Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22344

Subject: "the truth about emimem and white people" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
theSquire88

Tue Aug-08-00 06:02 PM

"the truth about emimem and white people"

I know nobody wants to talk about Eminem, but everywhere I go, I can't stop hearing him or seeing his face, so these words must be spoken.

Is he a hero for white people?
The way they've bought up his records and glorify him makes me believe that they are so glad to finally have a legitimate reason to listen to what they beleive is hip-hop.

Now white people no longer have to imitate, as now, they believe they are hip-hop.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: the truth about emimem and white people
bugginout!
Aug 08th 2000
Aug 09th 2000
Idontmuchcaredo
Aug 10th 2000
PDB
Aug 08th 2000
good point here
Aug 08th 2000
Aug 08th 2000
Aug 11th 2000
A hero? Are you joking?
Aug 08th 2000
what alotta white people don't realize ...
Aug 09th 2000
yes
Aug 09th 2000
i know that, for me personally,
shockalicious
Aug 09th 2000
oh, and btw
shockalicious
Aug 09th 2000
WHOA!!!
Dulce478
Aug 09th 2000
oh lawd *sardonic chuckle*
shockalicious
Aug 09th 2000
      Oh please...
Dulce478
Aug 09th 2000
           bullshitting is my forte
shockalicious
Aug 10th 2000
                Oh, fuck....
Dulce478
Aug 10th 2000
                     total silence
shockalicious
Aug 11th 2000
                          LOL.....n/m
Dulce478
Aug 11th 2000
You had me for a minute
Aug 11th 2000
      the original post
shockalicious
Aug 11th 2000
My thoughts
Dulce478
Aug 09th 2000
RE: My thoughts
epiphany
Aug 14th 2000
weird.
Aug 10th 2000
uh oh...........
Aug 11th 2000
El P is........
Aug 10th 2000
RE: El P is........
Aug 10th 2000
Aug 10th 2000
The Beasties
Aug 11th 2000
Well,
Aug 14th 2000
      I stopped listening
Aug 15th 2000
Aug 11th 2000
      Lets not forget LL
mistahg
Aug 11th 2000
OneThousand
Aug 10th 2000
EMINEM AND WHITEY
d-Best
Aug 10th 2000
      RE: EMINEM AND WHITEY
OneThousand
Aug 10th 2000
Aug 10th 2000
RE: the truth about Tupac and Biggie
remedy_one
Aug 10th 2000
Eff that shit!
Crossfaded
Aug 10th 2000
RE: Eff that shit!
Aug 10th 2000
i dont' believe i'm saying this
Aug 11th 2000
      RE: i dont' believe i'm saying this
Mike1
Aug 12th 2000
           nuff said bruh.
Aug 14th 2000
who cares?
Aug 15th 2000
Eminem:Purpose?
Aug 15th 2000
LATimes
Aug 15th 2000
RE: Eminem and pop culture
sponge
Aug 16th 2000

bugginout!

Tue Aug-08-00 06:27 PM

1. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 0

As much as white people can love hip-hop (I am white, and I do like hip-hop a lot), it's still odd to be listening to a artform that is so distant from them. Many rap artists grew up poor and facing hardships that simply cannot be comprehended by a white person. Many white people (meaning more than blacks), and it seems especially those who listen to hip-hop, grew up comfortably. And of course looking at America completely different than a black man does.

That said, white kids can be very intimitated when faced with the majority of rap artists. But when they see a famous and talented rap artists who looks like them, the intimidation is diminished. No longer are they faced with the fear of blacks saying, "That doesn't belong to you." He is the white man's rhyming hero.

As a white guy listening to hip-hop, I do feel somewhat like a peeping Tom. Playing rap music in the car is always a problem. I, or whoever I'm riding with will turn it down near a black person. It's so fucking uncomfortable, and even embarassing, blasting the word "nigger" near black people. I feel like I've stolen something from them and should pop the CD out and give it "back." I don't feel this when listening to Eminem.

Finally...
Why is Eminem the white man's rap icon, and not El-P, Sole, MC Paul Barman, or MC Serch? Simply because Eminem has been played as a white man much more than the aforementioned MCs. It's not his fault, I don't think. It might not be anybody's fault. But Eminem gets mad attention because of his skin color.

Please note that this was typed somewhat fast and parts of it may not make as much sense as I'd like them to.

Charlton

"Punch the monkey and win 20 dollars"

nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Wed Aug-09-00 04:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 1

myth, many/most/all hip hop artist were poor digging in the gutter....

white folks are intimidated.....i can't tell considering they buy way more hip hop/soul/r-n-b music than Black people. record sales aren't high b/c Black folks buy it, non-blacks make the sales sky rocket.

Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon
Aqua Beats and Moon Verses: Volume I
http://www.spokenexistence.com/aqua_moon.html

Idontmuchcaredo

Thu Aug-10-00 09:04 AM

18. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 1

>As a white guy listening to
>hip-hop, I do feel somewhat
>like a peeping Tom. Playing
>rap music in the car
>is always a problem. I,
>or whoever I'm riding with
>will turn it down near
>a black person. It's so
>fucking uncomfortable, and even embarassing,
>blasting the word "nigger" near
>black people. I feel like
>I've stolen something from them
>and should pop the CD
>out and give it "back."

What else are people who aren't black suppose to feel about rap/hip-hop? They hear statements like this and of course they're going to feel bad about listening to rap/hip-hop! Ingorance is a bitch!!!!!

