Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #14266

Subject: "No More PJs!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
jonm

Tue Mar-06-01 06:26 AM

"No More PJs!"

What do you do with the people?
What happens to the land?
Who Benefits?

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: No More PJs!
JMello
Mar 06th 2001
The buildings are not the problem
Mar 06th 2001
      Not so..
JMello
Mar 06th 2001
           You're not the only section 8 child here
Mar 08th 2001
                Didn't say that...
JMello
Mar 08th 2001
um
Mar 06th 2001
RE: um
Mar 06th 2001
      I was thinking TV @ first too n/m
Mar 06th 2001
      RE: um
May 28th 2001
gentrification??
Mar 06th 2001
Check yo fax
JMello
Mar 06th 2001
Read this shite...
JMello
Mar 06th 2001
      well...
Mar 06th 2001
           Well...well...well
JMello
Mar 08th 2001
In Baltimore
Mar 06th 2001
Sorry Honey
JMello
Mar 06th 2001
      didn't say there wasn't
Mar 06th 2001
      p.s.--who mentioned racism/classism? n/m
Mar 06th 2001
           Just nipping it in the bud...n/m
JMello
Mar 06th 2001
      How can there be too much affordable housing?!!!
Mar 08th 2001
           RE: How can there be too much affordable housing?!!!
JMello
Mar 08th 2001
think about this
Isis
Mar 06th 2001
RE: think about this
JMello
Mar 06th 2001
Mar 08th 2001
      Bronx Warehouses
JMello
Mar 08th 2001
Isis
Mar 11th 2001
           Reiteration
JMello
Mar 15th 2001
In Chicago
Mar 11th 2001
Over-SIMPlification
JMello
Mar 15th 2001

JMello

Tue Mar-06-01 08:52 AM

1. "RE: No More PJs!"
In response to Reply # 0

>What do you do with the
>people?
>What happens to the land?
>Who Benefits?

I assume you're referring to the Hope V grants from HUD and the conversion of PJs to mixed-income neighborhoods.

This has been done with many Boston projects, two of which used to be the worst in the city (Orchard Park and Columbia Point). Both originally consisted of brick tenements and high-rises. Columbia Point has become Harbor Point, a mixed-income community with a gym, day care, swimming pool and other amenities. Many low-income people still live there (with subsidized apartments) but it is also a desirable place to live (on the ocean, subway access). Orchard Park has become Orchard Gardens and now consists of rows of wood-framed townhouses painted pastel (ClownTown). It too has become a desirable place to live.

All in all, I believe that the reconstruction of depression era projects and their conversion to mixed-income communities is a good thing. It stabilizes the surrounding neighborhood and allows different income groups to interact; an important key to breaking the cycle of poverty. As long as the city doesn't reduce it's overall supply of affordable housing (Boston has actually increased it), then it is a great idea to provide stable mixed-income communities, and correct the tremendous error realized when scores of the city's poor were relocated into "warehouses for the poor."

JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "The buildings are not the problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Never has been.

The pjs used to be good places to live....

Relocating the people will not change the reasons why the projects became so fucked up...the same things will happen to whereever the people are placed.

JMello

Tue Mar-06-01 12:56 PM

12. "Not so.."
In response to Reply # 8

>Never has been.
>
>The pjs used to be good
>places to live....
>
>Relocating the people will not change
>the reasons why the projects
>became so fucked up...the same
>things will happen to whereever
>the people are placed.

Not if they're spread out. Poverty breeds poverty. And that's straight from the mouth of a Section 8 child.

JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "You're not the only section 8 child here"
In response to Reply # 12

moving people out of the projects does not remove them from poverty.

Plenty of poor people don't live in projects. Plenty of projects used to be middle class housing...the exact same building.

JMello

Thu Mar-08-01 03:43 PM

23. "Didn't say that..."
In response to Reply # 21

>moving people out of the projects
>does not remove them from
>poverty.

I didn't say it did. But it definitely gives people a better chance to escape the cycle. I know I almost ended up in the pJs, but thank God my mother got a Section 8 grant instead. I truly believe that I wouldn't be where I am now if things played out differently.

