Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #14377

Subject: "YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII" Previous topic | Next topic
blak_yukon
Charter member
3901 posts
Fri Apr-01-05 03:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII"

Salutations, its The Sandwich King better known as Uncle Blak with yet another installment of the constantly evolving Yukon Magazine. Were it’s all about highlighting folks on top of their game here at the Okay Speakeasy. Now let me explain, I saw something on one of the other boards a while back and they were pitching some ideas so far as name changes during the board updates. I saw the name “Speakeasy” used to describe the name of this place and I thought it was dope. I mean…this place caters and suites more of the poetic types than your average rap cat anyway. Maybe that was just an early millennium thing; the idea of posting raps on the internet, y’know. To call this place The Freestyle Board seems a bit misleading in my opinion. Aight, so that’s my soapbox…back to the matter at hand. This month we shine the spotlight possibly on the youngest (definitely the youngest to get a YM) but also one of the sharpest writers on the board. Not only does her talent belie her age but also her sense of humor. She has that dead-pan sarcasm usually reserved for older, more cynical folks. *shrugs* I speak of SoulChild who’s been supporting this mag for awhile too, see girl…I’ve noticed that and I thank’ya. Let’s see what she has to say.

YM. So how did you get started here at okayplayer?

Music is my first love. And sometime between my teenybopper stage and the brooding adolescence, I developed a thing for hiphop. With this in mind, my older sister turned me on to okayplayer. I joined on Christmas of ‘03 but I lurked for a month or two before feeling reckless enough to post something of my own. The writings on this board were well above my musings at the time. When I finally posted something, I got 6 replies. For all of which, I was more excited than I’m normally willing to admit. And so, I stuck around.

YM. They refer to my generation as “Generation X”, all them folks creeping to or already in there 30’s. How do you feel about you’re generation being called 'The Hip-Hop Generation'? To what degree does Hip-Hop play in your life and in youth writing?

I borrowed "The Score" from my sister because I dug everybody’s favorite ballad on track 8. It was late at night, in the privacy of my headphones, when I did exactly what my momma told me not to: listened to the rest of what the Fugees had to say. And between “Ready or Not” and “Manifest”, I first felt hiphop.
Stylistically, I appreciate hip hop; the beats, the flows, the swagger. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve started to notice what this music lacks. Direction.
Soul was the soundtrack of the civil rights era, jazz vocalized the anti-lynching movement, and Negro spirituals ushered blacks from slavery. Hip hop, as a whole, lacks a unified purpose. When creators do try to use their music for social betterment, it’s not adequately nurtured by African American leaders, nor the older generations who precociously deemed hip hop worthless. Not seeing this music as the political vehicle it could be, it’s become vulnerable to a hijack into mainstream “bling-bling-ism” which has promoted plenty of bullshit.
The “hip-hop generation” needs to be propelled toward a cause. Hip-hop should unite us in something other than a national obsession with a certain type of shoe.
It’s music. Music that I love. But as Mistuh Al Sharpton put it, “The hip hop culture is just like electricity. It can be used negatively or positively. The same electric current that lights up your house can also electrocute you.”

(blak – so, I didn’t answer how hiphop touches my life and youth writing, but I said what I wanted to say, and I figure that I rambled on enough…)

YM. As a younger person on the boards do the other writers here at all intimate you? What is your relationship to them? Who are some writers that have influenced your work if at all?

Well…the intimidation was a thing of the beginning. When I first came I was 15 and in awe. It was really those honest bitches. The ones who meant to tell me exactly what they thought. They made me nervous every time I bared a piece. I was both terrified and hungry for what they were gonna say. By now, I love the honesty more than anything.
Regardless of the fact that I’m a “younger person on the boards” I’ve gotten close with plenty’a cats. There are writers who I greatly respect here, and some who’ve taken the time to work with me on my own pieces, like foneticuss, otto, rgv, decstar, ratpackslim, and others I don’t mean to forget.
I spend a lot of time reading. Toni Morrison, Yusef Komunyakaa, Charles Bukowski, Rita Dove, Patricia Smith, Regie Gibson, among others, have all influenced my work.

