Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21835

Subject: "minority leader for today???" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
sponge

Wed Aug-16-00 11:04 AM

"minority leader for today???"

Of course this has been debated and discussed to death but I'm curious about Okayplayers' opinions... who could be the successor to King/Malcolm??? (If there is anybody out there today) It's not Jesse, obviously (although the hostage negotiation was unbelievably slick, that had no bearing on social/economic issues in the US). Does anybody know of somebody who might be somewhat obscure - maybe not a household name - maybe who is ignored by the popular media - but who holds promise for the future?
Thanks

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: minority leader for today???
Aug 17th 2000
Aug 17th 2000
Yes, damn good question!
Aug 18th 2000
EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US...
NINJAETTE
Aug 18th 2000
RE: EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US...
Aug 18th 2000
Uhhh hell no...
Aug 21st 2000
Ah-ight, U ain got2
Aug 21st 2000
      Put it like this....
Aug 21st 2000
           U know, Uno....
Aug 22nd 2000
                I hear and feel ya....
Aug 22nd 2000
                My fellow Piscean (unohoo I'm talkin to)
Aug 22nd 2000
                I just realized my last sentence was ...
Aug 22nd 2000
                UNO U R TALKIN'
NINJAETTE
Aug 24th 2000
                RE: U know, Uno....
NINJAETTE
Aug 22nd 2000
                     RE: U know, NU
NINJAETTE
Aug 22nd 2000
                          Uhh that CAPS LOCK button?
Aug 22nd 2000
                               THANKS!
Aug 22nd 2000
                               RE: Uhh that CAPS LOCK button?
NINJAETTE
Aug 24th 2000
                                    I think
Aug 24th 2000
                                         Janey???
Aug 24th 2000
                                         I WASN'T TALKING TO YOU
NINJAETTE
Aug 24th 2000
                                              I know you weren't talking to me
Aug 24th 2000
                                              please read...
Aug 24th 2000
you got the right idea
NiaRa
Aug 30th 2000
Fashionably late
Aug 28th 2000
Dr. Dyson's a good choice
Aug 29th 2000
And another thing, DelsBro......
Aug 29th 2000
      De La Soul is here to stay like racism
Aug 29th 2000
           Sedation??? LOL!
Aug 30th 2000
                RE: Sedation??? LOL!
Aug 31st 2000
Sep 01st 2000
Sep 01st 2000
LOOK IN THE MIRROR
Sep 01st 2000

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Thu Aug-17-00 03:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
1. "RE: minority leader for today???"
In response to Reply # 0

Very good quest. A caller posed this questions on BET Live. I'm curious to see who others will suggest.

Silk.
Peace

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Thu Aug-17-00 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
2. "RE: minority leader for today???"
In response to Reply # 1

>Very good quest.

Meant to say,"very good question".

Silk.
Peace

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

nushooz
Member since Nov 05th 2002
14 posts
Fri Aug-18-00 05:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Yes, damn good question!"
In response to Reply # 0

and no I ain got no answers.

I think this should have been apart of that "building your own leaders" post. I think that if we could find somebody that would call us to the kind of cohesiveness that makes things happen and causes people to follow, then we can be active participants in the "picking" of the best leader for us.

Cuz NOW Bush may be hinting toward being remotely concerned about the things that influence minorities BUT THIS IS AN ELECTION!!!!
Will it last? I doubt it. But maybe we'll get a chance to see.

What is it going to take for us to get some cohesion? The problems of the Latinos are the problems of the Negros (don't normally use this word but alliteration is A GOOD THING )
What's the problem? How bout this.....could we pick somebody here at OKP that represents US? Could the mere hundreds of people that come here be cohesive enough to say WE ARE GOING TO VOTE FOR - WHOEVER - ???????

Think on that....get wid' me.

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

Live from the Shoe Sto, the Mall and NOW the courtroom

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

NINJAETTE

Fri Aug-18-00 08:11 AM

4. "EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US..."
In response to Reply # 0

SHOULD APPOINT OURSELVES LEADER. EVERYONE KNOWS A CHILD THAT NEEDS POSITIVE INFLUENCE AND THAT'S WHERE WE NEED TO START EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET INVOLVED AND STOP LEAVING IT UP TO JESSE (WHAT IS HIS REAL JOB ANYWAY), AL SHARPTON AND EVEN FARRAKHAN...WHY SHOULD WE PLACE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF A NATION ON A FEW MEN......BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION IF I COULD APPOINT SOMEONE IT WOULD BE ILYANA VANZANT.
ONE LOVE

nushooz
14 posts
Fri Aug-18-00 09:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US..."
In response to Reply # 4

...WHY SHOULD WE PLACE
>THE RESPONSIBILITY OF A NATION
>ON A FEW MEN......
Cuz' we - like tribes of the world - have a representative government. We can all sing together but we can't all talk together. And does the word "anarchy" mean anything?

