Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #2655

Subject: "Too Positive?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 10:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Too Positive?"
Sun Nov-09-03 10:52 AM

Okay -- This post has to do with the "Percieved Condition" of the OKP Freestyle Board -- ~Currently~ -- By some veteran heads who were used to more critical responses in the commenting (or critiquing) of flows displayed on this board.

Based on INBOX'D messages that I've received -- As well as threads I've read over a period of time --It seems that some folks feel this board is WAAAYYYYYY too Positive! (Which is supposedly one of the reasons why old heads no longer frequent this site -- Or else they lurk but don't bother to respond to anyone)

I'm speaking for MYSELF -- Personally -- Because I've been accused of being *Too Positive* on many occasions -- So I'd like to comment on my justification for my positivity -- As well as see how others feel about POSITIVITY on the OKP Freestyle Board -- Going 4~Ward.

First of all -- There's enough "Negativity" -- (((OUTSIDE))) the intenet lately -- With Wars and rumours of wars, Abuse of every kind -- (mental, physical, emotional, child abuse, drug abuse, self inflicted abuse, suicide, etc.) -- prejudice, unemployment (job lay~offs) -- etc., etc. -- You name it! -- If you can't see a silver lining, or see the glass half full instead of half empty in this world, then you might as well take ya PROZAC -- (Or drug of choice) -- And chill out under a rock somewhere!

The opposite of Positive IS Negative -- right? -- So if there's too much positivity on this board, then I guess there needs to be more NEGATIVITY, huh? -- *Hmmmm* -- Well, I've been in the mixxx with Negativity on this board before, and I'm not proud of it either -- (Wrestling back & forth over ignorance and shit that really don't matter in the grand scheme of life) -- And if at all possible, I don't EVER intend to go back there again! But the fact is, as far as poetry is concerned -- I'M NOT AN EXPERT -- (And I don't claim to be) -- I have no Degrees in Literature or certified certificates of prolific poetic expertise. If "YOU" do; however, -- Then I suggest that "YOU" use "YOUR" astute & prolific expertise to elevate this board instead of criticizing it, nahmean? -- Or don't "YOU" have the time? -- "YOU" have time to criticize don'tcha? -- *HuH?*

It's true, some folks don't *know* how to receive constructive critiquing -- So out of ignorance, they may take a response personally and lash out, or try to justify "why" they wrote the way the did, in their own defense -- But I feel if you're critiquing OUT OF LOVE and "WITH" LOVE -- And you explain your purpose -- Heads on this board would "receive" that LOVE with appreciation & gratitude.

Bear in mind, you just don't come at ppl sounding like you're ATTACKING their work -- (Or attacking THEM) -- You come at them like a gentle storm -- Blowing away unnecessary debris & ultimately cleaning out closets of clutter.

The most critiquing I've done is basically suggesting a dictionary or thesaurus to help with the polished skillfulness of a flow -- But if I felt like the flow was just rambling or not saying anything, I might ask: "What are you tryna say here dude? -- (Or Ms. Lady)" -- Could you break it down for me? -- Cuz I don't get it! But I don't get into ripping apart and dissecting flows cuz THAT just ain't my thang. I'm more prone to tell you how I felt AFTER reading your ish -- If I felt it was fluid or sincere, yadda yadda yadda.

I also don't get into forms & formats -- Cuz there are too many hybrids "Out There" -- And folks can do just about anything they want to with Poetry now~a~days to create a new and beautiful thing -- So I'm not stringent enough to DEMAND that certain formats be followed to the "T" -- (Or else you ain't doing it right) -- Cuz if you're at least TRYING -- Then that's good enough for me! -- ;^)

Of the people on this board -- (Unless they share with you regularly): You don't *know* -- Whoze had a bad day @ work -- Who just got fired from their job -- Who has to file for bankruptcy -- Who's homeless & out on the street with little or no support from family or friends -- (sittin' in the library on the computer) -- Who's in the process of a divorce -- Who just got date raped! -- Who lost a child thru miscarriage or abortion -- Who's considering suicide or killing someone else -- Who's having problems @ home (Of ANY kind) -- YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!!

So why should this board be a place of NEGATIVITY -- (The Opposite of POSITIVITY)

Folks SHOULD be able to come here and vent -- create -- practice -- shine -- share -- love -- care -- ~AND~ -- If they ASK for it -- Receive the critiquing that some of YOU feel so empowered to give!

Like I've said before -- Everybody on this board ain't here tryna win the Pulitzer Prize -- Ain't tryna publish a book -- & ain't tryna win a Poetry Contest or Slam -- So the expectations of everybody shouldn't be the same -- And for those who're not doing these things -- They shouldn't be looked DOWN upon because they come here to play and relax!

If "YOU" have the certified skills & expertise to CRITIQUE poets on this board -- THEN DO SO! -- But do so with LOVE so that heads can improve & grow-- DO SO because "YOU" *know* what you're talking about -- But without a doubt -- DO SO because you have a gift for doing so! -- Don't just do it to "play" THE DEVILS ADVOCATE!

I'm sick & tired of certain folks on the board acting like this "NEW BREED" /"New Jack" of writers are so inferior and out of touch with so~called "REAL" Poetry -- Compared to the OKP heads of back in the day (from 99' -- 2000 -- 2001 -- 2002) -- So "YOU" sit back, snort, laugh & criticize the newer heads.

If you've got a contribution to give to this board -- In the way of critiquing -- In the way of writing poetry -- IN ANY DAMN WAY -- Then please be a part of the solution AND NOT A PART OF THE PROBLEM!

It shouldn't be -- THE OLD HEADS "AGAINST" THE NEW HEADS -- With those in the middle not knowing where the hell to go?!?!? -- *chuckles*

Quit lurking & smirking -- Lend a hand -- Lend a heart -- Lend a thought -- An get this board working -- in the direction of U~N~I~T~Y!

(((Come Together))) -- (((Work Together)))

Opinions? -- Comments? -- Retorts?

A guitar string vibrating, a measure of my soul, a breech in the silence --
I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/photosynthesis_music.htm

