Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #10309

Subject: "AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"

let me know what you think. personally i partially agree and partially disagree with what is said. i will elaborate further once i receive some input.peace.

African vs. African-American
A shared complexion does not guarantee racila solidarity.
Author: TRACIE REDDICK.
Topics: blacks, culture, Africans, slavery, racism, U.S., & Africa.

TAMPA - When Anthony Eromosele Oigbokie came to America in 1960, he heard racial slurs - not from Klansmen in white sheets - but from dashiki-wearing blacks.

"Just because African-Americans wear kente cloth does not mean they embrace everything that is African," says Oigbokie, a Nigerian business owner in Tampa. "I caught a lot of hell from the frat boys" at Tuskegee University, a historically black college in Alabama.

"They were always trying to play with my intelligence. This was a time when folks were shouting, "Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.' Yet, when I called someone black, they would say, "Why are you so cruel? Why are you calling us black?' If they saw me with a girl, they would yell to her, "What are you doing with that African?' "

Three decades later, not much has changed. Africans and black Americans often fail to forge relationships in the classroom and the workplace. They blame nationality, ethnicity, culture, economics and education.

"A shared complexion does not equal a shared culture, nor does it automatically lead to friendships," says Kofi Glover, a native of Ghana and a political science professor at the University of South Florida. "Whether we like it or not, Africans and African-Americans have two different and very distinct cultures."

"That's a fallacy," retorts Omali Yeshitela, president of St. Petersburg's National People's Democratic Uhuru Movement, a black nationalist group whose name means "freedom" in Swahili. Yeshitela is from St. Petersburg and was formerly known as Joe Waller.

Whether blacks live on the Ivory Coast or the Atlantic Coast, Yeshitela contends, "we're all the same. There are no cultural differences between Africans and African-Americans."

Na'im Akbar, a psychology professor at Florida State University, sides with Glover. "The only way we'll ever begin to appreciate each other is to recognize and embrace our cultural differences," says Akbar, who was born in America.
Slavery is the tie that binds, but the legacy also keeps the two groups apart.
Some local blacks argue the closest they've ever come to Africa is Busch Gardens. The fact that African leaders profited from selling others is a betrayal many blacks refuse to forgive or forget.

"A lot of us do harbor a lot of hostility toward Africans," says Tampa poet James Tokley. "Many Africans have no idea what our ancestors endured during slavery."
Glover agrees that while some Africans suffered under colonial rule and apartheid, not all can relate to the degradation of slavery.

In Ghana, he says, "we did not experience white domination like the Africans in Kenya, Zimbabwe or South Africa. We do not understand the whole concept of slavery, or it's effect on the attitude of a lot of African-Americans, mainly because we were not exposed to it. To read about racism and discrimination is one thing, but to experience it is something else."

Much bad blood stems from interactions between Africans and whites, Oigbokie says. For example, he ate at some segregated restaurants in the 1960s.
"A lot of African-Americans were upset that white people would serve me but not them," he says. "They felt the system gave us better treatment than it gave them."
Many black Americans are ignorant about Africans, Oigbokie adds. They share comic Eddie Murphy's joke that Africans "ride around butt-naked on a zebra."
"They think we want to kill them so that we can eat them," Oigbokie says, laughing. "I remember a black person once asked me if I knew Tarzan. I told him, "Yes, he is my uncle."

Glover, who also teaches African studies at USF, says these perceptions are rooted in "all the negative things we've been taught about each other."
"A lot of African-Americans were taught that Africa was nothing more than just a primitive, backward jungle from whence they came," he says. Meanwhile, Africans have picked up whites' fear of blacks. "Our perception of African-Americans is that they are a race of people who carry guns and are very, very violent."
Africa's tribal wars oftentimes mirror black-on-black violence in America, and some ask how is it possible to form friendships with all this intra-racial friction.