BUT TO
>ANSWER YOUR QUESTION IF I
>COULD APPOINT SOMEONE IT WOULD
>BE ILYANA VANZANT.
Good choice!!!!!!

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Mon Aug-21-00 05:54 AM

6. "Uhhh hell no..."
In response to Reply # 4

..as far as the suggestion for Ilyana Vanzant. I know she connects with the Oprah crowd, but she does nothing for me and I wouldn't want her to lead me in anything more significant than the line at a bbq.

The thing is, black leadership is about as slim as it can get. (if we're talking about national leaders) I mean Jesse Jackson, just seems to be a joke to me now, his political weight seems to come from his association with white media. The causes he has championed as of late have been less than admirable, and his rhetoric always seems recycled and slightly dated. Al Sharpton has surprisingly gained a little more respect in my book when I consider that I used to look at him simply as a media whore. (which I still think he is to a degree)

I will say this though, the men have been at the helm of this particular position for too long. While I wouldn't put Ilyana, I would be more willing to follow the women in politics before some of our esteemed gents like John Lewis as well as J.C. Wattts and even Colin Powell. Maxine Waters is a good start I think.

what's my muthafucking name?....

--------------------

blah blah blah

nushooz
14 posts
Mon Aug-21-00 09:25 AM

7. "Ah-ight, U ain got2"
In response to Reply # 6

like Ilyanla. Hell (I know this is Black female blasphemy at it's worst) but I really ain that crazy 'bout her myself....all dem damn books...saying the same damn thing..... (rant, rave, rant.....) But at least she came up with SOMEBODY who most Black women could rally around and find some cohesive strength in.
(There's that word again -COHESIVE. I keep sayin' it but nobody seems to be listening...rant, rave, rant....)

But I'm with you on the Jessie kick. "Keep hope alive" was good in its day. But my politically conscious appetite requires more than rhetoric that rhymes.

But lemme ask you this...do you think Rev. Al has changed or have you changed and he's just grown on you AND/OR he's the best of the most vocal & focal "Black" leaders????

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Mon Aug-21-00 02:40 PM

8. "Put it like this...."
In response to Reply # 7

...Rev Al Sharpton has come up the hard way in my book and has taken many a lump. but from time to time I see the man on tv and he's saying something that I agree with, or I can see exactly why he might be willing to fight for or simply speak on certain issues. Yes I know I've changed, but I also think that the Rev has changed a bit as well and for the better. (at least it seems so on the surface imo) Still I wonder about the man, and always think in the back of my head is he genuine, or is he simply one of those James Brown was speaking on when he wrote "Talking Loud and Saying Nothing". Why? What you think about him.

As far as Jesse is concerned, his latest efforts just seem like media plays: those bad-ass kids up in Illinois, the Gary Graham case, his watchdog agency that's supposed to regulate racism on Wall Street, I mean nothing he's done lately has been of any real significance.

--------------------

blah blah blah

nushooz
14 posts
Tue Aug-22-00 02:54 AM

9. "U know, Uno...."
In response to Reply # 8

I have a desire to be lead - and what I mean is that I desire someone who speaks for me...like King did. When I look at those times, I see them as the worst but yet the best times for Black folk. We came together.

So, I say that to say, when Al Sharp-tongue arrived on the scence he was brash and "in yo' face" and I thought in the back of my mind - 'here's somebody who can speak to the problems of Black people in America who doesn't appear to have any fear' BUT THEN, I began to see him in them tired sweat suits. My word! Fashion's important to me. But I beleived Tawanna. But he was always on TV. The media did a number on him and Tawanna. I allowed them to discredit him. And now as I look back on it, I beleive that was their purpose. So, I've overcome what I thought about Brother Al. AND, U're right. He has done a little changing...he's in yo' face but not so much in yo face. n/m?

And let's not even talk about Jessie.....

Man, Uno, I see these articles in Ebony outlining and listing our "new leaders." When are these people gonna step up? And when are people like Jessie going to step down?