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
COSIGN
Nov 09th 2003
Thanks Sweetie --
Nov 09th 2003
      RE: Thanks Sweetie --
Nov 09th 2003
RE: Too Positive?
Nov 09th 2003
Nov 09th 2003
Nov 09th 2003
Nov 09th 2003
nawwww never too positive
Nov 09th 2003
Nov 09th 2003
I came to this board with no real expectations...
Nov 09th 2003
*LoL* @ Nowachaoticthing --
Nov 09th 2003
RE: I came to this board with no real expectations...
Nov 09th 2003
OKLets KeeP it Real: Positive Love
Nov 09th 2003
I Couldn't Agree With U More --
Nov 09th 2003
CoSign
Nov 10th 2003
y'know...
Nov 10th 2003
RE: y'know...
Nov 26th 2003
Nov 10th 2003
Nov 10th 2003
Name names....
Nov 10th 2003
Glad this post is here
Nov 10th 2003
dang dood how long you been here?
Nov 12th 2003
Nov 10th 2003
..it's true...
Nov 10th 2003
Uhhhhmmmm..... well yeah
Nov 10th 2003
Okie Dokie --
Nov 10th 2003
lol what happened?
Nov 12th 2003
Nov 10th 2003
You're Doing Great Insightful --
Nov 10th 2003
U Strait
Nov 10th 2003
Folks SHOULD be able to come here and vent -- create --
Nov 10th 2003
Nov 11th 2003
Smothered In Positivity -- *chuckles*
Nov 11th 2003
      RE: Smothered In Positivity -- *chuckles*
Nov 13th 2003
           My Apologies "Your Lightness" --
Nov 13th 2003
                RE: My Apologies
Nov 15th 2003
well said..u know what I if I dont understand what Im
Nov 11th 2003
Nov 11th 2003
positive is a forked tongue creature
Nov 11th 2003
The Question Is --
Nov 11th 2003
RE: The Question Is --
Nov 11th 2003
      Indeed --
Nov 11th 2003
           RE: Indeed --
Nov 11th 2003
Hey!
Nov 11th 2003
RE: Hey!
Nov 11th 2003
RE: Hey!
Nov 11th 2003
      seen better days but....
Nov 12th 2003
exactly nm
Nov 15th 2003
Nov 11th 2003
put it like this photizzle..
Nov 12th 2003
Where?
Nov 12th 2003
* *) S* * What You Started Photo ^Ups^
Nov 12th 2003
Here!
Nov 13th 2003
      (((OUTSIDE))) the intenet lately --
Nov 13th 2003
CoSizzle....
Nov 13th 2003
DROPPED DIME
Nov 20th 2003
positive, negative...
Nov 24th 2003
RE: positive, negative...
Nov 25th 2003
      ADDENDUM --
Nov 25th 2003
      like biggie said...
Nov 25th 2003
           I Got A Story 2 Tell Too --
Nov 26th 2003
                RE: I Got A Story 2 Tell Too --
Nov 26th 2003
archive.
Nov 27th 2003
Ms. Del -- Or Mr. *Know*
Dec 01st 2003

Ritz
Member since Mar 09th 2003
185 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "COSIGN"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with you Photo and everything you jus said. I believe what your sayin is truly the right thing. I understand about all the positivty..but if there was no negativity then we'd surely get no where. I mean it works both ways..I need equal of both, but I still agree with what you said.

"Dont ever question who I am, God knows"-Ritz

"Life is 10 percent condition and 90 percent response -- that's something my father used to say -- it's not the situation, it's how you respond to it." -Mos Def

Come correct or dont come at all.
You are now rockin' with the best.
Ritz-479

"TOP BILLIN" -Vast Aire

"i'm as far away as you can get before you start coming back." -inVerse

"Life is 10 percent condition and 90 percent response --

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 11:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Thanks Sweetie --"
In response to Reply # 1

I appreciate that! -- *smiles*

But you don't need NEGATIVITY to become a better poet -- You may need constructive criticism, direction, instruction or advice -- BUT NOT IN A NEGATIVE WAY, nahmean?

And while I'm providing positive encouragement & support -- (Which is what I do) -- There SHOULD be others on this board with the ability and *Know~How* to provide the critiquing & advice to help those who want & ASK for it!

In other words -- EVERYONE HAS A GIFT -- They just need to use it correctly -- (for the right reasons)! -- ;^)

I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

Ritz
185 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 01:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: Thanks Sweetie --"
In response to Reply # 2

Haha of course. Yea yea yea, I know what ya mean. Thats what I was gettin at. I didnt mean negativity, I meant constructive critisim (what you said basiclly). Its all good, cuz I feel what your sayin and I still agree with it.

Your so smart Photo-----:-D

"Life is 10 percent condition and 90 percent response -- that's something my father used to say -- it's not the situation, it's how you respond to it." -Mos Def

Ritz-479

"TOP BILLIN" -Vast Aire

psalms91
Member since Oct 10th 2003
251 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 12:32 PM

3. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

word . . I have no certificate in poetry either, so I relate
to what you're saying, . .
I haven't been postin' drops on this board for a long time
but i've been writing for a real long time.
Negativity, is something that is part of life so it really
doesn't bother me, but you can best believe this, if I see
any posts on this site and if I feel the material should
receive some negativity, then i'll act accordingly . .
-peace

They Honor Under God = THUG

10 HipHop Commandments

Desmon
Member since May 02nd 2003
126 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 01:23 PM

4. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

i agree with you totally, there is no need for negativity just some constructive criticism where needed... ive seen things get out of control at other boards because one dude came at someone elses piece with insults, jeers and insincerity. i love coming to this board and seeing the positivity being displayed cuz in my life i really don't see or feel that much love anywhere else.
Oh yeah, well put Photo.
respect.

Blah..

Instant Axis
Member since Nov 15th 2002
1953 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 02:24 PM

6. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Nov-09-03 02:25 PM

well, i guess yo but ima stand concrete, if i aint feelin ya shit im not gonna sugercoat and a smile for ya either, no, that wasnt directed to Photo but i dame sure aint gonna play the role, position, etc etc.... which is why if i dont like it i usually dont respond cause people honestly cant take the criticism they should be getting, but hey, photo is right tho, we dont need the negativity, peace to all and get me a dictionary Photo!!!!

fuck a sig!!!

why MiracleRic thinks me and him clic aight, here's the reason, u real with yours, i am once i bring my guard down, we both stupid as hell, we both got our talents, want a lot of the same things, like a lot of the same things, we both

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 04:30 PM

9. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 6

Understood Axe -- *No Doubt* -- But the real issue is folks -- Who don't like the aura or condition of the board now -- (As if it was soooooo damn heavenly back in da day when certain ppl were around & active -- But their consensus is that it sucks like shit NOW because they're not around -- And the folks who "ARE" here & active ain't worth spit in their eyes -- *Ain't worth the time of day*)

The issue is folks -- (So~Called Pioneers Of This Forum) -- Who stand back, lurking and watching with condemnation -- Acting like they were born with POETIC (OR FREESTYLE) SKILLS -- And they refuse to share this board with the newer, less skilled heads -- So they use that as an excuse not to post here anymore -- CUZ THE BOARD HAS GONE TO HELL INNA HANDBASKET & IT AIN'T LIKE IT USED TO BE -- It's tooooooo positive now! -- *hmmmph*

But it's understood that you shouldn't sugarcoat shyt if you ain't feeling it tho, nahmean?

My only question is: How do you know that people honestly can't take the criticism they should be gettin'? Do you mean current people on the board now -- or previous ones?

And exactly how would you STEP to a person who you felt needed criticism -- (((Positive Criticism Of Course, right?)))

I have a feeling that those folks who couldn't accept the criticism given were not approached properly in the first place, na'amsayin?

But then, folks don't wanna take the time to do anything properly anymore -- So it's a mute point I guess -- *shruggs*

Thanks 4 your understanding anyways Axe! -- *smiles*

(((Much Love & Respect 2 U)))

robynwildchild
Member since May 06th 2003
4550 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 04:07 PM

