Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #15876

Subject: "AFRAKAN CONSCIOUSNESS" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 05:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"AFRAKAN CONSCIOUSNESS"

This thread is dedicated to understanding SPIRIT as the source and basis of all things for the Afrakan.

Starting with the best recorded of our most ancient civilizations, KMT, we will get a glimpse of the KMTic consciousness.

From Sacred Woman by Queen Afua:
"The lives of the citizens of Khamit were centered around the temple, much like the state capitol or city hall of modern times. Reverence for the Divine permeated ALL aspects of life in Khamit. The culture was spiritual, not religious. Religion is modern, whereas spirituality is primordial The very word "religion" is drawn from the Latin word re-ligare or religio, which meas to tie back or to tie again. Since the Khamites saw their lives intrinsically connected to Divinity, there was no reason to be tied. It was those who invented religion and its attendant competitive dogmas to tie them fast to their spiritual vision.

Khamitic consciousness perceives itself as surrounded, enveloped, saturated, nurtured, and immersed in divinity, like the fish in the ocean. Khamites had no need to invent religion. Spiritual immersion was the mode of existence. This view empowered our Khamitic ancestors. They entertained no doctrine of salvation by proxy. Maat demands personal responsibilty and accountability. There is no vicarious atonement. When you live in Maat, EVERY DAY IS JUDGEMENT DAY."-(emphasis mine)

For those that are wondering Afraka spelled with an "a" makes renders it into three KMTic words: "af," "ra," and "ka." "Af" also "afu" means "body" or "flesh." "Ra" means "energy" or "lifeforce" and is usually represented by the Sun as the Sun is the greatest source of energy and lifeforce that we know of in the material world. "Ka" means "soul." Therefore the three words put together "af-ra-ka" make "the body and soul of the lifeforce" or "flesh and soul of the ultimate source of energy," which adequately corresponds to the land now called "Africa." (Sidenote: Remember name of Afu-Ra's album: Body of the Lifeforce? As you can see, it is his name.)

PEace
Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
MEDU NETER
utamaroho
Mar 29th 2001
my bad
utamaroho
Mar 29th 2001
'Ancestor Worship'
Mar 29th 2001
geez
utamaroho
Mar 29th 2001
Chapter 17
Mar 29th 2001
RE: 'Ancestor Worship'
nelle30087
Mar 29th 2001
      Information
Mar 30th 2001
42 NEGATIVE CONFESSIONS
utamaroho
Mar 29th 2001
still looking...
utamaroho
Mar 29th 2001
RE: 42 NEGATIVE CONFESSIONS
Apr 10th 2001
      Principles of MAAT
Apr 10th 2001
      not so innocent
Apr 10th 2001
      RE: 42 NEGATIVE CONFESSIONS
KAS19
Apr 10th 2001
NTU
Mar 30th 2001
Four Categories
Mar 30th 2001
interesting...
utamaroho
Apr 01st 2001
i am a fish
Mar 30th 2001
The more and more I read...
Mar 30th 2001
Alas,
Mar 30th 2001
      Question:
Mar 30th 2001
           Respond please...
Apr 03rd 2001
           I'll be respond soon
Apr 03rd 2001
                Thanks
Apr 03rd 2001
           GREAT QUESTION
utamaroho
Apr 04th 2001
           No doubt...
Apr 04th 2001
           ok
utamaroho
Apr 04th 2001
                Check it out
Apr 04th 2001
           SANKOFA!!!
DrB
Apr 10th 2001
           An Attempt
Apr 09th 2001
                Thanks
Apr 09th 2001
will be back...
Mar 30th 2001
back...
Apr 02nd 2001
Language and the WORD
Mar 30th 2001
what do ytou think about this?
utamaroho
Apr 01st 2001
RE: AFRAKAN CONSCIOUSNESS
utamaroho
Apr 03rd 2001
God in African Belief PtI
Apr 04th 2001
God in African Belief Part II
Apr 04th 2001
      great post...
Apr 05th 2001
up. learn to swim.
Apr 06th 2001
Ifa (Spiritual System of the Yoruba)
Apr 17th 2001
where did you get this?
utamaroho
Apr 17th 2001
      nevermind
utamaroho
Apr 17th 2001

utamaroho

Thu Mar-29-01 05:30 PM

1. "MEDU NETER"
In response to Reply # 0

you got that on you? the part that shows the breakdown of the word psychology would be helpful. showing study of mind(euro) vs. study of soul(afrikan). i'll be on vacation till sunday so hold it down.

(((((PEACE)))))

"You're comparing apples and oranges, my friend. Oversimplification is not the way to "win" an argument. I'm glad you're convinced that what you're doing is right. Are they giving out prizes to the people who bring in the most converts this week?" --quoted by janey(my new heroine)to abduhu. *a clear glimpse of the truth*

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

utamaroho

Thu Mar-29-01 05:40 PM

3. "my bad"
In response to Reply # 1

that was in "Light from Ancient Africa" by Naim Akbar

(((((PEACE)))))

"You're comparing apples and oranges, my friend. Oversimplification is not the way to "win" an argument. I'm glad you're convinced that what you're doing is right. Are they giving out prizes to the people who bring in the most converts this week?" --quoted by janey(my new heroine)to abduhu. *a clear glimpse of the truth*

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 05:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "'Ancestor Worship'"
In response to Reply # 0

From Metu Neter by Ra Un Nefer Amen:

"No less important was the fact that the ability to communicated with ancestors has enabled Africans and Orientals to unite people into kinship groups that transcended the lower and limited ties of blood. Western scientists delight in parading their erudition regarding the fact that all cells in existence today, have been in existence from the beginning of time (this is due to cellular division). Yet, for the most part, Westerners are incapable of establishing firm kinships beyond the immediate family circle of husband, wife and children. In most traditional African societies, millions of people who are, and will remain strangers to each other, are tied, through ancestors functioning as spiritual clan heads, into a web of responsibilities that would be expected only from the immediate family. It is in this manner, out of a sense of extended blood kinship, that traditional (i.e., not westernized) African societies with populations numbering in the millions, have been able to maintain law and order without police systems, ideologies, etc...
Incidentally Africans have never worshipped ancestors. Ancestral rituals have always aimed at establishing communication with ancestors to enable them to contribute to the direction of the nation. Thus we must reject the western concept of ancestor worship."-

I wanted to comment on a few things. First we must also reject the notion of the "extended family" as in the Afrakan context, that IS THE FAMILY. Immediate family, nuclear family, etc., these terms have no meaning in ALL traditional Afrakan societies. That is an import to various Afrakan tradition.

Another thing that must be noted is that the concepts of "jail" and "nursing home" are also foreign to traditional Afrakan societies. In many cases that were untranslatable until recent years.

Peace
Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

utamaroho

Thu Mar-29-01 05:43 PM

4. "geez"
In response to Reply # 2

>>In most traditional African societies, millions of people who are, and will remain strangers to each other, are tied, through ancestors functioning as spiritual clan heads, into a web of responsibilities that would be expected only from the immediate family. It is in this manner, out of a sense of extended blood kinship, that traditional (i.e., not westernized) African societies with populations numbering in the millions, have been able to maintain law and order without police systems, ideologies, etc...

makes you wonder, "what are these people doing here?" you call this life?!? civilization?!?

what section of the book was this in?

(((((PEACE)))))

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Thu Mar-29-01 05:46 PM

5. "Chapter 17"
In response to Reply # 4

nelle30087

Thu Mar-29-01 06:06 PM

6. "RE: 'Ancestor Worship'"
In response to Reply # 2

I heard Medu Neter was a difficult read. Did you find it informative or moreso opinion?

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 09:26 AM

12. "Information"
In response to Reply # 6

It is only difficult because it challenges the assumptions that we base our Western mentality on. When I first read it years ago I was in the process of realizing what Western thought was (is). The only opinion found in the reading is in the judgments made when comparing Afrakan and Western thought. The basic theme is that Western thought is TOTALLY negative and SELF-DESTRUCTIVE fro AFRAKANS as it is foreign to our way of life and renders us into the powerless, sick, dis-eased state that you find us in today.

PEace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

utamaroho

Thu Mar-29-01 06:10 PM

7. "42 NEGATIVE CONFESSIONS"
In response to Reply # 0

1. i have not done iniquity.

2. i have not robbed with violence.

3. i have not done violence (to anyone or anything).

4. i have not committed theft.

5. i have not murdered man or woman.

6. i have not defrauded offerings.

7. i have not acted deceitfully.

8. i have not robbed the things that belong to God.

9. i have told no lies.

10. i have not snatched away food.

11. i have not uttered evil words.

12. i have attacked no one.

13. i have not slaughtered the cattle that are set apart for the gods.

14. i have not acted deceitfully.

15. i have not laid waste the plowghed lands.

16. i have not been an eavesdropper or pried into matters to make mischief.

17. i have not spoken against anyone.

18. i have not allowed myself to become angry without cause.

19. i have not committed adultery recently.

20. i have not committed any sin against my own purity.

