Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #14576

Subject: "AYI KWEI ARMAH LECTURE (review)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 10:16 AM

"AYI KWEI ARMAH LECTURE (review)"

...author of 2000 Seasons and several other books on "creating the future"

...respected elder among circles of nationbuilders the world over

...and one of the most powerful speakers I have ever had the pleasure of sitting at the footsteps of while absorbing lessons of what NEEDS to be done, what HAS to be done, and what WILL be done to bring about change for my people.

For the other okayactivists that were there, please fill in anything that I miss.

(((((PEACE)))))

"Pain is weakness leaving the body." -A Navy SEALS Saying

"Fall seven times, stand up eight." -Japanese Proverb

"The conciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." -Bruce Lee

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
How did he start the talk?-n/m
May 20th 2001
IN FRONT OF ABOUT 40 PEOPLE
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
...on our HISTORY
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
PATRIARCHY
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
      In '78?
May 20th 2001
      CORRECTION
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
      RE: PATRIARCHY
masani
May 21st 2001
           the saying...
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                RE: the saying...
masani
May 21st 2001
                     RE: the saying...
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                          Dialogue
masani
May 21st 2001
                          Two things
May 21st 2001
                          RE: Two things
masani
May 21st 2001
                          !!!!!!!!
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                          Can I get a WHAT WHAT?!
May 21st 2001
                          RE: Can I get a WHAT WHAT?!
masani
May 21st 2001
                               ooh-tah-mah-row-ho
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                               RE: ooh-tah-mah-row-ho
May 21st 2001
                               Huh?
May 21st 2001
                                    RE: Huh?
masani
May 21st 2001
                                         Oh, okay Sistah
May 22nd 2001
                          RE: !!!!!!!!
masani
May 21st 2001
                          ok then....
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                               RE: ok then....
masani
May 21st 2001
                               I've met them...
May 21st 2001
                                    you're ugly
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                          RE: !!!!!!!!
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                               That's not AFRAKAN
May 21st 2001
                                    RE: That's not AFRAKAN
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                                    Solar EYE SEES EQUALITY
May 21st 2001
                                    ok buddy
Village
May 21st 2001
                                         Click here
May 21st 2001
                                    Wade Nobles, Naim Akbar, SOLARUS?
May 21st 2001
                                    WORD?!?
utamaroho
May 21st 2001
                                         EYE C U
May 21st 2001
                                              RE: EYE C U
May 22nd 2001
                                                   NICE POST
utamaroho
May 22nd 2001
                                                   It's a Zulu Greeting.
May 22nd 2001
                          RE: Definition, please?
May 21st 2001
masani
May 21st 2001
May 22nd 2001
                          When did he say this?
May 21st 2001
THE OBSERVERS
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
from 2000 SEASONS...
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
      "perfect"
May 20th 2001
           MAIN DEFINITION
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
ECONOMICS
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
RE: Cheikh Anta Diop
May 23rd 2001
      BLACK ECONOMICS vs. AFRIKAN ECONOMICS
utamaroho
May 23rd 2001
           AFRIKAN ECONOMICS
May 23rd 2001
                per-ankh concept...
utamaroho
May 23rd 2001
SACRIFICE...
utamaroho
May 20th 2001
cool..
jesmar
May 21st 2001

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun May-20-01 10:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "How did he start the talk?-n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

"Don't Hate the PLAYA Boy...hate the GAME," Granddad Freeman of the Boondocks(7-11-99)

*Twenty-three percent of women are "autoerotic singles" — they prefer to achieve sexual satisfaction alone(source-bet.com)

*If U have won a Grammy, one of two things are at play: 1. Your shit is TIGHT
2. U are white
-(Me)

"'Cuz U answer the phone 'peace' that means U not a freak?"-The Questions(c) Common

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oooo baby I like it raw. Oooo baby I like it RAAAW!(c)ODB- Shimmy Shimmy Ya

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 10:28 AM

2. "IN FRONT OF ABOUT 40 PEOPLE"
In response to Reply # 0

He sat and mesmerized the crowd of people in the AHOP (african house of prosperity) with readings from his books and answers to various questions. Ayi armah had the TOTAL attention of all there and the respect of those who came to hear the truth of now and promise of the future. Everything that Solarus, myself and others committed to building speak of in our youth on these boards (and in reality) has been refined, mastered, and actualized by this man and the community he is within. I will do my best to remember some of his quotes and speak on them...

