Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #15693

Subject: "The Autobio. of Malcom X as told to Alex Haley" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
HomerILLiad404
Charter member
2855 posts
Sat Apr-07-01 07:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Autobio. of Malcom X as told to Alex Haley"

I just got done reading the book and watching the movie. It's on some next shit. It's done something to be that I can't describe. Made me think of things that I never thought of before. I know you've the story a million times about how this book changes everyone's life for the better, but hear it at least one more time. after reading this book and feel like a different person. I see things with a new pait of eyes now. And for someone my age this is a huge thing. I'm glad I read it now at 14 years old. A fresh & young and can straighten everything out now. Also after reading this book I began to get upset. We're in a deep hole. Malcolm took his life for us and I look at us npow and it pisses me off. We have so much more access than we had 40 years ago and look at us. I said in another post athat we're in too deep. It'll take YEARS to get back up. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. If Malcolm saw us now he'd shit bricks! I know we would. If he was still alive all these "musical coons" as someone once called them wouldn't be putting out this garbage brainwashing our people. Before we can bitch at the "white man" we gotta fix the problem within the race. that's how I look at it. I see the problem everyday I walk through the halls of my school and it disgust me. Believe when I say if there's anything I could do to help the cause I would , but I'm just a freshman.

Speaking of school, I've found out that Malcolm X is STILL the most feared by white men today. When people see me with my Molcolm X & Black Panther books in class they begin to feel uneasy around me. Some even are sorta scared of me. No joke. Just yesterday in Art class one of my white friends saw me with the book and asked in a joking way (and a nervous way. I could tell she was partially serious) "Do you like, hate white people!?" I said no. The kids in my World History 9 sometimes call me Malcolm. I even got a referal for rerading it in class. Now if I was reading Dr. Martin Luther King or a Civil Rights book I wouldn't get odd looks of fear or even get it trouble. I asked my brother why Malcom X's birthday isn't a national holiday and he said "They respected King. Them crackers didn't respect Malcom. They feared them. He was a radical."

Well, there you have it. Another soul blessed by Malcolm X. Any other heads that have read this book, speak about how it has changed your life for the better or anything else Malcolm X related.

( o )( o )
DROkayplayer™: "Plant around the March Equinox"-George Carlin

"if a bitch dont look like they are on drugs and squating in an abandon building yet knows all the coolest hollywood bands and goes to choachella... that bitch is no hipster"-M. Ren

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I must admit...
Apr 09th 2001
i'm reading it now
Apr 09th 2001
RE: The Autobio. of Malcom X as told to Alex Haley
vuduchild
Apr 09th 2001
The most important book I ever read
Apr 17th 2001
Russell
Apr 17th 2001
good book to read at this...
Apr 17th 2001
Apr 18th 2001
experienced as well
dobopwee
Apr 18th 2001
TIME TO REREAD IT
utamaroho
Apr 18th 2001
...THE CONVO
utamaroho
Apr 18th 2001
      RE: ...THE CONVO
utamaroho
Apr 18th 2001
      maybe...
Apr 19th 2001
      RE: maybe...
Apr 21st 2001
      RE: ...THE CONVO
Apr 19th 2001
           This Book changed my view on life
Apr 21st 2001
                Afroteck!
Apr 21st 2001
                     'Sup, Illiad
Apr 21st 2001
now that the door is open
anwar
Apr 21st 2001
malcolm as organizer
Apr 22nd 2001
No lie
Apr 22nd 2001

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 03:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I must admit..."
In response to Reply # 0

That I had no idea who Malcolm was until the movie came out.

Seriously. I was really walking around wondering why everybody had "10" on their hats....sad, I know.

I openly admit that because I think it's necessary to understand how Malcolm's memory has been buried even amongst ourselves. My parents never mentioned him. None of my teachers.

But once I saw the movie, I was pissed off with everyone who lived when he was alive & never said a word to me about him. I immediately read the book & several others about Malcolm. Most recently I read a book of his speeches.

