Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21493

Subject: "WHY MY RELIGION IS WACK" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
d-Best

Fri Sep-08-00 11:38 AM

"WHY MY RELIGION IS WACK"

the purpose of this post is both stimulating and entertaining discussion to further the advancement of all spiritual views,

AND to decide whether or not the OkayPlayer is indeed "okay" or just a masquerade ball.

RULZ: STATE YOUR RELIGON IN SUBJECT. THEN TELL US WHY IT IS WACK. (do not say why it isn't wack, please, you don't need to state the obvious)

Furthermore, do not tell someone why their religion is wack until you have FIRST STATED YOUR OWN AND WHY IT IS WACK.

P.S. - the non-religious, athiests, agnostics, etc. are STRONGLY encouraged to participate why your spiritual views are or are not wack.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: WHY MY RELIGION IS WACK (Unitarian Universalism)
d-Best
Sep 08th 2000
RE: WHY MY RELIGION IS WACK
Sep 08th 2000
christianity
Sep 08th 2000
?
Sep 09th 2000
astute observation
Sep 09th 2000
      RE: amen brotha.........n/m
Sep 10th 2000
      i's be so happy!
Sep 10th 2000
      RE: astute observation
Sep 12th 2000
Dammit BooDah!
Sep 09th 2000
hold up a second
Sep 09th 2000
      RE: hold up a second
Sep 09th 2000
There you go Boodah.........
Sep 09th 2000
RE: christianity
Sep 11th 2000
Tool to oppress
dobopwee
Sep 12th 2000
Beatlism
Sep 08th 2000
Sep 10th 2000
Sep 10th 2000
RE: i mean sorry d_best for not obeying the rulz
Sep 10th 2000
2Cents
Sep 10th 2000
AfricanHerbsman
Sep 11th 2000
much love, y'all
d-Best
Sep 11th 2000

d-Best

Fri Sep-08-00 11:39 AM

1. "RE: WHY MY RELIGION IS WACK (Unitarian Universalism)"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not really a UU, but it's the only church I go to of my own accord.

Wack:

there is no forced dogma (i'm serious) this is both dope for the unity vibe, but wack because it makes it difficult to explain the UU vibe to people.

More Later as again, I'm not really UU.

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Fri Sep-08-00 11:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: WHY MY RELIGION IS WACK"
In response to Reply # 0

My religion is wack

cuz

i can't come up with a name for it.....

A combination of Taoism, The Art of Peace, Native American and African Tradional Religions...

It is also wack because i the creator am a
demogougue according to other people on this board....

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Fri Sep-08-00 11:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "christianity"
In response to Reply # 0

far too many claim the faith while directly contradicting it's teachings

far to many claim it because of tradition as opposed to personal choice/understanding

far too many of those who claim it use it merely as a tool to express their selfish desires and wants

far too many of it's practitioners use it as a tool for division as opposed to togetherness

far too many of it's so called leaders use the lack of knowledge of their followers (and others) as a tool to oppress/rob/victimize

due to their lack of knowledge, far to many of its so called followers misrepresent the faith and therefore undermine it in the eyes of non-believers

far too many mistake the fact that they themselves are not perfect and don't afford others the opportunity to grow in the faith

..i could go on for days.
------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

Gloworm
Charter member
6077 posts
Sat Sep-09-00 04:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "?"
In response to Reply # 3

aren't you talking about some of the people rather than the faith itself?

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Sat Sep-09-00 08:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "astute observation"
In response to Reply # 5

my point exactly. i say it all the time: on't blame the faith, blame the believers.

the problem comes when people can't seperate the faultiness of humanity from what the true teaching.

i'm glad you got it dear.

Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Sun Sep-10-00 06:49 AM

12. "RE: amen brotha.........n/m"
In response to Reply # 7

--------sig-----------
"If you are an asshole keep your thoughts to yourself"
"If your intent is to hurt someone else's feelings for the sake of making yo'self look like a 'supastar', rethink your intent."
Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon
Aqua Beats and Moon Verses: Volume I
http://www.spokenexistence.com/aqua_moon.html

Gloworm
Charter member
6077 posts
Sun Sep-10-00 02:08 PM

15. "i's be so happy!"
In response to Reply # 7

:D @ Boodaah!

