Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #19501

Subject: "put up or shutup (redux)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 12:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"put up or shutup (redux)"

with all due respect to the converstaions going on, it's time for a litle 'mo action.

in the interest of actual ACTION i'd love to see some suggestions for our next "event".

so, for all you who complain about us "not doing enough" or "being all talk" or "too involved with ourselves" or whatever, here's YOUR chance to mobilize the troops.

like some guy once said:

Life Is Short....Stop Playin'

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Word!
Dec 18th 2000
i missed the part
Dec 18th 2000
      ha???
Dec 19th 2000
okay
Dec 18th 2000
RE: okay
derby
Dec 19th 2000
I volunteer to help here
Dec 20th 2000
The Real WORD
Dec 18th 2000
good stuff, but...
Dec 18th 2000
That's just the point.
Dec 18th 2000
      inglewood ca
Dec 18th 2000
      That's why I like the South!
Dec 18th 2000
      RE: inglewood ca
Dec 19th 2000
           you gotta lawn?
Dec 19th 2000
      RE: That's just the point.
derby
Dec 19th 2000
RE: The Real WORD
nappyhead earth
Dec 21st 2000
How about
Dec 18th 2000
good
Dec 18th 2000
So how do we
Dec 18th 2000
      no sir....
Dec 18th 2000
           Okay (player)
Dec 18th 2000
Dec 18th 2000
                     Alright
Dec 18th 2000
                          RE: Alright
Dec 18th 2000
Change it to what and why?
Dec 18th 2000
Brotha
Dec 18th 2000
Realize...
Dec 18th 2000
RE: Realize...
Dec 18th 2000
FYI
Dec 18th 2000
      I figured that
Dec 18th 2000
           Besides
Dec 18th 2000
                Did I say leave?
Dec 19th 2000
                     What's most likely to happen
Dec 19th 2000
Correction: "are NOT meant to discourage you."
Dec 18th 2000
      No correction
Dec 18th 2000
RE: How about
derby
Dec 19th 2000
Raise Money for Zimbabwe
Dec 18th 2000
Clean Up!!!!!!!
abysinian
Dec 18th 2000
OkayUmoja
Dec 18th 2000
This is Activism!
Dec 19th 2000
      SOLARUS!!!!!!!!
Dec 19th 2000
I think it would be hard
Dec 18th 2000
mmmkay...
Dec 19th 2000
RE: mmmkay...
nappyhead earth
Dec 21st 2000
RE: put up or shutup (redux)
yinka
Dec 19th 2000
How I see it
Dec 19th 2000
      prime example
yinka
Dec 19th 2000
           I agree
Dec 19th 2000
i'm down
Dec 19th 2000
EMPOWERMENT EMPOWERMENT EMPOWERMENT
Dec 19th 2000
documentation
Dec 19th 2000
go here...
Dec 19th 2000
i like this best so far...
Dec 19th 2000
I'm Down
Dec 20th 2000
Me too n/m
Dec 20th 2000
here's what i'll do...
Dec 20th 2000
      Also
Dec 20th 2000
           good point...n/m
Dec 20th 2000
up
Dec 21st 2000
RE: put up or shutup (redux)
nappyhead earth
Dec 21st 2000
TUPAC CONFERENCE
sthngrl
Dec 21st 2000
new thread
yinka
Dec 22nd 2000
well
Dec 22nd 2000
      RE: well
yinka
Dec 22nd 2000
           try this, then
Dec 22nd 2000
OkayVolunteer Corp.
abysinian
Dec 22nd 2000
Wonderful idea
Wise_7
Jan 18th 2001
      Things that don't cost much $$
Wise_7
Jan 18th 2001
SO WHAT HAVE WE DECIDED TO DO???? 12/27/00
nappyhead earth
Dec 27th 2000
well
Dec 27th 2000
      RE: well
nappyhead earth
Dec 28th 2000
           Hmmmm
Dec 29th 2000
                True Indeed...
nappyhead earth
Dec 30th 2000
one last push
Jan 02nd 2001
D.C.
Jan 18th 2001
Dallas Okayplayers...
native2001
Jan 17th 2001

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 12:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Word!"
In response to Reply # 0

"To be perfect is to lack nothing essential to the whole therefore I AM."- Solarus

"And if I have to dead you, it's only cuz I love you."- Talib Kweli

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 12:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i missed the part"
In response to Reply # 1

..with your suggestion.

don't ya hate when an accidental "enter" cuts you off like that?

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
40. "ha???"
In response to Reply # 2

how about rushing Capital Hill with the gats..

Buckem Down
Buckem Down
Buckem Down
Buckem Down
Buckem Down
Buckem Down

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

JUSTICE
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 12:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "okay"
In response to Reply # 0

January 20th in DC there is a Inagural Protest. Lets try to get some heads out there, I might hop on a greyhound. Who's going already? Who wants to go?