YM. Often, people talk about "coming into their own" do you feel like you've done that?

Not yet. Of course I’ve grown, I’m not the same writer I was 3 years ago. But if I had to admit that I’ve “come into my own” now, I’d be disappointed. I have so much to read, to see, to learn. I’m still frustrated and dissatisfied. And writers, they are ever-evolving things. Words are never stagnant. So, I plan to keep growing as they do. Dying, as they do. Resurrecting, as they do. I don’t intend on ever “coming into my own”. But I do intend on writing through. Just keep writing through.

YM. A lot of writers have reoccurring themes behind their work…yours, we've noticed, race and gender. Can you elaborate on your experiences, and how it relates to your writing?

Race is a part of my home. In my house, it’s like a scent. Muzak that you’ve grown so used to, you have to be reminded that it’s there. My mother is black, my father is white, and my brother, sister, and I are somewhere in between. My interest in race is pretty much swimming in my blood.
Gender? Well, because I don’t think much about the patterns of my writing, I wasn’t aware that it was a reoccurring theme. But, as I think about it, I’ve written quite a bit about women, and what it means to be girl. And I wouldn’t say that that should be surprising. I’m just writing from where I am, with these breasts, and these fallopian tubes.

YM. Don’t have to tell you love is a hot topic in poetry. Ageless, timeless talk to me about love.

I don’t typically write about love (at least not in first person) for two reasons:

1) I don’t do sappiness. None of that “Nubian cocoa bean king-be the butter on my cornbread-let us bumpeth and/or grindeth the night away!” kind of stuff. Therefore, if I do write a love poem, it must be original, and I guess the inspiration hasn't hit…
2) Secondly, and more importantly, I have yet to fall in love.

YM. Your avatars...Angie Davis, Erykah Badu…How do you relate to these figures? Do they hold a special place for you?

Well, my mother is a strong black woman. She is also the first being I loveed when I came into this world. And for my love of black women, that is the only good explanation I have. Maybe it’s just the time of life, but I am drawn to them, and one day hope to be one of them.

Plus, anyway, I dig angie’s afro…

YM. I believe your government alias is Phyllis, right? How does she intend to make her mark?

I figure I’ll always write. I’ll always sing. Those things are as natural as limbs. Maybe I’ll write a book one day that best sells. Maybe I’ll only sing to my shower curtain and a few bottles of shampoo. Maybe I’ll fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. Maybe I’ll move to Africa and read books on the top of hills.
I plan to always have passion. And how I make my mark? I suppose we’ll find out.

YM. Word associations time…a little twist from my usual last question concerning last thoughts. Ya’ready!?…

OkayPlayer - the hermit’s wonderland

Poetry - immortal

God - love

Purpose - antistrophe

Rgv - who?

Yukon Magzine - lies

I’d like to thank blak for this interview, and all of y’all
for this soil
in which we have the
God-given burden
to grow.

The flag is near...

---------SIG-----------

once i figure out how to keep a sig and not have all chopped up whenever i respond to a post.

http://ryanavery.com/musick/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i'm smiling so wide
Apr 01st 2005
RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII
Apr 01st 2005
ohhh blak
Apr 01st 2005
RE: ohhh blak
Apr 16th 2005
this makes her even more beautiful.
Apr 02nd 2005
she got the spirit of a writer deep within her soul nm
Apr 02nd 2005
Great Job
Apr 02nd 2005
Apr 02nd 2005
Apr 03rd 2005
Apr 04th 2005
She is so wise beyond her years.
Apr 04th 2005
spunky lil'chick aint she?...
Apr 05th 2005
Apr 05th 2005
Simon!
Apr 05th 2005
ahhh its my soulchild
Apr 08th 2005
Apr 13th 2005
love the new logo
Apr 14th 2005
that's some indepth shit
Apr 15th 2005
to everyone --
Apr 16th 2005
two questions
Apr 17th 2005
RE: two questions
Apr 21st 2005
      one more mama
Apr 22nd 2005
           RE: one more mama
Apr 26th 2005

rgv
Charter member
4556 posts
Fri Apr-01-05 03:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i'm smiling so wide"
In response to Reply # 0

my cheeks hurt
i dont have a particular question just yet...but i will comment on this:

So, I plan to keep growing as they do. Dying, as they do. Resurrecting, as they do. I don’t intend on ever “coming into my own”. But I do intend on writing through. Just keep writing through.