7. "nawwww never too positive"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm a fan of positivity.. and there is enough negative shit in the world today.. if negativity need be included in the emotions that someone feels they need to release then may it constructive with suggestions on how to improve... i've seen some peeps leave because of negative feedback... opinions, etc....

~~~~~~~~ luv R.
https://www.facebook.com/robyn.wildchild12
psycho.
"Institutions encourage us to consider the opinions they sell as "facts" and that we "believe" rather than question the morality they pitch."
cities need fewer shopping malls and more skat

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 04:24 PM

8. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

i understand and feel ya photo:

the elitism of this board is a lil evident at times

me personally, if my piece inspires a negative reaction, id rather know it then not know it, part of the reason i write is to see how people respond, there have been pieces i havent felt and rather then just not sayin anything, i have offered criticism, and theres no reason for negativity but if thats what the piece does, by all means let me know, i'd rather a negative response then none, but thats just me, i dont sugar-coat my criticism, but i dont flood it with negativity either, if my goal was to stir up a negative thought...

i definitely agree tho photo, the elitism is somewhat annoying, and it shows up every once in a while, in small but noticable ways...this is expression, it takes practice, none of us just started writing, and were realized as the reincarnated Shakespeare, i feel like some are being babies about it, no names tho CIAO

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Nowachaoticthing
Member since Dec 24th 2002
2178 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 05:45 PM

10. "I came to this board with no real expectations..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and I like to keep it that way.

I cannot control how others (new, old, or inbetweeners) interact with this board. I can only control my responses.

There is a part of me that welcomes criticism from true poets who study the craft and know what the hell they are talking about. There is a part of me who welcomes criticism from folks who hate to read or even think, but know, in their hearts, that my shit is whack. There is also a part of me that welcomes praise from the same two cats i just described, as well as others inbetween.

Basicly, when it comes to my work... i welcome all responses, and I will never react negatively to someone who simply isnt feeling what came from my heart. (Mebbie it aint for them to feel, since it is from MY heart.)

Now... if someone expects me to put on my Maya Angelou suit and dissect someone else's thoughts, based on poetic styles and stuff like that, I'm sorry about their bad luck. I can only tell folks what emotional response their work created... or how I can relate to it. If that's not enough... please post your bitches, gripes, and complaints to suckmytinyballz@brickwall.com.

I guess that's a wordy way of saying that I agree with Photo.. Sorry for typing so much...

"To be a poet is a condition, not a profession."
- Robert Frost

http://inevitabletruth.blogspot.com/
http://www.lulu.com/content/187759
http://www.hdfest.com/Barry/allreviewsbarry.html
http://wishbonec.wordpress.com/

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 05:58 PM

11. "*LoL* @ Nowachaoticthing --"
In response to Reply # 10

Boy you ain't got no kinda sense! -- *chuckles*

(((suckmytinyballz@brickwall.com.)))

Ritz
185 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 06:19 PM

12. "RE: I came to this board with no real expectations..."
In response to Reply # 10

WAit a sec...I feel what Nowachaotic is sayin too. I mean I feel both you and Photo on this.

"eBasicly, when it comes to my work... i welcome all responses, and I will never react negatively to someone who simply isnt feeling what came from my heart. (Mebbie it aint for them to feel, since it is from MY heart."e

See I feel the same way about that. Damn....cant we all jus...GET ALONG!---<:-/

"Top Billin'!!!" -Vast Aire

"I'd rather be the Wisher than the Penny in the well.." -Aesop Rock

Ritz-479

"TOP BILLIN" -Vast Aire

Chaste_Souls
Member since Apr 02nd 2003
1021 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 06:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "OKLets KeeP it Real: Positive Love"
In response to Reply # 0

Some people get so in tune with a site that becomes a second home if you will for them. They began to look around to see who is NEW on the site as if they don't belong. I'm no one to judge, what I do is ask questions if I loose myself in a poem and there is nothing wrong with questioning or commenting/viewing a poem differently. The best thing to do without spreading negative judgement and that is to send the Author an Inbox, discuss it that way.** Photo, good topic

Bless C_S

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 07:31 PM

14. "I Couldn't Agree With U More --"
In response to Reply # 13

"The best thing to do without spreading negative judgement and that is to send the Author an Inbox, discuss it that way"

*Right~Right*

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 03:09 AM

15. "CoSign"
In response to Reply # 0

I think negativity has its place....kinda like a yin/yang but I think positivity is more important. Nice post Sis'.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Natalie
Member since May 06th 2003
2162 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 05:30 AM

16. "y'know..."
In response to Reply # 0

first, to the 'complaining old heads':

stop lurking and put in your two cents if you don't like the way things are, 'cause your background complaining shows you don't really care about the state of the boards and want someone else to put in the work for you if change is to happen... but, personally, i think those of us here like the boards and are working with what we've got.

now, as for those of us 'newbies' and hangers-on:

it's not that we're overly positive or lack negativity, it just seems like we lack a true curiosity as to why some of us wrote what we wrote...or even a desire to understand what we don't understand in someone's writing...there've been a few posts i've looked at where the responses have me going 'you didn't get it did you, but you just felt the need to respond, right?'...and even when ppl are asked to critique ppl seem to overlook the request and just give positive 'i like/cool/felt/lol' responses...nothing's wrong with all that, but it's always the same ppl asking or offering advice and it makes me wonder if no one else is really curious about the other ppls work...but then i also wonder if ppl are like me and inbox, 'cause if i have a serious prob with what i'm reading i'm more often than not going to inbox the person for clarification or to say something 'cause...well...it just seems appropriate...but we just don't seem like a very visibly curious lot of ppl...so, yeah, that's what i wanted to add to this.

thanks for all that imaginary eyeballing you gave ppl photo (though i felt like i was bein' eyeballed, too, erm!).

peace,

n.

==================================

"I'm a curbside prophet with my hand in my pocket and I'm waiting for my rocket to come." - Jason Mraz

"Conformity is the refuge of a stagnant mind."

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Wed Nov-26-03 05:28 PM

62. "RE: y'know..."
In response to Reply # 16
Wed Nov-26-03 06:17 PM

((('cause if i have a serious prob with what i'm reading i'm more often than not going to inbox the person for clarification or to say something 'cause...well...it just seems appropriate...)))

Yes ma'am Ms. Natalie -- I'm delightfully familiar with your INBOX clarification requests! -- *wink*

You're really insightful and good at that! -- ;^)

BLAKKRAGE
Member since May 20th 2002
555 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 05:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm on the case with ya. My feeling is this is... If you truly understand art for it's intended purpose which poetry is a form of, you can't help but recognize the greatness that lies in the attempt to create and share. Artist are uplifters, teachers of their language, prophets of peace, rage, love and hate and it's all positive.

peace

blakkrage

ASIEM
Charter member
4154 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 08:55 AM

18. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

dddaayyuuummm the mo flo that got yo git go on this mo must hit the bottom flo so now that this sho hit the no mo we just got ta let go of that kinna skizo heptic clepto that keep steelin dey flo from not having no mo to say nahmean? i loved your articulation so much i just lost it ha....loved this

ASIEM
"Kuun fiyah Kuun" Quran
(Be and it is)
" A writer takes his pen to write the words again that all in love is fair" Stevie Wonder
checkout these sites
http://4luvofpoetry.com
www.poetology.com

"keep pennin till the earth birth's your rightful seed then nurture it wit more ink..."
ASIEM
"Kuun fiyah Kuun" Quran
(Be and it is)
" A writer takes his pen to write the words again that all in love is fair" Stevie Wonder

www.myspace.com/asiem61

gsquared
Member since Oct 26th 2002
3647 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 09:07 AM

19. "Name names...."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-10-03 09:30 AM

>> I'm sick & tired of certain folks on the board acting like this "NEW BREED" /"New Jack" of writers are so inferior and out of touch with so~called "REAL" Poetry -- Compared to the OKP heads of back in the day (from 99' -- 2000 -- 2001 -- 2002) -- So "YOU" sit back, snort, laugh & criticize the newer heads.<<

...who are these fine, mature, loving individuals? They should come out in a post like this and explain how superior they are. I would love to try my best not too be too positive as I critique their work...I suspect that their collective genius may only exist in one another's eyes, because mature and decent people don't do what is highlighted above, it's actually bizarre to me, "sit back, snort, and laugh..."--wow, nice people, it must have been a hoot to hang out with this type of person back in the glory days...so if I post, I can expect to be snorted at and pointed to as these deeply respected heads laugh at me? Nah, it'll be a while before I give them that op again...thanks for the insight into the fine legacy of the board...

"The Hiphop community exists as an international culture of consciousness that provides all races, tribes, religions, and styles of people, a foundation for the communication of their best ideas and works. Hiphop Kulture is united as one multi-skilled, multi-cultural, multi-faith, multi-racial people, committed to the establishment and the development of peace."

--Hiphop declaration of peace, Temple of Hiphop

http://www.GaryPatrickGarry.com

"I'm stalling in flight
Hovering over horizons
Waiting for night"

"My turn to speak in tongues"
--Photosynthesis

Ambergirl
Member since Oct 07th 2003
347 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 09:38 AM

20. "Glad this post is here"
In response to Reply # 19

I have worried if my comments are helpful or not to other people when I post about their work. I am glad this is being discussed now. When someone specifically asks for criticism, I try to be very specific and give points to encourage as well as ask for clarification or suggest improvement where I think it is necessary. Otherwise, I want to let the author know their piece is being read and appreciated. Usually, if it is something I don't get or am turned off by (which has happened a couple of times) I do not even respond because I feel like someone else may be feeling it (which is usually the case) or someone else can say what I am feeling in a way that is more helpful than what I may initially think of the piece (what the he$$ is this?!!).

Above all, I must echo the points already mentioned that the OKP site is a community of artists supporting each other in a common love. Love hurts sometimes, so we certainly should feel free to post honest critique as well as positivity coz family should be able to do that. You cannot grow without both. I just think that if you have an honest critique, you should be able to say something encouraging along with it - even if it is "Keep trying". Aint no need to break somebody down because you aint feelin a piece - make your point and keep it movin, and keep it positive.

All of that is possible and necessary for balance.

divided
you wanna walk ahead of me
and the fact that you can't
is a thorn
now ain't it? ~Nathaniel

So it is better to speak/
remembering/we were never
meant to survive
Audre Lorde

Don't believe me/Keep

TheProdigiousPoet
Member since Aug 12th 2002
4969 posts
Wed Nov-12-03 06:55 AM

42. "dang dood how long you been here?"
In response to Reply # 19

all I ever heard when I first joined the board was how all the newbies were degrading Freestyle and about how they longed for the glory days...

Don't Duck

P.S.A.L.M

http://cashmonet.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/hollisterholliday

PantheraLeo
Charter member
535 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 09:43 AM

21. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

everybody on here is mediocre to shitty, so why not layer the room with a rose garden?

AHA! I WAS KIDDING!

*snicker*

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gotta Hotter Ink Blotter
~~~~~~~~~~~~