JUSTICE~Attorney General~DPS!
S.P.A.S. member and lover of:
http://www.recordkingdom.com
http://www.neckexersize.com
=============================
"the government is going to enhance an already-powerful ODB with cybernetics and a secret strength formula and turn him into a supersoldier ala Captain America."---Mosaic
Jumpin on the Banwagon: San Diego Player Shouts!
MikeCzech UNITE tashiko michealo Framamind lolatin 33andathird Nickelz45 JZen esclavo guevarapower !

++++++++++++++++++++++++
myspace.com/sonnyphono
dlxsf.com

derby

Tue Dec-19-00 10:18 AM

41. "RE: okay"
In response to Reply # 3

im goin to the protest at the white house on 1-20-01. ill be the irsh freckled face kid with nappy hair and i tight poster. hope to run into ya.peace -derby

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Wed Dec-20-00 09:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
53. "I volunteer to help here"
In response to Reply # 3

I live in DC. anyone who needs sleeping arrangements, e-mail me.

Easy,

Spirit

http://www.theamphibians.com - CLICK
IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I don't know I just picture him as the
Hip Hop Grim Reaper coming to my door
step when I die, with the hoddie and
all." Los79 on Hub the Grim Bassist

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 02:27 PM

4. "The Real WORD"
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

I apologize for that last post but I got caught up and had to leave the office because they were closing up.

*Keep in mind these constructs that I'll be referring to:
1.Power = the ability to define reality
2.Control = the use of power over a particular entity or entities
3.Passivism = a practice that emphasizes appealling to an external, governing source of power to achieve some sort of change and/or gain, especially in social status.
4.Activism is the practice of emphasizing the use of an internal, self-determining source of power to enact some sort of change

COMMUNITY STRATEGIES
Here are just a few:

1. Starting school/child development program-

This is my first order of business because childhood is the beginning of the indoctrination into the current system of living. This is the phase where psycho-social control is firmly established because school becomes the determining factor of KNOWLEDGE about the world. Thus the reality is securely defined. I have (but temporarily haven't since the move in Aug) worked with many youth programs and will continue to do so. The point is that starting schools based on African-centered values and teaching methods is a must if any change will or can be made. "They" (propagators of the system) know this too. Why was this a topic of discussion at the IMF/World Bank convention in August? Why have numerous offers been made to buy out the successful Garvey Institute in LA? Why was an offer made for millions of dollars to be given to the school if cameras were put in? Because "they" know that their power stems largely from enculturation at schools.

2. Farming and self-sufficiency-

Because the acquisition and retention of fertile and arable land is exceedingly difficult for persons of color (see plight of the black farmers), the emphasis needs to be more on the cultivation of land. Acquiring land is definitely important but being able to cultivate
half an acre is even more important. The key here is not necessarily separation but moreso self-sufficiency. The key to American domination of itself and of other countries is their buying into dependency. Americans become more and more dependent on credit cards, grocery stores, backs, MONEY in general, to sustain their lives. This is why Y2K could cause such a huge scare for the masses of people. Luxuries have become "necessities." Other countries (especially "third World") learn the Western way PARTIALLY with faulty sewers, inefficient housing, etc. This causes unsanitary conditions then they DEPEND on the West to support them basically giving total control of their land to Western nations. Thus the emphasis on agriculture needs to be enforced in order to become self-sustaining.

3. Building of Communities-

Where are the Black communities? "Hispanic" communities? In most cases there are none. All one sees is "Black or hispanic REGIONS or GHETTOS." Inherent in the word "community" is "unity." "come-to unity" does not exist. Communities are established when "like-minds" live together with common goals. This is not going to happen by simply introducing yourself to the neighbors. Communities are established when individuals have a connection that is larger that just the desire to "maintain a safe neighborhood." No the key is for groups of people who have the same goals and wishes, who can trust each other with one another's children, who interact more than just superficially at "get-togethers" and "neighborhood meetings." NO this happens when the neighbors are as personal to you as siblings, to the point where even if you are not totally monolithic in thought (which is unhealthy in the firs place) they'll have your back and you'll have theirs regardless. PEople such as this need to make concerted efforts to move into the same neighborhoods to where eventually they will have it on LOCK.

PERSONAL STRATEGIES:

1.Always seek to destroy all vestiges of the Western conceptual system that may pervade your thoughts.
2.Pay close attention to physical health and begin to learn more about healthy ways of living.
3.MARTIAL ARTS!!!!!!!
4.Need STONG BASE and CONNECTION WITH OTHERS.
5.SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT (Paying attention to last three should automatically lead you to this. If not then check last three.)
6. NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace
Solarus

"To be perfect is to lack nothing essential to the whole therefore I AM."- Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 02:48 PM

6. "good stuff, but..."
In response to Reply # 4

i feel your suggestions, but what do you suggest that WE as an okayplayer collective can do NOW (now meaning as soon as whatever planning we need to do takes place)?

i'd love to see us start a farm, or something - but is that real in terms of the limitations we have (few in number, little/no cash, etc)?

further suggestions are welcome...

