Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #19087

Subject: "This is an ATROCITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"This is an ATROCITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

These refs are pathetic. Im so sick of Duke. Loren Woods is getting killed down low and isnt getting any calls. I hate Duke.

peace.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What the fuck ever........
Apr 02nd 2001
ATROCITY - maybe
Apr 02nd 2001
maryland game all over...
Apr 02nd 2001
      RE: maryland game all over...
Apr 02nd 2001
           RE: maryland game all over...
EloquentWax
Apr 02nd 2001
           TFA (They Fell Apart) n/m
Apr 02nd 2001
           i'm just sayin...
Apr 02nd 2001
                RE: i'm just sayin...
Apr 02nd 2001
Apr 02nd 2001
Apr 02nd 2001
                still hate 'em
Apr 02nd 2001
AMEN
Apr 02nd 2001
Arizona shot 30 something percent.....
Apr 02nd 2001
As I told my man last night..........
Apr 03rd 2001
RE: As I told my man last night..........
Apr 03rd 2001

Eccentric
Charter member
3293 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 01:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "What the fuck ever........"
In response to Reply # 0

Half of you hating asses will swear the national title was given to them if they win.........last time I checked J Will had 2 fouls.

Stop hating and understand that shit goes both ways.

"You on my.......you plan ya.....it was wack!"
- Classic Slum Quotable

"I've been watching yo mama for a looooong time........and that bitch is fine!"
- Willie D "I Wanna #*$@ Yo Momma"

"She want me to cut ya'll grass.......but I'm thinking about cutting dat ass"
- Willie D "I Wanna (*#* Yo Momma"

ALBUMS YOU NEED TO OWN:
1.Yahzarah- "Hear Me"
Debut album from one of Erykah Badu's background singers(she's the chick wearing yellow in the "Bag Lady" video).
with beats by Eccentric and guest appearances by Taygravy.
TRUST ME Y'ALL THIS SHIT IS SICKENING!!!!!!
Coming March 2001 on KEO Music Recordings

2.Phonte-"Semi-Conscious"
Coming August 2001 on KEO Music Recordings....

3.U.S.-"The Story of U.S."
The critically acclaimed comedy CD
Rated @@@@1/2 by Vivrant
Available on Napster or for the low, low price of $10
Send mail order info to taygravy@hotmail.com

http://www.blickees.com
Sports | Entertainment | Gadgets | Video Games | Music

mycrafon
Charter member
216 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ATROCITY - maybe"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree that woods is getting beat up down low, and that the refs are missing some calls... but..... it seems like woods could have found a weight room in his 5 years since he started at wake. damn, somebody get that kid a grilled cheese sandwich or something. He took the ball to the rim weak and got it swatted. he was leaning more than the defender and went flying backwards... sandwiches.

also... wanna know why there's not as many missed calls on the duke end? the number of calls made/missed is directly related to the amount of calls available to be made. shooting 11 three's (and some very long 2's) in the first half means that the ball doesn't get pounded inside too often - result, no foul opportunities. When jwill drives he's looking for contact, and normally gets it. Same with dunleavy... and when battier gives a head fake and drives it's 5 on 4 and most of the time they don't have too much of a choice but to foul or give an easy bucket.

But... the ref's have missed a couple.. i agree.

- Mycrafon -

a FATE is a FEAT waiting to happen, but only if we change our ways of thinking

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 02:16 PM

3. "maryland game all over..."
In response to Reply # 2

>I agree that woods is getting
>beat up down low, and
>that the refs are missing
>some calls... but..... it seems
>like woods could have found
>a weight room in his
>5 years since he started
>at wake. damn, somebody
>get that kid a grilled
>cheese sandwich or something.

point taken on woods, but it it were only on the aggressiveness created fouls, when you're actively taking the ball to the hoop, it wouldn't be an issue. but damn near EVERY call goes to duke.

billy packer just completely played himself on nat'l tv calling that block of battier on (whoever) 'clean' -- dude got mad body and pushed the kid out of bounds on his ass. in the md game, they gave him a jump ball and subsequent possession arrow when he blocked lonny baxter's shot from behind on both sides-- damn near bear hugged him on the way down. NOBODY gets that type of call, no matter how 'brilliant' a defender.

duke is a great team. no question. they have crazy individual talent and are extremely well coached. but this shit is out of hand.