Do you think that a formal "passing of the baton" would help? If Jessie and Al endorsed a couple of people and allowed them to take the forefront? What's the answer?

And I realize that we are all leaders. But in the bigger picture - like I reminded the other person in this discussion "we can all sing together but we can't all talk together"

Sorry this has turned into a dissertation.

Live from the Shoe Sto
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Tue Aug-22-00 06:17 AM

10. "I hear and feel ya...."
In response to Reply # 9

..on wanting to be lead. I usually take that to mean that someone is at the helm calling the shots for all of us in the herd (excuse my thin vocabulary). But I'm older now and recognize that a good leader brings out the common ideals that everyone posseses (sp?). With that said, I'm not as politically minded as you seem to be, nor do I know who's supposed to be the up and coming guy to watch.

But as I say that let me say this, I think that black people have come to a strange point in time in America where they are slowly getting out there and fending for themselves. More and more black people are caught up in their own pursuit of happiness and I'm not one to tell a man that he shouldn't do so. The though process might be I don't need to surround myself in blackness, or I don't need to see to another man's struggle anymore because our collective struggles have become more individual, more seperated and therefore a voice that unifies the poor, the middle, upper middle class, and upper class black people.

--------------------

blah blah blah

nushooz
14 posts
Tue Aug-22-00 07:36 AM

14. "My fellow Piscean (unohoo I'm talkin to)"
In response to Reply # 10

>But as I say that let me say this, I think
>that black people have come to a strange point in time in America where they
>are slowly getting out there and fending for themselves.
But, Uno, I can't beleive that's so. If you've ever read anything that I've written, you know that my philosophy is that Black folk cannot afford physical or fiscal detachment. We are joined together by our skin tone regardless of any socioeconomic status. So, with that we still gotta be about pulling the next person up. Ask Oprah.....to some folk we still "niggaz" and will treat you that way (who, by the way, understands the importance and the responsibility of pulling somebody else up - Oprah that is)

You can try and fend for yourself and actually I encourage it. But whatever success you obtain they are not void of the strengths of Black folk or without the stigma of Black folk.

>The though process might
>be I don't need to surround myself in blackness,
What's the alternative?

>or
>I don't need to see to another man's struggle anymore because our collective struggles have
>become more individual, more seperated
I cannot agree with that. (But you still my boy though)

Until we all get ovah' ain nobody goin' no where.

Live from the Shoe Sto'
Nushooz

I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Tue Aug-22-00 07:51 AM

16. "I just realized my last sentence was ..."
In response to Reply # 14

...incomplete. My final thought was that it is difficult for a black leader today to unify a black community that is becoming more and more diverse, not only in ideology but economically as well. I mean when you've got guys out there like Armstrong Williams and that radio talk show host in Denver with the hat (I forget his name) out there you start to realize that all black folks ain't cut from the same cloth. I agree with you though, that black people need to realize that we all need to come to sort of common ground and stand up for that or against whatever. I wasn't saying that this thought process was mine, but just sort of giving a reason for the this selection of black leadership.

--------------------

blah blah blah

NINJAETTE

Thu Aug-24-00 05:49 AM

18. "UNO U R TALKIN'"
In response to Reply # 10

A LOT OF SHIT FOR SOMEONE WHO DIDN'T GIVE A SUGGESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NINJAETTE

Tue Aug-22-00 06:22 AM

11. "RE: U know, Uno...."
In response to Reply # 9

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT NUSHOOZ BUT DID U EVER STOP TO THINK THAT RIGHT NOW IN OUR COMMUNITY THERE IS NO FORM OF ORGANIZATION AND EXCEPT FOR THE LAW BEING ENFORCED ON US WE HAVE OUR OWN LIL ANARCHY GOIN ON. BLACK PERFORMERS ARE TELLING OUR KIDS THAT IT IS OKAY TO BE A THUG?! WE HAVE "LEADERS" THAT DON'T LEAD, HERE IS WHAT THEY DO...THEY FIND A PROBLEM AND JUMP IN FRON OF IT AND CALL THEMSELVES LEADERS. THE REASON I PICKED ILYANA WASNOT BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN AND IT DAMN SHO AIN'T ON THE STRENGTH OF OPRAH, IT IS BECAUSE SHE TEACHES FOLKS TO SOLVE THEIR OWN PERSONAL ISSUES SO THAT THEY CAN DEAL WITH OTHERS. I WOULDN'T EVEN LET AL SHARPTON LEAD A LINE AT A BBQ!! BUT BACK TO WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT ANARCHY OTHER THAN TAXES AND BS LAWS HOW IS THE BLACK COMMUNITY BEING GOVERNED SIS?

