Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #20455

Subject: "Militant Black Nationalism ..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Thu Oct-26-00 03:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Militant Black Nationalism ..."

what does it mean to you?

(dedicated to KoalaLove)

love and respect,
El Rey

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org

not only am I a co-founder of the HBN, I'm a (daily) client.

a conversation I hate to have missed:

"y'all ain't in philly, y'all in the chi!"
"awww we fittin to send some nigga downtown" -- some pig

"suck a dick, arrest me if you gonna do it"
-black thought, oct 24 2000.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Militant Black Nationalism ...
Oct 26th 2000
Again...
Oct 26th 2000
RE: Again...
Phraktal
Oct 26th 2000
Oct 26th 2000
Oct 27th 2000
and separation/segregation are good ideas?
Oct 29th 2000
semantically
KoalaLove
Oct 27th 2000
Nationalism not separatism
KoalaLove
Oct 27th 2000
      RE: Nationalism
Oct 27th 2000
           I can respect that
Phraktal
Oct 27th 2000
           I can't see how it's possible ...
Oct 27th 2000
           RE: I can respect that
Fletch
Oct 28th 2000
           RE: Nationalism
Oct 27th 2000
Capitalism and supremacy
Oct 27th 2000

360sunsumyea
Charter member
653 posts
Thu Oct-26-00 01:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Militant Black Nationalism ..."
In response to Reply # 0

to me, this means a commitment to building an independent nation of black people. a mbn believes that the only way black people will ever stop being oprreseed, disrespected... is to take full economic, social, and political control of their communities and organize that into a nation that can come to the playing field (world trade, world negotiations...) strong and powerful.

i think that is the ideal, but i also think there are varying degrees of knowledge by those who profess to be mbn. for some, it is an escapist way of dealing with constant oppression and only resorts in angry bitternes and a lot of "textbook militancy"

ok, i could say more, but basically that's it

any more takers?

**********THE SIG**********

i'm a tru pisces tryna flow in the direction of both of these okplayer quotes:

"I m raising a fuckin angelic being who is going to replenish this fuckin earths cuz in 2G all we fuckin do is talk.....im teachin my seed to turn his spirit inside out and spread beams of green light"
-nebbie

"GOd give me the strength to change the things i can, understanding for those i cannot and the muthafuckin heart to stand up for my beliefs and principles, so that when the government that is suppossed to protect me turns against me and my people we will have the means, the might and the muthafuckin gun power to blow away our oppressors
umm amen"
-earthqueen

and last but not least:

"all things considered, i'd rather be me"
-bfnh

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Thu Oct-26-00 02:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Again..."
In response to Reply # 0

...peep this site:

http://WWW.PROJECTHOOD.COM

After the knee jerk reaction to the open call for "africanites" to unite and the obvious connection to militant black nationalism, we found some interesting info to discuss.

"Know thyself"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Phraktal

Thu Oct-26-00 06:27 PM

4. "RE: Again..."
In response to Reply # 2

Not to post jack El_Rey, but the link to Project Nationhood peaked my interest.

I'm curious as to why someone would compare this to the white supremacy hate group sites on the web. Personally, I just don't see the connection.

Even though I feel the site could go more in depth with their ideas (some seem half-baked), I believe "nationhood" is an option worth considering. Am I alone on this?

rhulah
Charter member
4409 posts
Thu Oct-26-00 03:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Militant Black Nationalism ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Militant is not a bad word, never was. Intergration is the a "fucked" up concept.

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Oct-27-00 02:28 AM

5. "RE: Militant Black Nationalism ..."
In response to Reply # 3

no "militant" is NOT a "bad word."

is NATIONALISM necessarily the opposite of integration, though?

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Sun Oct-29-00 09:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "and separation/segregation are good ideas?"
In response to Reply # 3

and nationalism almost always functions close to fascism.

Thanks for reading. I love you.

In Rotation:
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Q Tip - Amplified
Radiohead - Kid A
Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door
Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh
BDP - Ghetto Music: The Blueprint Of HipHop

don't be fkn evil.

KoalaLove

Fri Oct-27-00 02:50 AM

6. "semantically"
In response to Reply # 0

Militant- a general attitude of oppositional politics, Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a
cause.

Black- the race objector and classifier for the African American race revolutionary; conceptualized in the Movement by the likes of Amiri Baraka, Ron Karenga, and Kwame Turre.

Nationalist- in the same breadth of the race objector the additional concept of the Black nation emerged- one popular slogan being "Nation Time." The idea was also supported in theories of the NOI's Tribe of Shabazz.

These terms combine to describe a general disposition not necessarily a commitment to any particular cause. Me personally I fight for the eductaion and enlightenment of all people as well as the founding of mutual respect and dignity among African Americans- on the basis of these properties.