Is he a hero for white people?
The way they've bought up his records and glorify him makes me believe that they are so glad to finally have a legitimate reason to listen to what they beleive is hip-hop.

"Shut the fuck up bitch,Eat a dick bitch,Eat a bowl of shit bitch!"Kurupt
"I'm a throw shade if I can't get paid blow you up to your girl like the Army grenade!"Lil Kim

PDB

Tue Aug-08-00 07:05 PM

2. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know that eminem could be considered a hero for anyone. Is it assumed that all "white" people like Eminem ? If so, is this because he is "white" or a good MC ?

As for turning down your stereo 'cause you don't feel comfortable playing hip hop, I can't understand why you'd do that. Play whatever you want however loud you want.

Eminem has skills and can write but he is living off controversy at the moment. I wonder how many albums he'd sell without the shock tactics and Dre ? Who knows...maybe he'd sell anyway.

Dove
Charter member
32915 posts
Tue Aug-08-00 07:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "good point here"
In response to Reply # 2

>Eminem has skills and can write but he is living off controversy at the moment. I wonder how many albums he'd sell without the shock tactics and Dre ?

He is NOT one of my heros - but then again - I'm not white - I'm peach
Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

"you can still be kind and have sex you know....otherwise, nice people wouldn't reproduce and the world would be full of assholes" - Phil

http://UrbLife.com
http://twitter.com/FlyLikeDove
http://instagram.com/FlyLikeDove
http://Facebook.com/FlyLikeDove
http://flylikedove.contently.com

thisisme
Charter member
613 posts
Tue Aug-08-00 09:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 2

without dre i think eminem would do just fine. kamybe he wouldnt be selling as many records but hed do just fine. the slim shady ep blew up... without dre his underground crowd would still be following him instead of debating on wheather or not he sold out

LA outkast/OkayOutsidaz representative

"i am the master of the ceremony so my territory be off limits to gimmicks and niggas with wack lyrics and tracks that lack spirits so pop your collar fuck a dollar, i'm at ya tough and hard to swallow hard act to follow never the role model the what not set up shots slipknot my way to the top of the pile then changed the direction of it from the niggas that hate it to niggas that love it what you want from it a reputation a luxurious life maybe find you a hoe that you could transform into a house wife you loose stripes when you recite thru your wind pipes with action cameras and lights and your shit ain't tight it's on on sight thug rugged the love of it push it slanged it shove it in the vein we dope remain with smoke, remote with tash and ras kass six months of full blast bitch, gimme dat ass...ha ha" xzibit~in my face

thisisme---the golden state warrior

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Aug-11-00 07:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 4

>without dre i think eminem would
>do just fine. kamybe
>he wouldnt be selling as
>many records but hed do
>just fine.

"maybe" he wouldn't? let's put it this way. without dre, eminem was a popular underground artist. with dre, eminem is a mega-star. if you have any commercial potential and you hook up with dre, dre WILL blow you up. the formula is talent + violent/misogynist lyrics + dre = success. ask snoop. he took the dre out of the equation for his second album and his sales dropped by half.

I feel confident in saying that Dre made Eminem a star, because Eminem's pre-Dre records were just as good and didn't sell 1/100th as much.

Spread love,

Spirit
http://www.theamphibians.com

August is Top 10 Month...

The 10 Reasons why you should go to http://www.theamphibians.com

(1) the all-american jerk boy awards...guilliani is leading...
(2) for your convenience, we only do updates once every blue moon
(3) because i'll break your legs if you don't
(4) you need a reason to put off clipping your toenails for 7 more minutes
(5) the bizarre user names (mr. bungles, angry armenian, spottieottiedopalicious etc.)
(6) the good posts that get completely unrecognized
(7) the amazingly true story of me getting mugged, somewhere in there
(8) the goofy bios
(9) to figure out what the hell "fermented bells" are
(10) because you're tired of reading this long ass lists of reasons....just click it! http://www.theamphibians.com

9 out of 10 people with two arms find something interesting about http://www.theamphibians.com
This summer: new audio, same odd sense of humor. Don't get "left" out, mossie your two-armed self on over and check it out.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Tue Aug-08-00 09:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "A hero? Are you joking?"
In response to Reply # 0

Does he wear a cape? Is he gonna fly in to save the day?

Thanks for reading. I love you.

In Rotation:
LTJ Bukem - Journey Inwards
Deftones - White Pony
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Ras Michael - Rastafari Dub
Slum Village - Fantastic Vol II
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

don't be fkn evil.

reefdogg
Charter member
2870 posts
Wed Aug-09-00 02:40 AM

6. "what alotta white people don't realize ..."
In response to Reply # 0

is that eminem had a HARD time growing up that strikes more similarities to inner city black and hispanic youth than suburban whites ... yet suburban whites (at least the ones that i have talked to) still see him as "one of them" and claim to be able to identify with him ...

whenever i hear that, i think of when i went to private high school and met the african american students there, who were mostly from affluent families ...

could i relate to them?

not really

----
IM and ICQ name: reefdogg1 (number one at the end)

where my Jersey heads at?!?!?!

okayivyleagueplayer reppin Brown University and NSBE region ONE !!!!

