Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports Okay Sports Archives topic #17228

Subject: "10 draft picks will be decent?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
hey

Wed May-09-01 06:24 AM

"10 draft picks will be decent?"

the NBA draft is horrible. Shane Battier, Charlie Bell, Jason Richardson and may be 5 others will be in the NBA in 5 years. The rest will fall off like "bad dope."

Say what you want, but these kids need to learn the game. Be honest with yourself,(if you love the game and are not a "casual fan")those who have great talent 'fall-off' or learn the game. What do I mean by learning the game? They work at the basics and become skilled at there position. The best example is Jordan. Jordan was a raw talent, but as he got older he got better at his position and developed a total game.

That little Thug in Philly is great, but he will hurt hisself if he does not develop a jumper and a PG state-of-mind. His years will be numbered, due to bad health(getting knocked on his ass).

The draft sucks because very few will make a team better or give a team that extra boost. Teams do not need a project.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: 10 draft picks will be decent?
May 10th 2001
your picks
hey
May 10th 2001
RE: 10 draft picks will be decent?
brwnsknldy
May 10th 2001
Sleeper of the draft
May 10th 2001
SLOW & UNDERSIZED and really is that good n/m
Isa_Sabur
May 14th 2001
SAM CLANCY
May 10th 2001
I do not ...
hey
May 10th 2001
i really don't think so......
May 10th 2001
Yao Ming NOT in draft
May 11th 2001
the bulls should pick.....
hey
May 14th 2001
4 of the top 15 are HS. N/M
Isa_Sabur
May 14th 2001

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Thu May-10-01 06:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: 10 draft picks will be decent?"
In response to Reply # 0

Here are a few I think will at least be in the league in 5 years. This does not include foreign players.

1. Terence Morris (he may be soft and disappear at times but he could be a solid 6th man.)
2. Troy Murphy (the new rules will help his game, very underrated)
3. Eddie Griffin (his attitude could hurt him but his talent will keep him around. See Rasheed Wallace)
4. Brian Scalabrine (he may look goofy but he can ball)
5. Sean Lampley (he could be the next Finley. He is just as athletic but needs to work on his jumper)
6. Richard Jefferson (he can score and play D. His athleticism doesn't hurt either.)
7. Rodney White (not sure how good he can be but I would compare him to Bonzie Wells)
8. Jamaal Tinsley (solid)
9. Tyson Chandler (he'll be the best highschooler to come out. He needs to add bulk thou. Watch out in 3-4 years)
10. Joe Forte (needs to mature a little but when he does watch out.)

Solid possiblities:

Keith Bogans, Tyshaun Prince, Michael Bradley, Jason Collins, Ken Johnson (if Funderberk is still in the league), Jason Richardson.

<<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>

White supremacy and racism were thrust upon us - we didn't invent them. We're just by-products of the worst aspects of them. Rebuilding the Black community will involve gaining control of our own education, economics, and law enforcement. -Chuck D "Rap, Race, and Reality"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey

Thu May-10-01 07:50 AM

3. "your picks"
In response to Reply # 1

those were nice, many of the guys you selected have raw, undeveloped talent. But will they improve the basics.

Yes, Kennedy sucks. But Q also went to a team where he was able to develop into a 2 guard. Everyone will not have that same opportunity.

Who can contribute to a team on day one?

brwnsknldy

Thu May-10-01 05:11 PM

7. "RE: 10 draft picks will be decent?"
In response to Reply # 1

say dat! Sean Lampley, for real! Actually, that's my brother! I'm so proud of him!
Jays

LiquidDope
Charter member
25123 posts
Thu May-10-01 07:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Sleeper of the draft"
In response to Reply # 0

Bobby Simmons - Yeah, I know he disappeared at DePaul. That said, he's got the necessary raw talent to cut it. He's 6'7", can knock down the outside shot, can handle the ball, can create his own shot. Actually, don't be surprised if he turns out just like Quentin Richardson. Blame Pat Kennedy for these two appearing as if they've underachieved in the collegiate game.

