Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #18599

Subject: "For Milk" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 10:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"For Milk"

The argument that drinking milk is against the natural order of things is irrelevant and asinine. To begin with, the human body produces lactase, whose only function is to break down the milk sugar lactose. Why would many adults continue to produce lactose if drinking milk were ''un-natural''. Furthermore, no humans produce the enzyme alpha-galactosidase which is necessary to break down certain carbohydrates in beans, yet no one claims that eating beans is ''against the natural order of things.'' Obviously, we were ''meant'' to drink milk or we wouldn't produce lactose.

Calves, like human infants, live exclusively on their mother's milk until their stomachs are mature enough to handle food. Cows, unlike humans, are herbivores. Once mature, a cow's digestive system allows her to get all the nutrients she needs (including calcium, phosphorus and protein) from grass and grains. The adult human digestive system is unable to do this well. Cereal grains became part of our diets with the introduction of agriculture, only about 10,000 years ago. That hasn't been enough time to effect the kinds of changes in our genes a diet containing only plant foods would require.

Some people believe that drinking milk is unnatural since almost no other animal consumes the milk of another species. If we were to apply that same logic to everything that humans do that other animals don't, we would find that there are very few things we could call ''natural''. We grow our own food, wear clothes, speak a variety of languages... the list is endless. The fact is that in much the same way we plant and harvest crops to survive, we drink milk for the unique and exceptional nutritional advantages it offers.

Milk-drinking, especially in north-western Europe and the deserts and semi-deserts of Africa and Asia, has a long, long history. Humans have raised ruminants for meat and milk products for thousands of years before recorded time. Dairy cows have not always been the main source of milk. The kind of animal raised depends on climate and terrain. In India and Pakistan, milk is more likely to be from water buffaloes, in arid zones, camels are preferred in mountainous areas, the milk suppliers are often sheep or goats, in very northern climates, elk and reindeer are the milk providers. People depend on milk as an important source of nutrition all over the world. Since the domestication of animals 10,000 years ago, they nearly always have, and chances are, they always will.

It is not a misconception that milk is a rich source of calcium and minerals - that is scientific fact. As for the protein, milk is a moderate source of this nutrient in the proper ratio to calcium to ensure propre absorption. It's true that milk contains negligible amounts of iron - no single food contains every nutrient. But many fruits and vegetables (e.g., mangos, lettuce, cucumber, apricots, grapes, and potatoes) are similarly poor sources of iron - does that mean we should not eat those foods either? Dairy calcium does NOT impede iron absorption. Ms. Ghandi shows her lack of nutrition knowledge with her statement that vegetables are the best source of iron, in fact, most vegetables are a poor source because of low bio-availability. Meat is by far the best dietary source of iron. Ms. Ghandi's ignorance is further displayed by her contention that a bowl of spinach is equivalent to 50 gallons of milk. The iron in spinach is almost completely non-available because of its content of oxalic acid.

The calcium absorption figures for cabbage and cauliflower are grossly exaggerated, and even then their absolute content of calcium is so low as to be irrelevant.

It is inappropriate to claim that ''Asians and Africans'' are lactose intolerant'' - to cite but one example, the Masai of Africa practically exist on milk. Moreover, ''Asian'' is not a race, and the majority of Indians are certainly not lactose intolerant. In many tribal societies in Africa, people are dependent on dairy cows for both food and income. Obviously, they and their neighbours are not lactose intolerant.

Leading exerts agree that milk is in no way related to constipation, asthma or acne. As for kidney stones, it is in fact high oxalate foods like spinach, okra and eggplant that render a person more susceptible to kidney stone formation. The majority of experts recommend MORE dairy calcium to reduce the risk of kidney stones. And again, leading osteoporosis experts agree that milk is absolutely helpful in reducing risk of osteoporosis, not only because of the calcium, but also because of its moderate protein content as well as magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin A.

