Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #18424

Subject: "Haile Sellasei" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
RiG Money
Charter member
894 posts
Wed Feb-14-01 04:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Haile Sellasei"

I'm sure thats spelled wrong...Does anybody know why he had rissen as the messiah of Rastas? Like what did he do that gave birth to this ideology?
Peace
Rig

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Haile Sellasei
jahblessyute
Feb 14th 2001
RIGHT!!! (very well put)
Feb 14th 2001
Feb 14th 2001
Feb 15th 2001
Feb 17th 2001
slicknice
Feb 22nd 2001
They said
Feb 15th 2001
he did have lions n/m
Isa_Sabur
Feb 22nd 2001
Feb 15th 2001
some clarifications
Feb 15th 2001
peoke7
Feb 15th 2001
The problem is...
Feb 15th 2001
but still
Feb 15th 2001
RE: The problem is...
Feb 17th 2001
H.I.M and Queen Amego
audiovisuals
Feb 15th 2001
very small but dynamic guy
Feb 15th 2001
i got one of em
audiovisuals
Feb 15th 2001
RE: very small but dynamic guy
Feb 15th 2001
      RE: very small but dynamic guy
peoke7
Feb 15th 2001
           DOC's an a-hole,
Isa_Sabur
Feb 22nd 2001
why no info on Queen Omega?????????????
Feb 21st 2001
      good question
audiovisuals
Feb 22nd 2001
           i think concubines
Feb 22nd 2001
           makes me feel better
audiovisuals
Feb 22nd 2001
                i'm saying
Feb 23rd 2001
           im sure he had many women,
Isa_Sabur
Feb 23rd 2001
Post of posts, board of boards, conquering okayplayer...
Feb 15th 2001
best post title i've seen ever
Feb 15th 2001
      RE: best post title i've seen ever
Feb 15th 2001
peoke7
Feb 15th 2001
Feb 16th 2001
Defoe
Feb 23rd 2001
Selassie the traitor
Feb 16th 2001
Selassie the traitor... a Nuwaubian perspective?
Feb 16th 2001
      if i was responsible 4
Feb 16th 2001
           Anger???
Feb 16th 2001
                this is the point everyone misses
Feb 21st 2001
                There's so much I didn't know.
Feb 22nd 2001
                uhm
Feb 23rd 2001
                     this is what im refering too
Feb 23rd 2001
                     Non- Muslim Ansars???
Feb 23rd 2001
                     RE: uhm
Feb 23rd 2001
Dreddie B
Feb 22nd 2001
ras means general, not head
Feb 23rd 2001
KAS19
Feb 22nd 2001
Feb 22nd 2001

jahblessyute

Wed Feb-14-01 05:13 PM

1. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 0

This is a very complicated issue. Different sects (Boboshanti, 12 tribes etc.)have different explanations. Here are SOME of them.

1. Direct descendant of Solomon line.

2. Marcus Garvey said "look tothe east for the coming of a black king." This can be interpreted as a "John the Baptist-like" prophesy of the 2nd messiah.

3. Jamaica was very Christian and very influenced by the British monarchy, but at the same time scorned the notion of colonialism. As a result the notion of an African King and a head of a Christian Church (Ethiopian Orthodox), made him very appealing.

4. Selassie was able to defeat Mussilini and make Ethiopia be the only African nation (with the exception of Liberia, to NOT be colonized.

5. He did create SOME social reforms such as building Ethiopia's first university, and translating the bible into the common language Amheric as opposed to the equivalent of Latin, Geez.

6. He visited Jamaica and contributed a school which still stands outside Kingston to this day.

7. His coronation was attended by many world leaders, his was unprecedented for an African leader.

8. His powerful speeches given to the League of Nations.

Well these are just SOME. They are many others that are much more romantic, but less based in fact.

This is a very controversial issue, especially among Caribbean and Ethiopian people, further complicated by the Ethiopian Communist Revolution.

Peace.

dj_teddy_bear
Charter member
4213 posts
Wed Feb-14-01 06:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RIGHT!!! (very well put)"
In response to Reply # 1

i also heard 1 thing sayin that when he went to visit jamaica, they were in a drought for a very long time, but when he got there, it rained!!!

jus sumthin i heard, that jamaicans took to think he was special...

PROUD...TO BE...AN....ETHIOPIAN!!!! when i read posts like this!!!!