"like hermit crabs they walk sideways looking to find a home in someone else's structure instead of building their own" -Armah

Here he speaks of those africans that mimic european ways and traditions after being lost for a thousand seasons and attempt to resolve their current position by imitating the very people who brought them death! There is NO intelligent reason for using someone else's system/culture/way of life to resolve one's own problems IF you realize that their system is not some arbitrary deviant of nature BUT a culture which "lives" off of your destruction. Once we realize the intent of western culture, their so called "nature" need not be discussed/debated/argued as much as it is. This culture is one of DESTRUCTION from core to skin, no if/ands/buts/ about it. A hard pill to swallow but the proof is soon to come...

(((((PEACE)))))

"The conciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." -Bruce Lee

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 11:31 AM

3. "...on our HISTORY"
In response to Reply # 0

he made a point to say that although we need to know our history, we need to continue the evolution of our culture and not romanticize and be stagnant in the memory of our perfect past...

"it does not interest me to hop on my left leg to get around JUST because my ancestor did. if i don't see the benefots of it, why do it." -Armah

by this we get the idea of knowing our history but recognizing the mistakes made. case in point:

in KMT the "schools" were only attended by those of royal status. whether scribe/architecht/painter, the schools were not open to the masses. the KMTic idea of their schools and how they worked was beautiful and it coincided alot with the program solarus and i wrote about in the "nationbuilding" post. (it amazed me that what we said was one thousands of years ago! the idea of time being a circle and thought/spirit being continual through generations is REAL, nbelieve that!) in those schools the students would live and learn under a master teacher in the craft or vocation. there was no separation of what was learned at school and life at home. they were immersed in their field with their teacher and saw/heard/observed every aspect of their lives, thus intimacy of what was taught formed and the bonds were strong. those studeants then went on to master their crafts and then sell/exchange their talents for goods needed to make a liveing and also to give back to the school from which they came in order to continue the cycle for the next generation. there was even a SPECIFIC group in charge of making sure the school had everything it needed and was taken care of. the word he used for this organization (he term escapes my memry) translated to "foundation". like minded individuals "involved" with the school looking out for the continuation of the cycle and welfare or the egnerations to come.

again, it was for the elite, BUT that's exactly what we are to learn from, says Armah. the goal is for EVERY child to have those opportunities, but with the tendencies and behaviors of these european institutions like Morehouse, Howard, Clark Atlanta...etc...we can NEVER get there using the ideologies they hold strongly too.

"MOREHOUSE MEN the one tenth of the talented tenth" -on a tshirt i saw.

GEEZ

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 01:29 PM

10. "PATRIARCHY"
In response to Reply # 3

he also mentioned the consequences of patriarchy and how it was something needing to be addressed for the future. sometimes people rely on the traditions of the past for so long that they forget to "create" and build...continental africans included and specifically...

EXAMPLE: in describing the unit of KMT schools designed to look after the welfare and future of that school, he used a word in front of some SENEGALESE africans. they responded with pride that the word he used was a "senegalese" word. Armah educated them that it was a KMTic term from long before the "prison" of senegal was invented...

AYI ARMAH is AWESOME!

(interestingly enough 2000 seasons was published the year i was born...)

(((((PEACE)))))

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun May-20-01 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "In '78?"
In response to Reply # 10

>
>(interestingly enough 2000 seasons was published
>the year i was born...)
>
>
>
>(((((PEACE)))))
>________________________________________________________________
>"Adversity causes some men to break,
>others to break records." -Anonymous
>
>
>"Pain is weakness leaving the body."
>-A Navy SEALS Saying
>
>"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
>-Japanese Proverb
>
>"The conciousness of self is the
>greatest hindrance to the proper
>execution of all physical
>action." -Bruce Lee

"Don't Hate the PLAYA Boy...hate the GAME," Granddad Freeman of the Boondocks(7-11-99)

*Twenty-three percent of women are "autoerotic singles" — they prefer to achieve sexual satisfaction alone(source-bet.com)

2. U are white
-(Me)

"'Cuz U answer the phone 'peace' that means U not a freak?"-The Questions(c) Common

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 02:10 PM

12. "CORRECTION"
In response to Reply # 11

1973, wrong book, good lookin' out.

(((((PEACE)))))