^ that's a poem....go sumwhere w/ that
& bring it back home

i just want chu to know
how i feel
how i feel

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Fri Apr-01-05 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure this will be ANCHORED soon enuff -- So I won't bother asking, but I was wondering when lil' sis would get her chance to (((SHINE)))

And (((SHINE))) she does --

You did it again blak -- nice job!

Every issue digs deeper with more meat & potatoes!

*Delicious*

A guitar string vibrating, a measure of my soul, a breech in the silence --
I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/photosynthesis_music.htm

Zin
Member since Jan 21st 2004
2972 posts
Fri Apr-01-05 04:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "ohhh blak"
In response to Reply # 0

you out did yourself this month ....soulchild i've been looking for you!!!!1 don't you owe me something?

sig.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess who's Back

soulchild
Member since Dec 25th 2003
1272 posts
Sat Apr-16-05 09:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "RE: ohhh blak"
In response to Reply # 3

*smile*
yeah, but i got you man, all in good time.

paperdollpoet
Charter member
2238 posts
Sat Apr-02-05 12:31 AM

4. "this makes her even more beautiful."
In response to Reply # 0

thank you for the inside look.
---
www.sheflypaper.com

the perfect mistake
Member since Dec 19th 2004
5090 posts
Sat Apr-02-05 01:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "she got the spirit of a writer deep within her soul nm"
In response to Reply # 0

http://msmind.blogspot.com
http://sadlymstaken.blogspot.com
http://www.sheflypaper.com/honeychile.html
http://www.myspace.com/treEmainE

http://www.sheflypaper.com

may you learn hard lessons and
pray with ease. ©lei

Winter Blaze
Charter member
1514 posts
Sat Apr-02-05 10:56 AM

6. "Great Job"
In response to Reply # 0

On both sides and beautiful look inside a writer's mind. I'll be checkin' for you more often Soulchild.

Peace
Blaze

I'm moody, I'm cranky, I'm emotional-Dammit just leave me alone

Step into my lair and see what happens next

truth
Charter member
242 posts
Sat Apr-02-05 08:34 PM

7. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII"
In response to Reply # 0

this was really fresh. i think u have a lotta wrinkles in your writing gurl... i appreciate this issue.

Intrepid Vixen
Member since Nov 07th 2004
2150 posts
Sun Apr-03-05 05:51 PM

8. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII"
In response to Reply # 0

