Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #13856

Subject: "MAU MAU" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
utamaroho

Sun Jun-03-01 06:48 AM

"MAU MAU"

After watching Bamboozled for the millionth time (finally bought another DVD besides Malcolm X) I got into a conversation with some of my brothers about the role of Mao Mao type elements within Afrikan culture. Taking this conversation to work where i'm surrounded by 98% continental afrikan people, Caribbean and latin american coworkers yielded pretty interesting findings...

Although the Mau Mau were unfocused, the idea of "policing self" is a concept found in many afrikan traditions around the globe. Many may be familiar with the David C. Johnson film "Drop Squad" about an underground militant group that kidnaps African-Americans who have sold out their race. (One advertisement features Spike Lee endorsing Gospelpak Fried Chicken which comes in a bucket with the Confederate flag draped all over it!) This brings up the point of the purpose and necessity of the Mau Mau in the movie. Aside from them drinking and being a parody of disillusioned militants with no direct whatsoever, their role was one that has been a part of afrikan tradition for years. The role of handling internal problems internally. (SEE: KEEPING IT IN HOUSE in the archive section.) All too often people forget that while they ridicule the police state and enforcers, they would call them up with a quickness to intervene in problems of their own almost instinctively. WHY? Because the idea of self-governing, self-defense, & self-rule are dead.

Even Spike, during the commentary on the DVD, said that they were stupid, and rightly so, but their role in the film is one that's existed for centuries by any people who control their politics and future. Some might scream "who are you to judge?" at the actions of the Mau Mau, but then again that's exactly the power they give this federal government to do to you, me, and everybody else...and look at this place!

"When you have no ability to create and secure your own reality, you have no power. And to see anything but the status quo exhibit any type of action, especially REVOLUTIONARY action, is aconsidered a threat and thus admonished."

(((((PEACE)))))

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: MAU MAU
Jun 03rd 2001
Click here:
Jun 04th 2001
From my Kikuyu friend:
Jun 06th 2001
The REAL Mau Mau
Jun 04th 2001
CARRIBEAN TIMES
utamaroho
Jun 03rd 2001
HISTORY TEACHES US...
utamaroho
Jun 03rd 2001
RE: HISTORY TEACHES US...
utamaroho
Jun 03rd 2001
FROM KENYAN BROTHERS HERE:
utamaroho
Jun 03rd 2001
RE: FROM KENYAN BROTHERS HERE:
Jun 05th 2001
synchronicity
Jun 03rd 2001
RE: Search
Jun 03rd 2001
MC SEARCH
utamaroho
Jun 04th 2001
      RE: MC SEARCH
Jun 04th 2001
           GOOD POINT
utamaroho
Jun 04th 2001
                RE: GOOD POINT
Jun 04th 2001
                too much of a mirror i think...
utamaroho
Jun 04th 2001
                     RE: too much of a mirror i think...
Jun 04th 2001
                     RE: too much of a mirror i think...
Jun 06th 2001
                     Speaking of Dr. Akbar
Jun 06th 2001
                Okay wait a minute
Jun 06th 2001
RE: MAU MAU
Jun 04th 2001
Who said this???
Jun 05th 2001
Sherman Elliott III
utamaroho
Jun 05th 2001
      Smart guy, that one.
Jun 06th 2001

Solitayre
Charter member
8114 posts
Sun Jun-03-01 06:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: MAU MAU"
In response to Reply # 0

I was informed by my moms that the MAU MAU were in REAL life an actual self policing party in Africa...Not only were they self policing but they were also saidto have been somewhat of a vigilante force, that avenged "myserious" deaths of bruthas and sistahs in mozambique...I might have it twisted but I have to research this myself. Especially when you think about how NO African History course in high school explained the significance of their contributions to their communities...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
People nowadays got self respect confused.They walk around all day talking about,"I'm a great person. I'm a wonderful person....ME, ME, ME."
That's not self esteem...That's vanity.
-BESSIE DeLANEY

I could make millions if I led my peple the wrong way, to something I know is wrong. So now I have to makea decision. To step into a billion dollars and denounce my people or step into poverty and teach them the truth.
-MUHAMMAD ALI

I'm open minded like a pothead
doin what I gotta do
to keep the spot fed.- COMMON

Only those who permit themselves to be are despised.-ALEX HALEY

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 06:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Click here:"
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1924&forum=DCForumID1&archive=yes#41

http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?
az=show_thread&om=1924&forum=DCForumID1&archive=yes#42

http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1924&forum=DCForumID1&archive=yes#43