JMello

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "um"
In response to Reply # 0

i originally thought that you were taking a political stance against wearing pajamas...my bad...

Damali, The Analog Girl in a Digital World

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 10:03 AM

5. "RE: um"
In response to Reply # 2

I thought he meant that Eddie Murphy-claymation series got cancelled.

I have nothing to offer.

RED

"Instead of just sitting around, why
don't you kids go out and co-opt
some black culture?"
© a New Yorker cartoon

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 10:09 AM

6. "I was thinking TV @ first too n/m"
In response to Reply # 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"my mama said/a lady ain't what she wears/but what she knows"~~India Arie

KizzMyBlakAzz: you've made yourself a shell
KizzMyBlakAzz: i know you're soft and gooey on the inside
LHoney17: I know I am....never said I wasn't
LHoney17: but that doesn't mean I get stepped on or that I'm not strong
KizzMyBlakAzz: Gooey
LHoney17: lol
KizzMyBlakAzz: Caramel
KizzMyBlakAzz: Center
LHoney17: lol....well that's a nice way to think of it
KizzMyBlakAzz: with like a hard choclate shell
LHoney17: think I'll put that in a personal ad
KizzMyBlakAzz: You're a Rollo
LHoney17: lmao
KizzMyBlakAzz: lmao

"Ignorance: The Verbal Airborne Disease" (c) my friend Ty

"Quentin's on his way/Quinton's on his way/Quentin's on his way/with another J/and it's ok!!/(we're gonna get high!!)" ~~Pharcyde

~~~~
http://omidele.blogspot.com/
http://rahareiki.tumblr.com/
http://seatofbliss.blogspot.com/

Christ o
Charter member
449 posts
Mon May-28-01 05:05 PM

29. "RE: um"
In response to Reply # 5

yeah, I think it is getting canceled.

*#@!

Inez
Charter member
7055 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:18 AM

3. "gentrification??"
In response to Reply # 0

i've got to do my research, i haven't kept up with current events.

i do, however, have real problem w/ the tearing down of "projects" because i have yet to see a good place to put the displaced. In Chicago they tore down cabrini green...one of the largest housing projects...i can't recall, but maybe a building or two is still standing.

and in its place they put million dollar condos.

that is not mixed income planning, that is puching people out of their homes and leavin them dry. Now people who already had one up in life in terms of wealth and opportunity...are at an even better advantage, but those who lived in cabrini were often forced to moved to lower income areas, areas that weren't as accessible to transportation, grocery stores, jobs & health care.

in theory it should've worked, MAYBE, but these new ideas are really only driven by money, and it's pushing people down the ladder rather than up.

peace.
starli
._______________________________________________.
.listen to what the fuck i got to say.
http://www.geocities.com/junebugs_sister
fuck being hard, posdnous is complicated!

SUPPORT THIS
http://www.blumagazine.net/

... got a liter of knob creek and a bottle of ether
http://www.flickr.com/photos/annieappleseed/

JMello

Tue Mar-06-01 12:41 PM

9. "Check yo fax"
In response to Reply # 3

>i've got to do my research,
>i haven't kept up with
>current events.
>
>i do, however, have real problem
>w/ the tearing down of
>"projects" because i have yet
>to see a good place
>to put the displaced. In
>Chicago they tore down cabrini
>green...one of the largest housing
>projects...i can't recall, but maybe
>a building or two is
>still standing.
>
>and in its place they put
>million dollar condos.

You do have to do your research. HUD would not allow that to occur. Cabrini Green was built with federal tax dollars and can not be dismantled without providing replacements. I would almost guarantee that the "million dollar condos" you speak of are actually part of a mixed-income community.

(Time Lapse)

Yeah, I was right. This is an excerpt from the Chicago Housing Authority website:

"Cabrini-Green, on the Near North Side of Chicago, is undergoing an exciting transformation designed to end years of isolation for public housing residents through integration of public housing in a vibrant revitalized Near North Side neighborhood that will include a new Town Center, a commercial district with grocery store and shopping facilities, a district police station, new schools, and a community center."

It is too easy to just call the redevelopment "million dollar condos." I would guess that people say that because it is hard to believe that low-income people will actually be able to enjoy a healthy attractive community. I guess we're just too used to brick high-rises, concrete courtyards and broken elevators.

This explains the goals of Hope VI better.

"In accordance with section 24(a) of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937 (1937 Act), the purpose of HOPE VI Revitalization grants is to assist public housing agencies (PHAs) to:

