Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21018

Subject: "More Poor Black folks on our block??" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Beyond_Levels

Wed Oct-04-00 08:04 AM

"More Poor Black folks on our block??"

This week in Baltimore the latest "issue" was should the city move 10 housing project families into the "nice" neighborhood?

they have decided against it because of the outrage of the communities (( the "nice neighborhood" people))...

people ((both black and whit)) were on tv saying stuff like:

- we need to protect our home investment.
- we do a good enough job intergrating our community on our own.
- we don't want that type of elment....

Me myself... I live in the "spot" now.. but by next week I will be a proud home owner in a neighborhood where there aren't people always standing on the corner or on my stoop... where I will be able to wallk my dog without crack heads attacking my pockets... where my hall way won't smell like piss... etc etc etc.. I wouldn't want any piece of this to follow me to my new house or area.

but then again... I know many families that should be moved away from this "spot" and be given a chance at safer and more pride filled environments...

what do you think???

think on both sides of the coin....

____________Plugs
wanna see Beyond's NEW web site?
http://on.to/SoulFood

wanna read a good drama known as life?
http://come.to/SuchAsLife

okaypoet?
WE MOVED!!
http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/begin.html
(( this is for ALL OKAYPLAYERS!))
wanna be a part?
email me with poem and brief bio and/or contact info @ okay_poets@hotmail.com
beyond.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: More Poor Black folks on our block??
she-ra
Oct 04th 2000
trickery
Oct 04th 2000
Updates
Beyond_Levels
Oct 04th 2000
I think this is messed up
Oct 04th 2000
I completely agree
Oct 04th 2000
Riddle me this, Batman...
Phraktal
Oct 04th 2000
RE: Riddle me this, Batman...
Beyond_Levels
Oct 05th 2000
Qnbei
Oct 05th 2000
Beyond_Levels
Oct 05th 2000
Wow!
Oct 05th 2000
Give 'em a chance???
Oct 05th 2000
I like the idea of
RaShaunda
Oct 05th 2000

she-ra

Wed Oct-04-00 08:38 AM

1. "RE: More Poor Black folks on our block??"
In response to Reply # 0

i can see the points of both sides. how can we improve the lives of those living in "troubled" areas without stepping on those well-covered middle class toes? hmmm. i am stumped. i have no answer but i do see how the nice neighborhood people would have problems and i see how the relocated could have problems with the hoodies following them. maybe there is a better solution floating out there somewhere - one that doesn't perpetuate such a
negative cycle.

"could be, could be not...who's to say." -mister-

nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Wed Oct-04-00 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "trickery"
In response to Reply # 0

white folks are reclaiming the city of chicago. the plight to the subarbs is over for white people. therefore, they are tearing down projects and redeveloping communities. all of the displaced residents will be placed in mixed income neighborhoods or shipped to the sububards. the sububards will be trickery in a short while b/c then they will cut down on public transportation btwn. the suburbs and the city. it is true that change happens incrementally but we must keep our eyes and ears open. the problem i have with this is that no one has stepped in to change the 'ghetto mentality'. u can take a person out of the ghetto but if u don't change their way of thinking they will do the same things whereva they go. loitering, littering, loudness, and the like are behviors that need to be changed. (this is not to say that all people that live in the ghetto are loud etc.)
--------sig-----------
IF U WANNA BE PUT ON THE CHI.ACTIVIST E-MAIL LIST, OR IF U WANNA HELP AT THE 10/23 CONCERT EMAIL chicagoactivist@africana.com
---------------------
Monthly Book Discussion in OkayActivist
Sept. 19 "Move Over Girl" Brian Peterson
Oct. 16 "Yo Mama's Dysfunktional" Robin Kelley
Nov. 13 "Coldest Winter Ever" Sister Souljah
GET YO READ ON .........
nappiness is next to Godliness!!!!!!
ms. nappiness
----------

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon
Aqua Beats and Moon Verses: Volume I
http://www.spokenexistence.com/aqua_moon.html

Beyond_Levels

Wed Oct-04-00 12:03 PM

3. "Updates"
In response to Reply # 0

make that 10 families 40 families...

and it is still on and poppin... the courts have no backed down.

ok....

beyond.