"I have seen us come together in great magnificence," Yeshitela says, citing, as an example, Marcus Garvey, founder of a back-to-Africa movement in the 1920s. "He was very successful in bringing about the unity of African people."
Africans admire the American struggle for civil rights. Yet, when some come to America and discover black is not so beautiful, they insist on maintaining a separate identity.
"When indigenous African people come to the United States, they adopt an attitude of superiority ... about individuals who could very well be of their own blood," Tokley says.
Some African customs,such as female circumcision, shock Americans. Other traditions have been forgotten, or, in the case of Kwanzaa, invented in America.
Africans tend to have a strong patriarchal system, with differences in attitudes about family and work.
"The women's liberation movement has barely caught up to Africa," says Cheikh T. Sylla, a native of Senegal and the president of a Tampa architecture firm.
"That's why I think many unions between African men and African-American women don't tend to last. Most African-American women are like, "I'm not going to put up with the notion that you are the absolute head of the household,' " says Sylla, who does not mind his American wife's feisty ways.
Sylla says he's baffled by blacks' unwillingness to take advantage of America's many opportunities and their willingness to blame most problems on race.

"When most Africans come here, their first priority, by and large, is education," he says. "Right here you have a tool that allows you to open doors within American society.
"There was no king in my family or any other type of royalty in my lineage. I had to work to earn every single penny I own, and it was brutal. The African-American experience is so profound that at times I don't think I can appreciate it. I understand it must be recognized as a matter of history, but it cannot be held as a justification to one's inability to succeed."

In 1990, the median household income of an African immigrant was $30,907, according to the Center for Research on Immigration Policy in Washington, D.C. That compares with $19,533 for black Americans. Africans who immigrate to the United States come largely from the educated middle class of their countries. The research center reports 47 percent are college graduates and 22 percent have a professional specialty. Only 14 percent of black Americans graduate from college.
"Most of the friction between African people centers around the class issue," Yeshitela says. He says when blacks and Africans fight over jobs, they are buying into a conspiracy to keep them at odds. "I don't like the artificial separations that won't allow the two of us to get together. It is not in our best interest to always be at each other's throat." Especially since the two groups are in the same boat now, Akbar says.

"If you visit Nigeria or Ghana, the masses of the people are locked in the same circumstances as poor African-Americans," he says. "Both groups seem content to do nothing other than what they are currently doing.
"However, the denial among Africans comes from living in a place where all the bodies that surround them look the same as they do. That makes it easier for them to fail to see that the folks who are controlling the whole economy of Nigeria are the oil barons - and they don't look anything like (black) Africans."
Another point of contention, Akbar says, is that blacks appreciate their heritage more than Africans do. "We have to convince them to preserve the slave dungeons in Ghana or to continue the weaving of the kente cloth." Tours to Africa are booming. Feeling rejected at home, many middle-class blacks turn to Africa, Yeshitela says. "But in the final analysis, culture won't free you. Any ordinary African will tell you a dearth of culture is not the source of our affliction.

"We're faced with a situation where 3 to 10 percent of the total trade in Africa happens in Africa. The rest is exported from Africa. The future of all black-skinned people centers in Africa. That is our birthright and someone else has it. The struggle we have to make lies in reclaiming what is rightfully ours."

"The only thing we wanted for our country was the right to a decent existence, to dignity without hypocrisy , to independence without restrictions... The day will come when history will have its say."-Lumumba

