Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21701

Subject: "OkayPlayer Poll" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-30-00 02:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OkayPlayer Poll"

What do YOU think?

The thread "White People's Place in Hip Hop Culture" has sparked a lot of interesting and worthwhile discussion. It has also sparked a lot of anger, aggression and misunderstanding. Obviously, this board is not a democracy, but I would be interested, and perhaps BooDaah would too, to learn from each of you who post and/or lurk on Activist your opinion on whether the value of the discussion outweighs the hurtful nature of the misunderstandings.

What do you think? Should the thread be deleted? Thoughts?

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
No,
Dulce478
Aug 30th 2000
RE: No,
Aug 31st 2000
Even an angry debate
Aug 30th 2000
OkayPlayer Poll
AfricanHerbsman
Aug 31st 2000
Delete it ....
Shellypooh
Aug 31st 2000
Oops enter button
Shellypooh
Aug 31st 2000
      Try readin it again, Shelly
Aug 31st 2000
           RE: Try readin it again, Shelly
Shellypooh
Aug 31st 2000
leave it up...
Aug 31st 2000
Keep 'em coming
Aug 31st 2000
um...
Aug 31st 2000
RE: OkayPlayer Poll
Aug 31st 2000
most folks don't know how to argue
Aug 31st 2000
True Dat!
Aug 31st 2000
      It should go
Aug 31st 2000
           RE: It should go
Aug 31st 2000
this must be a first...
Aug 31st 2000
RE: this must be a first...
Aug 31st 2000
I say
Aug 31st 2000
Discussion is always better.
black_engineer
Aug 31st 2000
RE: OkayPlayer Poll
starberry
Aug 31st 2000
Dagnabit
Aug 31st 2000
RE: Dagnabit
Sep 04th 2000
whoOps...what's that???...
Sep 05th 2000
First amendment/censorship
Sep 05th 2000

Dulce478

Wed Aug-30-00 09:42 PM

1. "No,"
In response to Reply # 0

The post should not be deleted. The whole point of this board IS to spark conversation and get ppl to examine what they believe. I am hurt sometimes by what is said on the boards, but just cuz ppl are hurt by what they read, or offended by the opinion of another, that doesn't give us a right to censor them. Sure, there has to be a line drawn about how we approach an intelligent conversation, ppl are here to learn and grow, but silencing a poster will only hurt them and take away the little freedom that they have here.

~Dulce~

Dose
Charter member
2422 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 02:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: No,"
In response to Reply # 1

i agree with Dulce on this. no matter who this may be offending...deleting it wouldn't be against the purpose of the board. it is also nice to see other peoples opinion...whether or not it parallels mine. that is the truth, whether we like it or not...and if we don't want to see people true feelings on a topic, don't open the thread.

i also liked the censorship point...for a culture that is censored by everyone and everything in media...i think we would just be hurting ourselves by censoring ourselves, in our own discussion forum

thas what i gotta say...peace.

"drinking water out the well of life then i'ma piss it back rusty"-El-P

http://thh2000.cjb.net

murph25
Charter member
733 posts
Wed Aug-30-00 10:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Even an angry debate"
In response to Reply # 0

has some value here. There is a lot to be learned from watching others argue over issues that they feel passionately about. This is true even if the two people debating don't seem to be getting anything out of it themselves. In a public forum like this, we can learn a lot just by observing and listening sometimes.

Issues like race tend to spark anger, and stir up feelings. This is especially true when you have a group of people from diverse cultural, economic, and spiritual backgrounds (like the group here) coming together. Nobody said that a conversation across the chasm of race was going to be easy. But is it valuable? Hell yes.

peace,
murph

peace,
murph

AfricanHerbsman

Thu Aug-31-00 02:05 AM

3. "OkayPlayer Poll"
In response to Reply # 0

>What do you think? Should the thread be deleted?

nope, if they truly are misunderstandings are deleting won't solve anything.

and, no, I don't feel like bad outweighs good, even on that specific thread.

seize your time! - marley/wailers

blackboogeymanmanicmadmusicianmakerofnoise.. - black thought/roots

Shellypooh

Thu Aug-31-00 03:21 AM

5. "Delete it ...."
In response to Reply # 0

My Top Ten Prince Songs

10.I Wanna Be Your Lover

9.Little Red Corvette

8.Controversy

7. Purple Rain

6.Erotic City

5.She's Always In My Hair

4.Beautiful Ones

3.Insatiable

2.Love In Repetition

1. Irresistable Bitch

Shellypooh

Thu Aug-31-00 03:25 AM

6. "Oops enter button"
In response to Reply # 5

Whites in Hip Hop was the topic , I read through half of the responses and only 10% dealt with the topic.When it becomes an arguement between people that don't have anything to do with the topic ,it should be deleted.

