Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #16278

Subject: "and never the twain shall meet" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 01:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"and never the twain shall meet"

i observe the activity on this board and marvel at a persistent phenomenon:

talking at/around, but rarely to

seperating self from "them" and proclaiming superiority

i marvel, at the "righteous" and the fullness of their heads as "they" point and snicker, amusing themselves by masterbatorily celebrating their own enlightenment

all smoke, but no flame

words are indeed vessels, yet (sadly) many use the sharpness of "the sword" and the power of their own intelligence for nothing more than (at worst) spewing ideology with no goal other than narcisstic gloating, or (at worst) losing sight of the benefit of those for whom that knowledge was supposedly gained

when you see someone in need of help/guidance do you mock him or do you bend your knees and assist without judgement?

what good is it to have the wealth of knowledge, but to either use it as a bludgeon or to simply hoard it -- swapping it back and forth with those....

just....like....you?

there is a very thin line between being a warrior/soldier and being no better than those you supposedly fight (or uncover)

tread lightly

(it's time to make sure the message...whatever it might be...is heard OUTSIDE the walls)

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
hahahhahaha, dude...
utamaroho
Apr 01st 2001
my queen ...
utamaroho
Apr 01st 2001
he's talking to you n/m
Apr 01st 2001
      don't assume
Apr 02nd 2001
           RE: don't assume
Apr 02nd 2001
           Point taken...
Apr 02nd 2001
AAAhhhhhh....
Apr 01st 2001
RE: and never the twain shall meet
CROCODILE HUNTER
Apr 01st 2001
chill out
utamaroho
Apr 01st 2001
as usual
Apr 01st 2001
Apr 01st 2001
gotdamn boodaah n/m
Apr 01st 2001
Apr 01st 2001
Yall
Apr 02nd 2001
pardon me
Apr 02nd 2001
      clarification
Apr 02nd 2001
      RE: pardon me
Apr 02nd 2001
           i'm dumb
Apr 02nd 2001
                RE: i'm dumb
Apr 02nd 2001
                     oh (n/m)
Apr 02nd 2001
                     I knew I was special.(smile)
Apr 02nd 2001
thank you
Apr 02nd 2001
SheRah
Apr 02nd 2001
Apr 02nd 2001
Apr 02nd 2001
When I was a pup
Apr 02nd 2001
Aiight!!!!!!!
Apr 02nd 2001

utamaroho

Sun Apr-01-01 01:39 PM

1. "hahahhahaha, dude..."
In response to Reply # 0

This is soooo funny!!!

geez man, i do give you points for being a "good moderator" but this post was really hitting home with a discussion i recently have with my queen and always laugh about when talking to Solarus.

good post, something that's been on my mind a while

(((((PEACE)))))

"Time's up for giving people "breaks." Either come correct or don't come at all. The time for "trying" is up, either DO or keep your mouth shut. Nobody wants to hear about "attempts". Actions and successes speak for themselves. Solarus & Myself

utamaroho

Sun Apr-01-01 02:08 PM

3. "my queen ..."
In response to Reply # 1

usually stands up for "devloping people" while my brother and i usually interact with others the same way we do with each other. i.e. the "either stand tall or sit the fuck down!" attitude, probably because it works and is an effective motivating/teaching strategy.

a story: there's this autistic kid whose father teaches martial arts in DC. he just came to live with his father and from what i've gathered from the story the "family" babies him as if he can't do anything. once he got to his father (who teaches afrikan martial arts and has a "do for self/no pity" attitude) he was MADE to do for himself or suffer the consequences. as a result he has managed to accomplish things that would thought impossible by the "family". i mean he can even take Solarus in combat... (i had to dude it was to funny).

anyways brings me to a point i make with the queen. at what point do you abandon the more compassionate/dust off the scraped knee attitude and apply the pressure needed to start growth. whether it be towards self or other, there comes a time when easing something comfortably along is not initiating/forcing development. i always say fuck this being politically correct, say what is real to self and have nothing to worry about. usually this attitude is met with tears but what can you do? gross people want to be gross and if their environment lets them be gross then they never refine. when meeting catalysts that spark change, what's the usual response? *in whining voice* "stop attacking me! you self righteous $%#@! you don't know me! why are you doing this?! please stop!," and so on and so on. like omeone said on here before, some people don't want to hear the truth(especially about themselves), their defense mechanism: we are the world/ unrealistic unity/ mutual respect based on holding one's tongue type stuff.

just thought i'd throw that in there.