>He took the ball to
>the rim weak and got
>it swatted. he was
>leaning more than the defender
>and went flying backwards... sandwiches.
>
>
>also... wanna know why there's not
>as many missed calls on
>the duke end? the
>number of calls made/missed is
>directly related to the amount
>of calls available to be
>made. shooting 11 three's
>(and some very long 2's)
>in the first half means
>that the ball doesn't get
>pounded inside too often -
>result, no foul opportunities.

duke can go over the top on rebounds, reach in on the dribbler, and a bunch more stuff that are called against everyone else, regardless of who's being more aggressive and going to the hoop. there's more to it than that. and then the announcers chalk it up as good, 'clean' hustle, and extra effort.

anybody who's ever played against duke or scouted them should know thats part of the deal, and account for it accordingly, but still, it has to mess with the players heads, in spite of every effort to play it off.

plus, the ncaa is so untouchable. of all the yahoo recaps on the game against md, none of them so much as mentioned the role the refs played in the outcome. (remember baxter's 4th foul, before they'd lost the lead, on offense, on a routine post-up under the basket?). come on now.
peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

mycrafon
Charter member
216 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 02:28 PM

4. "RE: maryland game all over..."
In response to Reply # 3

I'll give you some of that. I said the same things about jordan for years now. He reached on defense, rebounded over the back, leaned in to fouls after pump fakes, never got travelling called, pushed off on offense, etc. But if you can take inventory of what you can get away with - why not do it? Jordan did it his whole career (as does every veteran in the nba) and extended what he could get away with every year (example.. vs. the Jazz when he pushed bryon russell off at the top of the key - and I hate the Jazz)

You have to change your game just for Duke just as you had to to beat jordan, or dean smith (four corners), Wilt Chamberlain (3 second rule), John Wooden (damn near every rule at the time that was instituted into college basketball was either at his request or at the request of his opponents).

people know it's coming, but sooner or later you have to stop it.

- Mycrafon -

EloquentWax

Mon Apr-02-01 02:32 PM

5. "RE: maryland game all over..."
In response to Reply # 4

doesn't help that az is missing free throws and shooting 2 for 15 from three as of now...

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:11 PM

7. "TFA (They Fell Apart) n/m"
In response to Reply # 5

peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:10 PM

6. "i'm just sayin..."
In response to Reply # 4

that's unfair, and tarnishes , in the eyes of a lot of fans, dukes accomplishments. with the celtics back in the day, with larry bird an them, it was the same thing. they had a bomb team, really, but when the refs were so lopsided you couldn't help but hate them for it.

>I'll give you some of that.
> I said the same
>things about jordan for years
>now. He reached on
>defense, rebounded over the back,
>leaned in to fouls after
>pump fakes, never got travelling
>called, pushed off on offense,
>etc.

i used to hate that too, because he was more than good enough to do it w/out help. in his earlier days, he didn't get those calls, but once he became the league, the refs had this unspoken thing.

But if you
>can take inventory of what
>you can get away with
>- why not do it?

of course you take advantage if you got it like that (not like you have a choice of giving the ball back).

> Jordan did it his
>whole career (as does every
>veteran in the nba)

-- uh-uh. journeyman cats who've paid dues for like 10 years get hoed on the regular by the young rookie-of-the-moment-jordan-heir. (that is, as long as they keep their image clean and are good pr for The League)

>You have to change your game
>just for Duke

-- true dat. in the maryland post, i said as much. gary williams has coached in the acc for 12 years now. he, and everybody else who follows college basketball should be used to it. lute olsen should hae schooled his kids on it by virtue of scouting tapes. STILL, it messes w/ the players heads, makes them self-conscious, tentative, and takes them out of their game.

i played football in md, but in h.s. i played bball too, in south jersey, and my school was the only predominantly black city/school in the league. bruh, we used to get cheated on in chess club and odyssey of the mind and shit. muhf*ckas like, we disqualifyin your robot. homecourt didn't matter for nothing. opposing teams would routinely shoot at least twice as many foul shots as us (and we were a squad that believed in taking it to the hole).

at least w/ duke, on nat'l tv, opponents get the courtesy of a "make-up" call every now and then, but we didn't even get that. and knowing that, and preparing for it, it still doesn't prepare you for the feeling of getting called for a foul when all you do is stand straight up and down, then you go down on the next possession and folks are just grabbing you w/ know whistle.

just as
>you had to to beat
>jordan, or dean smith (four
>corners), Wilt Chamberlain (3 second
>rule), John Wooden (damn near
>every rule at the time
>that was instituted into college
>basketball was either at his
>request or at the request
>of his opponents).
>

the interview w/ lute olsen is interesting. there's a taboo on mentioning that you got shafted by officiating. the interviewer then blatantly asked the question and he had no choice to admit that the officiating was less than stellar. of course, he was classy and tipped his hat to duke as deserving victors, but you could hear the break in his voice.

the last 5-7 minutes were relatively clean, but again, duke is a great team anyway. if you have an unseen opponent who can, at pivotal points in the game, destroy their momentum, especially in a game as streaky as basketball, you have a very, very, very good chance of winning.

back to your statement about taking advantage of the officials bias, but, as heads used to say back in the day when they were about to get jumped, i wish they'd "shoot somebody a fair one".

peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

mycrafon
Charter member
216 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:16 PM

8. "RE: i'm just sayin..."
In response to Reply # 6

I agree all the way through... good points.