"you're either part of the problem or you're part of the solution .. what's your contribution to life?" - J5

"the rule of allah is god's equality / i desire for my brothers, the same that i desire for me / but when my brother's stay dying, of everything else but old age / my heart fills up with what, RAGE!!!!!" - J-Live (thanks d_dog)

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Wed Aug-09-00 03:11 AM

7. "yes"
In response to Reply # 0

the white kids are just able to sneak a rap album past their parents cause it has a white face on the cover.

23july2000
u can't have my fire/they fear'd ur flame/& so sprayed caustic foam out of dbl sided lips/speakin like pale faces
w/broken peace pipes/U BLK/U UGLY/U
INK SPOT/which in it's translation of nigganglish resounded to/I AM BLK/
I AM UGLY/I DON'T HAVE IT SO I CAN'T WANNA LOVE U/beautiful transcriptionist u are...dark elegy/that heightens midnight stars/which pale in daylight
u spot of convection.../u say fierce real slow & be sayin "fire"/turn ur faces now to ur bricked bahamanian sphinx/look at her in ur wanton NEED
to be DARK as the meetin of mary's thighs/to be as BLK as sun spots
as UGLY as her heretofore eradicated nose/LOOK!!! at that blk girl gone blk
gone blue beyond blue beyond u
lookit fire y'all... leavin them w/burnt faces -k l moore
one...- the bad bitch asighn4jane

"respect my genius, suck my penius!" - young isa/my dawg

"respect my month or lick my rump! -fire da BITCH

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

shockalicious

Wed Aug-09-00 06:03 PM

9. "i know that, for me personally,"
In response to Reply # 0

"it's been a huge relief to see Eminem blow up.

Although i've been listening to hip hop for the last 13 years of my life, there was always that nagging itch in the back of my mind that this music that i loved was made primarily by black people, and thus limited by that fact.. if only a white rapper could arise, a 'messiah' who could truly elevate hip hop to reach it's full potential, much in the same way as rock music was elevated by Elvis Presley.

of course in the last 13 years that i've listened to hip hop, there have been forerunners, or prophets, if you will, who have paved the way for Eminem, such as 'The Beastie Boys', '3rd Bass', 'Young Black Teenagers'(although they may have been false prophets, as their album was produced by the Bomb Squad - who also produced Public Enemy, that late 80s/early 90s hate-mongering group, plus one of them appeared in the House Party sequel, praising MALCOLM X!!), and of course the powerful wordsmith that was 'Vanilla Ice' (whose career was destroyed by Suge Knight, btw, in a conspiracy largely ignored by the hip hop nation, and yet, the 'who killed tupac and biggie?' debate still rages)

finally the promised one, the 'Great White Hope', is here in the magnificent European visage that is Marshall 'Eminem' Mathers. finally, hip hop has credibility.

so with Eminem leading the way in hip hop, and N'Sync, Backstreet Boys and the immensely talented Britney Spears revolutionising 'Soul' music, i feel that it is time to do some re-thinking about how the music is classified. Obviously hip hop/soul/r&b should no longer be referred to as 'Black' music..

i was going to say that you could keep raggamuffin, but i somehow forgot about 'Snow'. (Does anyone know when his new cd is going to drop? i was talking to this kid at the mall and he said that it was going to be 'the bomb')

anyway, there's so much more that could be said about the greatness of Eminem, but i'll have to post later..

i'm running late for a Klan meeting"

is that the answer you were after?

votes ckforfuhreroncewegetthethirdreichupandhappeningagain

shockalicious

Wed Aug-09-00 06:29 PM

10. "oh, and btw"
In response to Reply # 9

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/590.html#11

if you connect the dots, you'll have MY answer

s ck

Dulce478

Wed Aug-09-00 10:07 PM

12. "WHOA!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

>the powerful wordsmith that
>was 'Vanilla Ice' (whose career
>was destroyed by Suge Knight,
>btw, in a conspiracy largely
>ignored by the hip hop
>nation, and yet, the 'who
>killed tupac and biggie?' debate
>still rages)

You think Vanilla Ice is that hot? He was doin' his thing back in the day, but I don't believe his lyrics were revolutionary. "Ice, Ice Baby" is hardly a classic. Biggie and Tupac were among the best rap artists of all time and their loss is still felt in the black community. Both had tight ass lyrics and nither Vanilla Ice or Em can even touch them.

>finally, hip hop has credibility.

Hip hop had credibility b4 he came, if not more.
Although Em is a good lyricist (if he can for once get of the whole "I hate N'Sync, Brittney Spears, etc." tip), he didn't come into the game and anything really important happen. He had better lyrics back in his Slim Shady LP and Infinite days. By releasing "My Name Is", he wanted attention and got it. He got white people to listen to hip hop, his own brand of hip hop. But now, he is placed in the pop category rather than hiphop. People just ate his shit up.

>so with Eminem leading the way
>in hip hop, and N'Sync,
>Backstreet Boys and the immensely
>talented Britney Spears revolutionising 'Soul'
>music, i feel that it
>is time to do some
>re-thinking about how the music
>is classified.