_______________Plugs

okaypoet?
WE MOVED!!
wanna be a part?
beyond.

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Wed Oct-04-00 01:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I think this is messed up"
In response to Reply # 0

Not wanting to live next to poor people is pretty bad, because you assume that they are of low morals. This is what folks are really saying. I mean, if you're a doctor, would you feel bad if you moved into a neighborhood with lots of teachers and postal workers? It's definitely a class issue.

But what is worse is that this is bandaid approach to a greater problem. The reason folks are in the projects in the first place is because the same system that put other folks in the suburbs failed.

The best case scenario for these 40 families, is that living among folks who make more money, they manage to become more successful through osmosis? Perhaps the children will get better experiences in the classroom, but when they come home to the new spot, moms still can't break down a sentence into a subject and predicate.

I think putting poor people in with rich people, gives rich people to much damn credit, none of which they deserve.

My solution is to continue to address the concerns in the "projects" as opposed to spreading out the problem cases and hoping the "free market" will take care of them.

peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Oct-04-00 01:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I completely agree"
In response to Reply # 4

HUD tried this in the 60s and found that, basically, it didn't work for all the reasons that you cite. I think home ownership is a great thing -- pride in community can really uplift people. But that's just one little step.

Not only are the people in the projects in the first place because of the same system that wants to move them out now, but also that same system built those projects to cure what is essentially the same problem. So this seems like a band aid on top of a band aid.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Phraktal

Wed Oct-04-00 01:57 PM

6. "Riddle me this, Batman..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm curious. What/Who brought about this plan? Who wants to take 40 families out of the PJ's and place them in the suburbs? What do they hope it will accomplish?

This seems like some kind of science lab experiment to me.

Hey I have an idea! Let's take 40 upper/middle class families from the suburbs and put them in the projects and see what happens.

peace...

Beyond_Levels

Thu Oct-05-00 05:07 AM

8. "RE: Riddle me this, Batman..."
In response to Reply # 6

This was issued by the city (( in news reports they say "courts" ))... I don't know whether it was for "helping" or because of space.... ((isn't easier to infringe upon the middle class then build up an entire project building?))

Like one angry home owner said:
The government is always shittin' on the middle class...

keep the motion

Be yo (self) nd.

_______________Plugs

okaypoet?
WE MOVED!!
wanna be a part?
beyond.

Qnbei

Thu Oct-05-00 04:08 AM

7. "RE: More Poor Black folks on our block??"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace,

The challenge that I have in this entire issue, is the perceived character of all people that live in the projects. I lived in project homes / been to project homes, in which the residents took/take care of their “spots.” To make it more simpler: What is the character of a “poor person?” I feel that when protesting something like moving residents from one place to a better place, the entire outcome should be considered; Are these working families? Are these families who take pride in their home, in themselves? What other resources are being offered to these families to assist them in moving forward in their economy? Whether it be training, employment, grants, HUD funding, Home care classes, etc.

“but then again... I know many families that should be moved away from this "spot" and be given a chance at safer and more pride filled environments...”

I agree, because there are some families who do not fall into the general stereotype of “project people.”

“But what is worse is that this is bandaid approach to a greater problem. The reason folks are in the projects in the first place is because the same system that put other folks in the suburbs
failed.”

I see that too, it being a “Band-Aid approach.” Systems should be set up in the communities,where more negative elements outweigh the positive elements, and as someone stated before,revise the living development; tearing down old housing structures, creating a more livable and modern structure, and providing educational, child care, and employment resources to those residents “wishing” to take up occupancy in that renewed area. In many areas, that is happening, however, the environments around the revamped areas, are not being touched.