My Top Ten Prince Songs

10.I Wanna Be Your Lover

9.Little Red Corvette

8.Controversy

7. Purple Rain

6.Erotic City

4.Beautiful Ones

3.Insatiable

2.Joy In Repetition

1. Irresistable Bitch

nushooz
Member since Nov 05th 2002
14 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 05:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Try readin it again, Shelly"
In response to Reply # 6

pleez...
Look, I ain sayin' the confrontation was correct or righteous but there are some things worth learnin or at least noting....

Cumulous clouds 84 degrees.......

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

Live from the Shoe Sto, the Mall and NOW the courtroom

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

Shellypooh

Thu Aug-31-00 08:07 AM

17. "RE: Try readin it again, Shelly"
In response to Reply # 11

Okay I change my mind. I read some more messages and they are interesting and informative
My Top Ten Prince Songs

10.I Wanna Be Your Lover

9.Little Red Corvette

8.Controversy

7. Purple Rain

6.Erotic City

4.Beautiful Ones

3.Insatiable

2.Joy In Repetition

1. Irresistable Bitch

wbgirl
Charter member
5929 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 03:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "leave it up..."
In response to Reply # 0

i think that in the long run, the back-and-forth that's been going on w/in that particular thread will do somebody some good.

just sayin'.

~~wbg~~
AIM: wbgirl218

http://www.breastcancer3day.org
between this and the (re), Chicago in 2001 will be on some whole new fantabulous shyt! (c) me

August as Quotewhoulike Month (c) me:
"Freedom is when the people can speak, democracy is when the government listens."
(c) Alastair Farrugia

~~wbg~~
"I pray sometimes to keep my head together,
because you can use prayer however you want.
There are no rules one way or the other."
--Jami Attenberg

http://helpcde.blogspot.com
http://queeneulalia.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/queeneulalia

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 04:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Keep 'em coming"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with everyone, pro and con. That's my dilemma.

I think that healthy, even angry, debate is soooo good! We get to see other people's viewpoints, we learn what people are passionate about.

But...it seems like this particular thread is somewhat toxic. It seems like every time someone walks away for a while and then comes back and takes a look at it, they say to themselves, "Whoa! That's a personal attack on ME!" and post something really reactive.

Can we learn from the reactiveness? I think so. Are we willing to?

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 05:00 AM

9. "um..."
In response to Reply # 0

hurt feelings aside, i see no reason to delete te post.

i've asked that people be respectful, and i warned that instances of guideline violations will be handled as they come.

this forum is here for the debate of topics/opinions which to some might be painful to read, but sometimes you gotta look through the namecalling and withstand a little bull to see the underlying point.

actually, i was thinking of that series of postings as a candidate for the archives.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

nushooz
14 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 05:37 AM

10. "RE: OkayPlayer Poll"
In response to Reply # 0

I purposely sidestepped the referenced post. Now I know why. But I read it- just so I could respond here. It was.....
Did I learn anything? Sure:
some times people can't see past their emotion and own ignorance to see other peoples truths..... Janey's peaceful resolves becomes more and more evident with each and every post.....Boodah should never leave us alone.... having respect for the next poster will alleviate the need for Boo's "steppin in" and the occurence of brutally hurt feelings......

Every post has significance - except for maybe the D'angelo baby mama drama. That could have used some censoring.

But EVERY post buys priceless lessons. The dream of life is truth and then we act and do things accordingly (Zora Neal Hurston). What are YOUR truths? - Another post.....

I Love ALL - ok, maybe - MOST- ok - ALL of yawl at Okay Ack-tivist - even when we ack-tin like chillun! (Southern word for "children")

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz

I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 05:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "most folks don't know how to argue"
In response to Reply # 0

Which is why we see ad hominem attacks all over the internet.

And when the topic of race comes up, it raises all sorts of emotions that often get in the way of a healthy discussion.

And further more, most folks get on boards to sharpen their pens, but not really exchange information.

peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

nushooz
14 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 06:10 AM

13. "True Dat!"
In response to Reply # 12

Especially the part when you said that thing about.....

>And further more, most folks get
>on boards to sharpen their
>pens, but not really exchange
>information.

K, I'm sure you and I've agreed and disagreed but take a lookie at us. We're being civilized

Do you think the post should go or stay?

Live
Nu

I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 08:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "It should go"
In response to Reply # 13

Not that I approve of censorship, but I think it's really gone far from where it started. I didn't even think it belonged on the activism board. Let them debate it to death on the Lesson. I've been in far too many of the white folks in hip hop debates. I'm interested in Black, Brown, and Yellow folks in hip hop. I've dealt way too much with just one aspect of it.

Now why don't we ask about white kids that come into black political groups? I know this was an issue back in the day, but I'm sure many folks have some questions to ask their fellow Mumia marchers.

I think the whole protest thing is getting trendy as my Gen (Malcolm) X and the Gen Y get out there.

peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 09:10 AM

19. "RE: It should go"
In response to Reply # 18

>Not that I approve of censorship,

that's funny. i don't believe in censorship, but censor that

>I didn't even
>think it belonged on the
>activism board.

if only for the reason that racial matters are very important issue, it should stay. being "active" in the effort of expression as it were.