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

On understanding Afrakan thought:
"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 06:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "From my Kikuyu friend:"
In response to Reply # 9

Some of it is true but not really. My grandfathers had taken the oath. In fact My mom's dad was a Mau Mau Freedom fighter and was imprisoned at Hola for 11 years. He never saw my mother when she was born, they met when she was about to turn 12. My mom's mother was tortured and raped for hiding Mau Mau freedom fighters while my Dad's father was a cook for one of the colonialist district officers. Dad's mom and his siblings picked coffee at one of the settlers farms for many years. My father vowed to buy the very land where his little brother was born while they kicked coffee and build a huge white house bigger than their Mnyapara ( settler boss) His mother kept on picking coffee after the birth of her last child and reported to work the following morning. Yes my dad did by the land where he picked coffee as a young boy with his family and yes he did build his big white house. My parents still have their British Passports that are mentioned in the first story. Their birth certificates do not identify them as Kenyans but as Kikuyu British subjects. My paternal grandfather kept the bicycle he used to ride about 80 miles to his village when he was given time off by his Mnyapara and all his stamped expired passes allowing him to travel home for the weekend. He finally left the Mnyapara and was among the first black E. A railroad builders ( much , much history etched in my heart)....
My mother's father's locks were cut off and used to make a tiny baby blanket for the first child born after his return home from prison in 11+ years.