"My style is basically...fuck you" - Saafir

Isa_Sabur

Mon May-14-01 10:05 AM

11. "SLOW & UNDERSIZED and really is that good n/m"
In response to Reply # 2

"We gonna put camera's in the back, and take the rear-view out" - Fabulous

thisisme
Charter member
613 posts
Thu May-10-01 08:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "SAM CLANCY"
In response to Reply # 0

if he doesnt return to school will surprise the hell out of everyone. he'll get booed on draft day then quietly average 15 and 10 his rookie year. dude is legit. will be a better pro than SC teammate scalabrine.

thisisme

Why am I so fly?
I don't know but,
Why am I so high?
It's the indo
I don't fuck with the pocus
Everybody knows this
Fuckin with the Chronic
Cuz the Chronic gives me dopeness

Snoop Dizzle - G's Up Hoes Down

hey

Thu May-10-01 09:03 AM

5. "I do not ..."
In response to Reply # 4

...think some of the draft picks will make the team! 1st rounders.

Teams need immediate contribution.

kobe085
Charter member
2377 posts
Thu May-10-01 04:39 PM

6. "i really don't think so......"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't agree with most of you guys.
put in a decent situation (READ not portland or vancouver) most of these guys will be ok within five years, you have to give them extra time, becuase they're coming out younger. that's why kobe and garnett have just gotten started the last two, three, or four years.

my top ten (only top three in order):
1. yao ming
2. eddie griffin
3. kwame brown
sagana diop
joe forte
shane battier
brendan haywood
horrace jenkins
jamaal tinsley
jason richardson

I have a lot of moves on each block, and I know how to position and contort myself. Of course, because of my size and strength and this big ass that I possess, I know how to, you know, wiggle my way into certain positions."
-- Los Angeles Lakers C Shaquille O'Neal on his inside dominance

DonKnutts
Charter member
27064 posts
Fri May-11-01 08:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Yao Ming NOT in draft"
In response to Reply # 0

according to this report anyway... funny how Yao's GM does all the talking:

Chinese star won't join NBA draft
By MARTIN FACKLER
Associated Press Writer
May 11, 2001

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- Although he stands 7-foot-5, Yao Ming is not yet ready for the NBA.

That's the assessment of Bai Li, general manager of the Shanghai Sharks, the center's current team.

``Before joining the NBA draft, he must prepare adequately -- both physically and mentally,'' Bai said. ``The club feels that, at this time, Yao Ming is not there yet,''

Yao was considered a possible first-round pick in the NBA draft on June 17, but Bai said the 21-year-old player will instead focus on playing for the Chinese national team before next year's Asian Games in Pusan, South Korea.

Sports officials feared the loss of China's most valuable player could damage its fledgling professional league, Bai said. He held out the possibility that Yao might participate in the 2002 draft.

``The NBA said he's welcome next year,'' Bai said.

Yao and a handful of other promising Chinese players have made their country the newest territory tapped by NBA talent scouts.

Wang Zhizhi, a 23-year-old former star with the military-owned Bayi Rockets, became the first Chinese-born NBA player when he joined the Dallas Mavericks in April.

Both Yao and Wang were members of China's Olympic squad, which
finished a disappointing 10th in Sydney last year.

Bai said interest in Yao has been intense, with 14 NBA clubs having contacted him about playing.

While Yao didn't appear at Friday's press conference, his mother, Fang Fengdi, said he still hopes one day to play in the world's premier basketball league.

``I think that going to the NBA is every athlete's dream,'' she said.

hey

Mon May-14-01 07:50 AM

9. "the bulls should pick....."
In response to Reply # 8

.............Battier.

Isa_Sabur

Mon May-14-01 10:04 AM

10. "4 of the top 15 are HS. N/M"
In response to Reply # 0

"We gonna put camera's in the back, and take the rear-view out" - Fabulous