Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #1208

Subject: "YUKON MAGAZINE.X" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
blak_yukon
Charter member
3901 posts
Mon Jan-10-05 09:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"YUKON MAGAZINE.X"
Mon Jan-10-05 08:57 PM by delrica

Sup, world…Uncle Blak is little late but I had to come through for yall. Um…Happy New Year? Yeah, I can say that. So what resolutions or plans do you have for this year? You know they archive these monthly mags. My suggestion is to place your goals here in the thread. That way, down the line you could look at what you wanted to do or look back on what you did do, y’know. We’re starting off the year not with a Writer but with a Producer. He’s a behind the scene kinda cat who’s gathered somewhat of a cult following here on the boards. Ladies and Lady Lovers I bring to yall the amicable AUS…aka Young Will Smif. Let’s see what he’s talking about.

YM. So, how long have you been at making beats? Who and what served as your influence(s)?

Man, I started making beats I guess around 91-92. My parents got me a Yamaha psr 500 for Christmas. I think that was cool because I couldn't sample so I had to play all the loops out on the board. My parents have a library so deep that I could make a limitless amount of albums now. As far as influences, Q-Tip was always paramount because they way he flipped the jazz in his beats was just crazy to me. I had heard most of those records he sampled and I wanted to do the same thing. Then there was Jay Dee. Around 99-00 everything I was doing sounded like him.

YM. The other boards here at Okayplayer hold what's known as "SoundClash". Have you ever entered in any? Have you heard any of those cats’s material?

Well the SoundClash started in either October or November of 04 so I haven't entered any. I think it's a good concept, especially after the way it came about. The cat's that enter have all had some pretty dope ish. I don't go to the lesson like I used to. It's sorta like when I see ya'll reminisce about the golden days over here on freestyle. The magic has gone from the lesson.

YM. There's a lot of talent moving about this site, whether beatsmiths or emcees. Recently you did some stuff with a few other Freestyle Board veterans (yours truly did a lil'some over one of his joints). In an ideal setting, how would AUS pool all that talent? And create an album…I said album, that's right. What would be needed for such a project to come together, as the official "Okayplayer Experience"?

Man, that's a good one. I've done a lot of work behind the scenes with cats on the freestyle; they just haven't put it out or whatever. I'd love for the other beatmakers on the freestyle board, Jayare, Jack and Gsquared, Ric etc. to get up and collab with cats too. I think that all of the cats who have recorded with me will tell you I'm a hard ass in the studio, so my first thing would be to lure cats in. Once I get em there it's on. I just throw on beats, let the emcees pick and sling em in the booth. A lot of the things that I've done were just impromptu sessions while cats were loungin' in the studio. As far as an album though it would just take cats really coming to the booth on a mission and getting it done. I realize with the distance between all the contributors that it would be tough. I read somewhere that the reunion this year is in DC. I propose all freestyle board cats that go make a trip to Norfolk, Va, and we can get it on.

YM. Describe the AUS sound. Reason being, there are folks out there who live to dissect every twist and turn you make. People would say,"Oh...his snares are compressed like Tribe" or his drums sound real muddy…

My sound is throwback hip hop. I'm talking the shit we were banging say 92-96. Now is every beat I make along those lines, no. I really try to tailor beats to the emcees I'm making them for a lot of times. It's rare that I let an emcee come thru and just have his pick. Somebody will call and be like 'I need some beats' and I'll tell em to give me a week. The beats I give em are strictly for them. A lot of these people want that right now sound, so I dumb down and give em some ol'Kanye, Just Blaze, or Lil'Jon ish to shut em up then continue on with the throwback ish. It's funny you mention Tribe because I try to tailor a lot of my snares based on that sound.

YM. All of this for leisure or are you trying to really make something become of it.

It's a hobby that I can't get out of my system. I'm a corporate dude for real, suited up on business trips and taking conference calls. Then I got school, and than there's always the ladies. If something jumped off I'd get my money and fall back into the shadows.

YM. Real talk…how hard is it to get Amazin in the studio. Recently pulled MiracleRic and Frak into the booth too, right?

It's pretty tough. Lately he has been coming thru cause I give free time every Wednesday night. But before that it was pure hell. We'll see how he acts in 05. Working with Frak and Ric was cool as hell. Them dudes wild out just like me. I have to say they got talent as well. I think everyone already was feelin' Frak's flow, but I didn't know what I was gonna get with Ric cause I had listened to some of his previous work. Needless to say he has progressed by leaps and bounds over the last year, and he came off in the booth. I hope they come down again soon.

YM. Any last bit of business we should know? Any advice for aspiring beatmakers out there? How could someone who isn't too familiar with your work check you out?