"called to check 'pon the husband when it's you i should be checkin 'pon"

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Tue Sep-12-00 06:37 AM

20. "RE: astute observation"
In response to Reply # 7

>my point exactly. i say it
>all the time: on't blame
>the faith, blame the believers.

We are brothers from another mother.

>the problem comes when people can't
>seperate the faultiness of humanity
>from what the true teaching.

Listeeeeeeeeeeen © Pete Rock

Peace!!!!!!

AIM: BurbKnight

Midnight Marauder Quote: Week 2
-"Coming 'round the block, maaaaaan, loud as f^&*. You would swear Redman was inside the truck"- Q-Tip

Okayplayer Directory: http://theblackknight.tripod.com/okayplayer/okayplayer.html

My homepage:
http://members.tripod.com/~TheBlackKnight

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Sep-09-00 08:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Dammit BooDah!"
In response to Reply # 3

why are you so dope? you just EXPLAINED why i never COULD tolerate christianity and all its forms..

you just said what's been ON MY MIND for years...anyhoo--ill have to email you at length cause i have some other things i wanted to talk to you about..expect an email from me soon...

Ryan

Quotes for August 2000:

"Gurl, fuck a love connection! I'm looking for dick connections ONLY!"
--talking to a friend about why i'm not in a relationship righ tnow...

"A black person invented the clock and some folks STILL don't know what time it is."
--Jewel McCabe

"OOH GURL! I'm calling PETA--you had NO RIGHT to kill My Little Pony and her Momma!"
--Me telling this black woman on the 71A Negley local bus in regard to her fucked up weave: blond horsehair sewn onto the back and the sides

SankofaII

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Sat Sep-09-00 09:14 AM

8. "hold up a second"
In response to Reply # 6

you may not want to praise me just yet...

don't get it twisted. i am a follower of the one Christ. i'm just able to admit that being "washed in the blood" does not make one perfect or free you from being able to do just as much evil as any other. far too many don't realize the responsibility of the individual to turn away from sinfulness. despite what some might say, it (this walk) is an ACTIVE process and not at all about "waiting for God to come save you".

it's funny because sometimes i wonder why folk (believers and non-believers) are so quick to dismiss the fact that the bible says that Christianity CALLS one to change, but doesn't insure that one will.

ultimately, there is no reason to dislike Christainity beyond the actions of those who claim it while missing the point of it. which, by the way is true of a whole lot of other things too (all men are dogs, all white people are devils, all women are god dggers and all THAT type of mess).

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Sep-09-00 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "RE: hold up a second"
In response to Reply # 8

no BooDah...im not saying that i think christianity is horrid not at all...i believe as you do...it's just that I've been real wary of it recently, that's all.

Ryan

Quotes for August 2000:

"Gurl, fuck a love connection! I'm looking for dick connections ONLY!"
--talking to a friend about why i'm not in a relationship righ tnow...

"A black person invented the clock and some folks STILL don't know what time it is."
--Jewel McCabe

"OOH GURL! I'm calling PETA--you had NO RIGHT to kill My Little Pony and her Momma!"
--Me telling this black woman on the 71A Negley local bus in regard to her fucked up weave: blond horsehair sewn onto the back and the sides

SankofaII

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Sat Sep-09-00 04:29 PM

10. "There you go Boodah........."
In response to Reply # 3

That is what I have been saying FOREVEEEEEEER!!!!!!!

Peace!!!!!!

AIM: BurbKnight

Midnight Marauder Quote: Week 2
-"Coming 'round the block, maaaaaan, loud as f^&*. You would swear Redman was inside the truck"- Q-Tip

Okayplayer Directory: http://theblackknight.tripod.com/okayplayer/okayplayer.html

My homepage:
http://members.tripod.com/~TheBlackKnight

illosopher
Charter member
596 posts
Mon Sep-11-00 08:48 AM

18. "RE: christianity"
In response to Reply # 3

very thoughtful post, a lot of food for thought, this what i was trying to get to but i believe i was too abrasise as well as misunderstood...

peace

dobopwee

Tue Sep-12-00 06:41 AM

21. "Tool to oppress"
In response to Reply # 3

"...far too many of it's so called leaders use the lack of knowledge of their followers (and others) as a tool to oppress/rob/victimize."
Completely agree!

