Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #11491

Subject: "the next level" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
utamaroho

Mon Oct-01-01 11:42 AM

"the next level"

i'm about to go home, but just wanted to know some of you all's ideas on how to make this board better, or how you'd like to get more out of it? all the personal critiques aside, what are some things we could talk about/exchange/accomplish that you would like to see?

me: more group efforts in research...

for example; being that there is a small folloowing of people interested in ancient egyptian history, maybe a post that asks a question and then invites those interested to help in the sometimes immense task of information gathering to actually find that answer.

this comes about from my almost exhausted quest to answer a question i've had for a while about the origins of the word "KMT". sometimes with the help of others interested in the same field, ideas and thoguht processes that are hidden, can come to light.

...anyways, what are some of yall's ideas and interests for the boards future? i think the chronicles of fasting, and the black history thing, as well as book drive and book discussion posts are great. any ideas for the next level? i'm sure we could use each others' talents and resources more efectively.

(((((PEACE)))))

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i really dig the book hilights
Oct 01st 2001
hells yeah!
utamaroho
Oct 01st 2001
      headers
Oct 01st 2001
      RE: hells yeah!
Oct 02nd 2001
RE: the next level
Oct 01st 2001
action
Oct 01st 2001
RE: action
Oct 01st 2001
when i started learning hieroglyphs....
utamaroho
Oct 01st 2001
      i took a math class
Oct 01st 2001
      it starts tommorow...
utamaroho
Oct 01st 2001
           RE: it starts tommorow...
Oct 01st 2001
      RE: when i started learning hieroglyphs....
Oct 01st 2001
Oct 01st 2001
Action
Oct 01st 2001
I totally agree
Oct 01st 2001
Oct 01st 2001
OkayActivistProject
Oct 01st 2001
RE: OkayActivistProject
Oct 01st 2001
      Books and publications
Oct 02nd 2001
           a bible
Oct 02nd 2001
Oct 01st 2001
heh...
Oct 03rd 2001
      RE: heh...
Oct 06th 2001
Oct 01st 2001
I'd like to see
Oct 02nd 2001
Make this a resource.
Oct 02nd 2001
RE: Make this a resource.
Oct 02nd 2001
RE: Make this a resource.
Oct 02nd 2001
Online Learning
Oct 02nd 2001
      thass what i'm talkin bout
Oct 02nd 2001
           RE: thass what i'm talkin bout
Oct 02nd 2001
start small
Oct 02nd 2001
RE: start small
Oct 02nd 2001
If not action...
Oct 02nd 2001
we need regional groups...
Oct 03rd 2001
where areya?
Oct 03rd 2001
      New Haven/Bay Area
Oct 05th 2001
break down of KMT
Oct 06th 2001
KNOWLEDGE REIGNS SUPREME...ONE
Oct 07th 2001

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 11:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i really dig the book hilights"
In response to Reply # 0

including chapters of contents and highlights for various books ppl read. between us all, we cover far more books than one person alone can finish

i also like the idea of group research

we could also maybe set out to condense and update the archives to make them more thorough and compact

for example, many of the fasting/ vegetrianism/ bowel maintenence posts can be condensed and archived

there's so much repetition, but also we're all growing over time. the community is growing also.

i agree, that book drive was great!

also the readalong book discussion thing, which i suspect will soon be divided into 3-4 readalong teams........

we could also compile thorough resource lists-

.....hmmmmm.....

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

"if i'm smart enough to sneak around and learn to fly a plane to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter i doubt i would be stupid enough to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car
unless i wanted you to think i was something that i'm not" (c) 2ndsurvivor

DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word

useful links:
news: http://www.blackelectorate.com/links.asp
veg: http://www.vrg.org

"Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere"
- Amiri Baraka

http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines

BUY MY BOOK- only $6! Inbox me for details

utamaroho

Mon Oct-01-01 11:57 AM

2. "hells yeah!"
In response to Reply # 1

>>we could also compile thorough resource lists-

GREAT IDEA!

condensing and/or rearranging the archives would be nice too...maybe with headers for each section...