He is someone we should all learn about and learn from.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I am the Invincible Sword Goddess...the desert dragon..." ~~Jen

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"Now let's go back to that... building... thingie... where our beds and tv... is." ~~Homer Simpson

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

"Ignorance: The Verbal Airborne Disease" (c) my friend Ty

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 10:55 AM

2. "i'm reading it now"
In response to Reply # 0

for the 4th time and everytime i read this book, i feel so motivated. it is my favorite book, but i use is as motivation and a reminder to keep going on with the struggle, to the betterment of myself and my community.

vuduchild

Mon Apr-09-01 12:36 PM

3. "RE: The Autobio. of Malcom X as told to Alex Haley"
In response to Reply # 0

i just read this book last year, and i'm 16. amazing read! many interesting points. it was sad, because a few years ago when someone i know was assigned a report on him, everyone thought he was just some crazy hate preacher. the report ended up agreeing with this. the dude clearly didn't read the book. it's strange how many people have malcolm all wrong. but i'm glad my eyes have been opened. peace, love, and soul!!!
-b

sigs:
------------------------------
COMING ???: BILAL, 1st BORN SECOND!!!!!!!!!

"I am fascinated by the history of our music. Jazz is a whorehouse. The original booty shake." -Bilal

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Apr-17-01 03:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "The most important book I ever read"
In response to Reply # 0

I look back into that book at least once a week. I used to carry a copy with me. I reference it all the time.

k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Russell

Tue Apr-17-01 09:29 AM

5. "RE: The Autobio. of Malcom X as told to Alex Haley"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to say that this book was one of the most influential books I have ever read. Being a white kid from a small town in West Texas, I had never really considered the issue of race and what was hiding under the surface of race tensions in America. So, when I read the book as a senior in high school, it completely changed my perspective and opened my up to a whole new world. I recommend that EVERYONE read this book. Malcolm X is probably the most misunderstood character in American history and it does real damage to our situation to have his work go unnoticed.

Russell

stevelove
Member since Aug 19th 2002
36 posts
Tue Apr-17-01 09:49 AM

6. "good book to read at this..."
In response to Reply # 0

juncture in your life.
I read it twice, once at age 12 then again in High school. It encouraged me to be disciplined, truthful, and to fear no man only GOD.
In a way he had to die. Unlike Martin, who I revere also, who wanted to corrected the wrongs within the system, Malcolm realized that the system is evil. For him to live we would have seen the greatest upheaval in American society. Imagine what would have happened when young people of different races started to heed his message once he transformed into a human rights activist from a black nationalist???

sig starts here~

"I tend to fart alot and I love fucking with internet geeks who get upset when people type in all CAPS!!
In my spare time I enjoy being dope and reminding myself of how dope I am."- Divineversatile

quotes of the month
" a letter to myfriends, i'm sorry for leaving yall / but I must say peace because Jesus calls"- timothy brindle

spacecowgirl
Charter member
707 posts
Wed Apr-18-01 09:30 AM

7. "RE: The Autobio. of Malcom X as told to Alex Haley"
In response to Reply # 0

i first read it in highschool and then again in college and both times it gave me an indescribable feeling. it's commedable that at fourteen you would be reading that book. most young people your age don't pick up books anymore and that's sadder than the brother who hadn't heard of him prior to the movie. i love Malcolm X. he has been one of my heroes since highschool and i long for the day when the media initiates an open discussion about him because it's the media who has perpetuated the negativity image associated with the man.
peace and blessings,
Alia Marie

"Don't forget about strangers for many of you have entertained angels unaware."

"you've captured the tiger but the cubs are still loose." - marcus garvey

"don't forsake you. you are what you own. when you love you you'll never be alone."-me

check this out!
www.aliamarie.com

don't forsake you, you are what you own. when you love you, you'll never be alone

be aware of strangers. many of us have entertained angels unaware

dobopwee

Wed Apr-18-01 12:29 PM

8. "experienced as well"
In response to Reply # 0

The book changed me forever. I read it last summer @ 19/20 yrs. I've given the book to people as presents, I constantly recommend it, I carry a copy in my car.
I too, began to see EVERYTHING in new light. I began to think things that I had never before. I began to do and say things that never before crossed my mind.
I really admire you young(er) people for reading it and seeing the things you do. You're lucky to have gotten exposure to it. Anyone is, but the book will affect you for the rest of your life.
I have to admit, the movie was just alright. I guess that's true a lot of the time, where the book is just SO superior to the movie.
I read the book everywhere...I was so PROUD to be reading such material, and openly displayed it. It does get reactions!
Yes, many people are in the dark about Malcolm and have again, MANY misconceptions regarding him and his life and his principles...He was feared and will continue to be feared.
I've wanted to read books re: his death and conspiracy theories surrounding it, but haven't yet. I can't remember the title exactly, but there's one that looked pretty interesting "judas factor" by karl evanzz?
Peace and good luck to you all, thanks for bringing up one of my loves.