Whoa!! Hold the fuck up! Brittney Spears ain't sayin' nothin' worth hearing. Again, catchy tunes make the ears of youngsters rise to listen. Every song that she releases sounds the same!! All Brittney can do is smile and look pretty for the camera. She is a good dancer, I'll give her that, but there isn't much else. And as for Em, he is not leading hip hop anywhere. Biggie and Tupac were leading hip hop cuz they had lyrics that most couldn't fuck with. They always took shit to a different level that people weren't afraid to embrace. They could have done great things had they lived. Remember: record sales and popularity do not equal greatness, lyrics do. And that comment is exactly what I am trying to say, white people get all giddy cuz one of their own is sellin' records and see how they are growing and believe that all of a sudden, muthafuckas like BSB are gonna change the world. BSB, Brittney Spears, and all the rest of them are just a FAD.

>hop/soul/r&b should no longer be
>referred to as 'Black' music..

True, cuz I bet there are plenty of white chicks that have soul. Teena Marie is one of the most noticeable. Also that chick Pink seemed to have a little to offer. Hip hop/Soul/R&B are primarily black though.

I think that white people are just glad that someone on their team is finally playing well and not striking out.

~Dulce~

shockalicious

Wed Aug-09-00 10:20 PM

13. "oh lawd *sardonic chuckle*"
In response to Reply # 12

how could you take that ish seriously?

and then, taking it seriously, not comment on 'running late for a Klan meeting'? hello?

now that's funny

s ckedireallyam

Dulce478

Wed Aug-09-00 10:42 PM

14. "Oh please..."
In response to Reply # 13

...don't act like you weren't serious. You just tryin' to cover that shit up. Nice try, s ck, but I spoke my peace and your post was to perfect spring board for me to express myself. But thanks . I really appreciate your bullshit.

~Dulce~

shockalicious

Thu Aug-10-00 07:46 PM

27. "bullshitting is my forte"
In response to Reply # 14

but don't front, dulce
you fell for it, hook, line, and sinker

s ckzilla, baby

Dulce478

Thu Aug-10-00 09:42 PM

28. "Oh, fuck...."
In response to Reply # 27

So I did fall for it! So what!
But seriously, there are people who worship Em and think that he's the King of Hip Hop. I just don't dig that. Your post really fucked with me and I had to respond, truth or falsehood. But thanks again for the load of horse shit . This didn't make me look like a total ass....did it???

~Dulce~

shockalicious

Fri Aug-11-00 03:59 AM

29. "total silence"
In response to Reply # 28

in the background, crickets chirp..

justs ckinwithyouitsalllove

Dulce478

Fri Aug-11-00 07:02 PM

38. "LOL.....n/m"
In response to Reply # 29

:P

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Fri Aug-11-00 05:40 AM

32. "You had me for a minute"
In response to Reply # 9

but as I kept reading, I knew you had to be joking. That was one of the funniest post's I've read on this board in the full year I've been here.

The sad thing is, some of the people on this board are conceited enough to believe what you joke about!

BTW, how was the Klan meeting?

Peace

Pseudonym-less Wendell

Peace

Wendell

shockalicious

Fri Aug-11-00 06:01 AM

34. "the original post"
In response to Reply # 32

fucking pissed me off at first.. so i set about satirising the notion that i would idolise a rapper because he happened to be white

but i do realize that not all melanin-challenged (will that do, koalalove?) people are as enlightened as eye..

but glad u enjoyed it.. i effing love it, (modesty is NOT my forte), and i still laugh at it

for those of u left with any lingering doubts about my intent, PLEASE check the link BELOW that post

oh, and dulce, i effing love you man

i'm sorry

s ckingegotist

Dulce478

Wed Aug-09-00 09:29 PM

11. "My thoughts"
In response to Reply # 0

I think that since white people think that hip hop is not an art form that belongs to them, they probably feel that since Em is white, they have a represenatative. But I think that they identify more with his color than his music. That's why white kids got their Marshall Mathers LP next to Korn and Incubus. It's also why Em has a tough time separating himself from other rock or pop acts.

He had a hard time in his youth, he says that sometimes in his lyrics, but what I notice about whites who listen to him, it that they don't pay attention to lyrics. They go along with the popularity of the song. They like that he has come into the hip hop world and is sellin' records. Em could be spittin' rhymes that are wack as hell and I bet that he would still go platinum. If the tracks are laced with good beats and a nice hook, it wouldn't matter what he rapped. I don't know any black people who have any of his albums. His popularity is mostly among whites. Granted that there are times when his rhymes are tight, I just don't see that kind of buzz among black folk.

But right now, he makes money off dissin' other people and bitchin' about his life. Without the shock tactics, he wouldn't be making such a splash. He wouldn't be as popular, but gain more respect if he did the same shit he did w/o Dre.

~Dulce~

epiphany

Mon Aug-14-00 01:34 PM

42. "RE: My thoughts"
In response to Reply # 11

>He had a hard time in
>his youth, he says that
>sometimes in his lyrics, but
>what I notice about whites
>who listen to him, it
>that they don't pay attention
>to lyrics.
that's what I call a good rule of thumb...when in doubt, generalize generalize generalize

They go along
>with the popularity of the
>song.
ummm, and what/who exactly made him popular?

