Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #20683

Subject: "..except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in danger" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 10:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"..except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in danger"

In looking at the candidates' positions on abortion, I once again ran across this phrase:

"opposed to all abortion except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in danger."

For those who are anti-abortion among us AND who find the above exceptions to be acceptable or desirable, could someone explain to me why, if abortion is wrong oro a sin, it is less wrong or less of a sin to abort a fetus resulting from rape or incest?

Or, alternatively, are these exceptions uniformly abhorrent to those opposed to abortion?

Thanks.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: ..except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in da...
Shellypooh
Oct 12th 2000
and also...
Shellypooh
Oct 12th 2000
the logic?
Oct 12th 2000
      RE: the logic?
Shellypooh
Oct 12th 2000
           Actually
Oct 12th 2000
Was he anti-abortion
Oct 12th 2000
      RE: Was he anti-abortion
Shellypooh
Oct 12th 2000
I am ANTI-Abortion and Pro-Choice
Oct 12th 2000
Was that the question?
Oct 12th 2000
No, I just wanted 2 B N the mix!
Oct 12th 2000
I gotcha
KoalaLove
Oct 12th 2000
      Federal funding
Oct 12th 2000
Trauma
KoalaLove
Oct 12th 2000
yeah,
Oct 12th 2000
of course not
KoalaLove
Oct 12th 2000
      I hear that!
Oct 12th 2000
you said it all right here
Oct 12th 2000
      Doesn't it seem
Oct 12th 2000
           no
Oct 12th 2000
                Exactly...
KoalaLove
Oct 12th 2000
                     RE: Exactly...
Oct 12th 2000
Devil's advocate
KoalaLove
Oct 12th 2000
Angel's advocate
Oct 12th 2000
good luck
KoalaLove
Oct 16th 2000
that still wouldn't fly
Oct 12th 2000
THERE'S A THIN LINE
Oct 12th 2000
It's a tough call for everyone
Oct 12th 2000
      um?
Oct 12th 2000
           RE: um?
Oct 12th 2000
all i wanna know is
Oct 16th 2000
girl5
Oct 16th 2000
Distilled Spirits
Oct 18th 2000
KayaKaya
Oct 19th 2000
represent that
d-Best
Oct 20th 2000

Shellypooh

Thu Oct-12-00 10:52 AM

1. "RE: ..except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in da..."
In response to Reply # 0

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is acceptable because the number of those abortions performed are relatively low(that's why it's acceptable to them) . They don't believe a child or woman should go through another trauma of carrying child to full term and giving it away for adoption or should she be reminded of the horrible thing that has happened to her. That is the anti-abortion person reasoning.My ex-husband and I used to have this agrument all the time.

P.S . I am for a woman's choice.

Witty as can be , but not for sale . RUN DMC

Money is the key to end all your woes/ your ups and downs , your highs and your lows / Won't you tell the last time that love bought your clothes / It's like that and that's the way it is. HUH!!! RUN DMC

Shellypooh

Thu Oct-12-00 10:58 AM

3. "and also..."
In response to Reply # 1

It is very difficult to become pregnant in a rape situation.
So basically they are saying in a situation where you are least likely to become pregnant abortion is okay. Same crap , different day.

A 4u

Money is the key to end all your woes/ your ups and downs , your highs and your lows / Won't you tell the last time that love bought your clothes / It's like that and that's the way it is. HUH!!! RUN DMC

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "the logic?"
In response to Reply # 3

>It is very difficult to become
>pregnant in a rape situation.

How so?

>So basically they are saying in
>a situation where you are
>least likely to become pregnant
>abortion is okay.

So, if a couple is using a condom, a diaphragm, non-oxynol-9, I.U.D, the pill, and the rhythm method to avoid pregnancy, but somehow got pregnant anyway, it would be okay to get an abortion according to 'them'?

peace,
mosaic
AIM: TreisDeuce
http://www.recordkingdom.com
http://www.speaktruthtopower.com
insomniac cruciverbalist/phx
okayplayeristicpontiacfunkymusings
vivrance two thousand: get jawned with logic