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS
Nov 05th 2001
Nov 05th 2001
Nov 05th 2001
Nov 05th 2001
Nov 05th 2001
           Panamanians
Nov 05th 2001
Nov 06th 2001
Nov 06th 2001
Nov 06th 2001
Nov 10th 2001
           I thought "black" meant a person of dark skin..
Nov 09th 2001
                RE: I thought "black" meant a person of dark skin..
Nov 09th 2001
      According to US Census
Nov 05th 2001
           RE: According to US Census
Nov 05th 2001
           Question JNJ
Nov 05th 2001
           RE: Question JNJ
Nov 05th 2001
                RE: Question JNJ
Nov 05th 2001
                List
Nov 05th 2001
                RE: List
Nov 06th 2001
                     Batty
Dreadstar
Nov 06th 2001
                          I cannot believe u
Nov 06th 2001
                Sites
Nov 07th 2001
           Both
Nov 05th 2001
REACT
Nov 06th 2001
Nov 06th 2001
Personally
Nov 05th 2001
And Ewe man
Nov 05th 2001
      RE: And Ewe man
Nov 05th 2001
           Eyes opened.
Nov 06th 2001
                Maybe
Nov 06th 2001
                no!!!!
Nov 06th 2001
                RE: Eyes opened.
Nov 06th 2001
Dreadstar
Nov 05th 2001
about slavery...
Nov 06th 2001
RE: about slavery...
Nov 07th 2001
Dealt with this shit for four years now
Nov 08th 2001
lol@pet zebra
Nov 08th 2001
      yup, i'm here
Nov 09th 2001
           Vent
Nov 09th 2001
Nov 10th 2001
Nov 10th 2001
Nov 11th 2001
Nov 12th 2001
Nov 13th 2001

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 02:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 0

Yimhotep

a friend and i were just talking about this, but with African-Americans and West Indians. whatever it is it needs to stop, i'll come w/ a less simplistic reply a little later. but this is yet _another_ one of the things to be dealt w/.
one suggestion is that we should rid ourselves of all of the many labels and just stick to "African." that is not the complete solution but it is thought that this will help.

Shemhotep
"Be not arrogant because of your knowledge. Take counsel with the ignorant as well as with the wise. For the limits of knowledge in any field have never been set and no one has ever reached them. Wisdom is rarer than emeralds, and yet it is found among the women who gather at the grindstones."
-The Book of Ptahhotep(excerpt)

Kemetian
--------------------------------------
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

"Pour libation for your father
and mother who rest in the
valley of the dead. God will
witness your action and
accept it. Do not forget to
do this

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 02:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 1

i feel you on that. that "african" should be a universal term. but many may beg to differ.

just and aside:are hispanics black?

"The only thing we wanted for our country was the right to a decent existence, to dignity without hypocrisy , to independence without restrictions... The day will come when history will have its say."-Lumumba

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 2

Yimhotep

hispanics are african, native indian and spanish (from Spain) ppl (of varying combinations), who happen to speak spanish. they don't start getting classified (White - Hispanic/Black-Hispanic) until they get up here.

Shemhotep
"Be not arrogant because of your knowledge. Take counsel with the ignorant as well as with the wise. For the limits of knowledge in any field have never been set and no one has ever reached them. Wisdom is rarer than emeralds, and yet it is found among the women who gather at the grindstones."

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 04:02 PM

7. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 3

>hispanics are african, native indian and spanish (from Spain) ppl (of varying combinations), who happen to speak spanish.>

according to the above statement-excluding the first three words. hispanics are a people varying combinations:the word hispanic connotes a direct lineage to spain, not africa;hence they are called hispanics. so why should hispanics be considered african?( on a universal level-excluding all sub-levels of their race)

p.s:i agree with what you are saying-just need a little more elaboration on your part. i am warning you-i love to debat

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 04:52 PM

10. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 7

Yimhotep
i never said they should be "considered" African, i said they _are_ and spanish and native indian. some are just 2, some r all three, and so on. they r mixed ppl who speak spanish. altho i've heard of Filipinos considered Hispanic b/c they were colonised by Spain, so go figure.
Shemhotep

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 07:20 PM

14. "Panamanians"
In response to Reply # 10

Yimhotep

are a good example of how interesting all of terms are. Hispanic: very many Panamanians are in fact Jamaicans who went there to work on the Panama Canal and didn't return, same goes for several Costa Ricans.

West Indian: Haitians are not seen as West Indian by a lot of "West Indians", neither are Puerto Ricans, but we're all in the West Indies, but Guyanese ppl who are South American, are seen as "West Indian." language i guess is the deciding factor, it's really weird.