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:01 PM

10. "That's just the point."
In response to Reply # 6

Hotep

My emphasis was on FARMING. Where do you live? In most houses in the South (I lived in Dallas and Atlanta) the yards are large enough to grow food. It doesn't take that much land to grow many different types of food. I KNOW PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING THIS. I recently met some individuals here in DC (MAryland) who are doing the same. The martial arts school (temple) that I attend grows crops that the students must take apart in cultivating. Therefore IT DOESN'T REQUIRE MUCH MONEY. Only time and effort. I don't know about further up North where people live like DAMN RATS. (Just joking)

Peace

Solarus

"To be perfect is to lack nothing essential to the whole therefore I AM."-Solarus

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:08 PM

11. "inglewood ca"
In response to Reply # 10

and we live like rats here too

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:16 PM

14. "That's why I like the South!"
In response to Reply # 11

"To be perfect is to lack nothing essential to the whole therefore I AM."-
Solarus

LittleTortilla
Charter member
25462 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 10:07 AM

39. "RE: inglewood ca"
In response to Reply # 11

no farm land there!

December is Public Announcement month:
Read a book today.
Listen to Mos Def today.
Smile at an old lady today.
Learn how to use a condom today.
This is message was brought to you by: Casadeeyah Phaheeta Laquisha Jankeens-Rodriquez

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 10:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
45. "you gotta lawn?"
In response to Reply # 39

then you can rock a garden, so you can practice.

one
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

derby

Tue Dec-19-00 10:32 AM

42. "RE: That's just the point."
In response to Reply # 10

yeah, youre right. it doesnt take much land to grow fruits and vegetables. in the spring im gonna put a peach tree in our front yard, and grow lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes in the back yard. i live right near dc too, out in va. peace yall, derby
im/email:derby83g@cs.com

nappyhead earth

Thu Dec-21-00 11:44 AM

57. "RE: The Real WORD"
In response to Reply # 4

>3. Building of Communities-
>
>Where are the Black communities? "Hispanic"
>communities? In most cases
>there are none. All
>one sees is "Black or
>hispanic REGIONS or GHETTOS."
>Inherent in the word "community"
>is "unity." "come-to unity"
>does not exist. Communities
>are established when "like-minds" live
>together with common goals.
>This is not going to
>happen by simply introducing yourself
>to the neighbors. Communities are
>established when individuals have a
>connection that is larger that
>just the desire to "maintain
>a safe neighborhood." No
>the key is for groups
>of people who have the
>same goals and wishes, who
>can trust each other with
>one another's children, who interact
>more than just superficially at
>"get-togethers" and "neighborhood meetings."
> NO this happens when
>the neighbors are as personal
>to you as siblings, to
>the point where even if
>you are not totally monolithic
>in thought (which is unhealthy
>in the firs place) they'll
>have your back and you'll
>have theirs regardless. PEople
>such as this need to
>make concerted efforts to move
>into the same neighborhoods to
>where eventually they will have
>it on LOCK.

Ah, Solarus, I look forward to the day when this is made manifest..

peace
nappyhead

"tell me what you gon' do to get free? WE NEED MORE THAN EMCEES, WE NEED HUEYS AND REVOLUTIONARIES..." M1, deadprez

"...with the painstaking precision of taggin'
with a Magnum on thread
I sowed my own Parable..."--me

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 02:47 PM

5. "How about"
In response to Reply # 0

we start a email campaigne to change the way we elect the President in this county??? Considering the population of the boards (all over America) if we all emailed our representatives, along with some media agencies (MTV), we could possibly start something.

It's a hot topic right now that's ripe for movement, but nobody is doing anything (that I know).

What do you think???

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 02:49 PM

7. "good"
In response to Reply # 5

a seemingly viable effort, and ideas on how to do it?

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 02:54 PM

8. "So how do we"
In response to Reply # 7

kick it off??? Should we see if Angieee has a mailing list of all the players and start with that? The email addresses are public information for our representatives, but we could include a specific link to everybodies reps/congressmans.

What's first Brother Boodaah?

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 02:57 PM

9. "no sir...."
In response to Reply # 8

>What's first Brother Boodaah?

in an effort to NOT have this be soething that is seen as some sort of "BooDaah thang" i'm letting y'all drive.

i'm down for discussion, and when the time comes, supporting whatever action WE decide.

okayactivist is not me: it's us.

in this case...you tell me the next step.

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:15 PM

12. "Okay (player)"
In response to Reply # 9

>in an effort to NOT have
>this be soething that is
>seen as some sort of
>"BooDaah thang" i'm letting y'all
>drive.
>
>i'm down for discussion, and when
>the time comes, supporting whatever
>action WE decide.
>
>okayactivist is not me: it's us.

Every movement needs a spokesperson, whether that is Angieee or you or ?love, I don't care. It can't be me because only a handfull of players know me, so I have little to no credibililty. So the visable leader has to be someone who represents Okayplayer. I've already recommended a start (gathering a email listing of all the players and compiling the reps names) but that has to be done by someone with the information (Angieee).

Also, we need to know if this is something that the players are interested in. That also needs to be done by someone with a conection to everyone who comes to the boards. I can see ?love helping this movement just by using his celebrity status, but once again, does he want to do something like this.

I don't have connects with these people, you do.