Hotep Dedicated to Big Blak Afrika (Mos Def's character in _Bamboozled_). The story of what is known as the "Mau Mau rebellion" (from 1952 to 1959), is the tale of the African response to British imperialism in Kenya. Before the uprising, Europeans were living a life of idle luxury based on African land and labour. But in the post-Second World War world, resentment against colonial rule increased. One by one, African countries demanded self-rule. John Maina Kahihu from the Mau Mau's political wing said, "In 1942 we had fought for the British. But when we came home from the war they gave us nothing." The settlers felt themselves immune to the changing times. Willoughby Smith, a district officer in the Colonial Service from 1948 to 1955, testifies to this. "The settler knew a lot about how to use African labour. But he could not see what the use of that labour and the production of money was beginning to bring about. He could not see the political change." The fiercest opposition to the colonial authorities came from the Kikuyu (or Gikuyu) tribe who, 50 years earlier, had been evicted from their traditional areas to make way for the European farmers. By the end of the Second World War, 3,000 European settlers owned 43,000 square kilometres of the most fertile land, only 6 percent of which they cultivated. The designation "Mau Mau" was never used by the Kikuyu and does not exist in their language. It was, most probably, invented by the British as part of an attempt to demonize the Kikuyu people. Historian, John Lonsdale, explains how the movement was portrayed by the settlers and the government as "the welling up of the old unreconstructed Africa, which had not yet received sufficient colonial enlightenment and discipline, which proved that colonialism still had a job to do." The African population of 5.25 million occupied, without ownership rights, less than 135,000 square kilometres of the poorest land. On the "native reserves" much of the land was unsuitable for agriculture. The poor peasants had been forced to abandon their traditional methods of extensive agriculture and did not have access to the new technology that would make intensive agriculture viable. The population could not feed itself and the peasants were desperate. The core of the LFA was the Kikuyu Central Association (KCA), which was formed in 1924. Its original programme was a combination of radical demands such as the return of expropriated lands and the elimination of the passbook scheme, (similar to the internal passport system in South Africa), with a striving to return to the traditional pre-colonial past. In the late 1930s the KCA led a wave of mass peasant struggles against the forced sale of their livestock to the government. In the 1950s the KCA began conscripting support from the Kikuyu masses, believing it was possible to consolidate their support through the administration of "the oath". Jacob Njangi, an LFA fighter, explains, "We used to drink the oath. We swore we would not let white men rule us forever. We would fight them even down to our last man, so that man could live in freedom." When a staunch British loyalist, Chief Waruhu, was killed on 7 October 1952, the government saw the LFA as the first serious threat to colonial rule in post-war Africa. Two weeks later, on 20 October, a state of emergency was declared. Thousands of British troops and equipment were flown in to "clear the colony of the menace of 'Mau Mau'". Over 100 leading members of the Kenya African Union, a political party demanding greater African self-rule, were arrested. Along with others, Jomo Kenyatta was put on trial for subversion. Lonsdale, says that despite the fact that Kenyatta had publicly denounced 'Mau Mau' and advocated peaceful change, "the British and the white settlers were convinced that he was the brains behind the movement.... But they couldn't get the evidence." Nevertheless, Kenyatta was found guilty of incitement and imprisoned in a remote part of Kenya for seven years hard labour. Ten days into the start of emergency rule, almost 4,000 Africans had been arrested, but the attacks from the LFA continued. A wave of hysteria swept through the European settlers. In January 1953, after the killing of a European farmer and his family, angry settlers stormed government house demanding stronger action. In fact, more white settlers died in road accidents on the streets of Nairobi during the emergency than at the hands of the LFA. On March 25, 1953, a British loyalist village was destroyed and most of the inhabitants were killed, including Chief Luka and his family. The British portrayed this event as the LFA slaughter of innocent Kikuyu, to provide more propaganda against the dreaded "Mau Mau" (LFA). However, a short time before this incident, almost 100,000 Kikuyu farm workers and their families had been evicted from their homes in the Rift Valley - where they had been living as squatters on settler farms - and driven back to the reserve. Some of them had already been evicted 20 years earlier, to make way for European settlers. Chief Luka, who had been personally rewarded with good land, negotiated this government "land exchange scheme". The farm workers vented their anger against the chief, whom they considered to be a traitor and responsible for their plight. In a revenge attack the following day, 10 times more Kikuyu were killed by government forces and more houses were destroyed. The LFA faced the full force of British colonial power. The unequal nature of the conflict was illustrated by shots of fully armed British soldiers inter-cut with LFA fighters armed only with bows and arrows and spears. The forests of Mount Kenya, where the LFA had their base camps, were designated a "prohibited area" and heavily bombed. Peasants living on the fringes of the forest were evicted from the land, their animals confiscated and crops and huts burned to clear the way for the "free fire zone". Thousands were herded into overcrowded, heavily militarised "protected villages". In the "free fire zones" any African could be shot on sight. Rewards were offered to the units that produced the largest number of "Mau Mau" corpses, the hands of which were chopped off to make fingerprinting easier. Settlements suspected of harbouring "Mau Mau" were burned, and "Mau Mau" suspects were tortured for information. Reports of brutality by the British forces began to appear in the press. The Daily Worker carried a report under the headline: "Officer who quit says, 'It's Hitlerism'". The officer concerned was 19-year-old Second Lieutenant David Larder, who after killing an African, chopped off his hand. Afterwards he wrote home in anguish asking, "What has happened to me?" Other reports told of officers who paid their men five shillings a head "for every 'Mau Mau' they killed". One soldier testified in court that his officer had said he could shoot anybody he liked as long as they were black, because he wanted to increase his company's score of kills to 50. In late 1953 the British opened a new campaign, code named Operation Anvil, to cut off the supply network to the LFA. The first target was Nairobi, which was believed to be the centre of their organisation. On 24 April 1954, the police rounded up all the African inhabitants in the city - around 100,000 people. The 70,000 Kikuyu were separated and screened. Of them, up to 30,000 men were taken to holding camps. The families of the arrested men were pushed into the already overcrowded native reserves. In rural areas Kikuyu were forced into fortified villages, where they lived under 23-hour curfew. This policy, known as "villagisation", was claimed to be "purely protective and beneficial for the Africans". It gave the colonial authorities total control over the Kikuyu. Taking the Mau Mau oath was made a capital offence. Between 1953 and 1956 more than 1,000 Africans were hanged for alleged Mau Mau crimes. Public hangings, which had been outlawed in Britain for over a century, were carried out in Kenya during the emergency Lonsdale explains, "A mobile gallows was transported around the country dispensing 'justice' to 'Mau Mau' suspects.... Dead 'Mau Mau', especially commanders, were displayed at cross-roads, at market places and at administrative centres." In 1954 one-third of all Kikuyu men were said to be in prison. These detainees had not been convicted of any crime and were held without trial. The British government insisted that every prisoner had to denounce "the oath" and submit to a "cleansing ceremony". By 1956 the LFA had been militarily defeated, but the camps still held 20,000 detainees who refused to confess to taking the oath, so the emergency remained in force. The huge cost involved forced London to demand that a faster way be found to "cleanse" detainees of their oaths. PEace Solarus "Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus
Remove <http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcadmin.cgi?az=admin_board_manager&command=admin_remove_messages&forum=DCForumID1&thread_select=1924&selected=41> | Alert <http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=alert&forum=DCForumID1&om=1924&omm=41> Reply <http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=post&forum=DCForumID1&om=1924&omm=41> | Reply With Quote <http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?quote=not_empty&az=post&forum=DCForumID1&om=1924&omm=41> | Top

