at least by some psuedo-politicians like Steve Forbes) to solve the "no loopholes" dilemma and the "lots of paperwork" dilemma. But I assure you that resolving the "no loopholes" dilemma is a lot more complicated than changing the tax rates, and, as to the "lots of paperwork" dilemma, the SIMPLEST part of figuring your taxes is determining the dollar amount to be paid based on the graduated scale.

I strongly oppose a "flat" tax. It doesn't solve any of the problems that it purports to solve and it regresses the system that we already have in place -- in other words, poor people would pay an even higher percentage of the total amount of taxes paid in the country.

This is a proposal that rich people should like, not poor or middle class people.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 09:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "People don't vote because"
In response to Reply # 1

It is not in their interest to vote.

The chances that you will cast the deciding vote in a national election are worse than winning the lottery.

And if your candidate is going to win, he doesn't need your vote. If you candidate is going to lose, why do you need to vote at all?

the prisoner's dilemna as descibed in Political Participation 370L.

k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: People don't vote because"
In response to Reply # 7

uh, no offense, but this is some bullshit.

It is not in their interest to vote.

The chances that you will cast the deciding vote in a national election are worse than winning the lottery.

And if your candidate is going to win, he doesn't need your vote. If you candidate is going to lose, why do you need to vote at all?

its in EVERYONES interest to vote...sheesh, if you have an active disagreement with someone and their views 1) guaranteeed someone else will just as actively AGREE with them, and normally they will vote...

this is akin to saying that 'seperate but equal' was the status quo back in the day, and its been that way, so why vote to change it...please clarify your position if I stated it wrong....

on sabbatical.

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 10:39 AM

11. "everyone needs to vote"
In response to Reply # 7

whether your candidate wins or not. the political structure uses the demographic of voters to decide who to cater to in the next election. for instance if all of us young black people got out and voted our voices would be heard. don't get it twisted, EVERYONE should vote. or else "they" won't pay attention to you.

23july2000
u can't have my fire/they fear'd ur flame/& so sprayed caustic foam out of dbl sided lips/speakin like pale faces
w/broken peace pipes/U BLK/U UGLY/U
INK SPOT/which in it's translation of nigganglish resounded to/I AM BLK/
I AM UGLY/I DON'T HAVE IT SO I CAN'T WANNA LOVE U/beautiful transcriptionist u are...dark elegy/that heightens midnight stars/which pale in daylight
u spot of convection.../u say fierce real slow & be sayin "fire"/turn ur faces now to ur bricked bahamanian sphinx/look at her in ur wanton NEED
to be DARK as the meetin of mary's thighs/to be as BLK as sun spots
as UGLY as her heretofore eradicated nose/LOOK!!! at that blk girl gone blk
gone blue beyond blue beyond u
lookit fire y'all... leavin them w/burnt faces -k l moore
one...- the bad bitch asighn4jane

"respect my month or lick my rump! -fire da BITCH

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-01-00 03:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "As a Gen-Xer"
In response to Reply # 0

you should start by forgetting about social security and start saving for retirement. Social security has never been a "fund" that you pay into, earn interest or dividends, and then receive "your" money back when you retire. It was always set up in such a way that the people who are paying money right now are doing so in order to support the people who are old right now. Sometimes there are surpluses, but don't get confused over who it's for or what it's about.

So now, do I have you convinced that there's nothing to care about? Oooooh nooooo! Wait! Read on!

First, presidential elections. In some respects, they're probably the least important election you can vote in. What does the president really do, after all? He (excuse the gender bias here) doesn't pass legislation although he may introduce it or veto it (but if Congress feels strongly enough about it they can override his veto). What does he do? HE NOMINATES SUPREME COURT JUSTICES. That's the single most important thing that a president does. The next president will likely nominate three. That will impact your daily life for decades. Really. Daily life. Decades.

So vote so that your basic rights as a citizen will be protected by a Supreme Court that more accurately reflects your concerns because it was nominated by a president who represents you (or represents you better than someone else).

Another thing about presidential elections -- how much does your vote "count," anyway? Not much, huh? It's one little tiny vote in a country filled with little tiny votes and then they all get passed through the electoral college. Wow. Pretty useless, right? Wrong. If every person in the country who secretly thought of themselves as an Apathetic Gen-Xer were to vote (and I don't care even whether they all voted for the same person, just that they all vote), the country would be changed. The last person who energized the "youth" of this country and turned 'em out in numbers was Eugene McCarthy -- and that was before the federal voting age was lowered to 18. So that was a waste. No one, no one has been able to get young people to turn out in high numbers. What a radical statement it would be, what a revolution would be started, if people from 18 to 25 were to vote.

So try voting to make that statement.

Finally, take a good long look at that voter information pamphlet. There is a whole lot more on the ballot than just the presidential election. There are senators and representatives who are up for election/re-election. There are state level legislators on the ballot. There are county/city positions being filled, including judges -- the people that will act as judges in YOUR community. There are also laws being voted on, including tax laws, bond issues and, depending on your jurisdiction, maybe some vote-sponsored referenda or initiatives.

The smaller the community that gets to vote on the issue, the more your vote counts and the more likely you are to be affected by the outcome.

Don't let old, energetic people with nothing better to do than to volunteer at the League of Women Voters determine the outcome of these matters. Just because they're retired and don't want to sit around watching tv all day doesn't mean that you should let them dominate the elections. Besides, they're the ones that are eating up the Social Security money you pay each month!

Vote.

Really.

I can't tell you the specific issues on your ballot, because I don't know what they are, where you are, etc. But I guarantee you that, even if you don't think this or that issue matters much, making your voice heard DOES matter.

Have I gone on long enough? I can rant some more if you need it. Just let me know.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Wed Aug-02-00 08:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I have a problem..."
In response to Reply # 0

..with aligning myself with any particular group or even any particular candidate. I also refuse to vote for someone just to cancel someone else's vote out or because they are the lesser of the evils. I voted for our current mayor because he was black and I had strong reservations about it at the time because he seems a little stupid.

AUGUST IS THE EIGHT MONTH (but here some quotes with the word bitch in them)

"Life ain't nothing but bitches and money"-Ice Cube

"For the bitches that love dick.."- Jay Dee

"You keep talking like a bitch, I'm a slap you like a bitch.." -Vic Vega (Reservoir Dogs)

*eyeing celly as it rings* "Lemme see what bitch this is...Hey bitch.."-Kenny Red (American Pimp)

--------------------

blah blah blah

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 09:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Think 401K or 403B"
In response to Reply # 0

Tax Deferred investment accounts.

$2,000.00 invested today @15% interest in 40 years becomes 256,000. Invest 8,000 between 25-29, and you will be living it up at 60. You could live off the interest of your money, never touching the principal. set up a dynasty trust for your family, and you too can own an estate in New England.

If you even think about social security you are not thinking about your own future.
peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 10:06 AM

9. "well holy fuck man."
In response to Reply # 6

BERRY good looking out. I'll have to save up more money before I can get 2Gs, but thanks man.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 10:36 AM

10. "So...."
In response to Reply # 9

any chance we've convinced you to vote?

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=