DJ Teddy Bear... bringin u nonsense goofy posts since... like a while now, like 6 or 7 months or sumthin like that on the boards.... man i dont know, lemme alone dammit!.... mufucka what?!!??!!

peace...One luv 4 hip hop.....DJ Teddy Bear

a link for all the haters and those who got jokes and shit...http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/content.php?id=9155 (LMAO!!!)(peace to negmarron 4 that shit!!)

heres another link, this one to the OKAYcompilation!!!!! this joint is THOROUGHLY BANGIN!!!! either cop it or download it NOW!!!! http://www.urgent.rug.ac.be/vinylators/okaycompilation/download.html

U WANT MY EMAIL ADDRESS?!?!!

its, dj_teddy_bear@hotmail.com, my AIM too? its cocoateddybear.

OKAYoungins - Givin You True Youth Since (11/12)2000 (cofounded by me and daveyg)

dj_teddy_bear - daveyg - zero - DROots - albinomexican - illnes - okaymattd - HomerILLiad404 - OkayBrazilian - mzhotgirl - Essaywhuman - HersheyBit - Preach - brown_thought - naame - akweykan - Lyterall - MoJoTaters - Loryn - Imfntubby - ILLusional - tRoUbLeMnD - TotalRequestloveLive - WhiGoStaR - smiler - itsmeaight - erjs408 - drFunkenstein - vuduchild - tygris - Afroteck - fLee - Scout - sugarflyy - Adrenaline - RipRapRoad - SayWhatMan - Divine Sheba - IlladOLphINS - ICE

and our honorary OKAYuncle... L_O_Quent

wanna be an official OKAYoungin? hit me (info is higher up!), daveyg (davegilbertson - AIM) or zero (monkeybars j5 - AIM)

"They owe me whats mine, I show you if you if you lone me ya nine!...These crackers cant stop UHURU" - stic.man (of dead prez) 'dem crazy'

wonderbread
Charter member
30 posts
Wed Feb-14-01 08:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 1

Sellassie also abolished thelong standing institution of slavery in Ethiopia and espoused equality under "rule of international morality." he provided contemporary inspiration for the likes of Bob Marley; the lyrics from the song "War" come from a Sellassie speech. Suppossedly, he gave Marley the ring of Solomon passed down along the royal line right before his death, which came after his ouster in Ethiopia in 1974.

peace be with you.

joseph
Member since Feb 20th 2003
268 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 06:18 AM

11. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 3

Sellasies son gave bob the ring.... this is very signifigant....bob had a dream about this ring! where is the ring now?¿?¿

wonderbread
Charter member
30 posts
Sat Feb-17-01 11:41 AM

25. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 11

allegedly the ring was lost after Marley died, but I don't know for sure

slicknice

Thu Feb-22-01 12:50 AM

29. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 1

Just to clear something up:

Amharic is hardly the language of the common people in Ethiopia. Don't forget that Haile Sellasie, when he had it the language of the country, was Amhara and that the Amhara are the rulers of Ethiopia. Amharic is their language not the language of Ethiopia. There is no language of all Ethiopians. The Amhara are an ethnic minority in Ethiopia who control the government and the country and made their language "official." Funny how the Amhara also happen to have lighter skin and straighter hair than all the other ethnic groups...hmmm....

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 05:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "They said"
In response to Reply # 0

When he came to Jamaica, and you looked at his hands, you could see the marks of crucifixion. My father is a dread, and told me that Lions roamed his castle, and only he could command them.

And then I spoke to some Eritreans and they showed me the side of Selassie as a military dictator trying to quell them.

It's complicated to say the least.

peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Isa_Sabur

Thu Feb-22-01 08:49 AM

33. "he did have lions n/m"
In response to Reply # 4

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
d.maul(i$a)......aug
hans (chaos)........jan
aniakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
j.lo- leoligo..........aug
common- soulcies.....march
beyonce- souligo....sept
erykah- soulcies......feb

Gyrofrog
Charter member
1529 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 05:33 AM

5. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 0

His birth name was Tafari Mekonnen. Later on (before he was Emperor) he received the noble title "Ras," which I suppose is equivalent to a Duke or Lord. Hence, "Ras Tafari."

He was finally given a proper burial at a church last year (although, from what I gather, they did not actually test the remains to see if they were indeed Haile Selassie's). I've read that he was originally buried either in a garden or underneath a toilet. The latter really saddens me, regardless of whether or not Selassie failed as a leader.