<< OLE Object: Picture (Metafile) >> Solarus <http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?
>http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1924&forum=DCForumID1&archive=yes#41
>
>http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?
>az=show_thread&om=1924&forum=DCForumID1&archive=yes#42
>
>http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1924&forum=DCForumID1&archive=yes#43
>
>PEace
>Solarus
>
>***Words of Wisdom***
>
>"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's
>not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John
>Henrik Clarke
>
>"We are not the victims! We
>are just fighting forces that
>we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference
>
>
>"You don't have the RIGHT to
>have free time from your
>children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto
>
>"It is the worst feeling to
>hear the call of the
>drum and not be able
>to respond."-Solarus
>
>On understanding Afrakan thought:
>"it's like explaining astrophysics to a
>whino, the explanation can't be
>done like that. when people
>try to simplify it, they
>ask the other person to
>tailor the answers their cultural
>context. and trying to cater
>afrikan ideals to european understanding
>is a REAL sin."-utamaroho

"Don't Hate the PLAYA Boy...hate the GAME," Granddad Freeman of the Boondocks(7-11-99)

*Twenty-three percent of women are "autoerotic singles" — they prefer to achieve sexual satisfaction alone(source-bet.com)

*If U have won a Grammy, one of two things are at play: 1. Your shit is TIGHT
2. U are white
-(Me)

"'Cuz U answer the phone 'peace' that means U not a freak?"-The Questions(c) Common

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oooo baby I like it raw. Oooo baby I like it RAAAW!(c)ODB- Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Afroteck
Charter member
4590 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 08:08 AM

14. "The REAL Mau Mau"
In response to Reply # 1

Here is a report I did for my World history calss about the Mau Mau. I know there amy be some typos, but i got a 93 on it

The Mau Mau Insurrection

Colonial Background

The Berlin Conference was held in 1894, which divided the entire continent of Africa into several separate mandates. Each of the members of the League of Nations were given a piece of the land, which were founded as colonies. England was one of the countries that claimed and settled this land. One of the colonies founded was British East Africa, a small plot of land on the east coast of Africa, located just south of the “tusk” of Africa. Today, this piece of land is referred to as Kenya.
This colony was founded by the British government, and the majority of the white settlers were rich families of men of high military status.

Origin of the Mau Mau

During this time, white settlers had large plots of land on the hilly lands below the mountains in Kenya. In the 1930's, the plots of land they owned were so large that they were unable to maintain all of the terrain, so Africans were allowed to build small plots of land, or “squat” on the unused portions. Most of the Africans in these settlements were members the Kikuyu (also known as Gikuyu) tribe which made up the majority of the people in Kenya.
Beginning in 1945, these squatters were evicted from this land in order to make room for other white immigrants and form larger cities. This gave rise to the Mau Mau society, a group of radical Kikuyu that were set to scare the white settlers out of the mountains.
The origin of the term Mau Mau is not entirely known. “Mau Mau” was a derogatory term for Africans. The name most likely came from the range of mountains bordering the rift valley, where the Mau Mau resided. Another possible origin of the name could be that this was the battle cry of the secret society.

The early activities of the Mau mau, who preferred to be known as freedom fighters, were of the press-gang variety, and were primarily targeted at fellow Kikuyu to get them to join the forthcoming rebellion. The ones who agreed to join them took part in religious ceremonies and took unbreakable oaths which bound them to the secret society. Those who resisted were found in rivers, their bodies tied in wire, or even worse dismembered..
The Mau Mau used the Kikuyu’s high reverence for magical incantations and oaths against them, almost tricking them into loyalty.
The Mau Mau took refuge in the thick, bamboo forest at the tallest points of the mountains. This tropical bamboo provided a perfect hiding place for them, making them invisible from outside of the forest, yet giving them a clear view of all that happened outside of the jungle. With the loyalties they had acquired in the Kikuyu people, the Freedom Fighters were able to obtain high powered assault rifles and other advanced weapons. When these were not available, they crafted their own crude guns out of pipe, hinges and other random materials.