NINJAETTE

Tue Aug-22-00 06:29 AM

12. "RE: U know, NU"
In response to Reply # 11

I FELL U ON THE AL SHARPTON THING THE THING IS THAT ALL OF OUR SO CALLED LEADERS ARE STILL TRYING TO RIDE SOMEONE'S COATTAILS AND I MEAN NO DISRESPECT TO THESE "LEADERS" BUT THEY'RE STILL ON THE COATTAILS OF KING, ELIJAH MUHAMMED, MALCOLM...TOO MANY OLD HEADS TRYING TO DO A YOUNG MAN'S JOB (THINK HOW OLD WERE MARTIN AND MALCOLM WHEN THEY WERE ON THE FOREFRONT...YEAH THEY WERE YOUNG MEN JUST STARTING FAMILIES)....AS FOR THE UP AND COMING AND EBONY MAG, NO DISREPECT TO THEM BUT EBONY MAG'S PPL KNOW ALL THEIR "UP AND COMING LEADERS" OR HAVE SHMOOOZED WITH THEIR FATHERS!!! AND BY THE WAY ALL OF JESSE'S KIDS HAVE COLLEGE EDUCATIONS...HOW DOES HE DO THAT ON A PREACHER'S SALARY...IF ANY ONE KNOWS WHAT THIS MAN'S OCCUPATION IS PLEASE TELL ME!

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Tue Aug-22-00 07:18 AM

13. "Uhh that CAPS LOCK button?"
In response to Reply # 12

...can be pressed so that all your letters aren't capitalized. Just a suggestion, please take heed.

--------------------

blah blah blah

nushooz
14 posts
Tue Aug-22-00 07:37 AM

15. "THANKS!"
In response to Reply # 13

Live
Nu
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

NINJAETTE

Thu Aug-24-00 05:48 AM

17. "RE: Uhh that CAPS LOCK button?"
In response to Reply # 13

IS THERE AN OKAYPLAYER REGULATION ON CAPS LOCK BUTTONS?.......THEN KISS MY ASS!!!

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-24-00 05:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "I think"
In response to Reply # 17

that most people find all caps difficult to read, and also it gets interpreted as shouting, so by using all caps, you might lose both the impact and the subtlety of what you're trying to get across. It is of course your choice.

It's easy to misinterpret posts and emails, even with emoticons, and what was meant to be a suggestion may come across as a demand. I think we're all a little better off if we're willing to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the perceived attitude of the post. For example, "kiss my ass" would generally be easily interpreted as intentionally rude. But unless you tell me otherwise, I'm going to assume that you were being ironic rather than angry, and I'm hoping that others will as well. Fair enough?

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

nushooz
14 posts
Thu Aug-24-00 12:15 PM

20. "Janey???"
In response to Reply # 19

How do you do it???

Remain peace lovin????

We all should be so calm....

Live
Nu
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

NINJAETTE

Thu Aug-24-00 12:25 PM

21. "I WASN'T TALKING TO YOU"
In response to Reply # 19

FIRST OF ALL I'M WORKING AND ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME AND SOMETIMES I FORGET (oops) and also what other way can u interpet "kiss my ass" yeah i was being fucking rude because some fucker decides to talk shit about something that i didn't think was that gottdamn important.....thanks for the tip though

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-24-00 12:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "I know you weren't talking to me"
In response to Reply # 21

But I decided to respond anyway. That's okay, isn't it? Cuz if it's just between the two of you it should be on email, right?

Any chance that you might have misinterpreted the original poster's intention? I believe that post said "just a suggestion," didn't it? So that wasn't rude, was it? But you intentionally replied in a rude way? See, that's hard for me to understand - maybe I'm not seeing everything you are with respect to this issue. Can you shed some light for me? Thanks!