K

KoalaLove

Fri Oct-27-00 02:55 AM

7. "Nationalism not separatism"
In response to Reply # 6

My impression of nationalism is not to disjoin the union of American states- although I do not undermine the value of that position.

In my opinion nationalism can refer to the community ties that are very much apparent (although strained in some areas) in the Black community- not necessarily the physical or political boundaries available.

To be truthful I dont think Black Nationalists will be satisfied in being separatists- we dont want a country of our own- we want this one.

K

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Oct-27-00 04:36 AM

8. "RE: Nationalism"
In response to Reply # 7

I ask because many people go around talking about Nationalism like it is a great thing. Though many people have been confronting the notion that nationalism is necessarily liberatory concept. Often, Nationalism is based on the MYTH of the NATION, and those that get to define the terms of the nation are the ones calling the shots as to different peoples position/roles within the nation. To me, the NATION is an exclusive concept, that is ... it is based on the exclusion of those who are deemed to be OUTSIDE the definition of the nation. Often, this includes, but is not limited to queer people, multiracial people who may or may not identify as black, and women who don't relinquish their power to men. Because of this, I question the validity of Nationalist politics as a viable liberatory praxis, especially in a country such as this where people of all walks of life are struggling to make sense of it all (and to make ends meet for that matter).

We need a more inclusionary politics where eurocentrism, misogyny, homophobia, and classism are challanged by people who are willing to step outside of their conditioning and fight for justice and understanding. Some ish that's never been tried before. Some next level ish for 2G.

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Phraktal

Fri Oct-27-00 05:52 AM

9. "I can respect that"
In response to Reply # 8

I just have some honest questions that anyone who has an honest answer can respond to...

>We need a more inclusionary politics
>where eurocentrism, misogyny, homophobia, and
>classism are challanged by people
>who are willing to step
>outside of their conditioning and
>fight for justice and understanding.
>Some ish that's never been
>tried before. Some next level
>ish for 2G.

1) Would these inclusionary politics exist under the current capitalist system?

2) Do you believe that capitalism has anything to do with the mistreatment of "non-whites" in this country?

3) Do you believe that a group of people (such as African-Americans) can recieve a fair shake within a capitalist society without controling some aspect of industry?

peace...

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Fri Oct-27-00 06:29 AM

12. "I can't see how it's possible ..."
In response to Reply # 9

to do ANYTHING "inclusive" without destroying capitalism. Capitalism is inherently divisive, and (as we've seent ime and time again) has pit brother against brother too many times.

>1) Would these inclusionary politics exist
>under the current capitalist system?

see above

>2) Do you believe that capitalism
>has anything to do with
>the mistreatment of "non-whites" in
>this country?

see above (capitalism also has a nasty way of linking itself up with a number of other exclusionary "isms" to create larger webs of oppression)

>3) Do you believe that a
>group of people (such as
>African-Americans) can recieve a fair
>shake within a capitalist society
>without controling some aspect of
>industry?

As implied from the above statements, I'm not so sure that there is any way that true justice can be had within the capitalist system. Now is "receiving a fare shake" the same thing as doing away with oppression ... no. I'm sure that certain African-Americans can "succeed" within the capitalist system, but at what cost are people willing to make this sacrifice?

love and respect,
El Rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Fletch

Sat Oct-28-00 08:41 AM

13. "RE: I can respect that"
In response to Reply # 9

>3) Do you believe that a
>group of people (such as
>African-Americans) can recieve a fair
>shake within a capitalist society
>without controling some aspect of
>industry?

Not to nit pick, but assuming the capitalist economy seems to force the conclusion that the "group" of people is not owning anything; rather a few people control the wealth.

Control of industry by a few probably doesn't mean any increase in the fairness to other members of that group.

Fletch

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Oct-27-00 06:24 AM

11. "RE: Nationalism"
In response to Reply # 8

AT the projectnation web site the term "africanite" is used to replace African-American. I think it's an interesting concept and attempt at moving away from American and including other ethnic backgrounds.

"Know thyself"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Oct-27-00 06:23 AM

10. "Capitalism and supremacy"
In response to Reply # 0

> 1) Would these inclusionary politics exist under the current capitalist system?

I doubt it. Capitalism and supremacy are kin. Each maintains or supports the other. The people who benefit most and have the strongest power base under capitalism (white, anglo/protestant) are the same people who assert their power or supreme-ness over people of color using media, education, etc.

In order for the Black Nation to survive it will have to split away from the current system and recreate another system within the system.

2) Do you believe that capitalism has anything to do with the mistreatment of "non-whites" in this country?

My answer is yes.

3) Do you believe that a group of people (such as African-Americans) can recieve a fair shake within a capitalist society without controling some aspect of industry?

No. African-Americans need to build a power base that includes control of information, some higher degree of wealth, etc.

"Know thyself"

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #20455 Previous topic | Next topic