Attack of the Mau Mau

The first acts against the English were simply acts of minor terrorism that were intended to scare them out of their land. This gradually led to more and more gruesome acts that included, but were not limited to the burning of barns and other buildings to the slaughter and disembowelment of livestock.
In 1952, an elderly family in the mountains was killed and slaughtered in their home, sparking a wave of fear through the white people of Kenya. A few weeks later, the Lari massacre occurred. During the night, hundreds of Lari people (an African tribe loyal to the Europeans) were burned in their huts. Although the murderers were never caught or identified, the white government credited the massacre to the Mau.
This sent the white population into an outrage. The government then went into a state of Emergency which it did not exit until 1960. This created a great fear, suspicion and hatred of blacks for the white settlers. They felt that no Negro could be trusted, even their long-time loyal servants. The result created an effect similar to the Salem witch trials.
Although only about 100 whites were killed by the Mau, over 15,000 Kikuyu were killed, most of whom were not even involved in the rebellion. Through a British campaign called Operation Anvil, over 70, 000 Kikuyu were screened, and 30,000 were sent to concentration camps. Allegedly, British soldiers were offered 5 shillings per Mau Mau member killed.
At this time, an educated black journalist named Jomo Kenyatta developed a role of leadership among the black Kenyans. The British government blamed Kenyatta for the Mau Mau rebellion, although he was not affiliated with the society. Even though he did not support the group, he believed in their cause, and did not force the group to disband. Jomo was punished by serving almost ten years in jail.In 1957, Dedan Kimathi was captured and executed for being the actual leader of the Mau Mau, thus ending the terror of the Mau.
The Mau Mau rebellion began the downfall of the British empire, which quickly spread to the other British colonies. In 1961, after being released from prison, Kenyatta took up leadership of the Kenyan African Union. On December 12, 1963, he became the prime minister of the new country, Kenya. At the same time, he was also named president.
________________________________________________________________________________

Afroteck a.k.a. Soap

July is Roberta Flack month

utamaroho

Sun Jun-03-01 06:55 AM

2. "CARRIBEAN TIMES"
In response to Reply # 0

there is an article of how the people in this villiage are taking the law into their ow hands because the police arrive too late for the wave of robberies going on there. in a week they were crime free. sources say the threat came from outside the villiage and they were just tired of giving someone else their power to do what they could do themselves.

who were they to judge? a community! when like minded idividuals come together they form policy and act on it as seen in this example. the Mau Mau in the movie had the same concept, just misdirected. they attacked a branch instead of going towards the roots.

NEW MILLINEUM DROP SQUAD ANYONE?

i know cued is down (where you been man?)

(((((SCENE FROM AMISTAD)))))

Baldwin(white man): "I said it! I said it! But I shouldn't have. Now what I should have said..."

Translator: "I can't translate that. I can't translate SHOULD."

Roger Baldwin: "You mean there's no word in Mende for SHOULD?"

Translator: "No, either you do something or you don't don't do it."

Roger Baldwin: "What I said to you before the judgment is ALMOST how it works, ALMOST..."

Cinqué (Sengbe): "What kind of place is this?!? Where you almost mean what you say?!? Where laws almost work?!? How can you live like this?!?"

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Sun Jun-03-01 06:57 AM

3. "HISTORY TEACHES US..."
In response to Reply # 0

Mau Mau Rebellion, uprising against British rule in Kenya that began in 1952 after a long buildup of resentment caused primarily by appropriation of land. Tired of having its grievances ignored, the African community, and especially the Kikuyu, one of Kenya's most numerous ethnic groups, gradually moved toward more radical actions. Some outbreaks of violence occurred in 1951, and the following year a secret Kikuyu society known as Mau Mau began a campaign of violence against Europeans and disloyal Africans. In October 1952 the British declared a state of emergency and deployed troops to stamp out the rebellion. Jomo Kenyatta, leader of the Kenya African Union, a predominantly Kikuyu political party, was arrested and charged with organizing Mau Mau. In 1953 he was sentenced to seven years in prison. Before the rebellion was quashed three years later, 11,000 rebels had been killed, and a total of 80,000 Kikuyu—men, women, and children—were confined in detention camps; on the other side, some 100 Europeans and 2000 pro-British Africans lost their lives. Although it was a military failure, Mau Mau rebellion brought both recognition of African grievances and efforts at correction that eventually led to Kenya's independence.

Baldwin(white man): "I said it! I said it! But I shouldn't have. Now what I should have said..."

Roger Baldwin: "What I said to you before the judgment is ALMOST how it works, ALMOST..."

Cinqué (Sengbe): "What kind of place is this?!? Where you almost mean what you say?!? Where laws almost work?!? How can you live like this?!?"