21. i have not caused terror.

22. i have not done that which is abominable.

23. i have not uttered fiery words. i have not been a man or woman of anger.

24. i have not stopped my ears against the words of right and wrong.

25. i have not stirred up strife.

26. i have not caused any to weep.

27. i have not lusted or committed fornication nor have i lain with others of my same sex.

28. i have not avenged myself. i have not eaten my heart.

29. i have not worked grief, i have not abused anyone.

30. i have not acted insolently or with violence.

31. i have not judged hastily.

32. i have not transgressed or angered God.

33. i have not multiplied my speech overmuch.

34. i have not done harm or evil.

35. i have not worked treason or curses on the king.

36. i have never befouled the water.

37. i have not spoken scornfully.

38. i have not cursed the god.

39. i have not behaved with arrogance.

40. i have not been overwhelmingly proud or sought for distinctions.

41. i have never magnified my condition beyond what was fitting, or increased my wealth

except with such things as are (justly) my own posessions.

42. i have never slighted the god in my native town.

utamaroho

Thu Mar-29-01 06:12 PM

8. "still looking..."
In response to Reply # 7

but there seems to be evidence pointing to this being only PART of a longer list comprised of a little more than a hundred. EVERYDAY IS JUDGEMENT DAY.

not to judge, but WILL compare: the ten commandments aint shit!

but who am i

(((((PEACE)))))

360sunsumyea
Charter member
653 posts
Tue Apr-10-01 02:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "RE: 42 NEGATIVE CONFESSIONS"
In response to Reply # 7

where did these negative confessions come from? i have read that they were part of the osirian drama in the coffin texts, but if you could elaborate...

and about moses and the ten commandments
wasn't he born in kemet? so logic would point to his study there as the source of the 10

but in all fairness, part of afrikan worldview is that there is more than one way of "knowing"

so the dogon have deep knowledge of the stars without ever having studied formally, and modern scientists who never came in contact with the dogon have acquired the same knowledge
so what is the source of the knowledge?

so in this same vein, couldn't moses have had a vision or revelation at some point from where he got the 10?

i guess my ? is what makes the negative conffessions more valid than the ten commandments (aside from the 10 appearing to be incomplete)?

**********THE SIG**********

"If you don't get it, why Outkast is so dope, then accept the fact that you may never understand why. And move on to a group that fits your likes and social situation better"
-bananaman

"the matrix is a system...that system is our enemy. when you're inside, when you look around, what do you see? businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters, the very minds of the people we are trying to save. until we do, these people are still a part of that sysytem, and that makes them our enemy. but you have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged...they are so helplessly dependent on the system, they will fight tooth and nail to protect it...anyone we haven't unplugged is potentially an agent. inside the matrix, they are everyone, and they are no one. we have survived by hiding from them and by running from them. but they are the gatekeepers. they are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys. which means that sooner or later, someone is going to have to fight them."
-morpheus

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Apr-10-01 04:23 AM

37. "Principles of MAAT"
In response to Reply # 35

"where did these negative confessions come from? i have read that they were part of the osirian drama in the coffin texts, but if you could elaborate..."

Actually the term "Negative Confessions" was coined by Egyptologists. Better stated it should be called the "Affirmations of MAAT" or even "Confessions of Innocence (or Righteousness)." Also there is more than just 42 of them. To this day I have seen at least 80 confessions. I read somewhere else that there was at least 147 and more are missing because of the deterioration of texts but I can't validate that claim. I don't have it on me right now but the confessions that I read were from the texts popularly known as the "Coffin Texts" which which were buried with a royal KRST (mummy). I think the popular "42" confessions are the common confessions seen buried in several different tombs overs various dynasties particularly the New Kingdom. I think the texts that have more than 42 (but always include the original "42) are personal additions to them made with each person as the texts and stories were personalized by the deceased. Especially in the New Kingdom common texts can be found with the insertion of the deceased's names in certain common areas.

"i guess my ? is what makes the negative conffessions more valid than the ten commandments (aside from the 10 appearing to be incomplete)?"

A simple and subtle difference between these commandments (besides their number) can be found in their orientation. The Kemetic principle state "I" whereas the commandments state "Thou shalt." Not only does this show how the KAmau identified with divinity but it also shows the great sense of responsiblity exhibited by the KAmau. To personalize a statement shows that one is making a greater effort to do what is being stated than when one is told to do something. What is the "new" trend that current behavioral scientists urge adults to do with children? Make them use "I" statements. When one says "I", one automatically personalizes the information and cognitively feels more liable to being true to it. If one is told not to do something, then it is separate and not OF ONESELF. Therefore breaking someone else's rule is not as significant.

This lack responsibility can also be seen as the result of being a born sinner. If one is born into sin then committing sin is not as serious than one who is born divine. If one is born in sin then it is not a "fall" from divinity (like how Satan fell) but rather a natural part of one's being. Thus one who is not a born sinner has "more to lose" than one who has sin as part of his/her nature.

PEace
Solarus

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

360sunsumyea
Charter member
653 posts
Tue Apr-10-01 07:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
39. "not so innocent"
In response to Reply # 37

>it should be called the "Affirmations of MAAT" or even "Confessions of Innocence (or Righteousness)."

and if one cannot own up to each affirmation? i understand the affirmations in the context of achieving balance in life, but if you mess up does that makes the scales unbalanced forever or can you make up for it. maybe i am trying to understand this w/ a western ideology. i don't know.

**********THE SIG**********

"If you don't get it, why Outkast is so dope, then accept the fact that you may never understand why. And move on to a group that fits your likes and social situation better"
-bananaman

"the matrix is a system...that system is our enemy. when you're inside, when you look around, what do you see? businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters, the very minds of the people we are trying to save. until we do, these people are still a part of that sysytem, and that makes them our enemy. but you have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged...they are so helplessly dependent on the system, they will fight tooth and nail to protect it...anyone we haven't unplugged is potentially an agent. inside the matrix, they are everyone, and they are no one. we have survived by hiding from them and by running from them. but they are the gatekeepers. they are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys. which means that sooner or later, someone is going to have to fight them."
-morpheus

KAS19

Tue Apr-10-01 05:27 AM

38. "RE: 42 NEGATIVE CONFESSIONS"
In response to Reply # 35

when u take a look at the talmud,(the hebrew version of hadith,or tales of men and customs)they tell you that while moses was recieving the laws,there were elders at the base of the mountain that were compiling a book of laws also which we call the talmud.these books are nothing more than handed down tales and customs from their babylonian and hittite rulers(since there is no evidence that israelites were in bondage in egipt.)i think it would be safe to say moses did not recieve visions or revelations because these 42 negative confessions had been around way longer than moses and were already in practice.why would he need a revelation to something that was already part of his and other egiptians lives?

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 07:25 AM

9. "NTU"
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

Among the Bantu-speaking peoples of sub-Saharan Afraka, NTU is LIFE. First it must be noted that "Bantu" does NOT denote a "tribe" or better put, "nation." "Bantu" is the designation given by Western anthropologists and linguists to group a host of different nations (tribes) by common linguistic similarities. There is a large dispersion of persons in this group spread across West, Central, Southern and East Afrika showing that each of these groups share a common ancestor. The term "bantu" is simply the plural form of "muntu" which roughly refers to "people."

I've said before that language is a conduit of culture. When within the Bantu family of languages there are four general categories of everything in existence. For varying Bantu-speaking groups more categories are added but they are all simply extensions of the first basic four: muntu, kintu, hantu, and kuntu. I'll discuss them further later but for right now these categories roughly correspond to : human being, thing, place and time, and modality, respectively.

The point is within all of these aspects of existence, is the determinative stem, NTU.

Here is what Afrakan scholar, Janheinz Jahn, says about NTU in _Muntu_:

"NTU is the universal force as such, which, however, never occurs apart from its manifestations: Muntu, Kintu, Hantu, and Kuntu. NTU is Being itself, the cosmic universal force, which only modern, rationalizing thought (i.e. Western thought) can abstract from its manifestations. NTU is that force in which Being and beings coalesce...

If we said NTU was a force manifesting itself in man, beast thing, place, time, beauty, ugliness, laughter, tears and so on, this statement would be false, for it would imply that NTU was something independent beyond all of these things. NTU is what Muntu, Kintu, HAntu, and Kuntu all equally are. Force and matter are not being united in this conception; on the contrary, they have never been apart.

NTU expresses, not the effect of these forces, but their being. But the forces act continually, and are constantly effective. Only if one could call a halt to the whole univers, if life suddenly stood still, would NTU be revealed."- parentheses mine

PEace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 08:19 AM

10. "Four Categories"
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

As mentioned before the four categories of Bantu languages is : muntu, kintu, hantu, kuntu. The contents of these categories must be understood as FORCES and not SUBSTANCES. They are all forces of equal value. The concept of a "force" also exposes the fact that everything is in motion and nothing is truly "concrete" but vary only on a vibratory level.