So once again the ball is in your court. I'll help in any way I can, but I'm gonna have limited (no) impact without some Okay muscle.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:22 PM

15. ".."
In response to Reply # 12

> It can't be me
>because only a handfull of
>players know me, so I
>have little to no credibililty.

that's not true. you have as much "juice" as anyone else when it coes to making whatever happen (particularly the planning part). believe it.

i'm sure angiee ouwld love to "sanction" any event (within what she determines is reasonable), that you put forth.

don't underestimate yourself.

>Also, we need to know if
>this is something that the
>players are interested in.

which is the purpose of this post..

if folk agree then the ball shall roll (and even if not, you can still do it -- i'll support ya as best i can, and that makes at least two).

>I don't have connects with these
>people, you do.

no sir, no i don't. i met angiee (briefly) once, and other than that no connecto. i'm just the doorman here. don't get it twisted.

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:31 PM

17. "Alright"
In response to Reply # 15

Jesse Jr. lives around the corner from me, I'll stop by on the way home tonite to holla at'em.

SIKE!!! (he does live around the corner)

Boodaah, how about you notify Angieee and Questlove on my behalf while I contact the Chicago Kids and see what they think about this little idea.

I'm not into sending email to strangers, I hope you understand.

We will see what happens.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:44 PM

21. "RE: Alright"
In response to Reply # 17

>how about you notify Angieee
>and Questlove on my behalf

how about we develop the idea (plan on how to implement, get the details nahmeen), then i'll make sure to send them an email (although this is also something you don't have to wait on me to do).

contacting the chicago folk to brainstorm is a great idea.

>I'm not into sending email to
>strangers, I hope you understand.

right.... unsolicited mail is definitely a pain.

>We will see what happens.

i look forward to it..

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:26 PM

16. "Change it to what and why?"
In response to Reply # 5

Hotep

How should it be changed and why?
What is the political process that is involve in this process?
What effect could and would letters sent to representatives around the country have?
If it was changed would it REALLY make a difference? HOW?

These questions are meant to discourage you but they need to be addressed before further action is taken.

Peace

Solarus

"To be perfect is to lack nothing essential to the whole therefore I AM."-Solarus

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:37 PM

18. "Brotha"
In response to Reply # 16

I think we all agree that the Electoral College must go! At the very least it should be modified to represent the people more, as in baseing the electoral vote on the actual vote. I think two states currently are structured like that, everywhere else is all or nothing.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:47 PM

22. "Realize..."
In response to Reply # 18

Hotep

That the electoral college gives a stronger voice to states with a small population, therefore over at least 12 states would be against it because that would give states with large populations, a bigger edge. Then one has to consider that this is a CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUE and CHANGING the constitution is an unnecessarily long and drawn-out process. It's not as simple as ADDING TO. Besides this feat would not be TRUE activism, it's passivism (see my second post).

Overall this effort could cause REAL change to occur only alot of over-expended energy. (I am trying to discourage you this time.):-(
Peace
Solarus

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:59 PM

24. "RE: Realize..."
In response to Reply # 22

>Hotep

What does that mean?

>That the electoral college gives a
>stronger voice to states with
>a small population, therefore over
>at least 12 states would
>be against it because that
>would give states with large
>populations, a bigger edge.

That's not true. The electoral college is based on population of each state. So Florida gets 25 votes while Maine gets 4.

>Then one has to consider
>that this is a CONSTITUTIONAL
>ISSUE and CHANGING the constitution
>is an unnecessarily long and
>drawn-out process.

First remember that the Consitution gets amended not changed. And yes this process can take a long time, but I believe that it could be done by the next election.

It's not
>as simple as ADDING TO.

It is, that's why they call it amendments.

> Besides this feat
>would not be TRUE activism,
>it's passivism (see my second
>post).

You are entitled to your opinion.

>Overall this effort could cause REAL
>change to occur only alot
>of over-expended energy. (I
>am trying to discourage you
>this time.):-(

How I see it, it's an ideal who's time has come. Somebody with start the change, we can be that someone.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:54 PM

23. "FYI"
In response to Reply # 18

I think AMERICA must go! }>

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 04:01 PM

25. "I figured that"
In response to Reply # 23

already. How I see it, our people did WAY TOO MUCH for this muthafucka to walk away from it now.

It's time to see some results from our sweat equity.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 04:08 PM

26. "Besides"
In response to Reply # 25

Where are we gonna go? Would you recommend turning the African American population into the Palestinians?

Brotha, we are already here, so we might as well make the most out it.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 07:48 AM

33. "Did I say leave?"
In response to Reply # 26

Hotep (transliteration of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs into English alphabets, means "Peace")

I didn't say leave, I said that "America" (current body of rule) needs to go. No matter how much you work and "slave" for a company, does that make the company yours? NO!! ESPECIALLY IF YOU AREN'T GETTING PAID FOR IT!! Do you think the indigenous people of this land want to leave it. No that just want "Americans" to leave. The fact remains that this country was never FOR US despite the fact that it was BY US. It still isn't for us and never will unless the power is taken AWAY from the current ruling system.