>But right now, he makes money
>off dissin' other people and
>bitchin' about his life.
Yeah, I don't know ANY other hiphop artists who have ever dissed anyone or talked about their own life expiriences in their rhymes. GREAT POINT!!
(btw, that was a case of extreme sarcasm, in case you didn't notice)

Without
>the shock tactics, he wouldn't
>be making such a splash.
>He wouldn't be as popular,
>but gain more respect if
>he did the same shit
>he did w/o Dre.
speculation, speculation, speculation....
without the "shock tactics" he wouldn't be eminem.
and as far as canning his producer, well, maybe we should see what would happen if snoop never worked with dre, biggie with puff, d'angelo and quest, tlc and austin, wack ass silkk and P, dmx without swizz, nas without the help of premier, aaliyah and timbaland, brady and jenkins, da brat and jermaine dupri, missy and jodeci....whatever...
c'mon man, if you know hiphop, you know that colaborations are a huge part of the music.
and please, don't give me shit about how if an artist is truely the talented, they can stand on their own...everyone has help from somewhere, whether it be production, promoting, ghost writers..yada yada yada. shit I respect the talented, but I sure as hell don't discredit anyone who isn't able to rhyme, spin, promote, sing, fund, play all the instruments, and effin be their own back-up dancer at the same time. that would be a circus. if you don't atleast appreciate em, that's cool, but don't knock him for having a dope producer...that's bull. oh and btw, Mel-Man did a huge chunk of the production on Eminem's latest, along with Eminem himself. but I bet you've got something to say about that too...

peace

"the Pu-tang Clan!?! I loooovveee you guys!" -Hugh Heffner, when he met the RZA at a backstreet boys party

Vet
Charter member
8412 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 03:56 AM

15. "weird."
In response to Reply # 0

eminem is just as sick of white folks as some other folks in this country. man will folks get off of this kid. geez oh fucking peas! he was raised around black folks in the ghettos of detroit. what do u expect? he just reflects HIS environment. he is no saviour for white folks or validation. i'm sorry, you can curse and damn me. screaming "you're fucking wrong" with your lungs but i will always say that hip hop is a black artform. most folks are merely participants in this, voyeurs even. eminem actually has talent, he's a keen story teller. he is to rap what eric clapton is to the blues. dig?

QuOTeS 4 tOoDay...WEEK/DAY... whatever my mood

NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW 4 8 8 00

I just want to know what the fuck is the problem with these hefas, they always fighting and never name dropping.
Unite callings are always coming up because somebody doesn't like somebody or some bullshit. I don't like
TheGoodReverendDrJ, but I tell him that shit in his face. Fuck the unite, but up your dukes and fight...!!
-SkipgotSkills

"no one tells you about being no artist man, on career day" - jane

...you are the syfl to my ollie
me to don

Resident Poets' Quotables

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/freestyle/5207.html

then the CD skipped on the word
"love me"
how much joy can be found in repetition
when you seemed doomed to make the same mistakes
the same mistakes
the same mistakes
see how it messes up the flow of just being - IMPROV!

...she had a body like a cello with legs
i mean the ass was absurd
long neck
smooth skin
pretty face
cookie nipples
eyes wide as her hips
full lips between dimples

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Fri Aug-11-00 04:10 AM

30. "uh oh..........."
In response to Reply # 15

"respect my genius, suck my penius!" - young isa/my dawg

"respect my month or lick my rump!"-fire da BITCH

"my conscience is clearer than a mirror ." - me

"wasn't me!" - eddie murphy/raw

"diva's need love 2." - cupcake via klymaxx

fire - okayplayer's resident leona helmsley

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

JUSTICE
Charter member
17889 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 04:49 AM

16. "El P is........"
In response to Reply # 0

My hero and I'm not "white"

JUSTICE
Top Ten Links!
10. http://www.recordkingdom.com
9. http://www.recordkingdom.com
8. http://www.recordkingdom.com
7. http://www.recordkingdom.com
6. http://www.recordkingdom.com
5. http://www.recordkingdom.com
4. http://www.recordkingdom.com
3. http://www.recordkingdom.com
2. http://www.recordkingdom.com
1. http://www.recordkingdom.com
There's a reason we pimp this site, I found a Melvin Sparks and some other rare ass shit, so Email me your credit card # so I can buy it. DAMN TRW REPORTS!

++++++++++++++++++++++++
myspace.com/sonnyphono
dlxsf.com

Dose
Charter member
2422 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 06:29 PM

25. "RE: El P is........"
In response to Reply # 16

El-P is my hero as well---El-P the same emcee who claims that Mr. Len is whiter than he is.
really take away the race matter that we are all playing. if you were to never know eminem was white would you listen to him?? it is as simple as that.
and being "white kids hero"...who was their hero before "my name is..." dropped??? Jay-Z, Puffy, or whatever MTV happened to have at the top of it's rap charts, right? i don't really think that race is the issue here (of course it has some relevance)...i believe it is simply what the majority of suburbian kids have access to. eminem has been around for a long minute, but was he white kids hero before we all saw him on MTV?? the answer is simply...no. if he never had hit singles he would still be an underground sensation. Not a topic of racial debate.

don't confuse this...i am not an eminem fan...probably never will be.
just trying to point out what seems everyone is looking over.

"drinking water out the well of life then i'ma piss it back rusty"-El-P

http://thh2000.cjb.net

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 06:40 AM

17. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't Forget the Beastie Boys. They have been consistantly amazing for 15 years!!!!! how many other rap groups can you say that about???? (a handful at most) They have done more for rap than a lot of other acts. Man think about it, they helped bring live instrumentation into the rap world!!!!! (of course the Roots were a part of this as well) The Beastie Boys are still one of the Best Rap groups of all times. Stop hating cause they're white!!!!!