masani

Mon May-21-01 07:21 AM

13. "RE: PATRIARCHY"
In response to Reply # 10

>he also mentioned the consequences of
>patriarchy and how it was
>something needing to be addressed
>for the future. sometimes people
>rely on the traditions of
>the past for so long
>that they forget to "create"
>and build...continental africans included and
>specifically...
>
>EXAMPLE: in describing the unit of
>KMT schools designed to look
>after the welfare and future
>of that school, he used
>a word in front of
>some SENEGALESE africans. they responded
>with pride that the word
>he used was a "senegalese"
>word. Armah educated them that
>it was a KMTic term
>from long before the "prison"
>of senegal was invented...
>
>AYI ARMAH is AWESOME!
>
Sounds like he is on point but, I wish you would elaborate on the consequences of patriarchy and how it must be delt with in "the future". We talk of sacrifice and going without. Can Brothers really go without male privelidge? That's when shit is really ON AND POPPIN'. When we as humans, As Afrakans, address our partiarchy-the domination and oppression of women by men-then nation building can be considered to have begun. When the OAU has as many sisters as brothers in LEADERSHIP positions and positions of POWER, then my people will be free. We talk very little about the status of women in our societies-our previous status and our current. We talk very little about how women's oppression is at the base of this world oppression. I am not speaking about lip service-"A nation is only as strong as it's women" Many people don't even believe that. We speak of our race, our god of the universe as male and yet we fail to make the connection between women's oppression and the rape of the earth. Lets get real with this shit. If it aint about nation building, it aint about nothin' is true, what type of nation though?

Peace and Love

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 07:31 AM

14. "the saying..."
In response to Reply # 13

>>A nation is only as strong as it's women"

i heard this before. where is this from. i would say women should be replaced with "children".

(((((PEACE)))))

masani

Mon May-21-01 07:35 AM

15. "RE: the saying..."
In response to Reply # 14

I saw it on a poster. I agree, it should include the children but what do you think about what I said? I honestly want to know.

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 07:48 AM

16. "RE: the saying..."
In response to Reply # 15

>>Can Brothers really go without male privelidge?

American men, probably not...but i have seen the transition of some men, myslef in particular learned of what NOT to do and how NOT to think from interacting with some intense womanists/feminists from spelman. they opened my eyes to a lot...

>>We talk very little about the status of women in our societies-our previous status and our current. We talk very little about how women's oppression is at the base of this world oppression.

how so?

>>If it aint about nation building, it aint about nothin' is true, what type of nation though?

the solution to patriarchy will be born simultaneously with the ending of western culture. (yes patriarchy existed before and independant of the west, but i like using the word and equating western culture with evil ) the solutions are here and easily observed but like you said, will people be able to do it? most won't. period

"many can find it but few will climb it." -Common

masani

Mon May-21-01 08:28 AM

18. "Dialogue"
In response to Reply # 16

Thanks for your feedback, as for how the world has been fucked up from the oppression of women, thats a disertation!

Seriously, I have been toying with the idea of going to get my doctorate in History for years. I know I want to study Afraka and its original diasporas-a la Runoko Rashidii and Ivan Van Sertima and Drusilla Dunjee-but I also want it to be about sistas. E.g. There is a lot of Archeological evidence of women centered cultures as the norm around the world. No, not big mean Amazons cutting off one breast and every penis they could find either. I mean I believe the women of the world used to share power with men. Women's work, as in a lot of Afraka, was not inherently less than, women's thoughts influenced civilizations, women were valued not as an extension of one's property and status, but as teachers, builders, poets, priestesses, God, mother, etc.

And I actually question how much patriarchy existed before western un-civilization. I think that western civilization is the child of patriarchy, feel me? I mean, "Europe" used to worship Isis too! I read that Notre Dame is built on top of a temple of Isis!( I think I read that in a Van Sertima book).

Anywho, this notion of the world being worse off after women became subjugated, I took that as a logical extension of something Van Sertima(again) said. Basically, the world is in chaos because Afraka is oppressed. That without all of the world's inhabitants contributing fully, we have an unbalanced world-pollution of our air, water, food supply, destruction of the ozone, rain forests, life forms, all due to western civilization's hegemony. I think the same can be said about women. We don't destroy, we build. We don't attack, we nurture, we think before we speak and we handle our bidness! Everything we say about the diametrically opposed world views of the Afrakan and the Westerner, so too can it be said about the 50% of the world's population that is prevented from participating fully on the world stage.

Personally, I think these "Aryan Hordes" that every one speaks of had a lot to do with the way we view the world and our place in it. They had the harsh, vindictive, male sky God. Most of the rest of the world had the benevolent, loving, earth mother/father God.

I'm rambling a little, no? I'm still fleshing out my theory and how to examine it, reading, reading and re-reading. Talking, dialoguing and thinking. Oh, if only this was a time when if someone wanted to think all the time, study, know for the love of it they could!

Peace

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon May-21-01 08:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Two things"
In response to Reply # 18

At their basic levels:

"patriarchy" does not = "misogyny"

&

"patriarchal western (un)civilization" = "misogyny" + "female demonization"

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

On understanding Afrakan thought:
"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

masani

Mon May-21-01 08:43 AM

21. "RE: Two things"
In response to Reply # 19

true

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 08:38 AM

20. "!!!!!!!!"

>>I think the same can be said about women. We don't destroy, we build. We don't attack, we nurture, we think before we speak and we handle our bidness!

whoah! allrighty then...my bias right now towards women prvents me from respnding to this with the "wrath" BUT you might be right in some twisted alternate reality with that statement about women...but maybe its just me.