In a country where high-quality protein is hard to come by, milk is extremely important. And in a vegetarian diet, the vitamin B12, calcium and zinc provided by milk is invaluable.

Finally, the statement that drinking milk ''weakens the body and makes it prone to asthma and cancer'' is ludicrous. As stated previously, milk has no connection to asthma (pollution is something the government might look into), and there is very strong evidence that dairy calcium reduces the risk of colon cancer and whole milk reduces a woman's risk of breast cancer.

Milk is one of the most nutrient-dense foods available to humans who are smart enough to consume it. For someone with no nutrition training to try and dissuade people from using it in order to promote their own ideological agenda is completely irresponsible.

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Against Milk
Feb 20th 2001
RE: Against Milk
Feb 20th 2001
RE: For Milk
utamaroho
Feb 20th 2001
why not
Feb 20th 2001
      good call
Feb 20th 2001
      RE: why not
utamaroho
Feb 20th 2001
      so then...
Feb 20th 2001
      nebt_hebt
utamaroho
Feb 20th 2001
           this is wild
Feb 20th 2001
                no disrespect but
utamaroho
Feb 20th 2001
                     son, you reading but you ain't hearing me
Feb 20th 2001
                          Simply put...
Feb 21st 2001
                               Thankyou
Feb 21st 2001
                               RE: Simply put...
Feb 21st 2001
      I see your point but
Feb 21st 2001
      yup yup n/m
Feb 21st 2001
I feel like this
Feb 20th 2001
Walking the Path.
Feb 20th 2001
More Clarity
Feb 20th 2001
RE: Walking the Path.
Mobsters Daughter
Feb 20th 2001
RE: For Milk
Feb 20th 2001
You do more crying...
Feb 20th 2001
      RE: You do more crying...
utamaroho
Feb 20th 2001
Feb 20th 2001
Feb 20th 2001
utamaroho
Feb 20th 2001
I posted this
Feb 20th 2001
interesting...
Feb 20th 2001
RE: I posted this
Feb 21st 2001
unfortunately
audiovisuals
Feb 21st 2001
*stomach turning*
Feb 21st 2001
It's not mucus
Feb 21st 2001

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 11:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Against Milk"
In response to Reply # 0

The medical profession and the media encourage the public to drink milk and eat dairy products because 'it does the body good'. Nothing could be further from the truth. Dr. Colin Campbell, Ph.D., professor of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, is the Director of the China-Oxford Cornell Study, the largest study of diet and disease in medical history. His findings: High animal calcium and animal protein intake is the primary cause of degenerative disease.

In February, 1995, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) lodged a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, stating that ads for milk and milk products are deceptive in that they imply that calcium in milk is the answer to the bone loss caused by osteoporosis. PCRM holds that, while calcium intake is important during early childhood and does influence bone mass, there are alternative sources, besides animal products, such as fruits, vegetables and grains to achieve our necessary calcium requirements.

According to the research conducted by PCRM, milk consumption later in life actually contributes to calcium loss. Research has demonstrated that people in countries with a lower animal calcium intake (less than 500mgs/day) have a significantly lower bone fracture rate when compared to countries with the highest intake of animal products, such as the USA (more than 1,200mgs/day). PCRM urges women to control calcium loss in adulthood by exercising, reducing meat intake, reducing sodium intake and limiting caffeine and tobacco use. Dr. Neal Bamard, M.D., president of PCRM, states that 'dairy ads give women a dangerously false sense of security'.

http://www.milksucks.com/index2.html

k. orr

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 12:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "RE: Against Milk"
In response to Reply # 1

Peace,

I have noticed that as a child, I consumed milk with no problems but as I got older(19-20), I began to notice a change in my reaction to mil . My mother beared witness to having gone through the same thing and so had my husband. I think we were created with all of these things in mind and if we pay attention to our bodies more, we can nip other health problems in the bud.
I think it is best to take the "middle road", don't be so far off to the right( milk is the ONLY way):7 and don't be too far off to the left(milk is EVIL)}>. It is obvious that these Beasts of Burden were placed on this earth to be of help to man. Discriminate if the harm of it outweighs the benefit i.e. allergy, mad cow disease,yucky drugs and hormones,et .