"The choice, as every choice, is yours: to fight for freedom or be fettered, to struggle for liberty or to be satisfied with slavery, to side with life or death. Spread the word of life far and wide. Talk to your friends, read, and open your eyes-even to doorways of perception you feared to look into yesterday. Hold your heart open to truth." -Mumia Abu-Jamal (inside cover of "Unbound Project: Volume 1")

ATTENTION!!!If you have not read "THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOLM X," you MUST.

utamaroho

Wed Apr-18-01 12:40 PM

9. "TIME TO REREAD IT"
In response to Reply # 0

Surprising to some, but not to others. i watch the movie everyday. not because of it being one of 3 dvd's i have, but because i like the intro to the movie,(burning american flag/white man being the biggest hypocrite/rapist...etc. really gets that hate fired up early in the morning. ) and the transformation he made into the man we knoe as Malcolm X. I also liked the second transformation from NIO to Islam and the part where the Muslim is singing with the pyramid backdrop (shut up SOLARUS!). About the only part i didn't like was Ossie Davis at the end, for obvious reasons.

What does this have to do with the book? Well, i read it AFTER seeing the movie which i had considered the "true story" when i used to watch it when i was younger. My queen's parents made her do the opposite, so her perspective was different than mine. She's also into film and media which gives a little information on our stances within this conversation:

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Wed Apr-18-01 01:01 PM

10. "...THE CONVO"
In response to Reply # 9

After seeing Spike Lee on Howard's campus at the First Annual "Black Face" Awards, we started talking on the differnces between the movie Malcolm X and Bamboozled.

When asked his favorite movies that he'd done Spike replied Bambooozled and Crooklyn and Summer of Sam. Also when talking about blacks' position in the media, he said we need to be more in control of the "behind the scene" positions and not the "dancers,singers,comedians etc. "Lord knows we have enough rappers," he said. He also commented on the "cooning" done in modern cinema and tv. *side note* i almost cried when he mentioned the coonery done in Double Take, because this was the trailer i saw when Bamboozled was coming on, and i was like, WTF!!! don't they know what movie is about to come on? plus there were white people beside me laughing at that shit and i know how images in the media impact the watchers.

ANYWAYS... from this i came to the conclusion(based on Spike's responses and what i got out of the movies) that Spike's Bamboozled was more revolutionar in scope than malcolm X was intended to be. It seemed from speaking with him and watching his movies progress that he was getting wiser and tired of the same shit happening and getting recycled. the stroy /characters in Malcolm X (with creative liscence) were fictionalized or combined to make a historical event more "popular/entertaining", almost as if he were playing to the emotions of the masses of black people who needed a "taste" of something conscious. We all saw the X caps that followed. my queen said that, it was necessary to waterdown or "fictionalize" the events because the autobiography was so long, but i didn't buy it. When telling a story based on true events, why cater to the whims of the public?, UNLESS, of course, it is intended to get a certain response from them? i.e. get the masses to wake up. To me there is no excuse for distorting history like that. And because she's in the field, she was defending it. Only in america could te distortion of truth become so easily accepted "to sell tickets." to give it a term like "creative license" is pitiful to me. *in her defense, she mentioned her reasons for not gravitating towards the journalistic field, were because the words printed would be those of the editor, not her.*

Bamboozled on the other hand was meant to directly confront the fakers/selouts/bootlickers/black westerners/ whatever! One reason why i don't think it did well. ruffled too many feathers. Spike, at the awards ceremony, said it was because of the promoting. but after talking to some black southerners hear, they'd like to see the movie banned. The concept of the MauMau and the ending were on some drop squad/handle your own problems tip to me. Much like how internal threats to villiages in the carribean are being handled by the community instead of letting the police force regulate the well-being of said community. Spike's perspective, as he said, "has changed drastically" towards the "industry" and "gatekeepers" of the media, to the point where i feel he was giving a big FINGER to those bootlickers and people he must certainly confront on the daily.