(1) Improve the living environment for public housing residents of severely distressed public housing projects through the demolition, rehabilitation, reconfiguration, or replacement of obsolete public housing projects (or portions thereof);

(2) Revitalize sites (including remaining public housing dwelling units) on which such public housing projects are located and contribute to the improvement of the surrounding neighborhood;

(3) Provide housing that will avoid or decrease the con-centration of very low-income families; and

(4) Build sustainable communities.

JMello

JMello

Tue Mar-06-01 01:05 PM

13. "Read this shite..."
In response to Reply # 3

Stats on Cabrini Green:

Total Resident Population: approximately 6,335

Family Size: 2.8 persons per household

Age: 62% of all Cabrini-Green residents are under the age of 21

Income: 43% of Cabrini-Green residents earn less than $4,000 a year; and 77% earn less than $8,000 a year

Race/Ethnicity: 99 percent of Cabrini-Green residents are African American

Employment: approximately 7% of Cabrini-Green residents are employed

Oh, yeah they were much better off there

It also says that only 32% of the old apartments were occupied, the rest failing safety and health standards. So even though they are replacing the buildings with a smaller number of affordable units, the project will actually provide more low-income housing than the current configuration.

JMello

Inez
Charter member
7055 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 02:34 PM

17. "well..."
In response to Reply # 13

...like i said i need to do my research, but i'm not trusting facts from HUD of all places, they are the force behind all of this - they're interested in making money just like the next.

doesn't mean those facts are wrong either.

BUT, have you ever seen cabrini? known anyone from cabrini??
i have. i've seen it many times & i've seen the replacements as far as living & supermarkets & i've seen how the community has changed almost 180 degrees. I know people that were given ultimatums to move w/ no options of staying in that neighborhood....and after they've changed the neighborhood so much, i can't imagine many folks want to stay there, it's pretty affluent and "discriminating" .

and this has been a HUGE issue in Chicago for some time, mainstream & not so mainstream.

so i'll do my research, but i don't buy all those sparkling statistics.

peace.
starli
.listen to what the fuck i got to say.
http://www.geocities.com/junebugs_sister
fuck being hard, posdnous is complicated!

SUPPORT THIS
http://www.blumagazine.net/

... got a liter of knob creek and a bottle of ether
http://www.flickr.com/photos/annieappleseed/

JMello

Thu Mar-08-01 01:59 PM

18. "Well...well...well"
In response to Reply # 17

>...like i said i need to
>do my research, but i'm
>not trusting facts from HUD
>of all places, they are
>the force behind all of
>this - they're interested in
>making money just like the
>next.

The facts are from CHA, not HUD.

>doesn't mean those facts are wrong
>either.
>
>BUT, have you ever seen cabrini?

No.

>known anyone from cabrini??

Yes.

>i have. i've seen it many
>times & i've seen the
>replacements as far as living
>& supermarkets & i've seen
>how the community has changed
>almost 180 degrees.

And that's bad????

>I know
>people that were given ultimatums
>to move w/ no options
>of staying in that neighborhood....and
>after they've changed the neighborhood
>so much, i can't imagine
>many folks want to stay
>there, it's pretty affluent and
>"discriminating" .

Yeah, I'm sure all the former residents really wanted to live there too. You're talking like it was an average neighborhood, when in fact it was a crime-ridden warehouse for the poor meant to isolate and segregate.

>and this has been a HUGE
>issue in Chicago for some
>time, mainstream & not so
>mainstream.

Other cities too.

>so i'll do my research, but
>i don't buy all those
>sparkling statistics.

Sparkling? I don't think you read them very carefully.

JMello

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 09:58 AM

4. "In Baltimore"
In response to Reply # 0

the result was a combination of the other two cities mentioned.

all of the high rises have been torn down here in Baltimore City, and now there is an outcry from neighborhoods in Baltimore County and other middle class areas/suburbs that they don't want the low income/section 8 families moving in to their neighborhoods.

meanwhile, townhouses with hefty price tags have been put up on many of the former high rise sites. One plot of land that held a high rise has been bought by Johns Hopkins Hospital. Surely they'll be using it to expand their medical/research complexes.

so, while I'm glad they've gotten rid of the "warehouses" and all for the idea of revitalizing the city, I do not agree with the displacement of those involved.

L.

"Quentin's on his way/Quinton's on his way/Quentin's on his way/with another J/and it's ok!!/(we're gonna get high!!)" ~~Pharcyde