Peace

verses(ayats) from the chapter(surah) "the Bee"(An-Nahl)of the Holy Qur'an

5. And cattle He has created for you (human): from them ye derive warmth, and numerous benefits, and of their (meat) ye eat.-The Bee(An-Nahl),Qur'an

66. And verily in cattle (too) will ye find an instructive sign. From what is within their bodies between excretions and blood, We produce, for your drink, milk, pure and agreeable to those who drink it.-The Bee(An-Nahl),Qu'ran

utamaroho

Tue Feb-20-01 11:04 AM

2. "RE: For Milk"
In response to Reply # 0

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

"STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK,STAY BLACK" -Mos Def

hahahahaha this was funny, put it in general and the other boards. this article was justr hilarious thanks, i'm beaming over here. you know it's always cool to come here on a rainy day and find such humor...again thanks

>>As stated previously, milk has no connection to asthma (pollution is something the government might look into), and there is very strong evidence that dairy calcium reduces the risk of colon cancer and whole milk reduces a woman's risk of breast cancer.

oh my god, my stomach is bursting hahahahahaaha HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nuwb or "blackness" is supreme balance before the chaos was introduced. It was a state of sound, right reasoning. That darkness was triple darkness, which is what you would call the absence of consciousness, or the state of being awoke. In actuality, the dream state is more real and peaceful than the chaos you meet once you are awake. A form of spiritual darkness responsible for the spark that turned on the light that is the life and intellect of all who breathe and think.
When the light is turned on again, the chaos begins. The differentiation begins. The separation begins. The rights and the wrongs, the goodness and the badness; the supreme balance is broken and the ego begins to verse the "I."

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 12:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "why not"
In response to Reply # 2

argue/discuss/debate with facts as opposed to sarcasm/rants?

if you have conflicting points bring 'em

thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "good call"
In response to Reply # 15

If we spent more time discussing and less time mocking/dropping rather poorly crafted sarcastic responses, we'd achieve a lot more.

-thebigfunk

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

utamaroho

Tue Feb-20-01 12:38 PM

17. "RE: why not"

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

>>why not" argue/discuss/debate with facts as opposed to sarcasm/rants?

it's a waste of time. period. like we've always been saying, trying to express afrikan thought to a westerner is impossible, their "cups aern't empty to receiive", plus, the only way to truly show how i think or how i live or how i perceive the discussion would require DOING/EXPERIENCE, something that'll never be done. trust me on this one.

argument/discussion/debate are gross western concepts. compared to what ptah hotep said about speech...these westerners with their empty words and equally empty actions and viewpoints are pitiful. a waste of words. that's why i laugh. like kewli said "if i dropped afrikan thought, you'd probably lie and say it's greek philosophy" if i come at you with how i think about the subject it'll be so far from understanding(application of mere knowledge) that anyone who isn't "experiencing" it will never get it. solarus could tell asthma sufferers all day about his experience but they'll argue/debate/discuss but never "DO" to see if what he's saying is right. typical western arguments involve words not actions. i can tell you back when he wasn't a vegan and when he gave the same sorry excuses as others might "to each his own" and "i'm not ready" etc. but real activism requires activism, not rhetoric. this subject is on the same level as discussing/debating/arguing the merits of a vegan diet over a carnivorous one. pointless. to those that don't DO, argument is needed. to those that DO what they know, their actions speak.

to ask someone who validates by reality/action to explain something is a hard thing, ESPECIALLY when you meet a western mind that has a barrage of defenses to limit itself and protect it's incomplete frail ego. there's a difference between knowing the path and walking it. western science has spent its existence trying to explain and reduce nature to something it can explain/manipulate/deal with...but look at it's actions. americans have this great well of knowledge on nutrition but look at them...they're the people with the worst preventable health on the planet. their way of knowing doesn't work for themselves...to ask them to understand what i would drop?!? a waste of words. ptah hotep said it thousands of years ago "experience is the high qualification"

