Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #19415

Subject: "XFL = Bullshit" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Afroteck
Charter member
4590 posts
Sat Feb-03-01 06:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"XFL = Bullshit"

All I can say is that this is bullshit. I've been watching for ten minutes, and already I can tell they have ruined football. They had the players taunt each other before the game, and had an instant replay of the "coin toss"!

What position does the Rock play?

________________________________________________________________________________
~My Mom's Jamaican, My Pop's American, I guess I'm Jamerican~

~Nappiness is Happiness~

"I'm a star, but I'd rather be a comet by far"
-Andre 3000

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the shit that i hate
Feb 03rd 2001
XFL
Feb 03rd 2001
give it a chance y'all
Feb 03rd 2001
RE: XFL = Bullshit
Feb 03rd 2001
my observation
Feb 03rd 2001
I actually liked it for the most part
Feb 04th 2001
ChicagoEnforcers.
Feb 04th 2001
jr and the king
Feb 04th 2001
the camera angles
Feb 04th 2001
RE: the camera angles
dOm_2oOo
Feb 04th 2001
I liked it,
Marinera
Feb 04th 2001
only thing i liked
Feb 05th 2001
will u be
Feb 05th 2001
talent = nfl europe +...
ive_been_framed
Feb 05th 2001
RE: XFL SUCKS
Feb 05th 2001
it's gonna last
Feb 05th 2001
IT'S UNPROFESSIONAL
CHAMP KING
Feb 05th 2001
RE: I was pissed!
Feb 05th 2001
NO TALENT! + T&A
Feb 05th 2001
Positives...
Feb 05th 2001
RE: Positives...
Feb 06th 2001
xfl...
Feb 06th 2001

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Sat Feb-03-01 07:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the shit that i hate"
In response to Reply # 0

are those cheerleaders.
GET OFF MY SCREEN!

Are you into philosophy? Email me books you thought helped you on your path: jose3030@hotmail.com or IM: jose3030

?uestlove on Power99 (1st show)
http://www.theamphibians.com/okayplayer.ram
?uestlove on Power99 (2nd show)
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mixcalledquest.ram

Afroteck
Charter member
4590 posts
Sat Feb-03-01 07:34 PM

2. "XFL"
In response to Reply # 1

They have ruined Football for everyone. Vince Lombardi's ghost is turning in his grave.

Did you know they had tryouts for the Cheerleaders before they had team tryouts?

________________________________________________________________________________
~My Mom's Jamaican, My Pop's American, I guess I'm Jamerican~

~Nappiness is Happiness~

"I'm a star, but I'd rather be a comet by far"
-Andre 3000

KayDee
Charter member
25731 posts
Sat Feb-03-01 07:41 PM

3. "give it a chance y'all"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean y'all knew the drilly goin in...this is Vince McMahon's shit right here....what did y'all expect?

I think it's a nice change of pace....will it replace the NFL?...hell naw....will it even last 5 yrs?....doubtful, but let's enjoy it for now and save the critisms til the end of this inaugural season.

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Sat Feb-03-01 08:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: XFL = Bullshit"
In response to Reply # 0

Well it did make me appreciate the NFL and the talent level. I don't even like college but I think i may be more receptive to it now.

sexymf
Charter member
17891 posts
Sat Feb-03-01 11:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "my observation"
In response to Reply # 0

The coaching on the NY/NJ team isn't too good. Whether there are cameras in the locker room or not, he should have cursed them out at halftime. And there are way too many interviews. Even the players don't know what to say half the time. I'll give this league another chance next week, but as of today I ain't impressed.

"If we don't meet no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, and don't be late..." Jimi Hendrix

Relentless realism regardless represents
South West goes out, possess the manifest that's heaven sent
What's said is meant to the fullest extent
No nonsense because my conscience wouldn't be content
But just a little wealth, a little fame
But your mind-frame will keep you living the same
And it's a shame that niggas would settle with the ghetto
Huh, hoes have some clothes that ain't makin what you suppose
Let your eyes close to what your contract shows
and fine print, they gotta get back every cent you spent
You content cuz, you do what everybody does
The industry that change you from the person you was
Knee-deep in the struggle
Two part-time jobs to juggle
Gotta lady and a c that you can't hardly feed
Any day your life could end so you depend
on the reciting and the writing when you got the spare time to spend
To keep you stable, hopin one day you'll be able
To be a commodity on somebody's record label
Got your chance, twenty thousand dollar advance
and a car and all of a sudden you a star at the bar
ballin, callin the waiter to bring one of they finest wines
Then you started snortin lines, your life defines
the misconception of stayin down
You can't be influenced by everybody you hang round
You shoulda been more appreciative
of the life that you were blessed to live
A hundred percent is what you got to give
Cos ain't no tellin, yo' bullshit start smellin
And you wonder why your record ain't sellin
no more, endin up with no dough
and no respect back in the projects
and building 23, right next door to me--Cee-Lo, Decisions, Decisions

LiquidDope
Charter member
25123 posts
Sun Feb-04-01 12:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I actually liked it for the most part"
In response to Reply # 0

But I'll even say there are a few things that have to go.