The first category is "muntu." I said Muntu "roughly" translates to human beings because for the Bantu- speaking Afrakan (and most Afrakans) there is little or NO separation between the living and the dead (ancestors), the "gods," the orishas of the Yoruba, loas of Haitian voodoo, etc. This category bespeaks of those beings that possess intelligence and/or have the power of the WORD (which will be discussed later).

The next category is Kintu. This category refers to "things" or beings that do not possess a will of their own and only become active on the command of a Muntu. Plants, animals, tools, minerals, clothing etc. all belong in this category. Animals are believed to be "activated" by the command of a Muntu (or God) and thus do not possess free will. They act accordingly and never do they use the power of the WORD.

The next category is Hantu. "Hantu is the force which localizes spatially and temporally every event and every 'motion', for since all beings are force, everything is constantly in motion." - Janheinz Jahn, _Muntu_. Basically space and time fall into this category.

The last category is Kuntu. This category is more difficult to explain to the Westerner as it roughly refers to a "modality." Feelings like sadness, anger, happines, etc. all belong to this category. Also concepts such as beauty, ugliness, and laughter belong to this categories. These are seen as forces that exist and are simply "imbibed" by the Muntu and do not ORIGINATE from the Muntu. This concept can also be seen in Buddhist philosophy and ancient Dravidic thought (through Aryanized Hindu philosophy). During long hours of meditation, feelings of hunger and fatigue are seen as being separate or at least not integral to who the "I" or Self is and therefore can be discarded and ignored. Like in the example given by utamaroho in another post about the Buddhist setting himself on fire and not moving. The physical pain is a Kuntu and not apart of the Muntu and thus can be ignored.

The concept of Kuntu can be seen in the art (visual and spoken) of many Afrakan artists globally through the seeming personification of abstract qualities and and ideals. This also shows why and how concepts such as courage and love are personified and one IMBIBES these qualities through various means, including through trance. We can see that in KMT Kuntu were regularly personified in "dieties" thus expalining the seemingly endless array of the KMTic pantheon of so-called gods and goddesses.

PEace
Solarus

utamaroho

Sun Apr-01-01 12:40 PM

19. "interesting..."
In response to Reply # 10

so wearing those colored shirts freshman year actually had some kind of affect?

any introductory Dogon books, i'm reading a possible debunking of them knowing what sirius was.

(((((PEACE)))))

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 09:04 AM

11. "i am a fish"
In response to Reply # 0

thank you, solarus. i enoyed this whole post from start to finish and all its additions.

==**peace**==

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word

"Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere"
- Amiri Baraka

http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines

BUY MY BOOK- only $6! Inbox me for details

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 09:39 AM

13. "The more and more I read..."
In response to Reply # 0

the more Western I realize I am. Not that I should be surprised but...damn you!

Learning a lot. Keep it up.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Dujeous @ Bowery Ballroom
6 Delancey Street (at Bowery)
w/Addison Groove Project &
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 09:48 AM

14. "Alas,"
In response to Reply # 13

I am too, ...

(I have over 20 years to make up for.)

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 12:39 PM

17. "Question:"
In response to Reply # 14

I have over 23 years of life to make up for as well. BUUUUT being that I am of Irish and German descent, I have had a few thousand of years of Western cultural experience (or even more if u wannna count those damn Indo-Europeans from the Caucus Mountains) passed down to me through my family treein those 23 short years. More and more I am learning about the inherent backwardness of Western culture. So what's my alternative? I've already realized what I need to do: teach my fellow whites about our sick cultural core and the pain it causes. But if I teach them (and myself) to throw off the shackles of Western thought, where do I tell them (myself) to go from there? Should we bring it back to the African cultural core our foolish ancestors shed so long ago? Eastern thought? A mix of the two? Should we find our own new alternative? I know that's something we need to figure out ourselves, but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 03:45 PM

22. "Respond please..."
In response to Reply # 17

I'm very interested in your opinions on this. If you think I should just decide for myself then tell me.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 04:17 PM

23. "I'll be respond soon"
In response to Reply # 22

I've been thinking about this. I haven't responded because I got caught up in other threads (and school work that I've been neglecting to be on this board). But I'll be back

PEace
Solarus

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 08:15 PM

24. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 23

I eagerly await your reply. Seriously.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

utamaroho

Wed Apr-04-01 06:29 AM

25. "GREAT QUESTION"

>>Should we bring it back to the African cultural core our foolish ancestors shed so long ago? Eastern thought? A mix of the two? Should we find our own new alternative?

history should have the good and bad looked at, but the successes and best parts utilized. like the flow of water, you notice our ancestors adapting to better themselves and the culture they were in, WE can do the same. take the best parts of all histories and add to it. cued sadi once: we are the dreams of our ancestors come true. i think we need to realize that we are not the end but a continuation of a lineage that has no age. we need to stop thinking like the temporally retarded europeans and REMEMBER our history instead of searching all over for one to claim. WE have examples to go by and the ancestors require that we build upon those. we are part of the stream, we just need to jump back in. let's dialog PEACE

(((((PEACE)))))

Time's up for giving people "breaks." Either come correct or don't come at all. The time for "trying" is up, either DO or keep your mouth shut. Nobody wants to hear about "attempts". Actions and successes speak for themselves. Solarus & Myself

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 07:22 AM

26. "No doubt..."
In response to Reply # 25

If the Western culture which consumes us is totally destroyed, the slate is clean, is it not? This means we can go anywhere we choose, choosing Non-western elements that suit us and bringing them all together. Another thing I just realized is that, by destroying the Western culture within ourselves, we have simultaneously already replaced it with an alternative. One cannot be "culture-less." To be overly-simplistic, if we destroy our Western worldview based on the individual, what will autmatically have to replace it? A non-Western perspective based on the community. IF we destroy our Western mental separation between mankind and nature/divinity what will automatically replace it? a non-western view of one-ness with nature/the cosmos/divinity. In fact, the ONLY WAY to destroy the former is to replace it with the latter. So I suppose I answered my own question (don't u just love when that happens!), although there are still sooooo many specifics I would love to discuss.

Also, I have another question, regarding whether or not we should eradicate not only all Western thought but all Western technology as well. Actually I think I will start a separate thread on that, so don't answer it here, just check the board later today.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

utamaroho

Wed Apr-04-01 07:26 AM

27. "ok"
In response to Reply # 26

don't make me wait too long, those are sometight points. sparked my thinking like 2000 times reading it. HURRY UP!

(((((PEACE)))))

Time's up for giving people "breaks." Either come correct or don't come at all. The time for "trying" is up, either DO or keep your mouth shut. Nobody wants to hear about "attempts". Actions and successes speak for themselves. Solarus & Myself

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 08:45 AM

28. "Check it out"
In response to Reply # 27

It's there right now. Damn I just did an all-nighter at work but my brain is still abuzz. The boards were lackadiascal for a few days but ish is poppin off now. I thank you all for the challenges.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

DrB

Tue Apr-10-01 03:04 AM

36. "SANKOFA!!!"
In response to Reply # 25

ASHE!!!

Very true... so many people go searching for things and end up more lost than when they started. Learn to adapt your ways but hold true to the values and lessons taught through our elders.

peace&blessings
--how will you ever learn if you never fail... how will you ever fail if you never try!
drB

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 09:33 AM

33. "An Attempt"

Hotep

(About time I at least ADDRESS the question as noone else seems to want to.)

I think that I should first state that my personal focus is on un-Westernizing and re-Afrakanizing AFRAKANS, as this is the only way in which nationbuilding can occur.

I don't believe in trying to Afrakanizing non-Afrakans as that is just another form of imperialism. However considering the often destructive nature of Western ideology, it would seem as if there was a need to "Afrakanize" Westerners to an extent, but this isn't my place to decide nor is it imperative to Afrakan nationbuilding.

The idea of "cultural borrowing" has occurred often throughout history. For instance the spread of Buddhism from India to China through the teachings of Bodhidharma is a gleaming example of one culture accepting the knowledge of another WITHOUT the followed domination of the knowledge-spreading culture. "Cultural borrowing" is, as stated by Kwame Agyei Akoto, " normal between national equals, and is imposed between non-equals." In the case where two groups are national equals, if imposed upon, there would be severe resistance struggles.

The other issue that I think is important is that when it comes down to it any non-Afrakan is ultimately AFRAKAN. Considering that humanity originates from Afraka, really one must consider why one classifies oneself something other than "Afrakan." Of course, land, history, and culture are the main reasons why but truthfully we ALL come from the same source so it boils down to WHY one continues to dissociate oneself from others? I know some are probably flabbergasted to read me say this and are screaming to type in HYPOCRITE, but hold your horses. My reasoning for dissociation is explicitly because according to LAND, HISTORY, and CULTURE, Afrakans are DISTINCTLY different from the Western culture that dominates our lives (worldwide) and there is a EXPLICIT ATTACK/WAR on all that's Afrakan.

But this still doesn't answer the question. Ultimately I would have to say that it is a issue that can only be answered by those of Western culture.