Petitioning to changing the amendment will only acknowledges the current power structure thus defeating the purpose. Instead of asking the bully to let you get a hit in so you'll get beat up with dignity, go learn a martial art and develop yourself internally and externally. In other words, don't ask them to let you have more of a say in who fucks you, instead don't allow them to fuck you at all.

Like in the Matrix, when Neo asked Morpheus, will he be able to dodge bullets, Morpheus said you won't have to. Why? Because he no longer acknowledge the Matrix as a system of control. This means that to gain power one has to make oneself self-sufficient of the current ruling system. Only true activism adheres to this ideal.

Peace
Solarus

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 08:17 AM

36. "What's most likely to happen"
In response to Reply # 33

A) we work within the system to change it

B) we throw away the old system and establish a new one

Do you realize the America form of government is one of the oldest political institutions in existance? The reality of it is that our government ain't going nowhere. I'm no "Uncle Tom" or not shit like that, but I am a realist. What it takes to change our government, from the outside, we (okayplayer) aren't equipped to do. No fringe group in our society can realistically touch the way this country is ran. The only way to influence it is from the inside.

Look brotha, this could become a philosophical debate (which is where these conversations always end up) or we can do something. I'm not much for debating, I prefer planning and action.

Peace (hotep)

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:39 PM

19. "Correction: "are NOT meant to discourage you.""
In response to Reply # 16

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:40 PM

20. "No correction"
In response to Reply # 19

necessary, I can read between the words and the lines.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

derby

Tue Dec-19-00 10:34 AM

43. "RE: How about"
In response to Reply # 5

we should do that. it might not cahnge anything immediately, but the more protesting we do, the more likely we are to get the attention of the politicians.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 03:15 PM

13. "Raise Money for Zimbabwe"
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

We can raise money for Zimbabwe. Throughout this year, the people of Zimbabwe have re-claiming the land for the white settlers owned the majority of the fertile land. They have been going to their farms and forcing them off. Britain and Australia have offered to take in any refugees. As one can see, they have somewhere to go because that is NOT where they are from.

I suggest that we raise money to support the efforts of the people of Zimbabwe or raise money to send a group of okayplayers there in order to help the people in their efforts to take back what's theirs.

Who's down?

PEace

Solarus

abysinian

Mon Dec-18-00 05:42 PM

27. "Clean Up!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

>suggestions for our next "event".

I haven't been webbing here for long so I really don't know about what kind of events OKP.. has been apart of. But I do have a thought and a sketchy plan.

I quickly glanced at the other suggestions and I don't know if mine fits, but here it goes...

My plan is to start a massive clean up of our neighborhoods, inner city communities. Sweep our corners, paint the borded houses, plant some trees, mow the lawns.... all and all make our neighborhoods conducive to living. Not only this but get the brothers standing by the cornerstore and handling their business be apart of it.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm all for getting drugs out of our communities but for now I'll settle for the view of flowers instead of broken glass and keeping one or two of our brothers out of prison. My thing is if you have a broom or a paint brush in your hands while conducting business on the street, you're less likely to be conspicuous and less likely to be harassed. And like the saying goes, 'idle time is the devil's work' so why not use it to better your home, our home?

This wouldn't is this would require much, just willing participants......I'm rushing a bit so I don't know if this makes sense, hit me back and let me know what you think.

Peace

Ailyha
Charter member
826 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 06:43 PM

28. "OkayUmoja"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been thinking about something Koala said the other day on the "...to be black" post, cuz the brotha is real deep in a metaphorical sense...but anyway, why don't we as an OkayCommunity start OkayUmoja and start up another Black aesthetics/Black empowerment movement, b/c I think Black folks are really lacking that sense of community which is why we can't get alot accomplished in our communities...with that umoja, or unity, we can do so many things, like set up a clean-up, or creat a community center, or tutor a child, or get out to vote...
I was just brainstorming, but just ask me questions and i think my idea could blossom into something great.
Also, how about an OkayCollegeChallenge and get our your Black students to recognize their power and challenge them to get out and create some "umoja" and get some things done. We're kind of getting on our feet here at the Univ. of Sou. Miss., but we about to do some things next semester.
Later
Ail

"Everybody's got issues, every-stinkin'-body"

"Boy, you look like steamy hot chocolate poured out on a milky sunrise- Unknown female "Mack"

"I don't know why I love you so much, I don't know...(sound of distress)..." some Stevie Wonder-ish

My Blog. Swing Phi Swing
http://swingbigphi.blogspot.com

My Mommy Blog. The Bourgie Baby
http://bourgiebaby.blogspot.com

"I bitch! Yooouuu Mooooaaaan....So I try another tactic..." --Jill Scott

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 07:55 AM

34. "This is Activism!"
In response to Reply # 28

>start up another Black aesthetics/Black
>empowerment movement, b/c I think
>Black folks are really lacking
>that sense of community which
>is why we can't get
>alot accomplished in our communities...

True.

>or creat a community center,
>or tutor a child, or

Tight. Where? In what city (cities)?

I'm in DC right now.