#1 - JR & Jerry Lawler can NOT announce any more games "in character." JR must go a minimum of 5 sentences between each individual usage of the word "slobberknocker." Lawler must go at least every other sentence w/o using the word "puppies." For that matter, Lawler needs to go, period. I'm not sure if he was watching the game or the Hawaian Tropic bikini contest.

#2 - Leave the nicknames off the jerseys. The mere existance of the phrase "he hate me" gives everybody who tuned into the game legal right to smack the dogpiss out of Las Vegas's starting halfback.

#3 - Too many damned interviews. The "all-access" thing is cool. But limit that to going into the locker rooms at half and listening into the coach/QB two way radio conversation. Stopping the game to interview the home team's starting lineup is completely unneccessary and not really entertaining at all (I really don't need to see players give shout outs at the start of a game). Having a cameraman on the field during play NEEDS to go. There's going to be interference somewhere along the line, I'm telling you now.

"And for that, you suck" (c) Les Grobstein

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sun Feb-04-01 06:40 AM

7. "ChicagoEnforcers."
In response to Reply # 6

I agree with Liquid Dope...TOO MANY INTERVIEWS! Cats would have just walked on the sidelines after running 30 yards, and the man was all up in his face before he could take a breath. What's he gonna say? And is he REALLY gonna say what he wants? I mean, his interview is BLASTED all over the stadium PA!! But I loved when the coaches snubbed the interviewers. That was actually kinda funny, but how could you blame them? So yes...the interviews have to go. That's just too much.

Along with...

/The locker room cut scenes with the players and the cheerleaders? That's on some WWF ish right there, and just got completely annoying.

/The running out for the coin toss thing is...well...I didn't care for it. But oh well...this is Xtreme football.

/I wish the TV presentation wasn't so WWF! I mean, if I overheard this on TV, I woulda swore it was some WWF In Your House. If they plan on grabbing some of the NFL fans, they're going to have to put some professionalsim to their presentation.

/And they need announcers that DON'T play characters! I'm not a Pat Summerall fan, but I was missing that old white man's dry boring voice last night. These guys on the XFL don't seem very knowledgable about the game.

/Hearing players yell the snap count? What the hell? And hearing the plays? How is "B-SNAP WIDE 660" important to the fan? We don't know what play that is.

What I enjoyed...

/The fast PLAY CLOCK! That sped the game up, and allowed for more possesions betweens squads. It was like a hurry up offense EVERY PLAY.

/I don't mind the knicknames on the jerseys. The Chicago jerseys are actually kinda tight (purple and black)

/Watching the Chicago Enforcers lose. The starting QB Tim Lester is from my home town, Wheaton, IL

*effstop presents "E|'Bee"...COMING SOON to THA-RENAISSANCE

https://digife.com

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Sun Feb-04-01 04:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "jr and the king"
In response to Reply # 6

I actually thought they were much much better than jesse ventura and his partner. What did Jesse bring to the table. Remember the opening when he was yelling his head off? Wtf?

I think what also hurt the XFL was the featured game had maybe the worse teams in the league. New York looked plain awful.

The second game did seem exciting. I stress seemed since we saw like the last 8 minutes or something.

The camera angle is not doing it for me. I can't believe a guy is on the field holding a camera 10 yards away from the action. The other angel made me feel like turning the game off and polaying John Madden Football. Great for a video game but quite annoying when watching a real game.

I was tired of seeing the crowd. I want to see the game why do I care what the fans are doing after every play/penalty.

The Cheerleaders ..well they did look good but strange how they want to stress competetion but keep showing these breast implant cheerleaders after every small break. I mean shaking ass isn't going to get this league over the top. Drill teams would be a litle better than cheerleaders but still it all comes down to what's on the field.