(((((PEACE)))))

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon May-21-01 08:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Can I get a WHAT WHAT?!"
In response to Reply # 20

HTP

>>I think the same can be said about women. We don't destroy, we build. We don't attack, we nurture, we think before we speak and we handle our bidness!

I would say that women are more naturally inclined to build, nurture, more in tune with SPIRIT and emotions but don't necessarily have to follow those inclinations (especially in the face of western enculturation).

"We handle our bidness." In this particular AMerican society, Afrakan women are oppressed through a myriad of ways, particularly sexism and racism and therefore for their survival must undergo a more structured developmental process than Afrakan men. I've always noticed and been disheartened by seeing immature, irresponsible Afrakan men in families where the women are very mature, responsible and "handlin dere bidness." Damn shame.

"Think before we speak," ummmmmm...

PEace
Solarice

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

masani

Mon May-21-01 08:58 AM

26. "RE: Can I get a WHAT WHAT?!"
In response to Reply # 22

See my response to Utamaroho(how is that pronounced?)I know, I know, it is a somewhat oversimplified, perfect world I am speaking of but, I'm gonna dream.

As far as us, I think that society lets men in general off the hook when it comes to relationships and families. I am married to a brother that handles his bidness though.

I think that it is important to acknowledge the MANY brothers who do live their lives righteously.

Its also significant that I am a happily married heterosexual cuz a lot of brothers(and more sistas than one would believe) I have tried to open up a dialogue with have hidden behind wack thoughts like: Only man hating lesbians and/or brainwashed sell out sistah's following some "white woman shit" think like you Masani so, is you gay?

Thanks for dealing with the issues and not hidding behind some smoke screen.

Peace

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 09:01 AM

27. "ooh-tah-mah-row-ho"
In response to Reply # 26

(((((PEACE)))))

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:34 AM

36. "RE: ooh-tah-mah-row-ho"
In response to Reply # 27

Explain the meaning, so people can OVERstand.

peace.

2. U are white
-(Me)

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:34 AM

35. "Huh?"
In response to Reply # 26

>
>a lot of brothers(and more
>sistas than one would believe)
>I have tried to open
>up a dialogue with have
>hidden behind wack thoughts like:
>Only man hating lesbians and/or
>brainwashed sell out sistah's following
>some "white woman shit" think
>like you Masani so, is
>you gay?

2. U are white
-(Me)

masani

Mon May-21-01 10:54 AM

43. "RE: Huh?"
In response to Reply # 35

I mean that I have been called lesbian and white washed cuz I choose to include women in my vision of Afrakan liberation. I have actually been told that I probably just needed a man-I have one, I just don't start every sentence with: "my husband..." I was also told that I been listening to white women in trying to define myself as a womanist/pan-afrakanist. I've read a lot of people's works but, what resonnates with me is truth and justice what informs me is my and my folks experiences.

I know, when I read what I wrote it did not come out like I was thinking.

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue May-22-01 03:56 AM

45. "Oh, okay Sistah"
In response to Reply # 43

Well, "I" consider myself a womanist and pan-Afrikanist, and that has nothing 2 do w/ listening to white women. I consider myself a womanist from reading Alice Walker, who aptly put a word to what I already thought and believed anyway. I wish I could recommend a women's program 2 U which would facilitate Ur studies, but I don't know of one. They are out there, I just don't know where. I could ask the women in my Women_On_Race e-group if U'd like. Somebody in it might know of such a place of learning.

2. U are white
-(Me)

masani

Mon May-21-01 08:50 AM

23. "RE: !!!!!!!!"

Are you mocking me I know not every woman lives up to that statement, just like we got a lot of Afrakans lost in the wilderness who don't want to be found. I stand by what I say though. Shit is fucked up now for all groups, I only seek to regain the balance we all once knew. I know I'm arrogant, but mine eyes have seen the glory... I'm just as arrogant about Pan Afrakanism.

PS, Kose, Kose Kose for the dialogue. I'm not glass, I won't break and I appreciate your taking me seriously.

Peace
>
>whoah! allrighty then...my bias right now
>towards women prvents me from
>respnding to this with the
>"wrath" BUT you might be
>right in some twisted alternate
>reality with that statement about
>women...but maybe its just me.
>
>
>
>(((((PEACE)))))
>________________________________________________________________
>"Adversity causes some men to break,
>others to break records." -Anonymous
>
>
>"Pain is weakness leaving the body."
>-A Navy SEALS Saying
>
>-Japanese Proverb
>
>"The conciousness of self is the
>greatest hindrance to the proper
>execution of all physical
>action." -Bruce Lee

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 08:57 AM

25. "ok then...."
In response to Reply # 23

I'm not glass, I won't break and I appreciate your taking me seriously.

women possessing those attributes ideally (i.e. afrikan traditional society) and men not possesing these qualities might be an incorrect observation...or something to springboard to something new and better.

plus, women en masse that i've personally come into contact with are gross. perhaps its just my path, but THE ONLY people that have gained my respect or met my standards just happened to be men...and this is not isolation or patriarchy talking because there was a time when i looked hig and low for these women...but to no avail...