ALso do research on Irish/Celtic history. The generalization that I give of "Western thought," does not seem to have ALWAYS been the case. It seems that it did exist before Christianity but with the dominance and spread of Christianity across Europe, Western thought traveled with it. The Druids of Ireland seemed to have been anything BUT "Western." Some say that they may have been "Afrakan," in terms of their practices and beliefs. There seems to be a connection between the Druids and Sufism. It should provide for some interesting research.

PEace
Solarus

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 10:28 AM

34. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 33

>I think that I should first
>state that my personal focus
>is on un-Westernizing and re-Afrakanizing
>AFRAKANS, as this is the
>only way in which nationbuilding
>can occur.

As it should be. My focus will be on un-Westernizing Europeans.

>
>The idea of "cultural borrowing" has
>occurred often throughout history.
>For instance the spread of
>Buddhism from India to China
>through the teachings of Bodhidharma
>is a gleaming example of
>one culture accepting the knowledge
>of another WITHOUT the followed
>domination of the knowledge-spreading
>culture. "Cultural borrowing" is, as
>stated by Kwame Agyei Akoto,
>" normal between national equals,
>and is imposed between non-equals."

I agree. Borrowing is inevitable and can only lead to improvement by all parties as long as it is done by consent.

>
>The other issue that I think
>is important is that when
>it comes down to it
>any non-Afrakan is ultimately AFRAKAN.
>Considering that humanity originates from
>Afraka, really one must consider
>why one classifies oneself something
>other than "Afrakan."

Agreed.

> My reasoning for dissociation
>is explicitly because according to
>LAND, HISTORY, and CULTURE, Afrakans
>are DISTINCTLY different from the
>Western culture that dominates our
>lives (worldwide) and there is
>a EXPLICIT ATTACK/WAR on all
>that's Afrakan.

Understood.

>
>But this still doesn't answer the
>question. Ultimately I would
>have to say that it
>is a issue that can
>only be answered by those
>of Western culture.

You're absolutely right, although I think it would be useful for Westerners to take note of the advice of non-Westerners before coming to their own decision.

>
>ALso do research on Irish/Celtic history.
> The generalization that I
>give of "Western thought," does
>not seem to have ALWAYS
>been the case. It
>seems that it did exist
>before Christianity but with the
>dominance and spread of Christianity
>across Europe, Western thought traveled
>with it. The Druids
>of Ireland seemed to have
>been anything BUT "Western."
>Some say that they may
>have been "Afrakan," in terms
>of their practices and beliefs.
> There seems to be
>a connection between the Druids
>and Sufism. It should
>provide for some interesting research.

I've occupied a great deal of my time trying to stay in touch with the teachings of the Druids, from mythology to runes to their academia. I am extremely impressed at their (ultimately unsuccessful) efforts to resist Westernization and will definitely continue to do research into it. I'll definitely post something on it soon.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 10:09 AM

15. "will be back..."
In response to Reply # 0

when I feel like reading again...

L.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." ~~anonymous

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

"Ignorance: The Verbal Airborne Disease" (c) my friend Ty

"writer's block is a...I mean, it's like...uh...damn." ~~Me

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 08:22 AM

20. "back..."
In response to Reply # 15

That passage in Queen Afua's book caught my eye as well. I've always considered myself a spiritual person (vs. a religious one) and people think I'm confused or separated from God(dess) simply because I choose not to be locked into one way of understanding Spirit.

I enjoy learning from several branches of faith and seeing the beauty in each of them. And despite any real foundation in any "religion," I have never felt an absence of God(dess) in my life.

So if that's confusion, I'm proud to be confused.