As usual late again! But, another beautiful interview and insight into another poet's spirit and mind. A very nice read!
~~~~~~~~
if you like my poems let them
walk in the evening,a little behind you

then people will say
"Along this road i saw a princess pass
on her way to meet her lover(it was
toward nightfall)with tall and ignorant servants." e.e. cummings

Nowachaoticthing
Member since Dec 24th 2002
2178 posts
Mon Apr-04-05 09:04 AM

9. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII"
In response to Reply # 0

Entertaining and informative, as always. Much respect to Yukon.

Nice to make your aquaintence, Soulchild!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When we're writing, I'm not sure that we think of the reader. It's more that we pray not to lie, to get it right, so that if we're writing about a tree, we get that tree and not a petrified log..."

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Mon Apr-04-05 12:49 PM

10. "She is so wise beyond her years."
In response to Reply # 0

And has grown so much since she been here. Madd luv Sis

& madd props Blk.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

blak_yukon
Charter member
3901 posts
Tue Apr-05-05 02:21 AM

11. "spunky lil'chick aint she?..."
In response to Reply # 0

---------SIG-----------

once i figure out how to keep a sig and not have all chopped up whenever i respond to a post.

http://ryanavery.com/musick/

fishbowl
Member since Nov 26th 2004
3 posts
Tue Apr-05-05 12:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII"
In response to Reply # 0

lookit my baby shining!

soulchild
1272 posts
Tue Apr-05-05 12:50 PM

13. "Simon!"
In response to Reply # 12

you need to stop lurkin so much, kid.

LaDeeDeF_99
Charter member
4028 posts
Fri Apr-08-05 12:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "ahhh its my soulchild"
In response to Reply # 0

good to know soulchild is carrying the torch.

nicely done

peace
ladee

jayare214
Charter member
2209 posts
Wed Apr-13-05 06:24 PM

15. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.XIII"
In response to Reply # 0

hey this was dope kinfolk....i got a good sense for who seh was and what shes about. i like the individuality you were able to paint. good questions....
-j

my music group:
http://www.facebook.com/beataroundabush
http://www.lastfm.com/beataroundabush
http://www.reverbnation.com/beataroundabush
http://www.myspace.com/beataroundabush

My beats:
www.myspace.com/jayarejohnson

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/no

rgv
Charter member
4556 posts
Thu Apr-14-05 09:39 AM

16. "love the new logo"
In response to Reply # 0

each one gits better n better n better

i just want chu to know
how i feel
how i feel

robynwildchild
Member since May 06th 2003
4550 posts
Fri Apr-15-05 03:22 PM

17. "that's some indepth shit"
In response to Reply # 0

keep it coming i love what was stated ... damn i feel lucky to be amoung some intelligent people on this board...

i think it takes talent to be here.. .love respect.. all that good stuff.... keeping growing ...

~~~~~~~~ luv R.
https://www.facebook.com/robyn.wildchild12
psycho.
"Institutions encourage us to consider the opinions they sell as "facts" and that we "believe" rather than question the morality they pitch."
cities need fewer shopping malls and more skat

soulchild
1272 posts
Sat Apr-16-05 09:43 PM

19. "to everyone --"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for the look y'all.

rgv
Charter member
4556 posts
Sun Apr-17-05 07:29 PM

20. "two questions"
In response to Reply # 0

the images in ur work are thick; what contributes to that?

&

who is ur muse? if anyone.

i just want chu to know
how i feel
how i feel

soulchild
1272 posts
Thu Apr-21-05 08:26 AM

21. "RE: two questions"
In response to Reply # 20

I’ve always been more impressed with great imagery than word play or catchy phrases or rhymes. I always will be. I’m drawn to poetry that is charged with imagery. Images are moving. They do not beg to move you. They do not strain to wring emotion from you. They just are. I generally remember the images from books. I might remember a great choice of words or at times, exactly what a character says, but the images are what I keep with me. My imagery can stand to get thicker.

I’ve thought and written much for my brother, mostly because his destruction is more apparent than others, and easier to recognize/mourn over. I’ve written for my mother. I’ve written for those I’ve passed by in school or whom I remember from my childhood. They’re often cats that I saw/see as especially victimized. I don’t think I have one muse in particular, though. Not yet.

rgv
Charter member
4556 posts
Fri Apr-22-05 09:21 AM

22. "one more mama"
In response to Reply # 21

i cant write w/o music
& i find that if i ride a beat long enuff
i can write for a few hours straight

so, what music do u write to?

on sum level, i think, it contributes to the way a piece feels.

i just want chu to know
how i feel
how i feel

soulchild
1272 posts
Tue Apr-26-05 09:19 PM

23. "RE: one more mama"
In response to Reply # 22

hard question.
I generally like "chill" music when i write but it varies.
i like working to jazz: coltrane, miles davis, billie holiday, sarah vaughn, pat matheny, etc.
When i'm writing, sometimes i get stuck on a song. I'll listen to it over and over for days or for as long as that piece takes to write. Just the other day, i wrote an entire piece to green eyes by erykah badu. The day before that, nightengale by norah jones. before that push up ya lighter by the roots.
i thought about listing artists or songs but that list starting getting much too long.

Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #14377 Previous topic | Next topic