(((((PEACE)))))

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "headers"
In response to Reply # 2

u have no idea how much i fantasize abt those headings

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

"if i'm smart enough to sneak around and learn to fly a plane to get me and all my friends enough false i.d. to board us airplanes to get me and all my friends through metal detectors and past security guards while hiding weapons to make an entire plane load of people afraid of my boxcutter i doubt i would be stupid enough to leave all the evidence behind in a rental car

useful links:

- Amiri Baraka

Ananse
Charter member
6104 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 03:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "RE: hells yeah!"
In response to Reply # 2

Although I'm the "new" kid, I think comprising a bibliography of sorts (like the one Asa Hillard put out) is a great idea and well worth the time and effort. Not only can you see (in front of you) the direction you grow by what you read, you can also see what titles are available that you may not know about. Dare I mention that this list might be published or distributed (if it's all about Nation Building).

Ananse the Spiderman

<--- Peace to Bayete Ross-Smith.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 11:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: the next level"
In response to Reply # 0

For me the next level is action: Teaching Egyptian or Black history to kids or even adults (curriculum development), developing programs to help people reach a level where they, too, feel empowered.

OR

Educating ourselves of existing resources out there for whatever work we are doing.

I've read, taken classes and/or discussed many of the texts referenced here (written prior to 1995). Personally, it's more helpful to read current texts and sometimes discussing the older ones is cool.

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own"
--Paulo Coelho, "The Alchemist"

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix" (and a Buddhist philosophy)

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 12:02 PM

5. "action"
In response to Reply # 3

i'm all for transitioning into action, but my experience with organizing local activists has been dismal, despite what i still see as a lotta potential, which is why i see the board as a good resouce for people who are active to share their experiences

*i mean, if we =could= i'd be very excited

solarus had a great deal abt integrating art into education. i'm still drooling over that one.

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:

- Amiri Baraka

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 02:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "RE: action"
In response to Reply # 5

I guess what I am talking about is sort of organic. It starts with a concept or idea, some posters vision and brainstorming and then each person can do what they will, whether sharing with people they work with, colleagues, etc.

Some of this happens already but a lot of times people ignore ideas and gravitate to the back and forth discussions (some negative) that do not go anywhere.

I have a vision but I want to hear other people's ideas, too.

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own"

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

utamaroho

Mon Oct-01-01 12:03 PM

6. "when i started learning hieroglyphs...."
In response to Reply # 3

the ideas that poured in didn't stop.

learnign hieroglyphs teaches attention to detail...allows one to read some seriously profound texts on the virtues of speech...martial arts...mathematics...medicine. the whole procedure is very intense and and logical too. the only thing is...it's overwhelming. i always think of directing a class of students that work together to "solve the puzzle" of hieroglyphs. like a year long quest to come to a solution while given seemingly unrelated data throughout the course. it fosters teamwork and dedication.

first i gotta master it myself, and need a group of people that dedicated to work with. i need to start recording these ideas and outline a lesson plan based on my journey to learning to read the script.

(((((PEACE)))))

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 12:05 PM

7. "i took a math class"
In response to Reply # 6

that was kinda like that, and it was onna the coolest learning experiences of my life

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:

- Amiri Baraka

utamaroho

Mon Oct-01-01 12:10 PM

8. "it starts tommorow..."
In response to Reply # 7

i'm gonna just ask anyone if they wanna join in the discussion...on some serious research tip...without any personal attacks and opinion based statements...

i need some general rules though on how to do collective research...

like:

1)always use primary sources.

2)try to pull in experts as much as possible. (there are too many professors out there not to have a group of 7 to 10 of us hitting up a different one and getting their opinions)

3)look at updates so as to avoid rehashing the same questions per thread.

4)list bibliography

any more?

(((((PEACE)))))

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 02:17 PM

18. "RE: it starts tommorow..."
In response to Reply # 8

>1)always use primary sources.

Specify what primary means such as not word of mouth (articles, other text, etc.) Some folks may think that cousin Raye's account of x,y,z, heard from someone else is a primary source.