Shemhotep

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 09:21 AM

19. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 10

sorry about that-i was carrying that on from a previous conversation about hispanics-but what i meant to ask is do you consider hispanics black? and if so should they be considered african?

odu
Member since Jun 02nd 2002
33 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 09:42 AM

23. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 19

>sorry about that-i was carrying that
>on from a previous conversation
>about hispanics-but what i meant
>to ask is do you
>consider hispanics black?

There is no hard and fast rule to this. It's like asking if you consider Americans black, or Argentines white. Some certainly are, and some are not. The typical bi- or tri-racial Spanish-speaking person doesn't see themselves as Black, even though many of them will also their celebrate African ancestry. Sometimes tt's akin to African-Americans and their relationship to Native American ancestry. Some "Hispanics" (in quotes because I'm not sure they would use the term) believe themselves to be very African, and definitely identify as Black folks. As I mentioned in another post, I know many Puerto Ricans and Cubans who speak and sing in Yoruba, worship in the traditional Yoruba manner and eat African foods (although this goes for the Spanish-speaking Caribbean in general). "Hispanic" can be a deceptive category--it was invented fairly recently by the US Government (Nixon administration?), and although it's widely accepted, it's not always very clear.

---King Sunny Ade

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 01:17 PM

26. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 23

>I know many Puerto Ricans and Cubans who speak and sing in Yoruba, worship in the traditional Yoruba manner and eat African foods (although this goes for the Spanish-speaking Caribbean in general).>

i know many dominicans, puerto ricans-whose complextions are darker than mine and completely deny the possibilty of nubian blood flowing through thier veins.

>"Hispanic" can be a deceptive category-->
i completely agree with you.

the reason why i asked this question is that the level of personal identity is infinite-if there is always a subdivision amongst a specific race. i was trying to get to the point that the term "african" as a universal referral could not be correct-in essence if one takes it upon themselves to be "collectively" called such-they would be denying all the other races they are composed of.

p.s:like i told kemetian-i agree with her-just playing devils advocate for a second.

odu
33 posts
Sat Nov-10-01 08:45 AM

39. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 26

>i know many dominicans, puerto ricans-whose
>complextions are darker than mine
>and completely deny the possibilty
>of nubian blood flowing through
>thier veins.

I think they'd be right about that. It would be extremely unlikely to find a person of Nubian descent in the Caribbean.

>
>>"Hispanic" can be a deceptive category-->
>i completely agree with you.
>
>the reason why i asked this
>question is that the level
>of personal identity is infinite-if
>there is always a subdivision
>amongst a specific race. i
>was trying to get to
>the point that the term
>"african" as a universal referral
>could not be correct-in essence
>if one takes it upon
>themselves to be "collectively" called
>such-they would be denying all
>the other races they are
>composed of.

I understand. However, I see it as a deeply personal mix of both culture and complexion. Obviously, having some recent genetic connection to Africa will legitimize someone's claim to be "African", but more importantly, being a product of an African-derived culture is what makes the difference. The Caribbean islands have a folk culture that is largely derived from Africa.

---King Sunny Ade

Ximo
Charter member
351 posts
Fri Nov-09-01 06:19 AM

36. "I thought "black" meant a person of dark skin.."
In response to Reply # 7

If "hispanics" means people with south american ancestors, they usually shouldn't have dark skin (unless they're mixed)! What I mean is, all those words are so vague nobody should use them. Many use them to give themselves an identity ("I'm black" or "soy hispanic, ese") which is fine, but it really doesn't say what they are.. Words like "African", "South American" or even "spanish speaking" say so much more about you.

If "hispanics" are classified as "black", the saying "I'm black and I'm proud of it" really doesn't mean anything anymore.. Besides, the word "black" for people of African heritage(?) was a word that white Americans started to use with slavery isn't it?

Ximo.

I REMEMBER HIM! -BKyle
A nice OKP memory...

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Fri Nov-09-01 06:23 PM

37. "RE: I thought "black" meant a person of dark skin.."
In response to Reply # 36

>If "hispanics" means people with south american ancestors, they usually shouldn't have dark skin (unless they're mixed)!>

i said the word hispanic connotes a direct lineage to spain-
the language they use, their names, their genetic makeup, etc. i never said that they wouldn't have dark skin. in fact i said hispanics are a people of multiple races.