(((((PEACE)))))

Nuwb or "blackness" is supreme balance before the chaos was introduced. It was a state of sound, right reasoning. That darkness was triple darkness, which is what you would call the absence of consciousness, or the state of being awoke. In actuality, the dream state is more real and peaceful than the chaos you meet once you are awake. A form of spiritual darkness responsible for the spark that turned on the light that is the life and intellect of all who breathe and think.
When the light is turned on again, the chaos begins. The differentiation begins. The separation begins. The rights and the wrongs, the goodness and the badness; the supreme balance is broken and the ego begins to verse the "I."

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 12:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "so then..."
In response to Reply # 17

why post to a "discussion board" at all?

btw - who had that sig first you or nebt_hebt?

utamaroho

Tue Feb-20-01 01:01 PM

19. "nebt_hebt"
In response to Reply # 18

nebt_hebt did...

why post at all? still trying to figure that out myself. considering the people i reach who get back to me, feeling what i type, i remember back whe i was looking for like minds or resources and found certain people, crawford, cokely, khallid, all people i've met personally...and i guess i have to continue the cycle. time is cirular to me so i have to assume responsibility. when someone steps up with pitiful childish speech, they eiher get laughed at or dealt woth accordingly. that's all there is to it.

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 03:50 PM

20. "this is wild"
In response to Reply # 19

so when comfronted with a difference in opinion you simply laugh and say nothing????

there is validity in the arugument yet you tend to ignore it and make sarcastic remarks.. come on son, we can do better than that.. we are adults here and the bourds are supposed to be a place were thought are shared not a place where we all agree on the same prinicles and sing old negroe spirituals. it's slightly less than a copout...

In truth the vegan argument for not eating meat is mostly Western based... (Afrikan have harvested and hunted for centuries...) Plus the most common supplement for meat, soy based products like tofu, are not only unnatural, but were genetically mutated foods. If you can come with some supporting info that supports your opinion then share it...

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

utamaroho

Tue Feb-20-01 04:18 PM

22. "no disrespect but"
In response to Reply # 20

most of the time when i exhibit sarcasm it's after realizing that a discussion on the subject is a waste to me and i try to be creative and funny, which i do. if this seems like a copout, so be it. the western origins of a vegan diet argument could very well be the case for some people. my reasons, though, are not. this is why i can't enter the discussion like i want to. i can wax eloquently (care of morehouse) on the western arguments for being a vegan but they are only the words of children compared to what i'd say to an afrikan thinking person who'd understand why i'm vegan. this has nothing to do with the preconceived notions of what is afrikan. what most people study about afrikan thought, i live, so an academic approach to showing the eating habits of continental afrikans of modern times or even the past is irrelevant. more likely than not i can't have a conversation with a western thinking person in their arena about a wholistic way of living without wasting a lot of time in an academic arena that is a) undeveloped to me and B) foreign to them, most times talking about veganism even withing the western context, people don't know what they're even talking about. they don't even know their OWN information let alone trying to even attempt to see mine. if i were to ask basic questions just concerning data, people would run away realizing they really don't KNOW anything, they just think/regurgitate/read/re-enact someone else's info. this is the difference between thinking(the basis of western philosphy) and doing( actualization of knowledge) we won't even delve into understanding...

(((((PEACE)))))

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 04:43 PM

23. "son, you reading but you ain't hearing me"
In response to Reply # 22

I'am not trying to debate you. I'am really interested in learning why you feel being a vegan is neccessary. Please enlighten me with either emails, links or other resources that would explain your philosophy. I have not come with anything conclusive in supporting such a position, while I do not eat pork or beaf, I still eat chicken and a lot of fish.

peace...