Yeah, in 05 I'ma get on the mic a lil more. Frak was dying for me to get on, but rhyming for me is like trying to get Zin in the booth. I'm really going to try and get all the projects I got going done this year. As far as beat makers, just be versatile, be able to do you and not give a damn about what people are saying, as long as it sounds good it's cool. As far as my work, my website is down for now sow you gotta hit up soundclick. Just type in Aus, or WonderAmaze, BeatSlanginPimps, or SAUSE and it will take you to some stuff. If you want to collab hit the inbox and we can do it. Thanks Blak for the love homie, I'ma be in Texas this month we gotta get up!!

YM. Definitely…

Watch for the red flag, doggie

you will like vicversus...

You know, some of us are better than most of us in some things, but none of us are better than all of us in everything.(c) Trick Daddy

http://uncleblaksplace.blogspot.com/

----------sig-----------

http://unclevicart.com/

me and the fellas would converge and heat up some Hot Pockets in preparation for Rap City.© Roc

dude, getting a response from the folks at freestyle is like watching water boil...© Tek

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
up nm
Jan 10th 2005
hehehe
Jan 10th 2005
Ayo 05 is my year
Jan 10th 2005
lmao
Jan 12th 2005
RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.X
Jan 11th 2005
what...no anchor?
Jan 11th 2005
very different
Jan 15th 2005
RE: very different
Jan 18th 2005
      don't sell yourself short
Jan 19th 2005
           RE: don't sell yourself short
Jan 28th 2005
Jan 20th 2005
Jan 20th 2005
Jan 28th 2005
cold as ICE!!!........nukka
Jan 27th 2005
RE: cold as ICE!!!........nukka
Jan 28th 2005
"."
Jan 28th 2005
honestly....................
Jan 29th 2005
yup
Jan 29th 2005
I'm glad
Jan 30th 2005

the perfect mistake
Member since Dec 19th 2004
5090 posts
Mon Jan-10-05 02:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "up nm"
In response to Reply # 0

==============

robynwildchild
Member since May 06th 2003
4550 posts
Mon Jan-10-05 04:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "hehehe"
In response to Reply # 0

this boys making noise and he ain't playin yo.. they in the studio..