--Joe C
"Gyrofrog"
Have sax, will woodshed
-----
http://www.gyrofrog.com

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 06:06 AM

8. "some clarifications"
In response to Reply # 5

ras = general
general tafari mekonnen

he was buried in his own office. and missing for a lo-o-o-o-ong time. part of the communist takeover.

==**peace**==

"Words without work is not enough." Sizzla

There is more danger in the word exotic than in a sharpened machete --me

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

DPP; DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word

"Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere"
- Amiri Baraka

http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines

BUY MY BOOK- only $6! Inbox me for details

peoke7

Thu Feb-15-01 06:50 AM

14. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 5

Thought I would comment on a earlier post... actually when he visited Jamaica, prior to touching ground, it rained for 7 days and 7 nights, legend has it that everyone thought he wouldn't come because of the whether. They say once his plane was spotted in the air, 7 doves (notice a trend here) came through the cloud leading the nose of the plane, once they broke through, a giant burst of sunlight came, the rain stopped and his plane landed safely. Not to mention the crucifix markings, the prophecy in the Bible about the ruler,the hunter, the warrior (he participated in the war himself), the King of Kings, his direct lineage to Soloman and Sheeba, who would be the size of a lamb. They also say as a child he would walk through the jungle and Lions would walk up to him and kiss his feet while he patted them on the head, among many other things. Of course, there are his detractors who claimed while he was called these things, Ethiopia's common people suffered from poverty more than ever before which of course resulted in him being overthrown. They say when Soloman was buried, ganja grew from his grave which is why they call ganja 'wisdom' and why they encourage the use of it... not that anyone asked but...

>His birth name was Tafari Mekonnen.
> Later on (before he
>was Emperor) he received the
>noble title "Ras," which I
>suppose is equivalent to a
>Duke or Lord. Hence,
>"Ras Tafari."
>
>He was finally given a proper
>burial at a church last
>year (although, from what I
>gather, they did not actually
>test the remains to see
>if they were indeed Haile
>Selassie's). I've read that
>he was originally buried either
>in a garden or underneath
>a toilet. The latter
>really saddens me, regardless of
>whether or not Selassie failed
>as a leader.
>
>--Joe C
>"Gyrofrog"
>Have sax, will woodshed
>-----
>http://www.gyrofrog.com

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 05:45 AM

6. "The problem is..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

He didn't expelled the Italians by himself.

He had the help of the British. In fact when Italians invaded Ethiopia, Haile Selassie was exiled in England for awhile.

The British proved themselves to be THE WORST European nation in imperialistic, colonial ventures. Anyone associated with them in a positive manner is not looking to good...

PEace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 06:08 AM

9. "but still"
In response to Reply # 6

by letting the british in to fight with them but not to colonize them they ended up able to preserve their culture and pride

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

wonderbread
Charter member
30 posts
Sat Feb-17-01 11:49 AM

26. "RE: The problem is..."
In response to Reply # 6

Sellasie left Addis Ababa only when the Italians were at the gates of the city after much urging by his ministers. He in fact had a personal machine gun in his bunker which he shot at Italian planes with at much risk to himself.
peace be with you.

"My mind is my weapon, my heart is my extra clip"
Thirstin' Howl III

audiovisuals

Thu Feb-15-01 06:03 AM

7. "H.I.M and Queen Amego"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful role models. you must research further. there are books written about him as the emperor, and how this man, wieghing eightyfive wet was to be feared. he was dope. all the other posts about him are on point, so no need to get deep...just do some research...he was a great king.

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 06:09 AM

10. "very small but dynamic guy"
In response to Reply # 7

who also has 2 autobiographies

they used to put his head on other bodies for pictures to make him look more imposing

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

audiovisuals

Thu Feb-15-01 06:22 AM

12. "i got one of em"
In response to Reply # 10

and a good book on emperors and their strategies and there's a story about how he defeated an enemy with his army and didn't use weapons. there's a festival in honor of his birthday every year where i'm from. free concerts, stars be showin up, kickin it...one year some local rappers was on stage and said they were gonna call the rain for Selassie. the clouds formed outta nowhere and it strait POURED...like a monsoon...the weather predicted sunny all day...it was so spiritual...i knew at that time Selassie is real...

joseph
Member since Feb 20th 2003
268 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 06:41 AM