(((((PEACE)))))

masani

Mon May-21-01 09:04 AM

28. "RE: ok then...."
In response to Reply # 25

Ooh, the gloves are off.

First, let me say, I never said that men do not possess the same qualities I extol in women. As a woman though, I'm gonna big us up cuz we need that.

As for your observations about women and men, those are indeed your experiences and I would never deem to negate them. How you feel is valid, if only for you .

I'm not gonna get into some back and forth shit about who is the most high or actualized on the planet. We all got issues to resolve. Remember, I said that I believe we were once balanced and we a now not.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:05 AM

29. "I've met them..."
In response to Reply # 25

If you "looked" and can't "find" then its time to look where all the answers dwell...

SELF!

(or you could ask g.o.d.)
}> }> }> }> }> }>

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 09:10 AM

30. "you're ugly"
In response to Reply # 29

>>(or you could ask g.o.d.)

and mamma don't like ugly...

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 08:51 AM

24. "RE: !!!!!!!!"

>>my bias right now towards women prvents me from respnding to this with the "wrath"

by this i mean that: because of my biased position right now concerning this "woman" idea, anything i have to say personally about them would be unfocused negative energy (wrath). at this point i think of women as generic people as i do men matter of fact.

(((((PEACE)))))

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:16 AM

31. "That's not AFRAKAN"
In response to Reply # 24

HTP

Though "sex roles" may be defined by culture, "sex" is not. Only through this false Western "feminism" (as opposed to "womanism") have some Afrakans been mislead into the belief that there is no difference btween men and women.

"generic people?"

What this means is one does not understand the inherent differences between women and men enough to know that men/women are to ends of polarity. Traditional Afrakan societies capitalized off these differences and structured society around them. Biologically, gender causes biochemical/physiological differences which in turn affect psycho-social/spiritual development. To ignore these differences is to not understand/appreciate nature thereby causing one to live an unbalanced/anti-natured life.

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 09:21 AM

32. "RE: That's not AFRAKAN"
In response to Reply # 31

>>What this means is one does not understand the inherent differences between women and men enough to know that men/women are to ends of polarity.

do YOU have understanding? if so, enlighten me, if not then why buy into something you've heard and not observed...

i did that once and...well

that's why i said i have not met one woman that met those "idealized ideals" or even women that make that hypothesis one which merits study.

put down he psychology books...

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:29 AM

34. "Solar EYE SEES EQUALITY"
In response to Reply # 32

HTP

>>>What this means is one does not understand the inherent differences between women and men enough to know that men/women are to ends of polarity.

>do YOU have understanding? if so,
>enlighten me, if not then
>why buy into something you've
>heard and not observed...

It's not something that can be TALKED about. It's something that has to be LIVED/EXPERIENCED. Come on now, YOU should know the game by now.

>that's why i said i have
>not met one woman that
>met those "idealized ideals" or

"IDEALIZED IDEALS????!!!!"

What kind of nonsense is this? As long as you look for "idealized ideals" and not for WHAT IS THERE STARING YOU IN THE FACE ALL OF THE TIME AND NEVER GOING AWAY UNTIL YOU REALIZE THAT IT IS THERE, then you SEE it.

>even women that make that
>hypothesis one which merits study.

Hypothesis? Study? Sounds like the "scientific method" to me. No comment.

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

Village

Mon May-21-01 09:39 AM

38. "ok buddy"
In response to Reply # 34

>>It's not something that can be TALKED about. It's something that has to be LIVED/EXPERIENCED. Come on now, YOU should know the game by now.

*sigh* if that was the case, then no words would be used at all...no explanation, no dialogue and no response as to the differences between men and women from a biological/physiological/psychological perspective...

"we start shit, and back it up" -Kweli

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon May-21-01 10:41 AM

42. "Click here"
In response to Reply # 38

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/2896.html#41

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:43 AM

40. "Wade Nobles, Naim Akbar, SOLARUS?"
In response to Reply # 32

Don't do it Brothah, DON'T U DO IT! ABPsy awaits.......
>
>
>put down the psychology books...
>

2. U are white
-(Me)

utamaroho

Mon May-21-01 09:25 AM

33. "WORD?!?"
In response to Reply # 31

>>Traditional Afrakan societies capitalized off these differences and structured society around them.