But....

Once again, what is the entire intent?

On the other side of people in communities where they invest their time, money, and energy. I can understand the concern of value. Many times when people move and work towards ownership of property, they have a plan to sell, which means that they are adding on to the value of their property, or they are investing for a lifetime, which means that they want to make sure that a sense of security is kept.

Then you would consider....

Are both, the pople in the so-called "better" community, and the families in the so-called "poor" community being prepared for this move?

Peace

Q'nbei

~ I'm all out of change ~

Beyond_Levels

Thu Oct-05-00 05:28 AM

9. "RE: More Poor Black folks on our block??"
In response to Reply # 7

Many issues to this story...

And I do agree that not all poor people got project mentalities... I been here.. grew up in one... and still can't wait to leave...

BUT!!
Will the city screen the applicants before just throwing them in the neighborhhod? And if so... How? How can they possibly do it with out discriminating against someone? Because then we can say... do they screen home owners before they buy a home in that area?

Is it really fair to both parties??
The people that will be moved will be resented by homeowners... homeowners run a chance of losing value in their property...

The end result will be... middle class will move out... and the neighborhood won't be able to sell property... and the property will become another area filled with HUD (section 8) homes...

a cycle?

Its hard to see it from both sides ((for me)) because I been in both situations....

beyond.

_______________Plugs

okaypoet?
WE MOVED!!
wanna be a part?
beyond.

judicem
Member since Jun 07th 2002
24 posts
Thu Oct-05-00 12:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Wow!"
In response to Reply # 0

Me and my boy were just talking about this as a scenario the other day. He was saying how he wanted to writ the skit on two old white dudes who wanted the ghetto back simply because the commute was too much. They were going to move all the folks in the ghetto out by simply starting a liquor store in the ghetto. The folks would now be in the suburbs so far out that no one would even acknowledge them. Like the Native Americans on reservations. And now the city would be rebuilt in to luxuary homes like the suburbs for the rich. The city would be theirs again... We were just playing with the thought creativly but I maybe we saw this already happening.

In San Francisco/Oakland the urban spots are now highly under regentrification. They are rebuilding housing for the poor at rates the poor can't afford. The poor are moving further and further out like Antioch and Stockton to find affordable housing. So far out that the city because this fading memory.

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Thu Oct-05-00 01:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Give 'em a chance???"
In response to Reply # 0

Me myself, I kind of agree with the ones that don't want them there...Some people don't ever change, for the better....and can't stand to see anyone else progress. I live a neighborhood, where there are good people and bad ones.

The good people, try to keep the neighborhood together, while the bad ones do all in their power to tear it down. Once you let the bad ones in, they bring in other disruptive people...then, they start selling drugs, standing around and destroying property!!!

They have gotten a lot of the rowdy people away from here, though. They have conviscated properties, from owners and put demands upon property owners which had to be met. They have turned this neighborhood, into more of an interacial neighborhood...Things are better. It is very risky for a property owner to let people from the "low end", come into a neighborhood, but if the community sticks together...meaning, calling police, when they suspect problems...and staying on their alderman, making sure that no serious problems occur, then everything should be alright.

***TRUE QUOTE***

"The lack of money, is the root of all evil!!!"--Rev. Ike

"Ouch!!!...That hurts!!

"Yeah Mon!!!

I LUV U 2!!!

RaShaunda

Thu Oct-05-00 01:58 PM

12. "I like the idea of"
In response to Reply # 0

of tearing down the projects, but it kinda seems like they could go about it in a different manner. Some people need to get out of that element and this would be their only way to survive. I do thinks it's real messed up that people react this way, but not to suprise by the reaction

"Why do women want to be equal to men when they are already vastly superior,"~George Bernard Shaw

"Too old for the games, too young for the stress,"~Erica Swanigan

PEACE & BLESSINGS

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21018 Previous topic | Next topic