L.
"I am the Invincible Sword Goddess...the desert dragon..." ~~Jen

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

~~~~

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Fri Mar-30-01 10:44 AM

16. "Language and the WORD"
In response to Reply # 0

Hotep

Language is a conduit of culture.

Above I showed how this can be seen specifically among the Bantu-speaking peoples of Afraka. Now I also want to discuss the idea of "determinatives" and the WORD.

Oral traditions are of prime importance to Afrakan cultures because of the power of the WORD. As I mentioned in the Bantu category of Muntu, Muntu was defined as those being that possessed power of the WORD. The WORD refers to the creative lifeforce or power of the universe. It is what and how the world was created and how anything is created. Spoken word is seen as different from written word because written word is a CREATION and not the spontaneous, continual, creative power that cannot be confined on paper. The WORD is not just words.

One of the most prominent factors found in several Afrakan languages (but not limited to Afrakan) is the concept of the "determinative." Determinatives are basically parts of words or phrases that give it a certain meaning. However without the determinative the word or phrases is totally meaningless. We can see the use of determinatives in the KMTic written language, mdw ntr (divine speech) also called hieroglyphics. We can also see the use of determinatives in the above mentioned Bantu languages. NTU is a determinative of the words muntu, kintu, hantu, and kuntu. The individual stems of the previous words are meaningless and nonexistent in regular speech. They are nothing without NTU.

This concept of determinative is a small example of the general value of interdependence and collectivism found withing Afrakan cultures. In English we see that meanings of stem words are changed with the addition of prefixes or suffixes. however the difference is that the stem words are INDEPENDENT of the additions and are INDIVIDUAL.

Now for the WORD. An interesting note is that in the Greek versions of the New Testament (the oldest known versions of the New Testament) the WORD as opposed to word is not distinguished in the say way. Two separate words with entirely different meanings are used to portray "the WORD" (of God) and "word" (of man). The WORD is translated into Greek as "Logos." (I can't remember how "word" was written in Greek right now.) According to Webster, "Logos" means:

Pronunciation: 'lO-"gäs, -"gOs
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural Lo·goi /-"goi/
Etymology: Greek, speech, word, reason -- more at LEGEND
Date: 1587
1 : the divine wisdom manifest in the creation, government, and redemption of the world and often identified with the second person of the Trinity
2 : reason that in ancient Greek philosophy is the controlling principle in the universe

"Logos" was a concept borrowed from who else... KMT!!!

Among the Dogon (a non-Bantu speaking group of West Afraka), the WORD is called Nommo. According to the Dogon sage Ogotemmeli, "The Nommo is water and heat. The vital force that catties the word issues from the mouth in a water vapour which is both water and word." This DIRECTLY corresponds to the ancient KMTic story of creation where the Creator (varyingly called Ptah (craftsman), Khepera(scarab beetle that represented creation and/or the Creator), and Atum (first being. noticed its the same as the current word "atom," the basic building block of life)) speaks Tefnut and Shu into existence after being alone. Tefnut refers to the moisture or yin principle of the world and Shu is heat or the yang principle. From Shu and Tefnut all other "things" were created.

This also exposes the importance of the naming process in traditional Afrakan societies. Speaking is the basic element of creation. Anything in existence has been spoken into existence. However, one's words have various levels of power. Thus one not experienced or knowledgeable of the power of the WORD possesses a lower level of power than one well-versed in the WORD. REMEMBER the WORD is not simply "words" but it could also be compared to concepts such as prana, chi, ki etc. Thus the priest or healer typically possess greater abilities at using the WORD than the lay person.

PEace
Solarus

utamaroho

Sun Apr-01-01 06:22 AM

18. "what do ytou think about this?"
In response to Reply # 16

after reading ptah hotep and the views towards speech and wrath, what are some of the things that this culture's speech is attached to that make it difficult for one to come into speaking "mdw ntr" ?

personally i see speech and thought so realted that at times its hard to distinguish the two. "what" people say is directly related to how they think. "why" people say the things they do is related to how they think. and "how" people say things aer realated to how they think.

someone saying something that they know isnt true will justify their claim for certain reasons, vs. staying quiet. i think we know all too well how hard it is to be quiet at times, but how important it is to do. the whole "devil's advocate" practice, or "rhetorical ethic" has to go. there's no reason for them AT ALL, but for whatever reason these are two ideas prized within this culture.

listening to people talk to each other i notice a certain "acceptance" of these practices. i make it a point to challenge it when it steps my way, and ercognize people not wanting to talk to me, ESPECIALLY these people on the phone i talk to everyday. they expect lies and want to hear something that "sounds good". they say the truth hurts, but what other way is there. this place has gooten to the point where truth has been compromised and nobody gives it a second thought! sad.

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Tue Apr-03-01 02:06 PM

21. "RE: AFRAKAN CONSCIOUSNESS"
In response to Reply # 0

If we take the meaning of the word "psychology", which the west has distorted and reduced to "the scientific study of human behavior", we find the first western flaw in science. The word "psyche" was derived from the Greek language by way of afrikan origin. The word is associated with the goddess Psyche, and to the Greeks meant "soul." According to Massey(1974a) in his "Book of the Beginnings", the word "psyche" is actually derived from the egyptian language in that "Khe" is the soul, and "Su" is she: Su-Khe. Su-Khe embodies the nature and meaning of the Greek goddess, Psyche. Without the article "p", the Egyptian word "Sakhu" means the understanding, the illuminator, the eye and soul of the being, that which inspires. From this liguistic analysis, we find that not only is the study of the human mind offered to us by the Greeks by way of the Motherlan, but the terminology as well.

The distortion of the Kemetic definition changed the study of the "soul" to the study of "behavior". Because of this, we find a whole array of consequences which have developed and serve as th basis for many of the problems that we remain plagued with today.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 05:05 PM

29. "God in African Belief PtI"
In response to Reply # 0

from http://www.geocities.com/omo_sango_oya:

God in African Belief

The African Worldview of God and Its Expression of the Divine Essence of All

By Awotunde Ifaseeyin Karade
November 1999

Omi Tutu Ona Tutu Ile Tutu Tutu Esu Tutu Orisa
Mojubar Olodumare, Mojubar Olorun, Mojubar Olofi
Mojubar ibaiye Egun gbogbo Egun ibaiye
Mojubar Bablorisa, Iyalorisa Oluwa ara Orun
Mojubar gbogbo Iku mbeleshe Olodumare ibaiye Orun
Ki nkan ma se Baba Ifa Karade
Kosi Iku, Kosi Arun, Kosi Ofo
Kosi Idina, Kosi Fitibo, Kosi Egba, Kosi Eyo, Kosi Ese
Aiku Babawa Aiku Iyawa
ASE

The African Concept of God
One of the things that has most crippled a true understanding of African religion is the projection of the Africanist's misunderstandings of African belief upon the rest of the world as a universal understanding to be taken as a standard of measurement for all things deemed true or false about things African and African people in general. What then is the Africanist? The esteemed elder, and the very author of the Africentric ideology, Dr. Molefe Kete Asante basically defines the Africanist as one that is not Africentric or African-centered but Eurocentric in their approach when studying Africa, her people, and philosophies. The damage of this approach magnifies when we look at the fact that many of our own Black professors, educators, and religious leaders ape this approach only helping to further distort and dismantle their own cultural-spiritual heritage.

The Africanist is one that, even though they may claim to be religious or spiritual, and in many cases considered "authorities" on the subject, will usually take an aspiritual method in their understanding of African beliefs and practices. The irony is explosive in that many of the methods and concepts they use to validate and justify their own Western belief systems have been set in place within African ways of life thousands of years before Western religion could take on its rudimentary form. The egocentricism and ethnocentrism that these writers express will not allow them to see the same things of value in African belief that they actually use in other forms to justify Biblical and Quranic thought with. .

Even though it may be true that much of the Western understanding of the Creator Essence of the worlds was taken from Africans, I wish to make it plain and clear that the concepts are not the same. Here we will explore the some basic differences according to African belief itself..

Just what is the true African belief in God as expressed by Africans themselves? Once this is shown, what is Man's relationship to this Supreme Essence? It must be first stated that Africans all over the continent and throughout the Diaspora have always expressed a strong and systematic belief in One God, the Soul Essence of the Universe. I use the term systematic here to refer to a complete set of beliefs tied into a larger construct as expressed by that particular culture. These belief sets are replete with their own moral and ethical laws, divine directives, spiritual entities,concept of the One God, and scriptures (whether oral or written). For instance, the Africans of ancient Kemet called the Creator Neter (Ntr, Netcher, Netjer). The Nilotic Sudanese say Kwoth. The Yoruba of southwest Nigeria say Olodumare and Olorun interchangeably. The Buganda of Uganda express this entity as Katonda which means "The Creator of All Things in Existence". The Ashanti of Ghana, descendants of the great Ghanian kingdoms, say Mawu-Lisa, which expresses the Creator in Its fullest - as male and female energy combined. Finally, the Dogon of Mali say Amma, which suggests a deeper kinship with ancient Kemet than most have admitted.

One may immediately suggest that the only difference between the Biblical idea of God and the African one is in the difference of names due to languages. I say that upon a little further investigation one will see an even deeper difference that goes beyond just surface name difference right into the realm of concept essentials. Symbols (of which letters of the alphabet are in that family) are set to convey particular ideas and concepts. We find in Kemet that one symbol (misnomered hieroglyphics) can mean over a thousand things without contradiction. Once again, this came from the Kemetic natural understanding of God and Nature. In most cultures, people embody their concept of God in the names, accolades, and attributes they assign this Omnipotent Entity. When you call upon or mention the name of a particular people's God there are certain images and meanings that usually come to mind. Usually these meanings are an intricate part of the culture that is expressing the concept. For instance, the concept that reinforces the Biblical Yahweh and the Quranic Allah is that of a totalitarian, totally male, and patriarchal god that shows favor to men (especially men that were shepherds) and "he" is jealous and vengeful.

The time-honored wisdom of our African Ancestors would not allow such thinking even among those African societies that tended to be a bit patrifocal. In fact, as mentioned specifically about the Ashanti, most African names for God convey the idea that this Essence is both female and male - two sides of One Supreme Energy working in harmony to produce the whole of creation itself. Nothing like this exists within the Western mode of thought pertaining to religion and philosophy. The view and true knowledge that God could not be all male is what led to the esteemed status of the general African woman and the very powerful offices such as that of the Queen -Mothership and High Priestess in areas such as Kemet, Yorubaland, and Ashantiland just to name a few.

Among most Africans, the very power and word of God is expressed as a divine feminine energy. It is said among the Yoruba that the male ruler of the holy city of Oshogbo is to be given spiritual authority to rule by the Orisa (Goddess/Power in Nature) Oshun. Oshun is the feminine energy of fertility, wealth, and unconditional love towards all humans. She possesses the keys to spiritual communication and the effective use of that communication in governing our lives and the world. In the story of Ausar (Osiris) and Auset (Isis) of ancient Kemet it was the divine words of Auset (female power in Nature) that "resurrected" Ausar. Nothing becomes legitimate among the Ashanti of Ghana without the spiritual and political approval of the Queen Mother of the nation. This seems to be a universal pattern among those African societies that have remained true to their indigenous forms of government and worship and virtually unheard of where Christianity and Islam have put strangle holds on the culture.

None of this means that Africans worship two Gods - one male and one female. It simply means that thousands of years before the Chinese Taoists taught of these metaphysical principles in terms of yin and yang, the Africans along the Hapi (Nile), Oya (real name of the Niger River), and their kinspeople had mapped out the universe and intuited this divine knowledge and expressed it in their symbols, metaphors, parables, sacred histories, scriptures and sacred rituals. The rights that women in Western society have fought and dies for were a given to women in African society who based their understanding of spiritual phenomenon upon careful intuitional observation of the cosmos that is without and within. This spiritual understanding was also reflected in their governmental policies. For instance, women truly began to be ordained into the Christian ministry in the 1950s; almost 2000 years after the founding of their religion!

Therefore, the Goddess concept is very important in Africa and within African belief. Sister Diedre Badejo, in her book Osun, implies that part of this understanding comes from the "mystery and power of the womb". The womb is the origin as well as the formative, but we have believed for thousands of years that God created a man and then from his rib a woman was created. One can easily see how this, and the concept of a totalitarian all male God can cause such misery and aggressive destruction in the world. Let's look at it logically. If your concept of God is infused with anti-woman sentiment then you are going to constantly view the woman as something to be controlled and owned. There is a constant battle there. Now, if the woman truly does represent Nature then you will be raising children that want to fight and subdue the woman, hence Nature.

Another major point that obscures a true understanding and acceptance of African beliefs is the falsified Judeo-Christian-Islamic propagation that Africans worship many gods and that they have no real sense of the concept of One God that created all in existence. Within this worldview is the falsified notion that not only do Africans worship many gods, but that they also worship trees, rocks, rivers, etc. As a spiritually Africentric student, I am often saddened by the fact that so many of our own well meaning and intelligent African people allow so many tricks to be played on them about their own culture. One must understand that different cultures develop the approach the same problems and mysteries in life in different ways. These “different ways” are what we recognize as culture or cultural specifics. What is true for one group may not be true for another. To put this further, one cannot understand African religion with Western religion as the measuring rod of truth and vice versa. Therefore, we will attempt to explore the African concept of various “gods and goddesses” as expressed by Africans themselves with a special emphasis on the neteru of Kemet, and the Orisha of the system of worship called Ifa by the Yoruba of Southwest Nigeria.

As pertains to Kemet (Ancient Egypt) let us erase one major misconception. When studying Kemet we always run across someone saying that our ancestors of this great African nation worshipped the Sun. Since Kemet serves as a classical African civilization, it is imperative that we make reference to her whether we are speaking of religious, political, economic, and other life sustaining institutions when reconstructing our lives around an Africentric paradigm. By any means, the Sun, contrary to the popular Western misunderstanding, was not worshipped as “the” God by the Kemetians. Early on in their development they saw the Sun as the most powerful visible testament of God’s omnipotence and omnipresence. It is the Sun that sustains life, thus maintaining God’s creations. We can look at it as the Sun being God’s “Lieutenant of the Life-Force”, and the Africans of old saw no problem in respecting and reverencing its power. It is through the observation of the Sun that we get a glimpse of God’s energy - Its omnipotence and glory. The Sun was not worshipped as God, but recognized and reverenced as the symbolic manifestation of Its life-sustaining power.

Western anthropologists, archaeologists, and egyptologists, in their usual “brilliance”, have confused reverence with worship. It must be said that they did not care to get it right either. The one word “worship” put in place where it should be more properly understood as “reverence”, used to distort our Ancestor’s true concept of their relationship with Nature and spirit forces, has caused so much academic and cultural criminality towards the descendants of these spiritual concepts. Africans have never worshipped anything besides the One God of the Worlds, but the myth goes on about the African concept of God being polytheistic. Here we can see the total inadequacy of the English language to express non-Western spiritual concepts in full.

Polytheism has come to mean in Western theological academia that there is more than One God being worshipped; all being accorded the same worship as the One God. Now, I am the first one to say that Africans do not have a monotheistic concept of God either. That is a Western concept that does not give due reverence to all of God’s creation.