(((((PEACE)))))

Time's up for giving people "breaks." Either come correct or don't come at all. The time for "trying" is up, either DO or keep your mouth shut. Nobody wants to hear about "attempts". Actions and successes speak for themselves. Solarus & Myslef

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 06:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "he's talking to you n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

>This is soooo funny!!!
>

He's talking to you.

>geez man, i do give you
>points for being a "good
>moderator" but this post was
>really hitting home with a
>discussion i recently have with
>my queen and always laugh
>about when talking to Solarus.

See?

>"Time's up for giving people "breaks."
>Either come correct or don't
>come at all. The time
>for "trying" is up, either
>DO or keep your mouth
>shut. Nobody wants to hear
>about "attempts". Actions and successes
>speak for themselves. Solarus &
>Myself

See again?

Alek

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "don't assume"
In response to Reply # 9

a person whom i consider wise once told me to listen to a lesson in two ways: globally and personally

globally in the sense of: how does this apply to the group?
personally in the sense of: hwo does this apply to me?

it is very easy to listen/see/hear and think "so and so is who is being spoken to." or "so and so needs to hear this". it is much more difficult to look at the plank in our own eye, so to speak. to a degree this is what this post was about -- finding fault in others and pointing it out in the name of assistance when it's moreso about an individual feeling themselves

it is my hope that folk would read that and say: "where am I in all that?" or "when do I do that?"

each of us faces those fine lines and (again) this is just a "warning sign" along the road -- ignore it and run the risk, or heed it and possibly avoid a pitfall/stumbling block

in regards to utamaro's (sp?) comments: there is nothing wrong with a little tough love. but only if your recipient can take it. being too heavy handed and you run the risk of (at best) alienating those whom you (supposedly) wish to help, and at worst becoming like an alarm clock whose alarm never turns off.

as i said before, why not just do the following:

plant your seed of knowledge, furtilize it with truth and let it marinate

if it grows then nurture it further. it is unwise to feed babies, solid foods before they are ready isn't it? similarly, if you barrage the "uninformed" with too much you run the risk of drowning them. look at how your method of care is being received -- if you need to turn up the burner, do so, if you need to pull back a little (for the sake of your help being recieved) why not give smaller doses? cutting off your arm to remove a hangnail IS effective, but at what cost? who/what is ultimately crippled? how wise is it to say: "yeah i sure showed that fingernail, when you now have one less arm to work with? bludgening (sp?) those you seek to help, helps whom in the end? yes, you've exercised your knowledge, but what good is tilled soil if there is no harvest when the time comes?

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
(see Candy1's sig about what that means)
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
"What are we as African Americans? Let's really examine how we are contributing to the projection of our own images of ourselves. What are we really willing to give up? Our integrity? The honor of our community, just for some money? "-Jada

knumskul
Charter member
1038 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 05:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "RE: don't assume"
In response to Reply # 11

Fresh air, indeed! Thanks Boodah!

P.S.
Intelligence mixed with humility - WOW! what a turn on (smirk). You married? (kidding)

y'all *really* think" that you're tricking somebody into something don't you? what you don't realize is that most women decide within the first 5 minutes of meeting a dude whether or not they'll sleep with him. all your "game" is merely entertainment. - H

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 09:09 AM

26. "Point taken..."
In response to Reply # 11

...it was meant as a joke, and also...

>it is very easy to listen/see/hear
>and think "so and so
>is who is being spoken
>to." or "so and so
>needs to hear this". it
>is much more difficult to
>look at the plank in
>our own eye, so to
>speak.