Peace

Solarus

"To be perfect is to lack nothing essential to the whole therefore I AM."-
Solarus

Ailyha
Charter member
826 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 06:06 PM

49. "SOLARUS!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 34

emAIL me at
melohello@hotmail.com

peace
ail

"Everybody's got issues, every-stinkin'-body"

"Boy, you look like steamy hot chocolate poured out on a milky sunrise- Unknown female "Mack"

"I don't know why I love you so much, I don't know...(sound of distress)..." some Stevie Wonder-ish

My Blog. Swing Phi Swing
http://swingbigphi.blogspot.com

My Mommy Blog. The Bourgie Baby
http://bourgiebaby.blogspot.com

"I bitch! Yooouuu Mooooaaaan....So I try another tactic..." --Jill Scott

Zesi
Charter member
24062 posts
Mon Dec-18-00 11:38 PM

29. "I think it would be hard"
In response to Reply # 0

To start a good amount of possible projects because of the distance we all have from one another (i.e. a school). I like the idea of the e-mail campaign.

We could raise money for projects through the website. Have people charge it to their credit cards. It would be especially nice if we could get the artists to do something. But I don't (and most of us don't) really know them, so that might be hard. but still, it's an idea.

Yabbadabbadoozilla! (c) Bootzilla
http://www.funkknots.com
http://www.boondocks.net
http://www.cartoonista.com
http://www.pocho.com

"You might as well pay attention/ you can't afford free speech" -George Clinton

"People need to stop saying that there is one way to be--and then the issue will disappear." Ntozake Shange-interview in _Mother_ _Jones_

wbgirl
Charter member
5929 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 05:30 AM

30. "mmmkay..."
In response to Reply # 0

i don't have any ideas yet...

when's the actual inauguration (sp?) date? is it close to mlk day?

i'll be back, maybe..

~~wbg~~
AIM: wbgirl218
Chicago 2001...will u be ready?
activists send messages here:
chicagoactivist@africana.com
everyone click here:
and here:
http://www.breastcancer3day.org
and remember what kristy says:
"Faux. Good for fur. Bad for friends."

so what if my b-day has come and gone? december is *still* wish list month! on my list:

--a gray long-sleeved okp shirt
--leather boots
--bags of nestle caramel treasures
--a trip to england
--a shopping spree @ vicky's

~~wbg~~
"I pray sometimes to keep my head together,
because you can use prayer however you want.
There are no rules one way or the other."
--Jami Attenberg

http://helpcde.blogspot.com
http://queeneulalia.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/queeneulalia

nappyhead earth

Thu Dec-21-00 11:56 AM

58. "RE: mmmkay..."
In response to Reply # 30

January 20th (if you are talkin' about the Pres. Inaug.).
peace
nappyhead

"tell me what you gon' do to get free? WE NEED MORE THAN EMCEES, WE NEED HUEYS AND REVOLUTIONARIES..." M1, deadprez

"...with the painstaking presicion of taggin'
with a Magnum on thread
I sowed my own Parable..."

yinka

Tue Dec-19-00 05:37 AM

31. "RE: put up or shutup (redux)"
In response to Reply # 0

sounds like a good thing to try to make happen. particularly the email campaign for the distance reasons already mentioned. that or (considering how many non-okays actually have access to the internet) people could make things happen geographically and report back.

the question i have is how to get people with so many political views, who seem to want so many different outcomes to come together for a single program. there would have to be some kind of unifying motto that either encompasses them all or negates a few. both very difficult, but not impossible.

this is not meant to be discouraging at all. i just wanted to alert people to a problem that always seems to arise.

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 07:32 AM

32. "How I see it"
In response to Reply # 31

we aren't asking anyone to endorse of agree to any political party or person. We want to change THE WAY we elect the president.

With this current election, the person who won the popular vote didn't win the election, because of the outdated electoral college. This is fertile ground because a majority of the country DIDN'T get their president because of this structure. All we have to do is start the ball rolling.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

yinka

Tue Dec-19-00 08:08 AM

35. "prime example"
In response to Reply # 32

>we aren't asking anyone to endorse
>of agree to any political
>party or person. We
>want to change THE WAY
>we elect the president.

there were quite a few suggestions mentioned. how did we settle on dealing with the way the president of the united states is elected? you might need to come to a consensus on that.

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 08:20 AM

37. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 35

but since you addressed my idea, I answered the post.

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 09:06 AM

38. "i'm down"
In response to Reply # 0

my brain ain't workign too well right now on thinking of activist thangs to do but i do want to say that it's okay to start small or to do little tings. for instance in the places where it is coooooold and snowing ridiculously something could be organized to check on the elderly or to go to downtown areas and give the homeless a blanket, cup of cocoa or something. no it ain't nothing grand but it is something that is needed. here in chicago this weather ain't nuthin nice. i will give this thought this week and come up with ideas. also for the folks that are coming to the reunion this is the type of thang we will be doing at the round table.
--------sig-----------
If U WANNA ACTIVATE, contact ChicagoActivist
Email us: chicagoactivist@africana.com
Check out the website:
http://chicagoactivist.cjb.net/
Call us: 1-312-777-4001 ext 4409
NEXT MEETING TBA
---------------------
Monthly Book Discussion in OkayActivist
December continue discussing "Coldest Winter Ever" and add "No Disrespect" to the discussion both by Sister Souljah
January 15, 2001
"Boondocks: Because I Know You Don't Read the Newspaper"--Aaron McGruder
February 12, 2001
"Kindred"-Octavia Butler
GET YO READ ON .........
nappiness is next to Godliness!!!!!!
Ms. Nappiness
----------
http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/begin.html

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon
Aqua Beats and Moon Verses: Volume I
http://www.spokenexistence.com/aqua_moon.html

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 10:47 AM

44. "EMPOWERMENT EMPOWERMENT EMPOWERMENT"
In response to Reply # 0

Any true movement in this nation will alway's involve capital..