My Rant is over.

twistyroad
Charter member
9449 posts
Sun Feb-04-01 09:47 AM

8. "the camera angles"
In response to Reply # 0

the nicknames on the back of the jerseys

the interviews

the starting lineups

killed it...

dOm_2oOo

Sun Feb-04-01 11:14 AM

9. "RE: the camera angles"
In response to Reply # 8

so many bad things about it. the worst were def the camera angles, it was like playing madden and shit. gave me a headache. another bad thing was the interviews. the guy was on the phone with his coach and dudes in his face with a camera and mic. leave him alone dammit. and get real anouncers. if they fixed them i dont think it would be terible.

Marinera

Sun Feb-04-01 08:12 PM

11. "I liked it,"
In response to Reply # 0

But then again, I'm no football purist.

The main factor is the play clock. The games were almost exciting for a little bit. That's one of the reasons I can't stand watching the NFL. It takes an eternity between plays.

Just thought I'd throw that in there . . .

Giving you true calcio since 1986

Marinera . . . It's a damn tasty sauce y'all . . .

AIM: Marinera81
MAIL: jonah_b27@hotmail.com

Check out http://www.greatergood.com Help end world hunger, save the rainforest, help stop AIDS in Africa, help children survive in 3rd world countries, stop breast cancer, and give treatment to landmine victims in less than a minute a day! FOR FREE! NO FORMS TO FILL OUT AND NO STRINGS! REALLY!!!

keroline
Charter member
585 posts
Mon Feb-05-01 03:25 AM

12. "only thing i liked"
In response to Reply # 0

was the cheerleaders!!
SYKKKKKE

i only liked the "playstation camera angles"
and that there are some decent players.

those cheerleaders were freakin fans and encouraged to date players...talk about skanky.

-----------

Koreans in KOREA!!!!!

take a bath, wash ya self(sing that to mystical's beat)

"i'm....borderline chubby"-jahbryll

jose3030
Charter member
59165 posts
Mon Feb-05-01 04:30 AM

13. "will u be"
In response to Reply # 12

my valentine's?

Are you into philosophy? Email me books you thought helped you on your path: jose3030@hotmail.com or IM: jose3030

?uestlove on Power99 (1st show)
http://www.theamphibians.com/okayplayer.ram
?uestlove on Power99 (2nd show)
http://www.thejawn.com/realaudio/mixcalledquest.ram

BUY THE BOOK!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679783571/o/qid=981367695/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/103-0077179-2018231

ive_been_framed

Mon Feb-05-01 11:21 AM

14. "talent = nfl europe +..."
In response to Reply # 0

i'm sorry vince, but when you had stone cold on during the game rebuking the nfl commish's statement of the xfl being a non issue, that was bullshit. the xfl will never hurt the nfl in anything. also, where's the talent level? i feel as though sometimes i'm watching nfl europe or something worse. although the games were more exciting than the nfl pro bowl (too many rule additions), i wasn't feeling the xfl as much as the nfl. also, there needs to be more professionalism in the xfl too in terms of its presentation. that's it for my random criticisms about the xfl for now. peace

http://www.edeckdirect.com/~chuckm

"The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions:
1. When they're ready
2. When you're not " --One of Murphy's Laws of War
"The amount of love someone feels for you is inversely proportional to how much you love them. " --One of Murphy's Laws of Love
"All the good ones are taken. Corollary: If he/she isn't taken, there's a reason why" --Murphy's Laws of Love, #1

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Feb-05-01 11:42 AM

15. "RE: XFL SUCKS"
In response to Reply # 14

I'd be surprised if it even last 2 years. The players suck the interviews suck the announcers suck.

I kept flipping back and forth between this crap and a Sonics game and not once did I see any cheerleaders.

Back 2 the drawing board fellas. This shit sucks

Screw you guys...I'm goin home -Cartman

I got headz dividin faster than nerds at a calculus convention, see I school niggaz, then I after-school niggaz like detention. -Ras Kass

Cause your empire 2 fall like the season before winter, dont get beside ya self like cloned twins in a placenta. -Pharaohe Monch

18 willin rednecks, sendin me death threats, cuz their niece fantasize about wet sex, when I'm in her headsets. -Opio from Souls of Mischief

Your album is like a bad stock tip...I lose interest. -Punchline

Since most kids are spoiled these days we let em have it. -Rakka from Dialated Peoples.