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 08:52 AM

25. "Simply put..."
In response to Reply # 23

Hotep

1. Eating Meat is not necessary for optimal health therefore any "benefits" of it are SECONDARY.

2. Eating Meat has many disadvantages and harmful effects on the mind, body and spirit.

Considering both of these reasons, I deem it necessary to exclude them from SELF.

PEace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 11:04 AM

31. "Thankyou"
In response to Reply # 25

Peace...

Mattias
Member since Feb 17th 2004
4 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 11:23 AM

32. "RE: Simply put..."
In response to Reply # 25

Yes yes, and if you don't mind let me expand this a little...

>1. Eating Meat is not necessary
>for optimal health therefore any
>"benefits" of it are SECONDARY.

A common objection to vegetarian diets is that it is impossible to maintain a nutritionally adequate diet based on plants. This is to be considered a myth. Regarding proteins, it has been established for all ages that plant proteins can completely provide for human amino acid needs. With a properly planned diet, maintaining a sufficient iron intake should not be a problem even for vegans. Calcium is a little more difficult, but it's not impossible and you certainly don't need meat to obtain enough of it. The only micronutrient not provided in a strict vegan diet appears to be vitamin B12, and therefore vegans must often obtain it from fortified foods or supplements. But again, you don't need meat to get enough vit B12 as long as you drink milk for example. (Or don't bother about washing your hands after going to the bathroom, for that matter... Many people probably obtain enough B12 from fecal contamination of their foods.) On the contrary to common beliefs, it appears to be harder to maintain a nutrionally adequate diet based on meats and animal foods than on plants. Vegetarians often consume a greater variety of foods than meat-eaters, and consequently, the intakes of several nutrients, e.g. thiamin, folate, vit C, vit E, and carotene, are higher among vegetarians than in the general poulation.

>2. Eating Meat has many disadvantages
>and harmful effects on the
>mind, body and spirit.

There are clear medical evidence linking meat consumption to several forms of cancer, notably colon, breast and prostate cancer but also uterus cancer, kidney cancer and possibly lung and pancreas cancer. Particularly red and processed meats seem to increase cancer risk, whereas there's no such association for poultry and fish. (Actually, there are many health benefits associated with a high intake of fish and shellfish, and there appears to be no medical reason to exclude fish from the diet.) There's really nothing controversial about this, since almost all medical papers show the same results. The association between meat consumption and cancer is usually attributed to the formation of certain chemical substances, heterocyclic amines, in meat when it is cooked. Heterocyclic amines are carcinogenic in many organs. Meat is also known to alter nitrogen metabolism and enhance the production of possible carcinogens within the colon, such as NOS and ammonia. A high-meat diet is also associated with a lower intake of fermentable carbohydrates, which leads to a decreased fecal bulk and an increased transit time resulting in more opportunity for these carcinogenic compounds to interact with the intestinal mucosa.

That's my two cents... Or actually their not entirely mine since these are all well-established medical facts... Well, you know what I mean... Bye.

----------------
-You know what Alzheimers is?
-Some kind of beer?

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 09:14 AM

27. "I see your point but"
In response to Reply # 17

>this subject
>is on the same level
>as discussing/debating/arguing the merits of
>a vegan diet over a
>carnivorous one. pointless. to those
>that don't DO, argument is
>needed. to those that DO
>what they know, their actions
>speak.

everyone's body is different, and what Solarus needed to do to improve his health may not work in the same way for everyone. I think I know where you're coming from, but if you have knowledge u think could change/save lives, why hold that back just because you don't agree with the way they speak/argue/exchange ideas?

being selfish with knowledge is not an admirable thing.

and why is your tone so condescending? you don't know everyone who posts here (correct me if I'm wrong) and you don't know what they read here that they take away with them or what they might share with others who might actually act on your words.

so maybe you should enlighten us all, hmm? how are you going to get the world you want if you never tell anyone what it's like?

think about it.