...I wanted to make this exact point to utamaroho, since he doesn't always seem to be doing that.

>to a degree this
>is what this post was
>about -- finding fault in
>others and pointing it out
>in the name of assistance
>when it's moreso about an
>individual feeling themselves

And I fell for it. Apologies.

>it is my hope that folk
>would read that and say:
> "where am I in
>all that?" or "when do
>I do that?"

I did think this, but I should have written that as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Alek

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 01:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "AAAhhhhhh...."
In response to Reply # 0

Isn't fresh air so nice to breathe?

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Dujeous @ Bowery Ballroom
6 Delancey Street (at Bowery)
w/Addison Groove Project &
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

CROCODILE HUNTER

Sun Apr-01-01 02:17 PM

4. "RE: and never the twain shall meet"
In response to Reply # 0

YOUR AMBIGUITY IS TERRIBLE!!!
Either be a moderator and don't offer opinions at all

OR

Enter the convo and get dealt with.

Obviously this is a pitiful attempt to attack those who may have offended you.

IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO SOMEONE BE SPECIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I often lurk here and I'm amazed how you RARELY make SPECIFIC comments to individuals and instead take the safe route of AMBIGUITY in new, general threads.

A moderator is supposed to be NONPARTISAN i.e. chooses NO SIDES. THIS POST SHOWS YOU ARE CHOOSING A SIDE AGAINST THE ACCUSED "RIGHTEOUS ONES."

STEP UP OR SHUT UP.

utamaroho

Sun Apr-01-01 02:20 PM

5. "chill out"
In response to Reply # 4

may there is something on his mind or maybe not, or he could be trying to make it a little more civil around here by suggestion of some personal guidelines we should follow.
think about it

(((((PEACE)))))

Time's up for giving people "breaks." Either come correct or don't come at all. The time for "trying" is up, either DO or keep your mouth shut. Nobody wants to hear about "attempts". Actions and successes speak for themselves. Solarus & Myslef

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 04:23 PM

8. "as usual"
In response to Reply # 5

your understanding is appreciated

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 04:22 PM

7. "..."
In response to Reply # 4

>YOUR AMBIGUITY IS TERRIBLE!!!

specific incidences elicit specific responses (most often sent DIRECTLY)

>Either be a moderator and don't
>offer opinions at all..OR...Enter the convo and get dealt
>with.

to begin...you're stepping outside your bubble in telling me how to do a job you didn't give me.

next, as far as the very concept of "being dealt with", are you serious?

you must have a different opinion of these discussions than i do.

i consider this a platform for "building" -- the exchange of ideas in the hopes of gaining knowledge, making plans, and (hopefully) getting an opportunity to share with a potentially worldwide audience

we live at a very unique time in terms of our ability to connect with people outside our little circle, as such, i hate to see such an opportunity go to waste

in other words....what i said holds in terms of specificity, read it and do what you will

you don't like it...well....NEXT POST

>Obviously this is a pitiful attempt
>to attack those who may
>have offended you.

your assumption couldn't be more wrong. what do i have to be offended about?

you've been around (so you say), let's go back my famous hit dog theory.

(recap, for those that don't know -- if you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the only one who will holler is the one that was hit)

since no one has called me out by name, i would only be offended if any of the comments picked at scabs or created new wounds-- which hasn't happened. sorry to burst that imaginary bubble.

>I often lurk here and I'm
>amazed how you RARELY make
>SPECIFIC comments to individuals and
>instead take the safe route
>of AMBIGUITY in new, general
>threads.

it's unfortunate that your thirst for seeing folks "get dealt with" has so tainted your views that you are unable to find any relevance in my comments. the wonder is, why bother reading/replying at all? i've been on the internet long enough to know that flamewars and across the board snide remarks rarely produce any usable fruit. so, if i make commentary and you consider it general -- perhaps it is. but dig deeper. my "general comments" are usually made to be read/ignored as needed. consider them as a PSA. or are you the type that yells at your tv/radio too?