props you and your crew sound awesome along with the beats

~~~~~~~~ luv R.
https://www.facebook.com/robyn.wildchild12
psycho.
"Institutions encourage us to consider the opinions they sell as "facts" and that we "believe" rather than question the morality they pitch."
cities need fewer shopping malls and more skat

Zin
Member since Jan 21st 2004
2972 posts
Mon Jan-10-05 08:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Ayo 05 is my year"
In response to Reply # 0

keep my name IN ya mouf!!!!!!!
lets do this

sig.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess who's Back

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed Jan-12-05 06:17 AM

6. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 3

u stupid zin, *grinds feet across 05*

fuck yo year nugga!!!!

yo, big ups to aus, we gotta get down there again

tighten some ish up, ill interview blak

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

DeCisive
Member since Feb 18th 2004
1985 posts
Tue Jan-11-05 05:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.X"
In response to Reply # 0

Dope read...peace to y'all.

~Complex with the creative content on a conquest with concepts and context as concrete as poetry
~Its real and ill when I be sitting still yet still rocking to my mental rhythme.
~Its just right when I write

http://www.myspace.com/decisive147

blak_yukon
Charter member
3901 posts
Tue Jan-11-05 07:40 AM

5. "what...no anchor?"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

you will like vicversus...

You know, some of us are better than most of us in some things, but none of us are better than all of us in everything.(c) Trick Daddy

http://uncleblaksplace.blogspot.com/

----------sig-----------

http://unclevicart.com/

me and the fellas would converge and heat up some Hot Pockets in preparation for Rap City.© Roc

dude, getting a response from the folks at freestyle is like watching water boil...© Tek

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Sat Jan-15-05 04:23 PM

7. "very different"
In response to Reply # 0

i like the idea of doing a producer.

i kinda wonder though:

1) has AUS considered putting together his own record with all the cats he's worked with from this board? something along the lines of the foreign exchange album so as to sidestep the geographical awkwardeness of the endeavor.

2) what kind of plans does he have long term? will it always be a hobby?

3) does he ever perform? if not, why not?

---i'm here---

"...do what scares you..." -- l. varela

AUS
Member since Sep 25th 2002
780 posts
Tue Jan-18-05 03:55 PM

8. "RE: very different"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Jan-18-05 03:58 PM

First I gotta say thanks to Blak for the love, and to everybody else who gave this a read.

As far as the questions:

1. I hadn't thought of doing an album because I don't know how the cats around here would feel about it since some of them haven't even posted the work we've previously done. I guess I kinda feel like they might think it's whack or something, or maybe they want to do more work to it, who knows? I'd love to do something like that though.

2. I think it will always be a hobby because of the way I view hip hop nowadays. If you ain't making something for the thugs and dealers, or if it ain't for the club, then it ain't hot. I long for the times when good hip hop filled the air and video waves. To be honest I might have bought 7-10 hip hop releases since the turn of the century. 10 years ago I'd buy close to 3 a week. I just feel the type of things I like and do will always be overlooked, so I won't quit my day job.

3. I have not performed in a hip hop setting before, always with a band. My crew and I have been working on a lil something, we about 5 songs in. If we ever decide to really to do anything with it, I guess i'll have to. I'd love to be on stage rockin' it.

Basura Caliente:

S.A.U.S.E. - Distributary
The Movie Stars - Coming to the Stage

"I school a beat like I'm Aus at Harvard" - Miracle Ric

"Bless yo heart!!!!"

http://www.myspace.com/beatslanginpimps
http://www.myspace.com/s_a_u_s_e

delsbrothergeorge
Charter member
4413 posts
Wed Jan-19-05 02:12 PM

9. "don't sell yourself short"
In response to Reply # 8

you ain't gotta draft a business plan to try and do double plat, but you could put a compilation together and shop it around.

seriously. why not?

couldn't hurt. you're already putting in work. might as well share it.

---i'm here---

"...do what scares you..." -- l. varela

AUS
780 posts
Fri Jan-28-05 05:06 PM

13. "RE: don't sell yourself short"
In response to Reply # 9

yeah, we'll see. depends on if i get a few buy ins from cats.

Basura Caliente:

"Bless yo heart!!!!"

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Thu Jan-20-05 02:24 PM

10. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.X"
In response to Reply # 0

Great work "As Usual" Blak da Mack! -- ;^)

AUS -- You're Awesome! -- *Forreal Tho*

A guitar string vibrating, a measure of my soul, a breech in the silence --
I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/photosynthesis_music.htm

Jason Voorhies
Member since Nov 01st 2004
736 posts
Thu Jan-20-05 03:04 PM

11. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.X"
In response to Reply # 0

ayo...lemme get a little shine in one of these joints,duke.

j.

(chyeah.chyeah.chyeah.chyeah//cha.cha.cha.cha)

AUS
780 posts
Fri Jan-28-05 05:08 PM

14. "RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.X"
In response to Reply # 11

inbox me homie

Basura Caliente:

"Bless yo heart!!!!"

Zin
Member since Jan 21st 2004
2972 posts
Thu Jan-27-05 03:50 AM

12. "cold as ICE!!!........nukka"
In response to Reply # 0

big upping this '06 shit thers only one year left ha ha ha

sig.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess who's Back

AUS
780 posts
Fri Jan-28-05 05:08 PM

15. "RE: cold as ICE!!!........nukka"
In response to Reply # 12

watch it blu bwoy

Basura Caliente:

"Bless yo heart!!!!"

Jason Voorhies
Member since Nov 01st 2004
736 posts
Fri Jan-28-05 05:23 PM

16. "".""
In response to Reply # 0

j.

(chyeah.chyeah.chyeah.chyeah//cha.cha.cha.cha)

Instant Axis
Member since Nov 15th 2002
1953 posts
Sat Jan-29-05 07:59 PM

17. "honestly...................."
In response to Reply # 0

..one of the best views in a looooong time as far as interviews...this was nice indeed...AUS....you abeast fam...we need to link up once again on some focused shit...Blak...you keep banging shit out...respect...peace yall.

fuck a sig!!!

why MiracleRic thinks me and him clic aight, here's the reason, u real with yours, i am once i bring my guard down, we both stupid as hell, we both got our talents, want a lot of the same things, like a lot of the same things, we both

Instant Axis
Member since Nov 15th 2002
1953 posts
Sat Jan-29-05 08:02 PM

18. "yup"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-29-05 08:02 PM

fuck a sig!!!

why MiracleRic thinks me and him clic aight, here's the reason, u real with yours, i am once i bring my guard down, we both stupid as hell, we both got our talents, want a lot of the same things, like a lot of the same things, we both

Intrepid Vixen
Member since Nov 07th 2004
2150 posts
Sun Jan-30-05 05:18 PM

19. "I'm glad"
In response to Reply # 18

that I had a chance to read this article because it was done very well, Blak. And I have to admit that I have to go to that site to hear some stuff. As an aspiring music engineer, I feel that it's my duty to keep my ears attuned to what's going on. I'm a bit jaded about the music industry too. I mean yeah, I like 50's Disco Inferno for the beat, but if you were to ask me what's he about lyrically, I couldn't tell you because his music doesn't really do it for me. I thank you again for the interview, Blak. U did good!!!

~*~
Beauty is in my ear
I sketch beautiful
rhythms with a pen
canvassing
my thoughts
artfully articulated
into harmonies of
words
~*~ KSB ~*~

"My fear is my only courage."
Bob Marley

~~~~~~~~
When One learns
to live without fear,
then One cannot be broken.

Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #1208 Previous topic | Next topic