Most of us come out of some form of Western religion or philosophy into African religion. That is why we must keep in mind that when studying African belief we are actually studying a belief that contrasts greatly with the Western beliefs we come from and that these contrasts are mainly due to the different worldviews of the two culture groups. To illustrate this point I would like to borrow two very profound concepts from two of the foremost fighters in our cultural and spiritual liberation struggle. Elder Marimba Ani, in her classic Yurugu, infallibly argues that there is a certain essence that drives the European in her/his cultural arrangement, or better termed cultural aggression. This essence has much to do with how and where the European essentially developed. In this, she is in line with the great Ancestor Dr. Cheik Anta Diop’s “Two Cradle theory” that describes the essential warlike and male-dominated nature of the European (including the Biblical Hebrews/Semites) in terms of how they had to develop. Ani uses the Swahili term asili, which means “the developmental germ/seed of a culture”. The cultural asili of the European is most definitely expressed in the culture’s idea of God and their religious vehicles that teach this idea.

Shekem Ur Shekem Ra Un Nefer Amen, king of the Ausar Auset Society and author of Metu Neter Vols. I and II, goes a bit further and informs us that when comparing predominately Black societies with those that are predominately white one must also approach this issue from a psychological level. Amen states that when comparing these civilizations we are actually looking at one group that thinks and expresses from a right and/or balanced brained perspective, and one from a predominately left brained perspective that is out of alignment with spiritual truth. The right brain is mainly responsible for intuition, a key for true spiritual revelation. The left brain is responsible for such things as writing, competition, war, and general aggression. An imbalance of either can cause disaster. In Kemet, and other classical African civilizations (whether in Africa or not) we see the epitome of the balance needed to create a highly spiritual, and yet materially successful civilization as such.

The overbearing left-brained thinking of the Biblical Hebrews is a main reason for their desacralization of Nature. We must understand this if we are to gain any grasp of how to even identify an African belief system. For instance, in the Bible Nature is to be subdued. The man is given dominion over Nature, and is set to rule it according to Genesis. Western philosophy further teaches that Nature is personified as feminine. This being a universal cultural expression, the picture becomes a bit clearer. Elder Ani states “The divine feminine is associated with the fecundity of the earth, and the centrality of the cyclical order and the workings of Nature in our lives”. It is evident that both African and European ethos recognize Nature as a feminine energy, but Elder Ani’s statement shows the diametrical difference in the African projection of that understanding verses the European one. This leads right into the core of the African concept and expression of the One God.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Wed Apr-04-01 05:08 PM

30. "God in African Belief Part II"
In response to Reply # 29

from http://www.geocities.com/omo_sango_oya:

God in African Belief Part II

A Theological Overview of God in African Belief

What do Africans find in Nature that they also find within themselves, and what is the spiritual significance of such concepts? In Kemet, we run into the problematic term neteru, which the Egyptologists have misdefined as “gods”. Even E.A. Wallis Budge had to admit to the danger of translating this term as “gods” (“Book of the Dead”; Budge). Schwaller de Lubicz in his Temple in Man defines the neteru as “powers of nature” which is closer to an Africentric view. Not only are they powers within Nature, but they are also powers within the human nature. This was the profound teaching of the sem (priests) in the temples of ancient Kemet. These Africans along the Hapi (Nile) not only viewed themselves as one with Nature, but also as mini mirrors of the larger universe. Ra Un Nefer Amen tells us that the faculty within Man associated with elevating the lower base nature to the Divine Self is called Ausar from the Kemetic theological perspective. These powers and concepts did not disappear with the fall of Kemetic civilization to Europeans and Arabs. They survive transaharanly and Diaspora wide among such groups as the Akan, Congolese, and the Yoruba of Southwest Nigeria.
The Yoruba term Orisa (pronounced oh-ree-sha) is sometimes translated as “selected conscious”. Each Orisa represents one of the various states of consciousness within Nature and the human being. For instance, Obatala represents clarity and purity of heart, thought, and intention, but it is Ogun that clears away the excess rubbish that blocks our roads to upliftment, hence true success. But none of the Orisa function in any capacity if they are not in harmony with the will of Olodumare (God). Among the Buganda it is said that Katonda (God) functions Its powers through the lubaales. The Igbo call their emissaries of Chukwu (God) ayaana. All three of these concepts represent that the One God’s works are manifest variously, and further underscores the fact that God’s power cannot be compartmentalized and rationalized as is often done in Western religious theology. Elder Ani states “The task of the European theologian was to give European religion the shape of European philosophy, so as to enhance its value”(p.182).

According to the Eurocentric worldview, belief and spiritual experience are non-values, or at least less valuable than European rationalistic philosophy. Not wanting to reject or neglect their Greco-Roman heritage, they included Greek philosophy in their theology to rationalize and reason religion. Thus, their left-brained thinking caused them to concretize spirituality in their religious formulation. As the great Yoruba poet and dramatist Wole Soyinka stated in an interview: People do not realize how unrealistic christianity is.

The African concept of God allows for the harmonious interaction between Man and her environment as expressed in Nature, as opposed to the Western concept of a constant battle with Nature (just as they say there is a constant Battle of the Sexes). Sadly enough, this anti-Nature sentiment seems to have become the very drive behind their technology which serves many good purposes, but is destroying the very world around us due to their imbalanced worldview (remember right brained and left brained thinking). Who else could have thought of a way to burn a hole in the sky? Science has been falsely deified and made the measure of all things "true and real". This is guised under the Western pseudo-universal way-of-knowing, which is commonly known to us as reason and rationalization (in a very non-spiritual and concrete form). Rationalization, more than not, includes a more physical and anti-spiritual mode of recognizing truth, or what is perceived to be the truth in the rational tradition. Those wishing to truly understand the Africentric perspective of spirituality must keep this in mind. This Euro way-of-knowing has little to no respect of the metaphysical realm. The metaphysical realm is that invisible realm of origin from whence all physical phenomenon arises. From the lack of spiritual cultivation, the West has deified the physical side of the equation. Of course, I am not in any way implying that the physical should be neglected. I am only saying that you cannot worship the creation as the highest end while ignorantly neglecting that creation’s origin - the Creator Itself. Do not worship the messenger and miss the message for the messenger tends to convey the message imperfectly and you will miss the point.

The Orisa in Relation to Man and Creation

As mentioned earlier, Africans on the continent proper and throughout the Diaspora have different names for the Creator, but more importantly share a unifying concept of Man’s relationship to the Creator. Africans from the original Anu who produced the original Kemetic dynasties to the Ashanti of present day Ghana, have always believed in and drew strength from the fact that the Supreme Source of All works through the very creation that emanates from It. Westerners and Arabs could not understand this in the processes of their rampage, pillage, sack, and in many cases plagiarization, and utter desecration of Mother Africa, her people, and culture. If it is God that works through the creation, and Africans were the first to understand this (which seems quite plausible with them being the original people), then suffice it to say that Africans in no way could worship the creation itself. Africans have reverence for creation and Nature, but they do not and could not worship them. I once heard a high ranking Catholic priest at a local university say that Catholics do not pray to the saints and statues of saints, nut that they in fact pray through them. Why is it that they can not use this same understanding when they come into contact with indigenous forms of worship such as African and Native American belief?
Just what is the philosophy behind the Ifaic concept of God? How is it that the Orisa express the totality of the One Ruler of the Worlds? And what, if any, are the Orisa’s connection to the Neteru of ancient Kemet? Chief Baba Ifa Karade in his monumental Ojise: Messenger of the Yoruba Tradition states on page 113:
The Orisa are the elemental entities consisting of divine creative essence and nature substance called in combination ase (pronounced ah-shay). They are perpetual, continual, self generative and self-illuminating. They possess the ability to integrate their inherent energy-ase into the more physical forms of nature such as rivers, trees, mountains, animals, human beings, and so forth.
I gather from Baba Ifa’s instructions that the Orisa are the unseen motivating forces in the cosmos that have been here since the dawn of creation, and before. In nature, we see the Orisa as natural phenomena. In humans, we see the Orisa as different aspects of the Creator (called Olodumare in Yoruba). In respect to humans, in their contractive aspect they are latent variegated energies, but in their expansive state they are manifested personalities, psychic abilities, trance abilities, or simply put, energies that have taken on some degree of form. They are within the human as different levels of potential spiritual expression.

The Yoruba teach the Orisa originally came to earth (aiye) as emissaries of Olodumare to set the earth evolution in motion. They were to live the human experience in order to better speak to the multifaceted human condition. Thus, they along with the Ancestors, have to set the guidelines, according to the will of Olodumare, of righteous living. Thus, the human evolution is to be a divine mission according to Yoruba theology. Human evolution should be as much a replica of divine example as possible. A careful study of Ifa divination will show us a glimpse of the unfolding of the divine plan according to what Baba Ra Fagbemi calls the Opon Principle. Baba Ra states simply that the Opon Principle is likened unto the Law of Cycles. You must study the divine cycles of the cosmos in order to attempt to study the plan of God. It is like reading Nature, which, of course, means the reader, has to be in tune with Nature Herself.

The sacred scriptures of the Yoruba, called the Odu Ifa, say this of the human condition in the Holy Odu Irosun Iwori: Surely, human beings were put here to do good. As stated, the Orisa are within Man, and it is a part of Man’s destiny and duty to tap within that divine spirit-well that Olodumare created all humans with called ase. Baba Ifa Karade teaches us that several of the major Orisa can be likened unto the Eastern concept of chakras. And why not? It is well known, but not highly publicized by Western science, that there are energy centers within the human body that can be opened up to receive and express divine metaphysical enlightenment. It is also well known that many people have been healed with the proper knowledge of how these centers work in harmony with the Divine Plan. Now if these energy centers have always existed within the human (God is, always was, and will always be) then it is obvious that those cultures that first recognized this fact are going to label them according to their own language. And it is a known fact that Blacks in Africa and India came to this conclusion and taught it thousands of years before the current Hindus of India codified it. So we find that Baba Ifa is well on point in this concept.

Let it be known that the Orisa are not something to simply be understood intellectually. We must realize that these are spiritual realities to be experienced within our very beings. This is the understanding of Africans and all other earth-centered cultures (Native Americans, Eastern religions, etc.) that allowed them to remain in such a harmonious state with Nature and God. The Yoruba call upon and give praise for the divine presence and manifestation of these latent forces within the human experience. Real spiritual truth is to be experienced and the Orisa exist to lead us to that truth.

Within the African worldview there is no concept of a devil that is in constant battle with God. Only through colonization and enslavement have Africans adopted such a notion, and in some instances they have infused it into their own indigenous belief systems. Africans believe that Father-Mother God created all things in the universe, but that the creation itself, through time evolution, is not perfect. Imperfection cannot help but bring about conditions that misrepresent God’s divine plan. Hence, there exist negating forces throughout the universe called the ajogun by the Yoruba. From my understanding of Ifa theology, Olodumare did not create the negating forces. Olodumare created humans that are not perfect that created the conditions that would allow negating forces to germinate and then manifest. They have ultimately found their place within the balance that Olodumare rested the worlds upon. These negating forces seem to be emanations of the evil we see in the world. It is held that Olodumare is essentially good, but it is through the human faculty of free choice that evil comes about. There is no the devil made me do it blame-shift philosophy in African belief. Africans, due to their right view of God, have never felt unworthy of the Divine Mercy. He/she who errs in African society is not a sinner all alone going to a place called hell, but they are simply out of balance and conversion to a better way of life does not require the Western concept of repentance or the admittance of any degree of worthlessness. What it does require is a true effort for better understanding. As pertains to Man being in a state of imbalance, the African sage Amen em Ope of Kemet says that God is in Its perfection. Man is in his/her inadequacy. This is not a sinner for life or born in sin inadequacy, but it is simply based on the idea of Man’s failure to reach the divine inner recesses of his/her soul where his/her destiny imprint resides - God’s individual blueprint for you to be guided by Ancestral wisdom (Akan, Congo, Ifa, etc.).

The Yoruba teach that the human chooses a destiny in the heavens (Orun) even before the physical conception process takes place. It is through the birthing process that Man forgets this destiny, hence the first step towards misalignment. Through Ifa divination (dafa) the human can access the true intent of the spirit realm, and retrieve that destiny in order that stability may preside over one’s life. It is the human’s responsibility to develop genuine, gentle, and divine character called Iwa Pele to live truth and contribute to the balance of the world. In the aforementioned proverb by Amen em Ope, he warns against human egotism, boastfulness, and self-righteousness. On the other hand, Paul exerts his new Jewish sect to be perfect, thus presenting an unrealistic challenge to someone he earlier says is born in sin! It seems that Christianity has often presented its adherents with the proverbial carrot on the stick syndrome. It is dangling right there in front of you, but it seems as if you can never grasp the nourishment that it purports to offer. On the other hand, African religion teaches us about the world as it is, and how to deal efficiently with that reality by developing Iwa Pele.

We are like roses that have grown from concrete. One of the greatest miracles to date is that African people are still here after the rapes, lynchings, burnings, brickings, floggings, neighborhoods being terrorized by the US government genocidal programs, and the like. We are still here fighting; trying to gain a semblance of what it means to be African in such a society. African spirituality reveals that these are trying times for African people worldwide. But it is also a time of re-awakenings. We are returning to tradition and becoming the better for it. If we return to tradition as a unified front, there will be no more need for singing and marching, begging and feet shuffling. Our own African traditions have all the answers we need to get back to our original grandeur.Let us continue in song, dance,prayer, study, and daily struggle to raise up the divine spirits of those that have come before us. Sankofa.

ASE, ASE, ASE O!

Select Bibliography

Amen, Ra Un Nefer, Meteu Neter Vol I, Khamit Corp. Publishing, Brooklyn, New York 1990

Ani, Marimba, Yurugu, Africa World Press, Trenton, New Jersey, 1994

Asante, Molefi Kete, Afrocentricity, Africa World Press, Inc. Trenton, New Jersey, 1988

Badejo, Diedre, Osun Seegesi: The Elegant Deity of Wealth, Power, and Feminity, Africa World Press, Trenton, New Jersey 1996

Diop, Cheik Anta, African Origins of Civilization, Lawrence Hill Books, Chicago, Il 1974

Diop, Cheik Anta, Civilization or Barbarism, Lawrence Hill Books, Chicago, Il 1991

de Lubicz, R.A. Schwaller, Temple in Man, Autumn Press Inc., Rochester, Vt 1977

Epega, Afolabi & P.J. Neimark, Sacred Ifa Oracle, Harper Collins, New York, Ny 1995

Karade, Baba Ifa, Handbook of Yoruba Religious Concepts, Samuel Weiser, York Beach, Me 1994

Karade, Baba Ifa, Ojise: Messenger of the Yoruba Tradition, Samuel Weiser, York Beach, Vt 1996

Karade, Baba Ifa, Imoye: A Definition of the Ifa Tradition, Athelia Henrietta Press, Brooklyn, Ny 1999

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Thu Apr-05-01 06:37 AM

31. "great post..."
In response to Reply # 30

I've been reading a lot on religion and spirituality lately, and the more I read about African ways of knowing God, the more justified I feel.

Despite my mother's misgivings in my interest in Buddhism and other faiths over the years, Christianity never felt "right" to me. And, having very little real experience with any particular church, I'm glad I've had the freedom to explore that side of my life w/out much opposition.

Thanks for the information.

L.

"I am the Invincible Sword Goddess...the desert dragon..." ~~Jen