~~~~

JMello

Tue Mar-06-01 12:47 PM

10. "Sorry Honey"
In response to Reply # 4

Sorry honey,

But there is already way too much affordable housing in Baltimore. The rowhouses in most areas are probably cheaper than the projects. Besides, you could just squat in one of the thousands of abandoned properties and have your own home. What Baltimore needs is middle-class and upper-class housing. Believe me, Baltimore will NEVER be gentrified.

And this has nothing to do with racism or classism, it is strictly economics. The city desparately needs tax revenue and low-income housing doesn't exactly provide that.

JMello

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 02:16 PM

14. "didn't say there wasn't"
In response to Reply # 10

believe me, I know how cheap it is to live here...I'm considering moving soon.

I was just stating what I've been seeing in the news lately, and that is an outcry against low income folks moving into middle income neighborhoods. Whether or not they are being *pushed* out there...well, that's another story. But the influx is a result of people moving out of the high rises.

L.

~~~~

LexM
Charter member
28342 posts
Tue Mar-06-01 02:19 PM

15. "p.s.--who mentioned racism/classism? n/m"
In response to Reply # 14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~

JMello

Tue Mar-06-01 02:22 PM

16. "Just nipping it in the bud...n/m"
In response to Reply # 15

JMello

nahymsa
Charter member
1734 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 02:50 PM

22. "How can there be too much affordable housing?!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

Affordable housing is anything a person can afford. Penny Hardaways house if affordable for him.

> What Baltimore needs is middle-class and upper-class housing.
> Believe me, Baltimore will NEVER be gentrified.

Upper & middle class housing comes from the people who live there, not the building themselves.

JMello

Thu Mar-08-01 03:45 PM

24. "RE: How can there be too much affordable housing?!!!"
In response to Reply # 22

>Affordable housing is anything a person
>can afford. Penny Hardaways house
>if affordable for him.

Sorry let me clarify. I meant low-income and working class housing.

>
>> What Baltimore needs is middle-class and upper-class housing.
>> Believe me, Baltimore will NEVER be gentrified.
>
>Upper & middle class housing comes
>from the people who live
>there, not the building themselves.
>

No, it comes from the amount of money most people make in a particular metro area. And housing is definitely catered to certain economic groups by developers.

JMello

Isis

Tue Mar-06-01 11:44 AM

7. "think about this"
In response to Reply # 0

now, people have known since the late 1960s that housing projects didn't work. you can also argue they knew from the beginning and saw it as an easy way to monitor and control poor people of color.
why is it that back then when they knew it was jacked up, they didn't try to do anything but now they want to fix it up? because back then, nobody was looking to move into the city. now young people are moving in, people want to be in pretty, gentrified neighborhoods. they don't have any more space so instead they take down the projects so they can build better housing for people with money.
they take the people out of their neighborhoods and put them other places where they are unfamiliar. the excuse they use is that poor shouldn't be concentrated in one area. but then they spread people out so they don't have to deal with the problems behind the poor.

This life is temporary but the soul is eternal, separate the real from the lie, let me learn you. --Mos Def

JMello

Tue Mar-06-01 12:53 PM

11. "RE: think about this"
In response to Reply # 7

>now, people have known since the
>late 1960s that housing projects
>didn't work.

They worked at the beginning. They were used as transition housing for returning veterans.

>you can
>also argue they knew from
>the beginning and saw it
>as an easy way to
>monitor and control poor people
>of color.

Actually projects were all white when they were built. You think the federal government would provide housing for blacks back then??

>why is it that back then
>when they knew it was
>jacked up, they didn't try
>to do anything but now
>they want to fix it
>up?

Because they din't know how. We are only now as a nation figuring out how our cities work.

>because back then,
>nobody was looking to move
>into the city. now
>young people are moving in,
>people want to be in
>pretty, gentrified neighborhoods.