>I've been
>in far too many of
>the white folks in hip
>hop debates.

there is a method to the madness. if we let everybody get their points out we can avoid rehash in the futrue by pointing folk to the archives. sneaky huh?

>Now why don't we ask about
>white kids that come into
>black political groups?

in a way that's what the post IS about. to me (for what my opinion is worth) hiphop is a political tool. or at least it COULD be. bringing up that point on the thread in question would add to that discussion and take away from all the rather petty fussing that lies therein (**hint-hint**).

Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 06:15 AM

14. "this must be a first..."
In response to Reply # 0

a post regarding the life of another post?

y'all seriusly crack me up. freakin post "survivor".

what'll y'all come up with next?

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 06:17 AM

15. "RE: this must be a first..."
In response to Reply # 14

Yeah, but at least it's a calm discussion about the issues of communication and the relative merits of painful exchanges.

Consensus building, right? We're all just taking baby steps toward a greater understanding.

So glad you're back.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 07:32 AM

16. "I say"
In response to Reply # 0

Archive it!!!! (after the debates are done)

Anytime we deal with a divisive issue, such as race, the debate gonna get heated. I just hope that some of us learn to better express ourselves and try and understand other perspectives. But in reality, some people are gonna push buttons and spew their beliefs just to evoke a response. I can't honestly say that that is "bad" for the board, eventhough I agree it does not contribute to constructive communication.

Peace

Peace Pseudonyn-less Wendell

Peace

Wendell

black_engineer

Thu Aug-31-00 09:45 AM

20. "Discussion is always better."
In response to Reply # 0

My feelings getting hurt usually coinside with me learning something, whether it be about the topic, or about myself.

Carry On.

********************************************************************************

BLACK_ENGINEER

Why you got-ta, act like, nigga, all the time? (C) Common

I hate being cheap, but I hate being broke more. - Fire

starberry

Thu Aug-31-00 12:43 PM

21. "RE: OkayPlayer Poll"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you'd better delete it. The conversation was over two days ago. if you wanna drag it on for a couple more days thats your buisness.

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Thu Aug-31-00 06:24 PM

22. "Dagnabit"
In response to Reply # 0

I stayed away from that post on purpose and y'all almost made me go read it. I say almost because I got through the first dozen or so messages and just gave up. I concluded that there was no apparent reason to delete the post. Maybe it's controversial and maybe it's a wee bit divisive, but it seems to be healthy.

Why? Because someone is always trying to revisit this topic. I was in a similar discussion last year on the General Board that was archived and I really hoped that the subject would die with the definitive post on the topic that Koala Love made some time ago.

I have no problem with folks chatting frankly on the subject, but personally I'm tired of it. I think the whole discussion is born of insecurity and fear.

But that's just me. I'm probably wrong. Otherwise, no one would talk about it. And it's beyond obvious that heads continue to want to exchange ideas about it.

Sorry for the mild rant. Maybe this post right here should be deleted so everybody could be happy.

PEACE

The aspiring martyr

---I'm here---

Rally cry heard at the scene of the Democratic National Convention:

"Stop...Drop/
People gonna rise to the top/
Oh...No/
Let Mumia go!"

---i'm here---

"...do what scares you..." -- l. varela

Wordsmith
Charter member
941 posts
Mon Sep-04-00 11:01 AM

23. "RE: Dagnabit"
In response to Reply # 22

This thread, board and post(s) should stay. True there is a lot of controversy and hurt feelings, but we can't proceed to a solution if these type of matters are never addressed.

asighn4jane
Member since Jun 13th 2002
34 posts
Tue Sep-05-00 06:07 AM

24. "whoOps...what's that???..."
In response to Reply # 0

damned first amendment fallin upon me toes again...i did not read the aforemention'd thread...but i will say in honorin one's constitutional rights that even suggestin that people be regulated to respondin a particular way is counterproductive to the spirit of self-expression...if one violates another's rights...then that particular person's responses give cause to deletion...but to remit others to not bein able to is ludicrous

my rights end...where another's begin

"because marvin died the day before his birth is why i hurry"...jessica care moore

"If you can read this, thank a teacher" BUMPERSTICKER

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Sep-05-00 06:12 AM

25. "First amendment/censorship"
In response to Reply # 24

Just for clarification: The first amendment doesn't apply to this site, because it is a privately operated business. The first amendment protects us from undue government interference in certain protected speech, including political speech. The speech involved in the thread is certainly political, but because deleting the thread would not be a government action, the first amendment would not apply. Today's civics lesson.

But I see what everyone's saying about censorship. Conversely, this is a "moderated" board and name calling posts get deleted.

My concern had nothing to do with the issues that were being posted about. My concern related strictly to the name calling and ad hominem attacks that were simultaneously going on, and which seemed to get stirred back up periodically. Now, of course, everyone is behaving like little ladies and gentlemen.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21701 Previous topic | Next topic