~~~~

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Fri Apr-06-01 03:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
32. "up. learn to swim."
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for reading. I love you.

"y'all funny...like that time on looney tunes when the sheep and the coyote clocked out for the day and just chilled.
airybody will be back at each other w/ the guns an knives tomorrow but this was peace." - poetx

"What are you but my reflection, who am I to judge or strike you down?" - MJK

In Rotation:
Sade - Lovers Rock
LTJ Bukem - Journey Inward
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
Beatles - Revolver
JayDee - Welcome To Detroit

don't be fkn evil.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Apr-17-01 09:11 AM

40. "Ifa (Spiritual System of the Yoruba)"
In response to Reply # 0

Principles of Ifa

These basic principles of the ancient religion of Ifa are here presented so that the reader may have a ground base to work from for further exploration and self elevation. In no way is this information presented as all conclusive. Beyond these principles there is much to be learned - much to be experienced.

Olodumare as the Supreme Creator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within the spiritual system of Ifa there is the firmly held belief that there is one Supreme Essence, generally referred to as God, that controls the very destiny of the unniverse and the things therein. There is no reality higher than Olodumare and it is to this Essence that we must submit our beings; for it is Olodumare that lays out the destiny (ayanmo) of all human beings. Thus, alignment with Olodumare's original intentions for us is the ultimate spiritual balance. The Yoruba do not believe that Olodumare is some entity to be "feared" as is taught in Judeo-Christian thought, but It is to be harmonized within our very beings and manifested for the good of the world as sanctioned in Odu Ifa. So, Ifa teaches us to experience God and live the righteousness which is the result of this divine drama. There is nothing higher than Olodumare. There is no thing outisde of Olodumare. All things good originate with Olodumare, and thus, all things must so return.