So my first suggestion is that we email people a listing of local Afrikan Owned Business, maybe even stamp them as Player Facilities. Then support them with our dollars, and maybe they can help sponsor some of the mentoring and tutorial campains that are created within this site...

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 11:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
46. "documentation"
In response to Reply # 0

I just want to document old folks at family reunions. I have a camera, and I'm getting a cable modem and a computer soon. I would like to get my family on tape, for the sake of my future children, but to also understand the time that they came up in. I would really like to see that become more common among our folks. This is the first time in history where we the average person can do this.

one
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

wbgirl
Charter member
5929 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 01:09 PM

47. "go here..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/1665.html

sounds easy enough, right? everybody send a book or two, right?

just sayin'.

~~wbg~~
everyone click here:
and here:

so what if my b-day has come and gone? december is *still* wish list month! on my list:

--leather boots
--a trip to england

~~wbg~~
--Jami Attenberg

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Tue Dec-19-00 04:40 PM

48. "i like this best so far..."
In response to Reply # 47

Wendell
Charter member
8207 posts
Wed Dec-20-00 06:24 AM

50. "I'm Down"

Peace

Wendell

Peace

Wendell

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Dec-20-00 07:35 AM

51. "Me too n/m"

Peace.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -- Oscar Wilde

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

wbgirl
Charter member
5929 posts
Wed Dec-20-00 07:40 AM

52. "here's what i'll do..."

i already e-mailed poetesscrystal for her mailing address. once i get it, i'll email everyone who's interested and y'all can send books.

or you can e-me at waterbuffalogirl@yahoo.com if you don't feel like posting and say that you wanna help out too.

so far i have:

nappiness
boodaah
wendell
janey

if i'm missing names, post here (or start a new post with "library signup" or something in the title...i don't care) or e-mail me and i'll add you to the list.

just sayin'.

~~wbg~~
everyone click here:
and here:

--leather boots
--a trip to england

~~wbg~~
--Jami Attenberg

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Dec-20-00 10:06 AM

54. "Also"
In response to Reply # 52

I mentioned this to poetesscrystal in my email to her, but either she or we should post the titles that we're sending so that we don't duplicate too much. Multiple copies are good but we don't want her to end up with 100 copies of Invisible Man and no copies of Assata, right? Or vice versa.

Peace.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -- Oscar Wilde

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

wbgirl
Charter member
5929 posts
Wed Dec-20-00 11:57 AM

55. "good point...n/m"
In response to Reply # 54

~~wbg~~
everyone click here:
and here:

--leather boots
--a trip to england

~~wbg~~
--Jami Attenberg

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Thu Dec-21-00 06:09 AM

56. "up"
In response to Reply # 0

let's keep the discussion(s) going.

we have some good ideas so far, if no one has any further ideas -- let's pick one and whomever suggested it can get the ball rolling.

nappyhead earth

Thu Dec-21-00 12:20 PM

59. "RE: put up or shutup (redux)"
In response to Reply # 0

okay, peace

The ideas about community clean-ups are peace, and the library idea is even better (cuz then we can all contribute no matter where we live, what our political affiliation, and we won't have to generate tons of $$$). One idea I wanted to add to it, would be to start some sort of OkayVolunteer corp. All it takes to form one is a handful of people (really not even that, cuz you could still represent solo). Nothing super-technical,just a service-based group, and we can volunteer at Youth Centers and elderly homes, empoverished communities to do whatever we can. It can be like a network where the players in their respective cities meet at appointed times to set up what we/they will do, when, and where. It doesn't have to be limited to children and the elderly, I mean, we could participate in building homes with Habitat (for Humanity--not sure if it's a national org or not--do yall have HFHumanity in your cities?), or just taking some neighborhood kids to the museum (they're free), or start a small mentoring program. There's lots of stuff we can all do that doesn't have to be expensive, or political, or infringe on the any member of the collective's personal rights/beliefs. The volunteer corp will take organization (for each city/area), but the library *which is a real peace idea* is something that can be done NOW. I like that one too. ps...I also like the idea posted earlier about some sort of unifying motto--something that unites us all no matter what we represent. How about:

okayplayer. bringing you the true_______since 2000.

