Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #12979

Subject: "Culture vs. Economics" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
celephaiz

Fri Jul-13-01 09:15 AM

"Culture vs. Economics"

this is an offshoot of the 10 reasons not to trust whitefolks posts

I know that the stereotypes and attitudes toward differnt races are a product of society and culture but how much of it is attributed to culture and how much is caused by their economic situation? I know that the economic situation is influenced by culture. However, it is very difficult to change a culture, and somewhat easier to alter the economic situation.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
economics
Jul 13th 2001
RE: economics
celephaiz
Jul 13th 2001
      RE: economics
Jul 13th 2001
           the poor
celephaiz
Jul 13th 2001
Question
Jul 13th 2001
This makes no sense.
Jul 14th 2001
it's not one way
Jul 14th 2001

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Fri Jul-13-01 09:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "economics"
In response to Reply # 0

is an extension of culture...

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

celephaiz

Fri Jul-13-01 09:31 AM

2. "RE: economics"
In response to Reply # 1

Really? i was not aware of that! but truthfully you're missing my question. If i wasnt clear enough, the stereotypes etc. are a product of one aspect of culture. My question pertains to how much of the minority situations and problems are caused by their economic situation

M2
Charter member
10072 posts
Fri Jul-13-01 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: economics"
In response to Reply # 2

I think urbgriot mean that US culture caused the economic situation of Blacks.....which in turn caused a lot of the problems Blacks have.

Particularly, since poor whites and Blacks have a lot of the same problems...but the problems Blacks have are compounded by Racism..E.g. Culture.

Peace,

M2

The Blog: http://www.analyticalwealth.com/

An assassin’s life is never easy. Still, it beats being an assassin’s target.

Enjoy your money, but live below your means, lest you become a 70-yr old Wal-Mart Greeter.

celephaiz

Fri Jul-13-01 10:17 AM

4. "the poor"
In response to Reply # 3

Well the poor should always have it rough. Ideally there would be no poor, but since that is an unreality we'll forget that part.

The problem that concerns me is that the number of blacks below the poverty line is too high. The percentage of black citizens below the poverty line is well, and i mean well, over their representation in the overall population. This is a problem begun by one part of culture, but it is currently an economic problem with potential economic remedies

cued
Charter member
1748 posts
Fri Jul-13-01 03:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you really interesting in what anyone else has to say or are you simply pimping your line and daring anyone to cross that line in the sand?

Peace,

Q

"I'm just sayin' tho" - copied from another OKP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali

"When the revolution comes, "faggots" won't be so funny." - The Last Poets

** Most people mis-read this line. I don't think he is being homophobic. I think he's making sure you folks know, within our communities, those of you who laugh at

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Sat Jul-14-01 04:45 AM

6. "This makes no sense."
In response to Reply # 0

HTP

urbgriot said it best "economics is an extension of culture..."

The one-sidedness that you are requiring of the responder is narrow and meaningless. To "look past" culture and base all of the problems of minority simply on their "economic situations," is not only ridiculous but impossible. Culture is NOT, I repeat, NOT a variable within the equation of economics, attitudes, stereotypes, etc. Instead culture is the culmination of guidelines, rules and structure that make the equation even possible.

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"Every time you rise from your sleeping state, you have been reincarnated. Every time you recover from a bad experience, you have been reincarnated. Every time you have been given a new lease on life, you have been reincarnated. Every time you breath in and out, take in the fresh breath of life and feel the divine intelligence flowing in and around you, you have been reincarnated."- Mfundishi Bakari

On "love":

"I am in love everyday, whether I am with someone or not. Why? All love is based on a search for spirit. For me love is timeless, transcendent, peaceful, freeing, soul-based, unifying, and enhanced evolution. This is the basis of my activism."- Nettrice, the embodiment of Oshun

"Since we all make up the rules as we go along, love can mean many different things to many different people. But, for me love is a total commitment to understanding that is not limited to just people but is open to the totality of life. As long as we approach love from a fear based mentality and perceive it through veils of guardedness and anxiety, it will always be restricted by our fears."- Mfundishi Bakari

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Sat Jul-14-01 07:03 AM

7. "it's not one way"
In response to Reply # 0

Culture is influenced by economics, just as economics is influenced by culture. It makes most sense to discuss both, rather than focusing on one or the other. But yes, changing the economic structure can change culture. Just look at how the role of marriage has changed in western society.

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #12979 Previous topic | Next topic