I'm still official, (why) cuz I'm on a roll like toilet tissue -Ras Kass

fire
Charter member
111370 posts
Mon Feb-05-01 12:02 PM

16. "it's gonna last"
In response to Reply # 0

it's great entertainment, pure and simple. just looking at the audience of the sanfran/birmingham game was reminiscent of the roman coliseum.

am i making sense? probably not, just know that i'm a marketing genius.

the MINNIE ATLAS project - coming soon

the funk will not be televised
the funk will not be plagiarized
the funk will not be sampled
the weak will all be trampled
the funk will not be duplicated
the funk will not be conjugated
the funk will only be recorded
the weak will not be rewarded
the power of the funk compels u
stay tuned for the future of the funk………..

BLACK MUSIC 4EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont forget that you umust pit the young back male vs. the old black male. You must use the dark skin slaves vs the light skinned slaves and the light skin slaves vs. the dark skin slaves. You must use the female vs. the male, and the male vs. the female. You must have all your caucasian servants and overseers distrust all blacks, but it is necessary that your black slaves trust and depend on us. They must love, respect and trust only us. - Willie Lynch on How to control your slaves

The Negro revolution is controlled by foxy white liberals, by the Government itself. But the Black Revolution is controlled only by God. -Malcolm X/Speech, 1 Dec. 1963, New York City.

www.twitter.com/firefire100
http://instagram.com/firefire100
www.philadelphiaeagles.com

CHAMP KING

Mon Feb-05-01 06:14 PM

17. "IT'S UNPROFESSIONAL"
In response to Reply # 0

I love football, it's one of the four major reasons I live. So you can sit my ass down in front of pretty much any football game and I'll watch it, as long as it's a good game. I'm not taking away anything from the XFL game itself. The fair catch rule, laid back penalties, the salary, the reciever in motion, that's all good, it ain't changin' the game that much and it makes a less talented league like the XFL a little more fun to watch. (Though the opening scramble is bullshit). But this shit with havin wrestlers talk about the league is ridiculous. Stone Cold telling Paul Tagliabute that the XFL is gonna bite the NFL is the ass? Please. I understand Vince McMahon is trying to be shocking and innovative, but that's just unprofessional. The XFl couldn't hold a candle to the NFL.

Another thing is the announcers. The only one that seemed to have any sort of general knowlege of the sport was Matt Vasgersian, and they picked him up off those 989 commercials. Jerry The King was busy trying to score some ass. J.R. was completely annoying. Jesse Ventura, well I hope Minnesota watched the XFL, and Brian Bosworth sounds like he's announcing the game from an armchair in a trailor park.

I could go on, but I got shit to do. Bottom line is the XFL is trying to hard to appeal to it's wrestling fans. And bashing the NFL definately ain't gonna go over with the majority of football fans. I'm not even sayin I won't watch the XFL again, cuz I'm sure I'll come home blazed one Saturday Night and tune in.

"Any cat who wanna battle, they gamepan doomed for failure/ You lookin' at the man that went line for line with Lawrence Taylor."

Pedro Martinez is Jesus. Just thought I'd fill ya'll Yankee heads in. 2001 is the Red Sox year motherf*****.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Feb-05-01 06:57 PM

18. "RE: I was pissed!"
In response to Reply # 17

The major reason I tuned in was 4 the T-n-A, and I didnt see one damn cheerleader the whole frickin time. Yeah I was flipping back and forth cuz the shit was so boring but I mean come on! One of the selling points was that the cheerleaders were encouraged 2 give fans lap dances. They showed 1 hot chic (looked like Cindy Margolis) interviewing some moron in the stands and that was it.

The actual football was pitiful. It seems like some of the shit is staged as well.

BTW The Rock was a DL for the Miami Hurricanes

Screw you guys...I'm goin home -Cartman

I got headz dividin faster than nerds at a calculus convention, see I school niggaz, then I after-school niggaz like detention. -Ras Kass

Cause your empire 2 fall like the season before winter, dont get beside ya self like cloned twins in a placenta. -Pharaohe Monch

18 willin rednecks, sendin me death threats, cuz their niece fantasize about wet sex, when I'm in her headsets. -Opio from Souls of Mischief

Your album is like a bad stock tip...I lose interest. -Punchline

Since most kids are spoiled these days we let em have it. -Rakka from Dialated Peoples.

I'm still official, (why) cuz I'm on a roll like toilet tissue -Ras Kass

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Feb-05-01 09:36 PM

19. "NO TALENT! + T&A"
In response to Reply # 0

Just horrible. Horrible.
The one thing that kept me watching past one play was the wack camera angels, where do they get the idea that putting a camerea in a a huddel is ethical?

benine

"Famous quotations are for people who have nothing of their own to say, so be sure to use a lot of them. "-Lloyd Schumner Sr.