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Aug-24-00 01:46 PM

23. "please read..."
In response to Reply # 21

healthy discussion is wonderful. disagreement is cool too, but one thing we like to maintain is respect.

you don't have to like, or comply with any suggestion or comment made, but for the sake of decorum could we please leave "kiss my ass" (and similar comments) elsewhere? as was said, sometimes folk play like that, which is cool, but because of the impersonality of the 'net, sometimes humor is lost. similarly, rather than start unnecessary beef, why not just ignore any suggestion you take umbrage to?

we all appreciate the sharing of ideas, hopefully resulting in attaining some greater level of understanding and enlightenment, but what positive result could come from disrespect?

i'm not coming down on anyone, iand plenty of others) just want this to remain a place where folk can build without all that bull.

thanks.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
-----------------------------

NiaRa

Wed Aug-30-00 06:44 AM

29. "you got the right idea"
In response to Reply # 4

Im talking about training these children!
everone should have the qualities of a strong leader... just think about it... when you kill the head what happens to the body?

as i paint to the wind's breath
freestyle to my footsteps
and create till the heartbeat's got no rhythm left...
-archangel_500years

Continue to ignore yourself and your hearing will be no more...

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Mon Aug-28-00 04:52 PM

24. "Fashionably late"
In response to Reply # 0

First, peace to janey for being the ever-present voice of reason.

Second, I agree with unohoo that the black population in this country is constantly being divided along economic lines. With that, you have a growing middle class who has been allowed to participate in the American dream and as such is less inclined to support the causes of the whole. That is selfish, but it is a standard human response: I'm going to get mine and then try to hold onto as much of it as possible.

I think this thread has been approached from the standpoint of inclusivity. In other words, black folks living in the Diaspora need someone to represent them and speak for them at the table, rather than leading them in opposition to all that has stood in their way for all of these centuries.

If we desire a leader who will help us get our piece of the pie, then mainstream is the way to go. Someone like Micheal Eric Dyson or maybe Farei Chideya (SP?) would be a suitable voice. Either is well-spoken, well-versed on the issues of the day, and steeped in the history of the land.

However, if we are interested in a leader whose goals are much more radical and seeks freedom and justice, then we may want to turn our eyes towards Mumia Abu-Jamal. I don't wish to discuss his case, but I would like to say that I've seen the effect he has on people. To those who know of him, his name evokes a passionate response; you either love or hate all that he stands for. I also believe that he is capable of representing the larger interests of all people who are oppresed and disenfranchised. To me, he would be the epitome of a person capable of leading a worldwide battle on behalf of struggling people worldwide.

This wasn't supposed to be a Mumia appreciation post. So I want to add that I believe the other alternative for a leader with slightly more revolutionary goals must come from the entertainment industry. To appeal to the people, a potential leader must have a "Jesse Ventura Appeal" regarding familiarity and charisma. By that logic I would nominate Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Zach De La Rocha, or Tom Morello. I would also consider Chris Webber, who possesses eloquence and passion, but may risk too much by getting personally involved.

---I'm here---

Rally cry heard at the scene of the Democratic National Convention:

"Stop...Drop/
People gonna rise to the top/
Oh...No/
Let Mumia go!"

---i'm here---

"...do what scares you..." -- l. varela

nushooz
14 posts
Tue Aug-29-00 03:08 AM

25. "Dr. Dyson's a good choice"
In response to Reply # 24

for all those reasons that you listed PLUS he has the ecclesiastic appeal that people like and he may even be from my home state - North Kack (I know he taught at UNC Chapel Hill)

Now, those other choices from the world of entertainment and sports....hum..........

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

nushooz
14 posts
Tue Aug-29-00 03:20 AM

26. "And another thing, DelsBro......"
In response to Reply # 24

do you think that we can afford to be physically and fiscally detached from one another (Be warned I say that ALOT - and "I mean it! Ride the Maverick) Sure you may have yours (not you speficially...I don't know but I'm talkin about Black folk in general) but at what cost? When you have bought your fine house in the suburbs, there is STILL White Flight......When you drive your fine European Luxury car, there is still Racial Profiling.....When you enroll your children in Private Schools, they are still taught that Black History began WITH SLAVERY.

So, I maitain that whatever economic prizes you might obtain and obstacles over come you are still tied to those poor Black people that haven't "made it".....that brother being pulled over while driving Black, the Black folk at the homeowners association meeting being chastised for having too many cars in their yard on Sunday with "ball playin", that child being called "nigger" by her 1st grade class mate who's family owns a chain of department stores. So why not attach yourself to their struggle....it's still YOUR struggle.

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Tue Aug-29-00 08:50 PM

27. "De La Soul is here to stay like racism"
In response to Reply # 26

I won't deny that prejudice and certain other discrimintaory institutions continue to plague black folk of all economic affiliations, but I think that black folk who get a chance to eat are able to sedate themselves with the spoils of middle and upper middle class status.