HOW, WHEN AND WHERE?

>>Biologically, gender causes biochemical/physiological differences which in turn affect psycho-social/spiritual development.

HOW? specifically

>>To ignore these differences is to not understand/appreciate nature thereby causing one to live an unbalanced/anti-natured life.

to believe without evidence is mysticism and stupidity...EXPLAIN

oh yeah, let's try to answer these questions from a non western perspective since these ideas are independaant of that construct...

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon May-21-01 10:39 AM

41. "EYE C U"
In response to Reply # 33

HTP

>>>Traditional Afrakan societies capitalized off these differences and structured society around them.
>
>HOW, WHEN AND WHERE?

SEE BELOW

>
>>>Biologically, gender causes biochemical/physiological differences which in turn affect psycho-social/spiritual development.
>
>HOW? specifically

*(This statement suggests "chemical differences" which maybe observable in daily behavior but "chemically" implies SPECIFIC reference to chemicals that support the observable understanding that the ancestors had. Thus my understanding of the ancestral knowledge of biochemistry/AL-KEMI is lacking and I must rely on current Western-based experiments for validity.)

Testosterone is a hormone (androgen) that is secreted by sex glands in both men and women. It is usually secreted more in men and is responsible for stimulation of male sex characteristics that occur during puberty. The secretion of testosterone is also related to aggression. One example of the Afrakan understanding of this in the common practice of sending the boys to the wilderness during in the transition from boyhood to manhood. The purpose was (in part) for the boys learn self-discipline/self-control of the aggressive-tendency or as Kwame Akoto put it "warrior spirit."

Another example is the fact that in many, if not the majority, of traditional Afrakan societies men are the ones who usually engage in the socially-mandated sporting/fighting events and other aspects of the culture that demand "aggressive" behavior such as national defense, war an/or hunting. Need group names? Here are a few (Yao of "Tanzania," Maasai of "Kenya," Mande of "West Afraka," Nuba of "East Afraka," kwk.)

Estrogen is the hormone secreted by male and female sex glands is stimulates the growth of female secondary sex characteristics. Estrogen is usually secretion predominates testerone secretion in females and in traditional Afrakan societies women are usually associated with DOING the functions of society that necessitate less aggressive behaviors (e.g. weaving, planting, food preparation.)

(Non-western perspective)
The female is the only gender capable of giving birth. This function along with the female ability to feed the newborn in the initial stages of infant development cause a bond (between child and mother) that is necessary for the child's growth. This nurturing role in chldbirth is absolutely vital for the child's development that in many traditonal Afrakan societies, children do not leave the side(backs) of the mother until at least 2 years of age or when they can walk (eg. Akan and many other West Afrakan groups). From this perspective women are revered for their inherent nurturing qualities and encouraged (and sometimes forced: see various Yoruba groups) to remain in this role.

>>>To ignore these differences is to not understand/appreciate nature thereby causing one to live an unbalanced/anti-natured life.
>
>to believe without evidence is mysticism
>and stupidity...EXPLAIN

OPEN your EYES. As long as you EXPECT to see something (and "idealized" picture that YOU created and are imposing on others) you WON'T.

Need more?

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue May-22-01 04:05 AM

46. "RE: EYE C U"
In response to Reply # 41

Joy De Gruy Leary, an Oregon sociologist whose research emphasis is violence in Black men describes in her lecture a South Afrikan greeting which translates into English as, "I see U". She goes further to state that the psychological ramificatons of greeting one another in that manner w/in the context of Afrikan culture denotes unconditional acceptance, and understanding of one another frailties, and weaknesses. So when Black children taunt each other and escalate into fights stemming from "Whatchu LOOKIN' at?" in THIS country, it speaks to a disconnect that we as Afrikans in America have from our true cultural context. She describes this as one of many examples of Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: the psychological damage sufferred by displaced Afrikans in the Diaspora as a result of the Afrikan Slave Trade and subsequent experience of slavery, collectively known as the "Maafa", a term coined by the revered Marimba Ani.

2. U are white
-(Me)

utamaroho

Tue May-22-01 04:19 AM

48. "NICE POST"
In response to Reply # 46

this should be a post all its own, but i know another player that will drop a post on the psychological differences between the way afrikans think/act vs. the way "the children" do.

(((((PEACE)))))

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue May-22-01 06:52 AM

49. "It's a Zulu Greeting."
In response to Reply # 46

>

"the saying is Sawubona. Which means we see you." (c) Naomi Tutu, daughter of Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

We. WE. WE? Who R we U wonder? I say we equates w/ I&I. The community, + the Ancestors, and the ones yet 2 come. We see U. Incredible.