gsquared
Member since Oct 26th 2002
3647 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 10:18 AM

22. "..it's true..."
In response to Reply # 21

...there *is* a lot of mediocre and poor poetry on here, but it ain't confined to newer posters by any means, in fact, I can think of a couple of peeps offa the dome who may be the only ones on here who consistently drop mature, pro quality that aren't charter members, and I've seen self serving, wackish work by vets that really is like "B" work in early college English class that has 'em all inflated ...and I've seen the board held up by peeps who are getting better every day and have talent and love of craft that, if you wanted to criticize on lack of polish, you could, but I have seen less than 5 poets on here who write well enough to criticize anyone, let alone laugh...so let's get real, your place in the pecking order is defined by what have you done for the board lately...if you are a a true talent, it will show, and, trust me, ain't hardly nobody on here that is on a significantly higher level than what is the mean...

"The Hiphop community exists as an international culture of consciousness that provides all races, tribes, religions, and styles of people, a foundation for the communication of their best ideas and works. Hiphop Kulture is united as one multi-skilled, multi-cultural, multi-faith, multi-racial people, committed to the establishment and the development of peace."

--Hiphop declaration of peace, Temple of Hiphop

http://www.GaryPatrickGarry.com

"I'm stalling in flight
Hovering over horizons
Waiting for night"

"My turn to speak in tongues"
--Photosynthesis

Loni
Member since Oct 12th 2003
3904 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 01:39 PM

23. "Uhhhhmmmm..... well yeah"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-10-03 01:40 PM

but i disagree with your definition of negative.

the way i normally will break a response down is:

#1 deal with what i did not like and EXPLAIN to that person WHY i did not like that shit right there.

and then #2 compliment on what i did like.

some ppl seem to think i AM being negative about their work... no i'm not... i'm being HONEST and i'm also trying to be positive b/c you know, a spoon full of sugar and all that.

it's never personal.

i would prefer one "i wasn't feeling this BECAUSE dot dot dot"

than 300 "yeah cool, check me out!!!"s

dot . dot . dot .

☺ ☺

I guess U know me well, I don't like winter
But I seem 2 get a kick

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 02:16 PM

25. "Okie Dokie --"
In response to Reply # 23

Let's not look @ my definition of Negative -- Let's look at Webster's:

Negative -- a. Expressing, containing, or consisting of a negation, refusal, or denial, i.e. A negative answer -- b. Lacking the quality of being positive or affirmative, ie. Negative ideas -- c. Indicating opposition or resistance / Not constructive or positive, i.e. Negative criticism -- d. An image in which the light areas of the object rendered appear dark & the dark areas appear light, i.e. a film, plate, or other photographic material containing such an image.

^I dunno about you, but it puts things in perspective for me! -- ;^) ^

Never~The~Less, the way you deal with constructive criticism sounds just fine to me Loni -- ;^) -- I know I wouldn't have a problem with it if you ever decided to critique any of my work! -- *smiles*

And HONESTY is not the issue here either, cuz I'm sure we ALL want honest & sincere responses -- Regardless of whether they're on a constructive criticism tip - Or a -- "I REALLY FELT THAT!" -- "NICE!" -- (((AWESOME))) -- "I likes -- " tip!

If your response is sincere and pure -- I ain't gon' trip, no matter how you come @ me with critiques -- But folks not sayin' nutthin' at all -- (And using that as an excuse not to post or respond) -- Cuz they feel like everyone else is giving what they consider "pie in the sky" sweetness & candy~coated positive comments -- And they don't wanna look like da bad guy by sayin' summthin' negative -- THAT AIN'T GON' WORK EITHER, Nahmean?

If folks really and truly *KNOW* how to critique properly -- And they can do so with sincerity and not sarcasm -- Then they SHOULD do so instead of complaining about how the board is too sticky sweet with POSITIVITY, yaknow?

Thas' all I'm sayin' --

TheProdigiousPoet
Member since Aug 12th 2002
4969 posts
Wed Nov-12-03 06:56 AM

43. "lol what happened?"
In response to Reply # 23

Don't Duck

P.S.A.L.M

http://cashmonet.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/hollisterholliday

Insightful VernaculaR
Member since Nov 08th 2003
37 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 01:41 PM

24. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't think there's ever such a thing as too positive...i like your point of view and your thoughts....i have a question...am i following the rules so far? am i doing stuff right? i read the welcome mat, i just want to be sure. thanks for all the love...

onelove

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 02:18 PM

26. "You're Doing Great Insightful --"
In response to Reply # 24

Keep up the good work! -- *smiles*

Ritz
185 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 02:19 PM

27. "U Strait"
In response to Reply # 24

Yeah man dont worry bout it, your doin good. (uhh but i've violated it when i posted asking you to post in mine)..but shhh..anwyays..check out the guidelines again if not sure or e-mail an OKstaff member. Oh yeah, Insight...i'm not ya stalker, I jus keep followin you. Haha. peace.