The Orisa:Olodumare's Expression in Creation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ifa teaches that Olodumare is not alone in Its active aspect within the cosmos and in the lives of Man. Thus, in primordial times, Olodumare emitted the irunmole/Orisa for the workings of the cosmic dynamic. The Orisa are manifest on several levels. They are the dynamics of nature, the spiritual levels and various temperaments of humans, and the very spiritual attributes of Olodumare. All persons received into Ifa find out, through divination, just "who" their patron Orisa is. What is meant by "patron" Orisa is that the craft of divination ascertains which particular Orisa speaks the most through a particular person's being. There is a female Orisa (Orisa Iya) and a masculine Orisa (Orisa Baba)that crown one's being, but there will be one Orisa that "speaks" more dominant than the other. So in reality we can say that a person's Orisa is the attribute that he/she most shares with Olodumare.

Divination: Processing God's Word

Divination is the process by which the Will and Messages of the Divine are summoned by the priests, priestesses, and general worshiper within Ifa. Divination is concerned with revealing the best solutions to questions and problems concerning the world. In fact, it is the most ancient way of commmuning with God. All pre-Christian cultures of the world have used some form of divination (even the Hebrews of the Old Testament). The African methods of divination (dafa, merindilogun, opele, obi abata) are time-proven methods that have revealed the true plan of God for Man and the Universe. There are various levels of divination employed by devotees of Ifa. Therefore, ALL adherents, from the Babalawo to the aborisa, have access to God's eternal plan. The results of divination can warn the seeker of impending danger, obstacles standing in one's path of progress, and negative energies that may abound.

In this case, divination will also show EXACTLY what needs to be done to ward off such negativity and live in peace. Divination also shows the peace and blessings possible in one's life, and what needs to be done to procure and/or keep these gifts. Thus, Ifa, as a complete way of life in and of itself, teaches that just because good is forcaste does not mean it is automatic. We must work to claim what has been deemed ours.

The Sacred Odu

Intricately connected to the concepts and workings of Ifa divination systems are the Odu. The Odu are the 256 sacred books of the religion of Ifa. Ifa teaches that everything in existence has an Odu. In light of this truth, we can view the Odu as "plans" or "blueprints" within the universe. They are all parts of a larger puzzle that we call the "world". The Odu are what Olodumare, the Orisa, and the Ancestors speak to us through. The Odu are the cosmic realities of Olodumare's metaphysical expressions. They are the voice of Olodumare and each time we view reality we are viewing a physical manifestation of the invisible realm of Truth.

The Ancestors

The Ancestors are the divine lights, though physically deceased, that remain strongly connected to their living relations. Not all of the deceased are eligible to be divine Ancestors. Only those that have displayed piety and enrichment upon earth are considered worthy of invocation by the adherents of Ifa. Thus, they receive the name Egunwa which means "Ancestors of divine character".

The Ancestors are the most concerned with our lives and that we be the best we can be in this world so that we may exuberate truth in this life and divine reward in the hereafter. It is believed that blessings come to those that reverently remember their Ancestors. That is why one of the first things done within African spiritual practice is to set up a personal Ancestral Shrine. These shrines are used for prayer and invocation focal points.

Africans in America have generally lost the concept of Ancestral Reverence. As a consequence, we have not received the fullness of our blessings. Now the time has come that the info is abundant about Ancestral Reverence, how and why it is done, and the consequences of not involving the Ancestors in our every endeavor. And because the African worldview of time is circular, as opposed to the Western linear concept, the living , the unborn, and the Ancestors are a part of the same spiritual world. So, if this is the African worldview of time, being thus 360 degrees complete, the absence of either of the three aforementioned factors means incompletion and alienation. Now that we know of our own ways of worship the Ancestors just may judge us a bit harder. Do we really want to meet the wrath of Ancestral retribution?

Orunmila Bara Agbonniregun

Orunmila is the accepted codifier or prophet /sage of the religion of Ifa. Born of humble parentage in the holy city of Ile Ife on Itase Hill in what is now Southwest Nigeria, Orunmila was deemed by Olodumare as the messenger of the ancient faith system. The metaphysical knowledge contained in the sacred Odu Ifa, the scriptures that he codified, had existed long before Orunmila, but it was he that was sent by Olodumare to set the world condition right by organizing this profound spiritual wisdom into one complete system. Afterward Orunmila taught over many parts of Africa, spreading the art of divination wherever he resided.

It is believed that Orunmila incarnates whenever the human condition has become greatly unbalanced. The great sage taught precepts of moderation, right living, spiritual transcendence, keeping a firm and stable family, commitment to vows, and many more of the things in life that will provide the human with the tools for what he called the "good condition". One of the most profound lessons the sage taught us was lessons against fear. It seems that Orunmila saw fear as unnatural and an imposition upon the human, whom he viewed and deemed as divine by nature.The Yoruba view Orunmila with as much reverence as any of the other "recognized" prophets of the promoted religions of the world.

Ebo (Sacrifice)

The issue of blood sacrifice is probably the most controversial topics concerning African spirituality. The fact is that one of the reasons for its continuance within Ifa is because of its time-proven curative and solving effects. Sacrifice has been known the world over by indigenous cultures for its positive results. One of the major misconceptions about Ifa is that the whole religion is obssessed with blood/animal sacrifice. Little emphasis is ever placed on the other forms of sacrifice (adimu-fruits, etc.) that do not require blood by anthropologists and historians. In fact, I would say that 85-90% of the sacrifices done are non-blood letting sacrifices.

Most earth-centered (and some not so earth centered) traditions of the world have and do practice blood sacrifice. Even in the ultra-orthodox Islamic world there is an annual blood sacrifice. The bottom line remains that we cannot allow any outside influence from Western religion, with their own motives in mind, to deter us from this time-honored rite. It works. It worked for our Ancestors. It has worked for me.

Man as an Essentially Divine Being

The Odu scriptures say that human beings were sent to earth to do good. In the scriptures they are called eniyan which literally translates as "chosen ones". This choseness refers to ALL humans and not a select nationality or ethnic group. Ifa considers Man chosen because of her position in the universe. Man contains within himself ipori which is the constant reflection and presence of Olodumare within the person. In this case, Man is a divine being, but with frailties. These frailties can be subsided by spiritual endeavors that focus on Ipori; or God within Man.

The Ifaic concept of Man is in total opposition to the concept that Man is a sinner. Of course, because of the elinini (negative forces and energies) he is born in the context thereof, but her nature itself is divine. Thus, we are reminded and shown how to keep our connection with our Source as strong as possible. The "sin" lies in knowing the Truth about our nature, what we need to do to live out that truth, but not doing it. The failure to strive is a dishonor to Olodumare, Orisa, and the Ancestors.

Relation with the Earth Mother

"The Earth beholds the wicked says the Odu. The Earth, called Onile, is the sacred globe in which we trod. It is essential that we take care of Her and honor Her. Thus, there are rituals within Ifa that are designed to bring us into alignment with Onile's energies. She protects and provides for those that are so honorable as to kneel to Her in honest reverence. We MUST honor the spirits of our Ancestral being, but just as important we must honor the spirits of the land in which we reside. In the case of the Americas, we must honor and ask permission of the Native Spirits and acknowledge our connection with the people that honor those spirits. Thus, Ifa teaches us to come full circle in our beings as children of Olodumare.

Iwa Pele

This is what the aborisa (Ifa devotee) is impelled to seek within Ifa. Iwa Pele means "gentle character". Not only must we seek iwa pele, but we must developand maintain it. this is not as simple as it sounds because the African concept of character develpment adds something further to the concept that is commonly held in the West. Embodied within developing Iwa Pele is theb honoring of the Ancestors, living the spiritual ethics of Ifa, respecting one's Elders in the religion and without, and worshiping the Orisa. So, Iwa Pele development is actually living the whole system of Ifa. It is a daily endeavor and should not be taken lightly.

I hope that the seeker has come to another understanding than he/she had before taking in this information. As mentioned before, the information contained with this and other essays appearing on this site is meant mainly for the beginner. I am grateful for the ability to be able to help anyone that I have and can. The honor is due to the Ancestors and not me.

By Awotunde Ifaseeyin Karade
http://www.geocities.com/omo_sango_oya

***Words of Wisdom***

On understanding Afrakan thought:
"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho

utamaroho

Tue Apr-17-01 09:22 AM

41. "where did you get this?"
In response to Reply # 40

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Tue Apr-17-01 09:55 AM

42. "nevermind"
In response to Reply # 41

my bad...the questions are coming though...

(((((PEACE)))))

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #15876 Previous topic | Next topic