13. "RE: very small but dynamic guy"
In response to Reply # 10

ya man...I think that if you analyze the history of the rasta movement, it can become quite complicated. It becomes almost a political thing, or one might get caught up in the spiritual materialism of the whole thing, the band wagon. I dont know if Im making myself clear. It happens to people in all religions.I know rastafari is a way of life, but some people cant see it like that. Anyway....I think that we should all progress along the path in a gentle but firm kind of way. Constantly learning, and we should try to avoid getting caught up in the gossip of religion. I think we should practice being mindful and aware of our enviorment and our own minds. we should remind ourselves and eachother all the time. WAKE UP!!!!! ya know¿ I am a white man from Wilmington, Delaware.I have been living in Peru for the last five months, singing reggae music. The people in Peru love reggae music. There are alot of political, and economic problems here. If you take the problem in the states and multiply it by 1,000,000......thats what its like. I encourage any one of you to come visit here. I know it will make a big differance in your perception of the world. well thats enough of my mind for now...muchas gracias!!!! KEEP YOUR MEDITATION DILEGENT AND LET LOVE GROW IN YOUR HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peoke7

Thu Feb-15-01 07:11 AM

15. "RE: very small but dynamic guy"
In response to Reply # 13

Interestingly enough, I always read posts about everyone from Marcus Garvey to James Baldwin, what about Dr. York? Although he is extremely controversial, he is doing some things... plus the legendary information about him needs to at some point be verified or denounced. The whole situation about the 33 assasination attempts (although that is skeptical considering the whole masonic order thing), the claims that he can dissapear and reappear in thin air. The claims of his change in appearance from not just weight, but height as well. Plus all the different titles he has assumed in just 20 years. Not to mention the land he has in Georgia, all the differnt rumors about him personally. Even still, I knew this cat who followed him when his land moved from Brooklyn to upstate NY, he would claim (as I have heard from many of his followers) that he could contact UFO's (UFO's or Shams, are a regular part of his teachings, he likens them to everything from the crown worn by kings to Ezekial's Wheel in the Bible) and they would come down to be photographed, touched, or even take some people along for a ride. Again, this is what I have heard numerous times, I have never personally witnessed anything. Any comments or insight would be appreciated...

Isa_Sabur

Thu Feb-22-01 08:54 AM

34. "DOC's an a-hole,"
In response to Reply # 15

i could expand..but then i'd be killed. anyhoo...his book sare ok...i love doc, but he's an asshole.

QweenFiyah
Charter member
8326 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 09:43 PM

27. "why no info on Queen Omega?????????????"
In response to Reply # 7

Yep, that would be part of my advice too.
Its best to read and do research and talk to idren yourself.
But..
As a Rasta Queen I want to know more about
Empress Menen. Can't seem to find much.

Can someone help me out?

http://members.blackplanet.com/ZionzFire

audiovisuals

Thu Feb-22-01 06:04 AM

30. "good question"
In response to Reply # 27

i always believed even though there was little info about her she was very much the backbone of their relationship. i also wondered if the emperor had concubines, out of curiosity...

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Thu Feb-22-01 06:56 AM

31. "i think concubines"
In response to Reply # 30

are very taboo in ethiopian culture

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

audiovisuals

Thu Feb-22-01 08:57 AM

35. "makes me feel better"
In response to Reply # 31

that monogomy is practiced...that's what you're saying, right?

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Fri Feb-23-01 07:17 AM

39. "i'm saying"
In response to Reply # 35

i watched the movie kama sutra with some friends of mine who are all ethiopian and they couldn't get over the idea of concubines

i suspect that if they'
==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

Isa_Sabur

Fri Feb-23-01 10:58 AM

43. "im sure he had many women,"
In response to Reply # 30

women are here for us(men)..to have...so im sure a KING such as H.I.M. had many women...its only natural. he was the "CONQUERING" Lion of Judah.