Shellypooh

Thu Oct-12-00 12:34 PM

26. "RE: the logic?"
In response to Reply # 19

>>It is very difficult to become
>>pregnant in a rape situation.
>
>How so?
I don't know what some of these schools are teaching you but , try a book on a woman's reproductive system the info is in there.It is very difficult to become pregnant believe it or not, but when it occurs everything was in the right place at the right time.
>
>>So basically they are saying in
>>a situation where you are
>>least likely to become pregnant
>>abortion is okay.
>
>So, if a couple is using
>a condom, a diaphragm, non-oxynol-9,
>I.U.D, the pill, and the
>rhythm method to avoid pregnancy,
>but somehow got pregnant anyway,
>it would be okay to
>get an abortion according to
>'them'?
>
>
The woman wasn't raped now was she !!!!!! They are condemning premarital sex, pushing their morals on others . it's okay to get an abortion when you are forced , but not okay when you do it willingly.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 12:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "Actually"
In response to Reply # 26

I think it would be more accurate to say that, statistically, pregnancy resulting from rape is rare. That's not to that there's anything magical about violence that impairs conception, but, rather, for a whole host of reasons, the probability that any woman will become pregnant at any given time multiplied by the probability of significant ejaculate, etc., just leads to statistical improbability.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:07 AM

10. "Was he anti-abortion"
In response to Reply # 1

on strict religious grounds? Because the small number of pregnancies terminated for these reasons doesn't make it less murderous if you believe that it's murder. Does it? Nor does the trauma of bringing the pregnancy to full term negate the murder, if you believe that it's murder.

I can't imagine how hard it must have been to be married to someone with diametrically opposed political views.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Shellypooh

Thu Oct-12-00 12:37 PM

27. "RE: Was he anti-abortion"
In response to Reply # 10

Yes. It was a difficult 2 years. I managed to persuade him into believing that it is a woman's choice and if she is to be judged that is God's job , not his or the U.S government.

nushooz
Member since Nov 05th 2002
14 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 10:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I am ANTI-Abortion and Pro-Choice"
In response to Reply # 0

ANTI: I don't think abortion should be used like birth control.....

PRO: I don't think Reinquist and Clarence Carter...opps I mean Clarence Thomas should extend themselves to meddling inside MY body......

Abortion to me is just like homosexuality (in terms of deciding right and wrong) I can't say if it is - right or wrong. I'm just glad it ain me! I got enuff problems.

Come and Get It!

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz

I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

Live from the Shoe Sto, the Mall and NOW the courtroom

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:02 AM

5. "Was that the question?"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm anti-abortion and pro-choice, too. That wasn't my question or my intent. I'm trying to understand why those who are anti-abortion without qualifiers are willing to accept these exceptions.

Thanks, though.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

nushooz
Member since Nov 05th 2002
14 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "No, I just wanted 2 B N the mix!"
In response to Reply # 5

You know me....just trying to start MORE trouble....

Live
Nu
I,I, I Can't Wait!

nushooz@blackplanet.com

Live from the Shoe Sto, the Mall and NOW the courtroom

I, I, I Can't Wait?
U've waited long enuff!

KoalaLove

Thu Oct-12-00 11:05 AM

7. "I gotcha"
In response to Reply # 2

"Abortion to me is just like homosexuality"

I dont think there are any federally funded gay people- even the gay soldiers arent supposed to talk about it (and you wouldnt believe the stories they do talk about).

K

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:11 AM

14. "Federal funding"
In response to Reply # 7

for abortions has all but disappeared, too.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KoalaLove

Thu Oct-12-00 11:02 AM

4. "Trauma"
In response to Reply # 0

Those items are categorized as trauma- as such the state cant obligate citizens to endure trauma of their own volition on the behalf of political determinations. This also extends to the well being of the unborn child- drawing in the questionable integrity of the paternal mate; the excuse is- not only is the woman entitled to abort under those circumstances but she may additional have concerns for the child's well being.

consider also that some of these cases are regarding very young girls- obligating a 13 year old child to carry a child of molestation to term is something that not even the republicans would stand behind.

politics- its all politics

K

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:04 AM

6. "yeah,"
In response to Reply # 4

Because it's certainly not religion, is it? I think if I were going to be anti-abortion as a religious matter (I mean the kind of person who says "Abortion is murder"), then I would have to take the position that it's murder irrespective of how the pregnancy occurred, nahmean?