>2)try to pull in experts as
>much as possible. (there are
>too many professors out there
>not to have a group
>of 7 to 10 of
>us hitting up a different
>one and getting their opinions)

For this one I would suggest finding experts and comparing and contrasting their findings, some of which can still be very subjective.

>3)look at updates so as to
>avoid rehashing the same questions
>per thread.
>
>4)list bibliography

I don't mind mixing a little fact with personal experience, only if people are willing to share honestly and discuss topics...not heated debates that are ineffective.

"Know thyself"

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 02:12 PM

16. "RE: when i started learning hieroglyphs...."
In response to Reply # 6

I taught people about understanding hieroglyphs when I was a musuem docent many years ago. I was really into it but it's been awhile. It would be interesting to get back into it.

"Know thyself"

AST
Charter member
597 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 12:16 PM

9. "RE: the next level"
In response to Reply # 0

more researchin sound good to me. Sorry so short leaving work ya know

HOTEP(PEACE)

to each their own...

♥ڿڰۣ♥ PEACE & LOVE ♥ڿڰۣ♥

https://twitter.com/JustmeTasha

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 12:28 PM

10. "Action"
In response to Reply # 0

HTP
i like we need to leverage our numbers as an online community. research aside, surely there are some issues that we agree on that we can effect change upon through writing email, letters, partaking in polls & petitions online to effect change. a lot of the times ppl don't hear our side, take for e.g. Barbara Lee, she's going to get a lot more heat, most of us i think agree with her decision, OKActivists could collectively _plan_ and carry out an online method of support for her, by writing letters of support to (or calling) her and major publications that would criticize her decision. we could have a template. that's just an e.g. tho' a lot of ppl say that we don't do much but they r talking about personally, not as an online community. i have done this as part of a mailing list b4, everyone decided that on a particular day or over an amount of time we would use our numbers online to effect some kind of change. there were rules of course: be respectful and sound intelligent, use primary sources and good arguments, sometimes there was a template. then someone would report the results. those r my thoughts.

Shemhotep
Our limitations are a temporary point
in our growth, as opposed to a finite
and essential quality of our spirit.
-Ra Un Nefer Amen (paraphrased)

Kemetian
--------------------------------------
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

"Pour libation for your father
and mother who rest in the
valley of the dead. God will
witness your action and
accept it. Do not forget to
do this

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 12:57 PM

11. "I totally agree"
In response to Reply # 10

this is the perfect type of environment to being doing different kinds of mass action. Now we should keep our eyes open and brainstorm on different things we can do. Barabara Lee is definitely a good starting point.

"Oh You who believe ! Stand out firmly for Justice, as witnesses to God, even against yourself, against your children and against your parents. Against people who are rich or poor. Because God is the best of all Protectors. Do not follow your inclinations or desires lest you should deviate from justice. Verily God is well acquainted with all that you do."

Holy Quran, Chapter 4: Verse 135

peace3
Charter member
31620 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 12:59 PM

12. "RE: the next level"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm feeling you on the Egyptian Research.

Inbox me Uta.

peaces
Hotep

"I'm bout to go to pieces screaming peace!"-2 Pac

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good & how he treats people who can't fight back"-Abigail Van Buren

I'm Certified

Federisco
Charter member
5002 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 01:40 PM

13. "OkayActivistProject"
In response to Reply # 0

wouldnt it be good for the board to have a project running, where anybody who wants to can participate? Perhaps a 'knowledge' site - where we team up to make a website..., a "knowledge portal", where okayplayers can publish their knowledge and what matters to them

M2 could have a section about financing.. or black enterprise.....
Utamaroho could lead the KMT-section
Nettrice could be one of the makers of a section about.. eh, what she does. "Empowering the community through technology and creativity" i think?

Just examples!

Instead of leaving all this inside the boards, publish it on a common webpage.... and perhaps also have it published on paper in the looong run!

......it would be important that it is activistic enough, thou. Or else it shouldnt be an OkayActivistProject. But, even knowledge can be activism, cant it?