>What I mean is, all those words are so vague nobody should use them.>

so what words should we use?

>Besides, the word "black" for people of African heritage(?) was a word that white Americans started to use with slavery isn't it?>

it is the "english" word for people of dark complextion. if spanish speakers refer to a person of dark complextion as "morenito" it still applies the same meaning, just a different use of verbage.

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 03:44 PM

4. "According to US Census"
In response to Reply # 2

Akwaaba

I'm Hispanic. My parents are from Panama.

SE wo werE fi na wosankofa a yenkyi.

PEace
solarICE

Still representin' the RED, BLACK & GREEN since 1978!
EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

Ain't a damn thing changed...

*That includes the Panamanian "dummy government setup by you know who" flag.

***Something to think about***

"if the god of these religions (judaism/christianity/islam) is not above using terrorist tactics to make people believe in Him (and what's the big deal if people do Not believe in Him? God is a egomaniac) then why wouldnt the hardcore followers of these faiths have a tendency to terrorism as well?"- yuckwheat

And one more thing:
I AM NOT UTAMAROHO AND HIS VIEWS DON'T NECESSARILY REFLECT MINE!!!

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 03:54 PM

5. "RE: According to US Census"
In response to Reply # 4

>Akwaaba> so where did you learn twi
what do you consider yourself
hispanic or black?

i will get to the point after the question is answere

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 03:56 PM

6. "Question JNJ"
In response to Reply # 5

Yimhotep

does "batty" mean anything in Twi?

Shemhotep

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 04:05 PM

8. "RE: Question JNJ"
In response to Reply # 6

well i am kind of perplexd on its meaning in englis .please elaborate-and i'll see what i can come up wit

question:ru male or female? do you have any websites/books you can give me on kemet?im assuming hotep is a form of greeting-what does it actually mean? if you say greetings im a feel real dumb:im a lil lat

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 04:49 PM

9. "RE: Question JNJ"
In response to Reply # 8

Yimhotep
>well i am kind of perplexd
>on its meaning in englis .

so it _is_ a word in Twi? at least can u tell me if it refers to a body part?

please
>elaborate-and i'll see what i
>can come up wit
>
>question:ru male or female?

ask Cued.

>do you
>have any websites/books you can
>give me on kemet?

i ain't _givin_ u no books, my library is depleted as it is i will give u a list soon, i have to run to thesis class. but in my absence anyone else feel free to give suggestions.

>im assuming
>hotep is a form of
>greeting-what does it actually mean?
>if you say greetings im
>a feel real dumb:im a
>lil lat

hotep means "greetings."

j/k it means "Peace."

Shemhotep

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 07:27 PM

15. "List"
In response to Reply # 8

Yimhotep
books by the following authors (u'll be able to tell by the titles):

Dr. Jacob Carruthers
Dr. Charles Finch
Dr. Ivan Van Sertima
Sr. Rkhty Amen
Dr. Molefi Asante
Dr. Asa G. Hilliard, III
Dr. Yosef ben-Yochannen
Dr. Maulana Karenga

Ancestors
Dr. C.A. Diop
Dr. John Henrik Clarke

ASCAC (www.ascac.org) - The African World History Project: The Preliminary Challenge

Shemhotep

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 09:21 AM

20. "RE: List"
In response to Reply # 15

what does batty mean in english?

Dreadstar

Tue Nov-06-01 09:31 AM

21. "Batty"
In response to Reply # 20

>what does batty mean in english?
>
I am guessing you mean what does 'batty' mean in (Jamaican) Patois, in which case 'batty' means ass, as in "Kemetian has no batty" :-D

'Batty'in english is vernacular for crazy, as in "Expertise is batty"

Now to find out what batty means in Twi (if in fact it means anything).