That's only happening in a few cities, most are still losing population. Also the Hope VI has been around for awhile, before the recent phenomenon you speak of.

>they
>don't have any more space
>so instead they take down
>the projects so they can
>build better housing for people
>with money.

Not true. Read my first post.

>they take the people out of
>their neighborhoods and put them
>other places where they are
>unfamiliar.

Cite examples please. Or are you fabricating?

>the excuse they
>use is that poor shouldn't
>be concentrated in one area.
> but then they spread
>people out so they don't
>have to deal with the
>problems behind the poor.

So you actually think it is good to have entire neighborhoods of low-income people???? You think that creates a healthy, livable community???

JMello

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Thu Mar-08-01 02:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "RE: think about this"
In response to Reply # 11

>>they take the people out of
>>their neighborhoods and put them
>>other places where they are
>>unfamiliar.

That's what urban renewal (aka Negro removal) was all about. Actually another reason projects were built was to house the people displaced by the slum clearance/urban renewal projects after WW2 through the early 60's.

I dont have any examples for this recent phenomenon of tearing down pj's (don't know enough about it), but back in the day examples abound.

classic example- Cross Bronx Expressway

A poor mixed community was destroyed by Robert Moses' highway project, leaving the world's most famous slum, the South Bronx, in its wake. Displaced blacks and Latino were overwhelmingly placed in PJ's south of the CBE, while whites were placed in PJ's to the north. A new, uglier slum was born.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Dujeous @ Bowery Ballroom
6 Delancey Street (at Bowery)
w/Addison Groove Project &
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

JMello

Thu Mar-08-01 02:40 PM

20. "Bronx Warehouses"
In response to Reply # 19

>classic example- Cross Bronx Expressway
>
>A poor mixed community was destroyed
>by Robert Moses' highway project,
>leaving the world's most famous
>slum, the South Bronx, in
>its wake. Displaced blacks and
>Latino were overwhelmingly placed in
>PJ's south of the CBE,
>while whites were placed in
>PJ's to the north. A
>new, uglier slum was born.
>

Yeah, the Bronx (mid to south) has some of the most representative examples of horrible neighborhood design and failed housing policies.

ex: Parkchester, Gun Hill, Co-op City, etc., etc.

JMello

Isis

Sun Mar-11-01 07:01 PM

25. "RE: think about this"
In response to Reply # 11

>>now, people have known since the
>>late 1960s that housing projects
>>didn't work.
>
>They worked at the beginning.
>They were used as transition
>housing for returning veterans.
>

Yes, that was the intial reason they were built but by the 1950s they were used as a place for blacks and latinos moving into cities in the north. By the late 1960s, after the riots in all the major cities, people began to realize something was wrong with the inner city and with projects.

>>you can
>>also argue they knew from
>>the beginning and saw it
>>as an easy way to
>>monitor and control poor people
>>of color.
>
>Actually projects were all white when
>they were built. You
>think the federal government would
>provide housing for blacks back
>then??

Yes, but they still needed a place to put blacks and latinos when they moved into the cities. It was the government that told them where to go and thus pushed them into these areas. This didn't happen initially but because of the success of the first projects, they saw it as an easy solution.

>
>>why is it that back then
>>when they knew it was
>>jacked up, they didn't try
>>to do anything but now
>>they want to fix it
>>up?
>
>Because they din't know how.
>We are only now as
>a nation figuring out how
>our cities work.

No, really, they knew how. They knew exactly why there were issues with projects. They promoted the idea of people moving out into the suburbs and did nothing when manufacturing left the cities. Urban policy has been in effect since urban renewal pre WWII. There is always a new solution to making the cities better. We don't even have the solution now, we just think we have a better one.

>
>>because back then,
>>nobody was looking to move
>>into the city. now
>>young people are moving in,
>>people want to be in
>>pretty, gentrified neighborhoods.