*yaawn* i'm tired! and... ahh i can hear my bed singing my name.. ^zzz^

░▒▓█▌¹♥▐█▓▒░

proud okayphotographer: http://www.okayplayer.com/okayphotographers/

"Most of our assumptions have outlived their uselessness." — Marshall McLuhan

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 02:21 PM

19. "RE: OkayActivistProject"
In response to Reply # 13

I think it would be cool seeing the research and discussions culminate into various projects. This is happening already but sustainability is always an issue. Short-term projects would be better, unless people are willing to get together on a regular basis.

Actually, I can see a few books and articles coming out of these discussions. Published stuff is good, too.

"Know thyself"

Federisco
Charter member
5002 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 05:58 AM

25. "Books and publications"
In response to Reply # 19

That would be good to see.. i still dont know how much activism a book is? But a project makes sense to me, even a book project

A publication about vegetarism created by the vegetarians on this board (with tips, information and so on)
Even a booklet(sp) about fasting
A book as an introduction to KMT even, with tips to further research (utamaroho as editor)

Just examples ....... paper can be used for very much
text, art.. hieroglyphs

░▒▓█▌¹♥▐█▓▒░

Federisco
Charter member
5002 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 06:15 AM

26. "a bible"
In response to Reply # 25

There must be enough information on these boards (specially with the archives) to compile a book that is thicker than the bible!

That is what i told my dad when he wanted to know what okayplayer was about.. a book.. even a documentary.

But like ape said... it is clever to take it slowslyi, heheh

░▒▓█▌¹♥▐█▓▒░

cued
Charter member
1748 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 01:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "RE: the next level"
In response to Reply # 0

I would like to organize reading groups and stuff... or be involved in them. The idea of reading with this community makes me all warm and sunshiney inside. Besides, I like the thought of combining thought and feeling (as they should be connected, anyway) and I think that reading with other people and getting into a dialogue is one of the best ways of doing so. (DIALOGUE... not debate... and I think this whole community could refresh its dialogue skills...)

Otherwise, I am interested in starting a dialogue about heterosexism and homosexuality and feminism/womanism and how they relate to ourselves and communities...

I like conscious-raising because I think/feel that in order to do anything, one must first take a look at what they think/feel and challenge that.

I am tired of being attacked and even attacking, on occassion, but I want to be challenged and challenge...

Peace,

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"americans are gross!" -utamaroho

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali

"When the revolution comes, "faggots" won't be so funny." - The Last Poets

** Most people mis-read this line. I don't think he is being homophobic. I think he's making sure you folks know, within our communities, those of you who laugh at

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Wed Oct-03-01 10:38 AM

33. "heh..."
In response to Reply # 14

>I am tired of being attacked
>and even attacking, on occassion,

....hmmmmmmm. On occasion.

No, I agree with you completely.
I would love for this board to be like a good organizing relationship (to use CBO and union terms), wherein people are constantly challenging each other to re-articulate their passion and to cross the line between ideology and activism.

Alek

cued
Charter member
1748 posts
Sat Oct-06-01 06:28 AM

37. "RE: heh..."
In response to Reply # 33

*lick*

*giggles*

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"americans are gross!" -utamaroho

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali

"When the revolution comes, "faggots" won't be so funny." - The Last Poets

** Most people mis-read this line. I don't think he is being homophobic. I think he's making sure you folks know, within our communities, those of you who laugh at

pey
Charter member
1888 posts
Mon Oct-01-01 02:15 PM

17. "RE: the next level"
In response to Reply # 0

basically educating each other...
i know we're learning from one another now, but we have to go through alot of bullshit posts before finding anything worth remembering.
so organizing things better sounds like a good thing.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
ain't no blood in my body,:
it's liquid soul in my veins :

Soul1908
Member since Sep 19th 2002
236 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 03:54 AM

21. "I'd like to see"
In response to Reply # 0

OkayP's getting together. We are a community, we share ideals and experiences. We have many commonalities that could potentially lead to friendships and alliances. I'm not saying make it a club... but it could be more personal than an on-line community.
I'd like to meet some of you.