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Wed Apr-18-01 01:12 PM

11. "RE: ...THE CONVO"
In response to Reply # 10

Basically it seems the real story of Malcolm X would've been too uninteresting for the people to watch as a "historical epic".i speak with people who still won't watch the movie just because it's three hours long, BUT happily pay $7.50 to see GLADIATOR, and remember every part. He HAD to jazz the movie up and create/combine characters to make it entertaining, thus i felt this movie was for the masses, to get 'em "hooked".

Bamboozled on the other hand was targeted towards a smaller group of "those interested in their history" and the people who i noticed enjoying it most are those with some kind of personal integrity i.e. "real peopple" for lack of a better term. i saw two interacial couples in the theater and one walked out, and after seeing it one coworker drenched in Tommy everyday, said repeatedly that the movie was garbage! (i wonder why) How one movie offended on multiple levels (bamboozled), and the other a testament to a strong black presence in america (malcolm x) be so well received? they seemingly had two agendas, adn considering spikes attitude during the awards show, its like he was just pissed at what he saw going on and made a movie releasing some steam.

(((((PEACE)))))

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Thu Apr-19-01 05:40 AM

12. "maybe..."

>the
>stroy /characters in Malcolm X
>(with creative liscence) were fictionalized
>or combined to make a
>historical event more "popular/entertaining", almost
>as if he were playing
>to the emotions of the
>masses of black people who
>needed a "taste" of something
>conscious. We all saw the
>X caps that followed. my
>queen said that, it was
>necessary to waterdown or "fictionalize"
>the events because the autobiography
>was so long, but i
>didn't buy it. When telling
>a story based on true
>events, why cater to the
>whims of the public?, UNLESS,
>of course, it is intended
>to get a certain response
>from them? i.e. get the
>masses to wake up.

...that was his intention. Read my earlier post. I don't take "true life" movies at face value, so as soon as I saw the film, I wanted to read everything about Malcolm I could get my hands on. It motivated me to educate myself about the "unpopular" Black leaders and the more revolutionary side of Black history.

>To
>me there is no excuse
>for distorting history like that.
>And because she's in the
>field, she was defending it.
>Only in america could te
>distortion of truth become so
>easily accepted "to sell tickets."
>to give it a term
>like "creative license" is
>pitiful to me.

Perhaps, but at the same time, remember the idea of "reaching them where they are." If you put out something and they go home trying to put the pieces together, that is going to motivate them to educate themselves and others. If they don't want to know any more than what they saw in the film, Spike can't help that. But if they DO, then he's done his job.

>Bamboozled on the other hand was
>meant to directly confront the
>fakers/selouts/bootlickers/black westerners/ whatever! One >reason
>why i don't think it
>did well. ruffled too many
>feathers.

I agree. I liked how you came out of that movie angry with EVERYONE (at least I did), Black folks, White folks, whoever...everybody got dissed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I am the Invincible Sword Goddess...the desert dragon..." ~~Jen

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example." ~~anonymous

"Now let's go back to that... building... thingie... where our beds and tv... is." ~~Homer Simpson

"how u gonna tell me to mind my own biz/when you lookin like somethin I need to know about?"~~de la soul

"Ignorance: The Verbal Airborne Disease" (c) my friend Ty

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

HomerILLiad404
Charter member
2855 posts
Sat Apr-21-01 06:42 PM

14. "RE: maybe..."
In response to Reply # 12

>>the
>>stroy /characters in Malcolm X
>>(with creative liscence) were fictionalized
>>or combined to make a
>>historical event more "popular/entertaining", almost
>>as if he were playing
>>to the emotions of the
>>masses of black people who
>>needed a "taste" of something
>>conscious. We all saw the
>>X caps that followed. my
>>queen said that, it was
>>necessary to waterdown or "fictionalize"
>>the events because the autobiography
>>was so long, but i
>>didn't buy it. When telling
>>a story based on true
>>events, why cater to the
>>whims of the public?, UNLESS,
>>of course, it is intended
>>to get a certain response
>>from them? i.e. get the
>>masses to wake up.
>
>...that was his intention. Read my
>earlier post. I don't take
>"true life" movies at face
>value, so as soon as
>I saw the film, I
>wanted to read everything about
>Malcolm I could get my
>hands on. It motivated me
>to educate myself about the
>"unpopular" Black leaders and the
>more revolutionary side of Black
>history.