Hey, it was a joke.
peace
nappyhead

"tell me what you gon' do to get free? WE NEED MORE THAN EMCEES, WE NEED HUEYS AND REVOLUTIONARIES..." M1

sthngrl

Thu Dec-21-00 02:19 PM

60. " TUPAC CONFERENCE"
In response to Reply # 59

Power to the People,

Peace to okayplayers looking to act. april 2-5, 2000 will be the first Tupac Conference on Prairie View A&M's campus(TX). conference coincides with the NATIONWIDE WALK OUT 4/4/2000 organized by NCOBRA (www.ncobra.com); purpose of the walkout is to get masses of people to movetalkorganize for receipt of Reparations. also to make a selfdetermination statement. NCOBRA is grassroots (VERY grassroots) we put community first, hence the walkout. for the conference we need ENTERTAINERS that can move students. anybody down for a southernfried Reparations conference, has contacts,wants to help,or for more info please e me: cjane8@hotmail.com.
HOTEP

"...You get your freedom by letting your enemy know that you'll do anything to get your freedom; then you'll get it. It's the only way you'll get it."
-Malcolm X

yinka

Fri Dec-22-00 06:33 AM

61. "new thread"

this thread is getting a little crowded. could you please start another with the sister's (library donations) mailing address and a list of book people are donating? i know that's already been brought up, and i'd do it myslef if i had the info. but since somebody already does let's get started.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Dec-22-00 07:28 AM

62. "well"
In response to Reply # 61

Let's let poetesscrystal post the mailing address if she feels comfortable doing so, otherwise, let's go her preferred route of giving it out via email. I'll push up her original post.

Peace.

And so happy Christmas
And happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear.
War is over
If you want it.
War is over
Now.
-- John Lennon/Yoko Ono

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

yinka

Fri Dec-22-00 11:41 AM

63. "RE: well"
In response to Reply # 62

i'm usually pretty guarded about my email address, so if i don't have to go that route i would prefer not to. i may not be the only person with that concern. i'm assuming that the community center has a public address. i wouldn't want to violate anyone's privacy, so i'd understand if that's the issue.

since there are already people who have decided to send books, perhaps yall can post your titles. i haven't chosen the ones i want to contribute yet, but i'm going to a booksale tonight. i should know by the time i get the address.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Dec-22-00 12:22 PM

64. "try this, then"
In response to Reply # 63

I know what you mean about email address privacy, but you can sent poetesscrystal an email through okayplayer channels and she can send you the address that way, too, without ever knowing your email address.

Peace.

And so happy Christmas
And happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear.
War is over
If you want it.
War is over
Now.
-- John Lennon/Yoko Ono

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

abysinian

Fri Dec-22-00 12:51 PM

65. "OkayVolunteer Corp."

I'm loving this idea. If achievable, I think this could be a gateway to a wave of actions, including most of the ones already suggested.

Peace.

Wise_7

Thu Jan-18-01 10:39 AM

74. "Wonderful idea"

I live in NYC,...... so I'll be getting with something.
We need to have a list of players in each city, so that we can effectively perform in an organized manner.

"suck my long middle finger with an exlax "-me

Wise_7

Thu Jan-18-01 10:43 AM

75. "Things that don't cost much $$"
In response to Reply # 74

For real,....... things like menoring children, and volunteering is more immediate and economically feasible.
I know that KRS-One said "without dinero, you're zero",.... damn, do we have to have lofty bank accounts to do things?

"suck my long middle finger with an exlax "-me

nappyhead earth

Wed Dec-27-00 02:00 PM

66. "SO WHAT HAVE WE DECIDED TO DO???? 12/27/00"
In response to Reply # 0

"with the painstaking presicion of taggin'
with a Magnum on thread

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Dec-27-00 02:03 PM

67. "well"
In response to Reply # 66

I sent some books.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

nappyhead earth

Thu Dec-28-00 06:33 PM

68. "RE: well"
In response to Reply # 67

So is this an Okaycollective or just individual stuff?

with a Magnum on thread

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Dec-29-00 05:42 AM

69. "Hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 68

As with all great social movements, it begins as individual actions and grows into a collective revolution. Don't wait to join others -- let others join you.

Peace.

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true;
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.
-- Wm. Butler Yeats

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

nappyhead earth

Sat Dec-30-00 07:04 AM

70. "True Indeed..."
In response to Reply # 69

with a Magnum on thread

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Tue Jan-02-01 09:45 AM

71. "one last push"
In response to Reply # 0

don't wait on anybody..

go 'head witcha bad self

shepoet
Charter member
81 posts
Thu Jan-18-01 09:49 AM

73. "D.C."
In response to Reply # 71

is in the planning process.

The recent benefit that Daka Maneno held proved that OKPs were willing to pitch in. I had some who came and gave support.

Expect to see both charitable and activists efforts.

peace

native2001

Wed Jan-17-01 12:04 PM

72. "Dallas Okayplayers..."
In response to Reply # 0

What's up yall? I know I've been kinda quiet here recently but I'm back and of course I'm begging. I've started a mentoring program at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center and we are in need of mentors for children ages 12-17. Get at me if you guys are interested. Next round starts pretty soon!

MahoganyB

Live a good, honorable life. Then, when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
-Dali Lama

http://nativemagazine.com
Are you a native?
I am.

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #19501 Previous topic | Next topic