Soul

Learn to love the all in all and thus the all in yourself

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 05:02 AM

22. "Make this a resource."
In response to Reply # 0

collab w/ the tech board and create a virtual tutoring room.

imagine, using MS Net Meeting, you can hook up multiple computers in real time. what if we did something like that so that kids (primarily) who need help in basic reading and math could log in and ask questions? (i'm pitching a similar thing for my company, which also has an "e-mentoring" program). it wouldn't be a complete solution, i'm doing real tutoring now and realize that its very important to be able to hear the child, to get a clue on what they're missing. and decent typing may be a prereq. but that would be sooo tight if we could pull it off.

nettrice, from reading your posts, it seems like you'd have a lot of experience in this area.

anyone feel me?

peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Federisco
Charter member
5002 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 05:36 AM

23. "RE: Make this a resource."
In response to Reply # 22

>collab w/ the tech board and
>create a virtual tutoring room.

That is a good idea.. i always liked the idea of having the different boards work together on a project! Look at this post, from the Tech board..It will fall out of the board in a few days (it is on page 5 ), so i'll have it archived soon unless someone posts to it

http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/DCForumID19/147.html

I liked your idea very much, would love to see that happen. im sure Nettrice can help with much, this must be her "field of expertise"

░▒▓█▌¹♥▐█▓▒░

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 06:29 AM

27. "RE: Make this a resource."

Interesting idea and thanks for thinking of me. I just got back from a meeting and I have to get on the road again so I will come with more later.

"Know thyself"

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 09:32 AM

29. "Online Learning"

The Internet has a lot of potential to educate, rather than advertise and entertain. However, few people are educating others on a grassroots/community level. It would be interesting to link up with some colleges and universities (as hosts/sponsors) to design a program for folks all over the e-world.

To start there needs to be a team of okayactivists and other posters for:

1) Project management and team leadership
2) Software development, including access to software for constructing the learning environment
3) Instructional design/curriculum development (teachers and education specialists)
4) Technology integration (IT people)
5) Visual design
6) Multimedia development

I am willing to explore each level with folks if they want to do this. I can even take the idea to my colleagues at UMass Boston to see if they want to be a host/sponsor for the project.

Obviously, this is more than just tutoring or e-mentoring but I think it could start there and grow to include adults, i.e. youth workers and community leaders.

"Know thyself"

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 10:28 AM

31. "thass what i'm talkin bout"
In response to Reply # 29

picture "about.com", only much more interactive, and with an agenda.

>The Internet has a lot of
>potential to educate, rather than
>advertise and entertain. However,
>few people are educating others
>on a grassroots/community level.
>It would be interesting to
>link up with some colleges
>and universities (as hosts/sponsors) to
>design a program for folks
>all over the e-world.
>
>To start there needs to be
>a team of okayactivists and
>other posters for:
>
>1) Project management and team leadership
>
>2) Software development, including access to
>software for constructing the learning
>environment
>3) Instructional design/curriculum development (teachers and
>education specialists)
>4) Technology integration (IT people)
>5) Visual design
>6) Multimedia development

this is why i mentioned you. already a solid outline. i have skills that span almost all of those categories, but not the time (i'm stretched thin enough to see through now). but there seem to be a lot of heads that are down, and the task wouldn't be too big if we divided it up.

>I am willing to explore each
>level with folks if they
>want to do this.

>I can even take the
>idea to my colleagues at
>UMass Boston to see if
>they want to be a
>host/sponsor for the project.

that would be dope. i was just talking to a brother who'd invited me to speak at a school on a diversity panel next month. he mentioned that he's involved in distance learning at the state school for science and math, and that through audio/video they give advanced instruction to kids 100 miles away in poor schools.

i can certainly take a look at what they're doing as well.

>Obviously, this is more than just
>tutoring or e-mentoring but I
>think it could start there
>and grow to include adults,
>i.e. youth workers and community
>leaders.

no doubt. we establish a stable, basic framework, and then build from there.

peace & blessings,

x.