Damn. It wasn't twisted THAT much. Yes it was twistd somewhat but t wasn't warped.

>>To
>>me there is no excuse
>>for distorting history like that.
>>And because she's in the
>>field, she was defending it.
>>Only in america could te
>>distortion of truth become so
>>easily accepted "to sell tickets."
>>to give it a term
>>like "creative license" is
>>pitiful to me.
>
>Perhaps, but at the same time,
>remember the idea of "reaching
>them where they are." If
>you put out something and
>they go home trying to
>put the pieces together, that
>is going to motivate them
>to educate themselves and others.
>If they don't want to
>know any more than what
>they saw in the film,
>Spike can't help that. But
>if they DO, then he's
>done his job.

No comment.

>>Bamboozled on the other hand was
>>meant to directly confront the
>>fakers/selouts/bootlickers/black westerners/ whatever! One >reason
>>why i don't think it
>>did well. ruffled too many
>>feathers.
>
>I agree. I liked how you
>came out of that movie
>angry with EVERYONE (at least
>I did), Black folks, White
>folks, whoever...everybody got dissed.

I was speechless when I walked out. I was about to cry...seriously.

-------------------------------------------------
EMCEE PHIL MAXWELL on...
BLACKALICIOUS & DEL THE FUNKY HOMOSAPIEN

Phil:Man, what the fuck is Blackalicious. That sounds like a black porn movie. "Blacka-licious!"

Me: It's a group. Chief XCel & The Gift of Gab

Phil:..and together they're Blackalicious

Me: Ae yo don't knock it 'till you'v listened to it.

Phil:I'm not knockin;' it's just the name.

Me: Is that why you don't like Del?

Phil: C'mon! Del the Funky Homosapien.

Me: What's wrong with that?

Phil: That shit sounds goofy. I bet he's a nerd. "Funky Homosapien"...

Me: Whatever yo....

REMEMBER...

REAL thugs eat salad!

(OKAYyoungin repin')

( o )( o )

"if a bitch dont look like they are on drugs and squating in an abandon building yet knows all the coolest hollywood bands and goes to choachella... that bitch is no hipster"-M. Ren

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Apr-19-01 06:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "RE: ...THE CONVO"

>ANYWAYS... from this i came to
>the conclusion(based on Spike's responses
>and what i got out
>of the movies) that Spike's
>Bamboozled was more revolutionar in
>scope than malcolm X was
>intended to be.

I don't think Malcolm X the movie conveyed the same type of awareness that the book did. The way that he describes the black man's situation in the book, couldn't be carried across on film cause we're so desensitized to the images.

If you've read the book, the movie reinforces what he's said. But if you haven't read the book, you'll miss a lot of it.

>Bamboozled on the other hand was
>meant to directly confront the
>fakers/selouts/bootlickers/black westerners/ whatever!

It ended up preaching to the converted. Keenan Ivory Wayans did the same thing with his spoof of Hood movies, "don't be a menace in south central while ...." Whether or not the young black mass got it, it's the same thing the old folks been telling them.

But the real problem with Spike's message, is that it only leaves one legitimate way to be black, Paul Mooney's character.

There is no self determination in Spike's world.

Sorry Spike, I love watermelon, them white folks ain't gonna think any different about me if I change up and eat Peanut Soup.

peace
k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Soap
Charter member
264 posts
Sat Apr-21-01 06:51 PM

15. "This Book changed my view on life"
In response to Reply # 13

Like the rest of you said, This book was very influential in my life. I am 15 now, and just got done reading it for the third time.

If you have the book, reread the part where Malcolm talks about going hunting as a child. The analogy with the rabbit is a very effective one that I have never forgotten.

-You may now be clean-

Soap a.k.a. Afroteck

HomerILLiad404
Charter member
2855 posts
Sat Apr-21-01 06:52 PM

16. "Afroteck!"
In response to Reply # 15

Sup!