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Fri Aug-11-00 05:57 AM

33. "The Beasties"
In response to Reply # 17

started out as a joke and they continue to be a joke. They've been kept alive by whites who want to be a part of inner city music/culture, but not listen to the issues that come along with inner city culture/music. They aren't, nor were they ever pioneers, although they are old school. They did not introduce instrumentation to Hip Hop. The only thing they added to this artform is expanding it's listening base.

You are disallusioned.

Peace

Pseudonym-less Wendell

Peace

Wendell

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Mon Aug-14-00 11:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
41. "Well,"
In response to Reply # 33

I wouldn't go so far as to call them pioneers either, but 'Paul's Boutique' is a fuckin musical masterpiece. The sampling on that lp was ahead of it's time, and many of your favorite veteran rap producers will attest to that.
________________________________________________________________________________
There are millions of stars, but there's only one Sun.
J-Sun - Professional Weed Smoker

"You couldn't be the shit if you were a turd in me" - Plug Won

~~~~~~~~~~ Celebrating August as Top 10 Month ~~~~~~~~~~

Top 10 Ways to Piss ?uestlove off.

10.Steal his Soul Train tapes.
9. Complain that "Like Water for Chocolate" is too 'musical'.
8. Beat him at laser tag.
7. Wait until he falls asleep on the tour bus and give him an S-Curl.
6. Complain about an all ages show for only $5.00.
5. Be Thickness
4. If you're D'Angelo, never wear drawers so he has to see your ass more than any hetrosexual man would ever want to.
3. Stand there like a zombie at his shows.
2. Steal his wooden drumsticks and replace them with turkey drumsticks.

And the number one way to piss ?uestlove off.........
1. Four words: Doug is a puta!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Tue Aug-15-00 05:34 AM

43. "I stopped listening"
In response to Reply # 41

to the Beasties after Liscence to Ill, so I'll take your word on the Boutiue cd. I've never heard it, so I can't make a call.

Peace

Pseudonym-less Wendell

BTW, I THINK I'm gonna make it on Saturday.

Peace

Wendell

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Aug-11-00 07:33 AM

36. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 17

>Don't Forget the Beastie Boys. They
>have been consistantly amazing for
>15 years!!!!!

musically, yes.

lyrically, no.

and if it was just about music, i think too short has been fairly consistent. ditto for premier/gangstarr.

Spread love,

Spirit
http://www.theamphibians.com

August is Top 10 Month...

The 10 Reasons why you should go to http://www.theamphibians.com

(1) the all-american jerk boy awards...guilliani is leading...
(2) for your convenience, we only do updates once every blue moon
(3) because i'll break your legs if you don't
(4) you need a reason to put off clipping your toenails for 7 more minutes
(5) the bizarre user names (mr. bungles, angry armenian, spottieottiedopalicious etc.)
(6) the good posts that get completely unrecognized
(7) the amazingly true story of me getting mugged, somewhere in there
(8) the goofy bios
(9) to figure out what the hell "fermented bells" are
(10) because you're tired of reading this long ass lists of reasons....just click it! http://www.theamphibians.com

9 out of 10 people with two arms find something interesting about http://www.theamphibians.com
This summer: new audio, same odd sense of humor. Don't get "left" out, mossie your two-armed self on over and check it out.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

mistahg

Fri Aug-11-00 04:43 PM

37. "Lets not forget LL"
In response to Reply # 36

Remember Im an artist and Im sensitive about my shit- Erykah Badu

OneThousand

Thu Aug-10-00 09:21 AM

19. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 0

Eminem is a dope MC. Period. Sure, his main attraction for some is his shocking lyrics and his "bad" attitude. Others are gonna really appreciate the tightness of his rhymes. If he wasn't so shocking, he'd be just another underground, underrated MC.

I don't think white people look at him as a hero, but he does represent that "trailer park 'hood" that ghetto-ologists are always overlooking. But none of that should matter. Just eveluate his skill level and decide whether or not you can feel his vibe before you start thinking about his race. By then it WON'T matter.

peese.

d-Best

Thu Aug-10-00 09:52 AM

20. "EMINEM AND WHITEY"
In response to Reply # 19

'aight i'll try to address everyone at once...

I have believed for some time, that Eminem is, what we commonly refer to as, a "busta'" (--not busta rhymes)

i listened to the NEW album.

I still think he's a busta', but... there's method to his busta'

The whole new album is basically talking shit on the white people that dig his sound, and the parents that are like "why are you saying naughty things."

NOW, this doesn't change that I don't understand what he's about (if anything), but it says he's conscious of what's going on.

Some white people aren't remarkably interested in Eminem at all, though the social abstract of "White People" no doubt see him as a "breakthrough artist"

"White People" want to be cool, i'm sure they do. Their first step is to sweat black culture, then to be wannabees, and perhaps if they're exposed long enough, and meet some progressives, they'll open their damn eyes and stop being all fake about what they like "yo, i'm down... i'm down..."

Many of these cats who think Eminem is the shit are these "White People" in the early stages of sweating black culture, which is to say that they dig stuff, but are still nervous around black.

THESE cats include frat boys, people who wear abercrombie & fitch, and other associated white bustaz. THESE cats think Eminem is dope, and will scream Eminem lyrics in the face of any black cats that walk into their party "...see i can rap, yo, i can rap"

I have no intention of buying his album, and when I saw him on TV, I thought he was a total ass (it was that fashion show thing with Jay-Z, and Eminem was tryin' to grind up on all these models, which obviously made them uncomfortable).