"TOP BILLIN'!!!" -Vast Aire

"I'd rather be the Wisher than the Penny in the well.." -Aesop Rock

Ritz-479

"TOP BILLIN" -Vast Aire

Ezzsential
Charter member
11085 posts
Mon Nov-10-03 02:44 PM

28. "Folks SHOULD be able to come here and vent -- create --"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-10-03 02:46 PM

practice -- shine -- share -- love -- care -- ~AND~ -- If they ASK for it -- Receive the critiquing that some of YOU feel so empowered to give!

werd ps.. this said it right thurr!
and speaking of being "TOO POSITIVE" is BS.. there's plenty of non-unity and pessimism on here.
and there's also battles....
I feel there's a whole diversity that's why im proud to be here... fugg all that NEGATIVE talk! shiiiiiiiiiet

-Stephani
peep www.3kingsmusic.com and post ur poems on the forums! Support independent, positive hiphop!
peep my lil' page (pic) http://www.webspawner.com/users/delicateaurasoul/index.html

I'm a H.E.R.B.
Holotyped Existance
Rhetoric Bound

The new me is like: A woman killed in ruffles; falling to the ground with her hair spread out; her wrist secreting ambiant neon blood
Juggling the moon and stars in palms; with the flecks in the eyes turning globes confetti like yearns of non-existant love...
Running in barefoot brooks; with the moon arching its reflection up the aching backs where he holds onto my hips and sways me
my dreams are:
Renewing again amoungst the mating mossrocks stay satiated coining a pith in a breathy palms; so so sappy drenching dreary destiny to bloody toned walls
my heart calls: callused and waving kites colors hues meshing, please feel me- I'm so-so soft- scratching like cat napes, round and female with sun-dresses blowing passion.. kiss the wind swiveling tears on cheeks, the light beams behind my curls, I pose and bleeeeeeed with pain on my sleeve...
engulf: anger,sadness, happiness changing to squared rolling wheels, penetrate the projections of emotional mattresses... I feel open.. constantly.. dream of my transparent body unzipping my skin and stepping out of me.. and I run to cotton-candy padded fields and glow with bliss, and he will wait with his arms open- like that of jesus and view me- patiently...cuz he knows I tripped on my way there and I'm all bruised... ~ me

the colors were NEVER accurate!and people dont go thru people!

my music:
www.soundclick.com/sylana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brb8g8f18xE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgNuVHrEKI

the Light
Charter member
1332 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 12:05 PM

29. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess we're all here for different reasons.
I don't post just to get love- I want critique but it doesn't have to be over-elaborate.
I am on my fucking prozac.
It doesn't mean I need to be smothered in positivity.
Perhaps those who are looking for constructive criticism should alert respondants to this need- but then that could deter posters who just wanna let people know they felt a piece, or got something from it.

anyway, I'm rambling. It's good to talk.
This has been a perennial concern it seems.

<http://mysite.freeserve.com/guerilla_poetry>

Loose Lips Sink Ships!
*stop by, say hi*
http://shattered-star.blogspot.com

"in faith
we shall board our imagined ship and wildly sail
among sacred islands of the mad till death shatters the fabulous

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 01:58 PM

31. "Smothered In Positivity -- *chuckles*"
In response to Reply # 29

Nahhh sis -- That ain't even what this post is s'posed to be about -- ;^)

The issue is that some of the old heads from this board feel that the condition & aura of the board NOW -- (Compare to how it USED to be) -- But they feel like it's too sticky sweet & POSITIVE -- With little or no REAL CRITIQUING -- So they choose not to post or respond/reply here much anymore!

But the thing is: "Just because my style of replying is Positive, Encouraging, or Uplifting -- Doesn't mean that you have to do things the same way I do, naamsayin'? -- You may have the skills and desire to break down a flow & share more than just your feelings about the flow; moreso -- To help them with the grammatical structure, format or whatever is needed to polish & perfect the flow itself!

Like you said: "Everyone may have a different reason for why they frequent this board" -- Just like some folks are looking for WHAT'S RIGHT WITH THEIR FLOWS -- WHILE OTHERS ARE LOOKING FOR "WHAT'S WRONG!

And if ppl are truly looking for CRITIQUES of that nature on their pCe's -- They should either put it somewhere on the subject line -- Or within the post itself!

Thanks for droppin' your two cents -- ;^) -- I can buy an ice cream now! -- *smiles*

the Light
Charter member
1332 posts
Thu Nov-13-03 09:48 AM

50. "RE: Smothered In Positivity -- *chuckles*"
In response to Reply # 31

"Nahhh sis -- That ain't even what this post is s'posed to be about -- ;^)"

-Yeah honey, I understand. I was just trying to say that where people do not want negativity, there are those who do not want the opposing extreme- In fact these seemingly polar responses should surely be working as a constituent mix of varying quantities in a reply, depending on the individual poem etc.

"Personally, I don't have time to try weeding out the sincere from the insincere"

-No, I don’t believe any of us have. And if we did, it would be a humanly impossible feat to do so with utmost certainty. Also in regards to the above quote, we have neither the time or ability to wholly differentiate the sincere from the insincere. By the same token, we are also unable to ’weed out’ those suffering from the negativity you describe below and adjust our replies accordingly. Are you suggesting we skew are opinions of something just in case someone’s having a bad day? Do you underestimate our resilience and objectivity? (I don’t for a minute believe you do- it’s just rhetorical.)

Hopefully we can certainly be in agreement on one thing: replies should be HONEST, FAIR, BALANCED, RESPECTFUL, and not ‘aggressively’ negative, or ‘aggressively’ positive.

"First of all -- There's enough "Negativity" -- (((OUTSIDE))) the intenet lately -- With Wars and rumours of wars, Abuse of every kind -- (mental, physical, emotional, child abuse, drug abuse, self inflicted abuse, suicide, etc.) -- prejudice, unemployment (job lay~offs) -- etc., etc. -- You name it! -- "

"Of the people on this board -- (Unless they share with you regularly): You don't *know* -- Whoze had a bad day @ work -- Who just got fired from their job -- Who has to file for bankruptcy -- Who's homeless & out on the street with little or no support from family or friends -- (sittin' in the library on the computer) -- Who's in the process of a divorce -- Who just got date raped! -- Who lost a child thru miscarriage or abortion -- Who's considering suicide or killing someone else --Who's having problems @ home (Of ANY kind) -- YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!!"

-You also make a flippant sentence like this:

"If you can't see a silver lining, or see the glass half full instead of half empty in this world, then you might as well take ya PROZAC -- (Or drug of choice) -- And chill out under a rock somewhere!"

-after just saying how much negativity people are facing, you may appear to be deriding the seriousness and inherent negativity of depression and those on Prozac or other medications to help treat it. Now, despite my depression and use of the aforementioned drug, I took your comment in good humour because I knew (from what little I know of you) that you were just joking and meant nothing untoward by it. I also have a self-deprecating humour! Now before you get defensive(!), by mentioning this I am trying to point out that any comment can be interpreted as either positive or negative- despite the intent behind it.

Please do not think I am attacking your post or your point of view. I fully respect your position here on the boards and the feeling you are trying to convey, and on the most part I agree with you. Your comments never fail to make me smile and they are welcome on any of my posts whether I want critique or not! Sorry also for breaking down your original post like a critique of a poem *smiles*

"Thanks for droppin' your two cents -- ;^) -- I can buy an ice cream now! -- *smiles*"

You are welcome to my 2cents any time you like- but I dread to think what kind of ice cream your getting unless you have some more change in your pocket! :-*

Loose Lips Sink Ships!
*stop by, say hi*

"in faith

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Thu Nov-13-03 03:27 PM

52. "My Apologies "Your Lightness" --"
In response to Reply # 50

The PROZAC comment was inconsiderate of me! -- *sigh*

I have some family members -- As well as a few co~workers & friends who've been prescribed PROZAC -- But most of them laugh or joke about it -- So I didn't think about the possibility of being Politically Incorrect in my statement!