(((((PEACE)))))

utamaroho

Sun Jun-03-01 06:59 AM

4. "RE: HISTORY TEACHES US..."
In response to Reply # 3

and the following year a secret Kikuyu society known as Mau Mau began a campaign of violence against Europeans and disloyal Africans...

most people were oblivious to this concept in the movie. hope this might clear things up a little...EVERYTHING WAS SYMBOLIC!

"it just shows me how pitiful and sad african americans are." -my Jamaican brother Duwayne after seeing movie for the first time.

utamaroho

Sun Jun-03-01 07:07 AM

5. "FROM KENYAN BROTHERS HERE:"
In response to Reply # 0

...at work.

"the Mau Mau are considered the originators of locks (modern day perceptions anyways) in that they vowed not to cut their hair until those filthy British were gone (his emphasis not mine)."

"they possed the spirits of warrior ancestors that were needed and are always needed when injustices rise."

It became a terror tactic in that the british were scared at this new sight of "unkempt hair", hence "DREAD"LOCKS.

(((((PEACE)))))

madawaka
Charter member
798 posts
Tue Jun-05-01 08:46 AM

17. "RE: FROM KENYAN BROTHERS HERE:"
In response to Reply # 5

wow its nice to learn some thing new, (dread locs & Mau Mau's) glad I surfed in.

There's no love like revolutionary
love!!! I'm waiting for the Black MAN to
stand up and be the soldier he was
meant to be.....check out
http://www.soulsista.net &
http://www.illpoets.com

does everybody have a blackplanet account?It's fun why not?

CHECK OUT!!!
http://welcome.to/OkayPoets
SOULSISTA BABY!!!
OkayPoets in the House!!!!

Intelligence is like a river, the deeper it flows the quiter it becomes

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take

All praises to the Ansestors that light my way though the darkness

www.illpoets.com

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Sun Jun-03-01 05:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "synchronicity"
In response to Reply # 0

I finally saw the movie last nite...

Wonderful.

The closing credits almost made me cry.

What do you think was the point of having MC Serch (the white dude) in the Mau Maus? He finally had some significance at the end when he wasn't killed becuase of his skin color. But otherwise Im not sure...Was it just to make the Maus look even more hypocritical?

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Dujeous @ Bowery Ballroom
6 Delancey Street (at Bowery)
w/Addison Groove Project &
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

NonCompos
Charter member
88 posts
Sun Jun-03-01 05:54 PM

7. "RE: Search"
In response to Reply # 6

...first lemme say that I'm glad to have come across this thread. Second: up here in NH (yep I'm white) almost nobody's heard of Bamboozled, so after I bought the DVD, I really didn't have anyone to talk to... and I think I need a few more viewings (w/ and w/o spike's comentary) to absorb the film.... but the question of Search's presence among the Mau Mau really struck me, especially juxtaposed with the character Rapaport played: Both characters beleive they have 'blackness' or know themselves as 'black', but cleary Search's character is accredited (knowing what I do know about him, I just kinda accepted his being in the Mau Mau) but Rapaport's character isn't (he annoyed me) ... I know this might be getting off the point, but what do you all think this means? Maybe the point was this:

.... if you know one else's experiences well enough, if you share in those experiences, you have a sort of immaterial bond that transcends lines that are traditionally drawn around certain issues. I think Search exemplifies this w/ respect to hip-hop culture in real life, as his charcter does in the movie with the Mau Mau. BUT, it is only those people with whom you share that bond that actually transcend the lines... the cops only saw white and acted accordingly at the end of the movie.. they had no context for what Search's character was truly about. And I say truly because he seemed to genuinely believe he should've fallen with the other Mau Mau... but I think rappaport's character woulda been like,"Geez thanks guys!".