Mesnjah
Charter member
376 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 11:23 AM

16. "Post of posts, board of boards, conquering okayplayer..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've got some reading for you all - if you want to really learn about Selassie, get comfortable and check these out:

http://www.time.com/time/europe/timetrails/selassie/index.html
a comprehensive timeline of Selassie's life

http://www.time.com/time/europe/timetrails/selassie/hs660429.html
his visit to Jamaica (explains some of the Rasta connection)

http://www.time.com/time/europe/timetrails/selassie/hs740923.html
the other side of the story, famine and Selassie's decline

Lots of info there but check it all out. You will see why any knowledgeable Ethiopian you talk to will have both praise and criticism for H.I.M. They overwhelmingly see him as a political figure with a complicated legacy, not as King of Kings, Lord of Lords, and with the religious zeal the Rasta's place on him. Personally I have a lot of respect for the ideal of Selassie that Rasta's celebrate (the resistance to colonization, etc) but once you know more about some of his failings towards his own people (and that he was a little taken aback and mystified by his Rasta following) it is harder to see the man as such an exalted figure.

MJ

We keep it type raw, and know exactly what we fight for / when the nightfall come, we in the right war / Cats who spill blood for a cause, not just because / Defy the authority and follow God's law / Revolutionary entrepeneurs... - Talib

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 11:44 AM

17. "best post title i've seen ever"
In response to Reply # 16

one thing i think is very interesting is reverse rastas- ethiopians who want to go home to jamaica, where rasta was born

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

RiG Money
Charter member
894 posts
Thu Feb-15-01 01:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "RE: best post title i've seen ever"
In response to Reply # 17

Everyone who posted thanx so much you've cleare up soo much...Also...Does anybody know what the connection between Judaism and Rastafari is?
Thanx
RiG

peoke7

Thu Feb-15-01 01:26 PM

19. "RE: best post title i've seen ever"
In response to Reply # 18

>Everyone who posted thanx so much
>you've cleare up soo much...Also...Does
>anybody know what the connection
>between Judaism and Rastafari is?
>
>Thanx
>RiG

If I am correct it's simple really, the Rasta using his basis on the Emperor by using the orginial text of the Bible, Judaism (Torah) which is generally found in the Old Testament of the Bible, to state their claim as prophecised, the King of King, Lord of Lords, Lion of Judah, Emperor of Ethiopia etc... believing of course, Christ was a blackman (like who didn't know that) everything else just kinda followed suite (I mean there is a lot more, but just to help you out...)

Gyrofrog
Charter member
1529 posts
Fri Feb-16-01 06:31 AM

20. "RE: best post title i've seen ever"
In response to Reply # 18

I thought it had more to do with equating people/places/things from the Old Testament thusly:

Zion = Africa,
Babylon = everything wrong with the world (specifically the wrongs that whites are responsible for),
Israel = the African diaspora

Maybe that's simplistic but those are the parallels I've drawn...

--Joe C
"Gyrofrog"
Have sax, will woodshed
-----
http://www.gyrofrog.com

Defoe

Fri Feb-23-01 02:47 PM

46. "RE: best post title i've seen ever"
In response to Reply # 17

I knew a young lady, a rasta, that moved to Ethopia to become a teacher. She loved the idea of being able to contribute in a positive manner to the land where H.I.M. was born.

nebt_het
Charter member
4614 posts
Fri Feb-16-01 06:48 AM

21. "Selassie the traitor"
In response to Reply # 0

It was because of his betrayal, that As Sayyid Al Haadi Abdur Rahmaan Al Mahdi is now dead. Now, this is the real story. After all efforts to keep peace in the Sudan between the Ansaars and the opposing party (which consisted of the Khatmiyya, the communists and the Egyptians) had failed, As Sayyid Al Haadi Abdur Rahmaan Al Mahdi decided to leave the country for Ethiopia. In the year 1970 A.D. he was to meet with Ansaar leaders, many of whom had been exiled, outside of Sudan at Alraduwk Mountain Camp, 22 Kilometers (12.4 miles) east of the Sea of Alkurmuk. Unknown to As Sayyid Al Haadi Abdur Rahmaan Al Mahdi, Haile Selassie betrayed the Ansaars by making this known to the May regime.
An agreement had been reached between him and Haile Selassie, to allow the Ansaars to secretly immigrate to Ethiopia and to maintain training camps on the border; but Haile Selassie betrayed the Ansaars. He informed the British government who worked with the Americans and the Anglo-Egyptians, who he had always had a pact with, of this plan. On the way to the border, on March 31, 1970 A.D., a police force surrounded as As Sayyid Al Haadi Abdur Rahmaan Al Mahdi and his companions, Sayfuddiyn Anaji and Muhammad Ahmad Mustafa.
As Sayyid Al Haadi Abdur Rahmaan Al Mahdi was shot in his right leg, his two other companions were assassinated, and their bodies were buried in Aldown Valley (near Bawu in Ingasana Mountain). The police then took As Sayyid Al Haadi Abdur Rahmaan Al Mahdi to jail. Haile was informed that he was there in jail and there is where the alleged god, Haile Selassie, ordered as Sayyid Al Haadi Abdur Rahmaan Al Mahdi's death. He was shot repeatedly in the back of his head. His body was later taken to the same place where they buried his two companions.