Joy De Gruy Leary, an Oregon
>sociologist whose research emphasis is
>violence in Black men describes
>in her lecture a South
>Afrikan greeting which translates into
>English as, "I see U".
>She goes further to state
>that the psychological ramificatons of
>greeting one another in that
>manner w/in the context of
>Afrikan culture denotes unconditional acceptance,
>and understanding of one another
>frailties, and weaknesses. So when
>Black children taunt each other
>and escalate into fights stemming
>from "Whatchu LOOKIN' at?" in
>THIS country, it speaks to
>a disconnect that we as
>Afrikans in America have from
>our true cultural context. She
>describes this as one of
>many examples of Post Traumatic
>Slave Syndrome: the psychological damage
>sufferred by displaced Afrikans in
>the Diaspora as a result
>of the Afrikan Slave Trade
>and subsequent experience of slavery,
>collectively known as the "Maafa",
>a term coined by the
>revered Marimba Ani.
>
>
>
>"Don't Hate the PLAYA Boy...hate the
>GAME," Granddad Freeman of the
>Boondocks(7-11-99)
>
>*Twenty-three percent of women are "autoerotic
>singles" — they prefer to
>achieve sexual satisfaction alone(source-bet.com)
>
>*If U have won a Grammy,
>one of two things are
>at play: 1. Your shit
>is TIGHT
>
>
>
> 2.
>U are white
>-(Me)
>
>"'Cuz U answer the phone 'peace'
>that means U not a
>freak?"-The Questions(c) Common

2. U are white
-(Me)

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:40 AM

39. "RE: Definition, please?"

>
>benevolent, loving, earth mother

2. U are white
-(Me)

masani

Mon May-21-01 10:58 AM

44. "RE: Definition, please?"
In response to Reply # 39

what do you mean? info about God as woman or my definition of a benevolent earth mother/father?

My def. is a god that does not unleash plagues and famines on the enemy's of it's "chosen" people. I speak of a spirituality based on reverence for all life and a gratefulness and awareness of the earth's special role in sustaining us all at least physically.

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue May-22-01 04:08 AM

47. "RE: Definition, please?"
In response to Reply # 44

Define earth mother.

2. U are white
-(Me)

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Mon May-21-01 09:36 AM

37. "When did he say this?"
In response to Reply # 16

>"many can find it but few
>will climb it." -Common

2. U are white
-(Me)

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 12:11 PM

4. "THE OBSERVERS"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my favorite things he mentioned was a story of observing. He told of a time in KMT when some of the people slept in the day and were awake at night. These people observed the stars and after endless nights of looking to the sky began to understand the motion and dance of the celestial bodies. They eventually found out the the flooding of the river Hapi (nile) coincided with the setting of a certain star...These people then went on to the common people and because of the scarcity of the type of knowledge they had, told the people that god revealed through them the time of the flood...the masses believed them and the small group of "knowers" profitted off their kowledge instead of sharing itwith the rest. This was the origin of mysticism an belief in the "imaginary" based off of common observances. Much like certain groups claim some kind of mystical "divine" revelations and exclude all else. These "excluive" groups are around for small groups to exploit the masses (mentally/physically/whatever) and keep control of whatever it is they seek to control (minds/body/history/knowledge of true self). At this point in the game they have become traditions ingrained so deep that to see the light of truth remains an incredible obstacle for most...

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 12:20 PM

5. "from 2000 SEASONS..."
In response to Reply # 4

those aspiring to reclaim what is afrikan, READ THIS TWICE...TWICE!

"How he very first of us lived, of that ultimate origin we have had unnumbered thoughts and more mere fables passed down to us from those gone before, but of none of this has any of us been told it was sure knowledge. We have not found that lying trick to our taste, the trick of making up sure knowledge of things possible to think of, things possible to wonder aboutbut impossible to know in any intimate way. We are not stunted in spirit, we aer not Europeans, we are not Christians that we should inventfables a child would laugh at and harden our eyes to preach them daylight and deep night as truth. We are not so warped in soul, we are not Arabs, we are not Muslims to fabricate a desert god chanting madness in the wilderness, and call our creature creator. That is not our way." -Armah 2000 Seasons.

ignorance- when people just don't know
stupidity- when people believe something and don't even know why

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Sun May-20-01 12:29 PM

7. ""perfect""
In response to Reply # 5

Post the definition of perfect as well, just so we can all be clear, please.

>
>ignorance- when people just don't know
>
>stupidity- when people believe something and
>don't even know why

2. U are white
-(Me)

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 01:04 PM

9. "MAIN DEFINITION"
In response to Reply # 7

per·fect (pûrfkt)
adj. Abbr. perf.

