Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22268

Subject: "Does anybody check the archives?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Aug-14-00 11:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Does anybody check the archives?"

Just a little side note. On the reg (weekly if I can) i try to save any posts near the end of the board to the archives. up till now it has pretty much been my discretion what getsarchived. that ain't fair. this is OUR board, so WE should decide.

so, i hereby open up the archives to suggestions. if you see a post that you feel should be archived that is about to fall off, let me know via email. To keep it fair, i'll add that you can only suggest posts that aren't yours (to avoid shameless self-promotion).

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
what about ...
KoalaLove
Aug 14th 2000
my thoughts
Aug 14th 2000
      Hey, did you...
Wise_7
Aug 14th 2000
           no...
Aug 14th 2000
What I Like About the Archives
Aug 14th 2000
RE: Does anybody check the archives?
Aug 14th 2000
further explanation
Aug 14th 2000
I just checked them and
Aug 15th 2000
And Boo,
Aug 18th 2000
word
Aug 19th 2000
      true
Aug 20th 2000
           Janey, Unity Continue to
Aug 21st 2000
RE: Does anybody check the archives?
Aug 19th 2000
yes
Aug 19th 2000

KoalaLove

Mon Aug-14-00 11:16 AM

1. "what about ..."
In response to Reply # 0

what about posts that are extremely similar to your views?

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Aug-14-00 11:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "my thoughts"
In response to Reply # 1

i want the archives to reflect the best discussions we have here (note to whomever is reading, there is a difference between a discssuin and an arguement).

my criteria for stuff i pick is that the disuccion have SOME kind of resolution, share some good information (hopefully beyond opinion), and be ideally be a discourse with several viewpoints being input.

if that's close to something that's already there then it's cool as long as it doesn't rehash.

ultimately i want a repository with posts we can refer back to, or continue, if new info/ideas come along (particualrly in an effort to save some of the same things from being reposted ad infinitum).

did that answer you question?

Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

Wise_7

Mon Aug-14-00 11:35 AM

3. "Hey, did you..."
In response to Reply # 2

archive my post entitled "Pan-Helenic Brothers and Sisters?"?

"Maybe that's why I'm so exhausted
as a revolutionary
I realize I can't save everyone
I'm trying to save myself
and I'm afraid"- Pamela Sneed

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Aug-14-00 11:39 AM

4. "no..."
In response to Reply # 3

the archives aren't very long...they are easy to check through.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Aug-14-00 11:51 AM

5. "What I Like About the Archives"
In response to Reply # 0

The OkayActivist Archives are the coolest b/c you don't even have to have any replies to your post to be archived. Which is entirely appropriate, because a lot of the time the threads on this board are the kind of thing I read and say "Aaaah" and learn something and become that much wiser, but which really need no reply. Or are so deep that I become lost in wonderment at the wisdom expressed. Or, alternatively, the question posed is the kind of thing that changes my thinking and influences my conversations for days/weeks/months, but to which I can't really reply because they really pose these big looming questions that resound forever.

Why I love this board. Boy, am I glad that my level of responsibility here ends at nominations. I sure couldn't be a final arbiter of what is or isn't a keeper.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Ursus
Charter member
800 posts
Mon Aug-14-00 04:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: Does anybody check the archives?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've had a hella time trying to search the archives lately(not just okayactivist, but all). Posts that I know were on the board do not turn up in the archives. Could you tell me exactly what the criteria is to keep a post under the archives on the other boards?

On another note I think your proposal to open up the archives for Okayactivist is dope. I'm sure you'll be getting some e-mails from me in the near future.
Ursus

"Time is just memory mixed with desire" - Tom Waits

"Silence is the loudest parting word..you never say" -Ben Harper

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Aug-14-00 05:13 PM

7. "further explanation"
In response to Reply # 6

each board has its own moderator. each moderator has the power to archive on "their" board (other staff members also have archive permission according to the discretion of the "powers that be"). as such, the criteria for archiving varies board to board and person to person.

folk need to realize that old posts don't automatically get put in the archives, only those that are chosen. hence, once a post becomes #201 (there is a 200 post limit for what is considered "active") it's pretty much gone (don't ask me the mechanics of this I'm not familiar with the scripts andgiee and the crew selected). i've seen posts on other boards go away and wished they were kept, THIS is why i'm making it known that i want your input on what to save.

nushooz
Member since Nov 05th 2002
14 posts
Tue Aug-15-00 05:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "I just checked them and"
In response to Reply # 0

Man, it's some good stuff in there.....

Live
Nu
I,I, I Can't Wait!

Live from the Shoe Sto, the Mall and NOW the courtroom

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

nushooz
14 posts
Fri Aug-18-00 09:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "And Boo,"
In response to Reply # 0

it's clearly evident that you don't want people to KNOW that I'm your favorite.....good fake by not archiving ANY of my stuff

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Live
Nu
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

unity
Charter member
7184 posts
Sat Aug-19-00 08:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "word"
In response to Reply # 9

it's too bad that 'buying Asian' post wasn't archived...we had a nice little flow going on that one

"You are the revolution,.....don't wait to see it on the 6 o'clock news. Bear witness to yourself."
--Wise_7

"theres' so much tension and hate in the world that the act of love to your neighbor is trully revolutionary...it's all about thinking differently than the mainstream concerns of now. "
--mayhem

"SO POWERFUL IS THE LIGHT OF UNITY THAT IT CAN ILLUMINATE THE WHOLE EARTH."
--Baha'u'llah

---
http://beantownbrown.blogspot.com/
http://www.itsjusthair.com/
http://twitter.com/indigginus
http://bahai.us/

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Sun Aug-20-00 08:34 AM

13. "true"
In response to Reply # 11

That was a great discussion.

But notice that "Too Bad This Wasn't Posted Here" is archived -- and that's a NuShooz thread, really.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

nushooz
14 posts
Mon Aug-21-00 04:51 AM

14. "Janey, Unity Continue to"
In response to Reply # 13

inflate my EGO!!!

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

shepoet
Charter member
81 posts
Sat Aug-19-00 04:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: Does anybody check the archives?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, being fairly new here, I've been checking the archives to get a feel for peeps here, the personalities, and to try not to repeat something that's already been discussed.

unity
Charter member
7184 posts
Sat Aug-19-00 08:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "yes"
In response to Reply # 0

i definitely check the archives in an attempt not to double post. cool idea to take suggestions on archive material.

"You are the revolution,.....don't wait to see it on the 6 o'clock news. Bear witness to yourself."
--Wise_7

"theres' so much tension and hate in the world that the act of love to your neighbor is trully revolutionary...it's all about thinking differently than the mainstream concerns of now. "
--mayhem

"SO POWERFUL IS THE LIGHT OF UNITY THAT IT CAN ILLUMINATE THE WHOLE EARTH."
--Baha'u'llah

---
http://beantownbrown.blogspot.com/
http://www.itsjusthair.com/
http://twitter.com/indigginus
http://bahai.us/

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22268 Previous topic | Next topic