>A moderator is supposed to be
>NONPARTISAN i.e. chooses NO SIDES.

says who? did you get your hands on "the secret moderator handbook" or some ish? my jd as i understand it (from the person who gave me this job) is that i'm supposed to uphold the posting guidelines, and archive as I (and the other players) feel necessary. the only addition I'VE added is to maintain a certain level of civility within the posts so as not to foster an environment of confusion/anarchy.

special note: you don't like the way i'm oing my job? take it up with my "boss".

>THIS POST SHOWS YOU ARE
>CHOOSING A SIDE AGAINST THE
>ACCUSED "RIGHTEOUS ONES."

and the hit dogs will holler......

(by the way: who ARE the "rightous ones"? and how can you be sure that I'M not one?)

>STEP UP OR SHUT UP.

just for grins...

and what if i don't?

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
(see Candy1's sig about what that means)
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
"What are we as African Americans? Let's really examine how we are contributing to the projection of our own images of ourselves. What are we really willing to give up? Our integrity? The honor of our community, just for some money? "-Jada

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 02:30 PM

6. "gotdamn boodaah n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." ~~anonymous

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

"Ignorance: The Verbal Airborne Disease" (c) my friend Ty

"writer's block is a...I mean, it's like...uh...damn." ~~Me

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Sun Apr-01-01 06:30 PM

10. "RE: and never the twain shall meet"
In response to Reply # 0

>talking at/around, but rarely to

Yes.

>seperating self from "them" and proclaiming
>superiority

Yes.

>i marvel, at the "righteous" and
>the fullness of their heads
>as "they" point and snicker,
>amusing themselves by masterbatorily celebrating
>their own enlightenment

Haha. Yup.

>words are indeed vessels, yet (sadly)
>many use the sharpness of
>"the sword" and the power
>of their own intelligence for
>nothing more than (at worst)
>spewing ideology with no goal
>other than narcisstic gloating,

Mm hmm.

or
>(at worst) losing sight of
>the benefit of those for
>whom that knowledge was supposedly
>gained

Yesyesyes. Exactly (and eloquent).

>what good is it to have
>the wealth of knowledge, but
>to either use it as
>a bludgeon or to simply
>hoard it -- swapping it
>back and forth with those....
>just....like....you?

You might want to add something about capital letters too.

Alek

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:56 AM

12. "Yall"
In response to Reply # 0

you cats are funny...
personally, I like solaris and utamaroho post....
yes they are and I am heavy handed at times. but sometimes the boards can get fustrating, especially when dealing with some of the oposing views, but it's all good...

peace..

ps. utamaroho I bought the india.arie and it's nice.....

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 04:09 AM

13. "pardon me"
In response to Reply # 12

>solaris and utamaroho

who? why do folk keep assuming these two are somehow the intended targets (this is the second (third?))?

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 04:17 AM

14. "clarification"
In response to Reply # 13

>personally, I like solaris and utamaroho post....

this comment was not targeted at your original post...
it was more towards alek's .....
sorry for the misunderstanding

peace...

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 05:46 AM

15. "RE: pardon me"
In response to Reply # 13

THE ANSWER IS WITHIN THE QUESTION.

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 05:52 AM

16. "i'm dumb"
In response to Reply # 15

elaborate

Sudani
Charter member
631 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 07:11 AM

24. "RE: i'm dumb"
In response to Reply # 16

pardon me"

>solaris and utamaroho
who? why do folk keep assuming these two are somehow the intended targets (this is the second (third?))?

you are not dumb and i was not trying to say that. with your post the first names that came to mind were those two. that is why they said thier names. you may have been making a general statement but some people(like me) thought of them while reading your statement. others may think of me while reading your statement , but to some okayplayers, these guys fit the bill.