NO HARM INTENDED, AS I'M SURE YOU ALREADY KNOW! -- *smiles*

But you know summthin'? -- This reminds me of when a story is passed down from one person to three more -- And by the time it reaches the 4th person -- The story has changed tremendously -- to where it ain't even the same story anymore!

This is the deal, okay?

Comments & responses -- Like: "I felt that! -- This was beautiful! -- Great Read! -- This made me smile! -- I can relate! -- (((Awesome))) -- ~Smoothe like Butta~" -- etc., etc., etc. -- Are considered "TOO POSITIVE" because they don't break down the actual flow -- And they don't speak on what was really enjoyed -- Or point out the weaknesses of where the flow might've fell off!

The consensus is that we're all a buncha "honey drippers" who NEVER have anything bad to say about ANYTHING! -- (((Oh Well)))

But the issue isn't really about negativity -- Because I don't expect that too many folks would come right out and say: YOU SUCK! -- THIS WAS HORRIBLE! -- DAMN SON, HOW OLD ARE YOU -- AND WHAT GRADE ARE YOU IN? -- Nahmean?

I just happen to mention -- That the OPPOSITE of Postive -- (Which is what we're accused of being too much of) -- Is NEGATIVE!

But the real issue is: Do folks really *KNOW* how to critique a flow so that they don't come off sounding condescending or overly critical in the dissecting & breakdown of certain poems?

If folks really WANT critiquing, then shouldn't they ask for it somewhere in the subject title or the flow itself?

And how many ppl are certifiably adept & qualified to give REAL CRITIQUING? -- What makes them an EXPERT in breaking down your flow? -- Cuz I could tell you to take out certain things in ya flow that don't seem necessary -- And someone else could turn around and say: Heyyyy, don't take that out -- I think it added value to the flow! -- (SOMETIMES, MORE THAN ANYTHING, IT'S JUST A MATTER OF OPINION) -- Besides crossin' yo t's and dottin' your i's --

But all the input you've given here is much appreciated! -- ;^)

And again -- My Apologies!

the Light
Charter member
1332 posts
Sat Nov-15-03 12:12 AM

53. "RE: My Apologies"
In response to Reply # 52
Sat Nov-15-03 12:17 AM

^^perhaps a little too condescending, don'tcha think?!

>The PROZAC comment was inconsiderate of me! -- *sigh*
>
>I have some family members -- As well as a few co~workers &
>friends who've been prescribed PROZAC -- But most of them
>laugh or joke about it -- So I didn't think about the
>possibility of being Politically Incorrect in my statement!
>
^^^No, no, no. here we go again. See, you and me essentially ARE on the same wavelength. I DO joke about it, I DO take it in good humour- in fact I make people uncomfortable because I laugh about my 'condition' so much!
The point, as I explained previously, was that despite us making a comment in good faith, anyone else could misconceive it as something else, you get me?!
I PERSONALLY did not take offence to your comment- someone more sensitive or naive might have. Therefore there was no need to apologise to me- I was kinda playin' devil's advocate to try and see things from another point of view.

Everything you continued to say in the rest of your last post I already am aware of, understand, and on the most part, AGREE with.

Now I will stop because I am finding it difficult to grasp why you think I am antagonising you when I thought, quite clearly, we have similar points of view and concerns for the board.

Ahhh, truce? *group hug*
Peace, love, respect,
"My Lightness"!

Loose Lips Sink Ships!
*stop by, say hi*

"in faith

clarion
Member since Jul 07th 2003
9469 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 01:38 PM

30. "well said..u know what I if I dont understand what Im"
In response to Reply # 0

reading I'll say so..but if Im enjoying what I read Im not goin 2 hate. Sometimes I feel that if a piece needs to be critic then critic it dont be scared..im a person that appreciates it..right now im in some sort of musical funk where everything Ive been writing has been comin out that way but i digress..Inbox me or openly criticize me...it aint sensitive..im open to learnin

FROM UNKNOWN
Member since Jun 06th 2002
692 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 02:19 PM

32. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-11-03 02:30 PM

I whole heartedly agree,also the real funny thing is.Those who find time to be critical are probably the dilletants who assume they understand the poetical formats of writing.Because they somehow have learned to put together words in a contructive manner.Even that takes on the shape of degree's.
Infact,they are the ones who probably need to come to my poetry workshop.Beloved undermine the efforts of those who wish to asassinate your character because they don't posesse the same endearing qualities.

Peace Unknown, WWW.MINIYARECORDS.COM home of Minoa and Unknown,presents "Winds Of Change" album. Soon coming Unknown album entitled "Hemisphere" produced by Obsidian Blue late "2003"

Ps:I want to send you my personal info and a picture!!

paperdollpoet
Charter member
2238 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 02:25 PM

33. "positive is a forked tongue creature"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-11-03 02:35 PM

there is a BIG difference between

being positive and encouraging

and

being fake with "whoa that was so HOT!" just so people will come by and ego stroke your post with the same "positive" words.

i only have an issue with the latter.

---
"a blk man don't have no business in an army
that he ain't fighting with
but fighting for
purple hearts that dangle from dead niggas
ain't revolutionary
cause you died as an enemy"
- doll

www.sheflypaper.com

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 02:44 PM

34. "The Question Is --"
In response to Reply # 33
Tue Nov-11-03 02:45 PM

Who KNOWS what's in a person's heart -- What they're REALLY feeling? -- (Or what they're NOT really feeling if they don't say so!)

And who *KNOW* who's fake and who's REAL -- HuH?

You gotta take the good with the bad in life -- (As in any and all situations) -- And it ain't no different on this board!

There WILL always be some insincere people who don't really mean what they're sayin' -- Who just wanna get their egos stroked back --

But there are just as many -- (if not more) -- TRULY SINCERE FOLKS who "DO" mean what they say!

I have issues with the latter also -- But it ain't enough to stop me from posting on this board!

Personally, I don't have time to try weeding out the sincere from the insincere -- Cuz life is too short to worry about shit like that, nahmean?

paperdollpoet
Charter member
2238 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 02:59 PM

38. "RE: The Question Is --"
In response to Reply # 34

i hear ya.

but isn't life to short to worry about what some un-named "vets" (or whomever is complaining) think, too?

*shrug*

---
but fighting for
ain't revolutionary
- doll

www.sheflypaper.com

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 03:08 PM

39. "Indeed --"
In response to Reply # 38

Life "IS" too short to worry about what some un-named "vets' think -- But I ain't worrying -- I'm just puttin' IT out there to see what others on the board think --

If we are being "TOO POSITIVE" -- Maybe those with the skills & knowledge to bring a balance of REAL CRITIQUE~ING back to the board -- Will step forward and SHOW us how to do it -- INSTEAD OF CRITICIZING US FOR BEING TOO LIGHTWEIGHT AND "O" POSITIVE! -- ;^)

paperdollpoet
Charter member
2238 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 04:26 PM

40. "RE: Indeed --"
In response to Reply # 39

yeah

they should.

---
but fighting for
ain't revolutionary
- doll

www.sheflypaper.com

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 02:49 PM

35. "Hey!"

where you been?