Peace

---------------------------------------
I hate the smell of beadies
and you have a bunch of dinky friends, and a adolescent staff...
You are immature

Kool Keith "Backstage Passes"

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 09:46 AM

24. "I cannot believe u"
In response to Reply # 21

Yimhotep

>>what does batty mean in english?
>>
>I am guessing you mean what
>does 'batty' mean in (Jamaican)
>Patois, in which case 'batty'
>means ass, as in "Kemetian
>has no batty" :-D

just said that!!!!
cool, mi nah seh nutten, your day gwine come.

just 4 that, no Yim or Shemhotep 4 u

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Wed Nov-07-01 08:23 AM

31. "Sites"
In response to Reply # 8

Yimhotep

http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=4976&forum=DCForumID1&omm=58

Sopdet seems to have a whole host of them and online study groups too.
Shemhotep

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 06:19 PM

13. "Both"
In response to Reply # 5

Akwaaba

depending on the situation.

Usually I'll check both.

I don't speak Twi fluently. My friends who stayed in Ghana for a year (and speak fluent Twi) have been giving words here and there. I want to learn it but alas that will occur when I get there and stay for awhile.

PEace
solarICE

EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

"if the god of these religions (judaism/christianity/islam) is not above using terrorist tactics to make people believe in Him (and what's the big deal if people do Not believe in Him? God is a egomaniac) then why wouldnt the hardcore followers of these faiths have a tendency to terrorism as well?"- yuckwheat

And one more thing:

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

REACT

Tue Nov-06-01 09:40 AM

22. "RE: According to US Census"
In response to Reply # 4

Why was the word Latino invented (in your opinion)? I consider my self Dominican (Latino) because I was born in Las Americas and I do not have a direct lineage to Spain (or Europe, for that matter). I think that anyone born in Las Americas is soo mixed, we can't really know for sure what we are.If I did have a direct lineage to Spain but born in Las Americas then I'd consider myself Hispanic. Is this wrong?

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 11:57 AM

25. "RE: According to US Census"
In response to Reply # 22

i never said it was. you can consider yourself whatever you deem fit. i said the "word" hispanic connotes a direct lineage to spain. if you would have fully read my comment-i said hypothetically speaking-hispanics-on a universal level-disregarding all sub-divisions of their race, in reference to what i stated in the upper portion of that document.

DuoMaxwell
Charter member
1204 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 05:52 PM

11. "Personally"
In response to Reply # 0

As a black man who's born and raised in America, I would not call myself an African(I'm also hesitant to call myself an American). I know that in Harlem there is a section where it is all African. When I walk through there I find that I don't identify with them, dress like them, talk like them, so i don't consider myself "of" them.

The sky's blue 'cuz the sun hit the water like BING-Ghost

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 06:16 PM

12. "And Ewe man"
In response to Reply # 11

Akwaaba

would walk in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and not identify with Ethiopians, dress like them, or talk like them. But he and they would still be Afrikans.

PEace
solarICE

EFF RED, WHITE, & BLUE*!

And one more thing:

odu
33 posts
Mon Nov-05-01 07:35 PM

16. "RE: And Ewe man"
In response to Reply # 12

Excellent point. Some people seem to think that Africans from the continent are interchangable, speak the same language, follow the same religion, dress the same or even necessarily look the same. They do not. There is a variety to all African culture, and the culture developed by those Africans and their descendants in America falls under the wide umbrella. Step-dances, gumbo, fried chicken, family/friend nicknames, carnivals, braided hair, rythmn-centered music--these are the things that make Black folks born in this country African. That doesn't mean that they're the same as Ghanians or Congolese, but they spring from a common well.

A good book on this: "Kinship" by Philippe Wamba. I'm recommending this shit to all the Black folks I know.

---King Sunny Ade

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 01:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "Eyes opened."
In response to Reply # 16

Like...for the first time, I can conceive of my being African w/o having to change who I am.

Good point you 2.

HotThyng76 is gone.

fuck you.