January is Kool Keith quote month, for lack of anything else:

"I never hearda you stupid, what's your name man??"

"Rappers don't know, I'm out the hospital/
cold buggin' and illin' like Dr. Doolittle"

"I'll chew your ass like monkeys on Wild Kingdom"

"you call yourself GOD, can you make it rain?/
can you tell me now what I'm thinkin' in my brain?"

"under your arms, you're kickin power and musty"

"word to mom, I'm in my own world.../
galaxy raaaaaays... powerful"

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 10:31 AM

32. "RE: thass what i'm talkin bout"
In response to Reply # 31

See new post, "New Cyberactivist Project".

Thanks!

"Know thyself"

Ape Redwood
Charter member
6088 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 05:44 AM

24. "start small"
In response to Reply # 0

Being that most attempts to organize action on this board have been failures, I think its best to start with small goals to guage peoples commitment. As the small projects are completed we can slowslyi move to larger projects involving action. I think the best first step would be a book club. We should figure out some topics we want to tackle and then make the appropriate cirriculums. Actually different book clubs would probly be needed to accomodate people's different areas of curiousity and expertise.

---------
PISS AND BLESSINGS
Alex
------

"I have never felt less American and more New Yorker...than these past days." Suheir Hammad

Galaxy raaaaaays...
POWERFUL!

---------------------
Thursday, June 17th
Dujeous @ Bowery Ballroom
6 Delancey Street (at Bowery)
w/Addison Groove Project &
Gutbucket
10PM~$13
DUJEOUS debut LP "CITY
LIMITS" INSTOSNOW.
Buy my shit.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 09:34 AM

30. "RE: start small"
In response to Reply # 24

An important task is finding hosts or sponsors for projects (see my online learning post), then creating small work groups to take on different aspects of the projects.

"Know thyself"

5thcolumn
Charter member
545 posts
Tue Oct-02-01 06:52 AM

28. "If not action..."
In response to Reply # 0

...then we should, more often TALK about action. This board serves the primary purpose of sharing knowledge and opinions (the former, we definitely need to do more of). The serious research thang sound awesome. I think we should make a point to outline some activist tactics(sic) as well. Most people here on the boards are just discovering their opinions and probably have never acted in protest or whatever, and I think that those who have more solid ideas should do a bit of guiding.
There are two posts up right now that I know of with suggestions on how to be active, even on a miniscule level, and they haven't gotten a single hit. There should be more "what to do" information, along with "why".
Y'all got some good ideas going on.
5th

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Wed Oct-03-01 10:41 AM

34. "we need regional groups..."
In response to Reply # 0

...that's what we need.

For events like S30, strikes, important speeches, etc.
I would love to be able to organize for and go to those things with Okayactivists in my area.

So we need that awareness of where we actually are.

Alek

guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Oct-03-01 11:38 AM

35. "where areya?"
In response to Reply # 34

depending, there may be a success or failure nearby

==**peace**==

"baby,
I'd draw yuh bath
like Picasso..

pick you,
like fruit
off yuh family tree. &
eatcha' honeydew ass,
wet"

-Giovanni

useful links:

- Amiri Baraka

alek
Charter member
3625 posts
Fri Oct-05-01 08:54 PM

36. "New Haven/Bay Area"
In response to Reply # 35

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Sat Oct-06-01 08:21 AM

38. "break down of KMT"
In response to Reply # 0

yo...it's like this.
I'm a sophomore in my "True Black Heritage Education"...
I enjoy a lot of the post that you and others bring to OKAYACTIVIST, especially those of the Egyptian persuasion.

I would ask that you continue this informative path with as many sources posted for those of us that want to continue researching.

Dig that

S.Blak
now back to you BOB

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

enjoy_summertime
Charter member
141 posts
Sun Oct-07-01 07:18 AM

39. "KNOWLEDGE REIGNS SUPREME...ONE"
In response to Reply # 38

Great idea Federisco!! Holla at yo gurl...

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #11491 Previous topic | Next topic