"Is Haile Selassie Christ?"
Rabonni Yashua

Nuwb or "blackness" is supreme balance before the chaos was introduced. It was a state of sound, right reasoning. That darkness was triple darkness, which is what you would call the absence of consciousness, or the state of being awoke. In actuality, the dream state is more real and peaceful than the chaos you meet once you are awake. A form of spiritual darkness responsible for the spark that turned on the light that is the life and intellect of all who breathe and think.
When the light is turned on again, the chaos begins. The differentiation begins. The separation begins. The rights and the wrongs, the goodness and the badness; the supreme balance is broken and the ego begins to verse the "I."

eyezed
Member since Aug 13th 2002
42 posts
Fri Feb-16-01 07:38 AM

22. " Selassie the traitor... a Nuwaubian perspective?"
In response to Reply # 21

Isn't it true that Dr. York has had some pent up feelings about Haile Selassie for, let's say, personal reasons? Doesn't Dr. York blame Haile Selassie for the death of his father? If so, doesn't that make Dr. York's "facts" on Haile Selassie kinda skewed in a more negative light?

Ok, with those questions being asked, let's view some Ethiopian history. We must go back before Haile Selassie came into power to find the beef with him and the muslims who may call him a traitor. Before Selassie, Emperor Menelik (I think the second) was holder of the throne. During his reign, many of his royal constituents were vying for power. One in specific Lij Yasu. In order to increase his power, or maybe in a bout of rebellion, Lij Yasu sided with the muslims on the Sudan/Ethiopia border. This isn't inherently bad, but, from a historical standpoint, Ethiopia was the world's oldest Christian state, a philosophical change in the monarchy was deeply frowned upon by the church. In his fight to gain control, Lij Yasu killed many of the other Rases who would be successors to Menelik's throne. He had one left Ras Tafari... his own cousin, nonetheless!! Lij Yasu's key in avoiding a malignant view in the Emperor's sight was that his own mother was Menelik's wife.

Unfortunately for Yasu, his mom couldn't hold down the fort forever . The Church Council members soon got wind of Lij Yasu's evil practices (funded by muslim interests in the north) and soon influenced Menelik to choose Zauditu (his daughter) to be named successor to the throne with Ras Tafari as her regent. Bad news for Lij Yasu, who was soon excommunicated and exiled out of the country. Where, oh where, would Lij Yasu find refuge?? You guessed it, Ethiopia's neighbors in the norh, our muslim friends!! Even then, Lij Yasu still used muslim groups (read Ansaar) to dupe Selassie into a state where he could gain power in Ethiopia.

whew! That was a mouthful.

Peace

nebt_het
Charter member
4614 posts
Fri Feb-16-01 07:55 AM

23. "if i was responsible 4"
In response to Reply # 22

the death of your grandfather and people called me GOD you would be mad too right? and the fact is just that a fact.
anyway uhm i have no real view on selassie i dont think he was christ and he did have some good influences.

Nuwb or "blackness" is supreme balance before the chaos was introduced. It was a state of sound, right reasoning. That darkness was triple darkness, which is what you would call the absence of consciousness, or the state of being awoke. In actuality, the dream state is more real and peaceful than the chaos you meet once you are awake. A form of spiritual darkness responsible for the spark that turned on the light that is the life and intellect of all who breathe and think.
When the light is turned on again, the chaos begins. The differentiation begins. The separation begins. The rights and the wrongs, the goodness and the badness; the supreme balance is broken and the ego begins to verse the "I."

eyezed
42 posts
Fri Feb-16-01 10:07 AM

24. "Anger???"
In response to Reply # 23

Raahubaat,

>the death of your grandfather and
>people called me GOD you
>would be mad too right?

"Of all the emotional barriers, the most devastating is anger; the greatest enemy of peace, for it is the most negative. It is a modification of lust, for when one's desires are not gratified, one becomes angry. The mind then becomes confused, memory and overstanding is lost, and things are said and done without awareness or control."-- Quote from the Doc.