Sure, those material gains do not allow them to escape their skin, but I think life is much less painful for the ever-emerging middle class than it is for the folks who swing from paycheck to paycheck.

The black middle class suffers a different kind of alienation, but vehicles such as psychotherapy and presciption drugs are becoming increasingly available and acceptable as a means of dealing with the hassles of breathing while black.

As for the middle class impact on the revolution, no successful revolution was ever launched without the support of a portion of the educated, accomplished middle class. On the other hand the middle class never gets involved in the revolution until their stake (their estates) are at risk. And I don't think that the black middle class in the US currently fears that they will lose all that they have gained. On the contrary, the people we currently call leaders continue to feed us a message that we can achieve if we dare to pursue the American Dream. So long as that message resonates in even a small portion of Black America, the revolution will be leaderless.

BTW, when Mos Def gets elected to Congress, it's on. Don't know if money has those aspirations, but whether he knows it or not, he is and has been preparing himself to take the reins and speak for all of us who cannot speak ourselves.

---I'm here---

"Stop...Drop/
Oh...No/
Let Mumia go!"

---i'm here---

nushooz
14 posts
Wed Aug-30-00 04:13 AM

28. "Sedation??? LOL!"
In response to Reply # 27

but I
>think that black folk who
>get a chance to eat are able to sedate themselves with the spoils of middle
>and upper middle class status.
There's a 12 step program for that too, Brah!
>
>Sure, those material gains do not
>allow them to escape their
>skin,
This is one of the 12 steps

but I think life is much less painful for
>the ever-emerging middle class than
>it is for the folks who swing from paycheck to
>paycheck.
Perhaps...but I know some real happy paycheck to paycheck people...meet one of them - me

>The black middle class suffers a
>different kind of alienation, but
>vehicles such as psychotherapy and
>presciption drugs are becoming increasingly
>available and acceptable as a
>means of dealing with the
>hassles of breathing while black.
Breathing while Black - I Love it!!!! There may be a different kind of alienation but its roots are the same.

>On the contrary, the people
>we currently call leaders continue
>to feed us a message that we can achieve if
>we dare to pursue the American Dream. So long as
>that message resonates in even a small portion of Black America, the revolution will be
>leaderless.
So help me....are you saying that we'll be leaderless until our current regime stop telling us that we can acheive our "piece of the pie"??
I don't think I quite understand this. Help a sistah out.

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 06:11 PM

30. "RE: Sedation??? LOL!"
In response to Reply # 28

>but I think life is much
>less painful for
>>the ever-emerging middle class than
>>it is for the folks who swing from paycheck to
>>paycheck.
>Perhaps...but I know some real happy
>paycheck to paycheck people...meet one
>of them - me
>

***Would not doubt that...But here, I'm talking about economic stress alone...And we all know that this creates other more volatile types of stress

>>On the contrary, the people
>>we currently call leaders continue
>>to feed us a message that we can achieve if
>>we dare to pursue the American Dream. So long as
>>that message resonates in even a small portion of Black America, the revolution will be
>>leaderless.

>So help me....are you saying that
>we'll be leaderless until our
>current regime stop telling us
>that we can acheive our
>"piece of the pie"??
>I don't think I quite understand
>this. Help a sistah
>out.

***In this passage, I'm referring to my own belief that the current leaders tend to lead us according to a certain agenda that may not be in the best interest of all concerned...I don't mean to say "leaderless", but rather leader-deficient where the revolution is concerned...That sentence was pretty tangential and probably strayed from the subject at hand...My bad...

---I'm here---

"Stop...Drop/
Oh...No/
Let Mumia go!"

---i'm here---

Expertise
Charter member
37848 posts
Fri Sep-01-00 02:12 AM

31. "RE: minority leader for today???"
In response to Reply # 0

The world is becoming more and more individualistic and original every day, and black people of today are not defined under one thought and one mind as they were in the 50's and 60's. With african americans gaining more freedoms, along with society's acceptance to social liberalism comes the growth of new identities and personalities. Back then, it was easier to look at black people as a collective unit. One black man had the same views and the same focus that another black man had. Now, with the acception of different cultures, religions, and even sexual preferences, I think black people want to be defined more than just black.