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KoalaLove

Thu Oct-12-00 11:06 AM

9. "of course not"
In response to Reply # 6

this from the same direction that applauds the death penalty-

this government's policies are by no means the custom of faith

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:09 AM

12. "I hear that!"
In response to Reply # 9

Those are the Eye-for-an-Eye folks. It seems logically inconsistent to condemn the one and support the other, but there ya have it.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:08 AM

11. "you said it all right here"
In response to Reply # 4

>politics- its all politics

does the word loophole sound familiar? in politics it's unwise to throw around absolutes.

the particular phrase you mention is tossed in so that those with opposing viewpoints can't say "But what if...."

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:11 AM

13. "Doesn't it seem"
In response to Reply # 11

that if opposition poses the What If question, those with strict religious views should be able to say "Tough. It's still murder"?

Frustrating.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:13 AM

15. "no"
In response to Reply # 13

because the goal of a politician is to get as many votes as possible, hence...

they cater to tohose who share their religious belief (or stated belief), but don't want to alienate those who don't share that faith.

your death penalty example is exactly the same. don't kill unless....

KoalaLove

Thu Oct-12-00 11:17 AM

17. "Exactly..."
In response to Reply # 15

The politician doesnt ask "what if" to get an answer- he only asks that so his constituents can waste their time talking about it amongst themselves- and then the next election year he asks again...

K

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:52 AM

25. "RE: Exactly..."
In response to Reply # 17

I mean, at least Buchanan is consistent. "Human Rights Amendment," my foot. Harrumph! How many times do I have to tell the people of this country that non-controversial Constitutional Amendments take decades to effect? Apparently Buchanan hasn't been listening to me or he's hoping that his constituents aren't.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KoalaLove

Thu Oct-12-00 11:15 AM

16. "Devil's advocate"
In response to Reply # 0

If I was a hardocore Christian zealot I might offer an explanation like so...

The child of sin is best relieved the stigma of inbred evil. If a baby is born of molestation, or rape- then sins of the father customs might bear a heavy burden on the spiritual development of the child.

While this is primarily a look into the manner of religious extremists I can see several "loopholes" as boodah put it that release the religious from contradicting themselves.

Any true Christian can just as easily side behind a long history of murder in the name of God- it was in several instances the specific work of angels to slaughter the children of infidels and supposedly this will again be the case in the end days.

Some people believe in striking down the wicked- or the seeds of evil.

Some of the people in this debate also encourage the bombing of abortion clinics- dont be surprised that they waffle on the whole murder thing.

K

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:28 AM

21. "Angel's advocate"
In response to Reply # 16

Although I appreciate your position, I would like to hear from anyone who is or calls themselves Christian who believes that the sins of the father can vest in the child, or that the manner in which conception occurs could create sin in a child.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KoalaLove

Mon Oct-16-00 09:11 AM

30. "good luck"
In response to Reply # 21

I dont think you'll find someone willing to speak up in that manner around here.

I should also refer you to the idea of abonimation. By this principle the vested sins of the child are irrelevant- the conception of the child is seen as an irreputable act against the will and nature of God that must be corrected. This same philosophy is attributed to homosexuals and even Blacks in some sects; it has fueled everything from inquisition to crusade.

But like Boodah says its not typified of Christian philosophy.

(Although Christian doctrine frequently compels that the righteous strike down the wicked)

K

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:30 AM

22. "that still wouldn't fly"
In response to Reply # 16

because by the tenets of the Christian faith all are born into (and guilty of) sin and to kill a child concieved as a result of a particular sin is only compounding the sin.

again, this is the need for the loophole (which isn't in anyway spiritually grounded). it allows a place to retreat when the faiths teachings don't agree with what is "fair" by human standards.

Looking at the case of those who are willing to kill to stop a killing, where's the "Christain" (or whatever) in that?

I don't want to start another religious debate, but this goes back to the fact that many who CLAIM certain religions live completely beyond what the faith teaches. Anybody can SAY they are whatever, but when you look at their fruit of their lives the truth is revealed.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
(see Candy1's sig about what that means)
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
-----------------------------
"What are we as African Americans? Let's really examine how we are contributing to the projection of our own images of ourselves. What are we really willing to give up? Our integrity? The honor of our community, just for some money? "-Jada

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:19 AM

18. "THERE'S A THIN LINE"
In response to Reply # 0

You can also add on to that list "in cases were the health of the mother is seriously jeapordized." Laws are man made and easily subjected to interpretation and individual sentiment, thus we have supreme court precedents.