EMCEE PHIL MAXWELL on...

Phil:Man, what the fuck is Blackalicious. That sounds like a black porn movie. "Blacka-licious!"

REMEMBER...

REAL thugs eat salad!

(OKAYyoungin repin')

( o )( o )

Soap
Charter member
264 posts
Sat Apr-21-01 10:12 PM

18. "'Sup, Illiad"
In response to Reply # 16

You're a deep guy....for a youngin'.

-You may now be clean-

Soap a.k.a. Afroteck

anwar

Sat Apr-21-01 09:28 PM

17. "now that the door is open"
In response to Reply # 0

might i suggest -
Black Men: Obsolete, Single, Dangerous? -Haki Madhubuti
(in the text, madhubuti lists a number of other books to check out)
Miseducation of the Negro -Carter G. Woodson
Visions for Black Men -Na'im Akbar
Blacks In Science -Ivan Van Sertima
and as you stated, the panthers and malcolm X talks to young people are good.

if anything seems over your head at the time, just put it down for a little while, move on something else, and come back to the 1st book later on. that's what i usually do (even if i dont get back to it for years, i return eventually.)

if you have any questions/comments feel free to inbox me...

anyone else care to add any?

corazon_1
Charter member
57 posts
Sun Apr-22-01 08:44 AM

19. "malcolm as organizer"
In response to Reply # 0

the most important book i ever read? yeah, probably. the big thing here is to take the influence and rage and inspiration that the book has brought up in you and transform that into the actions that can make a dent in the system we struggle against. it's too easy to be "moved" without actually moving, you know?

i learned many lessons from malcolm's book, his speeches and his writings... i felt challenged to take myself and my beliefs more seriously, i discoved the need to bring dicipline into my life. i felt validated in my anger, and hopeful that this is a fight that can be won.

but most importantly, i was left thinking about *how* it can be won, recognizing that changes in *me* are not enough alone. i thought more and more about the need to organize people around these issues... that our ability to win anything depends on our ability to organize. Malcolm's ability to move people, not just emotionally, but into action is one thing that continually amazed me. contrary to what one earlier poster said, i don't believe that Malcolm ever "converted" from black nationalism. he did however change his analysis to one of class struggle. the battle for liberation in this nation and across the world, he argued, will ulitimately be fought on class lines. but in a country so buried in racist history and our current institutionalized racism used as a tool (if not *the* major tool) to protect the privilage and power of those at the top, then effective class organizing cannot occur without addressing the immediate race issues. the power dynamics that exist between blacks and whites of even the working class and poor cannot be ignored in our effort to work together, and so he carried on with organizing specifically black organizations. and the panthers grew out this same outlook; organizing in the black community but organizing *for* the liberation and selfdetermination of all working people.

anyway, i don't know exactly where i'm going with this. maybe just to offer another angle on the whole "inspired by malcolm x" discussion. i've spent the last few years now as a union and community organizer on the south side and south suburbs of chicago, so i'm biased on this maybe... but for me the view of Malcolm as Organizer is what gets me going.

as a side note, there is a book by published by pathfinder press (i think) of Malcolm X's final speachs, most given within the final few months and weeks of his life. he speaks to youth groups, unions and college students and does a beautiful job of articulating some of the ideas of the black nationalist/socialist direction he was taking at the end of his life.
also, anyone who has never *heard* Malcolm X speak needs to asap. reading his speachs does not do them justice. he was amazing, to say the least. i have never seen the movie (don't yell at me! i never get around to watching movies) so i don't know how ggod a job they do at recreating it. look around, you may be able to find some cds that are recordings of him, i'm not sure. i have a number of old records of him, though and if anyone really wanted you could email me and we could tape them.

peace. mm.

"That's the problem with you people. You do too much singing! today we stop singing and start swinging!"

HomerILLiad404
Charter member
2855 posts
Sun Apr-22-01 01:38 PM

20. "No lie"
In response to Reply # 19

That was one of this strongest point and I look at that more than anything. I've been thinking about organizin' myself...

EMCEE PHIL MAXWELL on...

REMEMBER...

REAL thugs eat salad!

(OKAYyoungin repin')

( o )( o )

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #15693 Previous topic | Next topic