I don't know, I'm just kinda ramblin'. Maybe Spike was trying to touch on the dynamics of diffuculty when it comes to those relationships that people form across lines of color and yet still have to be presented with a realty that very much exists along those same lines...

utamaroho

Mon Jun-04-01 03:27 AM

8. "MC SEARCH"
In response to Reply # 6

who i'd never even heard of till someone explained him and his history to me...

represented the "accepted white guy" who sometimes and often annoyingly hovers around the honeypot of "blackness" trying to fit in. disgruntled by his peers he seeks some level of "originalness" or "coolness" by associating with black people. there is one in every setting. here at work a white dude baught a book on rastafari and read it before coming up and introducing himself to me, thinking i was a rasta, and asked me about them, and weed, and locks. i was like:

"you don't even know me man, i don't even go here, i know who the fuck mumia is!" -classic Talib Kweli

...anyways, once the position of any black group is established there will be white people there to cling on and ride it out. PERIOD. not a bad thing, just a thing. who cares. the fat that he called himself 1/16th black was just pitiful though, how can you be 1/16th black? octaroon? WTF? who came up with this shit? and why does th idea still persist? and his line "it only takes one drop of black blood?" get outta here with that! i would be allies with some of the white people on these boards before some of the gross african-american negroes here in the south...culture, culture, culture. physical qualifications of blackness are elementary observations.

"i'm just keepin' it real." -everybody in Bamboozled

(((((PEACE)))))

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 07:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "RE: MC SEARCH"
In response to Reply # 8

>who i'd never even heard of
>till someone explained him and
>his history to me...

Actually the really odd thing was when he said:

"Bad guys wear black/mustve been a white guy who invented all that"

which is a classic 3rd Bass quote, I believe it's from "gas face" but I can't remember right now.

It was bugged out but real (like the rest of the movie).

>
>represented the "accepted white guy" who
>sometimes and often annoyingly hovers
>around the honeypot of "blackness"
>trying to fit in. disgruntled
>by his peers he seeks
>some level of "originalness" or
>"coolness" by associating with black
>people. there is one in
>every setting.

I knew that, but I thought it might've gone a bit deeper with him. It only did that at the end when he wasnt killed. For Mantan the penalty for "crossing over" was death, but Serch only received a slap on the wrist. A message to all the "white negros" or "wiggers" or whatever you wanna call them, who think they have it so hard.

>
>"you don't even know me man,
>i don't even go here,
>i know who the fuck
>mumia is!" -classic Talib Kweli
>

hehe

>
>...anyways, once the position of any
>black group is established there
>will be white people there
>to cling on and ride
>it out. PERIOD. not a
>bad thing, just a thing.
>who cares.

I dunno, In the case of the Mau Maus, Serch seemed like a central figure, not a clinger on. I cant help but think its a bad thing for the Mau Maus. Serch, a white man, directly aided in the killing of Mantan in the name of protecting Afrikan culture. Seems a bit close for comfort.

the fat that
>he called himself 1/16th black
>was just pitiful though, how
>can you be 1/16th black?
>octaroon? WTF?

You'd be surprised (actually, then again, you probly wouldn't be :)). I actually know quite a few "white Negros" who proudly claim they have a drop of black blood (a black great-grandfather, for example) or even "Latin blood" (whatever that means) as if it gives them credibility.
Funny stuff.

>
>"i'm just keepin' it real." -everybody
>in Bamboozled

I didnt even notice that everyone said that....thats funny. It was a damn good movie. It went WAAAAY over most people's heads.

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

utamaroho

Mon Jun-04-01 07:40 AM

11. "GOOD POINT"
In response to Reply # 10

>>I cant help but think its a bad thing for the Mau Maus. Serch, a white man, directly aided in the killing of Mantan in the name of protecting Afrikan culture. Seems a bit close for comfort.

(((((PEACE)))))

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 07:58 AM

12. "RE: GOOD POINT"
In response to Reply # 11

I actually this is one Spikes best (up there with Malcolm X, Do The Right Thing). In some ways its his most insightful and his most revolutionary. The odd thing is, so many people who loved his other movies were not feeling Bamboozled. Was it TOO recolutionary for them?

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

utamaroho

Mon Jun-04-01 08:04 AM

13. "too much of a mirror i think..."
In response to Reply # 12

...and cats are scared of the truth...

...that and the fact that if you attack something people like, coonery, bufoonery, etc. they'll instinctively get defensive. imagine asking people to give up def comedy jam to give Naim Akbar some airtime!

(((((PEACE)))))

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 08:33 AM

15. "RE: too much of a mirror i think..."
In response to Reply # 13

haha. True. Also so many people kept forgetting that it was a satire: it was supposed to be a surreal exaggeration that nonetheless pointed to the truth. A lot of people said they thought Delacriox's accent was "too much." But that was the point. It was supposed to be ridiculous, ludicrous, exaggerated, etc. It was purposeful overkill, intended to really drive the point into our heads and truly expose the real-life racial ridicoulous-ness (???) we take for granted every day.