I won't steamroll his albums though (poor milli vanilli, such a treasure...)

OneThousand

Thu Aug-10-00 10:21 AM

22. "RE: EMINEM AND WHITEY"
In response to Reply # 20

As I've already said, Eminem is simply a dope MC. If you find it hard to believe that a white person is capable of being such, then I find it hard to believe that you are not racist. Now I'm not calling you that, but I think you should reconsider your priorities when you evaluate artists. I'm black (mostly) by the way. When I first heard "My Name Is" on the radio, I had no idea who Eminem was. I was just like, "YO! Who is this? Skillz iz up!!" I eventually saw the video, and I am proud to say I was neither surprised, nor dissapointed. Why have some Okayplayers still not learned to judge an artist by his art and not by his ethnic background? I mean excuse me, but WTF?!

Iltigo
Charter member
8609 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 10:06 AM

21. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 0

Nope..only to teeny-bobber TRL whte chics (sorry for the generilation) eminem has transformed (or been transformed) from an ill MC with a sick sence of humor, to a cacacature of what he once was. His albums sell because he is the typical Rock&Roll badboy that the music industry has a habit of creating and leaving high and dry when they go out of style.

He is only a hero to the same people that identify with the neglected poverty stricken, homocidal, suicidal, drug-addicted members of our population.

And without DRe. there is noway in hell he would have made it this far. Dre give him the credibility outside of the undergound circuit. True he was respected before he blew, but nobody thought that he was "..sooo cute though" he was w ill MC with a sick sence of humor that happended to be white. YOu ever notice how he always appears on TV as the typical white boy? He image is a gimmick and it has worked to his advantage....

my 2 cents

peace

***God, grant me the serninity to accept the things I cannot change. Courage to change the htings I can. And Wisdom to know the difference.***

***As a general rule of thumb, people are STUPID!! It is your responsibility as an intelligent person to take advantage of this at every possible opprotunity!!!***

NSSSSBE SSSSSSUUUUU!!!! Region ONE WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!

remedy_one

Thu Aug-10-00 11:58 AM

23. "RE: the truth about Tupac and Biggie"
In response to Reply # 21

The truth of the matter is that Tupac and Biggie got all of that publicity the same way Eminem is now, shock value. Why can't anyone see that? Very clear to me. The entire east/west coast bullshit. That's the epitome of shock value.

In closing Tupac backwards is Caput!!!

Crossfaded

Thu Aug-10-00 12:24 PM

24. "Eff that shit!"
In response to Reply # 0

I respect eminem as a lyricist and all that but he's no hero to me. No famous people are my heros.

As far what a couple people were saying:

1. You shouldn't be ashamed to listen to anything, really.

2. I think the only people that feel ashamed to listen to hip hop are the people that use hip hop as a social crutch. In other words, they listen to it because it's the in thing or because it's what they think they should be listening to. I've been listening to hip hop since I was 7 years old. I feel like hip hop is a part of me just as much as my brain is. I'll never apologize for that shit. I pay respect to the pioneers and recognize it as an artform created by black people. However, there have always been people of other races involved in hip hop...an artform open to everyone. My feelings are this...Hip hop owns me therefore I own a part of it...of course I share ownership of this with everyone else because it's not something I can claim as solely mine...that would be stealing...but to apologize for living hip hop...naw, never. Hope that made sense.

Crossfaded

"I can't keep up with the Joneses, I'm on my own shit" - Senim Silla

"I move the masses, it's the live guy with glasses" - Mr. Jason

Uplifting and unifying Northwest hip-hop: http://students.washington.edu/theshow

****Celebrating August as Bitch Month at Okayplayer.com: "You more of a bitch than a bitch!" - Kurupt****

Dose
Charter member
2422 posts
Thu Aug-10-00 06:36 PM

26. "RE: Eff that shit!"
In response to Reply # 24

>2. I think the only
>people that feel ashamed to
>listen to hip hop are
>the people that use hip
>hop as a social crutch.
> In other words, they
>listen to it because it's
>the in thing or because
>it's what they think they
>should be listening to.
>I've been listening to hip
>hop since I was 7
>years old. I feel
>like hip hop is a
>part of me just as
>much as my brain is.
> I'll never apologize for
>that shit. I pay
>respect to the pioneers and
>recognize it as an artform
>created by black people.
>However, there have always been
>people of other races involved
>in hip hop...an artform open
>to everyone. My feelings
>are this...Hip hop owns me
>therefore I own a part
>of it...of course I share
>ownership of this with everyone
>else because it's not something
>I can claim as solely
>mine...that would be stealing...but to
>apologize for living hip hop...naw,
>never. Hope that made
>sense.
--------couldn't have said it better

"drinking water out the well of life then i'ma piss it back rusty"-El-P

http://thh2000.cjb.net

Vet
Charter member
8412 posts
Fri Aug-11-00 05:07 AM

31. "i dont' believe i'm saying this"
In response to Reply # 24

but, i agree with you.

i hear a change in the tune of the music. lalalaa

NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW 4 8 8 00

I just want to know what the fuck is the problem with these hefas, they always fighting and never name dropping.
Unite callings are always coming up because somebody doesn't like somebody or some bullshit. I don't like
TheGoodReverendDrJ, but I tell him that shit in his face. Fuck the unite, but up your dukes and fight...!!
-SkipgotSkills

me to don

"love me"
the same mistakes
the same mistakes

long neck
smooth skin
pretty face
cookie nipples
eyes wide as her hips

Mike1

Sat Aug-12-00 10:15 PM

39. "RE: i dont' believe i'm saying this"