>and the fact is just
>that a fact.
>anyway uhm i have no real
>view on selassie i dont
>think he was christ and
>he did have some good
>influences.
>

I concur, to a level. I think we all have the potential to be Christ(s) (anointed ones). Given that assumption, I must say he could have been.
>
>
>
>
>
>Nuwb or "blackness" is supreme balance
>before the chaos was introduced.
>It was a state of
>sound, right reasoning. That darkness
>was triple darkness, which is
>what you would call the
>absence of consciousness, or the
>state of being awoke. In
>actuality, the dream state is
>more real and peaceful than
>the chaos you meet once
>you are awake. A form
>of spiritual darkness responsible for
>the spark that turned on
>the light that is the
>life and intellect of all
>who breathe and think.
>
> When the light
>is turned on again, the
>chaos begins. The differentiation begins.
>The separation begins. The rights
>and the wrongs, the goodness
>and the badness; the supreme
>balance is broken and the
>ego begins to verse the
>"I."

Word.

Irie,

eyezed

Negmarron
Member since Feb 03rd 2004
4 posts
Wed Feb-21-01 10:01 PM

28. "this is the point everyone misses"
In response to Reply # 24

I think we all have the
>potential to be Christ(s) (anointed
>ones

It's time for us to stand up for ourselves like men and women. You let a muthafucker kick you five times, he's gonna kick you five times. You let him kick you three times, he's gonna kick you three times. You let him kick you twice, he'll kick you twice. You let him kick you once, he'll kick you once. But if you break off the muthafuckin feet, ain't gonna be no more kickin goin on kid.

The white man came to Africa with rifles and Bibles - Dead Prez

dumb nice ----> http://www.spaceports.com/~terran/
knowledge ---->http://www.ahad-kreyol.org/
crazy haitian\|/ayisyen fou/|\loco haitian\|/pazzesco haitian/|\verrücktes haitian\|/louco haitian/|\trellos haitian/|\aim

J'ai le sang de mille guerriers Haitiens dans mes veins.

Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double- edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrow

Afroteck
Charter member
4590 posts
Thu Feb-22-01 07:22 AM

32. "There's so much I didn't know."
In response to Reply # 28

I beleieve that my family is descended from Ethiopia (can't be sure), but I know that my Ma is from JA. I have a t-shirt with Tafari's picture on it, and every time I wear it, someone asks me a question about it. Now I can bombard them with knowledge and make sure they leave me alone for good.
Those links will help me with a project I have to do next quarter.
________________________________________________________________________________
~My Mom's Jamaican, My Pop's American, I guess I'm Jamerican~

~Nappiness is Happiness~

"I'm a star, but I'd rather be a comet by far"
-Andre 3000

nebt_het
Charter member
4614 posts
Fri Feb-23-01 08:49 AM

41. "uhm"
In response to Reply # 24

>Raahubaat, (are you being funny?)
>
>"Of all the emotional barriers, the
>most devastating is anger; the
>greatest enemy of peace, for
>it is the most negative.
>It is a modification of
>lust, for when one's desires
>are not gratified, one becomes
>angry. The mind then becomes
>confused, memory and overstanding is
>lost, and things are said
>and done without awareness or
>control."-- Quote from the Doc.

I never mentioned anger. also it wouldnt even fit under this quote sir.........having not so nice feelings toward a man who killed you grandfather is not below human. in fact we as human w donnot know how to control our emotions. The quote is speaking from not having desires met not killing a family member.
Its a great quote from my teacher but it does not pertain to the issue.

>>>
>
>I concur, to a level. I
>think we all have the
>potential to be Christ(s) (anointed
>ones). Given that assumption, I
>must say he could have
>been.

stop it man. i was speakin in the sense of CHRIST of Religion not of all individuals being Christ like. I often take things there on here but most folk get upset.
therfore i kept it simple. I am aware of that but his nature was disagreeable he did not conquer his nature therfore he was not Christ .....Christ like....however you wanna take it!

nebt_het
Charter member
4614 posts
Fri Feb-23-01 08:55 AM

42. "this is what im refering too"
In response to Reply # 41

"Ok, with those questions being asked, let's view some Ethiopian history. We must go back before Haile Selassie came into power to find the beef with him and the muslims who may call him a traitor. "

Ansar community was not the muslim community. there is where you are mixing facts. Ansar "aiders of Allah" where not the prominent muslims at that time so unless mr selassie was unknown to them why would he treat the ansar as such?
If he new who they were that is? and to know that was to know that the Muslims he had beef with where not the Ansars.