(my veterans-in-the-NBA was talking about the all-star caliber veterans and people of that status - ex. Malone - my bad for not making that clear enough... and the new jacks are getting it because of a lack of dominant veterans in my opinion.. but that's just my opinion)

good points though

- Mycrafon -

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:24 PM

11. "RE: i'm just sayin..."
In response to Reply # 8

>(my veterans-in-the-NBA was talking about the
>all-star caliber veterans and people
>of that status - ex.
>Malone - my bad for
>not making that clear enough...

i knew that. i was just being an asshole. ain't nobody trying to tilt the scales in luc longley's favor.

by the way, did you see that weak-ass halftime special on seniors. they focused on the glorious battier, and then gave mad to two walk-on white dudes. you'd think a spot on seniors would have spent maybe a little time on say, Nate James? i feel for the other two dudes, and that's a story in itself, but in the context of what they were doing, it would have been equally poignant to talk about the players who start their careers as highly touted recruits and finished as role players.

peace & blessings,

x.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

mycrafon
Charter member
216 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:38 PM

12. "RE: i'm just sayin..."
In response to Reply # 11

I don't watch halftimes... but duke has a history of mis-handled players. Robert Brickey and Phil Henderson were decent enough ballers to play out of the shadow, but never did. Grant didn't get much pub until he got all-american status. Cherokee Parks made the league - need I say more? They do have publicity problems - that's not new though, that's a lingering situation.

- Mycrafon -

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:24 PM

10. "still hate 'em"
In response to Reply # 6

true, loren woods could use more than a few protein shakes, but that still doesnt justify how he was hammered in the paint tonight. To be honest with u, i think the most disturbing call was the "block of the year" by Battier on Gardner or Arensas, i forget who it was. It was such a blatant foul. I totally lost respect for Packer who was up duke's ass the whole freakin game. Not to mention the horrendous commentary on the Battier block. And it definitly is unfortunate that dukes accomplishments have to be tarnished by the poor officiating, because they really are a solid group of players. Solid sportsmanship is always displayed by them, and they are always good citizens off the court and in the classroom. Its really hard to root against them. Nevertheless, i still hate 'em.

peace.

d_dog
Charter member
248 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "AMEN"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you hear Packer's bullshit explanation of that battier play? "The force of the block knocked him down"

Fuck dook, not my champions

DMC

"I think LL Cool J and Canibus are both fantastic!" - MC Paul Barman

"They need to make it legal, before I start barking like a beagle" - Black Attack(For Trooper)

"The greatest feeling I ever had in my life--with my clothes on--was when I first heard Diz and Bird together in St. Louis." - Miles Davis

"Who Said I drink? I don't drink I guzzle" - Subroc

Eccentric
Charter member
3293 posts
Mon Apr-02-01 03:40 PM

13. "Arizona shot 30 something percent....."
In response to Reply # 0

Duke shot 47 percent. Yes there were some bad calls, but how the hell can a team lead the nation in margin of victory and win every tournament game by 10 points or more and be accused of having refs giving them the calls.

- Classic Slum Quotable

ALBUMS YOU NEED TO OWN:
1.Yahzarah- "Hear Me"
Debut album from one of Erykah Badu's background singers(she's the chick wearing yellow in the "Bag Lady" video).

Rated @@@@1/2 by Vivrant

d-nice78
Charter member
209 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 12:40 AM

14. "As I told my man last night.........."
In response to Reply # 0

If everything goes our way all the time........

shouldn't we be undefeated?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm

That Girl
d-nice78

Eccentric
Charter member
3293 posts
Tue Apr-03-01 03:30 AM

15. "RE: As I told my man last night.........."
In response to Reply # 14

>If everything goes our way all
>the time........
>
>shouldn't we be undefeated?

Yep you should be. But seeing as how Duke lost 4 games I guess that would mean that shit doesn't go there way all the time now doesn't it?

- Classic Slum Quotable

ALBUMS YOU NEED TO OWN:
1.Yahzarah- "Hear Me"

Rated @@@@1/2 by Vivrant

Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #19087 Previous topic | Next topic