In response to Reply # 31

I don't think eminem is the greatest but he does have skills.Just listen to a song like stan or his verse on biggies dead wrong remix and' you will see that.He can't help who his fans are.He even points out the main reason for his mainstream succes on the song i'm back (became a commodity because im w-h-i-t-e).Most of his TRL fans only like the songs they hear on the radio anyway.If you think he sucks then by all means say it but don't base your opinion on his race or his success.If you listen to his crew D 12 they have the shocking lyrics that he does.Bizzare is even worse than eminem just check out his verse on amityville.The point is blame MTV and' other stations for not giving other artists the credit they deserve don't blame eminem.

Vet
Charter member
8412 posts
Mon Aug-14-00 03:49 AM

40. "nuff said bruh."
In response to Reply # 39

man his cat bizarre or whatever his name was, that cat is straight up sick!!!! i was like ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. you're right. can't blame him, gotta blame mtv. eminem doesn't even understand it or like the preferential treatment for that matter.

nEw NeW NEw nEW......... 8/11/00

*******Am I anti-american? no- the american government is.
*KoalaLove********

me to don

"love me"
the same mistakes
the same mistakes

long neck
smooth skin
pretty face
cookie nipples
eyes wide as her hips

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Tue Aug-15-00 05:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
44. "who cares?"
In response to Reply # 0

why is it surprising or dismaying that white people support eminem? people always have alliegences along racial lines. watch a boxing match between a black guy and a latino with a mixed crowd. that shit splits along racial differences most of the time. white people liked larry bird and black people liked magic.

why does he get so many sales? white people make up like 60 something percent of the country. do the fucking math. this shit ain't rocket science.

if you don't bring me some muthafuckin' cognac, i'll kill you -- supherb

how do it feel to hold my dick in public, cock-blower? -- prodigy

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Tue Aug-15-00 06:54 PM

45. "Eminem:Purpose?"
In response to Reply # 44

Frankly i don't see that he brings anything to hip hop but his whiteness. i mean really, what is his purpose?

Kemetian
--------------------------------------
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

"Pour libation for your father
and mother who rest in the
valley of the dead. God will
witness your action and
accept it. Do not forget to
do this

LATimes

Tue Aug-15-00 07:58 PM

46. "RE: the truth about emimem and white people"
In response to Reply # 0

As far as Eminem is concerned, he is a dope MC.....period. There are MANY MC's is the game right now who I would put Eminem up against. I understand that Eminem says things that are quite disturbing (like saying he would do it to Jennifer Lopez even if she was his mother and have a child with her which would be his son and brother at the same time) which makes it hard for people to endorse him. But as far as being clever with his rhymes and staying true to the art of RAP, he is on point. And I love the fact that Eminem is a white boy. The truth of the matter is that he scares white people. Millions of white people come home only to find their children listening to Hip-Hop. They just don't understand how Black people, who they consider to be thugs, hustler, and dope dealers, are able to get through to their kids more so than they are (but that is another subject.) But I love what Eminem is doing to the game. He's shaking it up! And don't forget to give props to the man who brought Eminem in the spotlight who is already known worldwide for shaking up the game! I think y'all already know who I'm refering to.

sponge

Wed Aug-16-00 10:38 AM

47. "RE: Eminem and pop culture"
In response to Reply # 0

First let me say....Em is an OK rapper.... I think he's good, not great... I was feeling a few songs off the first album... the most depressing/embarrassing thing about eminem (and let me say I'm white) is the amount of (white) people who are not hip-hop fans but know every word of eminem's albums.... Here in Boston (I know, I know) there's a radio station (WFNX) that plays mostly alternative but also a bit of techno and hip-hop... the sad fact is, they will only play white rappers.... If you are the beastie boys or eminem, you can get on, otherwise forget it - I even heard House of Pain's "Jump around" the other day....but never any other hip-hop and I'm not exaggerating (I heard a Busta song ONCE... for what it's worth) they hardly ever played hip-hop before Em blew up (with the exception, like I said, of HOP and Beasties).... now they play that song "the fan" like once an hour... what does this say? I don't know... maybe it means em is reaching a whole new audience for hip-hop, that otherwise would not hear it (which some have stated here), and enlightening people to the genre, which is probably the case with a few people and that is great.... but more likely, the folks who listen to Britney Spears and Korn and Backstreet Boys and Limp Bizkit (please, you know these are the same people) are now pumping eminem in their rides, talking about N*gger this and Sp*c that, and voting Republican, and wearing their Abercrombie hats, and thinking "RUN-DMC"'s only song was Walk this way.... anyway, I'll stop here...I don't think the eminem phenomenon is em's fault - he's a talented rapper and he's got some creative rhymes - but it does point out something sad about our popular culture (that it needs a diaper change, I guess.)... How can you listen to eminem but not love hip-hop? This was always a problem for me as a fan of the beasties, which I (was) for a long time... so many people knew every word to check your head but when you put on Illmatic, they're like "wtf is this?"... If you love eminem but don't love hip-hop (which is the case with many of his fans right now), then basically you only love him for one reason......

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22344 Previous topic | Next topic