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 02:52 PM

36. "RE: Hey!"
In response to Reply # 35
Tue Nov-11-03 03:12 PM

*chuckles*

Never Mind -- ;^)

Check ya INBOX later!

paperdollpoet
Charter member
2238 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 02:55 PM

37. "RE: Hey!"
In response to Reply # 35

Hey Love,

Life is got me back in slavery. Chained to responsibility.

But, its a sweat torment. as much as i love to comaplin.

How's your world?

---
but fighting for
ain't revolutionary
- doll

www.sheflypaper.com

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Wed Nov-12-03 07:35 AM

45. "seen better days but...."
In response to Reply # 37

who am I to complain. Glad to hear all is well with you!

mindful
Charter member
41306 posts
Sat Nov-15-03 06:22 AM

54. "exactly nm"

=====================
one winged angels
meant to fly ©3rdi

speaking up
©John Mayer

------------------------------
my work
http://meetmsmindful.wordpress.com
http://www.lulu.com/content/7598631
http://evan-roth.com/grey.php

InspiredFree
Member since Oct 10th 2003
473 posts
Tue Nov-11-03 05:34 PM

41. "RE: Too Positive?"
In response to Reply # 0

"It's true, some folks don't *know* how to receive constructive critiquing -- So out of ignorance, they may take a response personally and lash out, or try to justify "why" they wrote the way the did, in their own defense -- But I feel if you're critiquing OUT OF LOVE and "WITH" LOVE -- And you explain your purpose -- Heads on this board would "receive" that LOVE with appreciation & gratitude."

I feel dat.

Otto
Member since Dec 19th 2002
4624 posts
Wed Nov-12-03 06:59 AM

44. "put it like this photizzle.."
In response to Reply # 0

i love u no matter what, i dont think u is too positive, i love you because thats u...feel me?

oh, and you spelled internet wrong...lol...

-Otto

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Wed Nov-12-03 03:08 PM

46. "Where?"
In response to Reply # 44

Where'd I spell internet wrong? -- *grrrrrrr*

U love me? -- *Awwwwwwwwwww* -- Thanx Otto -- Me luvs U 2! -- ;^)

Chaste_Souls
1021 posts
Wed Nov-12-03 03:36 PM

47. "* *) S* * What You Started Photo ^Ups^"
In response to Reply # 46

This subject was really needed, Re-Uppin this here...Bless

C_S

Otto
Member since Dec 19th 2002
4624 posts
Thu Nov-13-03 07:09 AM

48. "Here!"
In response to Reply # 46

First of all -- There's enough "Negativity" -- (((OUTSIDE))) the intenet lately -- With Wars and rumours of wars,

-Otto

aint a big deal though...im the king of bistakes...

...lol...

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Thu Nov-13-03 02:35 PM

51. "(((OUTSIDE))) the intenet lately --"
In response to Reply # 48

Awwwww maynnnnn -- ;^(

*Falls on The Knife -- Hari~Kari Style* -- *chuckles*

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Thu Nov-13-03 07:11 AM

49. "CoSizzle...."
In response to Reply # 44

>i love u no matter what, i dont think u is too positive, i
>love you because thats u...feel me?

Chaste_Souls
1021 posts
Thu Nov-20-03 03:52 PM

55. "DROPPED DIME"
In response to Reply # 0

Some folk drop dime and run fugitive like a crime...

This Eye Opener will get the Oldie's & Newbie's opened for other great talents, who have never written poems before in the open to go for it....Don't be mad, embrace the one's that share pure emotions whether it's through Battles, Song or etc., I'm glad you came.

Bless C_S

Foneticcus
Charter member
10424 posts
Mon Nov-24-03 06:21 PM

56. "positive, negative..."
In response to Reply # 0

2 opposite ends of a spectrum huh? aight, lemme give an example...

if i stepped in2 a room & claimed that there was 2 much "white" in there, as in 2 many folks of the "white race", then would that mean i'm asking 4 folks of the "black race" 2 infiltrate or just non-white folk? i'd think, simply based on the grammar there & logic/reason it'd be the latter. non-positive does not have 2b negative...even in science, physics -- there r uncharged objects... ;0).

my point is, though i haven't read any of these inboxes or prolly most of the posts u speak on, i can understand both issues. i think those who complain abt so called positivity r being unfairly portrayed -- i think any true lover of language wants it 2b presented & preserved in its most exquisite form, & that takes elevation in talent & proficiency. THAT in turn takes critique, not necessarily criticism. if u're not here 2 get critIQUED then my opinion is, keep it in the notebook & away from public eye. otherwise, be prepared & actually *welcoming* of folks opinions, good/bad, of yr work. & the desire 4 more balanced, & honest opinions that allow growth rather than complacency, contentment w/ status quo, etc...i think that's a great desire, rather than one 2b lambasted.

*shrug*

my tewsints.

===========================

"Pimping ain't art...but grabbing guns is?!"
(c) Menphyel

"I've come to realise that I never loved Hip-Hop as a whole,
just a particular era that happened at the same time as
I was actively checking actively for new music."

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Tue Nov-25-03 04:11 AM

57. "RE: positive, negative..."
In response to Reply # 56
Tue Nov-25-03 04:13 AM

Get it str8 Foneticcus okay? -- "GET IT STRAIGHT" -- Don't get it twisted!

The folks who LEFT the OKP Freestyle Board because the board was becoming TOO POSITIVE with little or no REAL critiquing -- COULD HAVE STAYED AND SHOWED US ROOKIES HOW IT'S 'SPOSED 2 BE DONE -- (Instead of Leaving) -- Instead of lurking the boards snickering & being cynnical & sarcastic about how shitty the board has turned out to be with these "New Jack" non-poetical, POSITIVE heads.

You don't leave cuz things don't go your way -- YOU STAY AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

You STAY -- And show the way it supposed to be done by EXAMPLE!!!

Aaiight?

You got it ?

In the long run -- it really ain't got shit to do with Positive or Negative -- It's a matter of TASTE & VARIETY, & DIVERSITY! -- And the fact some folks are on different levels of skillsets!

Aaiight?

We all welcome the professional critiquing of which you speak -- But those who were qualified to do so have disappeared -- Or either refuse to give some of us the time of day to do so!

Yes, we all want that balance and the honest opinions of which you speak -- But we gotta do it the best we can BY OURSELVES -- Cuz those of you who talk a good talk -- DON'T NECESSARILY WALK THE GOOD WALK!

Aaiight?

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Tue Nov-25-03 06:47 PM

58. "ADDENDUM --"
In response to Reply # 57
Tue Nov-25-03 06:54 PM

>Instead of lurking the boards snickering & being cynnical & sarcastic about how shitty the board has turned out to be with these "New Jack" non-poetical, POSITIVE heads.

I was asked if I meant the above statment literally -- The part about "these New Jack, non-poetical, POSITIVE heads".

The comment was made from the perspective of those who don't feel the caliber of poetry being displayed lately on the board is *Up To Par'* -- Those who feel like the newer heads not only don't know how to critique poetry properly -- They don't know how to flow either! -- (At least not like they did "BACK IN DA DAY WHEN POETRY WARRANTED A RESPONSE") -- (((That ain't my opinion, but the so~called consensus of those aforementioned)))

P.S. Yo -- Del or Know -- Is it possible to get this Archived? -- I mean, just for the sake of understanding the ying & yang perspectives -- Positive & Negative -- And to see the balance/imbalance of differing opinions as far as critiquing or flowing is concerned?