L.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KizzMyBlakAzz: you've made yourself a shell
KizzMyBlakAzz: i know you're soft and gooey on the inside
LHoney17: I know I am....never said I wasn't
LHoney17: but that doesn't mean I get stepped on or that I'm not strong
KizzMyBlakAzz: Gooey
LHoney17: lol
KizzMyBlakAzz: Caramel
KizzMyBlakAzz: Center
LHoney17: lol....well that's a nice way to think of it
KizzMyBlakAzz: with like a hard choclate shell
LHoney17: think I'll put that in a personal ad
KizzMyBlakAzz: You're a Rollo
LHoney17: lmao
KizzMyBlakAzz: lmao

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers
and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS. ~~Mahatma Gandhi

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 09:08 AM

26. "yup yup n/m"

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers
and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS. ~~Mahatma Gandhi

~~~~

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 11:26 AM

3. "I feel like this"
In response to Reply # 0

if it bothers u don't drink it.

if it doesn't, don't stress it.

period.

L.

~~~~

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 11:34 AM

4. "Walking the Path."
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

Experience is the best policy. Milk doesn't cause asthma. that is a misleading statement and to argue against it is ridiculous.

Milk causes a build up of MUCOUS which in turn aggravates the lungs causing asthmatic complications (if the person already has asthma). I speak from experience. Since I quit using dairy, the level of asthmatic complications I experience has significantly reduced. I still may experience complications if due to a combination of these factors: exercising regularly, drinking enough water and when it gets cold. Cold air aggravates the lungs also.

Peace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 12:05 PM

13. "More Clarity"
In response to Reply # 4

Hotep

>I still may
>experience complications if due to
>a combination of these factors:
>exercising regularly, drinking enough water
>and when it gets cold.
> Cold air aggravates the
>lungs also.
>

This should be "NOT exercising regularly and NOT drinking enough water." Apologies for any misunderstandings.

PEace
Solarus

Mobsters Daughter

Tue Feb-20-01 04:00 PM

21. "RE: Walking the Path."
In response to Reply # 4

<<Milk causes a build up of MUCOUS which in turn aggravates the lungs causing asthmatic complications (if the person already has asthma). I speak from experience. Since I quit using dairy, the level of asthmatic complications I experience has significantly reduced. I still may experience complications if due to a combination of these factors: exercising regularly, drinking enough water and when it gets cold. Cold air aggravates the lungs also.>>

I drink a lot of 2% milk. Sometimes a 1/2 gallon in a 24 hour period. I surfer from really bad allergies. I switched to organic 2% milk without added "stuff" and my allergies have dropped about 80% since the switch. When I am having my bad days I will not drink milk and switch to green tea or water that has been boiled with ginger root to aid in my coughing attacks.
I am a strict lacto-ovo vegetarian, work out daily and I drink a lot of water. I eat organic about 95% of the time. I watch what I eat and I think people need to do that more in this day and age. Look at all the food scares going around in the last 10 years. It is only going to get worse.

I do _not_ want to sound preachy at all. I hope I did not come of that way. I am talking about my personal experience.
-K

mcbadfeet
Charter member
1066 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 11:37 AM

5. "RE: For Milk"
In response to Reply # 0

man yall all just cryin over.....awwww fuck it. just shut up about the damn milk. what? like .0000000324% of the U.S. population are living milk free. so if your not...whats the point of posting about how bad it is....give it up.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 11:40 AM

6. "You do more crying..."
In response to Reply # 5

than anyone on these boards, yet you always say that someone else is doing such. Projection, projection, projection...

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

utamaroho

Tue Feb-20-01 11:47 AM

8. "RE: You do more crying..."
In response to Reply # 6

leave him alone, you know the deal. let it go

mcbadfeet
Charter member
1066 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 11:54 AM

9. "RE: You do more crying..."
In response to Reply # 6

yeah that makes sense. yeah....im all over these boards.