There is no hard and fast rule that supports the principles of the most avid anti-abortionist with regard to these clauses. I believe it probably just boils down to believing that it would be almost inhumane to subject an individual to bringing to term a child that has been conceived in such a manner. . .not only physically but mentally as well. But you will find that anti-abortionists who harbour that adamance, based upon religion beliefs, believe that NO circumstance warrants abortion.

I am so torn on this issue having had to experience it but also being on a spiritual journey that teaches me that murder is always wrong. In the end the the onus HAS to be left up to the expectant mother to make the decision in whatever scenario. Hopefully she will make the right choice.

"One of the things I fear most is to be on my death bed wondering what I've done with my life and thinking it has meant nothing"- me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:26 AM

20. "It's a tough call for everyone"
In response to Reply # 18

As NuShooz pointed out, I don't think there's anyone who actually favors abortion. We can speculate about people who are completely irresponsible about birth control, but I'm willing to give even them the benefit of the doubt.

So, are you saying that there are instances of "justifiable homicide"?

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

JustLisa
Charter member
50995 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:31 AM

23. "um?"
In response to Reply # 20

>So, are you saying that there
>are instances of "justifiable homicide"?

Well in not necessarily in the case of abortion (if I keep my spiritual hat on). But concerning you initial question that would be a resounding yes- according to most anti-abortionists and republicans. And in other matters? But of course there are many examples of situations where homicide would be logical/understandable. . .especially when in self defense. I guess it wouldn't be far fetched to use the self-defense argument to support an abortion suit. . .that would be an interesting defense.
>
>

"One of the things I fear most is to be on my death bed wondering what I've done with my life and thinking it has meant nothing"- me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage ~ ANAIS NIN

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-12-00 11:35 AM

24. "RE: um?"
In response to Reply # 23

I guess what I meant was -- It's still murder but sometimes murder is acceptable?

Happily, there is no need to have any defense to performing or obtaining a first trimester abortion or a later abortion if the health or life of the mother is endangered. These are constitutionally protected rights. One frequently, of course, might need a bullet proof vest in order to exercise one's constitutionally protected rights...

(By the way, this all got started via the Presidential Candidates thread...)

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

nebt_het
Charter member
4614 posts
Mon Oct-16-00 07:12 AM

29. "all i wanna know is"
In response to Reply # 0

why dont we work on the situation of why woamn chose abortions!
why is havin a child and being able to rasie it an issue?
the system makes it hard change the system and eff the debate of abort or not to abort!
every woman has a right to have childern so why we have to struggle to feed there mouths?

Factology -vs- theology
http://www.factology.com

"Why grieve because all of your dreams have not come true? Neither have all your nightmares."

girl5

Mon Oct-16-00 04:18 PM

31. "RE: ..except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in da..."
In response to Reply # 0

What I want to know is if all of these MEN are so anxious to save lives, why are they (ie: Gov. Bush) ALSO so anxious to kill so many on death row?! What's up with the double standards? You can't argue that one life is more valuable than another...it just ain't fair.

Distilled Spirits

Wed Oct-18-00 07:13 AM

32. "RE: ..except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in da..."
In response to Reply # 0

There are those who are categorically opposed to abortion...and they are the only ones I have any respect for...all the rest are not against abortion, just against it when it is not on their terms and in line with their morality.

KayaKaya

Thu Oct-19-00 07:31 AM

33. "RE: ..except in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in da..."
In response to Reply # 0

my two cents (and sorry if it's already been said, i'm too impatient to read every reply ):
if a woman has been raped, why should she have to come forward and say "i was raped" to get an abortion?
if she is the victim of incest, why should she have to make her case public?
does everyone have to know her private life?
this whole issue is all about finding ways to control a woman's body and actions. plain and simple.
think about how many people who are so pro-life that support the death penalty. if they were so concerned about "life," they would be right there in the mumia protests.
...hmmmm, now think about what their real reasons are.

book to read: From Abortion to Reproductive Freedom: Transforming a Movement, ed. Marlene Gerber Fried

Kaya to Darshana - "We are two sexy bitches!"

IM - espkjones

WesU01!

d-Best

Fri Oct-20-00 11:15 AM

34. "represent that"
In response to Reply # 33

nuff said

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #20683 Previous topic | Next topic