It'll be historic, nahmean?

A year or two from now, we can see if things have change any -- Or if shit is still the "same ol' same ol'"! -- *chuckles*

Foneticcus
Charter member
10424 posts
Tue Nov-25-03 08:51 PM

59. "like biggie said..."
In response to Reply # 57

"i got a story t' tell"...

i guess i'm part of the clique that would commonly be be referred 2 as 'vets'. i've been here 4 years str8, & seen abt as much as there is 2 c of this board. the rise & fall of ppl, disappearances, comebacks, namechanges, tides coming in/out...the whole 9, basically. i say all this, not 2 give props 2 myself, but 2 establish the validity of my own speech. my claim 2b able, 2 have the qualifications 2 spit on this. thru most of my OKP career, i've been a response phenom -- most e'body who knows my name here can attest 2 this. i started off simply replying, no posts @ all. over time, i posted my work, but always making sure 2 give love from page 7 right thru to page 1. i'd spend 3, 4 hrs of a day doing nothing but reading post after post, giving even mediocre joints a chance, just so i could give indepth, detailed responses...quote from the actual pCe & offer critiques when necessary. @ the height of my involvement, i'd throw up nearly 30 replies in one day. not one-line, nothing jawns but responses w/ substance & yes, volume. the "vet whining" that us old-heads r so well known 4, i've almost never taken part in. i'm one of those who've talked the talk AND walked the walk, but actually i've been nearly ALL walk. what diff has it made? well, i can't go by anything but the current st8 of the board right now...& from that, the only real evidence there is, obv all my grinding made minimal diff. it's great 2b an idealist & talk abt working 4 change & fighting thru things, but u yrself said -- u can't tell who's on these boards, what their backgrounds r, what they've been thru...and HENCE it goes w/out saying that u can't simply sway a tide of diverse, independent, individuals bent on getting their board fix & bouncing. no not e'body falls under that, but the exact thing u're asking folks 2 do -- lead by example, walk the walk...has been done, time & time again by cats like me, 2 no avail. so no, i dont believe in that method anymore, no i dont believe in the ability of the boards 2 revert back 2 this property or that quality. the boards depend on the ppl & u can't trust the ppl 2 get 'on board' w/ any idea or theory or 12step reformation program, no matter how well-meaning or good-intentioned. these ain't even my frickin' boards anymore...4 all intents & purposes, shoot...i've dipped. but like i said in the beginning...i had a story 2 tell.

& i told it.

g'luck y'all...pCe.

===========================

"Pimping ain't art...but grabbing guns is?!"
(c) Menphyel

"I've come to realise that I never loved Hip-Hop as a whole,
just a particular era that happened at the same time as
I was actively checking actively for new music."

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Wed Nov-26-03 01:24 AM

60. "I Got A Story 2 Tell Too --"
In response to Reply # 59
Wed Nov-26-03 01:37 AM

OFF & ON -- I've been on this board OVER three (3) years now -- Under different alias's -- But I bloomed under the name PhotoSynthesis for the last two years -- So I chose to stick around and make a difference this time!

Three years or more ago -- I sporadically got a few crumbs of love thrown at me by folks like yourself, mindful, presyzion, jesmar, jsmoovjr, vitamink, knowone -- (And maybe a few others, but I can't remember the names) -- However, for the most part, I saw SEVERAL threads falling off page seven with big fat ZERO's -- No Responses -- NO LOVE! -- (I also made it a point to change that!)

The vet cliques, for the most part, ONLY had love for each other -- For themselves -- And the consensus was: "YOU GOTTA STAY ON THE BOARD FOR AWHILE AND PROVE YO'SELF -- WE AIN'T JUST GON' GIVE YOU LOVE WHEN YOU JUST GOT HERE -- AND YOU AIN'T BEEN HERE BUT A COUPLE OF FEW MONTHS!!!" -- *hmmmph*

So I watched multiple hoards of potentials falling by the wayside -- disappearing discouraged -- and many NEVER coming back -- Cuz the board had a reputation for being TOO HARD to live up to the standards enforced by certain VETS who held their noses up in the air and acted like NEWBIES STUNK LIKE BABY SHIT! And some VETS could be downright mean and nasty with their so~called CRITIQUES!

But I saw YOU -- Giving indepth critiques and encouragement -- Yeah I saw you! -- And I admired you from "DAY ONE" for the love you showered on heads -- OLD & NEW! -- You may not know it -- But you're the reason why I stuck around under my latest alias', PHOTOSYNTHESIS! -- And I tried to follow in YOUR footsteps by spreading that same love & encouragement -- MORESO to the new heads who were a little shaky or unsure of themselves! -- Oh, I couldn't do it just like you did -- But I wasn't tryna be YOU -- I was tryna be ME -- The best way I knew how -- So I lifted (and I STILL lift and resurrect) as many threads as I can from PAGE 7 -- Those that I feel warrant a second chance. And I still welcome and encourage the newbies, plus give love to the oldies too -- (IF THEY HAVEN'T STEPPED ON MY TOES PREVIOUSLY)

But the thing is -- I KNOW GOOD AND GODDDAMN WELL I MADE A DIFFERENCE ON THIS BOARD!!! -- Can't NOBODY tell me differently, nahmean? -- Newbies welcome each other now -- Moreso than they did before! Newbies encourage each other now -- And most have the same philosophy that I've tried to instill -- (((GIVE LOVE / GET LOVE))) -- It only makes sense in the long run -- In essence, why expect heads to shower your flows with daps, props, accolades, or critiques, when you ain't took the time to peep and respond to others on the board! -- Right? --

I believe the newbies who ain't so new -- As well as the BRAND SPANKIN' NEWBIES -- Feel more comfortable on the board now, moreso than they used to back in the day when some of the VETS put em' under a magnifying glass and made em' feel like foreign specimens.

I know boo -- I was around back then, aaiight! I saw how folks were treated back in 2000 & 2001 -- And I KNOW DAMN WELL the flava of this board has changed. And you damn right, I'll take credit for the Positivity on the board now -- Regardless of whether it's considered a bad thing -- OR A GOOD THING!

I made a difference -- And I'll continue making a difference -- Cuz I know all it takes is ONE PERSISTENT PERSON to LEAD BY EXAMPLE!

Allow me to thank YOU for being an example that influenced ME thus far -- Even tho you left the boards and only lurk now! -- *smiles*

If you don't think the things you did made a difference -- If you don't think the love, encouragement & critiques you shared created ripples in this stream called OKP Freestyle -- THINK AGAIN! -- Cuz they mos' def' influenced me!

P*E*A*C*E & LOVE

freedomfighter
Member since Apr 03rd 2003
1942 posts
Wed Nov-26-03 06:50 AM

61. "RE: I Got A Story 2 Tell Too --"
In response to Reply # 60

cosign'd
dangurus mines

Freeworld Order
Dangurus Mines

BadNewsBrown
Member since Dec 30th 2002
611 posts
Thu Nov-27-03 09:50 PM

63. "archive."
In response to Reply # 0

Vinnie
the muthafuckin bean.town.bomber.

Vinnie
"Number One in the Hood, G."

(once again)THE BEANTOWN BOMBER< BABY!
Ruler of All That I Survey on MySpace

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Mon Dec-01-03 03:26 PM

64. "Ms. Del -- Or Mr. *Know*"
In response to Reply # 0

Check yo INBOXES --

Can I get an archive on this, POR FAVOR? -- ;^)

No hurry -- Just B~4 it falls off of Page 7!

Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #2655 Previous topic | Next topic