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 01:25 PM

28. "Maybe"
In response to Reply # 27

Yimhotep

>Like...for the first time, I can
>conceive of my being African
>w/o having to change who
>I am.
>
>Good point you 2.
>___________
>
>HotThyng76 is gone.

that's because HotThyng76 is gone.
Shemhotep

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 01:30 PM

29. "no!!!!"

come on... you really can't be retiring HotThyng, can you, man?

1. Morcheeba - Back to mine
2. Various Artists - Red Star Sounds Vol. 1: Soul Searching
3. Mark Holder - (God Bless) Nigerian Woman
4. Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life
5. Chic - Les Plus Grandes Succes de Chic

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 01:31 PM

30. "RE: Eyes opened."

>Like...for the first time, I can
>conceive of my being African
>w/o having to change who
>I am.
>
>Good point you 2.

that WAS an excellent point, btw.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Dreadstar

Mon Nov-05-01 11:15 PM

17. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 0

If a Kenyan is African and an Ethiopian is African (and I am sure those 'countries' can be broken down even more into particular 'nations'), then I don't consider it much of an extension for an African-American to be an African also or a Jamaican or a Bajan, etc. I agree with the posts below that find it problematic that the implication is too often made that Africa is one big monoculture. If I (as a Jamaican) sit at a table of Trinidadians, there are many ways in which I do not fit in, including language, but we are still Caribbean people. I think you get my point now, its not the titles that matter but how we think about them. Peace

---------------------------------------
I hate the smell of beadies
and you have a bunch of dinky friends, and a adolescent staff...
You are immature

Kool Keith "Backstage Passes"

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-06-01 04:36 AM

18. "about slavery..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know… when American Negroes say things like "your people sold mine" I don't know if I can buy that. it's not like there was a mass conspiracy to sell these people… the people who were kidnapping people and selling them were, for the most part, criminals. (and in many, many cases, the people being sold were also criminals) that would be like me harboring grief against African-Americans because my place got broken into by a black guy during my first week in the States.

Cre8
Charter member
17379 posts
Wed Nov-07-01 10:14 AM

32. "RE: about slavery..."
In response to Reply # 18

Your right:)

Unfortunately there's not a day that goes by that one black(African) man doesn't hustle or steal from another black (African)man.

Since some ppl are still blinded by white lights on how Africans and African-Americans are so different, let me throw in some things that we share.

We have the highest numbers in AIDS and HIV cases.

We are both being taught "educated" by a system that has tried to devour us (through slavery,jimcrow, apartheid etc) and done so for the same reasons (namely color of skin).

We both have gang/tribal problems in which our own kill up each other, allowing a system to sit back as we do the work of devouring for them.

Neither of us, despite the numerous amounts of MJ'ers, big entertainers, and royal families along with heavy pocket politicians, have economic strong holds within national stocks. If we did we could probably regain Africa as the homeland of Africans (not Afrikkans) and produce more product be it in medicine, food, clothing or luxury items such as diamonds and gold, etc. This way we wouldn't have to worry about Africans in Africa, Haiti, and other prodomenately African lands having to plea bargin for ways of getting AIDS medicine. What makes it so damn sad is that whites go to Africa to get the needed resources to make the drug, but puts stimpulations on supplying the drug to the continents ppl(WTF!)

Both of us our currently being smashed in the face from non-African nations that our culture and people are worthless.

Food/Drink PlayersCookbook Info:
To help: L9 Health Clinic http://www.commongroundrelief.org/node/242
DEADLINE: November 22, 2006
Please submit your recipes to playerscookbook@yahoo.com or inbox and don't forget PHOTOS.