Therefore, it's harder to group us into one giant collective ball than it was in the 60's. Sure, we had the non-violent blacks and the militant blacks, but look at how society has evolved the black community now. We have liberal blacks, conservative blacks, gay blacks, rich blacks, poor blacks, Christian blacks, Muslim blacks, Bhuddist blacks, etc. In order for there to be unity there must be some kind of conjunction that we feel is strong enough to look past our differences and unite. I don't see that particular thing right now.

Until that happens, I simply say the best way for us to thrive is to improve ourselves individually, and by virtue make yourself a standard for everyone to follow. The current self-proclaimed "leaders", in which are nothing but civil rights movement parasites, are nothing but jokes and shouldn't be taken seriously. The closest thing I see to a leader in the black community is Colin Powell, however I doubt that Powell has the arrogance of Jackson, Sharpton, and Farrakhan and would think of himself as a black "leader". In fact, I would be disappointed if he did, because he has always given the idea that he is for everyone, and not just black people. I think he would make a great President of the United States, if he'd only ran. Let's hope he is the next secretary of state, regardless of whether Bush or Gore is elected.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship." - Alexander Tyler

"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other." -Voltaire

"The assumption that spending more of the taxpayer's money will make things better has survived all kinds of evidence that it has made things worse. The black family- which survived slavery, discrimination, poverty, wars and depressions- began to come apart as the federal government moved in with its well-financed programs to "help." - Thomas Sowell

"Life is insensitive, and the truth can be highly offensive. To hide from either is to hide from the reality of life. Take pride in the fact that I am an equal opportunity offender. You today, someone else tomorrow. You have no constitutional right not to be offended." - Neal Boortz

Some of you still think America's a
democracy. Lemme break it down for
ya...

* Democracy:  Three wolves and a sheep
vote on the dinner menu.
* Democratically Elected Republic: Three
wolves and 2 sheep vote on which sheep's
for dinner. 
* Constitutional Republic: The eating of
mutton is forbidden by law, and the
sheep are armed.

The United States is a CONSTITUTIONAL
REPUBLIC. Not a democracy.

Yes....I am a PROUD Black Libertarian Conservative.

eddydon
Member since Jan 20th 2003
0 posts
Fri Sep-01-00 06:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "RE: minority leader for today???"
In response to Reply # 31

I hear many folks say this and that about Jesse Jackson and the other leaders who are talking loud and saying nothing. The young leaders of today do not have the connections and prestige such as a Jesse Jackson. My theory is that (just like politicians) they rather be on the top and keep the younger generation cynical and mistrustful. They like their current positions and they still have influence in black community so why should they remove themselves? But if the younger generation came together their influence wouldn't be so strong. just a guess. hope you understand what i am trying to get across.
one

"I try to school these shorties under me/but they can't see from life to death/so know we're back to where we never left/the ghetto/It's a damn shame/knowing it's a man's game/shorty think it's time to make your plans change/all that running around trying to chase whats already here/been there/pops told me to knuckle up/No fear." - Nas

"What makes anyone think that two hundred years of legal protection for discrimination, bigotry and hatred can be counteracted in thirty years? I don't believe it." - Janey

prophetsun
Member since Sep 15th 2002
10 posts
Fri Sep-01-00 01:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
33. "LOOK IN THE MIRROR"
In response to Reply # 0

-that image staring back at you is potentially the greatest leader know to Mankind.

-Whoa! Why am i attacking hip hop? 'Cause I'm a lyricist, son. A lyricist that has had to serve as his own inspiration when most of my peers seem to idolize Donald Trump more than Sly Stone; when they don't seem to realize that Jimi Hendrix was and is a sonic Bill Gates. Oh Shit, don't make me call no names...penned by Saul Williams

-Not strong, only agressive
-not free, merely licensed
-not compassionate, we were polite
-not good, but well behaved
-we courted death in order to call ourselves brave, and hid like thieves from life. Toni Morrison

WHY DO BAMMAS TELL LIES ONLINE?
IS YOUR LIFE SO PATHETIC THAT YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TO LIE TO COMPLETE STRANGERS?
GET A CLUE......Y'ALL 'BOUT TA MAKE ME OPEN UP A FRESH CAN ON Y'ALL B*TCH *SSES

-i aint lyin! this sh*t i'm makin up is true!!

-i love you in a place, where there's no space or time.....
-i love you for my life, your a friend of mine......
-and when my life is over, remember when we were together....
"a song for you" donny hathaway

PEACE & LOVE

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21835 Previous topic | Next topic