>
>That's only happening in a few
>cities, most are still losing
>population. Also the Hope
>VI has been around for
>awhile, before the recent phenomenon
>you speak of.

Yeah, that's true but I guess the examples I've seen of tearing down projects have only been in major cities where the population is going up, like Chicago.
>
>>they
>>don't have any more space
>>so instead they take down
>>the projects so they can
>>build better housing for people
>>with money.
>
>Not true. Read my first
>post.
>
>>they take the people out of
>>their neighborhoods and put them
>>other places where they are
>>unfamiliar.
>
>Cite examples please. Or are
>you fabricating?
>
They did this in Chicago with placing people in suburbs. It was supposed to put them closer to wher the jobs were but most of the peopel didn't have cars or transportation to get anywhere. They also felt isolated. They started building scatter-side housing in CT and a few other places that spreads people throughout suburban neighborhoods with mixed income.

>>the excuse they
>>use is that poor shouldn't
>>be concentrated in one area.
>> but then they spread
>>people out so they don't
>>have to deal with the
>>problems behind the poor.
>
>So you actually think it is
>good to have entire neighborhoods
>of low-income people???? You
>think that creates a healthy,
>livable community???

No, you can't have neighborhoods with all low-income people. But, when they create policies that change this, it usually has to do with the fact that they want to get rid of the eyesores more than they actually want to help the people. The objective isn't to help the community but to erase the ills of poverty.
I wrote my senior thesis on the inner city communities and the negative aspects of having high concentrations of poverty.
Yes, its an issue but when you only focus on the bad parts, you make it seem like these people are poor, helpless, and can't improve their situation. That is just not true.

This life is temporary but the soul is eternal, separate the real from the lie, let me learn you. --Mos Def

JMello

Thu Mar-15-01 03:27 PM

27. "Reiteration"
In response to Reply # 25

>>>now, people have known since the
>>>late 1960s that housing projects
>>>didn't work.
>>
>>They worked at the beginning.
>>They were used as transition
>>housing for returning veterans.
>>
>
>Yes, that was the intial reason
>they were built but by
>the 1950s they were used
>as a place for blacks
>and latinos moving into cities
>in the north. By
>the late 1960s, after the
>riots in all the major
>cities, people began to realize
>something was wrong with the
>inner city and with projects.

Actually most of the urban riots of the sixties didn't happen in projects. The ones in Philly were on Cecil B. Moore/ Columbia Ave., and in Boston they were in Grove Hall, a community of two-three family tenement housing, mainly lower-middle class. I don't agree with you that we (America) knew something was wrong with projects in the 60s. Most people (including those rioting)back then were arguing for more projects and low-income housing. I would posit that the late eighties and early nineties is when America finally woke up and realized its mistake.

>>>you can
>>>also argue they knew from
>>>the beginning and saw it
>>>as an easy way to
>>>monitor and control poor people
>>>of color.
>>
>>Actually projects were all white when
>>they were built. You
>>think the federal government would
>>provide housing for blacks back
>>then??
>
>Yes, but they still needed a
>place to put blacks and
>latinos when they moved into
>the cities. It was
>the government that told them
>where to go and thus
>pushed them into these areas.
> This didn't happen initially
>but because of the success
>of the first projects, they
>saw it as an easy
>solution.

Not true, they were pushed into foundering inner-city neighborhoods long before projects were built. Why do you think the PJs were built where they are???

>
>>
>>>why is it that back then
>>>when they knew it was
>>>jacked up, they didn't try
>>>to do anything but now
>>>they want to fix it
>>>up?
>>
>>Because they din't know how.
>>We are only now as
>>a nation figuring out how
>>our cities work.
>
>No, really, they knew how.
>They knew exactly why there
>were issues with projects.
>They promoted the idea of
>people moving out into the
>suburbs and did nothing when
>manufacturing left the cities.

People in the cities (mayors, planners, city councilors, residents) never thought that was a good idea!

>Urban policy has been in