“There are two types of people in this world: the people who want to be pirates and the people who want to be ninjas. FUCK NINJAS! You want to know what happened to the ninjas? They were hoppin around like idiots one day and saw a pirate ship that had sailed into the Sea of Japan, and of course the pirates were doin they pirate thing. The ninjas looked at each other and said, ‘ fuck this stealth shit! Lets go find a boat’. And that, my young child, is the story of cool history: life before pirates is lame. Now, be a good boy and go scare me up a jigger of rum, ARRRRRR”-ME< MOFO!!!

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"-Better off Dead

*unedited,unre-read,unspell checked to keep uncensored.

*is there a okay-bad spellers union? have i paid my dues to get in?

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-05-01 10:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "Positives..."
In response to Reply # 0

While the XFL has a long way to go there was a few things I liked.

1)Playclock: On paper I thought no big deal, but that game save the extra bullshit most of yall mentioned already, moved alot faster then a normal monday night game.

2)Humble: hrm, how can I word this. Tickets arent that expensive, players seem to care for the game, fans seem into the game. They should keep it small and personable (although they need to quit advertising that they are), and try to regain the connection that alot of pro sports has lost with the fans.

Now what they need to do is this

QUIT TRYING HARD TO BE FUCKING DIFFERENT, to be more specific..

1)No in game player interviews

2)Less eavesdropping, i.e. on the sidelines during playcalling, or locker-room bullcrap

2)Cheerleaders. This aspect reminds me kind of the movie Baseketball and how they portrayed the cheerleaders, which i guess is the desired effect. If they feel that they are that big of a selling point, then they ought to be better looking and interesting. And most importantly choreographed.

3)Camera Angles, stay traditional, or at least flip in in cool ways like the matrix cam. I was feeling that playstation view for a hot second tho, felt like picking up the controller and playing a game

4)Player Quality: wow, i sure did see some sloppyness in a few games. Right now its around lesser tier college, hopefully they can beef it up, and hopefully keep a good spread of talent. Since its so small and controlled, im hoping for all the teams to be able to compete, instead of a small few like many professional leagues.

5)Commentary. SAD, very fucking sad. Ventura was horrible, those two guys from wrestling were ten times better(and they still sucked). Get some Espn guys for partime-work, finding decent commentators should be easy/

dsplace
Charter member
487 posts
Tue Feb-06-01 07:19 AM

21. "RE: Positives..."
In response to Reply # 20

I don't think the game was faster paced. I left the house to run some errands and was gone for about 90 minutes. I left about midway through the first period, and when I came back they were about seven minutes into the third quarter - about the same place an NFL game would have been.

Look, I'm a football fan, so I don't need all the crap that the XFL is doing. For that matter, I don't need a lot of the stuff that the NFL does. I watch for the game, and the game I saw on NBC Saturday was bad. Other games were better.

I'm not going to focus on the shortcomings because other people have dealt with those adequately. I'll say one thing for the XFL, and the same thing goes for all of those other football minor leagues. The level of play is far below that of a mediocre NFL game, but there is talent in the league. If there was no talent in the league, the NFL wouldn't have scouts there. This league will give players an opportunity to improve their game. They will get the reps that they would not get in the NFL. And with any sport, you only improve by playing. Most of the skilled players are guys who couldn't cut it in the NFL, but a lot of those linebackers and offensive and defensive linemen will get a shot and be solid contributors in the NFL. It always amazes me how many guys who play in these leagues wind up going to the show and contributing. Oronde Gadson played in the NFL Eroupe and the Areana League. Obviously Kurt Warner. Sometimes NFL scouts miss a guy. They took Terrell Davis in the 6th round. Johnny Unitas went in the 17th round and got cut by the Steelers. Len Dawson got cut by the Steelers too, so there is every reason to believe that there are guys in the XFL who can play at the next level.
So don't listen to McMahon or any of his wrestling people talking about how they're going to kick the NFL's butt. The players know the time. THey look at this as an audition. The NFL, as arrogant as it appears, will appropriate from the XFL the things that work. Tags is not a dummy. Don't be surprised to see some of those wild camera angles in the NFL next year. That's why the NFL, with all of its problems, is the best pro sports league.

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Tue Feb-06-01 07:50 AM

22. "xfl..."
In response to Reply # 0

there's nothing very extreme about the xfl except the extremely irritating interviews with breathless and cliche'-spouting athletes, but i guarantee john avery is in someone's nfl training camp next season.

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." -- g.w. bush

"the anarchist notebook" -- spring 2001

http://www.vigilism.com

Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #19415 Previous topic | Next topic