Are you a Rasta?

eyezed
42 posts
Fri Feb-23-01 11:58 AM

44. "Non- Muslim Ansars???"
In response to Reply # 42

>"Ok, with those questions being asked,
>let's view some Ethiopian history.
>We must go back before
>Haile Selassie came into power
>to find the beef with
>him and the muslims who
>may call him a traitor.
>"
>
>Ansar community was not the muslim
>community. there is where you
>are mixing facts. Ansar "aiders
>of Allah" where not the
>prominent muslims at that time
>so unless mr selassie was
>unknown to them why would
>he treat the ansar as
>such?
>If he new who they were
>that is? and to know
>that was to know that
>the Muslims he had beef
>with where not the Ansars.
>
>
Aiders of Allah not muslim???? Please Explain. Despite their prominence, or lack thereof, they did (at least partially) make up for the threat to Ethiopia's Christian dynasty. Those are facts that can be read in his (second, I think) Autobiography.

>Are you a Rasta?
>
I was gonna ask you the same question.

Peace

eyezed

I wasn't trying to be funny in greeting you. I think it's says a lot when someone tries to (at least attempt to) talk to you in your language. I don't greet everyone like that, just my friends in the AEO, nah mean?

eyezed
42 posts
Fri Feb-23-01 12:08 PM

45. "RE: uhm"
In response to Reply # 41

Yo,

>I never mentioned anger. also it
>wouldnt even fit under this
>quote sir.........having not so nice
>feelings toward a man who
>killed you grandfather is not
>below human. in fact we
>as human w donnot know
>how to control our emotions.
>The quote is speaking from
>not having desires met not
>killing a family member.
>Its a great quote from my
>teacher but it does not
>pertain to the issue.
>
What word is used for these not so nice feelings? Dis-agree-able-ness. Which would mean he hasn't conquered his nature either.

>>>>
>>
>>I concur, to a level. I
>>think we all have the
>>potential to be Christ(s) (anointed
>>ones). Given that assumption, I
>>must say he could have
>>been.
>
>stop it man. i was speakin
>in the sense of CHRIST
>of Religion not of all
>individuals being Christ like. I
>often take things there on
>here but most folk get
>upset.
>therfore i kept it simple. I
>am aware of that but
>his nature was disagreeable he
>did not conquer his nature
>therfore he was not Christ
>.....Christ like....however you wanna take
>it!
>

My bad. I thought you would have been coming from a different frame of reference.

Peace,

eyezed

Dreddie B

Thu Feb-22-01 09:07 AM

36. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 0

"Ras" means head, so they called Haile Sellassie "Ras Tafari" the head profit.

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Fri Feb-23-01 07:18 AM

40. "ras means general, not head"
In response to Reply # 36

==**peace**==

- Amiri Baraka

KAS19

Thu Feb-22-01 11:44 AM

37. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 0

the main reason haile selasie was considered the messiah was because marcus garvey in one of his speeches spoke of"a great king that would come out of ethiopia".this lead black people at the time to look for someone,anyone that could fit the bill.pardon me for not having the proper references as to what speech in particular it was stated in,but a little research can go a long way.i just find it funny that people can call a man the messiah,christ,h.i.m.,and so on but no one has taken the time to research his family lineage.if he is in fact christ,what is his hebrew name?if he is christ,why would he be christian and not hebrew?all throughout the old testament people's names were supposed to link them to the israelites,back to abraham,back to noah,back to seth,onto adam and ultimately back to god himself.ras tafari was his birth name and is an amharic name.at no time in his life did he say he was a direct descendant of anyone in the bible.some rastafarians will say he is a direct descendant of solomon.if that is the case,then the question must be raised again.where is his name that links him to the bloodine?
i could bash selasie all day,but i'll cut it short.

QweenFiyah
Charter member
8326 posts
Thu Feb-22-01 06:32 PM

38. "RE: Haile Sellasei"
In response to Reply # 37

You could not be MORE WRONG.

Where u been?
what u been reading..(or NOT reading)?
who u been talking to?

Go back then come again.
Foreal.

http://members.blackplanet.com/ZionzFire

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #18424 Previous topic | Next topic