>effect since urban renewal pre
>WWII.

I assume you mean after WWII?

>There is always
>a new solution to making
>the cities better. We
>don't even have the solution
>now, we just think we
>have a better one.

Well Chi-town, Boston, Seattle and San Fran have all gained population for the first time in 50 years this decade. It must work pretty well...unless you think cities should just be warehouses for the poor?

>
>>
>>>because back then,
>>>nobody was looking to move
>>>into the city. now
>>>young people are moving in,
>>>people want to be in
>>>pretty, gentrified neighborhoods.
>>
>>That's only happening in a few
>>cities, most are still losing
>>population. Also the Hope
>>VI has been around for
>>awhile, before the recent phenomenon
>>you speak of.
>
>Yeah, that's true but I guess
>the examples I've seen of
>tearing down projects have only
>been in major cities where
>the population is going up,
>like Chicago.

Population growth has nothing to do with "major" vs. "minor" cities. It has to do with successful urban policies.

>>
>>>they
>>>don't have any more space
>>>so instead they take down
>>>the projects so they can
>>>build better housing for people
>>>with money.
>>
>>Not true. Read my first
>>post.
>>
>>>they take the people out of
>>>their neighborhoods and put them
>>>other places where they are
>>>unfamiliar.
>>
>>Cite examples please. Or are
>>you fabricating?
>>
>They did this in Chicago with
>placing people in suburbs.
>It was supposed to put
>them closer to wher the
>jobs were but most of
>the peopel didn't have cars
>or transportation to get anywhere.
> They also felt isolated.
> They started building scatter-side
>housing in CT and a
>few other places that spreads
>people throughout suburban neighborhoods with
>mixed income.

As they should be. I don't believe in economic segregation, do you?

>
>>>the excuse they
>>>use is that poor shouldn't
>>>be concentrated in one area.
>>> but then they spread
>>>people out so they don't
>>>have to deal with the
>>>problems behind the poor.
>>
>>So you actually think it is
>>good to have entire neighborhoods
>>of low-income people???? You
>>think that creates a healthy,
>>livable community???
>
>No, you can't have neighborhoods with
>all low-income people. But,
>when they create policies that
>change this, it usually has
>to do with the fact
>that they want to get
>rid of the eyesores more
>than they actually want to
>help the people. The
>objective isn't to help the
>community but to erase the
>ills of poverty.

Check this out:

>I wrote my senior thesis on
>the inner city communities and
>the negative aspects of having
>high concentrations of poverty.
>Yes, its an issue but when
>you only focus on the
>bad parts, you make it
>seem like these people are
>poor, helpless, and can't improve
>their situation. That is
>just not true.

I think you're overgeneralizing...see link above for the way it should work. Also look for La Alianza Hispana, Tent City and Villa Victoria for examples of neighborhood self improvement.

Here's another one:

JMello

MisterGrump
Charter member
32144 posts
Sun Mar-11-01 07:13 PM

26. "In Chicago"
In response to Reply # 0

>What do you do with the
>people?

Move em out with the "promise" of them getting vouchers for housing in other areas.

>What happens to the land?

It gets redeveloped into more suitable, actually luxurious, housing for people in higher income brackets.

>Who Benefits?
The folks in the higher income brackets.Thass because those folks with the vouchers, the original inhabitants cannot find places where their vouchers are accepted. They get left assed out!!!

little.
http://members.blackplanet.com/GrumpyBear/

JMello

Thu Mar-15-01 03:30 PM

28. "Over-SIMPlification"
In response to Reply # 26

>>What do you do with the
>>people?
>
>Move em out with the "promise"
>of them getting vouchers for
>housing in other areas.
>
>
>>What happens to the land?
>
>It gets redeveloped into more suitable,
>actually luxurious, housing for people
>in higher income brackets.
>
>
>>Who Benefits?
>The folks in the higher income
>brackets.Thass because those folks with
>the vouchers, the original inhabitants
>cannot find places where their
>vouchers are accepted. They get
>left assed out!!!

It's much more complex than that, do you have a better plan to break the cycle of poverty and improve the lives of those stuck in low0income housing? Or do you prefer the status quo????

JMello

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #14266 Previous topic | Next topic