Be like me...PROMOTE OKAYPLAYER.COM in the WORKPLACE!
Peace}}i{{Love}}i{{Empathy

murph25
Charter member
733 posts
Fri Sep-08-00 11:21 PM

4. "Beatlism"
In response to Reply # 0

OK, I'll admit it. Beatlism is wack. I was probably wrong to think that inside of each of us there are four "Inner Beatles". Pop music and theology don't go together that well. And I was wrong to choose a pope who was an outspoken cannibal. But, we all make mistakes, right? I mean even Christ didn't get it all right his first try.

http://home.earthlink.net/~melhayward/beatlism

peace,
murph

peace,
murph

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sun Sep-10-00 05:56 AM

11. "RE: WHY MY RELIGION IS WACK"
In response to Reply # 0

There is only One God...worship, as you must!!!

I LUV U 2!!!

nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Sun Sep-10-00 06:56 AM

13. "RE: WHY MY RELIGION IS WACK"
In response to Reply # 0

whateva the religion don't use it as a reason not to be proactive. yes, prayer does wonders but proactive measures can be taken as well. listen to what you're Divine inspiration says to you and act accordingly, not doing what u want to do but doing what has been instructed of u. funny thing is that the Divine doesn't always say what u want to hear........
no i didn't answer the question but i just wanted to say this in response to the previous discussion on religious from which i assume this question stemmed, this just came to me after reading this question of why my religion is wack. sorry k_orr for not obeying the rulz *smile, no disrespect intended*

--------sig-----------
"If your intent is to hurt someone else's feelings for the sake of making yo'self look like a 'supastar', rethink your intent."
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

UnSilenced Woman Press

AquaMoon

nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Sun Sep-10-00 06:57 AM

14. "RE: i mean sorry d_best for not obeying the rulz"
In response to Reply # 13

--------sig-----------
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

UnSilenced Woman Press

AquaMoon

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Sun Sep-10-00 09:04 PM

16. "2Cents"
In response to Reply # 0

Whassup man...
I can't really call my religion wack, or any religion for that matter, because for the most part, they all have their good points, and their questionable points.

For the most part, I consider myself spiritual, but not religious. Reason being, I honestly don't know what religion I belong to. Christianity is vague, because it has so many sub-sects of Christianity. There's Episcopalian, Baptist, Pentecostal, goes on and on.

The two biggest reasons that I could question any religion are:
1. Little evidence of the Supreme Being existing
2. They all have been used for personal gain

I do believe in one God, and if that makes me a Christian, so be it. But that's my take on a lot of religion...

Peace
Rex

Abdul Jabbar, Muggsy Malone you
I don't know what that means but you know what I meant when I told you (c) Sean Price

AfricanHerbsman

Mon Sep-11-00 12:22 AM

17. ".."
In response to Reply # 0

>RULZ: STATE YOUR RELIGON IN
>SUBJECT. THEN TELL US
>WHY IT IS WACK.

dunno what I'd call it and therein lies it's weakness/wackness, there's no 'rules' to it so it's like there's no discipline either.

I give props/see some of the stillness in many forms of religion because discipline is mad beneficial, increasingly so in these times.

not really even sure what religion is - is it just about showing outwardly what you're representing inwardly, like equivalent of claiming a set/sect?

letting others know that you with others recognise the existence of a specific higher power and wish to conform to His wishes.

plus each group's rituals. but who are we telling and why:

super-supreme - obediance isn't explicit? express it in your conduct.
fellow-followers - preaching to the choir? or seeking affirmation.
self/selves - oh, we don't know it? inside and out, self-absorbed.

but I guess we're all real people with real problems so however you all, specifically, have chosen to deal and justify self-evidently 'works'.

seize your time! - marley/wailers

every lifestyle got a price.. - ras kass

d-Best

Mon Sep-11-00 09:01 AM

19. "much love, y'all"
In response to Reply # 17

mad props to everyone for participating. Let's keep it going. this is a definitely a feel good forum

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21493 Previous topic | Next topic