Also Spike wanted us to feel guilty for enjoying the coonery of Def Comedy jam, WB, UPN, etc. He was trying to make us laugh and make us feel guilty for laughing at the same time. Ingenious. This became particularly clear when one of the Mau Maus (actually it lookes I think it was DJ Scratch from the Flipmode Squad) starts laughing at Mantan in spite of himself.

Bamboozled definitely hit too close for home for some people. The truth hurts as you said. The characters of Dunwitty and MC Serch definitely got me to thinking about how I have to be careful in my role as a white man who is 1) "immersed" (or whatever you wanna call it) in black culture, from music to clothes, to job, to friends, to girlfriend and 2) "aligned" with black anti-racism efforts. It's a veeeeery thin line to walk. Serch and Dunwitty both did a poor job of walking it (alhtough obviously Serch did a better job, or at least a less harmful one).

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 06:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "RE: too much of a mirror i think..."
In response to Reply # 15

I told my supervisor that I think I am Big Blak Afrika. Talkin' strong, but what REAL difference am I making in my community from up here in this Ivory Tower? she said: "I don't think that's true. Besides, the Mau-mau's lacked vision for all their rhetoric. You donot lack vision. You just need to decide which way you want to go is all." Hmmmmm. "I" wonder.....

>>haha. True.
>
>Bamboozled definitely hit too close for
>home for some people. The
>truth hurts as you said.

"Don't Hate the PLAYA Boy...hate the GAME," Granddad Freeman of the Boondocks(7-11-99)

*Twenty-three percent of women are "autoerotic singles" — they prefer to achieve sexual satisfaction alone(source-bet.com)

2. U are white
-(Me)

"'Cuz U answer the phone 'peace' that means U not a freak?"-The Questions(c) Common

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 06:53 AM

23. "Speaking of Dr. Akbar"
In response to Reply # 13

Uta,

Can you get off from work for Father's Day? Na'im Akbar is speaking at my church on that day, and I want you to come w/ me to hear him speak.
I'LL DRIVE(of course).

peace.

>>imagine asking people
>to give up def comedy
>jam to give Naim Akbar
>some airtime!
>
>
>(((((SCENE FROM AMISTAD)))))
>
>Baldwin(white man): "I said it! I
>said it! But I shouldn't
>have. Now what I should
>have said..."
>
>Translator: "I can't translate that. I
>can't translate SHOULD."
>
>Roger Baldwin: "You mean there's no
>word in Mende for SHOULD?"
>
>
>Translator: "No, either you do something
>or you don't don't do
>it."
>
>Roger Baldwin: "What I said to
>you before the judgment is
>ALMOST how it works, ALMOST..."
>
>
>Cinqué (Sengbe): "What kind of place
>is this?!? Where you almost
>mean what you say?!? Where
>laws almost work?!? How can
>you live like this?!?"
>
>(((((PEACE)))))

2. U are white
-(Me)

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 06:49 AM

21. "Okay wait a minute"
In response to Reply # 11

W/ the Mau-mau's how was Spike being symbolic, considering what the REAL Mau-mau's stood for? Are you referring to the fact that they took it upon themselves to take=out a sell-out Black man, but lacked the vision and insight to recognize the Michael Rappaports of the world as the REAL enemy?

>>>I cant help but think its a bad thing for the Mau Maus. Serch, a white man, directly aided in the killing of Mantan in the name of protecting Afrikan culture. Seems a bit close for comfort.

2. U are white
-(Me)

Christ o
Charter member
449 posts
Mon Jun-04-01 06:35 PM

16. "RE: MAU MAU"
In response to Reply # 0

and peace to the Mau-Mau Nation from back in the day, Tasker Homes. out.

*#@!

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Tue Jun-05-01 09:10 AM

18. "Who said this???"
In response to Reply # 0

>>"When you have no ability to
>create and secure your own
>reality, you have no power.
>And to see anything but
>the status quo exhibit any
>type of action, especially REVOLUTIONARY
>action, is aconsidered a threat
>and thus admonished."
>
>
>(((((PEACE)))))

2. U are white
-(Me)

utamaroho

Tue Jun-05-01 09:18 AM

19. "Sherman Elliott III"
In response to Reply # 18

the one and only...

ya Setshego
Charter member
4259 posts
Wed Jun-06-01 06:51 AM

22. "Smart guy, that one."
In response to Reply # 19

Hey, what has he written? I don't think I have anything by him yet......

2. U are white
-(Me)

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #13856 Previous topic | Next topic