?- have you cut milk out of your diet? (and im talkin eryting)
?#2- since you haven't then what is the purpose of this...honestly?

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 11:58 AM

10. "RE: You do more crying..."
In response to Reply # 9

Hotep

>?- have you cut milk out
>of your diet? (and im
>talkin eryting)
>?#2- since you haven't then what
>is the purpose of this...honestly?
>

Are these questions directed towards me? If so see "Walking the Path."

PEace
Solarus

utamaroho

Tue Feb-20-01 12:09 PM

14. "RE: You do more crying..."
In response to Reply # 10

DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT!!!!

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 11:43 AM

7. "I posted this"
In response to Reply # 0

Cause often we in activist circles here about the supposed advantages and disadvantages of various foods. I heard today that milk was bad for you. So I did some research.

The for post refuting this idea was from someone with the canadian dairy farmers association.

The against post was from milksucks.com

peace
k. orr

TinkyWinky
Charter member
2726 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 12:00 PM

11. "interesting..."
In response to Reply # 7

both sides try very hard to convince. i'm not a biologist or a chemist so i can't talk about the actual processes, but i DO know that my body has pretty much ceased production of the lactase enzyme, and that at least according to my physician, nearly 80% of the world's adult population is lactose-intolerant to some extent (i.e. some reduced production of the lactase enzyme). essentially, what i've surmised is that lactose intolerance is a very normal and common occurrence, but that consumption of dairy through adulthood has as many potential benefits as it has potential dangers (and maybe more benefits than dangers). but it's not necessary. i still eat some cheese myself, i don't avoid dairy altogether, but i do know that if i did, i would still be able to get all the nutritional benefits it provides from other sources.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

V I V R A N C E
TinkyWinky - marley marl
Vivrant - Pete Rock
bfnh - Premier
guinness - Jay Dee
Mosaic - Hi Tek
Illwill - Hank Shocklee
SqueegieXM - Prince Paul
Kay Dee - Buckwild
Raina - Jazzy Joyce
phil - The Rza
nickelz45 - Diamond D
Donwill - Automator
honorable mention:
fire - fire

"Where the F*CK is my purse icon??????"

:::::::::::::
"And I know what the fuck an option quarterback is. He's the black QB under six feet that ends up being converted to wide receiver once he's selected on day two of the NFL draft because he can't hit the ocean from the edge of a boat."

--

Mattias
Member since Feb 17th 2004
4 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 10:49 AM

29. "RE: I posted this"
In response to Reply # 7

Well well, what have we here?! How convenient! About two months ago I wrote an essay on vegetarianism for school and I then checked what was actually written on this subject in medical papers. *clears throat* Let's just say that there is no doubt that from a strictly nutritional point of view milk is good for you. An adequate calcium intake is necessary for maximizing peak bone mass during the first three decades of life as well as for minimizing subsequent bone loss, and drinking milk is an easy way to obtain all the calcium to need since it is a very rich source of calcium with high bioavailability. For people that doesn't plan their vegetarian diets properly it can also be an important source of proteins. Zink is generally not a problem in vegetarian diets.

On the other hand, there is a positive correlation between dairy product consumption and breast cancer risk. There are a number of possible mechanisms for this; in short milk contains high levels of both estrogens and a hormone called IGF-I which are both thought to be potent stimulators for breast cancer. The high incidences of breast cancer might also be associated with industry-related milk additives.

There you go...

----------------
-You know what Alzheimers is?
-Some kind of beer?

audiovisuals

Wed Feb-21-01 08:38 AM

24. "unfortunately"
In response to Reply # 0

milk isn't really all that good for you: it's pure mucus. that's all it is, SNOT. but it tastes great with cake...

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 09:17 AM

28. "*stomach turning*"
In response to Reply # 24

gee, thanks...

*bleeech*

L.

~~~~

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 10:58 AM

30. "It's not mucus"
In response to Reply # 24

unless you don't believe in science.

k. orr

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #18599 Previous topic | Next topic