Olu
Charter member
17835 posts
Thu Nov-08-01 04:00 PM

33. "Dealt with this shit for four years now"
In response to Reply # 0

Black people need to realize that we are black people. Culturally and physically we all are descended from the same place and yet some of us are stupid enough to believe the bullshit that is said about us. Africans are too quick to believ that black americans are violent, lazy drug users and black americans are also too quick ti believe that we just walked out of a jungle, said goodbye to our pet zebra and got on the plane.
I have a cousin who refuses to talk to black american men cause they scare her. But she'll talk to white men. And her mother encourages her.
At the same time, I've been made fun of for my accent and heard 'jungle' jokes said by black americans who didn't realise I could hear them.
Personally, I try not to listen to my prejudices and just be cool with everyone. Still needs work

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death"
Joan D. Vinge, 'Psion'

http://www.last.fm/user/Olu/
http://ghanageek.wordpress.com/

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Thu Nov-08-01 07:54 PM

34. "lol@pet zebra"
In response to Reply # 33

I just got this image of a an African feeding his pet zebra a mango, tears welling up in his eyes...he can't bring himself to leave Stripey behind but he just knows he has to do it. The jungle is just not what it used to be...
somebody should really do a good satire based on these images and stereotypes(afkap are you reading?)

SIGNATURE STARTS YONDER
"I'm not looking...forward to seeing
him"- Snoop on Suge's release.
understatement of the year
NE LOVE/ LOVE
(THE C ICE IS URS)
The emoticon as 'O' symbol is a
registered trademark of dafriquan.
No biting without written permission.

RIP JDILLA
THE ILLEST THAT EVER DID IT

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Nov-09-01 05:08 AM

35. "yup, i'm here"
In response to Reply # 34

i try not to get too caught up when topics like this appear because it's something that hits me very personally, and once I get started with it, I can go on for days…

1. Nathaniel Merriwether Presents Lovage: Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By
2. Avalanches - Since I Left You
3. David Axelrod - David Axelrod

kemetian
Charter member
1336 posts
Fri Nov-09-01 07:20 PM

38. "Vent"
In response to Reply # 35

Yimhotep

...u r allowed.

>i try not to get too
>caught up when topics like
>this appear because it's something
>that hits me very personally,
>and once I get started
>with it, I can go

Shemhotep

Kemetian
check it out:
www.natureworksforyou.co
m

witness your action and
do this

TonyAnsah
Charter member
118 posts
Sat Nov-10-01 11:37 AM

40. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 0

Africans that live in the continent are culturally diverse. There are roughly 780 language spoken within the continent. Africans practice different diets n religions. Essentially, they are homogeneous or monolithic. Now, African-American on the other hand a distinct personality n culture depending on the type of environment they were raised in. African-American do have common understanding of how it is to be treated unfairly, unequally,and unjustly. Black-American are accustomed to mis-conceptions n stereotypes negatively impacting their everyday lives. However, indigenous Africans have not experienced that first hand, beside the South African aparthied. Basically, these two groups can only relate to a certain extent with each other. It's a very complex issue amoungst the two. As long as Africans n Black-Americans can embrace the similarities they share with solidarity, then a common ground n understanding can be reached.

TonyAnsah
Charter member
118 posts
Sat Nov-10-01 11:41 AM

41. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 40

I met to say that Africans are NOT homogeneous or monolithic.

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Sun Nov-11-01 08:15 PM

42. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 40

>Black-American are accustomed to mis-conceptions n stereotypes negatively impacting their everyday lives.>

excuse me, africans-are stereotyped everyday. just listen to jay-z's "girls, girls, girls"-bull shit ass song.

>However, indigenous Africans have not experienced that first hand, beside the South African aparthied.>

that is not true, amorites settled in many parts of africa-i guess the one's in south africa were the only bad ones right?

and not all black people in america have experienced racism first hand either.

>Basically, these two groups can only relate to a certain extent with each other.>

and im sure the police hesitated shooting amidu diallo 40 times because he was african.

TonyAnsah
Charter member
118 posts
Mon Nov-12-01 03:05 PM

43. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 42

You definitely made some interesting points. Thank you for helping realize the total picture. I improvised my comments n did not recognize till you critiqued them so precisely.

jenNjuice
Charter member
3527 posts
Tue Nov-13-01 08:50 AM

44. "RE: AFRICANS & AFRICAN AMERICANS"
In response to Reply # 43

is that a good or bad thing?

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #10309 Previous topic | Next topic