BooDaah
Charter member
32690 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 07:15 AM

25. "oh (n/m)"
In response to Reply # 24

in that case please read "don't assume" above

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 09:39 AM

27. "I knew I was special.(smile)"
In response to Reply # 24

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 06:08 AM

18. "thank you"
In response to Reply # 0

for the reminder.

It's easy for me to lose sight of the goal of message boards, which is to increase and encourage the discourse. I get all caught up in my opinion and find myself stepping on toes that, given a moment of thought, I certainly wouldn't.

Thanks, BooDaah.

Peace.

I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
I awoke and saw that life was service,
I acted and, behold, service was joy.

-- Rabindranath Tagaore

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

SheRah

Mon Apr-02-01 06:25 AM

19. "RE: and never the twain shall meet"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace,
This is my first time ever responding, I am new- and well- I only want to say that BooDaah you are only trying to show heads how to be more humble in their approach. I think some of the negative responses given by Crocodile Hunter is a paranoid frustration, which if he only read and quietly contemplated your suggestions, could eventually turn into frustration,the rest being up to him to finally come to terms with.-

Respect,
SheRah

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 06:31 AM

20. "RE: and never the twain shall meet"
In response to Reply # 0

>talking at/around, but rarely to
>seperating self from "them" and proclaiming
>superiority

I agree with this statement. No matter what political or religious group one belongs to each person exists as an individual and each individual is on the planet for a specific purpose. I know people who try to convert me to whatever political group or religion because they personally feel it's the best or better than others...usually they do this without asking me what I think or what my experiences are.

Sometimes a person talks to me and I hear someone else speaking through them. I don't hear them speaking to me but giving me some kind of rhetoric or ideal that I can't relate to.

>i marvel, at the "righteous" and
>the fullness of their heads
>as "they" point and snicker,
>amusing themselves by masterbatorily celebrating
>their own enlightenment
>all smoke, but no flame

Another thing I notice is some people like to point at everybody and everything but themselves and what they are doing or not doing to affirm life and make a difference. Don't tell me what I am supposed to believe or do but what you are doing. I will respond in kind.

>words are indeed vessels, yet (sadly)
>many use the sharpness of
>"the sword" and the power
>of their own intelligence for
>nothing more than (at worst)
>spewing ideology with no goal
>other than narcisstic gloating, or
>(at worst) losing sight of
>the benefit of those for
>whom that knowledge was supposedly
>gained

Political, social and religious vacuums really do exist! Some people get sucked up into the "black hole" and lose their individuality and self-expression.

>when you see someone in need
>of help/guidance do you mock
>him or do you bend
>your knees and assist without
>judgement?

I can only speak for myself and what I have experienced. I can speak about my personal vision, my commitment to making a difference using the arts and technology. I can talk about my struggles and triumphs. This is my life and I am willing to serve without judgement.

Part of my job is sharing my vision with others. I am asked to direct or guide people towards something that helps people. This makes me feel empowered, positive and productive.

Even though I am sharing my experiences I recognize when other people are sharing what they have personally experienced rather than spouting some rhetoric or ideal. Usually, I don't read or respond at all to these kinds of messages or posts.

I like okayactivist because it does occassionally engage people in down-to-earth discussion about a variety of topics.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Shelly
Charter member
15886 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 06:44 AM

21. "RE: and never the twain shall meet"
In response to Reply # 0

BARK

Shit happens

Shimmy
Charter member
45923 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 06:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "When I was a pup"
In response to Reply # 0

I was so damn righteous--then life kicked my ass several times, and I realized I didn't know it all....what a revelation!!!

Sure hope I don't come off that way now...its something I work on consciously..but old habits die hard sometimes...

I Tell You: One must
still have chaos in one
to give birth to a
dancing star!
-Nietzsche

Shimmy

“Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain

MisterGrump
Charter member
32144 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 07:01 AM

23. "Aiight!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Speaking on it as always.

little......
http://members.blackplanet.com/GrumpyBear/

"Life's a bitch....BUT I LOVE THAT HOE!!!" (c) AVE

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #16278 Previous topic | Next topic