1)Lacking nothing essential to the whole; complete of its nature or kind.

this is the definition most people are surprised to hear. when somehing lacks nothing essential to the all/whole/essence, then one is perfect and as ya Setshego said last night to me "everbody in that respect is perfect." HOWEVERY as much as people ideally identify with "god/perfect being/the all" most still have the stigma of seeing themselves as imperfect or sinners. a chiold told it is essentially sinful and "we're all sinners" will act as such even while aspiring to be "good". someone told that they are perfect/divine (as our ancestors communicated) will not aspire to perfcetion but try to MAINAIN that status. So instead of battling within "to be good" (reaching up to god) we strive not to fall from grace (act/behave/live in a non-divine way). now some words from a modern griot:

"we just don't act divine, WE ARE!"

-Talib Kweli, from Hi-tek's new album

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 12:27 PM

6. "ECONOMICS"
In response to Reply # 0

"financial instability is the main reason why so many of the efforts of the past failed" -Armah

when speaking of economics, he made the point of addressing the history of past efforts and why they did not succeed as they wanted to. my point of interest was when he spoke of the place of nation building with respect to the status quo. a total separtist movemnt right now is unlikely and improbable. right now we need to get started with building a future that can LATER be self-sufficient. in the nationbuilding post, i stated the example of solar power usage for the school. the only point that should have been taken away from that is the recognition that we need to exist within this framework ONLY to one day exist without it. therefore solar power now would mean involving ourselves in this realm to get it, but creating a future using the technology so that energy sources would renewable, free, and within OUR control. Everything done should be thought within the context of how it leads to the future of Nationbuilding.

"if it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about anything"

(((((PEACE)))))

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Wed May-23-01 06:54 AM

50. "RE: Cheikh Anta Diop"
In response to Reply # 6

As amazing as Diop's other work is (Civilization or Barbarism, etc) this book is as important as his other work in that it lays out a workable blueprint for bring the Motherland back together in a healthy manner.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556520611/qid=990636473/sr=1-5/ref=sc_b_5/002-2034565-2320803

Black Africa : The Economic and Cultural Basis for a Federated State by Cheikh Anta Diop

------------------
One Hundred.

utamaroho

Wed May-23-01 10:21 AM

51. "BLACK ECONOMICS vs. AFRIKAN ECONOMICS"
In response to Reply # 50

question

being that black economics usually (at least in the other post) deals with economic power from the western perspective...how could we even fathom using it to help the afrikan diaspora? we all know the end result of this consuming/exhausting culture, so why use this one offshoot of western culture in efforts to solve global issues? it might last for a while but eventually will result in the "american template" that started it. Afrikan economics (wholistically thinking) seems like a better choice, if not just because its not the western approach.

(((((PEACE)))))

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Wed May-23-01 10:29 AM

52. "AFRIKAN ECONOMICS"
In response to Reply # 51

What is THAT? Socialism?

Afrikan economics (wholistically thinking)
>seems like a better choice,
>if not just because its
>not the western approach.
>
>-Japanese Proverb

2. U are white
-(Me)

utamaroho

Wed May-23-01 11:15 AM

53. "per-ankh concept..."
In response to Reply # 52

...explained at the lecture...remeber?

no, its not socialism, not the socialism i'm familiar with...

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Sun May-20-01 12:37 PM

8. "SACRIFICE..."
In response to Reply # 0

Who's ready? Who is really ready?

How many are ready? How many are willing? How many even really desire change?

When discussing economics and resources and being in control of ones own life/destiny/path/future, the point of sacrifice came up. Realizing that this culture is DEAD and that to bring "springwater to the desert" is futile, how many people are willing to give up this easy comfortable life, and accept the severe hardships that go along with struggle in order to bring the future into being. How many can sacrifice their "happiness" that comes from this culture and way of "life" in order to build for generations that won't be seen with our eyes this lifetime? Armah stated that "in order to get where we need to be we will have to do without ALOT of thigs." And let's admit, most cannot get by a few days with some of the luxuries of this way of life and giving them up for good would be asking to forfeit their very BEING. The sacrifices have to be made. But considering the lack of self-discipline exhibited in this realm, the overabundancy of dependency on the status quo here, and the outright lack of drive towards something better/different by the people here...well, you know...

...so i ask again, "Who's ready?"

(((((PEACE)))))

jesmar

Mon May-21-01 07:50 AM

17. "cool.."
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.

http://ngfaa.cjb.net - The New Grimfurious And Friends Audio Archive
(i'm Bastarrde)

http://www.netaid.org - because uh.. time magazine told me to. hell, i dunno.

http://dreamwater.net/estrangular - i have poems there, too. if you're into that sort of thing.

"stress relates to those who walk around protected"

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #14576 Previous topic | Next topic